PDA

View Full Version : Were we really that good today?

Wembley67
06-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Ok, I have had a few and can't really read all these threads but I'm getting the jist that we are were pretty sexy today...can anyone summarise so I can read it later once I come too?

I love you guys :hnet:

Big90inOz
06-12-2009, 05:02 AM
We were very good today right up to he penalty box, still can't figure out how we never scored more in the 2nd half.

Maka came for every cross that he could be expected to come for and never gave me a worry throughout the whole game.

Bamba must have had several pockets in his shorts as he put every Motherwell player who came near him into them

Wotherspoon, what a player this guy is going to be. The skill when he flicked a lost cause with his back foot to run past the defender was magic. If the cameras had been there he would be on "show boat" again

Miller, ran the show in the middle, Tackled everything that moved and rarely gave the ball away.

Zouma tied them in knots, needs to make the pass a bit more. Mind you once you have beat 3 men he has to fancy himself to beat the fourth.

Stokes looks like he may be getting his confidence back

Nish, what can I say..... best display from the big man in a green shirt.

As for the rest, they just played very well :devil:

I would say there has been a steady improvement since the first few games of the season, the team is now playing and working as a team :agree:

Greenway
06-12-2009, 05:27 AM
We did play well, and most players ran their socks off.

Riordan, Millar and Wotherspoon were stand-outs for me. Maka was also solid and Zemmama was doing his stuff. Stokes was better than he has been, but not on fire, and we should have converted more of the chances that we created. Leaving Benji out for another more midfield minded player certainly helped us.

All things considered, a quality football performance.

I should add that our tactics seemed to suit us well and nullified Motherwell. I suspect they were not at their very best and I would definitely hold back from getting too carried away.

Just nice to watch a game that we were seldom in any danger of losing.

euro Hibby
06-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Taken from the steelmens forum :

Today was like watching really good, talented 5-a-side footballers who consider themselves to be pretty good at the game, coming up against an actual football team and realising that when it comes to the real thing they haven't got a clue what they are doing.

General view from the oppositions fans was that Hibs were good but were even better last time we beat them 3-1 away. Motherwell apparently play from the back and Yogi and Chipper had the team set ready not to allow this hence the pressing from the front.

Others were pissed at the ref.

Last note the Gannon media row goes back a few weeks and was nonthing to do with the Hibs game.

I thought Hibs were very good today but we still have a gear to go !!

shamo9
06-12-2009, 05:55 AM
I suppose the main thing people will take out of today is the incredible work ethic, maturity and doggedness on show from the whole team.

Makalamby has, as we all should know, the basic ingredients needed to become a top goalkeeper (big, strong, agile). This has never been in question. The only problem people have with him - I hope - is the occasional lapse in concentration that earned him the 'kalamity' jibe. Well today he was no-nonsense, using his height to his advantage he greeted every cross into the box with a big - and confident - right hook that saw it either out of touch or approaching the half way line. He also produced a couple of his typical reflex saves for good measure.

This set the tone for the whole team as we constantly pressed, harried and stretched Motherwell without resorting to the 'Aberdeen style' challenges.

Bamba and Hogg let nothing past them, driving the team forward on a few occasions. Special mention should go to Hogg who showed again that just because he's not the biggest doesn't mean he'll get out muscled.

Wotherspoon and Murray both drove forward and linked up well with their midfield counterparts (Zemmama and Riordan). Wotherspoon also found the time to produce another bit of skill that will probably be on Soccer AM where everyone in the ground thought it was going out for a throw, only for him to twist round the Motherwell player. If there's one accolade I could add to the growing number it would be that he's brave. He didn't always beat his man today but he was always willing to gamble and whenever he messed up it only made him try harder. Oh, and Murray was just... Ian Murray. The type of performance we now take for granted.

Miller ran the show. He's the player we've been crying out for; one of the main reasons why we're doing so well compared to last season. Before we played as individuals, movement non existent and a woeful lack of options for the man in possession. This resulted in the constant panicking and last ditch desperation we saw time and time again with the: HOOF! Now we have a player who's always there to support guys under pressure, always looking for the ball and never afraid to try something. With him in the team he makes sure that we're never overrun in midfield despite always being outnumbered but just working so hard for the team, pressing and supporting. He's a terrific example to the rest; a technical gifted player who's also willing to do the dirty side of the job. No wonder Riordan and others have taken note.

Rankin might not be the greatest player but I'm sure that most people forgot about the absence of McBride which is testament in itself. I'd like him to show a little more belief in himself. There was a point in the game where he linked up well and then made the goalie produce arguable the save of the match. Yet only a couple of minutes latter he tried a hit and hope from 50 yards. He's better than that.

Riordan continued the great form he's been showing lately. Some great pressing, a lovely little chip that almost fooled the goalie. What more can you say about him? If he had pace he'd be playing at the very top level. He has everything else you'd want in a 'special' player. I really liked his assist for Stokes in the first half, it was very reminiscent of the old O'Connor/ Riordan partnership, he seemed to know exactly where Stokes would be and Stoke, for his part, anticipated it well. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Zemmama was the mercurial playmaker you expect him to be. It always seems to take him a little while to find his way after an injury but he seems to be getting back in the grove. The one criticism you could throw at him is that he has a habit of being a greedy git, but that's a double edged sword in itself. While he really should have passed it at times we're all aware that he can do something special and make things happen. It helps that he always has the opposition running scared and would've scored a great individual goal today if not for a slack finish. Credit to him as well for not forgetting to cover Wotherspoon, although we all know that'll never be a great part of his game. A player of his quality should be on the ball and causing problems, his silky skills almost got him into trouble when he was playing deep for the ball. Time and a place.

Nish. Definitely the one that caught the eye. He looks completely revitalised playing in a deeper role in front of the midfield. Now the rest of the team don't have the temptation of hoofing it up to his head, letting him actually play to his capabilities. It also circumvents the problem of him constantly getting caught offside. He might not be as technically gifted as the others, but he was a real nuisance. His role was crucial when you consider that Motherwell as a team like to pass the ball from the back. This just wasn't possible today as Nish constantly managed to to cut off supply to midfield, isolating the defence with the ball. This resulted in them going for the occasional high ball which Bamba and Hogg mopped up all day. The very definition of defending from the front.

And last but not least: Anthony Stokes. One thing I noticed today was how similar he is to O'Connor. He comes alive when the ball is played in front of him and he can come in from the wing. I remember his eyes lightening up when he found himself pushed to the right at the edge of the box and just firing in a very O'Connor-esque shot (last minute winner against Hearts anyone?) that nearly caught the goalie out at his near post. What he doesn't want is having his back to goal and having to hold up the ball, much like O'Connor during Williamson's last season where he grew increasingly ineffectual. This leads to him growing bored and frustrated, encouraging the erratic touch which in turn makes him go on a little journey to try and recover the ball which then leaves him like a fish out of water when he finds himself deep in midfield when his only desire is to push forward. At least now he's beginning to adjust. Let's hope he'll gain some confidence and sharpness back (people seem to forget that he's only 21 and was in footballing wilderness for a couple of years, much like Riordan who took a while to get going). He's the type of player that lives of goals, and he'll score them. There's no doubt about that.

So all in all a great performance against one of the better teams in the league (although it's no coincidence that we play better against teams who actually try to play football themselves, rather than just trying to stop us playing). That being said we did play poorly against St Johnstone twice although that might just be because it was still early into the season and we were still trying to find our way - or at least Miller was.

Probably the first time this season that we've managed to maintain such a high level of performance for 90 minutes (Dundee United game case in point). Hopefully we can now push on:wink:

Dashing Bob S
06-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I suppose the main thing people will take out of today is the incredible work ethic, maturity and doggedness on show from the whole team.

Makalamby has, as we all should know, the basic ingredients needed to become a top goalkeeper (big, strong, agile). This has never been in question. The only problem people have with him - I hope - is the occasional lapse in concentration that earned him the 'kalamity' jibe. Well today he was no-nonsense, using his height to his advantage he greeted every cross into the box with a big - and confident - right hook that saw it either out of touch or approaching the half way line. He also produced a couple of his typical reflex saves for good measure.

This set the tone for the whole team as we constantly pressed, harried and stretched Motherwell without resorting to the 'Aberdeen style' challenges.

Bamba and Hogg let nothing past them, driving the team forward on a few occasions. Special mention should go to Hogg who showed again that just because he's not the biggest doesn't mean he'll get out muscled.

Wotherspoon and Murray both drove forward and linked up well with their midfield counterparts (Zemmama and Riordan). Wotherspoon also found the time to produce another bit of skill that will probably be on Soccer AM where everyone in the ground thought it was going out for a throw, only for him to twist round the Motherwell player. If there's one accolade I could add to the growing number it would be that he's brave. He didn't always beat his man today but he was always willing to gamble and whenever he messed up it only made him try harder. Oh, and Murray was just... Ian Murray. The type of performance we now take for granted.

