PDA

View Full Version : Target 2nd Place

EasterRoad4Ever
09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Watching the Huns tonight, its clear just how awful they are. Admittedly against as decent Sevilla side, they are little more than workmanlike, no creativity, no striking power, average midfielders and ageing, slow defenders.

IMHO Celtic will win the SPL by a distance. However, I think Hibs or DUFC have EVERY chance of grabbing 2nd place from the Huns and splitting the OF and if not publicly, then privately, both clubs should be aiming for better than 3rd place.

givescotlandfreedom
09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I might get shot down for this but Celtc are only 2 points ahead of them. Why only aim for second? :notworthy:

heidtheba
09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I remember reading a post before the season where a couple of people on here were talking about Hertz aiming for second (hahahaha) and someone made the point that if the Infirm are only a few points apart, why not go for the league. Was discussing this very thing with a tame yam mate of mine yesterday.
Going for second seems ok on paper because most clubs do have this 'we would never win the league' thing. But if there is only a few points between them then why not have a pop at the top spot. This really could be the time to push. We've done not too badly with transfers this year but a splash of cash could be a sound thing to do right now. Well done to RP for saying we won't spend because if he said we were then everyones asking price would surely go up.
Double edged sword really, spend and go for what seems achievable in many ways or risk spending to chase something in vein and then end up in the financial do-do...
Hard one but Yogi seems to be doing sound things with transfers so who knows.

surreyhibbie
09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Watching the Huns tonight, its clear just how awful they are. Admittedly against as decent Sevilla side, they are little more than workmanlike, no creativity, no striking power, average midfielders and ageing, slow defenders.

IMHO Celtic will win the SPL by a distance. However, I think Hibs or DUFC have EVERY chance of grabbing 2nd place from the Huns and splitting the OF and if not publicly, then privately, both clubs should be aiming for better than 3rd place.

I'm sure both clubs are aiming to win every game, just as usual, but it does look like a wee bit extra push could make it a very successful season for either one of us. Or maybe both?

Get in there, guys, this is getting good!:thumbsup:

RoYO!
09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
if boyd picks up a lengthy injury and bougherra goes they are there for the taking

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2009, 09:27 PM
That Sevilla side would walk our SPL be a distance. Not sure that we would compete against them any more effectively that Rangers are at the moment. IMO if we finish fifth, that would be progress from last year. Whilst commentators repeatedly tell us that Rangers are still near the top of the league, without playing that well, it applies to us too.

LancashireHibby
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
No point worrying what the other teams are doing, just win our games and the table will sort itself out.

Gerard
09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
No point worrying what the other teams are doing, just win our games and the table will sort itself out.

:top marks
Gerard

bingo70
09-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Think they've still scored more goals than us this season and thats despite them having a honking start to the season, now they've been papped out europe they'll stop dropping so many points in the league IMO.

It's great both us and Utd are hanging in there but i still think there's next to no chance of us being up there at the end of the season, hope i'm wrong though.

NAE NOOKIE
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Just keep on trying to win our own games and hope that the others can put a spanner into the OF works.

It's still hard to look at any of our fixtures and say " aye thats a banker " but then I wasn't super confident about the Motherwell game and we won that without as much bother as it looked on paper.

If we can get to the split a few points ahead of the team in 4th and only a point or so behind the OF then I will get all excited about what could happen.

If that was the case at the split I for one would hope to see 15 or 16 thousand at every home game.

C'mon the Hibees !!!

:thumbsup:

mully_bear
09-12-2009, 10:52 PM

what rangers are scared of is pace. when we had sproule (for all his faults, he still had a lot of assists and goals) they were scared ****less of him.

we still need some genuine pace in the atacking third, galbraith deserves a bit more game time. say even 20 mins from the end

monktonharp
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
what rangers are scared of is pace. when we had sproule (for all his faults, he still had a lot of assists and goals) they were scared ****less of him.

we still need some genuine pace in the atacking third, galbraith deserves a bit more game time. say even 20 mins from the endexcellent point:agree:

HibbyAndy
09-12-2009, 11:17 PM
if boyd picks up a lengthy injury and bougherra goes they are there for the taking

:agree:

Clearly we would need to steer clear of injurys ourselves :agree:

Rangers are nae great shakes.

matty_f
10-12-2009, 12:07 AM
The sustainability of our challenge rests on two things:

January transfer window - who we bring in, and who we lose (if anyone). The right signing(s) in January could be the catalyst to a great end of the season. IMHO, it's imperative that we strengthen while we're doing well.

Injuries & Suspensions - we saw what could happen when we're without a few key players with the performance at the PBS - a pish poor Yams team were let off the hook because we had to make so many changes. If we can keep the nucleus of the team fit and free from suspension, then we've a better first 11 than most of the SPL sides.

I think if we have problems with either of those two areas, we'll finish 3rd, at best. Even with a bit of luck it's still a tall order to get second (or first!).