PDA

View Full Version : The biggest games in Hibs' history

Hibernian Verse
06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, what have they been since the 1950s?

European nights, big cup games, big friendly clashes, defining league games (the good and the bad) etc etc

What stands out for you whatever age you are whether you're 10 or 100, what were your biggest games and why?

Would like a big response to this if possible, I'm trying to get more of an idea of Hibs' history for a dissertation and obviously my brain only stretches back 10 years or so!

hibsfan7
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
:pray:THE 3 GAMES IN THE EUROPEAN CUP
SPORTING ,NAPOLI BOTH THE LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL GAMES
WINNING THE LEAGUE CUPS
15 OF MAY NEXT YEAR

Hibernian Verse
06-12-2009, 10:13 PM
:pray:THE 3 GAMES IN THE EUROPEAN CUP
SPORTING ,NAPOLI BOTH THE LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL GAMES
WINNING THE LEAGUE CUPS
15 OF MAY NEXT YEAR

Got years on the European games you mentioned? Presume 75 for Liverpool.

thebakerboy
06-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Biggest game without doubt was beating Barcelona in the Fairs cup in 1961 at ER and the Barca players rioted (only word for it) when we were awarded a penalty . Game held up for about 15 mins and Bobby Kinloch slotted pen to win game 3 2(away game was 4 4 I think). Was recently in the museum at the Camp Nou and there is no mention of their European matches in this year , which says a lot. Also at Hibs 2 Real Madrid 0 around same period in a friendly. Hibs 5 Napoli (Dino Zoff in goal)0 . In Scotland too many hard times to mention.

Minder
06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
"15 OF MAY NEXT YEAR"

:rules:

:flag:

Hainan Hibs
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
You could say the Skol Cup win against Dunfermline was a big one after the years before it and what it represented.

GC
07-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Any trophy winning game.

so really only 91 and 2007 that I can remember.

Athens was so close to being up there aswell.

houstonhibbee
07-12-2009, 03:45 AM
As far as my supporting days are concerned which goes back to 1968, for me it had to be the Cup Winners Cup QF second leg of 1973/ 74 season against that "iron curtain" team Hadjuk Split. After winning the first leg 4-2, there was almost no media coverage of the return - I think it was on the radio, apparently food was terrible, Shades got himself sent off and we crumbled to a 3-0 defeat and crashed out of the tournament. I think we could have gone on and won it that year - and as I recall this was the turning point for Ned - after that defeat he felt he needed to improve the team and that's when Harper was brought in. The rest of course is history.:grr:

vahibbie
07-12-2009, 03:48 AM
League Cup win in 1972. First time we won anything since the Famous Five years.
Got to mention the 0-7 win shortly after that. Biggest win against the "Big Team" and took us top of the league.

FRes Hibbie
07-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Obviously people don't like to talk about it but the Hearts SC semi a couple of years back was absolutely massive. We all know how a variety of circumstances led to us getting gubbed but it was still a huge game - bigger than any league cup final imo.

MGmick
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Obviously people don't like to talk about it but the Hearts SC semi a couple of years back was absolutely massive. We all know how a variety of circumstances led to us getting gubbed but it was still a huge game - bigger than any league cup final imo.

:hmmm: Sniff sniff

PeeJay
07-12-2009, 07:48 AM
It’s already been mentioned and I think for me it has to be the best and most memorable game I ever attended. Beaten 4-1 in the away leg in Naples of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (2nd round), we then crushed them 5-0 (Duncan, Stein, Cormack, Quinn and Stanton – not sure anymore about the order) in the return leg at Easter Road – Bobby Duncan’s opening goal one I’ll never ever forget. Wednesday, 29 November, 1967. Bob Shankly was right up for the game in his notes in the programme (6d only!), but I was mighty surprised that we could beat foreign opposition so comprehensively, although we’d beaten Porto 3-0 that year already.

I'm pretty sure the mighty Greenock Morton came to ER on the following Saturday and beat us 1-0 ... the ups and downs, highs and lows of being a Hibs fan, I guess.

1two
07-12-2009, 08:11 AM

:jamboid:

Twa Cairpets
07-12-2009, 09:11 AM
in terms of long term impct, the 2-2 draw with Hearts the year we got relegated (97-98 season).

2-0 down, looking doomed, we scored twice though Pat McGinlay and Andy "Fud" Walker. The result almost certainly kept Jim Duffy in a job - the general feeling was had we lost, he would have been out on his ear. By the time he did go, it was too late, and we were down. in terms of retrospective importance, I think it was pivotal in our modern history.

Out of interest, the Hibs team that day was:
Hibernian: Reid, W. Miller, Boco (Rougier 86), Dods, Dennis, Dow, Harper, Jackson, Crawford, Walker (K. Miller 74), McGinlay.

Not too shabby a team actually, shows how bad Duffy must have been!

lapsedhibee
07-12-2009, 09:58 AM
It’s already been mentioned and I think for me it has to be the best and most memorable game I ever attended. Beaten 4-1 in the away leg in Naples of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (2nd round), we then crushed them 5-0 (Duncan, Stein, Cormack, Quinn and Stanton – not sure anymore about the order) in the return leg at Easter Road – Bobby Duncan’s opening goal one I’ll never ever forget. Wednesday, 29 November, 1967. Bob Shankly was right up for the game in his notes in the programme (6d only!), but I was mighty surprised that we could beat foreign opposition so comprehensively, although we’d beaten Porto 3-0 that year already

Yep, far bigger event imo than any match against relegation-haunted Hertz. Bobby Duncan scored from behind his own goal line. :agree:

Real Madrid match in '65 was also a memorable floodlit night.

JCHibby
07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
The next three or four games could turn out to be the biggest games so far... Heres hoping!!:notworthy::notworthy:

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2009, 10:13 AM
It’s already been mentioned and I think for me it has to be the best and most memorable game I ever attended. Beaten 4-1 in the away leg in Naples of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (2nd round), we then crushed them 5-0 (Duncan, Stein, Cormack, Quinn and Stanton – not sure anymore about the order) in the return leg at Easter Road – Bobby Duncan’s opening goal one I’ll never ever forget. Wednesday, 29 November, 1967. Bob Shankly was right up for the game in his notes in the programme (6d only!), but I was mighty surprised that we could beat foreign opposition so comprehensively, although we’d beaten Porto 3-0 that year already.

I'm pretty sure the mighty Greenock Morton came to ER on the following Saturday and beat us 1-0 ... the ups and downs, highs and lows of being a Hibs fan, I guess.

That was my first European tie. I was in the old north enclosure with my dad. And the Bobby Duncan goal is the only one i seem to remember. I'm sure he picked the ball up in front of us in his own half, and just ran and ran, then hit it right in the top corner, one of the best goals i have ever seen hibs score.:top marks

Hainan Hibs
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
obviously people don't like to talk about it but the hearts sc semi a couple of years back was absolutely massive. We all know how a variety of circumstances led to us getting gubbed but it was still a huge game - bigger than any league cup final imo.

ltyf

FRes Hibbie
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
:hmmm: Sniff sniff

:jamboid:

ltyf

:faf:

Frazerbob
07-12-2009, 12:38 PM

I agree mate. That was essentially the cup final with Gretna waiting on the winner. Was absolutely gutted that day, the closest I've come to chucking football all together.

Hibernian Verse
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback, anyone else?

pentlando
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
For me it was the Athens game at Easter Road, having lost 2-0 and been fairly outclassed i was fearing the worst...but the atmosphere at that game was something special. To think we were half a yard away from going thru when luna lunged in at the end :boo hoo:

and Zitelli's goal in extra time :top marks

millarco
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Agreed. Can't believe people would be calling you a Yam for what you've said, but that game was massive. Nothing went right for us, between suspensions, injuries and Malkowski. Would have been a massive result for us with Gretna waiting in the final. Was gutted for a good while after that.

PerthHibby
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I flew back from oz for that game, probably cost the best part of 3 grand for me and the laddie, but we had to be there.
Couldn't believe the empty seats, I left Hibby's back in oz that would have given a back tooth to have been there. It was a massive game, certainly the biggest game for me in my years of watching the Hibs.

Big Frank
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Agreed. Can't believe people would be calling you a Yam for what you've said, but that game was massive. Nothing went right for us, between suspensions, injuries and Malkowski. Would have been a massive result for us with Gretna waiting in the final. Was gutted for a good while after that.

With the team decimated, anyone thinking we were going to win that game was crazy. Full team? we could have pumped them, like we did the next time we played them.

Hertz are *****.

I'd say going up to Pittodrie the season after wallet.

Beach road end packed with Hibbies. We went down (iirc 2-0).

But Hibernian was there.

O'Rourke3
08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
73/74 Season vs Celtic at ER, we lost 2-4 and Celtic went on again to wrap up the league - we finished unbeaten but lost the championship by that defeat. Didn't realise it was the closest I'd ever come to a League win. Have to say it was a great game and a great team were beaten by a better one towards the end of their nine in a row. They'd been there before (like the Cup final 2 years before).

I enjoyed all the european nights but that game is my one big regret as a Hibby.