PDA

View Full Version : Maka

Pages : 1 2 [3]

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I thought it was a foul when I saw it on Sky yesterday. The BBC highlights only strengthen that view.

The lesson? If he's going to get challenged in future, he should punch clear.

:top marks :agree:

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 09:27 AM
The results of the poll are quite interesting, 80% -20% in favour of Stack. I firmly believe Stack is the more competent keeper. And i believe Yogi wont have this problem next season. He will let Maka leave, and replace him. It wont bother me one bit, and if he can get someone as good as Stack, we wont go far wrong.Three games,one goal lost... And now i've seen it on telly it confirms what I thought at the time.. A DEFINITE foul. The guy delberately ran into him. Wasn't even lokking at the ball! But there are people that think he's a nightmare. Tell me that Static would have got to that header in the first have... I dare you..:cool2:

down the slope
14-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Three games,one goal lost... And now i've seen it on telly it confirms what I thought at the time.. A DEFINITE foul. The guy delberately ran into him. Wasn't even lokking at the ball! But there are people that think he's a nightmare. Tell me that Static would have got to that header in the first have... I dare you..:cool2:

Yes he would have got the header in the first half.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes he would have got the header in the first half.

I think so as well.

Hughes in the The Scotsman says "Big Yves fell over Chris Hogg at the goal, when he came off his line for the ball. I didn't see it as a foul on the keeper”, but the Makka apologist no doubt know better! Stop pretending guys – the evidence is all against you, take the blinkers off!

Interesting.

Andy74
14-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought it was a foul when I saw it on Sky yesterday. The BBC highlights only strengthen that view.

The lesson? If he's going to get challenged in future, he should punch clear.

John Hughes didn't seem to see it as a foul:

"Big Yves fell over Chris Hogg at the goal, when he came off his line for the ball. I didn't see it as a foul on the keeper; but the way we hit back so quickly pleased me"

Stack will be back when he's fit enough. No doubt about that. I've defended Maka for so long but we just can't have this sort of debate every 2 or 3 weeks and he's showing no signs of just cutting out those little moments that get in the way of otherwise every good performances. Such is the life of a goalkeeper though.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Three games,one goal lost... And now i've seen it on telly it confirms what I thought at the time.. A DEFINITE foul. The guy delberately ran into him. Wasn't even lokking at the ball! But there are people that think he's a nightmare. Tell me that Static would have got to that header in the first have... I dare you..:cool2:

I think you should ease up with the insulting of Graham Stack. Using words like that only proves that you're just as bad as the people you critisise.

In reference to your dubious question, however, the header to which you refer was going past the post.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2009, 09:42 AM

"Big Yves fell over Chris Hogg at the goal, when he came off his line for the ball. I didn't see it as a foul on the keeper; but the way we hit back so quickly pleased me"

Stack will be back when he's fit enough. No doubt about that. I've defended Maka for so long but we just can't have this sort of debate every 2 or 3 weeks and he's showing no signs of just cutting out those little moments that get in the way of otherwise every good performances. Such is the life of a goalkeeper though.

John Hughes is wrong, then.

It was clearly a foul.

Judas Iscariot
14-12-2009, 09:42 AM

It wasn't a DEFINATE foul as the ref never blew..

Play to the whistle, schoolboy stuff..

The same with punching instead of trying to catch when under pressure..

The same basic schoolboy errors from Maka..

The name calling of Stack just makes you look like a bitter, immature bairn..

It must really hurt you deep inside that Stack is a THE better option for our number 1 and he's favoured by the majority of the support and more importantly Yogi..

Hibbyradge
14-12-2009, 09:44 AM
It wasn't a DEFINATE foul as the ref never blew..

Play to the whistle, schoolboy stuff..

The same with punching instead of trying to catch when under pressure..

The same basic schoolboy errors from Maka..

The name calling of Stack just makes you look like a bitter, immature bairn..

It must really hurt you deep inside that Stack is a THE better option for our number 1 and he's favoured by the majority of the support and more importantly Yogi..

It should have been, though.

I'm DEFINITE about that. :wink:

down the slope
14-12-2009, 09:49 AM
All we are doing is going round in circles with this post, why not leave the decision to the manager who watches both keepers on a daily basis, it's not hard to work out which keeper Hughes thinks is best.

Judas Iscariot
14-12-2009, 09:50 AM
It should have been, though.

I'm DEFINITE about that. :wink:

I agree that it should have been, but it wasn't given :wink:

If he had punched, cleared house, or stayed on his line we wouldn't be having the 10+ pages of debate..

Still, keeps it interesting i suppose :cool2:

ArabHibee
14-12-2009, 09:59 AM

So what was Yogi going mental about? Must have been at Maka for dropping the ball? (in Yogi's eyes) :dunno:

I think you should ease up with the insulting of Graham Stack. Using words like that only proves that you're just as bad as the people you critisise.

In reference to your dubious question, however, the header to which you refer was going past the post.

If we're talking about the same shot on goal, I think it was going in the top corner and was a good save.

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree that it should have been, but it wasn't given :wink:

If he had punched, cleared house, or stayed on his line we wouldn't be having the 10+ pages of debate..

Still, keeps it interesting i suppose :cool2:What would be your opinion of someone who has seen the BBC highlights and doesn't think it was a foul on the goalie?

wee 162
14-12-2009, 10:35 AM
So what was Yogi going mental about? Must have been at Maka for dropping the ball? (in Yogi's eyes) :dunno:
He was going radge at the ref (so was Nish) so he did think it was a foul imo. Which doesn't mean he has to come out in the papers and slate the refs. Far far better to take it and hope that it's been noted that he didn't go berserk at a ref when he had every chance to. That's in stark contrast to most other managers in the league this season.

Will that do us any good long term? Who knows. But refs aren't going to be looking to give something against us due to Yogi shooting his mouth off about them in the papers.

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 10:37 AM
John Hughes is wrong, then.

It was clearly a foul.

It was a soft foul. I think people on here have the tinted glasses on! Its a contact sport, so there will be contact. If it were the other way and we had a foul against us we would have been screaming that it wasnt a foul.

Yes it was a soft foul, but Maka still should have done better.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 10:39 AM
What would be your opinion of someone who has seen the BBC highlights and doesn't think it was a foul on the goalie?

I'd think he's the best manager we've had in a good few years.

wee 162
14-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Do you actually believe everything you read in the papers? I'm not saying Yogi didn't say it, but other classics this season have included "Zemmama trained yesterday" the day before the Derby and after Zemmama had been pulled out of the Morocco squad for a game the following week!

bawheid
14-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Agreed. He's also very very good at dealing with the media.

Yogi was apparently going radge at the referee at the time. Was he not being held back by the fourth official?

With Stack likely to be fit for next week, it was going to be a tough decision for Yogi to make. I think Stack is his favourite though - being one of his signings - and agreeing with the referee that it wasn't a foul gives him a good reason to put Stack back in at Pittodrie.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Do you actually believe everything you read in the papers? I'm not saying Yogi didn't say it, but other classics this season have included "Zemmama trained yesterday" the day before the Derby and after Zemmama had been pulled out of the Morocco squad for a game the following week!

No I don’t. But in this case what’s he going to lie for? He’s not protecting anyone is he?

Agreed. He's also very very good at dealing with the media.

Yogi was apparently going radge at the referee at the time. Was he not being held back by the fourth official?

:agree: He was going radge. I suppose he's now seen the highlights and realises what actually happened.

bawheid
14-12-2009, 11:10 AM
No I don’t. But in this case what’s he going to lie for? He’s not protecting anyone is he?

:agree: He was going radge. I suppose he's now seen the highlights and realises what actually happened.

He's protecting his decision to bring back his first choice next week. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 11:12 AM
He's protecting his decision to bring back his first choice next week. :wink:

I don't think our manager's so weak that he has to prep the fans for dropping someone.

It's to be expected - the number 1 keeper always plays when fit, look at Boruc coming straight back in for Zaluska - he had done little wrong when filling in but was still out right away.

bawheid
14-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think our manager's so weak that he has to prep the fans for dropping someone.

It's to be expected - the number 1 keeper always plays when fit, look at Boruc coming straight back in for Zaluska - he had done little wrong when filling in but was still out right away.

I don't think he's weak either. He's managing both Maka, Stack, the media and the fans' expectations all in one go. By agreeing with the referee, it allows him to bring back his No1 keeper. I have no problem with that at all.

I have no problem with Stack in goals for Hibs. I think he's great. I don't think Maka deserves to be dropped though.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I have no problem with Stack in goals for Hibs. I think he's great. I don't think Maka deserves to be dropped though.

I think dropped is the wrong term for it. All that's happening is the number 1 is coming back in. It happens all the time in football.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-12-2009, 11:20 AM
You called me condescending for saying pretty much the same thing earlier.

Funny, innit? :wink:

Allow me to offer an independent and impartial observation.

You're both equally condescending :nerd::spammy:

:greengrin

bawheid
14-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I think dropped is the wrong term for it. All that's happening is the number 1 is coming back in. It happens all the time in football.

If Maka doesn't play at the weekend then he's been dropped. There's no other term for it surely? Rested? Nope. Injured? Don't think so. Suspended? Nah.

Dropped. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2009, 11:30 AM
If Maka doesn't play at the weekend then he's been dropped. There's no other term for it surely? Rested? Nope. Injured? Don't think so. Suspended? Nah.

:pray:

Liberal Hibby
14-12-2009, 11:40 AM
What a lot of heat and fury over practically nothing. I thought Maka was probably fouled, but should perhaps given his height done better - but it's the sort of 50:50 incident you see almost every game - look at Liverpool's goal v Arsenal for example.

I also thought Stokes got lucky because the Killie keeper was poorly positioned.

So two goal keeping errors or two footballing incidents - you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. What we don't need is the slagging off of perfectly acceptable goalkeepers and fans falling out over trifles (and I don't mean pudding!).

SouthamptonHibs
14-12-2009, 11:45 AM
That was a 100% foul on Maka at Killie

Big mans done nothing wrong, looking at the highlights he's had a few decent saves aswell.

I think both Stack and Maka are decent, they are the best goalies we've had at the club for a good number of years.
Goalies will make mistakes but that certainly wasn't one of them as the killie guy ran into him

Hail Hail roll on Sat

PeeJay
14-12-2009, 11:48 AM
What a lot of heat and fury over practically nothing. What we don't need is the slagging off of perfectly acceptable goalkeepers and fans falling out over trifles (and I don't mean pudding!).

Disingenious to say the least, surely? This has nothing to do with a goalkeeper who made a mistake that we normally never see him make - that can happen in the game, that's forgiveable. I'm sure most of us have no problem with that at all.

The problem with Makka is
a) he makes mistakes of this nature regularly
b) his mistakes costs us as a team dearly - points and most importantly
c) he is not learning and getting better - he makes the same stupid mistakes, and we all end up in this discussion again.

Most of the fans on here don't think he's that reliable: what do you think the team thinks? Do you think they're 100% behind him, I wonder??

bawheid
14-12-2009, 11:53 AM

No he doesn't. Not this season anyway. He's arguably made one error which led to a goal. He wasn't helped by his captain or left back.

He's made a couple of mistakes that have cost us points over the course of his Hibs career. Just like the fact our front four playing as individuals rather than a unit has cost us points.

c) he is not learning and getting better - he makes the same stupid mistakes, and we all end up in this discussion again.

He's been a lot better under the new goalkeeping coach. :agree:

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 12:00 PM
What a lot of heat and fury over practically nothing. What we don't need is the slagging off of perfectly acceptable goalkeepers and fans falling out over trifles (and I don't mean pudding!).

Disingenious to say the least, surely? This has nothing to do with a goalkeeper who made a mistake that we normally never see him make - that can happen in the game, that's forgiveable. I'm sure most of us have no problem with that at all.

Most of the fans on here don't think he's that reliable: what do you think the team thinks? Do you think they're 100% behind him, I wonder??I simply cannot see how a clear thinking person can look at the highlights and not say that the goalie was very clearly and deliberately fouled! In which case this wasn't a mistake! It should have been three clean sheets in a row for the lad,nine out of nine points and a series of excellent saves,two at least which of which only he would have reached :agree: But no... He's a liability,a disaster waiting to happen .....etc etc

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2009, 12:10 PM
He's been a lot better under the new goalkeeping coach. :agree:

How in the name of god do you work that one out? He's played what. 4 and a half games this season. was involved in a comedy goal against St Mirren, could/should have done better with the goal against Falkirk, and gave everyone in the ground a heart attack in the easter road game against the same opposition. Is involved in another debatable goal at the weekend. What has Maka improved with the work of the new keepers coach?

PeeJay
14-12-2009, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=PeeJay;2274113]I simply cannot see how a clear thinking person can look at the highlights and not say that the goalie was very clearly and deliberately fouled!

Well I am clear thinking person thank you very much:wink:, and I saw a goalkeeper piddling about on the six-yard line unable to win the ball. A wee shove should not be a problem, if he commits and goes for the ball. Let's face it it's not as if a crowded penalty box is only something we see at Xmas time is it? HE'S the one that should be doing the shoving and making sure it's his ball, that's a good goalkeeper in command of his box - I can't repeat it often enough: it's his job!! Why can't clear-thinking people see that? :wink: :greengrin

We're not going to agree on this obviously, but that's not the problem. I do wonder what the team thinks of him? How divided are they about him and whether that's a good thing for us? To me it seems when Stack is in goal the team at the back seems more confident? Got to go now ... :bye:

BigKev
14-12-2009, 12:16 PM
What Maka should have done is the same as he done against Motherwell - be decisive. Decide early if he's going to punch. Or catch. Instead he goes half hearted, takes a wee dunt in the ribs and spills the ball like a school goalkeeper.

Foul? You'd want it if it was your team (as we do). If it was given against us we'd no be happy.

Maka at 6 and a half feet tall should blooter all and sundry out the way to collect a cross. He doesn't. FFS Nade managed to outjump him last season and nod in but we got a foul on that occasion (and it wasn't btw).

He sells goals. Yes he makes decent saves but lets be honest if any of Killie's other efforts had went in on Saturday we'd be having the same debate as they were both saves you'd expect any keeper to make.

My suggestion pre season was to send him out on loan - out of the spotlight where he could play every week and learn from his mistakes which IMO he isn't doing.

Whether Scott Thomson can iron out his deficiencies is debatable. Has he enough time? Does Maka have the desire to truly succeed at the top level? Can he eradicate the mistakes?

The answer to all three questions sadly I believe is no.

He does have talent - we all know that but the fact so many (players and fans) have lost faith in him surely tells it's own story.

You're confidence in him is admirable but your petty name calling of Graham Stack is IMO showing you up to be childish - as the old proverb goes "there are none so blind as those who cannot see."

