PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Williamson = Complete tit (Bobby Mann tale again)

Leith Green
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Was absolutly stunned to read in John Robertsons article inside todays Sun, he was recalling a story from 6 years ago, apparently Blobby was desperate to sign Bobby Mann for Hibs from Inverness but didn't have the funds to sign him..

Incredibly Blobby agreed to a player swap deal for Mann, with Derek Riordan and Steven Whittaker signing for Inverness not on loan but permanently and Hibs getting Mann in return...

Just goes to show what a complete fudd he is!!

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I remember the story doing the rounds at the time :grr:

Still a pretty good article by Blobbo :agree:

DEREK RIORDAN'S back to being talked about as one of the most exciting players in the country.
And while Hibs manager John Hughes deserves praise for his influence, I think you have to give most of the credit to the boy himself.

John is only really in charge of Riordan when he turns up at the training ground and for matches.

Away from that environment it's up to Riordan to conduct himself properly and be professional.

I think the lad had a really hard time at Celtic and he just didn't seem to fit into Gordon Strachan's plans.

Yet talk to a lot of Celtic fans and they will tell you they were happy with his contribution, even though it was a small one at times.

Coming back to Hibs has given Riordan a lift.

He's settled into a place he knows very well. He knows the fans love him and he knows the manager rates him.

Above all, though, Riordan knows his gaffer will give him a platform to perform every week.

I happen to believe that he's starting to calm himself down off the pitch.

I sense Riordan realises it's not all about going clubbing and getting into fights or situations that he really shouldn't be involved in. He's sorting himself out away from Easter Road and you can see he's getting fitter and sharper.

We all know a fit and sharp Derek Riordan will score goals.

If he's not scoring then he's setting them up for others.

Hopefully, the penny has dropped for Riordan.

What happened to him at Celtic may be providing added motivation. It could prove to be the making of him.

A similar thing happened to me at Newcastle United. For whatever reason things didn't work out for me there.

I only played 11 matches and was used wide left in midfield. It just didn't happen for me and I returned to Hearts.

Initially, I needed a hernia operation. But after that I kicked on and never looked back.

However, I never regretted going down south. I felt I had to go and experience it.

I've no doubt Riordan felt the same when he got the chance to join Celtic. He would have looked at a chance to pick up trophies and earn good money.

In terms of playing time at Celtic it was poor for him. But in terms of the experience I think it was still beneficial.

Now, he's returned to an arena where he's absolutely adored. It's still a matter of some regret that I missed out on the chance to work with him when I was manager at Inverness.

Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn't have the money to buy him.

So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.

My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn't have been completed in time that particular January.

However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.

Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.

Credit to both Riordan and Whittaker for how their careers have progressed since.

But Riordan was so nearly an Inverness player.

The boy had a lucky escape!

joejoefaemexico
10-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I remember the story doing the rounds at the time :grr:

Still a pretty good article by Blobbo :agree:

DEREK RIORDAN'S back to being talked about as one of the most exciting players in the country.
And while Hibs manager John Hughes deserves praise for his influence, I think you have to give most of the credit to the boy himself.

John is only really in charge of Riordan when he turns up at the training ground and for matches.

Away from that environment it's up to Riordan to conduct himself properly and be professional.

I think the lad had a really hard time at Celtic and he just didn't seem to fit into Gordon Strachan's plans.

Yet talk to a lot of Celtic fans and they will tell you they were happy with his contribution, even though it was a small one at times.

Coming back to Hibs has given Riordan a lift.

He's settled into a place he knows very well. He knows the fans love him and he knows the manager rates him.

Above all, though, Riordan knows his gaffer will give him a platform to perform every week.

I happen to believe that he's starting to calm himself down off the pitch.

I sense Riordan realises it's not all about going clubbing and getting into fights or situations that he really shouldn't be involved in. He's sorting himself out away from Easter Road and you can see he's getting fitter and sharper.

We all know a fit and sharp Derek Riordan will score goals.

If he's not scoring then he's setting them up for others.

Hopefully, the penny has dropped for Riordan.

What happened to him at Celtic may be providing added motivation. It could prove to be the making of him.

A similar thing happened to me at Newcastle United. For whatever reason things didn't work out for me there.

I only played 11 matches and was used wide left in midfield. It just didn't happen for me and I returned to Hearts.

Initially, I needed a hernia operation. But after that I kicked on and never looked back.

However, I never regretted going down south. I felt I had to go and experience it.

I've no doubt Riordan felt the same when he got the chance to join Celtic. He would have looked at a chance to pick up trophies and earn good money.

In terms of playing time at Celtic it was poor for him. But in terms of the experience I think it was still beneficial.

Now, he's returned to an arena where he's absolutely adored. It's still a matter of some regret that I missed out on the chance to work with him when I was manager at Inverness.

Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn't have the money to buy him.

So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.

My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn't have been completed in time that particular January.

However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.

Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.

Credit to both Riordan and Whittaker for how their careers have progressed since.

But Riordan was so nearly an Inverness player.

riordan would never have moved to inverness, he has been quote as saying ''inverness? naw, a dinny fancie playing abroad!''

lapsedhibee
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Robbo probably being self-deprecating there rather than disrespecting a former employer. Wouldn't mind too much if the fat one decided to embark on some kick-and-tell columns, though.

Future17
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Was Riordan's first-team debut not against Hearts under Sauzee? :confused:

BigKev
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Was Riordan's first-team debut not against Hearts under Sauzee? :confused:

Yip 1-1 at the PBS. John O'Neil's injury time equaliser:thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM

My first time at Tynecastle, was absolutely mental at the end:thumbsup:

HibSem
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Bobby was a fantastic manager. You're all being bitter Hobos. Who knows Bobby Mann could have become a Hibs Legend.

:)

.Sean.
10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Has there ever been a manager with a worse judgement of player than Blobby? Not content with signing Colin ****ing Murdoch, but Bobby Mann over Deeks and Whittaker... :bitchy: Doesn't bare thinking about what would've happened if that deal had gone through.

Part/Time Supporter
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Has there ever been a manager with a worse judgement of player than Blobby? Not content with signing Colin ****ing Murdoch, but Bobby Mann over Deeks and Whittaker... :bitchy: Doesn't bare thinking about what would've happened if that deal had gone through.

:agree:

Bobby M would have won player of the year and Bobby W would have won manager of the year.

:fishin:

The_Todd
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Lets not forget Bobby Mann was held in high regard at the time, and Dundee United were after him too.

With hindsight we're obviously glad we kept Whittaker and Deeks, but then with hindsight that's easy.

Regina Phalange
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
To be fair, from that story it wasn't Williamson who wanted rid of Riordan and Whittaker, he was willing to trade 2 youths and those 2 were picked out by Park and Robertson. The fact that no deal was ever done despite him "desperately" wanting to sign Bobby Mann might suggest Blobby wasn't too keen on losing them.

ballengeich
10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
If you see the size of Bobby Mann now you'll realise that Bobby W saw him as a younger version of himself.

oregonhibby
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
To be fair the story is true. I am told by a very reliable source that the Board laughed that one out of court.

hibs0666
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
It is boring and in the past and never happened. WTF??

ginger_rice
10-12-2009, 07:34 PM

I was sat in the old stand amongst the all the yams at that game...murder trying not to jump up when the equaliser went in, related that tale to J O'N recently about how he nearly got me lynched.

The Voice Of Reason
10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
My first time at Tynecastle, was absolutely mental at the end:thumbsup:

My umpeenth time at Tynecastle (first time was the 2-2 draw when Joe McBride scored a free kick to make it 2-2 - we were 2-0 down).

I was on the pitch (naughty boy :hyper::slipper:) after John O' Neil scored in something like the 87th minute !

Franck Sauzee - The Hammer Of Hearts (unbeaten against them as player AND Manager) :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
10-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Hmm, let me think ..... who was it that signed Ally Scott, Graham Fyfe, Billy Kirkwood, Stuart Beedie and Joe Ward again? And then who was it that signed Lee Power and Tall Pish?

Point is that virtually all managers sign duds at some stage. Even St Tony the man who could do no wrong lumbered us with two ****** goalkeepers and Amadou Konte :greengrin

jgl07
11-12-2009, 01:17 AM
To be fair, from that story it wasn't Williamson who wanted rid of Riordan and Whittaker, he was willing to trade 2 youths and those 2 were picked out by Park and Robertson. The fact that no deal was ever done despite him "desperately" wanting to sign Bobby Mann might suggest Blobby wasn't too keen on losing them.
I suspect that the whole thing has the air of an urban myth about it.

If Williamson really wanted it to happen then it would have,

I think a few conversations about unspecificied youth team players being exchanged for Mann has been repeated ad nauseum.

I don't believe a word of it.

Danderhall Hibs
11-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Lets not forget Bobby Mann was held in high regard at the time, and Dundee United were after him too.

With hindsight we're obviously glad we kept Whittaker and Deeks, but then with hindsight that's easy.

It is easy with hindsight – it was also easy for Donald Park who was rubbing his hands together at the chance of getting Riordan and Whittaker in return for a journeyman.

I suspect that the whole thing has the air of an urban myth about it.

If Williamson really wanted it to happen then it would have,

I think a few conversations about unspecificied youth team players being exchanged for Mann has been repeated ad nauseum.

I don't believe a word of it.

Well it’s John Robertson that’s telling the story this time so it might have something in it! IIRC if we had finished top 6 the deal would’ve been done but because we were bottom 6 he decided to go with the youngsters.

silverhibee
11-12-2009, 01:34 PM
It is easy with hindsight – it was also easy for Donald Park who was rubbing his hands together at the chance of getting Riordan and Whittaker in return for a journeyman.

Well it’s John Robertson that’s telling the story this time so it might have something in it! IIRC if we had finished top 6 the deal would’ve been done but because we were bottom 6 he decided to go with the youngsters.

I dont think Riordan would have agreed to going up to Inverness at that time in his career.

RickyS
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

thats true, bottom six meant a reduction in income, therefore no budget. if we had finished top six it WOULD have happened, the fat one has told the story before. Deek and Whitaker agreed to go because of the link with Park. Sums Blobby up TBH

silverhibee
11-12-2009, 02:40 PM
thats true, bottom six meant a reduction in income, therefore no budget. if we had finished top six it WOULD have happened, the fat one has told the story before. Deek and Whitaker agreed to go because of the link with Park. Sums Blobby up TBH

Dont think this is true.

Broken Gnome
11-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Wonder how things would have panned out if, during that game against Aberdeen, Garry O'Connor hadn't gone off in a huff within the first half hour then Tam McManus didn't get injured....