PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller's Arrival at Hibernian

Future17
04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Article here regarding Liam Miller's career and mentions that he phoned John Hughes to offer his services. Anyone know if this is true?

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-blogs/fall-grace-liam-miller?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_manchester_united_blogs+% 28FFC_Manchester_United_Blogs%29

cabbageandribs1875
04-12-2009, 02:05 PM
why would he lie :confused:

Storar
04-12-2009, 02:08 PM
why would he lie :confused:

he didn't say it did he

cabbageandribs1875
04-12-2009, 02:11 PM
he didn't say it did he

says here he did

After being released by QPR it was perhaps Miller’s lowest moment as a footballer and he failed to find a club during the summer. Miller then took matters into his own hands and phoned the manager of Hibernian to offer his services; he was offered a two-year deal and is now enjoying his best form back in Scotland.

i fail to see why on earth whoever wrote the article would make up a story like that ? :rolleyes:

Andy74
04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Hughes has said in an interview that Liam Miller phoned him to make contact.

Storar
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
says here he did

After being released by QPR it was perhaps Miller’s lowest moment as a footballer and he failed to find a club during the summer. Miller then took matters into his own hands and phoned the manager of Hibernian to offer his services; he was offered a two-year deal and is now enjoying his best form back in Scotland.

i fail to see why on earth whoever wrote the article would make up a story like that ? :rolleyes:

Miller never said it though.
And I've no idea who the guy writing the article is so I have no idea why he might 'make it up'. Maybe he was just misinformed, maybe it's a genuine mistake, maybe it's right. None of us know which is why the guy is asking. It's not as if its come straight from a first hand source.

But then again, I'm not a cynical old man with tunnel vision

Andy74
04-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Miller never said it though.
And I've no idea who the guy writing the article is so I have no idea why he might 'make it up'. Maybe he was just misinformed, maybe it's a genuine mistake, maybe it's right. None of us know which is why the guy is asking. It's not as if its come straight from a first hand source.

But then again, I'm not a cynical old man with tunnel vision

A first hand source:

But Hughes revealed today he became aware of Miller's availability as the player himself phoned him out of the blue.

"Liam is a close friend of Graham Barrett, who I had at Falkirk and is now with Shamrock Rovers and is doing a bit of work as an agent. So there I was sitting in the house one night when the phone went and it was Liam at the other end.

"I think Graham must have given us a right good reference. In any case, we talked about a couple of things and he said he wanted to enjoy his football again.

"I don't think he'd been doing that for the last year or so, he'd seen the side of football that's not so pleasant. He just wanted to be playing with a smile on his face."

Hughes, however, made a few checks of his own on the Cork-born star who had suffered a somewhat chequered career following his decision to quit Celtic for Manchester, including a call to his former manager at Sunderland, Ricky Sbragia.

The Hibs manager said: "Ricky asked me why I was phoning, that I shouldn't hesitate because Liam is everything you want at your football club."

And, Hughes insisted, he hasn't been disappointed. He said: "I've no doubt Liam is a millionaire but he wasn't hard to deal with. He wants to enjoy his football and it's great to see him running about with that smile on his face.

vahibbie
04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
he finds himself playing for Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League instead of one turning out for one of Europe’s leading clubs

Bloody cheek, what does he mean instead:grr:

Storar
04-12-2009, 02:32 PM
A first hand source:

But Hughes revealed today he became aware of Miller's availability as the player himself phoned him out of the blue.

"Liam is a close friend of Graham Barrett, who I had at Falkirk and is now with Shamrock Rovers and is doing a bit of work as an agent. So there I was sitting in the house one night when the phone went and it was Liam at the other end.

"I think Graham must have given us a right good reference. In any case, we talked about a couple of things and he said he wanted to enjoy his football again.

"I don't think he'd been doing that for the last year or so, he'd seen the side of football that's not so pleasant. He just wanted to be playing with a smile on his face."

