PDA

View Full Version : Media Dean Ashton retires

IWasThere2016
11-12-2009, 10:18 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8407584.stm

Great player IMHO. He must be heart-broken!

jodjam
11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
aye very good striker. SSN showing the overhead goal he got at old trafford. some strike

SidBurns
11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
A real shame, always came across as a sound, down to earth bloke and was a quality player.

Ending on a good note, means E**land (Rooney aside) are left with Defoe, Crouch, Carlton Cole, Agbonlahor (sp?) etc as their forwards! :greengrin

LancashireHibby
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Huge shame, was a terrific prospect when he first appeared at Crewe but I don't think he ever truly fulfilled his potential. Sure the lad will be heartbroken.

Green Mikey
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
A real shame, always came across as a sound, down to earth bloke and was a quality player.

Ending on a good note, means E**land (Rooney aside) are left with Defoe, Crouch, Carlton Cole, Agbonlahor (sp?) etc as their forwards! :greengrin

I would have every one of those strikers in a Scotland team.

Terrible news Ashton was a quality player, only 26 as well.

EskbankHibby
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Real shame but as Dario Grady said at least he has made a few bucks from the game.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 11:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8407584.stm

Great player IMHO. He must be heart-broken!

A shame but then again he doesn't have to work another day in his life if he chooses.

Danny_Hibee
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Shame for him and a massive loss for West Ham, he's been sorely missed while he's been out altho at times i forgot he was even still around he'd been missing for that long. I bet Shaun Wright Phillips is feeling rather bad this morning as well.

Anyway good luck to him whatever he goes on to do now that his career is over

Thecat23
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I have followed West Ham along with Hibs, Hibs always being No.1 of course ;) for about 12 years now. I'm really gutted for the lad, he never really showed what he could do with all his injuries has has suffered.

All the best to him he, will be missed.

IWasThere2016
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
A shame but then again he doesn't have to work another day in his life if he chooses.

True - but one assumes he will miss playing .. and it might impact on other aspects of his life :dunno:

Dunbar Hibee
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
As a West Ham fan pretty gutted.. though probably the best thing for him. Still a shame as he's a great player just injury ridden:boo hoo:

Andy74
11-12-2009, 01:04 PM
True - but one assumes he will miss playing .. and it might impact on other aspects of his life :dunno:

Yes it's shame, absolutely, but he's been very lucky, and I'm sure worked very hard, to do something others dream off and got very, very well paid for it.

I'm just thinking of other threads in other parts of the board and the public in gneral right now where other highly paid people are getting no sympathy and outright hostility and all they've been doing is a good job as well. West Ham ain't really that profitable are they?

It's our hard earned they are getting well paid with but it seems to be accepted a bit more and there's more sympathy if they get injured or lose their job.

I do feel for the guy on a personal level not being able to do something he loved but he now joins the ranks of the rest of us who do something each day because they have to! He has more options than most of us to avoid that though. :greengrin

No big deal just interesting to see a different perspective when a stinking rich person gets some sympathy during a recession when ticket prices are so high!

JimBHibees
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Shame for him and a massive loss for West Ham, he's been sorely missed while he's been out altho at times i forgot he was even still around he'd been missing for that long. I bet Shaun Wright Phillips is feeling rather bad this morning as well.
Anyway good luck to him whatever he goes on to do now that his career is over

Was it a deliberate attempt to injure him though. I havent seen the challenge however heard some mention of Ashton possibly suing Wright Phillips surely that would only be appropriate if SWP was reckless or had some deliberate intent.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Was it a deliberate attempt to injure him though. I havent seen the challenge however heard some mention of Ashton possibly suing Wright Phillips surely that would only be appropriate if SWP was reckless or had some deliberate intent.

Don't think I've ever seen it, never been in favour of this suing stuff from something happens in a football match unless it is severely out of order.

Danny_Hibee
11-12-2009, 02:10 PM

I've never seen it either and would be surprised if it was deliberate altho was described as possibly being a bit OTT for training at the time but I was just meaning that it is probably something that is playing on SWP's mind whether it was deliberate or not. Havent heard anything about him suing SWP but apparently Ashton was considering an insurance claim against england which I assume they will be covered for anyway

Hibs90
11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
He was always a bit over-rated in my eyes, but still a good player. Shame that he's retired at that age though. :agree:

frazeHFC
11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Great player, West Ham have not been the same without him :agree:

LamontHFC©
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Oh, how ever will they cope. :rolleyes:

NOLA
11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
a big shame for deano, quality player, pity we never got too see him in his prime, reminded me alot of sheringham, not the quickest but great touch and awareness, sure he'll do well for himself.

HibeeUnderwood
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Considering that he's only 26, this is a real shame!

He was a great player with great potential and its a huge blow to West Ham!

All the best with whatever you do in the future Dean!