PDA

View Full Version : Season to date Vs Expectations

Kevvy1875
10-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Given what we knew at the beginning of the season and the bleakish look on the footbaling side with Jones and Fletcher departing, how do people rate our performance to date against their expectations/hopes.

Yogi has come in and made a difference for certain and the players he had brought in have too. I must say that my score is :top marks. If you were being fussy then you would say we deserved a point at the least Vs Celtic and that we just didnt turn up Vs Hamilton. Thats it though....we have taken points in every other game and are looking extremely hard to beat. The defensive record is the most mind boggling for me....where did THAT come from??

Anyway, dont want to go off track here......question is: Your rating out of 10 against your pre-season hopes and expectations.

Hibercelona
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I'd say 9/10.

The reason i'm only saying 9 is because I still think we have that little bit more room for improvement. :agree:

But overall, I've been very impressed this season.

The work rate and commitment these lads put into every game is nothing short of exceptional. :agree:

Unlike another club in Edinburgh, where players would give up an arm and leg just to leave. :rolleyes:

Kevvy1875
10-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Amazing the difference a few players can make:wink: Last season it was clear we needed.....

1. A steadier/more experienced option than Maka(who I still rate as promising)

2.A Centre midfield(as we couldnae string 2 passes together last season)

3.A right back(anything other than DVZ, given McCann's predicament)

So we got Stack, Miller and McBride who have been just the ticket for the first 2 there.

The RB situation with Spoony coming in and making it his own has been a massive bonus for Yogi and he had some good fortune there.

Other signing? Stokes has been a bonus, didnt really need another striker but its certainly handy having plenty:cool2:. And Zoomer coming back has also benefited.

So thats 4 players Yogi brought in doing the buisness week in and week out. 2 were already at the club but not playing last season. Its all came together very well. Credit to Hughes....showing he is very capable.

basehibby
11-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I've put :top marks - reason being that my expectations have so far been very much exceeded.

Expected Yogi to make some signings and improve the team - this has been carried out but my expectations were far exceeded with two high profile signings like Stokes and Miller coming in the door and all the new guys looking like an improvementon on those just departed.

Expected or certainly hoped for an improvement in form so that the team would be seriously challenging for 3rd spot - did NOT expect to be 2 points off the top at this stage - long may it continue!

I was 100% behind Hughes' appointment but am genuinely surprised at the rate of progress so far so :top marksseems fair.

PS - that's if you don't include the early CIS Cup exit - would have hoped to go a bit further in that but league expectations have been blown away so far so what the hey!

jgl07
11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
But for the CIS elimination I would have gone for 9/10.

A win at Tynecastle might have edged things to 10/10.

As it is 8/10 is about right.

Calvin
11-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Knocked out the CIS in the 3rd round.

Beaten 2-0 by Hamilton.

Home defeat to Celtic.

We're in December and that's 2 and a half complaints so far. A definite 9/10.

Hibhibhooray
11-12-2009, 12:30 AM
has to be full marks for me. At the end/ start of the season I actually thought about not renewing my season ticket,

Fletch & Jones went, some others were released and the 'Mavericks' arrived I thought mid table would be best with the infirm, arabs & Dons ahead of us and we would be mixing it with the yams & middenwell........

How glad I am to be so wrong, so from what Yogi has done and the players Rod has allowed him to bring in its 10/10 from me.:thumbsup:

and I know i am being greedy but 'Please Sir Can I have some more':wink:

Mon the Hibs

CallumLaidlaw
11-12-2009, 06:52 AM
We're getting results but some performances have been poor (Falkirk, Hearts, St.Mirren away)
The league cup tie was a real disappointment, as was the Hamilton game.
If we played 2 out of 3 games like we did against Motherwell it would be 10/10, but then I suppose our players would be at bigger clubs than us if they played like that every single week.
There's ALWAYS room for improvement.
8/10 for me :wink:

BenjiOscar
11-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Reason it is not a 10 for me is down to the League Cup exit. Apart from that I think we are now starting to see the side gel. Consistency of selection, playing players in their strongest positions and the work ethic are all really evident now.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2009, 07:46 AM
:top marks Thats not to say we cant improve, i'm sure we will improve every transfer window.:thumbsup: Each and ever signing Yogi has made has been a decent one, an improvement on the players they replaced.

The football has been a bit better, progress there. :top marks The results are much better :top marks. When Yogi came in, i'd imagine most folk would have expected a season of hit and miss, some good, some bad. Well apart from a couple of bad results, we are way ahead of where most of us thought we would be. So another :top marks So as the question says season to date expectations, there is only one mark i think we can give, and thats a :top marks

The_Todd
11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
If we actually bothered to play at Tynie that would have merited a higher score, as it turns out we were very poor- though sadly for the yams still enough of a match to get a point.

So far, much better than expected though.

number 27
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
League Cup elimination stops it being a 10 for me. If we were still in that there would be a real chance of a trophy and the feelgood factor would be through the roof. So just a 9/10 for me.

Hibs90
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I went for 7. Our performances have not been THAT great but we have been grinding out results. Come Mid Febuary and if we are still at the top or roundabouts then it will be a 9 for definate.

dalkeith stu
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
9/10
Like alot on here have already said a point dropped for early cup exit.
Keep up the good work Yogi!!!:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
7 or 8/10 for me. I know, I'm very hard to please! :greengrin

We were knocked out of the League Cup at home which isn't great as that probably represents the best opportunity for us to win some silverware each year. Also, with the exception of two or three games, we haven't really played fantastic stuff for a full 90 minutes yet, although it has been a lot better than last year.

There's still quite a bit of room for improvement so it just shows how impressive it is that we're in joint second place, despite not really playing at the top of our game yet.