Hughes, however, made a few checks of his own on the Cork-born star who had suffered a somewhat chequered career following his decision to quit Celtic for Manchester, including a call to his former manager at Sunderland, Ricky Sbragia.

The Hibs manager said: "Ricky asked me why I was phoning, that I shouldn't hesitate because Liam is everything you want at your football club."

And, Hughes insisted, he hasn't been disappointed. He said: "I've no doubt Liam is a millionaire but he wasn't hard to deal with. He wants to enjoy his football and it's great to see him running about with that smile on his face.
Quality, that;s the question answered then! Happiness is the key, Hibs will win the league:notworthy:

Baw187
04-12-2009, 02:40 PM
A first hand source:

This is probably one of the most bizzare things I have heard. Quality, millionaire, international football player, with champions league experience, call the HIBS manager, looking for a game !!

I hear Ryan Bable's a bit peeved at Liverpool.... someone want to slip him Yogi's number??

Not that in any way am I complaining, but it's a weird, weird situation to come about. Does this rubbish the story reported before the Derby that the Yams were trying to sign him??

--------
04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
he finds himself playing for Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League instead of one turning out for one of Europe’s leading clubs

Bloody cheek, what does he mean instead:grr:

"Going from ‘the next Roy Keane’ to be being transfer-listed by Keane himself is certainly a note-worthy fall from grace, but happily for Miller he appears to have sorted himself out and though Hibernian are a long way from Manchester United, he is at least enjoying some semblance of success with them."

Gawthaman Gobinath's a mean-minded patronising ignorant twonk, that's what he is.

Liam is part of the resurgence of a sleeping giant of European football.

The twonk will learn this - the hard way. :agree:

Green Mikey
04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
This is probably one of the most bizzare things I have heard. Quality, millionaire, international football player, with champions league experience, call the HIBS manager, looking for a game !!

I hear Ryan Bable's a bit peeved at Liverpool.... someone want to slip him Yogi's number??

Not that in any way am I complaining, but it's a weird, weird situation to come about. Does this rubbish the story reported before the Derby that the Yams were trying to sign him??

It is really strange situation. Firstly how could he not find a club in the summer, his quality was evident form the first game he played for us. Secondly, he could have chosen to call a lower Championship club/upper League 1 club and earned more than the 4/5k he get at Hibs.

Whilst it is strange I'm not complaining, he is a great signing for us.

Andy74
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
It is really strange situation. Firstly how could he not find a club in the summer, his quality was evident form the first game he played for us. Secondly, he could have chosen to call a lower Championship club/upper League 1 club and earned more than the 4/5k he get at Hibs.

Whilst it is strange I'm not complaining, he is a great signing for us.

Graham Barrett must have loved working with Yogi and did a tremendous sales job.

I wonder if he got a fee? :greengrin

IWasThere2016
04-12-2009, 04:27 PM
It is really strange situation. Firstly how could he not find a club in the summer, his quality was evident form the first game he played for us. Secondly, he could have chosen to call a lower Championship club/upper League 1 club and earned more than the 4/5k he get at Hibs. Whilst it is strange I'm not complaining, he is a great signing for us.

Same could be said for Mikey Stewart :duck:

Woody1985
04-12-2009, 04:27 PM

No!

On a serious note I'd take him in a second for Hibs but he's pish at the level he's at IMO.

Green Mikey
04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Graham Barrett must have loved working with Yogi and did a tremendous sales job.

I wonder if he got a fee? :greengrin

A fee? Not if Petrie was involved:greengrin

Barrett is a legend. He'll not make a great agent if he keeps sending ex Champs League players to the SPL though.

Rossco1875
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
A fee? Not if Petrie was involved:greengrin

Barrett is a legend. He'll not make a great agent if he keeps sending ex Champs League players to the SPL though.

I will sing his praises if he sends them down easter road :greengrin

Baw187
04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
No!

On a serious note I'd take him in a second for Hibs but he's pish at the level he's at IMO.

100% agree with you there. He's baws for Liverpool but he'd tear the SPL a new hoop!