Franck is God
14-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Really not sure why this thread is still going. No Hibs fan should have a single problem with how our defence and keepers are performing this season.

Stack has conceded 10 goals in 12 games, Maka has conceded 3 goals in 5 games and has yet to feature in a losing competetive match, not bad for either in my opinion.

Maka was fouled on Saturday it was not a mistake, he has the shirt and should keep it. Stack got in because of Maka's injury and kept it because he was pretty solid in nets, Maka played a major part in us winning the last two home games and made a couple of very good saves to get us a point at Killie, sorry for using facts in my argument but its just the way I roll...

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Not selected. :agree:

Maka was fouled on Saturday it was not a mistake, he has the shirt and should keep it. Stack got in because of Maka's injury and kept it because he was pretty solid in nets, Maka played a major part in us winning the last two home games and made a couple of very good saves to get us a point at Killie, sorry for using facts in my argument but its just the way I roll...

We didn't get a foul. That's a fact.

Franck is God
14-12-2009, 12:29 PM

I think you know the point I was trying to make, a free kick should have been given and wasn't so in my book that makes him a bit unlucky on the day.

The only person who's opinion counts is Yogi, he was going nuts on the touchline for a free kick so I am hoping that he didn't see it as a mistake and that Maka keeps the shirt for Saturdays game.

H18sry
14-12-2009, 12:30 PM

After Satuarday Boruc may well be dropped :agree:

Toaods
14-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Will Stack be fit?... remember he hurt his back at ER v Falkirk.

He couldn't move at the time. I remember being shocked as two Falkirk efforts were ever so slightly off target as he was standing upright without moving towards the ball whatsoever. I think in aviation terms we'd call it 'a near miss' or in football terms 'lucky'.

I would have thought he'd have been professional about it though and let the bench know long before half time when the decision was made for him.

I also recall Makalamby signalling to the bench his hamstring had gone and being duly replaced, only for the (other) usual suspects :greengrin to pan the guy as bottling out.

Pre-fixed opinions....is it racist, heightist or 'laid-back'ist ??? :devil:

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Will Stack be fit?... remember he hurt his back at ER v Falkirk.

He couldn't move at the time. I remember being shocked as two Falkirk efforts were ever so slightly off target as he was standing upright without moving towards the ball whatsoever. I think in aviation terms we'd call it 'a near miss' or in football terms 'lucky'.

I would have thought he'd have been professional about it though and let the bench know long before half time when the decision was made for him.

I also recall Makalamby signalling to the bench his hamstring had gone and being duly replaced, only for the (other) usual suspects :greengrin to pan the guy as bottling out.

Pre-fixed opinions....is it racist, heightist or 'laid-back'ist ??? :devil:

Dont think anyone is being racist on here.

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Really not sure why this thread is still going. No Hibs fan should have a single problem with how our defence and keepers are performing this season.

Stack has conceded 10 goals in 12 games, Maka has conceded 3 goals in 5 games and has yet to feature in a losing competetive match, not bad for either in my opinion.

:top marks

It's not a common approach on here with regards to Maka and this Killie goal has nailed that view for me! :agree:

CapitalHibs
14-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Never fails does it? I predict a 13 pager.

Just aboot right:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
14-12-2009, 01:40 PM

1 of our goalkeepers has chucked in 2 howlers in the 4.5 games they've played in and the other who's played more than double that hasn't yet dropped a clanger..

I know why i'm complaining..

:dummytit:

Mikeystewart
14-12-2009, 01:43 PM
There we go again. For every great few games he has, this clown makes a stupid mistake.

:grr::grr::grr:

I voted Stack but this has nothing to do with my post.

I have only seen the highlights and i thought maka had a good game. I dont think he was at fault at all for that goal, he came for it he had his hands on the ball and Simon Ford took him out. Goal shouldnt of standed, an opinion shared also by yogi who was going ape S**T on the touch line. As i said i have only seen the highlights, other than the goal by Kilmarnock I didnt see anything doubious by Maka. Hes been having a good time the last two games and i doubt Stack is going to waltz back into the team as some may think, you cant drop a keeper who is playing well.

Mikeystewart
14-12-2009, 01:51 PM
look at Liverpool's goal v Arsenal for example.

Almunia wasnt fouled, Lucas just blocked him the same way a defender sheilds the ball from a striker to let it go out for a goal kick throw in etc. I dont think there was any contact on Almunia other than him trying to jump over Lucas. Simon Ford ran right into maka and didnt even look like he was trying to play the ball

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 02:11 PM

We didn't get a foul. That's a fact.A driver who's a Hibs season ticket holder comes into my office for something....I said what about the goalie .. He said oofffff... According to the reports and the papers he dropped a clanger. I sat him down and showed him the incident on the highlights. "Ah .. To be fair that looks like a definite foul" There you go then ,you formed an opinion based on heresay but now thanks to me you know the truth. He,as a resonable person had to agree.Three games,one goal lost and that was to a blatant foul. And we have people shooting him down talking about imaginary blunders :confused:

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 02:14 PM
A driver who's a Hibs season ticket holder comes into my office for something....I said what about the goalie .. He said oofffff... According to the reports and the papers he dropped a clanger. I sat him down and showed him the incident on the highlights. "Ah .. To be fair that looks like a definite foul" There you go then ,you formed an opinion based on heresay but now thanks to me you know the truth. He,as a resonable person had to agree.Three games,one goal lost and that was to a blatant foul. And we have people shooting him down talking about imaginary blunders :confused:

To be fair, the guys probably thought, I will just agree with him so that I am not dragged into a boring arguement. The driver was probably wanting out the door as quick as possible cause your chats guff and thought agree and get out!:wink:

1875godsgift
14-12-2009, 02:25 PM
A driver who's a Hibs season ticket holder comes into my office for something....I said what about the goalie .. He said oofffff... According to the reports and the papers he dropped a clanger. I sat him down, locked all the doors and windows and showed him the incident on the highlights 42 times in a row. "Ah .. To be fair that looks like a definite foul" he whispered wearily. There you go then ,you formed an opinion based on heresay but now thanks to me you know the truth. He,as a resonable person had to agree.Three games,one goal lost and that was to a blatant foul. And we have people shooting him down talking about imaginary blunders :confused:
Fixed it for you!

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Both statements true! :cool2:

However, your line of progress on this thread has been to ignore, and I mean "ignore as if it didn't happen as to do so would destroy the message in every other post I (i.e. you (DH)) have made on this thread" as it as clear beyond any reasonable doubt that Ford bumped Maka whilst Maka was in mid air making it impossible for him to do what he intended when he started his jump AND by using his arm skillyfully albeit illegally, Ford also impeded Maka further from getting to the ball as he intended when he started his jump! :agree:

A free kick against Ford should have been awarded - FACT!

It was not awarded by the referee - FACT!

The goal was not Maka's fault - FACT

Anyone who cannot see this must have impaired vision, does not have access to the BBC Highlights or is working to a different agenda from what a thread about the "cause of the Killie Goal" could be expected to generate! :agree:

That is all! :confused:

Andy74
14-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Really, who cares if it was a foul or no?

In the end, he should have dealt with it, either by staying where he was and letting the defence deal with it or by coming and taking everything or getting the ball right out of there.

It's a bit like the shimmy in the Falkirk game, it wasn't a chance for them but it really shouldn't have been undertaken in the first place.

Goalkeeping is about decision making and he has shown far too often that his decision making is not good enough.

Shame, because other than that he's a cracking goalkeeper.

Colin Murdock used to be about 95% a decent centre half, problem was once every game or two he'd change all that and give away a goal.

I'm not five years old so I don't have a favourite keeper. If I am slightly critical of one it doesn't mean I'm in love with the other. Stack has some faults too but when the defence is playing well what you need is a solid keeper who can makes the saves but also keeps dramatic moments to a minimum. For that reason he is the number 1 at the club, without much question.

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 02:49 PM

However, your line of progress on this thread has been to ignore, and I mean "ignore as if it didn't happen as to do so would destroy the message in every other post I (i.e. you (DH)) have made on this thread" as it as clear beyond any reasonable doubt that Ford bumped Maka whilst Maka was in mid air making it impossible for him to do what he intended when he started his jump AND by using his arm skillyfully albeit illegally, Ford also impeded Maka further from getting to the ball as he intended when he started his jump! :agree:

Anyone who cannot see this must have impaired vision, does not have access to the BBC Highlights or is working to a different agenda from what a thread about the "cause of the Killie Goal" could be expected to generate! :agree:

You may not think its his fault, but, do you think he could have done better. I think he could have done better and people that I have spoken to, who know a lot more about goal keeping than me, because they used to be keepers, think he should have done better, and think it was perhaps because he went into his own man that he lost the ball. The person i spoke to asked me to look at some old footage of goal keepers coming out and catching the ball. This was before they were so protected and actually got barged every time they went up. So its not a case of it makes it almost impossible to catch the ball as people have said on here. In fact I would say its a case of not being fully committed to catching the ball. I am pretty sure Maka had one eye on the ball and another watching out to see if he is going to get clattered. Was it a foul, yes, a soft one, but Maka should have done better!

matty_f
14-12-2009, 02:56 PM

A pedant writes :
That's not a fact, that's an opinion. In a game where everyone is reliant on the referee's observation of the action and his interpretation of the rules, a decision like that is opinion, hence not 'FACT'.

The goal was not Maka's fault - FACT Again, this is clearly an opinion. That it's shared by others does not, and will not (ever, ever, ever) make it 'FACT'.

Or they've looked at the highlights and formed a different opinion of the incident, using perfectly healthy eyesight and with no discernable agenda one way or the other.

Is it just me, or are the arguments on this thread not becoming more and more obtuse and surreal as the thread progresses? Not aimed at you, per se, Tornado, but there's a few absolutely shocking posts in terms of well-thought out arguments in this thread.

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Fixed it for you!Haha .. Did make him watch it twice though..:greengrin

1875godsgift
14-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Haha .. Did make him watch it twice though..:greengrin
Must admit I watched it a few times too! I think we all have to realise we have two keepers with different strengths and weaknesses, mistakes are bound to happen, but at the end of the day we are unbeaten in 11 games.

Long may it continue and all the best to both our keepers!

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 03:18 PM
A pedant writes : That's not a fact, that's an opinion. In a game where everyone is reliant on the referee's observation of the action and his interpretation of the rules, a decision like that is opinion, hence not 'FACT'.

Again, this is clearly an opinion. That it's shared by others does not, and will not (ever, ever, ever) make it 'FACT'.

Or they've looked at the highlights and formed a different opinion of the incident, using perfectly healthy eyesight and with no discernable agenda one way or the other.

Is it just me, or are the arguments on this thread not becoming more and more obtuse and surreal as the thread progresses? Not aimed at you, per se, Tornado, but there's a few absolutely shocking posts in terms of well-thought out arguments in this thread.

Thanks for the compliment which I believe might be the first I have ever had on here! :wink:

Little point though in me expressing an opinion on what you seem to be inviting me to do so on! :wink:

What happened as I have seen from the BBC Highlights happened and FACT or not, in terms of how you have defined them under match conditions, for the realists, still retaining some sense of objectivity about the incident, and I class myself as one such person, Maka may have had his "errors of judgement" in the past but the Killie goal on Saturday was not his fault! :cool2:

matty_f
14-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the compliment which I believe might be the first I have ever had on here! :wink:

Little point though in me expressing an opinion on what you seem to be inviting me to do so on! :wink:

What happened as I have seen from the BBC Highlights happened and FACT or not, in terms of how you have defined them under match conditions, for the realists, still retaining some sense of objectivity about the incident, and I class myself as one such person, Maka may have had his "errors of judgement" in the past but the Killie goal on Saturday was not his fault! :cool2:

FWIW, I thought he was fouled, though I don't think he was blameless either. As others have said, you can question his decision making in coming for a cross that his defence could have (potentially) dealt with, and in trying to catch the ball when he could have punched clear of a crowded penalty area.

For the bit in bold, I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean by that. :confused:

--------
14-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Big mans done nothing wrong, looking at the highlights he's had a few decent saves aswell.

I think both Stack and Maka are decent, they are the best goalies we've had at the club for a good number of years.
Goalies will make mistakes but that certainly wasn't one of them as the killie guy ran into him

Hail Hail roll on Sat

You're too sane to be on this forum, mate.

I counted three good-to-excellent stops - one to the top corner, one with his feet at the foot of his near post, on turned round the post low down.

GS might well have made all those saves - I expect he would have - he's a good keeper. he probably wouldn't have even tried to gather the cross at their goal - Maka did because he's so much taller than GS. And he was fouled - the goal shouldn't have stood, but then how often do we get a fair crack when we're up challenging Rantic? (Never.)

BTW - did you see Petr Cech on MotD? That guy'll never make a decent keeper. He's a bombscare.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 04:19 PM

I counted three good-to-excellent stops - one to the top corner, one with his feet at the foot of his near post, on turned round the post low down.

but then how often do we get a fair crack when we're up challenging Rantic? (Never.)

So 'cos we were level on points with Rangers we never got the free-kick? BTW the saves Maka made were decent saves, that's all. If someone had let them in they'd be getting criticised.

BTW - did you see Petr Cech on MotD? That guy'll never make a decent keeper. He's a bombscare.

Andy Gray analysed his performances this season on "The Last Word" last night. I think he was correct when he said "sometimes you're better to stay where you are rather than go and not make it". I was surprised that they singled out a keeper for special mention, given the fact that I keep hearing it's only Hibs keepers the media have it in for but I did think it was a fair analysis.

You're not being fair saying Cech'll never make it though - he did make it but the thing is he has went backwards since his head injury.

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 04:19 PM

GS might well have made all those saves - I expect he would have - he's a good keeper. he probably wouldn't have even tried to gather the cross at their goal - Maka did because he's so much taller than GS. And he was fouled - the goal shouldn't have stood, but then how often do we get a fair crack when we're up challenging Rantic? (Never.)

Wasting yer time again Doddie! :agree:

I stupidly tried to bring some objectivity to a thread that should never have been started and if the OP had any sense or objectivity he would delete it but to no avail! :cool2:

Abuse and some of the "its only your opinion mate" was all I got in return when the foul is as clear as any I have seen! :confused:

So focused on blaming Maka were some folk, they didn't even comment on the stonewall penalty we should have had when Wright brought Nish down in the box late on in the game! :confused:

Once the lad moves on and the next keeper makes a mistake or two we'll be off on these tirades once again with a new victim! It might even be Stack, you just never know! :grr:

--------
14-12-2009, 04:27 PM
So 'cos we were level on points with Rangers we never got the free-kick? BTW the saves Maka made were decent saves, that's all. If someone had let them in they'd be getting criticised.

