PDA

View Full Version : Work ethic

down-the-slope
05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Well I don't think I have ever seen a game in 25 years where I thought that all 11 players gave their all for the full time they were on the pitch.

The work ethic and pressing even from those that its not their natural game is a credit to them all and the manager and coaching staff.

Every player made a significant contribution and some were excellent.

We made Well look average due to the way we denied them space - But when we controlled the ball we were a joy to watch.

The only surprse is how it ended only 2-0

PS - all those criticising the standard of the SPL recently should be made to watch a re-run of that game

ancient hibee
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
That was an important display against a team that should have been full of confidence(but perhaps believing their own publicity).Although Maka had a couple of really good saves frankly we made Motherwell look like second raters.

down the slope
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Agree with that one , we hunted them all over the park and never let them settle. more of the same and i will start to believe we are on the way, let's do it in away games as well.
I wonder what Yogi said to them to play that way?.

DaveF
05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I thought the work rate was absolutely brilliant from every single player.

Real defending from the front, and I can't recall seeing Hibs play this way for a very long time, if ever.

Hibs were simply too fast and too fit for Motherwell today and apart from Maka's save from the header, they rarely had a chance.

Well done Hibs - Same again next week please :agree:

ancient hibee
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Agree with that one , we hunted them all over the park and never let them settle. more of the same and i will start to believe we are on the way, let's do it in away games as well.
I wonder what Yogi said to them to play that way?.

The win bonus has been increased?

Westie1875
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I want to see us playing this was every single week. :agree:

greenlex
05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Well worth the money. Every one of them. :top marks

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
We dominated the game today with a great performance. We've said that one day somebody is going too get it from us, and it could have been Motherwell today if our final ball had been crisper.

I think we moved up to another level in terms of workrate and commitment. I haven't seem a Hibs side work that hard before. We were right on top of them whenever they had the ball. The effort and concentration were first class. We can still improve on our passing, but that sort of application will see us come out top in most games. The terrible performances at Hamilton and against St Johnstone seem to have been learned from.

It's a credit to Yogi and the will-to-win he's installed at ER. I've seen more skillful Hibs sides, but never one so disciplined and hungry.

Seveno
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I can't remember the last time that we had such total control in an SPL game from start to finish. Well done every single player for the fantastic workrate. Special mention to Nish - what a game !
Hope Deek is okay, he ran his socks off.

thebakerboy
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Got to agree withe everything said here but what has Yogi done to Deeks Nish etc 'cause I have never seen a Hibs team defend from the front and all over the Park like today in my 50+ years watching Hibs and to follow it up with a great deal of skill but sadly not enough goals from that performance A very enjoyable afternoon:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

VegasHibby
05-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Well I don't think I have ever seen a game in 25 years where I thought that all 11 players gave their all for the full time they were on the pitch.

The work ethic and pressing even from those that its not their natural game is a credit to them all and the manager and coaching staff.

Every player made a significant contribution and some were excellent.

We made Well look average due to the way we denied them space - But when we controlled the ball we were a joy to watch.

The only surprse is how it ended only 2-0

PS - all those criticising the standard of the SPL recently should be made to watch a re-run of that game

Yes very encouraging. This is what seperates the men from the boys. And Hibs have been lacking this commitment to a strong work ethic as a team for a long time. Yogi has instilled this in every player. That in itself is quite remarkable.

Sir David Gray
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
That was a wonderful performance today by every single player.

We pressed Motherwell all over the pitch today and did really well to win back possession.

It was a highly impressive TEAM performance and the players have now set the standard that we should be aiming to meet every single week now.

I'm just really disappointed that I won't be able to make Rugby Park next week.:boo hoo:

matty_f
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM

We pressed Motherwell all over the pitch today and did really well to win back possession.

It was a highly impressive TEAM performance and the players have now set the standard that we should be aiming to meet every single week now.

I'm just really disappointed that I won't be able to make Rugby Park next week.:boo hoo:

:agree:

Hard to find a poor performance in a Hibs shirt this afternoon - and the work rate (particularly from Nish, Deek and Stokes) was different class.

Motherwell hadn't a clue how to cope with us, and to be honest they were lucky to only concede two.

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Hard to find a poor performance in a Hibs shirt this afternoon - and the work rate (particularly from Nish, Deek and Stokes) was different class.

Motherwell hadn't a clue how to cope with us, and to be honest they were lucky to only concede two.

In the interests of balance, I'm going to be dishonest and state that I want to see a good performance and three points for Hearts at Hamilton tomorrow.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2009, 09:07 PM

:agree: Spot on you two.

I think it was only 2 due to their keeper making a couple of good saves in the 1st half and us trying to walk it into the net in the 2nd.

Great performance.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Stunning today from everyone they all gave 100 percent bring of the champions leauge.

marinello59
05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Fantastic stuff today. Motherwell are a decent side, made to look very ordinary. I loved seeing Nish get his well deserved ovation as he came off.

GGTTH :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Under Mowbray the biggest complaint was the work ethic at times, even Whittaker on the Official site stating "it's hard to be up for the games against smaller teams".

Credit to Yogi and co, the team these days has the work ethic we all wanted for years, and look at where it is taking us. The right attitude has been installed and players are putting in graft and making sure we take the points.

Maybe a winning (or non losing) mentality has been installed from this unbeaten run? No longer are we fearing games, we are going in with a will to win and coming away with the results we work for.

euro Hibby
06-12-2009, 05:02 AM
They are on a run and just don't want to lose against anyone. That could beseen all oveer the field. Long may it continue because today was a fine fine performance. Sure we could have got more goals but they will come if ths is the level we can obtain consistently. Not talk of Barr or Arfiled today !

ChicoM1875
06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
The work ethic was amazing yesterday - especially from Stokes, Nishy, and Riordan. I've noticed the last two games, yesterday and against Falkirk, Deek looked especially knackered towards the end, but it's just testament to the effort he's putting in just now. There was three or four instances yesterday where he bombed out of nowhere to intercept or pick up slack passes to begin an attack. What an amazing shift he put in.

I have to say, special mention to Ian Murray. I cant see too many comments on the boards here (probably because there were so many excellent performances accross the team), but he was brilliant as usual and deserves praise because he put in the kind of performance we now take for granted.

Hibs7
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I thought they were all brilliant yesterday even though we had some slack passing early on, but the men that impressed me most were Hogg, Riordan, Nish :thumbsup: thought the big man had the best game in a Hibs shirt since he came to Hibs. Stokes never gave up, Wotherspoon :thumbsup:, Murray as always :thumbsup:, Maka :thumbsup: Bamba:thumbsup: but I still don't understand how Miller got the man of the match award he doesn't seem as effective to me without McBride beside him. But a great game to watch and as everyone else says a brilliant work ethic from them all. :notworthy::notworthy:

One Day Soon
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
That kind of tireless chasing and closing down is the platform that any good team needs so that they can go and play the good football on the back of it. Without it everything else is flash in the pan. With it - particularly in this league - anything is possible.

It is a long, long time since I have seen a Hibs team do that. If they can do it consistently from now on it will be the first time I will have seen a Hibs side doing so in two and a half decades of being a season ticket holder.

In truth the only thing we lacked at times yesterday were: Zemmama needs to release the ball earlier up front when there is a simple option, we need to find more width at times and Stokes can still improve a lot on where he is now (you can see him getting better and better each game).

If we take points away in our next two games and then do Rangers and Hearts at home over Christmas I think we become serious third - maybe second - place contenders. I thought at the beginning of the season we were serious Scottish Cup propsects this year and I stand by that.

bigstu
06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
The work ethic was amazing yesterday - especially from Stokes, Nishy, and Riordan. I've noticed the last two games, yesterday and against Falkirk, Deek looked especially knackered towards the end, but it's just testament to the effort he's putting in just now. There was three or four instances yesterday where he bombed out of nowhere to intercept or pick up slack passes to begin an attack. What an amazing shift he put in.

I have to say, special mention to Ian Murray. I cant see too many comments on the boards here (probably because there were so many excellent performances accross the team), but he was brilliant as usual and deserves praise because he put in the kind of performance we now take for granted.

:top marks:thumbsup:

down-the-slope
06-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Wonder if they will get Monday off after that?

Then back to plot for the Killie game...don't want to fall down in that one as we have in the past...