PDA

View Full Version : Rangers not that weak

Dr What If?
06-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Listen to the media, read these messageboards and there is a clear message - The OF are there to be taken, they are weak, poor teams, poor squads.
Outside of playing for Ragers, these players all have one thing in common Kirk Broadfoot
Maurice Edu
Steven Naismith
Pedro Medez
Neil Alexander
Steven Smith
Danny Wilson
None of them played against Falkirk. They were either unused subs or didn't even make the bench. How many clubs outside of the OF would any of that walk into? Pretty much every starting XI I would guess. I'm not trying to be negative, just a quick reality check as to what we are up against if we are hoping to challange the uglies.

The_Todd
06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Of course this is before their January jumble sale.

Bishop Hibee
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Listen to the media, read these messageboards and there is a clear message - The OF are there to be taken, they are weak, poor teams, poor squads.
Outside of playing for Ragers, these players all have one thing in common Kirk Broadfoot
Maurice Edu
Steven Naismith
Pedro Medez
Neil Alexander
Steven Smith
Danny Wilson
None of them played against Falkirk. They were either unused subs or didn't even make the bench. How many clubs outside of the OF would any of that walk into? Pretty much every starting XI I would guess. I'm not trying to be negative, just a quick reality check as to what we are up against if we are hoping to challange the uglies.

Alexander, Smith and Wilson wouldn't get into the Hibs XI. There will be a few first team players away and possibly even the Manager in the transfer window.

Rantic are still strong favorites to finish first and second but it will be closer this season.

Franck is God
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
the media like to make excuses for both sides of the Old Firm when they tumble out of Europe to lower end opposition. For one they're not allowed to criticise Sir Walter....

Look at the side that lost 4-1 at home to Unirea.

McGregor, Weir, Papac, Whittaker, Mendes, McCulloch, Davis, Thomson, Rothen, Naismith & Miller. Subs used Lafferty & Novo.

McGregor cam through their system and I'm not sure how much they paid for Weir & Papac but I make it that the rest of their players cost best part of £18m to assemble, a bit premature to shout about their levels of poverty!

For too long both sides of the Old Firm have simply needed to flex the cheque book a bit more than the other and that is good enough to win the league and dominate Scottish football. Now they are going to have to cut their cloth to suit their income, it will still mean an advantage over the rest but it won't be as big a gap anymore and they might have to start relying on good old fashioned coaching and organisation like the rest of us...

Kevvy1875
06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Good thread.

This is how I am feeling about the present situation too. Loving how well we are doing and am confident the present Hardcore of 15-17 players can do the buisness right up until the end of the season.(below)

However....when these guys miss games from suspensions/injurys then may may start to drop points. The OF have proven players to cover for excactly that.

Starting XIs we have nowt to fear tho':top marks

Stack/Maka
Wotherspoon
Murray
Hanlon
Stevenson
Hogg
Bamba
McBride
Miller
Rankin/Cregg
Zoomer
Deeks
Stokes
Nish/Benji

PeterboroHibee
06-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Arent Mendes and Edu injured? I imagine Mendes at least would play if fully fit.

With Alexander you can only have 1 keeper on, and while I think Alexander is a much better keeper than McGregor, Smith clearly doesnt agree.

Wilsons also very young, would you choose him over Bougherra? I wouldnt.

I get the point though, but we need a few players brought in during the transfer window so we can strengthen.