Andy Gray analysed his performances this season on "The Last Word" last night. I think he was correct when he said "sometimes you're better to stay where you are rather than go and not make it". I was surprised that they singled out a keeper for special mention, given the fact that I keep hearing it's only Hibs keepers the media have it in for but I did think it was a fair analysis.

You're not being fair saying Cech'll never make it though - he did make it but the thing is he has went backwards since his head injury.

I KNOW that, DH - I was being sarky - and I think you're absolutely right when you pinpoint the head injury as a possibly starting-point for his problems. The fact that he wears that scrum-cap tells me his confidence isn't what it should be.

Alan Hansen said something on MotD that seems relevant, too - a defence has no problem with a goalkeeper who stays on his line consistently - they know what to expect and can organise themselves accordingly. Nor do they have a problem with one who comes off his line consistently - they know what to expect etc, etc....

We have one keeper who stays on his line, and one who comes off it.

Not perhaps the easiest situation for the back four to cope with? Then we factor in the fact that goalkeepers (and all the other players) make mistakes from time to time.... :cool2:

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 04:32 PM
FWIW, I thought he was fouled, though I don't think he was blameless either. As others have said, you can question his decision making in coming for a cross that his defence could have (potentially) dealt with, and in trying to catch the ball when he could have punched clear of a crowded penalty area.

For the bit in bold, I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean by that. :confused:

You asked a question and I was simply declining to answer as we seem to be at opposite ends of a spectrum despite part of your last post. :cool2:

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 04:33 PM

I stupidly tried to bring some objectivity to a thread that should never have been started and if the OP had any sense or objectivity he would delete it but to no avail! :cool2:

Abuse and some of the "its only your opinion mate" was all I got in return when the foul is as clear as any I have seen! :confused:

So focused on blaming Maka were some folk, they didn't even comment on the stonewall penalty we should have had when Wright brought Nish down in the box late on in the game! :confused:

Once the lad moves on and the next keeper makes a mistake or two we'll be off on these tirades once again with a new victim! It might even be Stack, you just never know! :grr:

I dont think it was the fact that Maka made a couple of mistakes, it was the type of mistakes he made. He has made howlers and thats why people got on his back, coupled with the way Maka is. He is too casual and at times looks like he doesnt really care which really annoys people.

Hibs have been crying out for a consistent keeper, nothing special, a no nonsense type and because of this Stack fitted the bill and it is working when he plays. I dont doubt Maka could be a good player but he is the type of player that doesnt create a lot of confidence in others. He reminds of barthez, capable, but does some strange things. This is OK if you are at a top club where losing the odd goal to a bad mistake from a keeper wont make a difference because you will probably still score more goals than the opposition. Look at the teams who have been finishing 3rd in recent times, they normally have solid keepers, nothing special, but no howlers come to mind. As much as it pains me to say, when Hearts had a good side and were doing well they had a very solid keeper in goals.

Mistakes will always happen, but if there are a lot of them, or massive howler mistakes, people will jump all over them. If its the odd mistake, not a howler people will moan, but wont be calling GTF!

matty_f
14-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Some folk are already slating Stack, for some reason. Mental!

Nobody will be commenting on the penalty in this thread, because it's about Maka.

Who gave you abuse for having an opinion? Folk might have disagreed with you, but that's them having an opinion and voicing it - it's allowed, you know!

matty_f
14-12-2009, 04:35 PM
You asked a question and I was simply declining to answer as we seem to be at opposite ends of a spectrum despite part of your last post. :cool2:

Is that not what you were berating Danderhall Hibs for, as it was a sign that he'd lost the argument? :confused:

EVENTUALLY
14-12-2009, 04:36 PM

And what about Almunia on Sunday. He was solely responsible for Liverpool's goal when he palmed out the ball into Kuyt's path when he could easily have caught it. His woeful throwout in the first half to Sanga (I think) led to another dangerous situation and his general play was no where near what would be expected of a top class EPL Keeper.

Maka was fouled. A blind man half way down a mine shaft with a bag over his head could see that. He is far from perfect but I prefer him to Stack who struggles for cross balls and his distribution is far far too slow.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 04:37 PM
[/B]

Maka was fouled. A blind man half way down a mine shaft with a bag over his head could see that.

Any idea where Yogi was when asked about it then? How's his eyesight? :cool2:

mjhibby
14-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Hail Hail roll on Sat

Yep it was a clear foul that the ref missed and as such should not have been allowed.It hasnt been given so move on.refs make mistakes all the time and if you think the scots refs are bad just look at the english premier with the decisions man city had given against them.Its onlly because the papers are hyping the four horse race for the title that we are getting this scrutiny and given our record at killie in normal times a draw is a fair result.Lets move on to the next game and look for a good result at pittodrie.Btw it should be a tasty encounter and yogi will have to make sure nobody gets involved with the likes of miller.His challenge on the hamilton keeper was a shocker and he is a nasty piece of work that bamba will have to be careful with.

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Is that not what you were berating Danderhall Hibs for, as it was a sign that he'd lost the argument? :confused:

Just to be clear as I clearly haven't been otherwise you wouldn't be uncertain and have to ask another question, I politely declined to answer a question you asked me as I didn't think that either of us would benefit from my doing so. :agree:

Quite different from the situation you allude to late on last night with DH where he had "cajoled me" into posting an opinion on the incident, something I kept saying that I would not do unless and until I had seen the BBC Highlights as I was working yesterday and did not have access to anything else. Then, once I did express an objective view having seen those Highlights several times, DH chose to berate my opinion without apparently reading it, stating something along the lines of "he already knew what my opinion would be"! :agree:

Now, I think that there are clear differences between those two events but that's never stopped me being "wrong" on here before! :cool2:

--------
14-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Yogi was clearly raging about it at the time - he wasn't yelling at Maka, he was yelling at the ref, from the technical area in front of the main stand, and I believe he can see as well as is required to do his job. :wink:

But in his post-match he did what he's done all season - and he's wise to do so - he carefully refrained from criticising the officials.

Once it's done, it's done. No way that goal would be retrospectively disallowed. No way we'd get a retrospective penalty for the foul on Nish.

(That'd be something - Hibs called down to Rugby Park, Killie come in from training, ref books Ford for the foul on Maka, then sets up the penalty, Deek scores, 1-1 becomes 2-0 in the record books. Would Killie sell tickets for the kick?)

We can vent our opinions, but he's the manager, and if he says too much the SFA'll invite him for an interview and he may find himself watching from the stands, as Mixu did a couple of times last year. So he says nothing in front of the cameras. Wise man, as I say.

But it's perfectly clear to me that (1) the goalkeeper WAS fouled, and that (2) Hughes was incensed about it at the time.

matty_f
14-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Just to be clear as I clearly haven't been otherwise you wouldn't be uncertain and have to ask another question, I politely declined to answer a question you asked me as I didn't think that either of us would benefit from my doing so. :agree:

Quite different from the situation you allude to late on last night with DH where he had "cajoled me" into posting an opinion on the incident, something I kept saying that I would not do unless and until I had seen the BBC Highlights as I was working yesterday and did not have access to anything else. Then, once I did express an objective view having seen those Highlights several times, DH chose to berate my opinion without apparently reading it, stating something along the lines of "he already knew what my opinion would be"! :agree:

Now, I think that there are clear differences between those two events but that's never stopped me being "wrong" on here before! :cool2:

Correct! :greengrin

What question did I ask you, anyway? I checked back on the post you referred to and couldn't see one (there was a rhetorical one, which was clearly not aimed at you), but I missed the one that you mentioned.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Yogi was clearly raging about it at the time - he wasn't yelling at Maka, he was yelling at the ref, from the technical area in front of the main stand, and I believe he can see as well as is required to do his job. :wink:

But in his post-match he did what he's done all season - and he's wise to do so - he carefully refrained from criticising the officials.

Once it's done, it's done. No way that goal would be retrospectively disallowed. No way we'd get a retrospective penalty for the foul on Nish.

I'm not sure then why he didn't just "no comment" it. As it stands he's chose to go with not criticising a ref over defending his own player.

Unless he watched the highlights then changed his mind of course.

TornadoHibby
14-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Correct! :greengrin

What question did I ask you, anyway? I checked back on the post you referred to and couldn't see one (there was a rhetorical one, which was clearly not aimed at you), but I missed the one that you mentioned.

:faf:

Nice one! I'm clearly too thick to recognise rhetoric when it is clearly staring me in the face! :yawn:

This is just geting silly now and I do have something enjoyable to do now involving others with facilities booked and paid for! :bye:

bawheid
14-12-2009, 04:55 PM
This is all going round in a big circle. Let's have a group hug and be friends.

I think we're all agreed that it was a definite foul and Maka should keep his place for next week.

:flag::flag::flag:

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 04:56 PM

I think we're all agreed that it was a definite foul and Maka should keep his place for next week.

:hilarious

Dashing Bob S
14-12-2009, 04:56 PM

(That'd be something - Hibs called down to Rugby Park, Killie come in from training, ref books Ford for the foul on Maka, then sets up the penalty, Deek scores, 1-1 becomes 2-0 in the record books. Would Killie sell tickets for the kick?)

We can vent our opinions, but he's the manager, and if he says too much the SFA'll invite him for an interview and he may find himself watching from the stands, as Mixu did a couple of times last year. So he says nothing in front of the cameras. Wise man, as I say.

But it's perfectly clear to me that (1) the goalkeeper WAS fouled, and that (2) Hughes was incensed about it at the time.

But I doubt the basic facts of the matter will get in the way of the vendetta some people on this board and members of the press seem hell-bent on pursuing against our goalkeeper.

matty_f
14-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Nice one! I'm clearly too thick to recognise rhetoric when it is clearly staring me in the face! :yawn:

This is just geting silly now and I do have something enjoyable to do now involving others with facilities booked and paid for! :bye:

Seriously, what question did I ask you if it wasn't the rhetorical one?

Your posts are turning into a great big banal-athon. I'm usually quite adept at following the various different strands of conversation that go on in a thread, even one as long as this one. However, I'll admit defeat, I actually think you might be imagining posts to reply to.

matty_f
14-12-2009, 04:58 PM

:thumbsup: Best post on the matter so far!

Part/Time Supporter
14-12-2009, 05:02 PM

I think we're all agreed that it was a definite foul and Maka should keep his place for next week, if Stack is still in a state of near-paralysis.

fixed

bawheid
14-12-2009, 05:55 PM
fixed

'Mon the Hibs goalies.

silverhibee
14-12-2009, 06:22 PM

A quote from Yogi in yesterdays NOTW, for their goal, i felt our keeper has got enough of a bump on him, i take it from that he meant it was a foul on Maka, maybe the reason he was screaming at the ref right after the goal was he like most people thought it was a foul, along with Nish and Millar who were giving the ref a mouthful right after the goal, i take it they thought it was a foul too.
Two poor decisions from the ref on Saturday cost us the game, the foul that was not given on Maka for the goal and the penalty he never gave Nish.
Cant blame Maka for Saturday.

PC Stamp
14-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Doddie, this pretty well sums up the situation.

Hibs Spain
14-12-2009, 06:52 PM
A quote from Yogi in yesterdays NOTW, for their goal, i felt our keeper has got enough of a bump on him, i take it from that he meant it was a foul on Maka, maybe the reason he was screaming at the ref right after the goal was he like most people thought it was a foul, along with Nish and Millar who were giving the ref a mouthful right after the goal, i take it they thought it was a foul too.
Two poor decisions from the ref on Saturday cost us the game, the foul that was not given on Maka for the goal and the penalty he never gave Nish.
Can't blame him for a lot of things that he's been blamed for and even on Saturday he made one save that you would really have to say his almost unique physique allowed him to make.The other saves you would have to say were expected.The one from invinsible was one that could have gone past his legs but didn't.But any half decent goalie could have done that.It's the exceptional saves that he makes which far out weigh the very odd mistake when analysed that don't seem to be factored in in some peoples minds.And does anyone still think it wasn't a foul?

KiddA
14-12-2009, 07:01 PM
So you conveniently forget about his saves to keep us level, or the dodgy refereeing decision for a stonewall penalty on Nish:confused::confused:

The end of the world is nigh, it is Maka's fault

Nope only stating the facts pal, Maka has cost Hibs numerous points with his mistakes now and if he cannot command his 6 yard box then he is not good enough for Hibs. Take your Maka tinted glasses off mate :yawn:. Yes he has a a good few games but one major mistake every 4 or 5 games is not good enough for this Hibs team especially when it costs us goals.

HibbyKeith
14-12-2009, 07:04 PM
HAD the freekick (rightly) been given, we'd have all been shouting about how great maka's save was from kyle's header bound for the top corner, then how he did well with invincibles low shot.

hes a young guy, often forgotten with his size, hes still learning and through no fault of his own a refereeing error cost hibs a goal on saturday, chin up and enjoy the game next week maka!:notworthy:.

joebakerforever
14-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Just watched it on Sportscene and no question that Ford takes Maka out.

Pat Nevin compared it to American Football stuff !

Whoever had been in goal, the end result would probably have been the same.

It was a duff decision by the ref, not Maka's fault,

J-C
14-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Well just watched the highlights and it's definately a free kick for Maka at the goal, even Pat Nevin said it was a stick on free kick and I'm sure we all agree he knows what he's talking about.

madabouthibs
14-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Just watched the highlights, the Ford boy wasn't even looking for the ball, he had his back to it, he just blatantly ran straight into Maka! How the ref never gave a foul for that is beyond me likes!
I'm quite glad I watched it before slagging off the big man now! :greengrin

Perspective
14-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Ford doesn't look at the ball and clearly takes Maka out.

If he's going to be hung out to dry for that then I give up, there will be no convincing his detractors.

Malthibby
14-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Joining in the pro-Maka lobby here - he was taken out & it should have been a free kick; no way was that a 'Maka Calamity.'
Give the guy a break.
GG

Malthibby
14-12-2009, 11:14 PM
and if his name had been Boruc, we would have been screaming........
GG

Toaods
14-12-2009, 11:31 PM
funny no mention of this 'clownish blunder' in what is deemed to be a fair report generally...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hibernian/kilmarnock-1-hibernian-1-brawny-battle-fails-to-boil-over-1.991903

matty_f
14-12-2009, 11:38 PM
funny no mention of this 'clownish blunder' in what is deemed to be a fair report generally...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hibernian/kilmarnock-1-hibernian-1-brawny-battle-fails-to-boil-over-1.991903

:agree: I think most people who have seen it would be of the opinion that it should have been a foul. I don't think that necessarily means that their opinions that Maka could have dealt with the situation better any less valid though.

Toaods
15-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think that necessarily means that their opinions that Maka could have dealt with the situation better any less valid though.

