PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McAllister

matty_f
14-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Anyone know where he got the nickname 'Crunchie'?

Came up in a discussion at work, and nobody could give a definitive answer...

truehibernian
14-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Kevin played in a youth team where one of his team mates was nicknamed "Crunch" due to his "nippy bar steward" tenacity in the tackle. Kevin, similar in style then, became known as "Wee Crunchie".......the smaller but equally as nippy player :agree:

magpie1892
14-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I heard it was because his centres were light and fluffy.

Judas Iscariot
14-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Cos he likes crunchies :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Cos he likes crunchies :agree:

Nearly. It was because he loved Fridays. :agree:

Andy74
14-12-2009, 02:14 PM
This has reminded me of something I learned in the last few days that surprised me.

Crunchie once recommended to me a wee guy, James Cunning, who was a winger a bit like him back when I was doing some work with an agent. I went to see him a couple of times then met him and his family and got him signed up.

He got freed by Falkirk and we got some trials fixed up for him at other teams. Sometimes he turned up, sometimes he didn't! He was more interested in music I remember at the time. Anyway, Cowdenbeath asked to see him and he did well, Craig Levein called to say the guy was a bit special. He ended up playing a few games for them and then drifted away a bit going on to a few different clubs.

I'd wondered a few times how things ended up for him until I read the other day that as some stage he became known as James Allan and he evidently concentrated more on his music as he is lead singer of Glasvegas!

Anyway, a wee thread hijack!

truehibernian
14-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I listened to a radio interview he did with Janice Forsyth andy and he said much the same. Very modest about his playing career and admitted he was way more into music but said he had been told he was good at football by those around him. Sounded a very grounded young man to be honest.