PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Old Firm In My Lifetime.............

BroxburnHibee
12-12-2009, 08:52 PM
And yet they are still sitting at the top of the table - and beginning to edge away :bitchy:

Despite all the positives this season it is a little bit premature IMO to be talking about splitting them.

Pleasing thing for me is the disappointment shown at ONLY drawing today.

I'd like to think we could keep a challenge up but I've been watching Hibs too long to get carried away.

Are we really only a couple of players away - or could a couple of injuries scupper us?

CalgaryHibs
12-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Was thinking aboot this as well,
i agree with yoo one or two more players we could be on top.

But it does show how bad the other teams are in Scotland.(not Hibs:greengrin)

Sir David Gray
12-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how awful the Old Firm are this season and how close Dundee Utd and Hibs are getting to them and mentioning that someone else has a real chance of splitting them or even winning the league.

And yet despite all that, if Rangers beat Dundee Utd on Tuesday, they will be five points ahead of us and Celtic will be four points ahead.

It really doesn't say too much for us and Dundee Utd if Rangers and Celtic are supposedly so bad this year.

Spike Mandela
12-12-2009, 10:41 PM
We're not going to win the league or split the OF, get over it!!:devil:

Now finishing third and Europa league...............possibly:hmmm:

CorrieHibs
13-12-2009, 10:42 AM
And yet they are still sitting at the top of the table - and beginning to edge away :bitchy:

Despite all the positives this season it is a little bit premature IMO to be talking about splitting them.

I'd like to think we could keep a challenge up but I've been watching Hibs too long to get carried away.

Are we really only a couple of players away - or could a couple of injuries scupper us?

I said it from the start we have no chance of splitting the old firm we must concentrate on finishing 3rd. Our away form is very poor yet another draw away from home to a very average side. Still its not worse celtic team I've seen remember cetic were in free fall finishing 4th in the league.Same year Motherwell finished 2nd and Hibs 3rd. That's the worse Celtic team.

Baader
13-12-2009, 10:48 AM
They will start to edge away. Realistically I could not see us splitting them at the end of the season - think we'll be a good bit off them. We may finish third, which given what we were like last season, shouldn't be seen as anything less than a great achievement.

BroxburnHibee
13-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I said it from the start we have no chance of splitting the old firm we must concentrate on finishing 3rd. Our away form is very poor yet another draw away from home to a very average side. Still its not worse celtic team I've seen remember cetic were in free fall finishing 4th in the league.Same year Motherwell finished 2nd and Hibs 3rd. That's the worse Celtic team.

:agree:

But at that time Rangers were excellent.........my OP said Old Firm.

They are both rank rotten just now and that hasn't happened before IMO.

Malthibby
13-12-2009, 12:03 PM
You youngsters forget the 'New Firm' years when Aberdeen in particular walked all over Rantic.
Rangers in particular were usually beaten before they stepped on the pitch at Pittodrie.
We unfortunately were pretty awful back then, but watching Rantic being done over on a regular basis was some compensation.
I also remember when Ibrox was redeveloped that the main discussion was whether the builder had used the wrong plans, because the stands faced the pitch.
Money talks far too loudly to hope the gruesome twosome fall apart again, but we can always hope. They are not invulnerable.
GG

Nando™
13-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Rangers were miles worse in 2005/06.

joe breezy
13-12-2009, 12:52 PM
There's no way this is the worst Old Firm in your lifetime if you're 42

BroxburnHibee
13-12-2009, 12:56 PM
There's no way this is the worst Old Firm in your lifetime if you're 42

I said IMO............its the worst one I remember. :greengrin

CB_NO3
13-12-2009, 01:09 PM
The difference between us and the old firm is the away form and I think it has something to do with the fact that there fans cover half the stadium when they play teams like Dundee United, Motherwell and Kilmarnock, so even when they are playing poor there fans get behind the team and it drives them on.

Hibercelona
13-12-2009, 01:16 PM
We are "not" going to split the OF. Our target isn't Rangers, its 3rd place.

All this "OF splitting" stuff is beginning to get extremely yammish.

We have a great squad of players. But being realistic, we are simply not strong enough for a top 2 finish.

Not saying we shouldn't give it our darn best anyway though. :agree:

basehibby
13-12-2009, 01:33 PM

There's been much paper talk about the possibility of a serious challenge this season from Hibs and Dundee Utd. - of course it IS a possibility but lets keep it in perspective - Hibs/Arabs would usually probably be about 50-1 to finish second in the SPL - this season it might be something more like 10-1.
Big improvement but still hardly a racing certainty - if disaster were to strike one of the OF in the shape of injuries etc and Hibs/Arabs could maintain their good form through to May then it COULD happen - big IF though.

The_Todd
14-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I still think once Rangers have played us, United and Celtic short of Bougherra in the space of a couple of weeks we'll be able to better measure how far ahead of us they are.

It will still be interesting to see how they shape up post transfer window, too.

CallumLaidlaw
14-12-2009, 07:48 AM
It might well be "the worst Old Firm" in years BUT their squads are still bigger, and the players they have at their disposal are still on much higher salaries than we can afford. We might critisize their players, and say the likes of Caldwell, Kenny Miller, Fortune, Broadfoot,etc are p!sh, but the truth is, they would get into any other first 11 outside the top 2. Lets remember, we talk about how we would take Caddis, Stevie Smith, Willo Flood at ER, yet they are getting nowhere near their respective first 11's.

I would love to see us challenge them, but I expect Celtic to break away from everyone, Rangers to finish about 10-15pts ahead of 3rd, and then us?Dundee Utd/Motherwell/Aberdeen to fight out the order of the rest of the top 6.

I said at the start of the season that all I wanted was progress, which meant better performances and 5th in the league. I am now getting greedy for 3rd now, but if we took 4th, we have shown great improvement, will get at least a couple of european games next year, and give us room to improve for the following year.

northseahibby
14-12-2009, 09:40 PM
:top marks
It might well be "the worst Old Firm" in years BUT their squads are still bigger, and the players they have at their disposal are still on much higher salaries than we can afford. We might critisize their players, and say the likes of Caldwell, Kenny Miller, Fortune, Broadfoot,etc are p!sh, but the truth is, they would get into any other first 11 outside the top 2. Lets remember, we talk about how we would take Caddis, Stevie Smith, Willo Flood at ER, yet they are getting nowhere near their respective first 11's.

I would love to see us challenge them, but I expect Celtic to break away from everyone, Rangers to finish about 10-15pts ahead of 3rd, and then us?Dundee Utd/Motherwell/Aberdeen to fight out the order of the rest of the top 6.

I said at the start of the season that all I wanted was progress, which meant better performances and 5th in the league. I am now getting greedy for 3rd now, but if we took 4th, we have shown great improvement, will get at least a couple of european games next year, and give us room to improve for the following year.