Miller ran the show. He's the player we've been crying out for; one of the main reasons why we're doing so well compared to last season. Before we played as individuals, movement non existent and a woeful lack of options for the man in possession. This resulted in the constant panicking and last ditch desperation we saw time and time again with the: HOOF! Now we have a player who's always there to support guys under pressure, always looking for the ball and never afraid to try something. With him in the team he makes sure that we're never overrun in midfield despite always being outnumbered but just working so hard for the team, pressing and supporting. He's a terrific example to the rest; a technical gifted player who's also willing to do the dirty side of the job. No wonder Riordan and others have taken note.

Rankin might not be the greatest player but I'm sure that most people forgot about the absence of McBride which is testament in itself. I'd like him to show a little more belief in himself. There was a point in the game where he linked up well and then made the goalie produce arguable the save of the match. Yet only a couple of minutes latter he tried a hit and hope from 50 yards. He's better than that.

Riordan continued the great form he's been showing lately. Some great pressing, a lovely little chip that almost fooled the goalie. What more can you say about him? If he had pace he'd be playing at the very top level. He has everything else you'd want in a 'special' player. I really liked his assist for Stokes in the first half, it was very reminiscent of the old O'Connor/ Riordan partnership, he seemed to know exactly where Stokes would be and Stoke, for his part, anticipated it well. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Zemmama was the mercurial playmaker you expect him to be. It always seems to take him a little while to find his way after an injury but he seems to be getting back in the grove. The one criticism you could throw at him is that he has a habit of being a greedy git, but that's a double edged sword in itself. While he really should have passed it at times we're all aware that he can do something special and make things happen. It helps that he always has the opposition running scared and would've scored a great individual goal today if not for a slack finish. Credit to him as well for not forgetting to cover Wotherspoon, although we all know that'll never be a great part of his game. A player of his quality should be on the ball and causing problems, his silky skills almost got him into trouble when he was playing deep for the ball. Time and a place.

Nish. Definitely the one that caught the eye. He looks completely revitalised playing in a deeper role in front of the midfield. Now the rest of the team don't have the temptation of hoofing it up to his head, letting him actually play to his capabilities. It also circumvents the problem of him constantly getting caught offside. He might not be as technically gifted as the others, but he was a real nuisance. His role was crucial when you consider that Motherwell as a team like to pass the ball from the back. This just wasn't possible today as Nish constantly managed to to cut off supply to midfield, isolating the defence with the ball. This resulted in them going for the occasional high ball which Bamba and Hogg mopped up all day. The very definition of defending from the front.

And last but not least: Anthony Stokes. One thing I noticed today was how similar he is to O'Connor. He comes alive when the ball is played in front of him and he can come in from the wing. I remember his eyes lightening up when he found himself pushed to the right at the edge of the box and just firing in a very O'Connor-esque shot (last minute winner against Hearts anyone?) that nearly caught the goalie out at his near post. What he doesn't want is having his back to goal and having to hold up the ball, much like O'Connor during Williamson's last season where he grew increasingly ineffectual. This leads to him growing bored and frustrated, encouraging the erratic touch which in turn makes him go on a little journey to try and recover the ball which then leaves him like a fish out of water when he finds himself deep in midfield when his only desire is to push forward. At least now he's beginning to adjust. Let's hope he'll gain some confidence and sharpness back (people seem to forget that he's only 21 and was in footballing wilderness for a couple of years, much like Riordan who took a while to get going). He's the type of player that lives of goals, and he'll score them. There's no doubt about that.

So all in all a great performance against one of the better teams in the league (although it's no coincidence that we play better against teams who actually try to play football themselves, rather than just trying to stop us playing). That being said we did play poorly against St Johnstone twice although that might just be because it was still early into the season and we were still trying to find our way - or at least Miller was.

Probably the first time this season that we've managed to maintain such a high level of performance for 90 minutes (Dundee United game case in point). Hopefully we can now push on:wink:

Wonderful post, S. Beautifully expressing what went on yesterday.

hibsbollah
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
So all in all a great performance against one of the better teams in the league (although it's no coincidence that we play better against teams who actually try to play football themselves, rather than just trying to stop us playing)

Thats a good point:agree: They are a big physical side, the front four all looked well over 6 foot but Gannon never had them knocking the high ball in the box, they kept trying to pass and move which made it a good spectacle. If they had someone who could finish they could definitely challenge the top of the league:agree:

Newhaven
06-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Excellent post for 5.55 on a Sunday morning :top marks

Wembley67
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow, thanks guys...sounds like things clicked perfectly :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
06-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Clear, concise and a better review of yesterday than anything I've read in the tabloids today :top marks

Wembley67
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Infact Shambo, your post makes me even prouder to be a hibby :thumbsup:

cad
06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
:top marksS for the post.
Maka great point blank save commanding his box solid game .
Wotherspoon such a talented player ,thumping tackle in the second half
Bamba strolled through today
Hoggy excellent ,
Murray composed and dogged defending plus his going forward wasnt to shabby either great game
Rankin super 90 mins Ranks long may it continue
Miller :top marks
Zouma not fit IMO ,but still put a show on , him and Stokes should try passing to each other ,dont get that scenario
Deek the boys good eh magic we chip as S said in his great report working hard closing them down , I left with a photo of Deek wi cramp who would have thought it eh :greengrin
Nish well well well no pun intended who was that yesterday a player who drives me nuts , what a difference played that wee bit deeper harried ,tackled ,linked up play some of his footwork was very nifty all in all my MOM Nishy great game well worthy of his applause when going off :applause:
Stokes ,worked his socks of did Stokesy IMO , confidence defo on the up ,good goal

What about Zouma turning the guy inside out ,till he fell on his ass ,or the ref tripping the Well midfielder up when he was trying to get back ,he was not amuzed, good game of football to watch some special stuff Makas save from point blank was so crucial to us, but Wotherspoons flick inside to Deek was brilliant I was screaming at Deek for not giving it back to him could have been goal of the decade but hey ho another 3 points and the green machine marches on

GGTTH:flag::flag::flag::flag:

ahibby
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
For the first ten minutes we made a few stray passes in our own half that let them in. My surprise was that Well didn't take advantage of those early blunders; they seemed to want to hold the ball up or pass it back when I think they should have gone in to the box with it. Never mind though because we also worked hard at the start and kept it going through out the game. The game at Fir Park earlier was better quality but then again the conditions were better and we were all fit with no injuries that I know off. Yesterday was going to be a different kind of game I thought and after we went a goal up we didn't relent. Hat off to Yogi who has told them to close Well down at their back and also to all the Hibs players who took that on board and did just that. I was really pleased to see so much communication going on between our players and the determination they showed. Nish was close to MOM for me but hey they all did good over the piece. Maka wasn't all that busy really but put in a no nonsense performance. 9/10 for that performance yesterday.

Hakim Sar
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Thats a good point:agree: They are a big physical side, the front four all looked well over 6 foot but Gannon never had them knocking the high ball in the box, they kept trying to pass and move which made it a good spectacle. If they had someone who could finish they could definitely challenge the top of the league:agree:

I don't really agree that Motherwell are a big physical side at all. I thought they looked like having a lot of skinny lanky kids if anything and when passing out from the back hibs were easily brushing them off the ball and setting up another wave of attacks. they were trying to be neat and tidy on the deck but as soon as they got to within 10 yards of halfway line were bullied into falling over or making another suicidal pass.

Appreciate they were not really at there best but I think Motherwell probably deserve better than ur st mirrens and aberdeens for trying to play the right way. My concern for them is they appear to have a rank rotten support that looked a good 500-800 short of what they used to bring in 90s.

Si_17
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM

If they had someone who could play a killer ball to John Sutton, they might have had more luck in front of goal.

hibsbollah
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't really agree that Motherwell are a big physical side at all. I thought they looked like having a lot of skinny lanky kids if anything and when passing out from the back hibs were easily brushing them off the ball and setting up another wave of attacks. they were trying to be neat and tidy on the deck but as soon as they got to within 10 yards of halfway line were bullied into falling over or making another suicidal pass.

Appreciate they were not really at there best but I think Motherwell probably deserve better than ur st mirrens and aberdeens for trying to play the right way. My concern for them is they appear to have a rank rotten support that looked a good 500-800 short of what they used to bring in 90s.

Sutton and Jutkiewicz upfront are both 6'2" and heavily built, most of their midfield are also 6'feet. I was quite impressed with their #24 who is apparently Mark Hateleys son. I agree they play the 'right way', it must be tempting to throw a lot of long balls in the box.

RoYO!
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM

i was in hysterics when they kept try to play the ball out from the goalie to their LB and RB and getting the ball knicked off their toes by our forwards, scarcely getting past the halfway line. cant remember seeing a forward line - from any team in spl- work so hard.

there keeper made some fantastic saves today, it wasnt a case of us squandering tonnes of chances. well done the hibs! :thumbsup: