PDA

View Full Version : The New Year Derby - Scottish Football Authorities Vandalism

Dashing Bob S
07-12-2009, 01:09 PM
The way this traditionally big fixture has been systematically abused over the years by the authorities is nothing short of tragic, and to my mind says more than just about anything as to how ill-equipped for the job that the people who run our sport are.

Cast your mind back to when the New Year derby was one of the biggest games of the season, and huge box office. Occasional Hibs and Hearts fans and even neutrals would try and get tickets, and for many of us it was the most important day on the calendar, as big as a cup final.

So what do they do? They undermine the match by making it arbitrary as to when it falls. We get one around New Year every few years, like this season. Big deal! This is blamed on the computer that generates the fixture list. I've yet to hear of a computer that can't be programmed to ensure that Hibs-Hearts, Rantic, the Dundee teams or St Johnstone, Dunfermline-Raith etc can meet around New Year. They managed to achieve this a few decades ago without the aid of computers. But the authorities seem to be determined to crush any footballing spectacle in this country that falls outside of the OF sectarian circus.

Personally, I think Hibs and Hearts should advocate tying in the Derby fixture with Edinburgh's Hogmany celebrations, and play this game every year at Murrayfield, each club forfeiting home advantage every other year. I think it would be a great occasion, 15-20k on each side initially going along every 2nd January, and once it was established again, the crowds would steadily rise. It would bring in much-needed revenue, get people used to going to see the Edinburgh clubs in a big game, and give our city a genuinely glamourous annual football fixture.

Jack
07-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Good ideas :agree:

Good points :agree:

Never going to happen :grr: sorry!

MrSmith
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Wholeheartedly agree!

However, this would scare the SFA/SPL morons because this would completely overshadow any OF match particularly if held at Murrayfield!

It would be a carnival atmosphere, flags everywhere, rival football fnas getting on and enjoying the match as well as the backdrop being our beautiful city!!

Antifa Hibs
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Wholeheartedly agree!

However, this would scare the SFA/SPL morons because this would completely overshadow any OF match particularly if held at Murrayfield!

It would be a carnival atmosphere, flags everywhere, rival football fnas getting on and enjoying the match as well as the backdrop being our beautiful city!!

No chance!!!

MrSmith
07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
No chance!!!

How come?

hibbie02
It would be pretty quiet at one end if this happened this new year...... :jamboak:

Killiehibbie
Football at Murrayfield? Lets have Hibs v hearts there in a SC semi if it ever happens, do you think sfa would go for it?

Golden Bear
07-12-2009, 03:25 PM
The New Year Derby has been a big miss - no doubt about it.

Somehow I have a feeling that the costs/availability of Police/stewards will also be a factor.

Phil MaGlass
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Good idea, set prices at a fixed 20 quid a skull and fill the place.

hibsbollah
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
How come?

Antifa tends to glorify football violence in all its forms:agree: A trip to see the beautiful game for him is not complete without one section of a crowd dropping a scooter in flames on the other section:wink:

I totally agree with the OP.

WindyMiller
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Antifa tends to glorify football violence in all its forms:agree: A trip to see the beautiful game for him is not complete without one section of a crowd dropping a vespa in flames on the other section:wink:

I totally agree with the OP.

:faf::faf:

I've edited your post.

down-the-slope
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I noticed in the non-season ticket part of the West Lower North that there were a good number of foriegn visitors who were clutching Hibs shop bags..we could really exploit this in the way that other Ryan Air / Easy Jet airports abroad have were there is active marketing to make it easy for visitors to attend..the OP's suggestion is very interesting and I thing worth floating to the marketing guys at ER

The new ticketing system will very soon allow tickets to be purchased online with the customer printing their own ticket (barcode being the important part) which would make pre-selling to week-end city visitors very straight forward.

bawheid
07-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Football at Murrayfield? Lets have Hibs v hearts there in a SC semi if it ever happens, do you think sfa would go for it?

I think Joe Baker II has an opinion on this. He's stated it once or twice. :greengrin