Where are you?:devil:

Pedantic_Hibee
05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
This thread has come straight out of leftfield :grr::grr:

--------
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Just through off Hermitage Park, IIRC. :devil:

Gannon's doing a reasonable job with not a lot of resources, IMO. I'd have been quite happy of we'd appointed him....

..... but I'n DELIGHTED we've got Yogi in charge! :thumbsup:

hibbybrian
05-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Gannon's doing a reasonable job with not a lot of resources, IMO. I'd have been quite happy of we'd appointed him....

Yup - Gammon's team's had only the 2 defeats this season :agree:

both to Yogi's team :greengrin :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM

:top marks There was some who did not want him, he couldnae speak proper.:wink: He lets the football and more importantly the results do his talking.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

--------
05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
:top marks There was some who did not want him, he couldnae speak proper.:wink: He lets the football and more importantly the results do his talking.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aye - "inarticulate YOB" was the expression I remember.

Takes a sorts.

Personally, I'm no bothered how he talks - as long as he does the job..... :devil:

Andy74
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Gammon is a classless tit. Refusing to speak to media again today.

sleeping giant
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM

To be fair to him , he might have been laying into his players at the time :dunno:

--------
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM

:bitchy:

Or maybe he had nothing to say?

if he went round the Hibs players shaking hands at the end, he isn't classless, or a tit IMO.

Andy74
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
They are contracted to say something and he should have. He does more whingeing about the media than Romanov. He's a tit!

Cocaine&Caviar
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Spent the whole match moaning about the stick he was getting from the Hibs fans, which was no more harsh or insulting than every other manager gets every week; notified the stewards and then the 4th official about it. Then post match refuses to speak on the match and tells his players to do the same.

Not the sort of guy i would have liked as Hibs boss...

hibee_girl
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Motherwell manager Jim Gannon refused to speak to any members of the media and instructed his players to remain silent, too.

No explanation was given for the decision of Gannon, who also avoided the press conference after his side's 2-2 draw with Hamilton four weeks ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8394365.stm

keep the faith
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Managed in the lower leagues in England and has come up here and complained about the standard of the refs, the media and now the supporters.

Like he is used to better?????

Jog on Gannon and earn your stripes before pontificating on everything wrong with Scottish football.

The Voice Of Reason
05-12-2009, 06:06 PM
They are contracted to say something and he should have. He does more whingeing about the media than Romanov. He's a tit!

Disagree, don't think he is a tit or classless - quite like the guy actually, he has the balls to stand up and be a bit controversial.

The media can be real t*ssers, it is good that he gives them the runaround in my opinion!

Lets agree to disagree (like we did with Mixu - recall that you wanted him to stay whereas I wanted him to go). Presume you are glad he went now though ?!? :devil::stirrer:

Only kidding by the way - no need to reply to that last part - unnecessary dig :wink: :greengrin

GreenPJ
05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Managed in the lower leagues in England and has come up here and complained about the standard of the refs, the media and now the supporters.

Like he is used to better?????

Jog on Gannon and earn your stripes before pontificating on everything wrong with Scottish football.

What a crock of *****. Gannon has been good for the Scottish game, he has taken a team that had been decimated and got young players trying to play footy, he is not scared (despite being new) in having a crack at the standard of refereeing and the SFA despite knowing that that will go against him by the Largs mafia. He also stood on the pitch at the end and shook all the players hands (Hibs and Motherwell).

Maybe as Hibs fans we should be more focussed on supporting the team and watching the game than bothering about the opposition manager.

King Paddy
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Said on Hibs radio that Jim Gannon shoke hands with every Hibs player at the end of the match. Nice gesture from the Motherwell boss.

BEEJ
05-12-2009, 06:22 PM
What a crock of *****. Gannon has been good for the Scottish game, he has taken a team that had been decimated and got young players trying to play footy, he is not scared (despite being new) in having a crack at the standard of refereeing and the SFA despite knowing that that will go against him by the Largs mafia. He also stood on the pitch at the end and shook all the players hands (Hibs and Motherwell).

