PDA

View Full Version : New defender? (unknown Kiwi on trial)

O'Rourke3
10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-boss-running-the-rule.5900126.jp

Presumably one for the future or are we trying for the rock on which their World Cup qualification was based on? Anyone wih details?

3pm
10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
A defender is evidently a priority. Was there never any progress on the Icelandic felly who was on trial?

HFC 0-7
10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
A defender is evidently a priority. Was there never any progress on the Icelandic felly who was on trial?

Why is it evident? We have conceeded the least amount of goals in the league this season, only 9!

Last season at this stage we had conceeded 21!

andrew70
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Why is it evident? We have conceeded the least amount of goals in the league this season, only 9!

Last season at this stage we had conceeded 21!

Because evidently the players we are mostly being linked with are defenders. The guy posting above doesn't state that we evidently need one though. For what it's worth I think Hibs require a centre half and a right back in Jauary to a) cover for Bamba's month away and b) to allow Wotherspoon to be at his effective best in the midfield

brog
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Is this a first? Can't recall seeing any scoops on the board re this guy. Maybe they don't have Greggs in NZ!! :wink:

Speedway
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Is this a first? Can't recall seeing any scoops on the board re this guy. Maybe they don't have Greggs in NZ!! :wink:

Not all scoops make it to the main board, of course. :wink:

HFC 0-7
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Because evidently the players we are mostly being linked with are defenders. The guy posting above doesn't state that we evidently need one though. For what it's worth I think Hibs require a centre half and a right back in Jauary to a) cover for Bamba's month away and b) to allow Wotherspoon to be at his effective best in the midfield

You are maybe right in that he meant evident because we are linked with defenders, however, we are being linked with Kyle and Arfield as well. I think we have quite a lot of cover at the back, but would say that a CB would be a good addition. We have McCormack and Hanlon with McCann still to come back. Murray can play in the middle of the defence and McCormacks natural position, I believe, is CB.

My opinion would be that we need another quality creative midfielder, as when Zemmama doesnt play we can look lost going forward and resort to pumping balls forward which doesnt suit us. Zemmama is the type of player that will get injured and will be suspended as he tends to pick up bookings. Hibs have a good team, but I dont think they have a very good squad, and unless we sort it we will fall away towards the end.

Speedway
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
You are maybe right in that he meant evident because we are linked with defenders, however, we are being linked with Kyle and Arfield as well. I think we have quite a lot of cover at the back, but would say that a CB would be a good addition. We have McCormack and Hanlon with McCann still to come back. Murray can play in the middle of the defence and McCormacks natural position, I believe, is CB.

My opinion would be that we need another quality creative midfielder, as when Zemmama doesnt play we can look lost going forward and resort to pumping balls forward which doesnt suit us. Zemmama is the type of player that will get injured and will be suspended as he tends to pick up bookings. Hibs have a good team, but I dont think they have a very good squad, and unless we sort it we will fall away towards the end.

I think that's why we're after an RB, so that Wothers can go be the creator in Zouma's absence.

As for McCann, I fear that it's not looking good for him at Hibs.

Jack
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
You got to think it will be an international so here they all are;

Aaron Scott (23) Waitakere United RB – really cheap :confused:
Tony Lochhead (27) FC Wellington Phoenix LB – quite cheap :bitchy:
Benjamin Sigmund (28) FC Wellington Phoenix CH – really cheap :bitchy:
Ryan Nelsen (32) Captain Blackburn Rovers CH – really expensive :bitchy:
David Mulligan (27) FC Wellington Phoenix R/L – quite cheap :cool2:
Andrew Boyens (26) New York Red Bulls CH – quite cheap :cool2:

Only Aaron Scott fits in with age profile, and all that, that we often go for in a quite old defence.

Canny really see the captain of Blackburn Rovers going on trial or coming to Hibs. Unlucky Ryan you'll never play for the Mighty Hibees :faf:

Jack
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Think too, we’re all saying Bamba MUST stay at Hibs until after the WC so that the best price is got all round.

Just because they're on the other side of the world doesn’t mean they wont be thinking the same ... as I’m sure a few of our antipodean family members will not be slow in telling us.

Speedway
10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Where was Knisboro from? Australia?

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Where was Knisboro from? Australia?

Yep :agree:

MyJo
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Only Aaron Scott fits in with age profile, and all that, that we often go for in a quite old defence.

Canny really see the captain of Blackburn Rovers going on trial or coming to Hibs. Unlucky Ryan you'll never play for the Mighty Hibees :faf:

the first 4 are still playing in thier respective league's seasons so would unlikely be released for a trial,

Boyens, however is a 6'4 centre half that can also fill in at right back and playing for red bull who's season ended three weeks ago :cool2:

dalkeith stu
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t107&player=boyens_a&playerId=boy173751&statType=current

I think i will be this guy as he's the only one not with their club just now.
Might get him on loan like AC Milan with Becks.

hibsboy90
10-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm sure i heard on here a few weeks back that we had a kiwi on the books at ER already. In the youth setup, who was going to the World Cup? :confused:

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Like the sound of Benjamin Sigmund. Can we sign him on the basis of his name?

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM

I liked the name Humphrey Rudge, that one didnt turn out too well :faf:

Andy74
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM

There was nowt wrong with Rudge!

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Played well in the Derby & then never got a chance again, hence it didnt turn out too well

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Played well in the Derby & then never got a chance again, hence it didnt turn out too well

He actually had a VERY good game in the Derby at ER - remember sitting in the west that day and was very impressed with him on that performance :agree:

Seen worse...

O'Rourke3
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM

:cool2:Stop taking the Jarko

Captain Trips
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM

:agree:Rudge looked ok to me, I have seen a lot lot worse over years. He looked like could have been a player.

Jack
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm sure i heard on here a few weeks back that we had a kiwi on the books at ER already. In the youth setup, who was going to the World Cup? :confused:

Jamie Doris, and while I think he’s a prospect, never seen him play but if he’s a Hibby :thumbsup:, at 16 years old probably a bit young.

Ferry Hibbee
10-12-2009, 05:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8404829.stm

Cole Tinkler would appear to be the unknown player on trial ....wikipedia not very informative...

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Cole Tinkler would appear to be the unknown player on trial ....wikipedia not very informative...

http://www.nzfootball.co.nz/page/cole_tinkler.html

Attacking threat from corners ? :greengrin

Best Goal - " The last one I scored can’t remember, because it was so long ago"

Iain G
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Siggy has just been banned for 3 matches for punching a player in the 'nix last game, would he have had time to get over to the UK for a week knowing he was out of at least the next match? Good solid centre back who has come onto a good game this season and did well against Bahrain in the qualifiers.

Locchead is a left back, Mulligan doesn;t get a game for the Phoenix at all so would be free for a trial I suspect!

Aaron Scott (IIRC) has a good reputation down here even though he is playing at a more local league level, mind you it's the same level as Auckland City who just beat the locals in teh Club World Cup.

Yeah Jamie Doris was at the U17 world cup thing, way too young to make the full squad for the big world cup.

Iain G
10-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Hmmm, never heard of him!! :confused:

But isnt shown on the playing staff on the Auckland City official website...

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Siggy has just been banned for 3 matches for punching a player in the 'nix last game, would he have had time to get over to the UK for a week knowing he was out of at least the next match? Good solid centre back who has come onto a good game this season and did well against Bahrain in the qualifiers.

Locchead is a left back, Mulligan doesn;t get a game for the Phoenix at all so would be free for a trial I suspect!

Aaron Scott (IIRC) has a good reputation down here even though he is playing at a more local league level, mind you it's the same level as Auckland City who just beat the locals in teh Club World Cup.

Yeah Jamie Doris was at the U17 world cup thing, way too young to make the full squad for the big world cup.

Poor Sigmund.

I'm sure it was just a Freudian slip.

WindyMiller
10-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Poor Sigmund.

I'm sure it was just a Freudian slip.

:hilarious

sixtwo
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM

It is none of the above. It's the brilliantly titled Cole TINKLER:faf:

Pedantic_Hibee
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
It is none of the above. It's the brilliantly titled Cole TINKLER:faf:

Any relation to the former Barnsley player Eric Tinkler?

Who, come to think of it, was South African......therefore, simply ignore me :confused:

Iain G
10-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Out of interest, where did you get your "really cheap" opinions of the above players? Why is Mulligan who can't get a game for love nor money only quite cheap, when Sigmund is really cheap?? :confused:

And remember these guys are off to the world cup, does that make the Scotland defence dirt cheap?? :confused::wink:

seanshow
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
It is none of the above. It's the brilliantly titled Cole TINKLER

I'd prefer Cole Trickle... he's really fast ive heard :wink:

RIP
10-12-2009, 09:52 PM

A little wee?

GreenCastle
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__by_club.pdf

Major League Soccer Wages -

Andrew Boyens - Red Bull New York - Page 6

He was on about £30,000 a year = about $ 50,000

Note also Beckam's Salary (bottom of page 4) compared to others :dizzy:

hibbie02
10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
It is none of the above. It's the brilliantly titled Coal TINKLER:faf:

That is a neat trick but must be bloody painful..............

Where's mah coat???? :greengrin

Toaods
10-12-2009, 10:34 PM
dunno about any Kiwi...miss too many games with long haul travel ...???

just a wee clutching at straws here but Toaods logic says Championship player to Hibs = club that someone is either out of favour and/or the manager is planning a clear out. Thought of Ipswich and Jason De Vos (perfect stop gap replacement for Bamba?) and stumbled onto this very interesting wee article..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5763443,00.html

his track record would seem about right for us...

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11707_33435,00.html

hfc rd
10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
It is a guy called Cole Tinkler. Yogi says he is capable of playing anywhere across the back 4, which is good. Here is the link for some random information about him:-
http://www.nzfootball.co.nz/page/cole_tinkler.html

ginger_eejit
10-12-2009, 11:09 PM

You're (We're) not getting Siggy DBS.

He's been an absolute standout for Phoenix this season, hence his call-up and great performances for the All-Whites. Although he does start a 3 game match suspension tomorrow (Wellington Phoenix v Sydney FC @ Palmerston North) for Violent Conduct (match review panel cited him for punching a Melbourne Victory player last week)

Lochy has been solid for the Nix as well this season (and trialled at Hibs pre-season last year - although I dont think he got selected for the friendly against Middlesborough)

Iain G
10-12-2009, 11:54 PM

He's been an absolute standout for Phoenix this season, hence his call-up and great performances for the All-Whites. Although he does start a 3 game match suspension tomorrow (Wellington Phoenix v Sydney FC @ Palmerston North) for Violent Conduct (match review panel cited him for punching a Melbourne Victory player last week)

Lochy has been solid for the Nix as well this season (and trialled at Hibs pre-season last year - although I dont think he got selected for the friendly against Middlesborough)

I just wish it had been that erse Kevin Muscat he had walloped, he annoyed the hell out of me last week. :grr:

Aubenas
10-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Make, Model and Year of the Car you Drive:

1992 Honda Integra

Well, according to Mogga's comments on the cars in the E R car park, Cole's a stick on to sign...............:wink::rolleyes::devil:

Steve-O
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Lochhead trialled at Hibs? Wasn't it Middlesborough he was on trial with?

As for this Tinkler, 2 of my mates here actually played in the same team as him for Miramar Rangers, and he is apparently no better than average and DEFINITELY not good enough for the SPL.

So, ****** knows how or why he's managed to get a trial at Hibs.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM

As for this Tinkler, 2 of my mates here actually played in the same team as him for Miramar Rangers, and he is apparently no better than average and DEFINITELY not good enough for the SPL.

