PDA

View Full Version : Rangers the target

Toaods
12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
as they say, let's just concentrate on the team sitting above us, so 3 points next week, don't care if the whole team are crap then bring on the Huns at ER to go second place on merit.....:flag:

Sir David Gray
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
If Rangers win both games before they meet us and we beat Aberdeen next week, the best we can be is two points behind them after we play them.

We need them to drop points either against Dundee Utd at Tannadice on Tuesday or against Motherwell at Ibrox next week, if we are to have a chance of being above them after we play them.

Hibercelona
12-12-2009, 10:56 PM
If Rangers win both games before they meet us and we beat Aberdeen next week, the best we can be is two points behind them after we play them.

We need them to drop points either against Dundee Utd at Tannadice on Tuesday or against Motherwell at Ibrox next week, if we are to have a chance of being above them after we play them.

2 very tough teams for the buns. I can see them dropping somewhere. :agree:

PC Stamp
12-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Their games after those two are against us, Celtc & then Dundee Utd again!

Sir David Gray
12-12-2009, 10:59 PM

I think they'll beat Motherwell at home next week but Dundee Utd at Tannadice might be a tricky one.

Houchy
12-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I think they'll beat Motherwell at home next week but Dundee Utd at Tannadice might be a tricky one.

United couldnae even beat half a ****ty hertz team though... thankfully for us.

Sir David Gray
12-12-2009, 11:29 PM
United couldnae even beat half a ****ty hertz team though... thankfully for us.

I believe they'll have Buaben and Gomis back for the Rangers game, though.

They should make a difference to their side.

Spike Mandela
12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
If we can only draw at Kilmarnock what chance is there of us winning at Pittodrie?

We're not exactly winning loads of away games and playing an Aberdeen team playing with a grudge against us after feeling (wrongly) that an injustice was done at ER.

Right now I think we should be more worried about us dropping points than Rangers or Celtic. Until good Hibs teams can get over their away day struggles with bottom six teams we will never challenge the OF.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2009, 12:04 AM
If we can only draw at Kilmarnock what chance is there of us winning at Pittodrie?

We're not exactly winning loads of away games and playing an Aberdeen team playing with a grudge against us after feeling (wrongly) that an injustice was done at ER.

Right now I think we should be more worried about us dropping points than Rangers or Celtic. Until good Hibs teams can get over their away day struggles with bottom six teams we will never challenge the OF.

:agree: Although it's great that we've extended our unbeaten run, if we are serious about challenging the Old Firm, we need to go to places like Rugby Park and take the three points, instead of just one.

I don't believe we will finish in the top two this season but I would be pretty disappointed if we don't finish 3rd.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Personally, I'll rub one out if we put up a good fight in the Tennents Sixes :agree:

Toaods
13-12-2009, 12:10 AM

...as much chance as Hamilton and Motherwell had.

CheesyHibby
13-12-2009, 01:44 PM
:agree: Although it's great that we've extended our unbeaten run, if we are serious about challenging the Old Firm, we need to go to places like Rugby Park and take the three points, instead of just one.

I don't believe we will finish in the top two this season but I would be pretty disappointed if we don't finish 3rd.

Absolutely, can't believe how bad our record is at places like rugby park and st mirren. Bizaare really. Not sure exactly what the reason is for it. Perhaps theres an element of complacency in a kind of 'turn up and win' attitude in the side? But its gone on for too long. I travel to away games regularly and have seen some pretty piss poor performances.

Jack
13-12-2009, 01:57 PM
We'll have to keep an eye on our bums as well. These Dundee Cake folk are still too close for comfort.
Am I right in thinking we could win all our games to the end of the year and end up dropping a place in the league?

Craig_in_Prague
13-12-2009, 02:04 PM
It'll be great to stay as close to Rangers as possible, and for as long as possible, but we all know eventually the gap will become greater and greater.
Still, it's nice to keep looking up as apposed to down, However, UTD are right up there too, so obviously hard to ignore. It looks like Hibs and UTD will take 3rd and 4th places this season, what's the situation with European qualification - I mean what will 4th earn? Nowt? Depends on who wins Scottish cup?

4th looks like the worse we'll do IMO, so just wondering if 3rd is a must or not.

basehibby
13-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Don't think that splitting the top two is Yogi's stated objective this season although all the fuds in the media would have us believing it.

As it goes though, I think the performance at Killie represented an improvement on away from compared to recent seasons, which surely is as much as can be seriously expected of Hughes at this stage - if Riordan's screamer at the end had gone in it would not have been an undeserved win IMO.
The sheep, although traditionally a tougher prospect than Killie, would struggle to score in a flock of ewes in season at the moment - consequently I think there's every chance Hibs could take the points from them next week - that will be plenty enough to keep the knock-kneed huns nervous in advance of their trip to ER - especially if they fail to win at Tannadice this week.

James70
13-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I think that yesterday may be a turning point in the season. Now that both the OF are out of Europe they can concentrate completely on the league. They both had good wins yesterday and Hibs now have 5 difficult matches ahead of us. I am very confident we can finish the season in 3rd or 4th place but I cannot honestly see us improving on that.

Vini1875
13-12-2009, 03:16 PM
At this point of the season I really believe in the boring take each game as it comes and not care who is around us. All we can do is win games and hope others drop points. We have a good habit of not losing but it would great to get into a habit of finishing off teams.

Next is Aberdeen and that is a tall order we need to be firing on all cylinders and not caring about what the huns do.

thebakerboy
13-12-2009, 05:02 PM
The best thing at the present time for me is the 9 point gap to well in 5th and 11 to the sheep in 6th allowing us the luxury to look upwards and hopefully onwards to wherever we we end up :greengrin

monktonharp
13-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Right now I think we should be more worried about us dropping points than Rangers or Celtic. Until good Hibs teams can get over their away day struggles with bottom six teams we will never challenge the OF.The sheep have a grudge /chip on their shoulders about everybody at this moment. they were chanting "cheat" to the Accies goalie after that Bassa Miller knacked him wi' a challenge. the goalie never made it,at the second half. WE should not fear going up there,to play a team beaten by accies,motherwell etc at home. Pittodrie used to be a bit of a fortress,it's no now.

Toaods
13-12-2009, 09:51 PM
The sheep have a grudge /chip on their shoulders about everybody at this moment. they were chanting "cheat" to the Accies goalie after that Bassa Miller knacked him wi' a challenge. the goalie never made it,at the second half. WE should not fear going up there,to play a team beaten by accies,motherwell etc at home. Pittodrie used to be a bit of a fortress,it's no now.

:agree:

...someone needs to take a yellow for the team and cattle Lee Miller before he cons a decision against us.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2009, 10:02 PM
It'll be great to stay as close to Rangers as possible, and for as long as possible, but we all know eventually the gap will become greater and greater.
Still, it's nice to keep looking up as apposed to down, However, UTD are right up there too, so obviously hard to ignore. It looks like Hibs and UTD will take 3rd and 4th places this season, what's the situation with European qualification - I mean what will 4th earn? Nowt? Depends on who wins Scottish cup?

4th looks like the worse we'll do IMO, so just wondering if 3rd is a must or not.

If we finish 4th, we will probably enter next season's Europa League at the second qualifying round stage, if we finish 3rd then we will enter at the third qualifying round stage and if we win the Scottish Cup then we'll enter at the play off round stage.

If we finish 4th, we'll need to start in the second week of July, which will be pretty much the same as the Intertoto Cup.

We'll have to keep an eye on our bums as well. These Dundee Cake folk are still too close for comfort.
Am I right in thinking we could win all our games to the end of the year and end up dropping a place in the league?

:agree:

We will play three games before 2009 is out and Dundee Utd have four games left.

If we both win all our games, we will be one point behind Dundee Utd going into the New Year.

HibbyAndy
13-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Cannae wait..bring the Hun twats on soon as!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: