PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray v. David Murphy

Speedway
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
David Murphy posessed the finest first touch I have seen at ER in decades. He was dangerous going forward and scored some incredible goals. I never really rated him as a defender however.

Ian Murray is a first rate defender, who whilst not a goal scorer, makes plenty of surging runs with the ball, to support the attack.

For me, Murray is the better left back. Who do you prefer?

whereswallace?
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Iv went for Murphy,Murray cant be faulted in anyway,but Murphy just had a touch of class about him,if he had a bit more pace he'd never have been anywhere near Hibs.

WellingtonHibby
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
David Murphy posessed the finest first touch I have seen at ER in decades. He was dangerous going forward and scored some incredible goals. I never really rated him as a defender however.

Ian Murray is a first rate defender, who whilst not a goal scorer, makes plenty of surging runs with the ball, to support the attack.

For me, Murray is the better left back. Who do you prefer?

Incredible goals? Other than his one at hunbrox.. a sclaffed header...,i cant think of many?

RoslinInstHibby
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
tough one, Murray better defensivly and totally commited to the cause, never has a bad game.

Murphy, was better going forward, very classy full back with some great goals.

i can't choose between them.

Storar
Incredible goals? Other than his one at hunbrox.. a sclaffed header...,i cant think of many?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yetRpMJHTo

RoslinInstHibby

a cracker at celtic park springs to mind

'Mon the Hibs
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yetRpMJHTo

Murphy's face at 1.46 :hilarious: :top marks

Did anyone at Hibs even like mikey stewart?

Shaggy
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Voted Murphy as it was his position and was fantastic...
But I rate Murray higher generally, because he can play anywere he is put.
My first name on the team sheet this year,

Perspective
07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
No contest, in my opinion. It's Murphy all the way.

I thought he was good defensively, quick and a really natural footballer - touch, technical ability, vision, delivery. Also never saw him have a bad game.

TheBall'sRound
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I thought he was good defensively, quick and a really natural footballer - touch, technical ability, vision, delivery. Also never saw him have a bad game.

Have to agree - I think Murphy is one of the best all-round technically gifted footballers we've had at ER and he's certainly the best left back I've seen in the 20 odd years I've been going to the games.

I would say, however, that the form Murray is in so far this season puts him at a close second.

Considering he effectively has a centre forward playing in front of him instead of left midfielder who would provide cover, I think Murray has been nothing short of brilliant.

Perspective
07-12-2009, 01:57 PM
As well as Murray's playing I wouldn't even have him ahead of Uli Laursen.

Speedway
07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Lovering's fairing better than I hoped he would in this one.

basehibby
07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I find it hard to choose between them - Murphy's first touch and timing in the tackle were superb - a classy football player who would have been worth about ten times more had he possessed a bit more pace.

Murray is perhaps a more rounded defender - he's happy at centre half which you couldn't really say for Murphy and shows great leadership on the park. Tough in the challenge, good in the air and happy to surge forward when the opportunity arises - a well rounded and experienced performer who only lacks Murphy's exquisite first touch although he's certainly not bad in that respect and compensates in other ways.

Both are excellent options to have at LB and definite first picks for the Hibees - very difficult to choose a winner between them.

_hucks_
07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Murphy's range of passing was absolutely unreal. He could ping a 60 yard crossfielder to absolute perfection, and was the player I was most sad to see leave out of the 'golden generation'. Model professional as well, handled himself terrifically in the run up to and after his transfer away from the club. Nothing against Murray, but Murphy was just absolute class.

JoeT
07-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Has to be Tortolano

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Chris Burke always seemed to cause him a bit of bother.

:confused:

GreenPJ
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Seemingly McLeish is looking at Paul Konchesky for left back. Maybe we could get the Murph back seeing as that is our trait these days.

mim
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Since the poll is about the 'better left back'. Murph is a no-brainer for me.

If the poll had asked 'who would I rather have at ER?', I would have voted for Murray.

IWasThere2016
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Since the poll is about the 'better left back'. Murph is a no-brainer for me.

If the poll had asked 'who would I rather have at ER?', I would have voted for Murray.

:agree: Murph better LB. IM has great versatility

Steve20
07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Murray is a great player for us, but has to be Murphy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Answering in terms of the question asked, the answer has to be Murphy. The best I have seen in that position at Easter Road.

pentlando
07-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Has to be Tortolano

:top marks absolute legend

Andy74
07-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Answering in terms of the question asked, the answer has to be Murphy. The best I have seen in that position at Easter Road.

Yep, by a distance!

Ulrik Laursen after that and the maybe Murray as I can't think of any other half decent left backs we've had.

Bunter
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep, by a distance!

Ulrik Laursen after that and the maybe Murray as I can't think of any other half decent left backs we've had.
True. Erich Schaedler wouldn't be in that category. Head & shoulders above it. :greengrin

Andy74
07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
True. Erich Schaedler wouldn't be in that category. Head & shoulders above it. :greengrin

Erich was a bit before my time!

JimBHibees
07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Chris Burke always seemed to cause him a bit of bother.

:confused:

As did Driver who would move over to the right to expose Murph's lack of pace.

MyJo
07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Murphy...... Murray is good but Murphy was something special IMO, possibly my favourite player of the Mowbray Era :agree:

God Petrie
07-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Murph all the way. Murray has been phenomenal this season but nowhere near as good as Murph. If Murray wasn't a Hibs fan I doubt this would even be a valid argument to be honest.

smurf
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
David Elliot...:greengrin

Murphy by a mile. By far the best left back in my lifetime at ER. As has been said if he had pace he'd be at the very very top level.

Baw187
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I get what most are saying about Murphy. He had a great touch and was a great left back but for passion and all out defending, Murray's serves us better. Our defensive record speaks volumes this year and Murray more than plays his part in that.

I always felt tha anyone with pace gave Murphy a tough time.

500miles
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Murphy. He was a joy to watch, and skilled in a way that Murray could only dream of. Don't get me wrong, Murray is more athletic, and has enough quality, but Murphy was a showman as well as an excellent defender.

thekaratekid
07-12-2009, 06:44 PM

He cut in and scored a peach with his right against Livi @ Easter Rd IIRC

RosComain
07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
alright guys, been lurking for a while, first time i've felt a need to post, murphy, great player as he is, scored 4 times for us in 104 appearances- 3 of them against the old firm. murray scored scored twice in one game against st johnstone at a time when if we had been relegated it would have cost us more than our spl place. murray for me.

HibbyAndy
07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
alright guys, been lurking for a while, first time i've felt a need to post, murphy, great player as he is, scored 4 times for us in 104 appearances- 3 of them against the old firm. murray scored scored twice in one game against st johnstone at a time when if we had been relegated it would have cost us more than our spl place. murray for me.

I remember that game, Hibs won 3-0 in Bobby Williamson's 1st game. Oconnor got the other.

Murphy for me by the way, but im a massive IM fan :agree:

Onceinawhile
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Murphy for me :agree:

he had that je ne sais quoi

Hibs Spain
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM

For me, Murray is the better left back. Who do you prefer?Murray every time. Better in the air,stronger and more determined in the tackle, faster,makes at least as many runs forward,more versatile,more two footed,at least part Hibby....

Speedway
07-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I get what most are saying about Murphy. He had a great touch and was a great left back but for passion and all out defending, Murray's serves us better. Our defensive record speaks volumes this year and Murray more than plays his part in that.

I always felt tha anyone with pace gave Murphy a tough time.

This is really where I am coming from. There's no comparison in an attacking sense but I asked who the better left back was and first and foremost, that's a defensive position.

I never rated Murphy as a particularly outstanding defender, despite all his quality.

millarco
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
This is really where I am coming from. There's no comparison in an attacking sense but I asked who the better left back was and first and foremost, that's a defensive position.

I never rated Murphy as a particularly outstanding defender, despite all his quality.

I never thought he was lacking defensively, and for me rarely came off second best. Can remember one game where Driver gave him a torrid time, but aside from that he more than held his own. He was strong enough in the air, and IMO too much is made of his perceived lack of pace. I was worried after his first couple of games, but once he got a bit of match sharpness he was fine. He also had the strength and reading of the game to compensate.

Murray is having a great season, but for me there is no contest over who is the best LB. Murphy was always an outlet for us and was strong going forward. The best teams have a quality set of full-backs who have a balance between going forward and staying solid at the back. We were spoiled with Murphy and Whittaker; the two of them in the current team would improve it significantly IMO.

McD
07-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, any chance of getting Murph back and moving murray into centre half???

With brum having a bit cash on hip, and murphy not exactly getting a lot of games as it is, whats the odds of a cheeky 200k bid to bring him back?

I think that prospect would have a few of us very excited at the prospect :greengrin

NOLA
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Murphy's face at 1.46 :hilarious: :top marks

Did anyone at Hibs even like mikey stewart?

Quality:top marks he celebrates with the other 2 players but with mikey mikey he just looks at him as if to say 'aye right':greengrin

Phil MaGlass
08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I put, cant choose between them, although now I will give it to Murray,when you add in dedicated Hibs fan,always gives 100%,loves to wind up the jambos and in my book that wee bit extra will clinch it for me.