PDA

View Full Version : Hibs board confirm no outward change in Policy

Kawacabbage10
08-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Johnny Yam take note how a proper football club is run......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8400761.stm

--------
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Johnny Yam take note how a proper football club is run......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8400761.stm

We ain't broke - so we don't need to go messing with things, IMO.

The last transfer window was a fairly busy one for us, and as far as I can see Yogi did some very good business without blowing a lot of money we didn't actually have.

Graham Stack, Kevin McBride, Paddy Cregg, Liam Miller, Danny Galbraith and Anthony Stokes, plus Zouma and Benji back in the fold and Davie Wotherspoon and a couple of others from last season's U-19s into the squad's good going.

I notice Scott Lindsay doesn't rule out a 'couple' of additions in January, though I suspect that those may be on a 'one out, one in basis' - maybe the ones who go out will go out in June rather than January, though.

jacomo
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't expect many new signings in January... but I definitely wouldn't expect the Chief Exec to talk up the prospect before it happens.

We all know how our club does its business... behind closed doors. That makes for pretty dull interviews, like this one, but that's just fine by me.

cockneymike
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
We all know how our club does its business... behind closed doors. That makes for pretty dull interviews, like this one, but that's just fine by me.

Don't you just love being boring - when it comes to the finances, not the style of football of course! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
We didn't get to where we are today by getting involved in bidding wars following the herd when they speculated to accumulate.

Rangers show that success can be bought but not sustained and with dire consequences - and at a high price. Contrast with the frugal McCann. Perhaps the journalist should concentrate on that one...

Its a marathon not a sprint and in a game to see who the last man standing would be I'd put a bet on Hibs.

--------
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Don't you just love being boring - when it comes to the finances, not the style of football of course! :greengrin

I have a mate who sails dinghies and cutters.

He tells me that when things start getting exciting it usually means they're in deep trouble and about to pile up on the rocks or get run down by a dredger or something....

He much prefers cruising along without alarms or excursions, enjoying the fresh air and the breeze and a calm sea.

I agree with him. :devil:

brythehibby
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Reading that article was brilliant. Mr Lindsay says everything we want to hear, unlike our deluded rivals owner though, all he says are facts.

All those years of moaning about us not being able to afford players wages, fees, selling players on etc have made for what is now probably the steadiest football club in scotland. What a time to be a hibs fan. I must point out that i am realistic, and belive 3rd will be a brilliant achievement should we (hopefully) get there. Anything above that is a massive bonus.

Woody1985
08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Reading that article was brilliant. Mr Lindsay says everything we want to hear, unlike our deluded rivals owner though, all he says are facts.

All those years of moaning about us not being able to afford players wages, fees, selling players on etc have made for what is now probably the steadiest football club in scotland. What a time to be a hibs fan. I must point out that i am realistic, and belive 3rd will be a brilliant achievement should we (hopefully) get there. Anything above that is a massive bonus.

I've said it before on here that I think our development will continue and said it would probably take another 5-10 years to achieve anything like consistent challenges to the OF.

That was last season and this season has come as a big suprise but we are moving in the right direction and hopefully everyone can see that now. We might want to stretch the budget this season depending on how we're sitting come Jan but no too far that would hinder us in future.

A long term plan is not in the interest of a lot of fans for understandable reasons. Hopefully we'll all get it in the next few years or even this season.

Andy74
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I remember the days when supporting the Board in its policies was a bit wierd! worse than that, I used to get serious abuse for it! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I remember the days when supporting the Board in its policies was a bit wierd! worse than that, I used to get serious abuse for it! :greengrin

They made plenty mistakes on the way though :cool2:

SL looks demented if you ask me .. must be working with RP that does it :greengrin

brythehibby
I've said it before on here that I think our development will continue and said it would probably take another 5-10 years to achieve anything like consistent challenges to the OF.

That was last season and this season has come as a big suprise but we are moving in the right direction and hopefully everyone can see that now. We might want to stretch the budget this season depending on how we're sitting come Jan but no too far that would hinder us in future.

A long term plan is not in the interest of a lot of fans for understandable reasons. Hopefully we'll all get it in the next few years or even this season.

Thats exactly what it is. A challenge is keeping up with the OF year after year, not a 1 off where someone splits them then fall away again. We have everything in place to do that, and its taken nearly 10 years to get here. Were not going to mess that up by splashing money we cant afford to spend and quite rightly so. We can all see that the budget year after year has increased.

I think eveyone can see the board have ambition, but things dont happen overnight as they say. The future however is bright..........

Broken Gnome
"If you look at the trend with our wage outlay over the last few years, it's steady, gradually being able to invest more and more.

"That's not easy in the current climate, with broadcast revenue reduced and supporters with less money in their pockets.

"The single biggest thing you can do is produce football that they want to see."

For all that this place was littered with references to 'open top buses parading nice balance sheets' and the likes, there was never really a doubt that Petrie and the board knew that the root of their profitability was directly linked to Hibs actually been an attractive proposition for us. Those players were unavoidable and necessary, now we're reaping the benefits after needing that little bit of patience. As much as he's showing caution there, I'd still be fairly certain that the board realise the opportunity that has presented itself here; there will be money to ensure buying the likes of Barr or Arfield remains a decent possibility.

bighairyfaeleith
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Aye and it was deserved ya sicko perv :greengrin

Andy74
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Aye and it was deserved ya sicko perv :greengrin

Naw, the sick bit was defending Alan O'Brien!:wink:

Cropley10
08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Nicely timed by SL.

Absolutely no need to suggest to anyone that we need to buy anyone (whilst simply reserving the right to do so).

Personally - I'd expect there to be some comings AND goings in January. But in Yogi I trust.

And in case I haven't already said this - we MUST give Ian Murray a contract extension that will allow him to move in to coaching role with us at the end of it.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2009, 02:29 PM

No, cant remember any of that? :confused::wink: I had my moans, and fair do's i was fed up waiting for another transitional period to end, but the club is in a better financial footing, and this season we have progressed. Has it been worth the pain, yes? :thumbsup: As long as we keep progressing.:pray: Yet under Yogi, i really do feel this is the real thing, and we will. :top marks

Hamish
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46877000/jpg/_46877564_scott_lindsay_226b.jpg

Disc O'Dave
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Is it just "chip-on-shoulder" me, or was that article a masterclass in not actually mentioning anywhere that Wee Hibs are actually level with Big Rangers on points, and are actually out-spending der Hun in the transfer windows.

That must take some training at good old beeb.

"The Edinburgh side lie third in the Scottish Premier League, two points adrift of leaders Celtic"

"Celtic and champions Rangers, who lie second, have drawn criticism from their own supporters after shedding more points than is customary and Lindsay is unsurprisingly delighted to be in a position to take advantage"

"League leaders Celtic, managed by former Easter Road favourite Tony Mowbray, are expected to strengthen when the transfer window opens again. But, while Hibs boss John Hughes may want to make an addition or two, he will be dealing on a completely different budgetary plain"

Woody1985
08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
It's actually correct and irrelevant that we're level on points, if the league finished today we'd be 3rd.

matty_f
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM

:top marks Same here. Happy clappers and all that...:greengrin

jdships
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
For all that this place was littered with references to 'open top buses parading nice balance sheets' and the likes, there was never really a doubt that Petrie and the board knew that the root of their profitability was directly linked to Hibs actually been an attractive proposition for us. Those players were unavoidable and necessary, now we're reaping the benefits after needing that little bit of patience. As much as he's showing caution there, I'd still be fairly certain that the board realise the opportunity that has presented itself here; there will be money to ensure buying the likes of Barr or Arfield remains a decent possibility.

Not only do we share "avatar's" we share beliefs :thumbsup:

:top marks:
flag:

greenlex
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
:top marks Same here. Happy clappers and all that...:greengrin
I am sure there were at least 3. :rolleyes:

Monktonhall 7
08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Managed to have a quick chat with Scott L and RP on Sat in the hospitality area. As usual both were very coy about transfer activity in Jan, but SL did say we had sold over 800 half seasons up till Sat, and hopefully with 3 weeks to Xmas, and great performance agaist Well, hopefully more will be on the way. Guaranteed money in the bank, which will boost our average home gate, and hopefully give Yogi some cash if he thinks he needs it.

By the way after watching Barr & Arfield last week, and against the Huns, dont think I'd be rushing in that direction.

euro Hibby
08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
nor would I ( Barr & Arfiled )

ancient hibee
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Nor me-particularly Barr.

hfc rd
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I would take Arfield, as I think he would look good with better players around him. However I wouldn't take Barr as seen by most people on sat against the huns. What a time to be supporting a proper capital football team :greengrin unlike our neighbours who are throwing their toys out of the pram over on Keekback:boo hoo:.

:notworthy:

truehibernian
08-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Demarcus Beasley is looking for first team football to get him fit for WC. Only 27 years old, pacey, and would be ideal on the flanks (or cover for Zouma if he picks up more nigling injuries). Good option for a 6 month loan deal surely :cool2: And a centre half, other than Barr please :agree:

mim
09-12-2009, 12:09 AM
If I may be allowed to state a contrary opinion, I would be delighted if Darren Barr joined us. I think he is a fine player and is holding Falkirk's rather dodgy defence together, as best he can. :wink:

The Harp Awakes
09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Regardless of how this season pans out and where we finish in the league it really is quite remarkable what we've achieved so far given the talent that we've lost in recent years.

I don't think any of us expected this and the Board, Yogi and the players deserve a huge pat on the back.

For me Saturday's performance against Motherwell was one of the best I've witnessed from a Hibs team, and the players should take great confidence into the Killie match at the weekend despite it being a ground where we do not have a good record.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I think if Yogi brought back Brian Kerr, Jarkp Wiss, Ally Scott and Grahame Fyffe, to play alongside Nelly Hutardo. I think he'd turn that lot into league champions.:thumbsup:

Iain G
09-12-2009, 01:51 AM
I am sure there were at least 3. :rolleyes:

Hard to hear me clapping all the way on the other side of the world maybe :wink::greengrin

matty_f
09-12-2009, 06:46 AM
I think if Yogi brought back Brian Kerr, Jarkp Wiss, Ally Scott and Grahame Fyffe, to play alongside Nelly Hutardo. I think he'd turn that lot into league champions.:thumbsup:

FACT.:agree: