PDA

View Full Version : Latapy Vs Zemmama

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok two top players - very similar type of style.

Both played at ER at different times and obviously in different teams with different managers.

Who do you think in years to come will go down as the greater of the two ? :confused:

From my point of view I love watching Zemmama now as I don't think there are many players in the SPL like him if at all. Being away last year showed how much we missed him though still needs to finish this season strong how he has started it. :agree:

Latapy in my time watching Hibs is still one of my top 3 if not favourite. The way he left didn't help things but he went on to show at Falkirk what a player he was. He also scored my favourite ever goal in that 6v2 game - the give and go with Mixu and volley in front of the Famous Five end :thumbsup:

I think sometimes players like this are taking for granted when they come to Hibs and think we should really contunie to show Zemmama as much support as possible till he eventually leaves.....hopefully not for a season or so yet.

Hainan Hibs
10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
A tricky one, could have went for either, but in the end had to go for Latapy. The team he was in was my favourite Hibs team and my decision was probably made from the memories of watching him in that team, and that goal against Hearts in the 6-2 game:notworthy:.

CorrieHibs
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Latapy for me guy was a genius could change a game in a second with a world class pass so skilfull as well. If he stayed we would of won the scottish cup that day against celtic. My third favourite player ever at Hibs behind deek and the legend Mr Frank Sauzee.

Baw187
10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Latapy by a country mile IMHO.

He had bags of goals in him that Zouma doesn't and was a lynch pin in the centre of the park. Some of the stuff Latapy did took my breath away.

Zouma's a good wee player but is more of a tricky wee wide player. Zouma couldn't dominate the middle of the park by getting his foot on the ball like Latapy did.

They're 2 different types of player but Latapy was excellent at what he did.

whereswallace?
10-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Latapy = Genius

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Latapy for me guy was a genius could change a game in a second with a world class pass so skilfull as well. If he stayed we would of won the scottish cup that day against celtic. My third favourite player ever at Hibs behind deek and the legend Mr Frank Sauzee.

I would to have loved to seen how we would have done that day if he had been there :boo hoo:

Latapy Vs Sauzee poll - Has it ever been done ???

Hank Schrader
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Latapy. No contest.

Jim44
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm glad we've got Zemmama but he doesn't have the football brain, class or finesse of Latapy.

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm glad we've got Zemmama but he doesn't have the football brain, class or finesse of Latapy.

:agree::thumbsup:

Zemmama has showed how important he is this season with his performances.

Have we actually played well when he hasn't been on the pitch ?

matty_f
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Latapy, if for no other reason than goal number 6.

If Only
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Latapy = Genius

Totally agree. Im just wondering why a poll was needed.

erin go bragh
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
latapy[how many bad games did he have]
i cant remember any:wink:
still think mcleish should have played him in the wee cup final:grr:
but hope we will have the same thread in two seasons time.
then maybe we can compare them:cool2:

sixtwo
10-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I've gone for Zemmama. I think they are both quality players but Russell's lack of proffessionalism undone a lot of the good work he had done at hibs.Towards the end of his time at hibs he was lazy and treated the club with contempt. He also went on to play for the huns which made me feel a wee bit ill!

Zemmama is a fantastic player and he can drive us to glory this season! He is a wee magician! He is looking great in a team that is 2nd top of the SPL. Russell played a few of his games for us in the first division!

judas
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
My. What a silly poll.

wazoo1875
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Latapy for me , whilst Zemamma is a very good player , he couldnae lace wee Latapys' boots .

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Latapy by the proverbial country mile, whatever that is! IIRC he made his debut at Ayr, you could tell instantly he was something special.

New Corrie
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Latapy for me , whilst Zemamma is a very good player , he couldnae lace wee Latapys' boots .

:agree:

PC Stamp
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
latapy[how many bad games did he have]
i cant remember any:wink:
still think mcleish should have played him in the wee cup final:grr:
but hope we will have the same thread in two seasons time.
then maybe we can compare them:cool2:

I agree. Even though Latapy was clearly on his way out anyway and had broken most if not all of the rules in the book, not playing him weakened our side AND took away any chance he had to repay all of us (including McLeish) for his misdemeanours!

FWIW GJB was way over rated as a manager IMHO. Given the sort of money he was given he would have been lynched had he not built a decent challenging side. Let's not lose sight of the fact that even that decent challenging side could hardly win a game when 2001 came around ... except in the Scottish Cup. The one game we desperately wanted to win in the Scottish Cup however, we went into with a weaker side than was necessary, all for him to prove he was the big chief.

jdships
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Latapy for me as his overall contribution to games was immeasurable .
Will accept Zemmama as a great "second best" :greengrin:wink:

Andy74
10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Latapy by a mile right now. A top class football brain to go with the skills. He had a great ability to do the simple things well first and foremost. I doubt zemmama could play in the heart of the midfield like latapy did as he'd give the ball away too much with needless tricks and taking people on in the wrong places.

Capt Mainwaring
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Not even close, Russell by a country mile

GloriousHibs
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
To see the terror in the yam players eyes as Russell ran at them was worth the entry fee alone. Absolute genius and my favourite all time player.

mim
10-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Latapy's probably still a better player than Zouma, but that does not mean that Zouma is anything other than excellent.

Just a mark of how brilliant Latapy was.

The Voice Of Reason
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Latapy's probably still a better player than Zouma, but that does not mean that Zouma is anything other than excellent.

Just a mark of how brilliant Latapy was.

Agreed. :agree:

But in answer to the Poll - no contest, "The Black Pearl" by a mile. :agree:

Hibercelona
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Zemmama is a top class player with incredible ability and trickery.

Latapy was all that.... but more. :agree:

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
My. What a silly poll.

Only on hibs.net :wink:

Just wanted to see what peoples opinions still were of Latapy.

Like I said in my 1st post I still hold him in high regard. :flag:

Kevvy1875
10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
More end product from Russell wins him my vote. At the peak of his powers when we had him though. Zoomer has alot more to come and his desicion making will improve with experience and he will keep getting better:greengrin

brydekirk
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

:agree: was never a greedy player either :agree:

whereswallace?
10-12-2009, 10:22 PM
The ball for Zitelli goal and the 6th show the class of the guy.Lets all enjoy this again :greengrin

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 10:48 PM
The ball for Zitelli goal and the 6th show the class of the guy.Lets all enjoy this again :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

We have talked so much about it...

4.50 mins :thumbsup:

Enjoy :greengrin

bob12345
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Latapy's consistency was a big factor. You just didn't get bad games out of him very often at all, whereas Zemamma has been excellent this season - but before just showed glimpses.

Baw187
11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Latapy's consistency was a big factor. You just didn't get bad games out of him very often at all, whereas Zemamma has been excellent this season - but before just showed glimpses.

For the last few month's of Latapy's stay, he was a lazy bass and drifted through games doing very little at times. I recall fans regularly getting on his back during those times.

Doesn't detract from his ability when he was interested and on form though.

Mon Dieu4
11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Whilest Sauzee is my all time hero, Latapy is the best player I have ever seen play for Hibs:agree:

Zemmama has the potential IMO to be as good but not sure if that will be at Hibs or not

andudare2
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Just a mark of how brilliant Latapy was. i concur with this statement. wee man was a star, closest ive seen to alex edwards in a hibs shirt, veritable class.:notworthy:

bighairyfaeleith
11-12-2009, 02:31 PM
latapy was one of the best players to ever wear a hibs shirt and zemmama as good as he is doesn't come close for me.

bod
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Latapy,without him i'd never have been in Trinidad & Tobago

lyonhibs
11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Latapy. No contest.

In a nutshell :agree:

Pretty Boy
12-12-2009, 12:04 AM
His 2 goals against Hamilton to bring us back into the SPL and the 6th against Hearts alone would do it for Latapy.

Added to the fact he is better in just about every department than Zemamma(who is himself a fine player) then for me it's a no contest.

brydekirk
12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
this thread is a joke . latapy cant loose :agree:

Pete
12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
this thread is a joke . latapy cant loose :agree:

It's a bit harsh calling it a joke. I've seen Zouma do things with his feet that Latapy couldn't even dream of. It's a debate worth having even if it leads in other directions.

Latapy was a mature player...the real deal when he was here yet Zouma is still quite young.

If we can keep Benjis pal for a while we might be looking at something better than the judas...sorry genius that Latapy was.

Was Latapy that good when he was that young?

KWJ
12-12-2009, 06:22 AM
I don't think there's anything Zouma does that Latas would dream about, Latapy did everything including the tricks and all but he done it in such an understated way.

I don't think having Latapy would have made any difference , he'd lost his appetite for us around Christmas and this was a major factor in our dip in form. He then spent a few years playing within himself until he returned to Falkirk and started enjoying his football again.

McLeish probably did the right thing as Russ had had plenty of warnings in the past and you can't have any order if one player has a completely free reign.

IWasThere2016
12-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Love Zemmama! Who doesn't?!?

But Latapy was very special. It was just marvellous to go and watch him. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who didn't see wee Russell strut his stuff for the Hibs. He was an absolute joy to behold.

The main difference between the two is it was effortless for Latapy - and that's the true sign of genius IMHO.