Maybe as Hibs fans we should be more focussed on supporting the team and watching the game than bothering about the opposition manager.
:top marks Particularly the bit in bold.

GreenPJ
05-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Disagree, don't think he is a tit or classless - quite like the guy actually, he has the balls to stand up and be a bit controversial.

The media can be real t*ssers, it is good that he gives them the runaround in my opinion! Lets agree to disagree (like we did with Mixu - recall that you wanted him to stay whereas I wanted him to go). Presume you are glad he went now though ?!? :devil::stirrer:

Only kidding by the way - no need to reply to that last part - unnecessary dig :wink: :greengrin

:agree::agree:

--------
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM

:top marks

Jim Gannon has said the same thing about Scottish refereeing standards as many of us have been saying for years. I have no complaint whatsoever about his comments about referees.

As for the fans, if he was getting the sort of pelters I've heard some of our alleged 'fans' handing out to their own players, he probably has a justified complaint. What did he do to deserve being abused for 90 minutes? He's doing no more than his job? :rolleyes:

Hibs fans concentrating on supporting and encouraging their team...

Now THERE's a radical new idea! :devil:

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes, Gannon impresses me highly as a class act. He's been great for the Scottish game.

euro Hibby
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
and he was there at the end with a handshake for all the hIbs players ......class way to take defeat.......

keep the faith
05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
opinions eh.

I still cant be bothered with him though :wink:

Hibercelona
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
He's a great manager IMO. And great to see him shaking hands at the end.

Still... not Yogi's class. :cool2:

--------
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
The way Cowan and the rest of the Beebteam commentate on games why should anyone take notice of them?

:confused:

Andy74
05-12-2009, 06:39 PM

The media can be real t*ssers, it is good that he gives them the runaround in my opinion!

Lets agree to disagree (like we did with Mixu - recall that you wanted him to stay whereas I wanted him to go). Presume you are glad he went now though ?!? :devil::stirrer:

I've got to reply to that because I quite clearly wanted mixu out!?

DaveF
05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I saw Gannon shake the hand of every player as they came off the park but I didn't see him shake hands with Hughes.

In fact, it looked like Hughes was fed up waiting to shake hands and just went down the tunnel?

Judas Iscariot
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.roshani.co.uk/livingtoeat/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/sliced-gammon.JPG

Booked4Being-Ugly
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Why did Gannon refuse to give an interview after the game?

The Voice Of Reason
05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I've got to reply to that because I quite clearly wanted mixu out!?

Apologies - seemed to recall that you were a Mixu fan. My mistake sir. :thumbsup:

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I think Gannon is hiding behind his criticism of referees for his team's failings, yes others have complained about the standard of the ref's but not to extent he does.

It'd be good to see him referee a game and have his decisions or non decisions poured over.

For what it's worth, I don't think our ref's are that bad.

They've only been beaten twice this season...not too many failings there :agree:

The refs up here are terrible...especially the one today - although not the worst i have seen him - still confused about the corner today when he told Riordan to take it from the west stand side :confused:

PatHead
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Referee did his best to ruin a good game. Gannon would get a lot more respect if he taught his players to stand up when they were tackled rather than falling down all day conning the ref who was sh@t by the way.

scott7_0(Prague)
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Seems he has a few dummies spat out...

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon refused to speak to any members of the media and instructed his players to remain silent, too.

No explanation was given for the decision of Gannon, who also avoided the press conference after his side's 2-2 draw with Hamilton four weeks ago.

Broken Gnome
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
What were Motherwell all about today?? Some of the things they did, particularly at the back, were frankly bizarre. It was almost akin to the way Dinaburg played in the Intertoto Cup a few years ago.

Johnny_Leith
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Thought the ref had a fussy first half but was good in the 2nd. Not the worst performance I've ever seen but to be fair I didn't have a good view of the penalty shout for 'Well.

Don't see any reason for Gannon to complain about the ref if the penalty shout was called correctly and as for taking abuse from the Hibs fans he should just man up, simples!

ronaldo7
05-12-2009, 07:34 PM
What were Motherwell all about today?? Some of the things they did, particularly at the back, were frankly bizarre. It was almost akin to the way Dinaburg played in the Intertoto Cup a few years ago.

I remember us playing like that under JC.

We would always roll the ball out from the back only for our defenders to be closed down and lose the ball:grr:

TornadoHibby
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM

For a "classless tit" he went onto the pitch at full time and shook the hand of EVERY Hibs player! :agree: :wink:

Were you at the game today or were you listening to the Radio Scotland experts again! :wink: :greengrin

I think we should wait until we KNOW the reason why he didn't speak to the BBC after the match before we start firing potentially seriously flawed insults at the guy don't you think!? :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Refusing to speak to us apparently G :greengrin

Calling Gannon a classles whatever is a bit OTT in my opinion as he did, as others have commented, shake each Hibs players hand and perhaps he could coach Wenger in that regard :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
05-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Their goalkeeper was clearly favouring a thigh injury and didn't fancy taking goal kicks long. Begs the question why Reynolds or Saunders didn't take them instead, as the Hibs centres did for a while last season when Szamotulski was struggling with injury.

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Indeed, when they don't get a win it's the referees fault, nothing to to with his team.

The ref made mistakes? he must be terrible

Doesn't really make him good does it :greengrin

Toaods
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
what a load of garbage.

if 'they' are meant to be the managers they are not contracted to speak to the media whatsoever. Under Sky and Setanta I believe the two participating clubs are bobliged to provide a spokesman, hence the reason Alex Ferguson sent some youth coach up one day when he was fed up with all the crap they churn out.

He was asked about poor refereeing decisions and commented that he had written to Hugh Dallas yet not received any reply. The Media have started making it into a full scare war, that doesn't exist.

IMHO he has handled everything very well off the park and on the park the club can have no worries about the selection they have made.

Sir David Gray
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I didn't see him at the end of the game so I wasn't aware that he had shaken the hand of every Hibs player, if that is the case then good on him.

HOWEVER, if he didn't do a post match interview purely because he is in the huff with the media then it is extremely childish and I also wouldn't be pleased if I was a Motherwell fan. I think managers and players have a duty to speak to the press so that supporters know the thoughts and views of the people at their club.

If he didn't come out after the game because he was just so angry with the way that his team played today and had them locked in the dressing room until 5:30pm, then that's fair enough.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
what a load of garbage.

if 'they' are meant to be the managers they are not contracted to speak to the media whatsoever. Under Sky and Setanta I believe the two participating clubs are bobliged to provide a spokesman, hence the reason Alex Ferguson sent some youth coach up one day when he was fed up with all the crap they churn out.

Chick Young claimed that he is contracted - the BBC pay money into the pot so they can get interviews.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
what a load of garbage.

He was asked about poor refereeing decisions and commented that he had written to Hugh Dallas yet not received any reply. The Media have started making it into a full scare war, that doesn't exist.

IMHO he has handled everything very well off the park and on the park the club can have no worries about the selection they have made.

D, I think the problem today was that Gannon refused to speak but also banned anyone from the club from speaking and not for the first time. SPL clubs are contracted to provide a spokesperson and Motherwell didn't/wouldn't so it could be they'll get in soapy because of that

Winston Ingram
05-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Apologies - seemed to recall that you were a Mixu fan. My mistake sir. :thumbsup:

Credit to you for your apologies. Too many Shereen Nanjiani's disappear without response when they are proved wrong:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM

What puzzled me about the wat that they played is that they have fairly quick players middle to front [ 'cept for Sutton] and could shift the ball quickly on the floor, but after Sutton's departure, it was like they were left without a focal point and were utterly clueless. The way their players stood-off our players in the second half particularly was beyond belief. If I was a 'Well fan I think I would be wanting my manager to explain that.:dunno:

Broken Gnome
05-12-2009, 08:18 PM
What puzzled me about the wat that they played is that they have fairly quick players middle to front [ 'cept for Sutton] and could shift the ball quickly on the floor, but after Sutton's departure, it was like they were left without a focal point and were utterly clueless. The way their players stood-off our players in the second half particularly was beyond belief. If I was a 'Well fan I think I would be wanting my manager to explain that.:dunno:

:agree: Gave up the ghost long before the end. I thought they were rubbish to be honest. Not saying they are like that normally, but I wasn't necessarily expecting Hibs to win today but it far and away more comfortable than I'd ever have imagined. Mainly down to Hibs obviously, but still.

Andy74
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
For a "classless tit" he went onto the pitch at full time and shook the hand of EVERY Hibs player! :agree: :wink:

Were you at the game today or were you listening to the Radio Scotland experts again! :wink: :greengrin

I think we should wait until we KNOW the reason why he didn't speak to the BBC after the match before we start firing potentially seriously flawed insults at the guy don't you think!? :wink:

I was at the game and nothing happened during it to cause him not to provide anyone to speak from the club other than the fact they were outclassed.

The punters pay for the game and he should grow up a bit I think. In his short time here he's come over a bit of a tit as I've said.

Just my opinion like!

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Refusing to speak to us apparently G :greengrin

Calling Gannon a classles whatever is a bit OTT in my opinion as he did, as others have commented, shake each Hibs players hand and perhaps he could coach Wenger in that regard :wink:

Has anyone seen both of them in the same room John?:wink:

greenlex
05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Gannon hasn't spoke to the media for weeks now. It was nothing to do with anything that happened today.

TornadoHibby
05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I was at the game and nothing happened during it to cause him not to provide anyone to speak from the club other than the fact they were outclassed.

The punters pay for the game and he should grow up a bit I think. In his short time here he's come over a bit of a tit as I've said.

Just my opinion like!

You have no idea what happened that made him decide to do what he did yet you still pontificate like you know everything that happened to Gannon as opposed to what you saw if you were at the game! :confused:

"Assume" can, I understand, mean in some situations "makes an "Ass out of U and Me"" so usually better to avoid assuming unless your knowledge base is pretty much unchallengeable! :wink: :greengrin

judas
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't know much about Gannon, but I do like a bit of gammon. Especially with a bit of pineapple or in soup.

Yes. Lovely.

pedroorange1875
05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Sit in west lower right behind the dugouts, never heard any abuse towards him.

He managed Stockport County in case you didn't know:agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Sit in west lower right behind the dugouts, never heard any abuse towards him.

He managed Stockport County in case you didn't know:agree:

I sit right next to them, row B, and he was getting told to sit down, and was called a Fanny a few times, thats about as offensive as it got...

Hainan Hibs
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Hasn't Gannon got a problem with the media? Remember reading that basically he thinks they are a bunch of ******s and can't be bothered with them.

I quite like Gannon, wouldn't have complained if he had ended up at ER, and I'm glad we have guys like him managing teams in the SPL.

I Love Lamp
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Think this provides some insight into why Gordon Strachan often behaved the way he did towards the media. People often criticised him for giving rude, flippant answers yet no-one covered the rudeness, not to mention the oftentimes straight-up-and-down stupidity, of the questions. Funnily enough, that never gets reported :rolleyes:.

It seems that any Manager who has worked outwith Scotland (especially the West of Scotland) finds the press there to be particularly odious. This has been the case with Strachan, Gannon, Paul Le Guen and Mowbray (at least in his time at Celtic). So I am inclined to think that it's a problem with the way the Scottish media, rather than a growing list of managers, conducts itself. Meanwhile, they console Walter and bring him some cocoa when things go badly for Rangers. It's a wonder no-one's offered to massage his shoulders. McGhee, similarly, gets very favourable treatment with unsettling rumours started whenever he wants another team's player.

As for the refereeing performances, they are often pathetic. Why? It's because down south, as Gannon said in an interview on the BBC site, they have league tables and proper reporting structures which means that poor referees get kicked down the leagues for a couple of weeks. Here it's just "Aww never mind, try to do better next week" on the pathetic basis that it'll put folk going into refereeing otherwise. For the £800 a game referees get, I don't think a decent standard of performance is too much to ask. On the basis of that, Brines should be doing the Juniors for a fortnight.

Look at that today: soft free kicks given against Hibs, many more where he would have given free kicks but instead played advantage when it was clearly never a foul in the first place and that shocking decision to book the Motherwell player for what looked to be an obvious penalty. The worst decision though was the free kick given against Bamba for a perfect tackle right on the touchline slightly up from Gannon's dug-out. Even Gannon shook his head at that one.

In short, Gannon's not the problem. The backward way so many things are done in Scotland, from the media to refereeing, is the problem.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Didn't see what happened?!?!?!?!?:confused:

An exchange of words and the police got involved but no idea after that.....

Anything to add?

Glory glory

Cocaine&Caviar
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=168379

to summarise the guy said sit down you fanny, and Gannon didnt like it one bit so notified the 4th official...

Andy74
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
You have no idea what happened that made him decide to do what he did yet you still pontificate like you know everything that happened to Gannon as opposed to what you saw if you were at the game! :confused:

"Assume" can, I understand, mean in some situations "makes an "Ass out of U and Me"" so usually better to avoid assuming unless your knowledge base is pretty much unchallengeable! :wink: :greengrin

I don't care what the reasons are. There wasn't any on pitch contaversy is what I meant. They are obliged to send someone out and yet again they never. The fans fund football and it's not good enough to act like that.

givescotlandfreedom
06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

to summarise the guy said sit down you fanny, and Gannon didnt like it one bit so notified the 4th official...

Aww diddums :greengrin Next time they're at ER everyone should taunt him if it's going to stop him from concentrating on the game.

BEEJ
06-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Think this provides some insight into why Gordon Strachan often behaved the way he did towards the media. People often criticised him for giving rude, flippant answers yet no-one covered the rudeness, not to mention the oftentimes straight-up-and-down stupidity, of the questions. Funnily enough, that never gets reported :rolleyes:.

It seems that any Manager who has worked outwith Scotland (especially the West of Scotland) finds the press there to be particularly odious. This has been the case with Strachan, Gannon, Paul Le Guen and Mowbray (at least in his time at Celtic). So I am inclined to think that it's a problem with the way the Scottish media, rather than a growing list of managers, conducts itself. Meanwhile, they console Walter and bring him some cocoa when things go badly for Rangers. It's a wonder no-one's offered to massage his shoulders. McGhee, similarly, gets very favourable treatment with unsettling rumours started whenever he wants another team's player.

As for the refereeing performances, they are often pathetic. Why? It's because down south, as Gannon said in an interview on the BBC site, they have league tables and proper reporting structures which means that poor referees get kicked down the leagues for a couple of weeks. Here it's just "Aww never mind, try to do better next week" on the pathetic basis that it'll put folk going into refereeing otherwise. For the £800 a game referees get, I don't think a decent standard of performance is too much to ask. On the basis of that, Brines should be doing the Juniors for a fortnight.

In short, Gannon's not the problem. The backward way so many things are done in Scotland, from the media to refereeing, is the problem.
:agree:

The members of the sporting media often declare that they are providing a service for the fans in these interviews. In fact they are there post-match to whip up a story, find an 'exclusive' or keep the pot boiling over some ******ing row. Why else, for example, would they continually ask Managers whether the referee's decision making was correct etc when they know that Managers are not permitted to comment on that aspect of the game? :rolleyes:

The 'Well fans will get the info they need from the club on their website over the course of the next few days. Better that than having the club's key messages twisted and distorted by Chick Young and friends.

basehibby
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
From the following article it would seem that Gannon is simply giving the press the treatment they deserve (reported by the Daily Record - spot the delicious irony;0).I think he's quite right to make a stand - the football media in this country often sink to the level of pond life in their relentless search for a controversial angle. As Gannon points out, these lies and misrepresentations can have damaging effects - what he's doing is shining a spotlight on the guilty parties rather than just letting them get away with it as usual. :top marksto him for making a stand but will it make any difference??? Doubtful but you never know.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/motherwell/2009/11/13/motherwell-manager-jim-gannon-explains-lanarkshire-derby-silence-86908-21818972/

For anyone who objects on principal to giving the Daily ****** page a hit, here is the article in full>>>>

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon explains Lanarkshire derby silence

Nov 13 2009 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/motherwell/2009/11/13/)
MOTHERWELL boss Jim Gannon claims the media are to blame for his decision to boycott last week's Lanarkshire derby post-match conference.

In the build-up to the game, the former Stockport manager picked up the Clydesdale Bank manager of the month award for October with striker Lukas Jutkiewicz claiming the young player prize.

However, Gannon was unhappy with the reporting of what he said when accepting the award and consequently, he did not turn up for the traditional press conference following his side's thrilling 2-2 draw with Hamilton.

"The reason why I didn't speak to the press was because I was really disappointed with the coverage we got leading up to the game," the Fir Park boss told his club's official website.

"In particular, one organisation had spun a story about me telling players they could leave which wasn't the case.

"Other press then ran with the story, adding statements saying I had told players they could go and started naming names which I felt was totally disrespectful to me and the players involved.

"Some of the players they named have been extremely good professionals or have been injured and have been working really hard to show they've got a career here at the club.

"I think it was out of order to paraphrase me and I felt if they are going to be that disrespectful to me, the players and the club then perhaps they shouldn't get my respect sharing my pre and post-match time and thoughts."

Gannon continued: "Naturally enough when you're a manager, some players don't always come and speak to you personally to understand your thinking or what is going through your mind so when they pick up an article like that then obviously it may worry them.

"Most of them are long enough in the game to understand that there aren't any direct quotes from me about anyone's individual position.

"Moreover, I am just disappointed with the some of the broadcasters and newspapers because it was a good news story for the club.

"I had managed to win manager of the month and Lukas had picked up young player and I understand we were very, very close to winning player of the month which would've been a fantastic coup for the club.

"Then all we read is stories aimed at upsetting the harmony after a simple question about improving the squad situation."

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I thought Stokes was half a yard offside for the first, was right in line with it. That linesman didn't flag a couple of times when I thought other Hibees were offside, maybe sfa retribution for Mr. Gannon's heavy critique of officials? :confused: Motherwell do have some exceptional young players, that was obvious from watching some of their movement and passing. Hibs contained them tho.

Woody1985
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I thought Stokes was half a yard offside for the first, was right in line with it. That linesman didn't flag a couple of times when I thought other Hibees were offside, maybe sfa retribution for Mr. Gannon's heavy critique of officials? :confused: Motherwell do have some exceptional young players, that was obvious from watching some of their movement and passing. Hibs contained them tho.

I was in line with it as well and he was onside. I half expected the linesman to raise his flag but he did his job well in that instance.

Baader
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Don't really see what's 'classless' about not speaking directly to the press. They have their own agenda and there is no way Jim Gannon will have anything in his contract obliging him to speak to BBC Scotland, so why should he waste time trying to make life easier for the likes of Chick Young if he doesn't want to? If fans really want to know his thoughts they can buy the programme or check out the club's website - no spin attached to either. If he's a proper grievance then fair enough. I've worked in the media long enough to know certain people are treated more fairly than others and some are set up big time. Press conferences featuring Jim Duffy spring to mind...

ehf
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM

A police officer then came and spoke to a couple of fans near the dugout - he was laughing and you could tell he (and the stewards) shared the fans' view of Gannon. Lots of banter after that: "Gannon - be a man" etc. Best was "Gannon - you're a front bottom!".

copycat
07-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes, Gannon impresses me highly as a class act. He's been great for the Scottish game.

class act???

he spat the dummy out and refused to speak to the media and instructed his players to do the same, AGAIN!!!

As a manager you are epected to do an after match interview and by refusing to do so he is sticking his fingers up to his own fans, win, lose or draw Yogi will do his interview with honesty and integrity and that in my opionion is what a class act is!!!

Hibs outclassed motherwell and he should be big enough to face the media and admit they were crap and go twhat they deserved rather than hiding like a spoilt brat.

Dashing Bob S
07-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Don't really see what's 'classless' about not speaking directly to the press. They have their own agenda and there is no way Jim Gannon will have anything in his contract obliging him to speak to BBC Scotland, so why should he waste time trying to make life easier for the likes of Chick Young if he doesn't want to? If fans really want to know his thoughts they can buy the programme or check out the club's website - no spin attached to either. If he's a proper grievance then fair enough. I've worked in the media long enough to know certain people are treated more fairly than others and some are set up big time. Press conferences featuring Jim Duffy spring to mind...

Yes, I don't see why any manager or player speaks to them. They are either irredeemably bland or just stirring it to try and generate a story. I'd rather we told them all to GTF and spoke to club TV/websites only. They have an overinflated opinion of their own role in proceedings, something few fans share. We have our own media now, and we don't need those parasites, particularly the moribund print media. The reporter in the Herald today wasted half of his copy of the match report, pretending not to be hurt and denigrating Gannon for not speaking to him. Who TF cares?

Arch Stanton
07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
.....Meanwhile, they console Walter and bring him some cocoa when things go badly for Rangers. ......

Maybe this interview explains why they are nice to Walter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG27qGTMXa4

BEEJ
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
class act???

he spat the dummy out and refused to speak to the media and instructed his players to do the same, AGAIN!!!

As a manager you are epected to do an after match interview and by refusing to do so he is sticking his fingers up to his own fans, win, lose or draw Yogi will do his interview with honesty and integrity and that in my opionion is what a class act is!!!

Hibs outclassed motherwell and he should be big enough to face the media and admit they were crap and go twhat they deserved rather than hiding like a spoilt brat.
I don't believe for one minute that Gannon's no-show on Saturday had anything to do with 'Well's defeat.

More likely that having endured a week of being headlined in the media due to his views on the quality of refereeing in the SPL, he was not going to be drawn on the subject again after a match in which he might have felt his team deserved a penalty.

jgl07
07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Hasn't Gannon got a problem with the media? Remember reading that basically he thinks they are a bunch of ******s and can't be bothered with them.
When he was at Stockport he refused to speak to Sky Sports because Sky were slow to send someone around to fix his satellite dish.

Andy74
08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't believe for one minute that Gannon's no-show on Saturday had anything to do with 'Well's defeat.

More likely that having endured a week of being headlined in the media due to his views on the quality of refereeing in the SPL, he was not going to be drawn on the subject again after a match in which he might have felt his team deserved a penalty.

He was happy to use the media to have a go at the referee. Publicity when he wants it but at a time and place of his choosing? Naw, choose another career if that's what you want.

He should at least have sent a player out to discuss the real event - the game.

As noted above regardless of what is thrown at Hughes during the week or what happens on the pitch I'm sure he knows its his job to go out and talk to the press, even if it is to tell them what he thinks of them.

Just refusing to speak is childish really. I wonder how long Motherwell would last without TV or any other type of media coverage and how long Gannon would be employed?

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2009, 09:04 AM
He was happy to use the media to have a go at the referee. Publicity when he wants it but at a time and place of his choosing? Naw, choose another career if that's what you want.

As noted above regardless of what is thrown at Hughes during the week or what happens on the pitch I'm sure he knows its his job to go out and talk to the press, even if it is to tell them what he thinks of them.

Just refusing to speak is childish really. I wonder how long Motherwell would last without TV or any other type of media coverage and how long Gannon would be employed?

:top marks We might all agree with his views on the officials, but does he really think taking a vow of silence will change anything? All he is doing is giving the media more ammunition to berate him, and even his own fans wont put up with it long. They want to know from the people in charge of their club, their views on how thing went each and every week. Maybe he could get molehill avenue to do his press for him, assuming they are different people.

I Love Lamp
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe this interview explains why they are nice to Walter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG27qGTMXa4

Exactly but it is not telling that the fuss is fairly limited. Can you imagine the furore if Walter had given such a reaction towards a journalist whilst he was still at Everton? Arsene Wenger let one expletive slip and was pilloried for it in the press.

I think if he had done that down South, the journalist would simply have terminated the interview and the press would've torn him to shreds or at least been more combative in response (a la those on the end of Joe Kinnear's rant). Here Walter got away with it because, without the cooperation of Rangers, a journalist is hamstrung.

I'm not going to say there's any more sinister reason behind it than the sheer size and influence of Glasgow Rangers (the big fish in the small pond effect), although some might point to the hostile treatment of successive Celtic managers by comparison to suggest that there are darker motives in motion, but it is undeniable that the press in Scotland has its favourites and doesn't mind making it quite clear who they are.

BEEJ
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Possibly.

Just refusing to speak is childish really.
The accusation of childishness would be better directed at the majority of our football journalists up here.

All Gannon has done is to deny them for a while of the oxygen they feel they need to pursue their so-called 'profession'.

All he is doing is giving the media more ammunition to berate him, and even his own fans wont put up with it long. They want to know from the people in charge of their club, their views on how thing went each and every week.
I try to listen to the comments of the Hibs manager after every Hibs match.

I reckon that at least half of those interviews that I have heard (or subsequently read) have added nothing to my understanding of how the match went or to the current events / developments at the club. As an example, Mixu's reign was very poor for post-match comment.

Most managers are forced to give pretty stock answers to the standard questions that are rolled out time after time; many deliberately keep their cards close to their chest knowing the media for what it is.

It is surely going a bit far then to suggest that Gannon's silence on Saturday somehow deprived the Motherwell fans either of an exclusive or two or some fascinating insights into his game-plan and tactics and where they went wrong?

In any case I doubt that his silence will continue and he'll be back with the usual management spiel come 14.45hrs on Saturday after his team's fixture with Celtic. :rolleyes: (Mmmm... match against the OF this week. Possibly another reason for keeping quite last Saturday.)

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Possibly.

The accusation of childishness would be better directed at the majority of our football journalists up here.

All Gannon has done is to deny them for a while of the oxygen they feel they need to pursue their so-called 'profession'.

I try to listen to the comments of the Hibs manager after every Hibs match.

I reckon that at least half of those interviews that I have heard (or subsequently read) have added nothing to my understanding of how the match went or to the current events / developments at the club.
What about the other half

As an example, Mixu's reign was very poor for post-match comment.

Most managers are forced to give pretty stock answers to the standard questions that are rolled out time after time; many deliberately keep their cards close to their chest knowing the media for what it is.
Perhaps, but maybe its only me, but when i'm travelling home from the games, we are all talking about what happened, and what should have happened, but as soon as Yogi comes on and gives his views, the car is silent. This will be the same for motherwell fans, they deserve to hear from their manager.
It is surely going a bit far then to suggest that Gannon's silence on Saturday somehow deprived the Motherwell fans either of an exclusive or two or some fascinating insights into his game-plan and tactics and where they went wrong?
Again perhaps, but surely they deserve something?

In any case I doubt that his silence will continue and he'll be back with the usual management spiel come 14.45hrs on Saturday after his team's fixture with Celtic. :rolleyes: (Mmmm... match against the OF this week. Possibly another reason for keeping quite last Saturday.)

I have no idea if he will remain silent this Saturday or not, but again imho if he does, he's being very childish the longer it does.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 08:44 AM
It seems his complaints were with the referee. If so I can't recall any real issues on the day and his actions were just as patehetic as I thought at the time.

matty_f
11-12-2009, 09:41 AM
It seems his complaints were with the referee. If so I can't recall any real issues on the day and his actions were just as patehetic as I thought at the time.
The referee wasn't great but the only big decision I thought he got wrong was booking their boy for a dive.

Stokes was 100% definitely onside for his goal, and I can't think of a tackle from a Hibs player that warranted a booking that wasn't given.

Even if 'Well had got and scored their penalty, I think we were so much better than them it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
The referee wasn't great but the only big decision I thought he got wrong was booking their boy for a dive.

Stokes was 100% definitely onside for his goal, and I can't think of a tackle from a Hibs player that warranted a booking that wasn't given.

Even if 'Well had got and scored their penalty, I think we were so much better than them it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

It would have made me feel better though, i had 2-1 in the prediction league.:greengrin Maybe he's got previous for taking the huff, i dont know, i'm just sssssooooo happy we got Yogi, rather than grumpy baws.