'their opinions'...is that you landed firmly onto our side of the fence then?

this time Saturday morning there will proabably be a 5 page apology to Maka thread although I expect Yogi to leave him in the jersey, if not he might aswell put young Flynn on the bench every week until Maka's replacement is found. Then again we are due a defeat so if it's Saturday might as well leave Maka in and despite the 4 or 5 great saves he will likely make, the defeat will be his fault and his alone.

Mind you what if he's top notch and we win up there with a clean sheet thanks to the big guy, what the heck are we all going to doof a Sunday night/Monday lunchtime.......:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Nope only stating the facts pal, Maka has cost Hibs numerous points with his mistakes now and if he cannot command his 6 yard box then he is not good enough for Hibs. Take your Maka tinted glasses off mate :yawn:. Yes he has a a good few games but one major mistake every 4 or 5 games is not good enough for this Hibs team especially when it costs us goals.

He was fouled in the lead up to the goal.......Cut the big guy some slack...........

Dashing Bob S
15-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Ford doesn't look at the ball and clearly takes Maka out.

If he's going to be hung out to dry for that then I give up, there will be no convincing his detractors.

That's the crux of it. People in the press and some in the stands seem determined for him to go, and he'll obviously never win them over. If I were him I'd get out this ugly footballing backwater asap. Have seldom been ashamed to be a Hibs fan, but some of the myopic guff spouted on this thread, sadly much of it from posters who's views I normally have a lot of respect for, really does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Andy74
15-12-2009, 08:12 AM
That's the crux of it. People in the press and some in the stands seem determined for him to go, and he'll obviously never win them over. If I were him I'd get out this ugly footballing backwater asap. Have seldom been ashamed to be a Hibs fan, but some of the myopic guff spouted on this thread, sadly much of it from posters who's views I normally have a lot of respect for, really does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Behave yourself, like every other footballer he'll win people over by playing well. That includes cutting out bade errors of judgement. He was universally praised last week but he needs to do that for 6 or 7 weeks in a row bwfore he can convince people he is good enough to start matches.

It's not a witchunt or a conspiracy, unfortunately he has made a habit of showing up some of these shortcomings time and again and people quite rightly discuss them.

If there's a big issue with Hibs goalkeepers it's stragely quiet out there on Stack. Being consistent brings with it the rewards of being thought of as a decent keeper.

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 08:20 AM
:agree: I think most people who have seen it would be of the opinion that it should have been a foul. I don't think that necessarily means that their opinions that Maka could have dealt with the situation better any less valid though.To come for that ball was his only sensible option.He might have elected to punch but I think it's reasonable to expect protection from the ref when the foul is so blatant.Could well have missed a punch too though with someone jumping into him.

matty_f
15-12-2009, 08:38 AM
To come for that ball was his only sensible option.He might have elected to punch but I think it's reasonable to expect protection from the ref when the foul is so blatant.Could well have missed a punch too though with someone jumping into him.

At least he would have gotten it clear of the crowd, though. Given his almost unique physique I would expect him to be able to get a strong fist to the ball before he gets bumped into.

Or he could have let the defence deal with it and been in position for a save.

I agree that it's reasonable to expect protection from the ref when more often than not the goalkeepers get these decisions, however, I'd prefer it if we weren't banking on getting the decision and took the matter out of the referee's hands.

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Big mans done nothing wrong, looking at the highlights he's had a few decent saves as well.

Hail Hail roll on Sat

Both statements true!

However, your line of progress on this thread has been to ignore, and I mean "ignore as if it didn't happen as to do so would destroy the message in every other post I (i.e. you (DH)) have made on this thread" as it as clear beyond any reasonable doubt that Ford bumped Maka whilst Maka was in mid air making it impossible for him to do what he intended when he started his jump AND by using his arm skillyfully albeit illegally, Ford also impeded Maka further from getting to the ball as he intended when he started his jump!

Well I watched Sportscene last night and having used Sky+ to record it just in case I wasn't home in time for it, I watched it (the Kille goal incident) again several times afterwards. :agree:

Thankfully, the two presenters, Richard Gordon and Pat Nevin, are people that generally do speak objectively about most things and I was delighted, although naturally not surprised, that they both saw Ford's balatant run directly at Maka with no intent to play the ball as a" stonewall" foul on Maka and a serious mistake by the match referee for not awarding that free kick! :agree:

Indeed, Nevin likened it to the American Football "equivalent of" the linebacker from one team "taking out" the quarterback from the other team! :wink:

Now, to answer all of those who "bought", or at least promulgated, the theory that Yogi was screaming and shouting immediately after the goal at Maka for "cocking the whole thing up" and costing Hibs a goal, I can confirm that it was much more likely that he was seriously unhappy at Steve Conroy the match referree and the 4th official about Ford barging Maka before the goal as there was really nothing else that had happened immediately prior to that which would have made him want to shout at the referree for. Had he thought Maka had made an error, I'm sure he wouldn't have been bothering the match officials and risking incurring their wrath! :agree:

DH, particularly, why don't you try and be a bit more objective with your reckless assertions and interpretations of situations as posted on this very thread over the last 48 hrs or so that objective people see significantly differently from you when it comes to this particular Hibs player (oops, forgot, I'm on his "blocked list" apparently!)! :cool2:

I have all of last nights Sportscene recorded and, although not a computer "techie" would be happy to try and post a copy of the relevant sections of the Hibs match if anyone on this board is still in doubt that Maka was fouled and the goal was actually not his fault in any shape or form. :cool2:

Sad but true Bob that there are a number of people who "have it in for Maka" and, if you were interested enough, "trolling", or should it be "trawling" the Maka threads over the past few weeks would reveal the same suspects each time although we all know pretty much who they are.

I watch Hibs to enjoy myself and believe you me, over 45+ years, I've had some great enjoyment and some real disappointments. However, I have never even dreamt of hanging a Hibs player "out to dry" for making an error of judegement, let alone when the guy hasn't actually done anything wrong as has now been established by independent means!

That is all! :grr:

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 08:45 AM
At least he would have gotten it clear of the crowd, though. Given his almost unique physique I would expect him to be able to get a strong fist to the ball before he gets bumped into.

Or he could have let the defence deal with it and been in position for a save.

I agree that it's reasonable to expect protection from the ref when more often than not the goalkeepers get these decisions, however, I'd prefer it if we weren't banking on getting the decision and took the matter out of the referee's hands.

Now, for all of you guys who seem to be goalkeeping experts or "know someone" who might have been a "top goalkeeper" can you tell me why Nick Colgan NEVER came off his line for crosses? :cool2:

I KNOW this one so I'll be able to post that and then we can all assess (as fans only of course :wink:) just how "expert" you all are! :agree: :greengrin

My breath is bated! :wink: :greengrin

matty_f
15-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Well I watched Sportscene last night and having used Sky+ to record it just in case I wasn't home in time for it, I watched it (the Kille goal incident) again several times afterwards. :agree:

Thankfully, the two presenters, Richard Gordon and Pat Nevin, are people that generally do speak objectively about most things and I was delighted, although naturally not surprised, that they both saw Ford's balatant run directly at Maka with no intent to play the ball as a" stonewall" foul on Maka and a serious mistake by the match referee for not awarding that free kick! :agree:

Indeed, Nevin likened it to the American Football "equivalent of" the linebacker from one team "taking out" the quarterback from the other team! :wink:

Now, to answer all of those who "bought", or at least promulgated, the theory that Yogi was screaming and shouting immediately after the goal at Maka for "cocking the whole thing up" and costing Hibs a goal, I can confirm that it was much more likely that he was seriously unhappy at Steve Conroy the match referree and the 4th official about Ford barging Maka before the goal as there was really nothing else that had happened immediately prior to that which would have made him want to shout at the referree for. Had he thought Maka had made an error, I'm sure he wouldn't have been bothering the match officials and risking incurring their wrath! :agree:

DH, particularly, why don't you try and be a bit more objective with your reckless assertions and interpretations of situations as posted on this very thread over the last 48 hrs or so that objective people see significantly differently from you when it comes to this particular Hibs player (oops, forgot, I'm on his "blocked list" apparently!)! :cool2:

I have all of last nights Sportscene recorded and, although not a computer "techie" would be happy to try and post a copy of the relevant sections of the Hibs match if anyone on this board is still in doubt that Maka was fouled and the goal was actually not his fault in any shape or form. :cool2:

Sad but true Bob that there are a number of people who "have it in for Maka" and, if you were interested enough, "trolling", or should it be "trawling" the Maka threads over the past few weeks would reveal the same suspects each time although we all know pretty much who they are.

I watch Hibs to enjoy myself and believe you me, over 45+ years, I've had some great enjoyment and some real disappointments. However, I have never even dreamt of hanging a Hibs player "out to dry" for making an error of judegement, let alone when the guy hasn't actually done anything wrong as has now been established by independent means!

That is all! :grr:

Quite right too - I thought it was poor how people criticised Maka without having seen the incident I think DH's point was that people also defended him without having seen it two. I think there's merits in both points, to be honest.

FWIW, I like Maka, I think he's been playing well recently and he made some good saves on Saturday. I think his decision making at the goal could have been better, but he was fouled (IMHO) and had he not been I would assume he'd have collected the ball safely and this thread wouldn't be happening.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Now, for all of you guys who seem to be goalkeeping experts or "know someone" who might have been a "top goalkeeper" can you tell me why Nick Colgan NEVER came off his line for crosses? :cool2:

I KNOW this one so I'll be able to post that and then we can all assess (as fans only of course :wink:) just how "expert" you all are! :agree: :greengrin

He was a vampire on his days off.:wink:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 08:55 AM

having spoken to Nick about this, he said it was because he had defenders who could deal with the crosses, and he felt he had a better chance of making the save than collecting the cross.

J-C
15-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Quite right too - I thought it was poor how people criticised Maka without having seen the incident I think DH's point was that people also defended him without having seen it two. I think there's merits in both points, to be honest.

FWIW, I like Maka, I think he's been playing well recently and he made some good saves on Saturday. I think his decision making at the goal could have been better, but he was fouled (IMHO) and had he not been I would assume he'd have collected the ball safely and this thread wouldn't be happening.

Come on, it was a straight forward cross, put into an area where the goalkeeper was in no real danger of messing it up. Even the defenders didn't go near it as obviously Maka had called for it, the ball was clearly in both hands until he was barged into, to me that is good goalkeeping but p1ss poor refereeing.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 08:57 AM
having spoken to Nick about this, he said it was because he had defenders who could deal with the crosses, and he felt he had a better chance of making the save than collecting the cross.

That sounds about right, and couple that with a keeper who was not very good at coming for crosses, you come to the conclusion he made the right choice. Now Maka.:devil:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Come on, it was a straight forward cross, put into an area where the goalkeeper was in no real danger of messing it up. Even the defenders didn't go near it as obviously Maka had called for it, the ball was clearly in both hands until he was barged into, to me that is good goalkeeping but p1ss poor refereeing.

He hit Hogg :confused: when he came into a crowd of players.

Like I said, I think he's been fouled but if he'd punched it we wouldn't be having this discussion. Similarly, in the post you quoted I actually said if he hadn't been fouled he'd have had the ball cleanly.

J-C
15-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Like I said, I think he's been fouled but if he'd punched it we wouldn't be having this discussion. Similarly, in the post you quoted I actually said if he hadn't been fouled he'd have had the ball cleanly.

What I was saying was that he didn't need to punch the ball as it was a perfect cross for him to catch.

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 09:05 AM

My breath is bated! :wink: :greengrincolgan was worse than Stack for not coming off his line.A nightmare!!

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 09:07 AM

That's good..............but it's not correct, although you will doubtless spin it that way once you know the actual situation! :wink:

He was under STRICT orders not to do so by Alex McLeish as he was a firm believer in defenders dealing with crosses and often highlighted his partnership with Willie Miller in front of one of Scotland (and Hibs) best ever keepers, Jim Leighton as justification citing the fact that if they (the defenders) miss it at least the keeper is still on his line and not between the 6yd and 18yd line! :agree:

Now that's a FACT! :agree: :cool2:

Thankfully, other and better coaches are a bit more enlightened and most goalkeepers will try and deal with crosses whenever they can rather than have a ball possibly bouncing around dangerously in the goal area! :wink: :greengrin

Captain Trips
15-12-2009, 09:13 AM
A lot of debate on wether he should have actually came out for the cross, yes he should, IMO he would have caught it if not fouled. A striker might run into a position and get fouled but we never say he shouldnt have gone into that position.

I am no fan of Maka but this goal was caused by Ford fouling our keeper who was catching a cross.

JimBHibees
15-12-2009, 09:17 AM
A lot of debate on wether he should have actually came out for the cross, yes he should, IMO he would have caught it if not fouled. A striker might run into a position and get fouled but we never say he shouldnt have gone into that position.

I am no fan of Maka but this goal was caused by Ford fouling our keeper who was catching a cross.

I think it was a clear foul by Ford very deliberate and obvious so a poor miss by Conroy IMO however think Maka should have still held onto the ball.

Is Stack fit for Saturday?

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 09:18 AM

:faf::faf:

Superb, I hadn't even anticipated a complete capitulation on your part although............I had anticipated that you would defend your best mate/brother/etc or whateve DH is to you since he can't read any of my posts now that he has "blocked me" :faf:!

My job is done on this thread now!

Maka was innocent of all of the unbelievable vile pish that was horribly posted on here by a relative few people (the "usual suspects" as I will call them for now:confused:) without regard for how Maka might have felt about reading it when HE KNEW THAT HE HAD DONE NOTHING WRONG FOR THE KILLIE GOAL! :grr:

Wonder how these guys would think if a campaign started amongst their respective work-mates about something they were responsible for and where they had done nothing wrong yet the "office gossip" was villifying them unjustly highlighting "errors" never actually made!? :grr:

That is all! :cool2:

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I think it was a clear foul by Ford very deliberate and obvious so a poor miss by Conroy IMO however think Maka should have still held onto the ball.

Is Stack fit for Saturday?Hahahahaha...I've got the answer.All goalies should be fitted with a bargeometer.And over a certain reading it's a foul and under that reading he should have held on to it.:greengrin

--------
15-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Don't agree. He made the right decision - to come for the cross. He was fouled by Ford - not an accidental collision in the course of the game but a calculated foul whcih gave Maka no chance of collecting the ball.

The goalkeeper was fouled. He should have been given the free kick. Whatever mistakes Maka has or has not made in the past, this goal wasn't one of them.

I understand this, matty, and while Colgan did on occasion give me conniptions NOT coming off his line when on balance IMO he should have, the fact that he was consistent about what he was doing meant that his defenders knew they had to deal with the crosses themselves. This is how Stack plays and I have no issue with it - it's his way of doing things and that's fine.

What DOES annoy me is that by the time the game ended on Saturday we had a thread of 30 posts once again on the subject of our goalie, instigated by five posts in 7 minutes writing him off as 'not f***ing good enough to wear the jersey', and a 'clown', and castigating him for 'stupid errors' - and not one of the posters who were throwing this abuse at him had actually seen what had happened - they were all mindlessly picking up the chorus from the BBC commentary - from the likes of CRAIG BROWN, for crying out loud.

Cannae put it better than Taz_hibee did: "A bunch of Fuds who love it when we lose a goal, get a ****ing grip...."

Check the first 30 posts of the thread - you'll find the "USUAL FUDS" all lined up.

:jamboak:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 09:42 AM
:faf::faf:

Superb, I hadn't even anticipated a complete capitulation on your part although............I had anticipated that you would defend your best mate/brother/etc or whateve DH is to you since he can't read any of my posts now that he has "blocked me" :faf:!

My job is done on this thread now!

Maka was innocent of all of the unbelievable vile pish that was horribly posted on here by a relative few people (the "usual suspects" as I will call them for now:confused:) without regard for how Maka might have felt about reading it when HE KNEW THAT HE HAD DONE NOTHING WRONG FOR THE KILLIE GOAL! :grr:

Wonder how these guys would think if a campaign started amongst their respective work-mates about something they were responsible for and where they had done nothing wrong yet the "office gossip" was villifying them unjustly highlighting "errors" never actually made!? :grr:

That is all! :cool2:

Are you actually mental?

Where have I said anything other than I thought Maka was fouled, and that I thought he could have done better - I've not capitulated in the slightest.

I think you need to step away from the pills.:agree:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 09:43 AM
That's good..............but it's not correct, although you will doubtless spin it that way once you know the actual situation! :wink:

He was under STRICT orders not to do so by Alex McLeish as he was a firm believer in defenders dealing with crosses and often highlighted his partnership with Willie Miller in front of one of Scotland (and Hibs) best ever keepers, Jim Leighton as justification citing the fact that if they (the defenders) miss it at least the keeper is still on his line and not between the 6yd and 18yd line! :agree:

Now that's a FACT! :agree: :cool2:

Thankfully, other and better coaches are a bit more enlightened and most goalkeepers will try and deal with crosses whenever they can rather than have a ball possibly bouncing around dangerously in the goal area! :wink: :greengrin

It is correct, it's from the horse's mouth. :confused:

BigKev
15-12-2009, 10:06 AM

I believe you're wasting your time Matty :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
15-12-2009, 10:08 AM
What was Maka's excuse for the other two crosses he flapped at on Saturday?

:hmmm:

:fishin:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Well just watched the highlights and it's definately a free kick for Maka at the goal, even Pat Nevin said it was a stick on free kick and I'm sure we all agree he knows what he's talking about.

:agree: He’s good pundit. Although I thought the BBC were on our “don’t listen to them, they talk pish” list?

I like Yogi – he knows what he’s talking about.

How’s this thread still kicking about anyway? I thought it would be long gone.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 10:11 AM

They never happened, although if they did, static would have been rooted to the line, and panic would have ensued.

hibsbollah
15-12-2009, 10:12 AM

:yawn:
I think this thread first got boring sometime in the early sixteenth century.

Part/Time Supporter
15-12-2009, 10:14 AM
:agree: He’s good pundit. Although I thought the BBC were on our “don’t listen to them, they talk pish” list?

I like Yogi – he knows what he’s talking about.

How’s this thread still kicking about anyway? I thought it would be long gone.

Because some folk think Maka is a reliable goalkeeper.

:confused:

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Are you actually mental?

Where have I said anything other than I thought Maka was fouled, and that I thought he could have done better - I've not capitulated in the slightest.

I think you need to step away from the pills.:agree:

There now, that was very mild and you didn't like that did you evidently! :cool2:

Can you imagine how Maka might be feeling now had he been reading this thread of largely ill informed and misguided downright nasty guff ! :confused:

Sorry for using you to make a point but you did "ask" for it IMO! :wink:

Oh aye, and despite some of the comments that you have aimed at me over the last couple of days, I'm not the fool that you and your bro seem to be taking me for! :wink:

An object for your amusement when you feel like diverting attention from something else perhaps but a fool most definately not! :cool2: :greengrin

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Even when it is shown that it was a clear foul on our keeper the Maka haters admit this but follow it up by stating he still should have done better, what the **** does that mean, how do you do better while being fouled :confused::grr::confused:

GreenCastle
15-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Still think the goalkeeping postion is a weakness within the team.

Yes both have had their good moments but both have major weaknesses -

Stack - crosses / commanding 6 yard box

Maka - concentration

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 10:20 AM

NO because the majority of fans think he is a reliable keeper, the Maka haters must hate it when the fans start chanting Maka's name at ER

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Even when it is shown that it was a clear foul on our keeper the Maka haters admit this but follow it up by stating he still should have done better, what the **** does that mean, how do you do better while being fouled :confused::grr::confused:

I’m not a "Maka-hater" – I don’t think many are. Just because I/we think someone isn’t competent doesn’t mean we hate them. I work beside loads of incompetent folk – I still like some of them.

The answer to your question can be found within the previous 16 pages! Personally I don’t think there was enough of a touch for him to lose his balance, fall over his captain and drop the ball. He certainly wasn’t pole-axed as is being suggested.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 10:22 AM
NO because the majority of fans think he is a reliable keeper, the Maka haters must hate it when the fans start chanting Maka's name at ER

:tee hee: What a load of pish.

He's reliable for approx 4 games in 5 - it's the one that causes the problems.

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Still think the goalkeeping postion is a weakness within the team.

Yes both have had their good moments but both have major weaknesses -

Stack - crosses / commanding 6 yard box

Maka - concentration

Watch Sportscene or MOTD and you will see keepers making judgement errors in most games, we have become hyper about keepers since Zibi, the 2 keepers we have are as good as you will get in most SPL teams

Captain Trips
15-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I do not think Maka is reliable at all, this thread I think is maybe about fairness on his part, I have stuck into him when he has 100% been at fault.

He went for a ball was getting it and was fouled, therefore I feel any stick of him is unfair for this one. If you think it was his fault then fair enough this thread may go on with the arguments, for me I think only right on this occasion to say that he was not to blame for this goal.

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Is Stack fit for Saturday?

:fishin:I'm not aware of any mistakes this season.Are you?Surely that's an improvement on last year?That's what we were asking him to do.:confused:

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 10:26 AM
:tee hee: What a load of pish.

He's reliable for approx 4 games in 5 - it's the one that causes the problems.

Only 1 person talking pish here, Im sorry but i will take any keeper having 4 out of 5 good games any time, what Hibs player in any position has a better ratio than that.
Even when it is clear you are wrong about Saturday you try and drag up something else against Maka, just admit it it is nothing to do with his footballing ability you just dislike the man

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I’m not a "Maka-hater" – I don’t think many are. Just because I/we think someone isn’t competent doesn’t mean we hate them. I work beside loads of incompetent folk – I still like some of them.

How gracious of you big guy! :wink: Do you offer any of them help or support or are you content to watch them "wallow" I wonder? :cool2:

The answer to your question can be found within the previous 16 pages! Personally I don’t think there was enough of a touch for him to lose his balance, fall over his captain and drop the ball. He certainly wasn’t pole-axed as is being suggested.

And this despite the over-whelming evidence against you provided by and commented on as such by two very respectable and emminent football commentators, one of whom has played football at the highest levels in his career! :faf: :greengrin

You really can't make this stuff up! :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Only 1 person talking pish here, Im sorry but i will take any keeper having 4 out of 5 good games any time, what Hibs player in any position has a better ratio than that.
Even when it is clear you are wrong about Saturday you try and drag up something else against Maka, just admit it it is nothing to do with his footballing ability you just dislike the man

No I’ll not admit that – because it’s not true! I defended the guy for ages on here. It’s just the easy way out for you and the other 20% that are backing him on here to claim it’s personal dislike. I’ve never met the guy.

I don’t think I’m wrong – if you want a goalie that topples over because someone brushes past him then fine. I don’t. Neither does our manager by the sounds of things.

GreenCastle
15-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Watch Sportscene or MOTD and you will see keepers making judgement errors in most games, we have become hyper about keepers since Zibi, the 2 keepers we have are as good as you will get in most SPL teams

Agreed - goalkeeper is a very tough position and the best keepers at the top teams are the ones making fewest mistakes.

I think we have had some bad keepers over the years -

Never rated - Colgan, Simon Brown, Zibi, McNeil,

Anderson was the one who I did think was very reliable and did his job as expected for an SPL standard club.

The others often produced more howlers than most SPL keepers and we were constantly losing / drawing games due to basic mistakes.

I think in Stack we have taken a step forward - my only main concern with him is crosses - but it's quite a key area commanding your 6 yard box to then take the pressure off your defenders.

Maka - Has improved and plays best when he has something to prove. As soon as he gets in the comfort zone he seems to lose focus.

As for Saturday I think it was a foul - though a very soft one - seems goalkeepers are over protected thesedays which annoys me. But I think there was enough in the incident at the weekend to mean a freekick Hibs.

--------
15-12-2009, 10:35 AM
No I’ll not admit that – because it’s not true! I defended the guy for ages on here. It’s just the easy way out for you and the other 20% that are backing him on here to claim it’s personal dislike. I’ve never met the guy.

I don’t think I’m wrong – if you want a goalie that topples over because someone brushes past him then fine. I don’t. Neither does our manager by the sounds of things.

Come on - Ford did more than 'brush past him'. If you're in the air, both feet off the ground as he was, it takes very little to throw you right off balance.

:bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Come on - Ford did more than 'brush past him'. If you're in the air, both feet off the ground as he was, it takes very little to throw you right off balance.

:bitchy:

As far as I’ve seen (BBC and Sky Sports) Ford touched his left arm – if that’s a foul then fine. I genuinely don’t think it was that bad!

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 10:39 AM

And on and on it goes with more droning about something that has publicly been proved independently by video evidence,expert opinion and the actions of the Hibs manager IMMEDIATELY after the incident when he confronted the match referee from the technical area on the half way line remonstrating about the FOUL COMMITTED, to be WRONG! :wink:

Everyone else is wrong though guys! :wink:

:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I do not think Maka is reliable at all, this thread I think is maybe about fairness on his part, I have stuck into him when he has 100% been at fault.

He went for a ball was getting it and was fouled, therefore I feel any stick of him is unfair for this one. If you think it was his fault then fair enough this thread may go on with the arguments, for me I think only right on this occasion to say that he was not to blame for this goal.

I agree 100%. I dont want Maka as No1, in fact i'd rather we had another keeper as back up, but he was not to blame here imho.

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I agree 100%. I dont want Maka as No1, in fact i'd rather we had another keeper as back up, but he was not to blame here imho.

So in your opinion a keeper who in the last 2.5 games has lost 1 goal, which has been proved was a foul, pulled of game saving saves in all games is not good enough for Hibs, christ who will satisfy you :rolleyes:

Part/Time Supporter
15-12-2009, 10:49 AM

:agree:

Likewise, I was talking him up last season on here, because he is an improvement on Zibi, McNeil, Simon Brown et al. He has had excellent performances, particularly against the OF, which the previous keepers (particularly Zibi) rarely had. Maka tends to make terrible errors in games against lesser opposition, however, probably due to poor concentration. Stack has come in and performed reliably, which is what people should be looking for really, particularly as Hibs have a reasonable outfield team now.

The people who have been talking about an undue focus on Maka's errors are wrong. I do think Maka is underrated by the media / other fans, however, because his good performances have been largely ignored and it has been easy to lump him in with the "comedy Hibs keeper" stereotype.

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 10:51 AM

I don’t think I’m wrong – if you want a goalie that topples over because someone brushes past him then fine. I don’t. Neither does our manager by the sounds of things.Hahaha..You are some machine :greengrin..You defended the guy for ages,now he hasn't made a mistake all season and you've dumped him:confused:There's no point in talking about the points he's saved us in process?

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 10:54 AM
So in your opinion a keeper who in the last 2.5 games has lost 1 goal, which has been proved was a foul, pulled of game saving saves in all games is not good enough for Hibs, christ who will satisfy you :rolleyes:

Why dont you pull your head out your backside? He was replaced with Stack because in his first 2 games for the club this season, he was involved in ANOTHER comedy capers goal against St Mirren. The next game, he lets in a very soft goal against Falkirk. On his return he makes a couple of very dodgy decisions against St Mirren, but gets away with them. Although his manager again is not happy. He had a good game apparently against Motherwell, but again this week is dropping balls all over the shop, not the goal i may add. What will satisfy me? Anyone thats better than dropsy will do that.

matty_f
15-12-2009, 10:54 AM
There now, that was very mild and you didn't like that did you evidently! :cool2:

Can you imagine how Maka might be feeling now had he been reading this thread of largely ill informed and misguided downright nasty guff ! :confused:

Sorry for using you to make a point but you did "ask" for it IMO! :wink:

Oh aye, and despite some of the comments that you have aimed at me over the last couple of days, I'm not the fool that you and your bro seem to be taking me for! :wink:

An object for your amusement when you feel like diverting attention from something else perhaps but a fool most definately not! :cool2: :greengrin

:crazy:

FWIW, I'd imagine that Maka would be annoyed at reading the posts that slated him before anyone had seen the incident.

I never posted until I'd seen the incident, and I think my assessment has been fair and objective.

What problem have you actually got with what I've posted on the matter, as you appear to be answering points that I'm not actually making.

matty_f
15-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Likewise, I was talking him up last season on here, because he is an improvement on Zibi, McNeil, Simon Brown et al. He has had excellent performances, particularly against the OF, which the previous keepers (particularly Zibi) rarely had. Maka tends to make terrible errors in games against lesser opposition, however, probably due to poor concentration. Stack has come in and performed reliably, which is what people should be looking for really, particularly as Hibs have a reasonable outfield team now.

The people who have been talking about an undue focus on Maka's errors are wrong. I do think Maka is underrated by the media / other fans, however, because his good performances have been largely ignored and it has been easy to lump him in with the "comedy Hibs keeper" stereotype.

Good post.:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Good post. Under-rated by the media, over-rated by a section of the fans.

Hahaha..You are some machine :greengrin..You defended the guy for ages,now he hasn't made a mistake all season and you've dumped him:confused:There's no point in talking about the points he's saved us in process?

All season? How many games has he played? Anyway are you sure?...

Why dont you pull your head out your backside? He was replaced with Stack because in his first 2 games for the club this season, he was involved in ANOTHER comedy capers goal against St Mirren. The next game, he lets in a very soft goal against Falkirk. On his return he makes a couple of very dodgy decisions against St Mirren, but gets away with them. Although his manager again is not happy. He had a good game apparently against Motherwell, but again this week is dropping balls all over the shop, not the goal i may add. What will satisfy me? Anyone thats better than dropsy will do that.

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Classy come back, i might be wrong but did Stack not get gloves because Maka was injured, in the games you mention was he the only one who made mistakes? did we lose these games?
You and your pals keep going on about the manager not being happy with him but i have yet to see any comments from Yogi slating the keeper he has picked in last 3 games, in fact I was at East Mains last week and Yogi was complimetry about both his keepers, stating they both have different strengths, but dont let the truth get in the way of your vendetta against Maka, FUD!!!!!!!!! (See I can be just as classy)

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 11:07 AM
FUD!!!!!!!!! (See I can be just as classy)

I think that post was even more classless than Blackpool's. :fishin:

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 11:08 AM
:crazy:

FWIW, I'd imagine that Maka would be annoyed at reading the posts that slated him before anyone had seen the incident.

I never posted until I'd seen the incident, and I think my assessment has been fair and objective.

What problem have you actually got with what I've posted on the matter, as you appear to be answering points that I'm not actually making.

Let me explain! :cool2:

I deliberately responded to a couple of your posts in an obtuse way that I suspected might prompt you to show that you were, at least in a small way, upset with me for doing so! :agree:

It worked! :wink:

I then postulated the theory that if you got upset about fairly minor inaccuracies being "posted" about you, then imagine how Maka must be feeling if he is aware of OR, worse, has read some of the ill informed, ill advised and sometimes downright untrue guff that has been posted on here about him when the facts clearly do not support them! :agree:

Sometimes I do things for my own reasons rather than what people expect me to do! :wink:

Hopefully you now know why I did it and can accept why I did it! :cool2: :greengrin

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Thers a surprise, sticking up for your pal, like i care what you think

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Thers a surprise, sticking up for your pal, like i care what you think

:tee hee: When you get angry your spelling's rubbish.

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Oops, I do believe that you have mischeivously taken that excerpt of a post and used it entirely out of context! :cool2: :greengrin

Wonder why? :wink: :faf: :faf:

Taz_hibee
15-12-2009, 11:11 AM
:tee hee: When you get angry your spelling's rubbish.

True, just off to take a valium, is that how you spell it :wink:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Let me explain! :cool2:

I deliberately responded to a couple of your posts in an obtuse way that I suspected might prompt you to show that you were, at least in a small way, upset with me for doing so! :agree:

It worked! :wink:

I then postulated the theory that if you got upset about fairly minor inaccuracies being "posted" about you, then imagine how Maka must be feeling if he is aware of OR, worse, has read some of the ill informed, ill advised and sometimes downright untrue guff that has been posted on here about him when the facts clearly do not support them! :agree:

Sometimes I do things for my own reasons rather than what people expect me to! :wink:

Hopefully you now know why I did it and can accept why I did it! :cool2: :greengrin

I'm not, and haven't ever been, upset at you or anything you've posted. Confused? Yep. Upset - never.

FWIW, if Maka or any player is getting upset on a message board about people having an opinion over something that cost Hibs a goal then they'd probably be best to avoid the message boards.

I don't think folk should avoid posting what they think about an incident for fear of hurting a player's feelings, to be honest.

I do think folk shouldn't wade in with criticism or defence without knowing the situation, though.

I'd be interested to see if you can point me to anywhere where I've gone overboard with criticism of any Hibs player, let alone Maka, or even where I've posted comments that would upset him.

I think what's happened is that you've realised you've been barking up the wrong tree with me on this debate, and have used the 'making a point in a bizarre manner' line to get out of it without losing face, if I'm honest.

TornadoHibby
15-12-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not, and haven't ever been, upset at you or anything you've posted. Confused? Yep. Upset - never.

FWIW, if Maka or any player is getting upset on a message board about people having an opinion over something that cost Hibs a goal then they'd probably be best to avoid the message boards.

I don't think folk should avoid posting what they think about an incident for fear of hurting a player's feelings, to be honest.

I do think folk shouldn't wade in with criticism or defence without knowing the situation, though.

I'd be interested to see if you can point me to anywhere where I've gone overboard with criticism of any Hibs player, let alone Maka, or even where I've posted comments that would upset him.

I think what's happened is that you've realised you've been barking up the wrong tree with me on this debate, and have used the 'making a point in a bizarre manner' line to get out of it without losing face, if I'm honest.

Matty

Having openly explained the rationale behind a couple of my posts that not un-naturally baffled you slightly, I've lost the will to continue any further as you do seem to be ignoring this (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2275186&postcount=623) and are continuing to try and insinuate that I am some sort of fool! :cool2:

Carry on if it makes you feel better - I won't be responding to any more of your "keep taking the tablets screwball" type of posts! :wink: :faf: :faf:

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Good post. Under-rated by the media, over-rated by a section of the fans.

All season? How many games has he played? Anyway are you sure?...At Falkirk it was a good shot but I didn't expect to see the ball in the net with him in goals.Certainly not a mistake though.The St Mirren thing you could say he shouldn't have passed to Hanlon,although the pass was inch perfect and he was entitled to expect his team mate to have done better.A mistake? Dunno.Maybe 10% to blame,10% of one mistake in five games.Factor in the points that he's undoubtably saved us and I really don't see how anyone can be anything but pleased

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Classy come back,
Why thank you. :faf:
i might be wrong but did Stack not get gloves because Maka was injured, in the games you mention was he the only one who made mistakes? did we lose these games?

A very convenient injury, and no we did not lose any of those games, mostly down to the rest of the team getting Maka out of the shiiite.
You and your pals keep going on about the manager not being happy with him but i have yet to see any comments from Yogi slating the keeper he has picked in last 3 games, in fact I was at East Mains last week and Yogi was complimetry about both his keepers, stating they both have different strengths, but dont let the truth get in the way of your vendetta against Maka, FUD!!!!!!!!! (See I can be just as classy)

I dont have many mates who post on here, and none are on this thread saying Yogi is not happy with Maka. Yogi will tell you and anyone else who goes to east mains, or the pub, or holyrood castle, he is happy with every player at the club, and rates them all. One thing i will bet you, is Maka wont be at the club next season, either as 1st choice or back up.

--------
15-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I dont have many mates who post on here, and none are on this thread saying Yogi is not happy with Maka. Yogi will tell you and anyone else who goes to east mains, or the pub, or holyrood castle, he is happy with every player at the club, and rates them all. One thing i will bet you, is Maka wont be at the club next season, either as 1st choice or back up.

I wouldn't take that bet, bh.

I can't imagine Yogi doesn't keep an eye on what the supporters are saying, and I can't imagine he's happy that every week we generate a thread like this one in which BOTH of our keepers are slagged off by someone or other.

I just hope that whoever comes in for Maka doesn't make an obvious mistake first game out, or HE'll start getting pelters.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't take that bet, bh.

I can't imagine Yogi doesn't keep an eye on what the supporters are saying, and I can't imagine he's happy that every week we generate a thread like this one in which BOTH of our keepers are slagged off by someone or other.

I just hope that whoever comes in for Maka doesn't make an obvious mistake first game out, or HE'll start getting pelters.

Doddie i'd be surprised if Yogi took much notice of what people say on a message board. I dont think Maka will be here next season because A. he's out of contract i think? And B. Yogi does not rate him, whatever he may say in public.

Part/Time Supporter
15-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Doddie i'd be surprised if Yogi took much notice of what people say on a message board. I dont think Maka will be here next season because A. he's out of contract i think? And B. Yogi does not rate him, whatever he may say in public.

I would guess that he would be on a fair wedge, given that Hibs spent a few quid on compensation, where he came from and Collins intended for him to be the #1 goalie. He'll certainly be on more than you could reasonably justify for a backup goalie.

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 02:29 PM

I would guess that he would be on a fair wedge, given that Hibs spent a few quid on compensation, where he came from and Collins intended for him to be the #1 goalie. He'll certainly be on more than you could reasonably justify for a backup goalie.

:wink:

matty_f
15-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Matty

Having openly explained the rationale behind a couple of my posts that not un-naturally baffled you slightly, I've lost the will to continue any further as you do seem to be ignoring this (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2275186&postcount=623) and are continuing to try and insinuate that I am some sort of fool! :cool2:

Carry on if it makes you feel better - I won't be responding to any more of your "keep taking the tablets screwball" type of posts! :wink: :faf: :faf:

I've not ignored the post you've linked to, it's just that it has no relevance to the points we're now discussing - again you're taking this debate onto a totally abstract level whilst ignoring the questions I've asked you.

I'm not saying you're a fool, I've tried again and again to rationaly debate the points with you but time and again you've come back with increasingly banal points to counter.

KiddA
15-12-2009, 03:51 PM
He was fouled in the lead up to the goal.......Cut the big guy some slack...........

Very debatable but it looked like a mistake to me. Trust me though it wont be long until he makes another crucial mistake that will cost us. His record speaks for itself he has some great saves but then throws all his good work out the window by making crucial mistakes and like many other Hibs fans I am getting tired of it now.

God Petrie
15-12-2009, 03:52 PM
When will we get a keeper that doesn't make mistakes? I am getting sick of it.

I am getting so sick of it I have been studying a couple of potential signings called Petr Cech and Gianliugi Buffon for a while but they seem to also make mistakes therefore aren't good enough for Hibs imo.

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Very debatable but it looked like a mistake to me. Trust me though it wont be long until he makes another crucial mistake that will cost us. His record speaks for itself he has some great saves but then throws all his good work out the window by making crucial mistakes and like many other Hibs fans I am getting tired of it now.

Take your blinkers off, and you will see he was barged into......You seem to have a wee agenda against Maka....:confused:

KiddA
15-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Take your blinkers off, and you will see he was barged into......You seem to have a wee agenda against Maka....:confused:

A wee agenda, are you taking the p*ss pal? look at the amount of mistakes he has made in the past. Like I said before take the Maka tinted glasses off its getting very boring now :yawn: I guess the truth hurts for you as you cannot seem to accept the fact Maka is not good enough for Hibs. Get over it mate, a wee agenda:confused: have a word with yourself mate :rolleyes:

Hibs90
15-12-2009, 04:07 PM
A wee agenda, are you taking the p*ss pal? look at the amount of mistakes he has made in the past. Like I said before take the Maka tinted glasses off its getting very boring now :yawn: I guess the truth hurts for you as you cannot seem to accept the fact Maka is not good enough for Hibs. Get over it mate, a wee agenda:confused: have a word with yourself mate :rolleyes:

IN THE PAST. 3 key words there. It was not his fault on Saturday, it was a foul.

Infact he hasn't made a mistake for AGES now so only a sign he is improving. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 04:08 PM

I dont have Maka tinted glasses on, I am being honest and fair..... He was fouled, and had a great game v Motherwell.......

I just do not see the need to have a dig when it was not his fault..........

KiddA
15-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I dont have Maka tinted glasses on, I am being honest and fair..... He was fouled, and had a great game v Motherwell.......

I just do not see the need to have a dig when it was not his fault..........

Yes but that's your opinion and I have mine so it is what it is

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2009, 04:11 PM

I agree, and although i dont rate Maka, i can see he was clearly fouled. These agendas against certain players are terrible. There was one against our captain last season too. The amount of stick he got, it was no surprise he wanted away.:wink: :devil:

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes but that's your opinion and I have mine so it is what it is

And how many times have you seen him to make your opinion given you stay in USA?????

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree, and although i dont rate Maka, i can see he was clearly fouled. These agendas against certain players are terrible. There was one against our captain last season too. The amount of stick he got, it was no surprise he wanted away.:wink: :devil:

Aye but Jones was gash Gary, even you know that:greengrin

KiddA
15-12-2009, 04:17 PM
And how many times have you seen him to make your opinion given you stay in USA?????

There is a thing called the internet that you can watch highlights on and live games that I have a season ticket for. Gie it a break mate.

Hibs90
15-12-2009, 04:19 PM
There is a thing called the internet that you can watch highlights on and live games that I have a season ticket for. Gie it a break mate.

You give the Maka bashing a break :confused:

Baldy Foghorn
15-12-2009, 04:19 PM

So have you seen his every save then? And still don't rate him???:confused:

JimBHibees
15-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Hahahahaha...I've got the answer.All goalies should be fitted with a bargeometer.And over a certain reading it's a foul and under that reading he should have held on to it.:greengrin

IMO he should have still held onto it even though he was barged. Jeez what would he have been like in the 50s when goalies were getting barged into the net. He has good points however isnt as reliable a goalie as Hibs need.

You will be happy though Kello made an excellent penalty save on Saturday.:greengrin

wee 162
15-12-2009, 04:31 PM

How about if he'd punched it out for a corner and they scored from it? What would the people on here have been saying about it? I'd be willing to bet it would be along the lines of "that's another goal he's cost us, why the **** did he punch that, that's a bread and butter ball". And if they didn't score from it there would be "that could have cost us a goal, get him to ****".

Much like when he beat Bullen and kept posession a couple of weeks ago.

matty_f
15-12-2009, 04:44 PM
How about if he'd punched it out for a corner and they scored from it? What would the people on here have been saying about it? I'd be willing to bet it would be along the lines of "that's another goal he's cost us, why the **** did he punch that, that's a bread and butter ball". And if they didn't score from it there would be "that could have cost us a goal, get him to ****".

What if? :dunno:

You're right - folk would be on here moaning about it, that's the nature of the beast. Folk have opinions on incidents in football matches, they have opinions on players, managers, tactics, other sides... we'd be stuck for things to talk about if they never.

As I've said, I like Maka, I think he's a good keeper. Do I think he could have done better at this particular goal? Yes. Do I think he's good enough for Hibs? Absolutely. Do I ever get on his case on here about anything? Nope.

Saying someone could have done something better/differently does not imply that what they did was wrong or a mistake - just maybe not as good as it could have been.

BigKev
15-12-2009, 04:48 PM

If's, buts and maybe's - a recurring theme here.

Fact is the ref never gave a free kick, Maka fumbled the ba' and Killie scored. He needs to be stronger. I couldn't have cared less if he'd headered the thing away so long as it never cost us a goal.

He took a wee tap - it was hardly a knockout blow. If he can't hold onto the ball under pressure it's a fault in his ability regardless of how you want to dress it up.

IMO and many others it would appear he did make a blunder. He done it against St Midden while he was none too clever against Falkirk at the Westfield.

If he cuts out the silly errors (which is what they are) and (as stated before) becomes decisive in his actions then we might have a keeper but at the moment the hert in mouth moments and schoolboy mistakes outweigh the positives.

Allant1981
15-12-2009, 05:20 PM
IN THE PAST. 3 key words there. It was not his fault on Saturday, it was a foul.

Infact he hasn't made a mistake for AGES now so only a sign he is improving. :agree:

Yip it was a foul on sat but he has hardly played this season due to injury then stack playing well so to say he hasnt made a mistake for ages is true but not a true reflection of his game

Hibs Spain
15-12-2009, 07:28 PM
What if? :dunno:

You're right - folk would be on here moaning about it, that's the nature of the beast. Folk have opinions on incidents in football matches, they have opinions on players, managers, tactics, other sides... we'd be stuck for things to talk about if they never.

As I've said, I like Maka, I think he's a good keeper. Do I think he could have done better at this particular goal? Yes. Do I think he's good enough for Hibs? Absolutely. Do I ever get on his case on here about anything? Nope.

Saying someone could have done something better/differently does not imply that what they did was wrong or a mistake - just maybe not as good as it could have been.Re that last paragraph..It might not mean that it was wrong or a mistake but of course it implies it.

millarco
15-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Definite foul IMO, Ford knows exactly what he's doing. As I've said before I think Maka could be more aggressive when he comes out for balls, but I don't think this is an example of that-he's in the air to collect a looping ball and Ford directly jumps into him. Think some people expect Ford to bounce off Maka, and anything less is his fault. It's difficult to come out in a more aggressive manner when he's waiting to collect a ball; if he did he would no doubt be branded clumsy.

I think the reaction over the last couple of weeks shows what he is up against, and he should get out of the club the first chance he gets. Against Falkirk he keeps a clean sheet but dribbles the ball in his own box=12 page thread. Against Kilmarnock he concedes one goal, when the majority can see he has been fouled=18 page thread. I hate to see the reaction if/when he actually makes a mistake which costs us, the thread will no doubt rival the Calendar Signing thread. If I was a keeper I'd hate to play for Hibs, when every move is scrutinised with such detail.

matty_f
15-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Re that last paragraph..It might not mean that it was wrong or a mistake but of course it implies it.

No it doesn't - I spend a huge amount of my work coaching people on how they can do things that are already at an acceptable level better.

Toaods
16-12-2009, 12:17 AM
No it doesn't - I spend a huge amount of my work coaching people on how they can do things that are already at an acceptable level better.

so does Bobby Williamson....:wink:

matty_f
16-12-2009, 07:21 AM
so does Bobby Williamson....:wink:

Big difference is he's *****e at it.:wink:

Toaods
16-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Big difference is he's *****e at it.:wink:

:lips seal

:tee hee:

TornadoHibby
16-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Definite foul IMO, Ford knows exactly what he's doing. As I've said before I think Maka could be more aggressive when he comes out for balls, but I don't think this is an example of that-he's in the air to collect a looping ball and Ford directly jumps into him. Think some people expect Ford to bounce off Maka, and anything less is his fault. It's difficult to come out in a more aggressive manner when he's waiting to collect a ball; if he did he would no doubt be branded clumsy.

I think the reaction over the last couple of weeks shows what he is up against, and he should get out of the club the first chance he gets. Against Falkirk he keeps a clean sheet but dribbles the ball in his own box=12 page thread. Against Kilmarnock he concedes one goal, when the majority can see he has been fouled=18 page thread. I hate to see the reaction if/when he actually makes a mistake which costs us, the thread will no doubt rival the Calendar Signing thread. If I was a keeper I'd hate to play for Hibs, when every move is scrutinised with such detail.

Apart from the fact that he was IMO blameless in the Killie goal incident, that is almost irrelevant now for me as the 18 page "witch hunt" for him, evident from most of the "he should have done better", "he's a big guy, he should have clubbed the guy and caught the ball easily" etc etc negative posters, many of whom STILL don't accept that he was unacceptably fouled and could do little or nothing about that once it had been done to him, is what concerns me and is what I have mostly posted about on this thread! :agree:

Sadly, as my posts are not in the style of those of most others on the thread but latterly, were trying to demonstrate how potentially damaging this could be on an individual, i.e. Maka in this case, as I understand that the players are more than aware of what gets posted on here :wink:, they have been described as "banal" and marginalised as a result! :cool2:

The points I was making, just for those who might be interested and that didn't notice them or chose not to do so, were not about "was be better than Stack or worse", "was he fouled or did he ****** up again" etc but were about "how would you guys feel if people at your work treated you like this?"!:cool2:

They didn't fit the desired "thrust" of the thread so had to be highlighted as worthy of nothing more than being ignored by repetition of the same questions which the posts had already answered had the posts been read with open minds! :cool2:

Anyway, now that this thread seems to be rapidly waning, I see a couple of others have now started (including the "Nicky Weaver" thread and another asking whether people thought Ford barging him on Saturday was a "foul" or "Maka's fault" ffs) where the "usual suspects" have started sticking the boot into the lad again to keep their at best irresponsible and for me, as a Hibs fan of 45+years, absolutely horrible and cringe-worthy "campaign" against him going! :confused:

matty_f
16-12-2009, 09:10 AM

I don't think folk should avoid posting what they think about an incident for fear of hurting a player's feelings, to be honest. I do think folk shouldn't wade in with criticism or defence without knowing the situation, though.

Apart from the fact that he was IMO blameless in the Killie goal incident, that is almost irrelevant now for me as the 18 page "witch hunt" for him, evident from most of the "he should have done better", "he's a big guy, he should have clubbed the guy and caught the ball easily" etc etc negative posters, many of whom STILL don't accept that he was unacceptably fouled and could do little or nothing about that once it had been done to him, is what concerns me and is what I have mostly posted about on this thread! :agree:

Sadly, as my posts are not in the style of those of most others on the thread but latterly, were trying to demonstrate how potentially damaging this could be on an individual, i.e. Maka in this case, as I understand that the players are more than aware of what gets posted on here :wink:, they have been described as "banal" and marginalised as a result! :cool2:

The points I was making, just for those who might be interested and that didn't notice them or chose not to do so, were not about "was be better than Stack or worse", "was he fouled or did he ****** up again" etc but were about "how would you guys feel if people at your work treated you like this?"!:cool2:
They didn't fit the desired "thrust" of the thread so had to be highlighted as worthy of nothing more than being ignored by repetition of the same questions which the posts had already answered had the posts been read with open minds! :cool2:

Anyway, now that this thread seems to be rapidly waning, I see a couple of others have now started (including the "Nicky Weaver" thread and another asking whether people thought Ford barging him on Saturday was a "foul" or "Maka's fault" ffs) where the "usual suspects" have started sticking the boot into the lad again to keep their at best irresponsible and for me, as a Hibs fan of 45+years, absolutely horrible and cringe-worthy "campaign" against him going! :confused:

Who has ignored it? I answered that point. :confused:

If you want to know how I would feel personally about it, I'd be dismissive of the criticism that came without having seen the incident, and I'd be grateful of feedback from those that had seen it and were constructive with criticism or their opinions, and I'd be heartened by the defence of people who had seen it and defended me.

I don't think there's a witch hunt against Maka, my take on the thread is that barring two or three posters, most people want Maka to do well and actually rate the guy.

The_Sauz
16-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Just like to add.....were are all the 18 page post when Deeks missed 2 penaltys on the bounce or when Stokes misses an open goal or a one on one with keeper!
Some people on here really need to get a grip with themselves and stop the hate campaigns on certain players that play for our club.
Yes people have opinion, but this is going too far.....we are supporters and we are suppose to support the club & players through thick & thin, not slate them at any given time just because they make a mistake.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Just like to add.....were are all the 18 page post when Deeks missed 2 penaltys on the bounce or when Stokes misses an open goal or a one on one with keeper!
Some people on here really need to get a grip with themselves and stop the hate campaigns on certain players that play for our club.
Yes people have opinion, but this is going too far.....we are supporters and we are suppose to support the club & players through thick & thin, not slate them at any given time just because they make a mistake.

It's not 18 pages of folk slamming Maka, though - a large number of the posts are defending him. There's no hate campaign against Maka, IMHO, but people clearly have strong views on the subject and that's why it's been discussed at length.

Having gone back over the thread, it seems to be that there are far more people backing Maka than slating him, and there's a good few posts that are off at a tangent to the original point.

Captain Trips
16-12-2009, 09:36 AM
It's not 18 pages of folk slamming Maka, though - a large number of the posts are defending him. There's no hate campaign against Maka, IMHO, but people clearly have strong views on the subject and that's why it's been discussed at length.

Having gone back over the thread, it seems to be that there are far more people backing Maka than slating him, and there's a good few posts that are off at a tangent to the original point.

I was going to say along the same lines, when Maka has made what appears to be a clear error then yeah he gets it on here but its less pages, the fact we are on what 18pages shows how much in doubt an error it was.

TornadoHibby
16-12-2009, 09:55 AM

And what was the original point of the thread I wonder? :cool2: :confused:

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2009, 09:59 AM

The pro's and cons of Maka as a keeper.:greengrin

ArabHibee
16-12-2009, 10:21 AM

If I was on the same amount of money that Maka is on each week, I wouldn't give a rooty toot what was being said on a fans forum about me.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 10:25 AM
There we go again. For every great few games he has, this clown makes a stupid mistake.

:grr::grr::grr:

Maka making a mistake, in the opinion of the opening poster. :cool2:

Removed
16-12-2009, 10:28 AM
If I was on the same amount of money that Maka is on each week, I wouldn't give a rooty toot what was being said on a fans forum about me.

:faf: We all know you don't give a rooty toot. If it wasn't for the admins closing threads we could easily have an 18 pager on you as well :dizzy:

TornadoHibby
16-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Maka making a mistake, in the opinion of the opening poster. :cool2:

I think the use of the term "this clown" suggests a wider agenda for the OP and the next few IIRC! :confused:

Do you think then that the thrust of the thread simply stuck to rational discussion of the "alleged error" (subsequently proved not to be an error from Maka at all), highlighted by someone openly admitting he was not at the game but listening to it on BBC radio, and, if so, how do you explain the "Maka GTF" or "trust me, Maka won't be here in January as Yogi disnae rate him" etc type comments which are sprinkled liberaly throughout the 18 pages of the thread? :confused: :cool2:

ArabHibee
16-12-2009, 10:31 AM
:faf: We all know you don't give a rooty toot. If it wasn't for the admins closing threads we could easily have an 18 pager on you as well :dizzy:

At least I'm not at my work getting paid to post on hibs.net, am I now?

Sorry for the :hijack:

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 10:38 AM
No it doesn't - I spend a huge amount of my work coaching people on how they can do things that are already at an acceptable level better.The implication by definition is still there.

millarco
16-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I was going to say along the same lines, when Maka has made what appears to be a clear error then yeah he gets it on here but its less pages, the fact we are on what 18pages shows how much in doubt an error it was.

The two performances cost us 1 goal, which most people can accept was a foul. Surely nobody could argue that that merits 30 pages of debate? We wouldn't have to defend him if there weren't so many rediculous (IMO) posts slagging him for next to nothing.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 11:14 AM
The implication by definition is still there.

Of course it's not - I can coach someone who's performing at 100% against their targets and take them to 150% with coaching. They've not made any mistakes but they're capable of doing what they do better.

J-C
16-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Of course it's not - I can coach someone who's performing at 100% against their targets and take them to 150% with coaching. They've not made any mistakes but they're capable of doing what they do better.

Erm! you can't get better than 100% :confused:

Surely you want to be coaching someone 75% and bring up tp 100%.:wink:

We've all seen what good coaches can do for average players, once a player reaches his true potential then it's just a matter of keeping him fit and keeping his mind solely on playing.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Erm! you can't get better than 100% :confused:

Surely you want to be coaching someone 75% and bring up tp 100%.:wink:

We've all seen what good coaches can do for average players, once a player reaches his true potential then it's just a matter of keeping him fit and keeping his mind solely on playing.

How can you not get better than 100%?

Example - Target is 5 sales per day, I sell 10 - 200% of target.

Players can always better their game - if that wasn't the case then folk like Tiger Woods or Nadal wouldn't bother getting coaching on their games.

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Of course it's not - I can coach someone who's performing at 100% against their targets and take them to 150% with coaching. They've not made any mistakes but they're capable of doing what they do better.You can only take someone to 100%.All I'm saying is even if they're not making mistakes,and they become even better at what they do,there is,in my opinion grounds for an argument to say that you could imply that they were making mistakes in relative terms previously. No big deal ...

matty_f
16-12-2009, 12:06 PM
You can only take someone to 100%.All I'm saying is even if they're not making mistakes,and they become even better at what they do,there is,in my opinion grounds for an argument to say that you could imply that they were making mistakes in relative terms previously. No big deal ...

See above.

As for coaching someone that hasn't made a mistake - a player goalkeeper could save a shot, say he parries it and the defence clears it. No goal's been conceded and the keeper has done his job in keeping the ball out of the goal. No mistake has been made. With coaching, you can get that keeper to catch the ball if the same or similar situation occurred. You coach him to do something better without a mistake being made.

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 12:16 PM
See above.

As for coaching someone that hasn't made a mistake - a player goalkeeper could save a shot, say he parries it and the defence clears it. No goal's been conceded and the keeper has done his job in keeping the ball out of the goal. No mistake has been made. With coaching, you can get that keeper to catch the ball if the same or similar situation occurred. You coach him to do something better without a mistake being made.I'm not disputing these points.I think you're struggling a bit with the subtlety of "inference" because in relative terms you could debate that the earlier performance was a mistake of sorts..

matty_f
16-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not disputing these points.I think you're struggling a bit with the subtlety of "inference" because in relative terms you could debate that the earlier performance was a mistake of sorts..

I know about the subtlety of inference, but I know about coaching. Perhaps it wasn't the best example, maybe I could have used a player that scores a penalty that could have been saved if the keeper hadn't moved, for example. You can get a player to hit a penalty where they have the biggest chance of scoring. He's scored the penalty, might have given the keeper 'the eyes' to influence where he's moved - no mistakes so far, and the end result is a goal, but you can show him how to do it better.

It works for loads of things - I could make a post (honest) without any typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in it, get my point across well enough (honest, again!) and so technically have a post with no mistakes in it. So, you could easily make a case for it being '100%'

However, I could be shown how to improve the post.

Edit:

Some definitions of coaching (spot that neither of them mention 'mistakes')

Personal/Performance/Life Coaching
"Collaborative solution-focused, results-orientated and systematic process, during which the coach facilitates he enhancement of work performance, life experience, self-directed learning and personal growth of the coachee." (Anthony Grant, university of Sydney, 2000)

Speciality/Niche Coaching
"As for personal coaching, but the coach is expert in addressing one particular aspect of a person's life e.g. stress, career, or the coach is focused on enhancing a particular section of the population e.g. doctors, youths."
(Anthony Grant, as above.)

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I know about the subtlety of inference, but I know about coaching. Perhaps it wasn't the best example, maybe I could have used a player that scores a penalty that could have been saved if the keeper hadn't moved, for example. You can get a player to hit a penalty where they have the biggest chance of scoring. He's scored the penalty, might have given the keeper 'the eyes' to influence where he's moved - no mistakes so far, and the end result is a goal, but you can show him how to do it better.

It works for loads of things - I could make a post (honest) without any typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in it, get my point across well enough (honest, again!) and so technically have a post with no mistakes in it. So, you could easily make a case for it being '100%'

However, I could be shown how to improve the post.You couldn't raise the %age. You could debate that the new post is better but that would only be an opinion.And in that case the first post would have to drop a % or two. If something performs at its maximum that would be 100%.It cannot increase on that because there is nothing more to put in.The thing could improve and perform at a higher or better level but it would then have a new maximum or 100% It would still be 100%.. It would just be 100% at a different level. It's amazing how people struggle with the 100% thing.It's like there is no such thing as 100% profit in business for example. But only a minute %age of people understand that.

ArabHibee
16-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Players can always better their game - if that wasn't the case then folk like Tiger Woods or Nadal wouldn't bother getting coaching on their games.

Suppose it depends what 'games' Tiger Woods is getting coached in - seems to have had plenty in both recently. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
16-12-2009, 12:45 PM
You couldn't raise the %age. You could debate that the new post is better but that would only be an opinion.And in that case the first post would have to drop a % or two. If something performs at its maximum that would be 100%.It cannot increase on that because there is nothing more to put in.The thing could improve and perform at a higher or better level but it would then have a new maximum or 100% It would still be 100%.. It would just be 100% at a different level. It's amazing how people struggle with the 100% thing.It's like there is no such thing as 100% profit in business for example. But only a minute %age of people understand that.

I get what you mean about this - obviously footballers and managers going on about 110% etc muddies the water a bit but at the end of the day 100% is the maximum.

Unless you work in sales and sell more than 100% of your target.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 12:51 PM
You couldn't raise the %age. You could debate that the new post is better but that would only be an opinion.And in that case the first post would have to drop a % or two. If something performs at its maximum that would be 100%.It cannot increase on that because there is nothing more to put in.The thing could improve and perform at a higher or better level but it would then have a new maximum or 100% It would still be 100%.. It would just be 100% at a different level. It's amazing how people struggle with the 100% thing.It's like there is no such thing as 100% profit in business for example. But only a minute %age of people understand that.

You'll note that I used parenthesis on the 100% to (try to) illustrate that I was putting it in the context of using it to illustrate the point that no mistake had been made.

i am fully aware of what 100% means, thanks all the same.

I get what you mean about this - obviously footballers and managers going on about 110% etc muddies the water a bit but at the end of the day 100% is the maximum.

Which was the example I used to show how you could be more than 100% of target.:wink:

You could even use the example of a traffic warden, who is targeted at 15 tickets in a day. He dishes out 30, so he's 200% to target (15 being 100%).

Some people really struggle with the concept of being able to get over 100% of something.:agree:

Steve20
16-12-2009, 12:54 PM

I think there is a hate campaign against Maka

I can't honestly understand how anyone can say he made a mistake on Saturday and was not fouled. It is clear as day that he was. Maka is a good young keeper, who some Hibs fans seem determined to keep putting down.

I am no longer going to discuss this at all, as I am getting a bit P****d off with it.

matty_f

It can apply to football - Yogi could give Stokes a target of 10 goals this season, any more than those 10 goals and he's over 100% of target.:greengrin (Note, Christian Nade can not be used for this example).

Hibs Spain

Unless you work in sales and sell more than 100% of your target.No,it's the same.If you reach your target you've achieved 100% of your target. Any more than that is not your target it is something else. Usually called sales over target.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I think there is a hate campaign against Maka

I can't honestly understand how anyone can say he made a mistake on Saturday and was not fouled. It is clear as day that he was. Maka is a good young keeper, who some Hibs fans seem determined to keep putting down.

I am no longer going to discuss this at all, as I am getting a bit P****d off with it.

Agree with the bit in bold - we're way off topic now and all that's happening is the thread keeps getting moved to the top. Unless there's anything of value still to be said on the matter, I'm bowing out now too.

ArabHibee
16-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Agree with the bit in bold - we're way off topic now and all that's happening is the thread keeps getting moved to the top. Unless there's anything of value still to be said on the matter, I'm bowing out now too.
Are you 100% sure about that? :greengrin

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 01:07 PM
You'll note that I used parenthesis on the 100% to (try to) illustrate that I was putting it in the context of using it to illustrate the point that no mistake had been made.

i am fully aware of what 100% means, thanks all the same.

Which was the example I used to show how you could be more than 100% of target.:wink:

You could even use the example of a traffic warden, who is targeted at 15 tickets in a day. He dishes out 30, so he's 200% to target (15 being 100%).

Some people really struggle with the concept of being able to get over 100% of something.:agree:Anything over the target is not equated in terms of %age in these examples you are using.You could say he doubled his target but you can't correlate the 30 tickets in %age terms to the initial target.

lEXO
16-12-2009, 01:07 PM

TornadoHibby
16-12-2009, 01:14 PM
It can apply to football - Yogi could give Stokes a target of 10 goals this season, any more than those 10 goals and he's over 100% of target.:greengrin (Note, Christian Nade can not be used for this example).

Aye but a human's physical performance can NEVER be more than 100% as that is the maximum that anyone can ever achieve in that regard. :wink:

The performance level can increase with fitness and training but as far as the individual is it is always 100% of his potential as a maximum. :agree:

I'm out of here too and hope the lad gets a rest from this keyboard harrassment! :agree:

lapsedhibee
16-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Anything over the target is not equated in terms of %age in these examples you are using.You could say he doubled his target but you can't correlate the 30 tickets in %age terms to the initial target.

Double 100% is 200%.

It's not rocket surgery.

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Double 100% is 200%.

It's not rocket surgery.Maybe it's rocket science ..:greengrin

HFC 0-7
16-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Although I dont agree with blatant player bashing I have no problem with people viewing their opinions as to a players abilities and I think people on here forget that. Also people moan about the lengths of threads on here, if the thread is a long one it is obviously something the majority feel strongly towards resulting in probably a very interesting thread, otherwise it wouldnt be this long. Regarding the highlighted point above, yes players are most certainly aware of what is posted on message boards, and I know that a few of the players have printed extracts out and pinned them for comedy value. I also know that pretty much all of the players that I know dont care a jot what some of us think of them or their abilities as they know that many of us dont really know what were are talkingt about, and dont appreciate how hard it is for a player out there. So, I dont think players care about whats put on message boards about them, perhaps what the media puts out, but not whats written on here. If a player did care, they would probably use it to their advantage.

One other thing I would add is that it does show how much we are up for this season, as fans want perfection now, others know we are onto a good thing and dont want a bad word said about their team, and this is why there are so many heated debates at the moment, someone wanting perfection, others appreciate how far weve come and dont want a bad word against it!

lEXO
16-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Although I dont agree with blatant player bashing I have no problem with people viewing their opinions as to a players abilities and I think people on here forget that. Also people moan about the lengths of threads on here, if the thread is a long one it is obviously something the majority feel strongly towards resulting in probably a very interesting thread, otherwise it wouldnt be this long. Regarding the highlighted point above, yes players are most certainly aware of what is posted on message boards, and I know that a few of the players have printed extracts out and pinned them for comedy value. I also know that pretty much all of the players that I know dont care a jot what some of us think of them or their abilities as they know that many of us dont really know what were are talkingt about, and dont appreciate how hard it is for a player out there. So, I dont think players care about whats put on message boards about them, perhaps what the media puts out, but not whats written on here. If a player did care, they would probably use it to their advantage.

One other thing I would add is that it does show how much we are up for this season, as fans want perfection now, others know we are onto a good thing and dont want a bad word said about their team, and this is why there are so many heated debates at the moment, someone wanting perfection, others appreciate how far weve come and dont want a bad word against it!
It is the predictable player bashing i dont like.Some posters dont want to hear other points of view, and feel the need to bash other players to back up their point.You talk about us wanting perfection,and we probably do.But the realists amongst us know that in football that is not going to happen.With the market we are in for players all we can hope for is to get the best we can from the players we have.I think our manager is striving for that,and we are working hard as a TEAM to get the results that have kept us unbeaten.Our squad is as good as it has been for a long time, and team spirit seems to be great.This wil be a huge factor in how our season pans out, because ability alone is not enough sometimes.We have seen Hogg,Nish,Rankin and others being slagged for not being good enough,but they have came in and kept our great run going.Love or hate Maka,some of the bickering on here about him or Stack has been petty at best,and i think that has contributed to the length of this thread.

cheltenhamhibee
16-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Agreed, not ****ing good enough to wear the jersey.
not saying that he is the best, far from it but you also have to give him credit for the excellent saves he did make, or we could've lost on saturday, i now expect to be shot down in pieces for saying that:thumbsup:

TornadoHibby
16-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Have a read at this (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/McBride-set-to-miss-out.5915910.jp) and, in particular, the last four paragraphs! :wink:

Doubt if any of the negative posters will have the good grace to apologise on here after some of the guff they dreamt up then posted on here since before the match finished on Saturday! :cool2:

Some more lazy "journo" work too as "meat and drink" for those who base their posts on the media rather than going to the matches themselves! :agree:

Sumner
16-12-2009, 06:10 PM
He was CLEARLY fouled - lazy lame journalists & radio berks spewed the same
bone-idle lines, when any clown could see Makalamby was fouled. Hack slime.

Hibs Spain
16-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Players can always better their game - if that wasn't the case then folk like Tiger Woods or Nadal wouldn't bother getting coaching on their games.If you as a football manager were asked to sell a player that cost you 1,000,000 and you were asked to sell him for 100% profit and you sold the player for 2,000,000 don't you think you would have achieved your target?

hibeemark
16-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Have a read at this (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/McBride-set-to-miss-out.5915910.jp) and, in particular, the last four paragraphs! :wink:

Doubt if any of the negative posters will have the good grace to apologise on here after some of the guff they dreamt up then posted on here since before the match finished on Saturday! :cool2:

Some more lazy "journo" work too as "meat and drink" for those who base their posts on the media rather than going to the matches themselves! :agree:

Everyone is entitled their own opinion through, right? We don't all take the manager's word as gospel. As much as I respect Yogi, he's hardly going to come out in the press and slate the man he is relying on until Stack is fit. "Don't believe the hype." :wink:

As far as the challenge goes, I'm going to sit on the fence and say that although it would have been a very soft foul to give, I don't think Makalambay is entirely to blame either. :hmmm:

Watch the replay: the player goes past Makalambay (how much he nudges him is difficult to tell) but it's not until Maka makes contact with Hogg behind him that he loses his balance, and subsequently drops the ball. All this happens within the space of a few seconds.

A lot of these "incidents" that feature Makalambay don't result in us losing goals. A lot of them aren't entirely his fault. But they do happen more often on his watch, than to less flamboyant characters like Stack, so surely he must take some responsibility? :dunno:

I can understand too where folk are coming from when they say that they feel criticisms of Makalambay are unsubstantiated. It's true that journalists (and fans) often tend to rely on perceived truisms rather than empirical fact, when discussing football. That's all part of the game, though.

I distinctly remember a pundit remarking on Maka's signing (and well before he'd even donned Hibs gloves) that "he better not make any mistakes, or they'll soon be christening him 'Makalamity' hahaha". Similarly, I remember when we signed Bamba, bitter Dunfermline fans claiming "he's rubbish, total bombscare". Hence, whenever one of these two has made an error since, folk are quick to wade in with "Makalamity" or "Bombscare Bamba" as if the origins of those nicknames were remotely based in fact. :blah:

HOWEVER, and it's a big "however", I also think there's a major difference between Makalambay and Bamba, in that Bamba has never really given any of us reason to majorly criticise (when played in position), whereas Makalambay has certainly been at least involved in plenty of controversial moments.

If the opposition are firing shots at the top corner from the edge of the box, I have full confidence in him - noone could argue he's one hell of a shot stopper, spectacularly tipping balls round the post etc. But nonetheless, he does frequently provide fuel for speculation.

Of course we support our keeper. We were the ones jubilantly singing his name from his very first appearance (and no wonder, he was a breath of fresh air ofter the woeful Zibi), and that's something he's always been publicly grateful for. But if he isn't measuring up to expectation, then he should take that on the chin too. :aok:

KiddA
27-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by KiddA View Post

It never took long did it :yawn: are you still backing him now :rolleyes:

J-C
27-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by KiddA View Post

It never took long did it :yawn: are you still backing him now :rolleyes:

There's a difference in backing him and realising a foul took place. Yes he made an error today but the rest of the team were garbage and were to blame for most things on the park, they deserved to get beat as a team, not because of any goalkeeping errors.

You can now get of yer high horse and come back to reality.

GloryGlory
27-12-2009, 02:08 PM
There's a difference in backing him and realising a foul took place. Yes he made an error today but the rest of the team were garbage and were to blame for most things on the park, they deserved to get beat as a team, not because of any goalkeeping errors.

:agree: Our two young full backs especially were taken to the cleaners time and again, the midfield was non-existent and left the whole defence terribly exposed.

KiddA
27-12-2009, 02:12 PM

The truth hurts for guys like you that seem to back Maka all the time :yawn: I will stay on my high horse because I am right. I never mentioned anything about the other players, yes it was a bad performance as a team but it was another error from our goalkeeper yet again and that was my point plain and simple.

MSK
27-12-2009, 02:17 PM
The truth hurts for guys like you that seem to back Maka all the time :yawn: I will stay on my high horse because I am right. I never mentioned anything about the other players, yes it was a bad performance as a team but it was another error from our goalkeeper yet again and that was my point plain and simple.Could you not have made your point on the current "Maka bashing" thread instead of dredging up this one for a bit o petty point scoring !!!

Ok point to you ..well done ..:blah:

KiddA
27-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Could you not have made your point on the current "Maka bashing" thread instead of dredging up this one for a bit o petty point scoring !!!

Ok point to you ..well done ..:blah:

Littlest Hobo
27-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Maybe it's rocket science ..:greengrin

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top so that folk like "HIBS SPAIN" can see that this is becoming a weekly occurance. Oh by the way, are you actually in Spain? lol :wink:

H18sry
27-12-2009, 03:33 PM
At 2-1 down we are still in the game, but yet another schoolboy error from Makalamity, and its curtains for us, I am not saying we would have won the game but that error cost us any chance we had of salvaging even a point.

Just not consistent enough to be considered a first choice goalkeeper for Hibs.

Judas Iscariot
27-12-2009, 03:55 PM
At 2-1 down we are still in the game, but yet another schoolboy error from Makalamity, and its curtains for us, I am not saying we would have won the game but that error cost us any chance we had of salvaging even a point.

Just not consistent enough to be considered a first choice goalkeeper for Hibs.

Yogi, please get rid of him and stop subjecting us to the continual mistakes and moments of complete incompetance..