PDA

View Full Version : What a difference 2 years can make

VegasHibby
03-12-2009, 12:49 AM
2 years ago to the day Collins and team went down 3-1 to Aberdeen. Seems like a lot longer.
For some reason I saved this page(see link) in my "favourites" I presume to read later but forgot all about it and coincidentally opened it up 2 years from the date and it got me thinking the difference 2 years can make. Not sure where in the league we were placed at that time,anyone know ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7123994.stm

Speedy
03-12-2009, 12:52 AM
3rd :cool2:

hibs0666
03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
2 years ago to the day Collins and team went down 3-1 to Aberdeen. Seems like a lot longer.
For some reason I saved this page(see link) in my "favourites" I presume to read later but forgot all about it and coincidentally opened it up 2 years from the date and it got me thinking the difference 2 years can make. Not sure where in the league we were placed at that time,anyone know ?

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_3&workingDate=2007-12-2

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
What a difference one year makes. The whole club is on the up and Yogi is the man! :notworthy:Long may it continue!

Billychaotic182
03-12-2009, 12:58 AM
was that the game we played McCann at CH?

VegasHibby
03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
3rd :cool2:

3rd from bottom ? :greengrin

joe_hfc
03-12-2009, 03:20 AM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_3&workingDate=2007-12-2

Interesting that you posted that. it shows (if for arguements sake we get 4 points from our next 2 games and the OF do the same) then we are only 3 points better than we were, and Celtic and Rangers are only 2 points worse off. Shows the difference what scraping the odd point here and there, or losing the odd silly point can do to peoples perceptions of teams seasons!

The_Todd
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
From the article:

Third-placed Hibs now lie five points behind Rangers

So basically, I assume Hibs were 2 points off top then after they won and we lost it streched to 5. So not too far off where we are now, really.

KWJ
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Yeah alongside Hogg. Absolutely ridiculous decision and destroyed McCann's confidence.

poolman
03-12-2009, 08:32 AM

:rolleyes: Aye it was

Tactical lunacy :bitchy:

MacBean
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
how many games into the season was this?!

is this a preminition of saturday :bitchy::bitchy:

RIP
03-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Yeah alongside Hogg. Absolutely ridiculous decision and destroyed McCann's confidence.

Well in Bamba's impending absence is it true that some fans are lobbying for bringing in the the slighly built, inexperienced reserve Paul Hanlon at CH?

He might have played CH for Scotland Youths but at least KM was regularly playing first team football at that time

basehibby
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
What difference??? The top seven places of the SPL are IDENTICAL!

Seriously, that is an interesting coincidence which begs for comparison. From what I remember of that season, performances on the park had been far from convincing and the league position somewhat flattered us.

The same could almost be said of this season - but the big difference for me is that we seem to have a unified dressing room under Yogi as well as a definate idea of what he is trying to achieve and a sense that the best is yet to come of this side. This was not the case at that time under Collins as most Hibs fans were genuinely surprised at the form of the team, having just seen it shorn of Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Killen and Sproule with many of their replacements being of unconvincing quality to say the least.

This time around the general feeling is one of optimism - and quite rightly so. But looking at that table from 2 years back is as big a wake up call as you could ask for - there is no room for complacency as the toughest bits of the season are yet to come and nothing has been achieved up to now.

Billy Whizz
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Looking at the squad that day of 18 players, at least 12 of them don't play now for Hibs. Further to that, at least another 3 (Makalamby, McCann and Stevenson) don't feature regularly.
Only Hogg and Zemmama are what you would call regulars!
2 out of 18!!!!!
Show you how bad that team were. A big turnover in 2 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7120210.stm

Green Mikey
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Well in Bamba's impending absence is it true that some fans are lobbying for bringing in the the slighly built, inexperienced reserve Paul Hanlon at CH?

He might have played CH for Scotland Youths but at least KM was regularly playing first team football at that time

Hanlon is a decent build definitely not 'slight' and has played CH many times. If Hanlon plays CH in Bamba's absence it makes sense. KM is a small fullback with no experience of playing CH, it was a ridiculous decision from Collins.

MacBean
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Think i might put a £10 on this in a fortnight's time! baaaaad feeling about that fixture!

sahib
03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
What a difference one year makes. The whole club is on the up and Yogi is the man! :notworthy:Long may it continue!

