PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Zemmama/McGeady

SidBurns
14-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Morning all, no doubt I will get shot down in flames for this but heard from a very good source (a Hibs employee) that it looks like McGeady is away to Birmingham in January with Zemmama heading to the green half of the ugly sisters. When is the wee man contracted to? Could Galbraith, Spooney etc do just as good a job or should we go in for another winger/playmaker?

Thoughts?

CallumLaidlaw
14-12-2009, 10:03 AM
£5m and they can have him :agree:

Aldo
14-12-2009, 10:08 AM
He is contracted to us until 2011. They can GTF. RP will not let him go for peanuts infact the wee man is due us a season after us letting him go on loan to help his family life. Ask him to sign an extension and then he plays out of his skin next season...then gets a move to a big club and we rake in 3 or so million.

He is remember a full international and plays every week for us.

We shall see.

oneone73
14-12-2009, 10:11 AM
The Smellies would have to reapply for a work permit I believe. Not gonna happen.

jacomo
14-12-2009, 10:22 AM
£5m and they can have him :agree:

The Smellies would have to reapply for a work permit I believe. Not gonna happen.

:agree:

Also, Celtic have just spent £2m on Ki, the South Korean midfielder, and he WILL play, because it's a commercial decision as much as a footballing one.

That would seem to leave less room for Zemmama... who surely would rather play away from Scotland anyhow.

JackRegan
14-12-2009, 11:10 AM
McGeady is not going to Birmingham in January.

Although I do know that any cash signings for Celtic in January (The korean aside) will have to be paid for by players sales. McDonald and Scott Brown being the prime candidates for sale.

Mowbray said exactly this at a meeting he had with supporters representatives last week.

Our first priority is a central defender.

TheBall'sRound
14-12-2009, 11:11 AM

He's a regular for a top 75 international side. I think that ticks all the boxes for an automatic work permit so I doubt he'd have a problem.

Wouldn't begrudge him a big wage as he has bags of talent (and a young family) but would like to think he could do better than that mob.

I was actually just thinking this is the first time in a long time where I have no interest in taking any of Celtic's peripheral players as part of any potential deal. There's noone getting paid less than 10k a week that could possibly improve our team in my opinion.

Cold hard cash please, Mr P!

Woody1985
14-12-2009, 11:26 AM

What implications does that have for a contract extension then?

Surely he would get a work permit given that it's immediately obvious that he is at very least an SPL standard player.

Hainan Hibs
14-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Won't be happpening. Zemmama has 18 months (I think) left on his contract, RP won't accept anything less than a ridiculously high offer, and Celtic will be playing that Korean to sell some shirts.

poolman
14-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Morning all, no doubt I will get shot down in flames for this but heard from a very good source (a Hibs employee) that it looks like McGeady is away to Birmingham in January with Zemmama heading to the green half of the ugly sisters. When is the wee man contracted to? Could Galbraith, Spooney etc do just as good a job or should we go in for another winger/playmaker?

Thoughts?

The office cleaner shouldny be blabbin to all and sundry :greengrin

jacomo
14-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Although I do know that any cash signings for Celtic in January (The korean aside) will have to be paid for by players sales. McDonald and Scott Brown being the prime candidates for sale.

Mowbray said exactly this at a meeting he had with supporters representatives last week.

Really? Why those two?

I can understand that Brown would be sold if Celtic got a silly offer, but surely that's less likely now given his injury / poor form.

And Skippy is surely the best striker at Parkhead?

Calvin
14-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Mowbray also said that he wanted to "move forward together as a team and realise our ambitions together.'' Shortly after this he went to West Brom.

Don't believe everything he says :greengrin

JackRegan
14-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Really? Why those two?

I can understand that Brown would be sold if Celtic got a silly offer, but surely that's less likely now given his injury / poor form.

And Skippy is surely the best striker at Parkhead?

McDonald and Mowbray had a serious rammy, although going by what McDonald has said since, the hatchet appears to have been buried.

Brown and McDoalnd would be the prime candidates for a sale, in that we could get okay money for them and would not send the fans bonkers if they went. There would be uproar (among the hardcore/regulars anyway) if McGeady went. Personally I would keep McDonald, despite him not knowing the offside rule and being a constant whinger.

JackRegan
14-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Mowbray also said that he wanted to "move forward together as a team and realise our ambitions together.'' Shortly after this he went to West Brom.

Don't believe everything he says :greengrin

I think he sais similar, shortly before going on to join Celtic. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
14-12-2009, 01:15 PM

Thoughts?

To answer your part in bold, we would need to try and bring someone in to replace him. As much as I like David Wotherspoon (I think he has a fantastic future ahead of him), I don't believe that we have anyone else in the squad that can do the things that Zemmama can do.

