PDA

View Full Version : Question The Lugton Trilogy

Jonnyboy
08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
You may be aware that a trilogy of books by Alan Lugton cover the period 1875 - 1946 and that only part one is currently available in paperback form. I'm conducting this straw poll to gauge whether there would be interest if parts two and three were reprinted in paperback form.

As I'm aware that some folk have all three volumes whilst others might have just one or two I'm trying to word this poll to cover all eventualities :greengrin

Feel free to vote and to comment if you wish

Many thanks

Kato
08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Only missing part three. If he went onto the Famous Five and beyond I'd buy them as well. Saw some of the stuff he was reading one night at the NLS, outstanding clippings of a range of Famous Five cartoons. He's a fanatic and I doubt he's given up the scribbling so I hope he starts publishing again some time soon.

Jonnyboy
08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Bump

C'mon folks get yer votes in :thumbsup:

vincipernoi
08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
got all three

but would buy more copies for posterity

gbth

The Harp Awakes
09-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Got and read all 3. Just recently bought Vol 1 as a gift for a mate and would definitely do the same for Vol II and III. Amazing read all 3 volumes.

I've always felt that if we could get 100 folk (who were keen on football) but knew nothing about Hibs, to read Alan Lugton's trilogy, we'd have at least 50new converts to the Hibee cause. Multiply that up and that would be a lot of new fans.

Purple & Green
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I've got all three, and I've never read them cover to cover just a season at a time.

Like Kato, I think volumes 4,5,6 & 7 covering the post war years would be valuable additions to a Hibs collection but I wonder if Mr Lugton has any further plans to publish.

From a publishers point of view I doubt there is the demand to republish all three volumes, although it might have made sense to re-publish one at a time every couple of years. I'd guess that the first one was the biggest seller as that was the one that has seemed to remain in print.

You don't fancy writing the the unofficial making of Hibernian volume iv covering 1945-1961 Johnny/Kato? The big advantage of that period is that there are still players alive today whose input would be fascinating, but if it isn't recorded soon it will be lost forever. The sources in the library are also better.

BenjiOscar
09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I have all three volumes (having swapped the hardback vol 1 for the paperback version with a friend) but would like to buy copies for friends. Brian Johnson often has second hand copies in the programme shop but they can be quite expensive.

Also agree that with previous posters that it would be great to get a definitive book covering the post war years up to 1960.

superfurryhibby
09-12-2009, 10:26 AM
They are the greatest books written about any football team and they should be in print and available, always!

Alan Lugton's research must have taken a huge effort and it would be some feat to repeat that from the early fifties history onwards, although as some posters say , the archive material and living memories should be easier to access.

If you have never read them then get them from the library or something, they are a must for anyone who lives the Hibs or in fact anyone who loves Scottish football

Perhaps the poll could have also included those who have all three as well? Might provide some kind of balance, to show a rough guide to how many actually own them already.

Just Jimmy
09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Got part one, I'd love the chance to complete the triology. As other posters have mentioned new volumes to enhance the collection post war would be excellent.

hibbybrian
09-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Rikki Regina (think he had a stall up the back of the East Terrace yonks ago) was due to release The Making of Hibernian 4 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glory-Tears-making-Hibernian/dp/0859765121 but it doesn't seem to have come to fruition yet :confused:

Maybe some old codger will step into the breach, so to speak :greengrin

Jonnyboy
09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
475 views and only 59 votes :confused:

C'mon peeps :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
When's your book coming Jonny :greengrin

Carheenlea
09-12-2009, 04:55 PM
475 views and only 59 votes :confused:

C'mon peeps :greengrin

Perhaps they have all three...No options there for those that do!

I have all three, and can`t recommend them enough. Picked up vol 2 and 3 on e-bay for a pretty fair price.

One of my mates who happens to be a Rangers fan recently read a copy of vol 3 and as he thoroughly enjoyed it he was really keen to borrow my copies of vol 1 & 2. He is a bit of an amateur historian on Scottish football, and has a huge collection of books on the subject, and on finishing vol 1, he said it was the best football book he had read.

The books also provide a fascinating insight into the social structure of Edinburgh and Scotland at the time of the formation of our club. Unlike any other football book, and more than a football book.

G15 Hibs
09-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I've got parts 1 and 2 but somehow never got round to getting part 3. It's an important work really, cetainly part 1 and the social history it contains, as well as football history.
I don't know if there's a need for a post-war continuation just now though. There have been a books that cover that era pretty fully already. What was unique about the Lugton books was the depth they went into about the early days, so that it wasn't so much nostalgia as a lot of these type of books are - they are about a time before most of us can remember - it was an actual history and therefore a revelatory read, which told us a lot about our club.

What I found when I read parts 1 and 2 was the pride it gave me in being a Hibbie, reading about the guys that founded the club and those that kept it going through some pretty bad times. It really gave a feeling of being part of something special.

The Harp
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I've got the three of them (still unsigned if youre reading this, Mr Lugton :grr:) but would most likely buy them for my young Grandson for his social history/fitba' education.