I am more struck by the similarities. How we bounce back after our unbeaten run ends will show the difference.

Craig_in_Prague
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I am more struck by the similarities. How we bounce back after our unbeaten run ends will show the difference.

sorry, but what paul tosh.

Anyone that thinks this team / current status under Yogi is very similar to Collins and his team, most certainly are 'glass half empty' people, or to be harsh, need a nurse.

Collins team did have luck in many games.
Yogi's team are wise, can work hard & play good stuff as well.

Collins signed Brian Kerr.
Yogi signed Liam Miller.

Collins messed about with formations most weeks.
Yogi has a pretty settled outfit.

Collins man management skills were always in doubt, even early in his reign.
Yogi clearly, is a very good man manager.

ETC.

of course this team will have a few slip ups and a bad spell - but the quality in both management and the team is evident.

GGTTH
:notworthy:

hfc rd
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
With Yogi in charge, this hibs team is going forward rather than our jealous neighbours who are going backwards and have an owner that doesn't give a hell about them.

The_Todd
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Yogi signed Liam Miller.

I don't think Collins and Yogi can be judged on this, our budget seems an awful lot more accommodating now than it was then.

Craig_in_Prague
04-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think Collins and Yogi can be judged on this, our budget seems an awful lot more accommodating now than it was then.

I would disagree there.
Collins brought in O'Brien - probably top earner.
He brought in many players, nearly every one was garbage.

Franck is God
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I Think it is pointless looking back and comparing players signed and tactics used.

I was a massive JC fan and was disappointed that the board didn't/couldn't back him in the way they did with Mixu and Yogi but that is now in the past.

We are currently 2 points off the lead in the SPL and have a playing budget in excess of all others outside the Old Firm (and maybe still Hearts), we are playing decent if not spectacular football and are on a good unbeaten run. I can only see positives around the club at the moment and that has to be a good thing.

VegasHibby
04-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Seriously, that is an interesting coincidence which begs for comparison. From what I remember of that season, performances on the park had been far from convincing and the league position somewhat flattered us.

The same could almost be said of this season - but the big difference for me is that we seem to have a unified dressing room under Yogi as well as a definate idea of what he is trying to achieve and a sense that the best is yet to come of this side. This was not the case at that time under Collins as most Hibs fans were genuinely surprised at the form of the team, having just seen it shorn of Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Killen and Sproule with many of their replacements being of unconvincing quality to say the least.

This time around the general feeling is one of optimism - and quite rightly so. But looking at that table from 2 years back is as big a wake up call as you could ask for - there is no room for complacency as the toughest bits of the season are yet to come and nothing has been achieved up to now.

As well as optimism the player today are much more committed to winning games. Yogi also has the respect of the players which Collins never had. And even though 2 years ago we were in the same position the circumstances are vastly different.

jacomo
04-12-2009, 10:53 PM

:agree:

Hibs do seem to have a strong sense of direction now, and it seems that this team will improve.

All credit to Yogi on this, though he has had more money than Collins.

sahib
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Anyone that thinks this team / current status under Yogi is very similar to Collins and his team, most certainly are 'glass half empty' people, or to be harsh, need a nurse.

Collins team did have luck in many games.
Yogi's team are wise, can work hard & play good stuff as well.

Yogi signed Liam Miller.

Collins messed about with formations most weeks.
Yogi has a pretty settled outfit.

Collins man management skills were always in doubt, even early in his reign.
Yogi clearly, is a very good man manager.

ETC.

of course this team will have a few slip ups and a bad spell - but the quality in both management and the team is evident.

GGTTH
:notworthy:

I am sure you would have given a spirited defence of Collins team if I had criticised them when they were lying top three.

Baw187
04-12-2009, 11:50 PM
The main stat, looking at that league table from 2 years ago is that we had let in 18 goals. Twice the amount we've let in this season !!

To have that many points, letting in that many goals, indicates the propensity for high levels of variance. In the poker world, we call this running good and we were relying on a lot of luck for the results to keep falling in our favour.

I always felt that season that we were punching above our weight. Although I don't feel we're playing that well this season at times, we appear to be a lot more in control of our own destiny given that first and foremost, we don't let in many goals and don't rely on a score more than them type approach, which is proven to be unsustainable. When you go through a drier patch scoring goals, as teams always do, you still leak goals and you go on the type of poor run we did that season.