As for Celtic, they can take a running jump. I would not sell our best players to other Scottish teams.

degenerated
14-12-2009, 01:25 PM

and there was me thinking it would be a good scrub :stirrer:

Green_one
14-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Zemmama going to Celtic is a possibility as he is too small for the English leagues.

Given the limited success of the others we have offloaded to them, I would not be too concerned.

I would be interested to see how much McGeady went for. McDonald is another one on the small side. OK in the land of midgets.

The fact is Celtic are unlikley to get much for their cash sales, in terms of getting better replacements. Where o where have the Celtic Quality Street kids gone. Does Glasgow not produce footballers any more? They used to be 10 a penny.

KeithTheHibby
14-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Money talks and if a good offer comes in for him he shall be off - Celtic are not in a position to turn down good money for players.

JackRegan
14-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Money talks and if a good offer comes in for him he shall be off - Celtic are not in a position to turn down good money for players.

No club is. But its not as if we need to sell him to keep the banks off our back.

If we get a silly offer and Mobray feels that that money could benefit the team in other areas then of course he goes, but he will not go on the cheap.

Gus Fring
14-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought the issue wasnt with Zoumas permit but more to do with his wifes? He left last season because she wasnt allowed in the country and Hibs went through a lot of trouble getting her in. My understanding was that if he moves the conditions of her residency would be invalid and she would be back to square one?

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought the issue wasnt with Zoumas permit but more to do with his wifes? He left last season because she wasnt allowed in the country and Hibs went through a lot of trouble getting her in. My understanding was that if he moves the conditions of her residency would be invalid and she would be back to square one?

How many does he have?:greengrin

PISTOL1875
14-12-2009, 05:46 PM
If he goes he goes , but as long as Celtic pay decent money....

matty_f
14-12-2009, 05:54 PM
If he goes he goes , but as long as Celtic pay decent money....

Won't happen. They baulked at paying the going rate for Fletcher last January, and it arguably cost them the title.

PISTOL1875
14-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Won't happen. They baulked at paying the going rate for Fletcher last January, and it arguably cost them the title.

No it never.. Fletcher never went to Celtic because of other reasons.. Celtic were happy to pay the big money...

matty_f
14-12-2009, 06:10 PM
No it never.. Fletcher never went to Celtic because of other reasons.. Celtic were happy to pay the big money...

No they weren't - their valuation of Fletcher fell short of Hibs', so the move never went ahead - Celtc refused to increase it.

Wotherspiniesta
14-12-2009, 06:12 PM
No they weren't - their valuation of Fletcher fell short of Hibs', so the move never went ahead - Celtc refused to increase it.

That was my understanding of it aswell.

Celtic valued Fletch at £1.5 Million IIRC :bye:

Rod politely told them to shove it.

PISTOL1875
14-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Inside info tells me differant....

.Sean.
14-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Can you elaborate? im sure Fletcher was certainly up for a move west.

jacomo
14-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Yes, please elaborate.

I was going to accuse you of talking absolute pony, but this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7865166.stm) does give some credence to your tale... no talk of Celtc not meeting Hibs' valuation, just a flat refusal to do business.

Anyhow, I think we were all pleased that Fletcher decided to show a little more ambition and test himself in the Premiership... and get a little closer to that dream move to Liverpool!

Woody1985
14-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Ask them how to spell different. :greengrin

Guess we're going to have to stay with the mystery then...

JackRegan
15-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Lawwell is on record as saying that "Hibs had their price for the player, which did not match our valuation)

We were arguing the toss over £500k in total and £250k in the upfront fee.

Cheers Peter, that league would have been nice though.

Cropley10
15-12-2009, 02:07 PM

My inside info told me that Fletch wanted to go - a big money move, especially when there were no other takers. It didn't happen for one simple reason...

So what do you know - or are you just talking 'pony'?

PISTOL1875
15-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Do you honestly think I am going to put my info on this ???

johnbc70
15-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Do you honestly think I am going to put my info on this ???

Yes - seems a fair enough request after what you have stated. Why not?

PISTOL1875
15-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes - seems a fair enough request after what you have stated. Why not?

Because I don't think it would be advisable to mention certain players names....

johnbc70
15-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Because I don't think it would be advisable to mention certain players names....

Just substitute them for other names, Mr X, Mr Y etc. So you can feel free to spill the beans without mentioning any names.......

God Petrie
15-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Celtic can have Zemmama for £10m plus Scott Brown and Gary Caldwell has to personally come to my house and lick my testicles.

Cropley10
15-12-2009, 09:18 PM

Who's asked you to mention players names:confused: quite the opposite - we're all keen to hear another side to the story.

FWIW - I got my info from a friend of the player, who's not - and never has been - a Hibs player.:cool2: