PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

CorrieHibs
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
The Huns on the BBC forum going mental about him this was one of the quotes-

At what point is Walter Smith going to realise that Steven Whittaker is not actually a footballer?

I have watched 50 minutes of this champions league game so far and not once has the guy prooved that he should be within 50 miles of a football!!!!!!!

Wake up Walter and smell the coffee (or fans distaste for your team selections). Steven Whittaker is NOT a football player that should ever be playing for this team!!!!:faf:

Thanks for the £2million. When he played for us he was rated as the best RB in scotland what have they done to him? or is it playing against high class european opposistion he is just out of his depth?

J-C
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Thing is the Huns have a habit of taking the best young talented players from other teams and somehow transforming them into complete huddies within a season.

jacomo
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I've no idea what's happened to Whittaker, but to say he's "not a footballer" is ludicrous.

It's just the Old Firm ruining another young Scottish player, is it not? Must be some weird anti-coaching they do over there.

If Steven fancies "doing a Murray" and returning to the club that gave him his opportunity, I'd welcome him back... oh wait, we've already got a brilliant replacement in Wotherspoon. Bugger.

Green Mikey
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM

At what point is Walter Smith going to realise that Steven Whittaker is not actually a footballer?

I have watched 50 minutes of this champions league game so far and not once has the guy prooved that he should be within 50 miles of a football!!!!!!!

Wake up Walter and smell the coffee (or fans distaste for your team selections). Steven Whittaker is NOT a football player that should ever be playing for this team!!!!:faf:

Thanks for the £2million. When he played for us he was rated as the best RB in scotland what have they done to him? or is it playing against high class european opposistion he is just out of his depth?

I think SW is a good player definately worth £2m. How can you say he is not a football player...what doesn't qualify him to be a football player?

The Champs League is the toughest club competition in the world and all the Rangers players have struggled this year not just SW.

IMO if SW was still a Hibs player he would be in our team ahead of Wotherspoon.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Great going forward, but with little end product, and an average defender at best.

I can see why he is being found out a bit, particulalry in Europe.

Any time we played against decent wide players he used to get badly beaten most times.

CorrieHibs
11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeh they must do something to do them maybe its the water in the west. Deek,Brown,whittaker and Thommo all have suffered moving there. Steven Fletcher has got better he's looking like a real class act at Burnley.

Danderhall Hibs
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I think we should bid for him in January. Start the bidding at £100k - that's the way it's done isn't it?

Green Mikey
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeh they must do something to do them maybe its the water in the west. Deek,Brown,whittaker and Thommo all have suffered moving there. Steven Fletcher has got better he's looking like a real class act at Burnley.

With the exception of Deek, the other players you have mentioned play regularly for teams that consistently finish above us and we rarely beat. The may not have progressed to the superstar level some fans thought they would but they are playing for bigger clubs.

Going by the logic on this thread all players that go to the OF get worse...how are they still above us then?

zlatan
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I think we should bid for him in January. Start the bidding at £100k - that's the way it's done isn't it?

100k spread over 3 years :agree:

CorrieHibs
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
With the exception of Deek, the other players you have mentioned play regularly for teams that consistently finish above us and we rarely beat. The may not have progressed to the superstar level some fans thought they would but they are playing for bigger clubs.

Going by the logic on this thread all players that go to the OF get worse...how are they still above us then?

Yeh they are all playing and they are all good players but they haven't improved as first thought. But we made a nice £8million out of them. :thumbsup:

Monktonhall 7
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Must say that when I do watch Der Hun, and its not often, I tend to focus on Whittaker & Thomson. Recently, especially in Champions League, I'm glad the cash is in the bank!

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Isn't Whittaker keeping that boy Clubfoot out of the Rangers team just now?

the_ginger_hibee
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM

50k add-on when he gets 20 caps....for Papa New Guinea

CorrieHibs
11-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Clubfoot is injured.

Woody1985
11-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I thought Broadfoot was out injured? Sure I seen him on the back of a paper the other day saying he was ready to come back / played a reserve game. Something along those lines.

Whittaker can't defend for **** IMO. His style of play means he's caught out a lot. He's a much poorer Hutton.

GreenCastle
11-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I thought Broadfoot was out injured? Sure I seen him on the back of a paper the other day saying he was ready to come back / played a reserve game. Something along those lines.

Whittaker can't defend for **** IMO. His style of play means he's caught out a lot. He's a much poorer Hutton.

How they got £9 million or whatever it was for Hutton is day light robbery.

Similar to the Yams getting £9 million for Gordon going to Sunderland.

Big fish in a small pond but no where near the money Sunderland and Spurs played for both sick notes.

Speedway
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
How we miss Lillian Martin.

Jim44
11-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think Whittaker is as poor as they are making out. He's never been renowned for his defensive qualities and the Huns knew that when they bought him. I think he is this month's whipping boy. By February, next week even, he'll likely be their hero. Rantic fans are the most fickle around. Katie's getting the same treatment just now as well. Six months ago he was their saviour and being put on a pedestal for the captaincy. At the moment, they want shot of him. Mind you, I'm not losing sleep over their unpoularity. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd take him back in a shot, come on Yogi make it happen.:greengrin

greenlex
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Clubfoot is injured.
Has he been poachin eggs again?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Has he been poachin eggs again?:greengrin

Naw thats an old injury, this one happened when he was dookin for chips.:wink:

Mibbes Aye
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
If nothing else Whittaker is a footballer in that he seems to have a passion for playing the game in the kind of way most of us love to see.

He never completely convinced as an RB at ER. When he was with us, there were always suggestions on here about pushing him into RM and counter-arguments as to why not. Never entirely convinced with his defending ability (although part of me always wondered whether he could have been converted into some sort of magnificent, roaming libero-style centre half, with the right tuition :greengrin)

Would probably suit the way Hughes likes to play more than how he has been played up to now, or maybe would suit the old wing-back role. Most teams don't do wing-backs or liberos these days though.

Rossco1875
11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
defending was never his strong point but a would have him back at easter road, since their in a wee bit of debt i think a 200k offer wouldnt go a miss:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-12-2009, 05:50 PM
They wanted him so they are stuck wi him, did fine wi us and plays against the same teams so they should think twice about buying up Scottish talent then moaning about it...fannies

Hibercelona
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Whittaker...

A poor mans Wotherspoon. :agree:

lyonhibs
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
As if Rangers fans these days would know what an actual ball playing footballer was :rolleyes:

He has - admittedly - been grim in every European game I've seen him in. At European level, his athletic abilities aren't enough to compensate for his frequent posiyional ***** ups, where in the SPL, they mostly are.

£2 million in, Wotherspoon at RB.

Thak you VERY much Rangers Football Club :faf: :faf:

mim
11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
There is only one player at Hunbrox who has played every game for them this season.

His name is Steven Whittaker.

I don't think he'll be going anywhere as long as Watty is the manager.

MGmick
11-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Thak you VERY much Rangers Football Club :faf: :faf:

A little bit too polite IMO. How about Few Cough Andy RFC?

As for Whits, he was decent (ish) going forward but, like many others, I never rated him as a defender. He seemed to be terrified by pace. The first time I ever saw him was at Pittodrie and Ricky Foster ripped him to pieces and although he's quick Foster certainly aint no world beater.

blackhibee
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
If nothing else Whittaker is a footballer in that he seems to have a passion for playing the game in the kind of way most of us love to see.

He never completely convinced as an RB at ER. When he was with us, there were always suggestions on here about pushing him into RM and counter-arguments as to why not. Never entirely convinced with his defending ability (although part of me always wondered whether he could have been converted into some sort of magnificent, roaming libero-style centre half, with the right tuition :greengrin)

Would probably suit the way Hughes likes to play more than how he has been played up to now, or maybe would suit the old wing-back role. Most teams don't do wing-backs or liberos these days though.

Yep, totally agree, good player going forward but often caught out of position for defensive duties. I didn't really trust him as a right back, I thought that even though Malkowski and Brown were pretty crap anyway they sometimes had to take the crap for some of his positional errors. Midfield, in my opinion, is where he would have been strongest, because he was a good passer of the ball and had good ball control as well. Low scoring record at Hibs would have been a slight concern, but only a slight one, even though the other full back Murphy was a much more prolific scorer, and if the truth be told, a better player. I think Wotherspoon has already proved that he provides more of a threat than Whittaker when it comes to creating scoring chances, but that doesn't mean I don't think Whittaker's a good player.

KWJ
12-12-2009, 05:47 AM
I recall him scoring a great goal away to Porto or Lyon last season. Think that's when they were playing him at RM.

IWasThere2016
12-12-2009, 06:13 AM

In annual tranches of £2k, £3k and £95k. :greengrin They might implode by year 3 :pray:

I would imagine he'll end up in the Championship - earning more than he does at Hunville.

basehibby
12-12-2009, 09:42 AM

:faf::faf::faf:

Stupid Hun ****** obviously wouldn't know a footballer if he booted him in his ugly biggoted pus! :asshole:

bigwheel
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Great going forward, but with little end product, and an average defender at best.

Any time we played against decent wide players he used to get badly beaten most times.

I don't agree with this one...he's scored a few important goals for them, and he hits a great ball into the box....He will have a number of assists already this season...

Hakim Sar
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM

I like this description... summarises pretty well my opinion too. craig Paterson said of whitty vs Aberdeen fortnight ago that he was struggling and 'the obvious weak link. he probably plays better with thomson on the team and/or novo/beasley being prepared to come wide and take the ball on.

hibsbollah
12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Dropped for Broadfoot today...Come on Yogi, get a derisory offer in:greengrin

rightwinger
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Whittaker had a really good season for us in Mowbray's first year.

He got injured early the following season and came back much more erratic. He developed a horrible knack of driving to the edge of the box and cutting inside every time rather than heading for the byline.

Because he drives forward in a reasonably dynamic way some fans seem to think he's the bees knees. His end product (goals or assists) does not stack up and his defending displays no nous or positional sense whatsoever. Go back and watch the CIS DVD - semi against St J - their goal - that's Whittaker to a t.

In fairness, we should remember that he was raised as a midfielder and was only shunted out to fullback because Williamson had no-one else to put there.

Although I think Ian Murray is a great player for us, I'd take David Murphy (injured or not) back in a shot. He was a real full-back, lacking only pace. Twice the player Whittaker is.

Would I take Whittaker back. For nothing, yes. But I think Wotherspoon is already at his level. He's not the finished article, but he shows a greater aptitude and intelligence with more variety to his game.

The biggest fallacy of Hibs in the last few years is that Brown, Thomson and Whittaker made us a great team and we'd have taken on the world if they were still with us. They've joined the OF for big money and the OF have gone backwards. What do the OF expect when the sign an abundance of players from a lower placed club? When Duffy put his old Dundee team in Hibs tops we swapped places with them in Div 1. At Hibs, Whittaker et al only needed to turn in one half-decent game every month to be raved about. If we lost games it was Stephen Glass's fault. The scrutiny at the OF is massive and there's no hiding place.

From where I was sitting throughout the Mowbray/Collins eras, several players of more ambiguous and less hyped reputations (Beuzelin, Glass, Sproule, Stewart, Jones) contributed just as much to the limited success that we achieved. Helped by playing in a more advanced role, only Riordan (maybe GOC) can point to his stats (goals) and say 'you can't argue with that'. Whittaker like Thomson like Brown tended to live off what hype people wrote on here and in the west-coast tabloids rather than anything more tangible.

If we'd had Wotherspoon for Whittaker, Bamba for Caldwell, Stack for Brown, Miller for Scott Brown, Stokes for Fletcher, McBride for Thomson, imagine what we could have achieved back then. I'm deadly serious.