PDA

View Full Version : think of the possibilities....

hibee-shtuggie
06-12-2009, 07:15 PM
looking at the league, it looks like there is now a "big four" in scotland consisting of us, the OF and dundee united. hate to tempt fate, but we seriously should have a european place next season. this opens up a plethora of new signing prospects for a club. the draw of european football is huge for a player and we could be able to make some huge signings next summer if money is made available. who would you like to sign? we would need a strong squad to make a go of it in europe, and also maintain a high position in the league. this is as doing it one year is not enough, to really start moving up we would need to have european football a couple of years running at least, europe is where the real money is to be made.

Woody1985
06-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I think it's premature to call us the 'big four' given that we'd need to show some consistency of a few years to merit that.

I would hope for European football next season given the start we've made. The teams nearer the top are starting to gain some decent consistency and will only get stronger IMO. I think it depends on who falls away first between us and DU to determine who finishes 3rd.

After yesterday, I can't really see Well closing the gap.

Hibbyradge
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
we could be able to make some huge signings next summer if money is made available. .

Very true.

So could Hearts. :wink:

Seriously, yesterday was the first time I thought Hibs showed signs of being the "real deal".

We could easily blow it all next week at Killie. Every likeliehood, in fact, in my experience of following Hibs.

Let's wait till March before getting our panties wet about Europe and HUGE signings.

Please.

The_Todd
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
No such thing as a "Big Four", and we ain't in it.

Bayern Bru
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Nade, now there's a potentially huge signing...

:rolleyes:

weecounty hibby
06-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I can remember back in the eighties that there was supposed to be a big five. They were, at the time, OF plus D Utd, Aberdeen, and Hearts. I remember this was always the talk in the press and these clubs also began talking themselves up big time with some really up themselves attitudes. D Utd are still doing ok, Aberdeen have slipped a bit. Whatever happened to that other big team.

Dr What If?
06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
There are still 24 games to go yet and I've been a Hibby too long now to buy into the 'new dawn' chat that is coming from some quarters. Having said that, we have as strong a first XI as anyone in the SPL and as strong a squad and anyone outside of the OF so I am more confident than in years passed.
Who we bring in depends heavily on the money available, I think it is clear we have cash in the bank but that cash may be ear-marked for other things - low crowds, fall in TV revenue, high wages, fixed assets, etc.
Outside of Aberdeen last season, Europe has not exactly been a goldmine for Scottish clubs and one qualifier will not prove too great a pull for quality footballers so I'm not holding out for too much.

thebakerboy
06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes lets think of the possibilities
Dundee Utd beat Rangers next week to go second
Levein moves to manage Scotland
Shabby takes over at Utd and carries on Leveins work and wins title
Yams bring back Burley and go on unbeaten run to end up 13pts ahead of us in 2nd place
We split the OF only to be 4th

YES LETS NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES JUST ENJOY THE MOMENT
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ancient hibee
06-12-2009, 07:40 PM
looking at the league, it looks like there is now a "big four" in scotland consisting of us, the OF and dundee united. hate to tempt fate, but we seriously should have a european place next season. this opens up a plethora of new signing prospects for a club. the draw of european football is huge for a player and we could be able to make some huge signings next summer if money is made available. who would you like to sign? we would need a strong squad to make a go of it in europe, and also maintain a high position in the league. this is as doing it one year is not enough, to really start moving up we would need to have european football a couple of years running at least, europe is where the real money is to be made.
Calm down:greengrindon't think the preliminary round 1 of the Europa Leage is quite the player magnet you think.