PDA

View Full Version : Is Benji Overated...?

Dinkydoo
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I know that Benji hasn't featured within the last two games but do we the fans rate him higher than he actually is?

You hear quite frequently how he has tremendous talent and I don't entirely disagree, the guy has got talent, we just don't see it all that often.

Nish turned in one of his best performances in a Hibs shirt at the weekend and played well last week as well. Now we know that he isn't the most talented of players but with Nishy, you know he'll give it his all, time and time again. Something that lets face it, we can't expect to get from Benji every week.

Did Benji have his only really, superb game two/three years ago in the CIS Cup final......?

Can anyone see him turning in a similar performance in the future?

What is your opinion, vote.

The_Sauz
07-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I think Benji is the most talented forward we have at the club....... but lacks the mentality to use it on a weekly bases unless he is playing along side Zee.
Looking at the highlights from Saturdays game, it was clear to me that Zee & Stokes don't like to pass to each other in & around the box when chances came about, where's if it had be Zee & Benji then I think we would have scored more goals from the same situations.......but that's only my opinion :agree:

TheBall'sRound
07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I put "None of the above"

Simply put, Benji plays well when Zemmama plays well.

Otherwise it's very hit or miss and he often doesn't look very interested.

Perspective
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Is there any evidence that he lacks the application this season?

I think he's looks as motivated as he did under JC. He's been tracking back giving away fouls on the edge of his own box so I can't see where these lazy comments come from.

Benji has always been the same for me. A lot happened off the pitch to a young boy in a far off country. Allowances should have been made to an extent for him and many on here wouldn't afford him that. In addition, he wasn't the only player whose career went off the rails under Mixu.

He's a terrific talent and I think it's a shame we'll lose him on a free at the end of the season.

basehibby
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Benji is not over-rated by the fans IMO but has perhaps been guilty of overblowing his own trumpet in the past (going to play for Real Madrid etc...).

He's a very skillfull player and a great option to have at our disposal up front. He likes the ball in to feet and has been guilty of spitting the dummy in the past when this has not happened - that said, his attitude and workrate seem to have come on leaps and bounds under Hughes.

I think the Hibs fans know what to expect from Benji and hence he is neither over or under-rated. Don't know how long he'll end up staying at ER but I'm just glad that Hughes seems to be getting the best out of him in terms of application which has lead to him earning his chances in the 1st team. :thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
i think he is over rated, he doesnt get involved in games enough and i dont think he plays to his full potential

Captain Trips
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Its a strange one, its said that he is one of the most talented players we have, that may be so but the facts are its been in flashes therefore making him not so talented.

I would have to say that apart from a few games he has pretty much not done as well as hoped.

Dashing Bob S
07-12-2009, 02:21 PM

I think he's looks as motivated as he did under JC. He's been tracking back giving away fouls on the edge of his own box so I can't see where these lazy comments come from.

Benji has always been the same for me. A lot happened off the pitch to a young boy in a far off country. Allowances should have been made to an extent for him and many on here wouldn't afford him that. In addition, he wasn't the only player whose career went off the rails under Mixu.

He's a terrific talent and I think it's a shame we'll lose him on a free at the end of the season.

I concur. Let's get that contract extended.

Hibby_Paul
07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Not a big fan tbh.

He has had a number of chances this season and hasnt really impressed me much. If anything I think he has gone backwards since the highs of the CIS cup final.

Also one of most frustrating players for me when he seems to drift out of games and not know what to do. Agree he is better when Zemma is featured though.

Out of our 4 forwards - Benji is last for me.

Andy74
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Yep, the application line is just lazy, when he's played he's worked hard in an area of the pitch a lot further back than he's really used to.

It hasn't quite happened for him yet but once or twice he's dropped the shoulder like back in the day but the shot hasn't quite come off.

I'm sure he will play his share of games. Nish for example has come good for a spell but was also woeful in others so Benji will get chances to play.

MyJo
07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
It looked promising at the start of the season when he came back and he has said all the right things but the Benji i've seen so far is a shadow of his 2007 self.

He had all the talent in the world and could easily have been the most talented striker in the SPL had he knuckled down and developed himself at hibs but all his personal problems and 2 years in the wilderness seem to have stunted him.

I don't think Hibs will stand in his way if he can find himself a new club in January.

Just Jimmy
07-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Benji - Hibernian's Dietmatar Berbatov?

jacomo
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm surprised he's still here, given how publicly he and Yogi fell out during the summer. That he is shows maturity from both sides.

I really like him as a player. But I just don't know if Benji will ever thrive at Hibs. He had a great season in 06/07 but it seems he'd rather be somewhere else, given the choice. He's undoubtedly a complex character, and I'm still not sure that our best team would have both Riordan and him in it.

Regrettably, it might be best if he moved on and someone else (Byrne maybe?) was offered more opportunities.

jacomo
07-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Benji - Hibernian's Dietmatar Berbatov?

If only!

ian cruise
08-12-2009, 02:24 AM
i think he's a great talent, in the past hasnt looked interested but i dont think you can accuse him of that this season, howerver i didnt think playing as deep as he was earlier in the season suits his style.

i'd like to see his contract extended and then we can see what he can do when playing for a proper manager in a team that plays attacking football

RMG_82
08-12-2009, 05:01 AM
I know that Benji hasn't featured within the last two games but do we the fans rate him higher than he actually is?

You hear quite frequently how he has tremendous talent and I don't entirely disagree, the guy has got talent, we just don't see it all that often.

Nish turned in one of his best performances in a Hibs shirt at the weekend and played well last week as well. Now we know that he isn't the most talented of players but with Nishy, you know he'll give it his all, time and time again. Something that lets face it, we can't expect to get from Benji every week.

Did Benji have his only really, superb game two/three years ago in the CIS Cup final......?

Can anyone see him turning in a similar performance in the future?

What is your opinion, vote.

Benji bad attitude. All the talent in the world but only seems interested now and again. Not what we expect from a hibs player. Still hold a soft spot for him for his CIS final display but i dont think he'l be at hibs in 12 months. :bye:

Andy74
08-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Benji bad attitude. All the talent in the world but only seems interested now and again. Not what we expect from a hibs player. Still hold a soft spot for him for his CIS final display but i dont think he'l be at hibs in 12 months. :bye:

Ah, the old bad attitude line. The evidence for that is what exactly?? Seems a bit lazy to be falling back on the old slag off the attitude regime just because the guy isn't on top form. It's pathetic really. They guy has told us quite clearly the prolems he's had on and off the field yet many Hibs fans can't wait to get stuck into him based on nothing really.

Captain Trips
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
The point is, he is supposed to be a great talent, this is based on? Some very good games unfortunatley there have been as many if not more poor ones, Hibs are better served with a player whom is more consistant.

He was no world beater when on form though he was ok, IMO we might be better cutting the loses.

Bad Martini
08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Ah, the old bad attitude line. The evidence for that is what exactly?? Seems a bit lazy to be falling back on the old slag off the attitude regime just because the guy isn't on top form. It's pathetic really. They guy has told us quite clearly the prolems he's had on and off the field yet many Hibs fans can't wait to get stuck into him based on nothing really.

Taking huffs in front of 10,000+ folk who can all see it apart from you isn't enough evidence?

He COULD be one of the best players we've had in a long time. He WONT be though as he believes too much of his own (generated) press and he takes too many silly childish huffs. If he stopped both, and rattled some goals in like we KNOW he can, he'd be cut more slack.

Right now he's not doing/done both as much as we know he could...and at times looks disinterested.

If one can look disinterested BUT still do one's job, one might get away with it. If one looks disinterested, doesnt necessarily peak regularly and talks ***** about Real Madrid and such like, one will get NO slack.

Again, its a case of put up or shut up with the wee guy. We're paying his wages...of COURSE we all want him to do well...if he cant, well see ye later wee man :bye:

ENDOF

Dinkydoo
08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Totally disagree with you there.

Benji's attitude has improved since he's came back but lets not forget about him attempting to whore himself out to any club that looked slightly interested over the past 2 years. This didn't stop when Hughes came in, picture of him putting pen to paper ring any bells for that Egyptian team.

We're not getting stuck into him, only commenting on his recent form and the fans opinion of Benji. I thought that Benji was playing well since he returned but the last couple of times he's featured I've felt that his performances didn't justify a starting place.

--------
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
He has a massive talent, IMO.

I think talking about his 'attitude' and 'application' isn't fair - from what I've seen of him he's working harder than he ever has in his time with us.

He plays best when Zouma's in the team. I think he also plays besy when he plays as an outright striker. He may also be one of those players who're taking longer to adapt to the new regime.

Like DBS, I'd like to see his contract being extended, but I'm not holding my breath.