So, your mates should be coaching Hibs surely as they clearly know more than Hughes who, having seen him for a week said he was certainly no worse than we had already. Or does that mean our current lot are not SPL standard??

Steve-O
11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
So, your mates should be coaching Hibs surely as they clearly know more than Hughes who, having seen him for a week said he was certainly no worse than we had already. Or does that mean our current lot are not SPL standard??

So my mates, who played with him for longer than 1 week in the same team know nothing but Hughes who has seen the guy training for a few hours knows everything about him? Aye ok.

This was not the top league, it was actually the 3rd team of that particular team so he was at least 2 leagues down from even the top league in Wellington.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
So my mates, who played with him for longer than 1 week in the same team know nothing but Hughes who has seen the guy training for a few hours knows everything about him? Aye ok.

This was not the top league, it was actually the 3rd team of that particular team so he was at least 2 leagues down from even the top league in Wellington.

Yes, I'm saying eactly that. He's seen him play for a week at his current state of develoment with SPL players around him.

I've played in teams with guys who I never dreamed would do anything but they did.

I'll be quite happy to take Hughes' judgement on this one over your mates who seem to be at a pretty poor football level themselves and presumably have never had to judge and manage players.

Steve-O
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, I'm saying eactly that. He's seen him play for a week at his current state of develoment with SPL players around him.

I've played in teams with guys who I never dreamed would do anything but they did.

I'll be quite happy to take Hughes' judgement on this one over your mates who seem to be at a pretty poor football level themselves and presumably have never had to judge and manage players.

Aye, the same level this guy was playing at?

He played for the New Zealand Knights who were garbage.

He can't get in the All Whites squad either even though there are players in there who play for local teams and are only part timers.

I think we've seen plenty of examples over time that managers do not always get it right with regards to judging players' ability.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM

He can't get in the All Whites squad either even though there are players in there who play for local teams and are only part timers.

I think we've seen plenty of examples over time that managers do not always get it right with regards to judging players' ability.

He WAS playing at that standard. Any of your mates get a trial at Hibs? John Hughes suggest any of them were no worse than the SPL standard defenders he already had?

Do we need to mention Ivan Sproule again? Liam Miller didn't have any sort of club.

Yes, plenty of managers have got it wrong on players but over the piece I'll take John Hughes' assesment over your mates thoughts though. That's all. In the grand scheme of things I think more managers have got it right than punters.

FWIW I can't see it being a goer anyway as I'm sure we will have better options.

Baw187
11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
He WAS playing at that standard. Any of your mates get a trial at Hibs? John Hughes suggest any of them were no worse than the SPL standard defenders he already had?

Do we need to mention Ivan Sproule again? Liam Miller didn't have any sort of club.

Yes, plenty of managers have got it wrong on players but over the piece I'll take John Hughes' assesment over your mates thoughts though. That's all. In the grand scheme of things I think more managers have got it right than punters.

FWIW I can't see it being a goer anyway as I'm sure we will have better options.

I hope after all this, Andy, he doesn't sign and become the new Colin Murdoch !!!

Iain G
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM

No matter the forum my friend, you seem to get yourself into these arguements :wink:

Would suggest if he is only playing at NZ club level and hasn't progressed to an A League team that I am also surprised that he got a trial for Hibs, still am happy to back Yogi on his assessment of a player these days...now if it was Mixu still :devil:

And yes, Lochhead had a trial with 'Boro last pre-season.

Dr Jimmy
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I hope after all this, Andy, he doesn't sign and become the new Colin Murdoch !!!

Just got a shiver down my spine.......please think before you type!

Baw187
11-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Just got a shiver down my spine.......please think before you type!

Indeed !

There are few players that annoy or frustrate me enough for me to give them barralloads of verbals at games but he was one of them. Alan Orman was another.

MyJo
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

someone's "mate" who was a falkirk fan and watched Kevin McBride week in and week out told us that he was pish and they were delighted to be rid of him.

Someone's "mate" who was a dunfermline fan and watched Sol Bamba week in and week out, laughed when they heard we had signed him and labelled him a complete bombscare who probably wouldn't cut it in the SPL

i sense a theme developing here :wink:

Andy74
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Hold on, I wan't endorsing the guy, just suggesting that John Hughes, having seen him the last week, and being a half decent SPL manager, will be best placed to judge this guy rather than some boys who once played with him in the minor leagues. :greengrin

Iain G
11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hold on, I wan't endorsing the guy, just suggesting that John Hughes, having seen him the last week, and being a half decent SPL manager, will be best placed to judge this guy rather than some boys who once played with him in the minor leagues. :greengrin

Come on Andy, sounded like you were touting him to solve Man U's defensive headache, especially if he can play all positions across the back 4, preferably all at once for Fergie :wink:

Andy74
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Come on Andy, sounded like you were touting him to solve Man U's defensive headache, especially if he can play all positions across the back 4, preferably all at once for Fergie :wink:

Naw, Murdoch is your man for that, been there before and all that.

500miles
11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Sol Bamba's central defensive partner at Dunfermline RESERVES was laughing when we signed him. "Never SPL quality" he said, "a liability" he said.

Let the players play, and the managers do the thinking.

Billychaotic182
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_boss_hughes_plans_january_swoop_for_trial_pai r_477024/index.shtml

Cropley10
12-12-2009, 06:32 PM
In Yogi we trust.

We NEED cover for Bamba whilst he's away (or gone). A new RB is a good idea - giving 'Spoon the opportunity to move into midfield (especially with McCannavaro being crocked.)

I'd like to think that both these guys could do a job for us.

--------
12-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Not sure how far I trust that website.

However - one guy on the brink of recognition for the Kiwis and an Icelandic international - sounds OK in theory.

So now we wait and see what happens... :devil:

MSK
12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_boss_hughes_plans_january_swoop_for_trial_pai r_477024/index.shtmlAye ..must be true then ..:rolleyes:

Cropley10
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Not sure how far I trust that website.

However - one guy on the brink of recognition for the Kiwis and an Icelandic international - sounds OK in theory.

So now we wait and see what happens... :devil:

Well with Barr off to England at the end of the season I think we know what will happen.

brydekirk
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
the tinkler fellie can play anywhere in the back line.:agree: :thumbsup:

hibbie02
12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Do guys on that site quote Greggs threads on here as being reliable???:confused:

sixtwo
12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Neither player fills me with optomism tbh. Tinkler cannot even get a game for NZ:bitchy:

Bayern Bru
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Neither player fills me with optomism tbh. Tinkler cannot even get a game for NZ:bitchy:

I expect there's quite a few players who can't get a game for NZ.

Riordan can't get a game for Scotland. Neither can Murray. Catch my drift?

Steve-O
13-12-2009, 02:44 AM
I expect there's quite a few players who can't get a game for NZ.

Riordan can't get a game for Scotland. Neither can Murray. Catch my drift?

Slightly different situation. New Zealand have part timers in their squad and do not have a recognised right back. Strangely, this guy can apparently play right-back but still can't get in?

Steve-O
13-12-2009, 02:48 AM
someone's "mate" who was a falkirk fan and watched Kevin McBride week in and week out told us that he was pish and they were delighted to be rid of him.

Someone's "mate" who was a dunfermline fan and watched Sol Bamba week in and week out, laughed when they heard we had signed him and labelled him a complete bombscare who probably wouldn't cut it in the SPL

i sense a theme developing here :wink:

These players were both at SPL clubs, it's not like they were playing for Tranent Juniors or someone like that!

I'm only passing on what I've been told, no need for everyone to get on the defensive and do the old 'you dont know anything unless youve been involved in the game' argument that often gets trotted out.

ginger_eejit
13-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Indeed - I mixed up that he trialled at Boro and didn't get selected for the preseason against Hibs