PDA

View Full Version : What position will Hibs finish in the SPL?

AugustaHibs
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
What position will we be after the last day of the season?

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
What position will we be after the last day of the season?

Can't vote on this as it's still far too early to say. Jan trans window, injuries, suspensions, heavy pitches will all have a big impact. I might be more inclined to speculate mid-feb.

princecfl
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
1st and why not?!

will never see such a poor old firm again and what were 2 points off the pace and lets be honest thats without playin very well in mot of the games so far.

abit of belief and some improved performances from mr stokes,benji and a fit zemmama we have a realistic chance imho

:flag:

The_Todd
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
3rd or 4th.

I'll go with 3rd cos I'm an optimistic so and so.

cwilliamson85
02-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Am I not the only person on here that thinks the governing bodies of Scottish football will find a way to strip us (or any other SPL team) of the title. Match fixing scandals, playing a player without a visa.

I honestly feel Scottish football is that corrupt towards the old firm.

I said 4th BTW.

princecfl
02-12-2009, 04:25 PM
nothing but atleast 3rd would be an acceptable return for the start weve had.also maybe a couple of signings in jan,poss loans from aresenal?, would put the finishing touches on the squad.the only potential loss is bamba but we have hanlon and mccann to return so i think were pretty well covered

Baw187
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Am I not the only person on here that thinks the governing bodies of Scottish football will find a way to strip us (or any other SPL team) of the title. Match fixing scandals, playing a player without a visa.

I said 4th BTW.

Nice to hear from you again Vlad!

Ritchie
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM

I said 4th BTW.

all these conspiracy theories are nonsense...... the type of thing a jambo would think.

The_Todd
02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Nice to hear from you again Vlad!

:rotflmao:

"Strip" us of the title? The footballing authorities in Scotland are highly incompetent I'll give you that, but if we don't win the title (which we won't) then it's because at the end of the day we lacked the strength in depth both OF teams have not because the SFA decided we're not allowed to win it. The gap is closing, just not as quickly as some folk think.

cwilliamson85
02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
all these conspiracy theories are nonsense...... the type of thing a jambo would think.

How very dare you.

Don’t put me in with that dirrrty lot!

How very dare you
:wink:

Golden Bear
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Ok - own up - who was the joker that voted 12th?!

:faf:

SteveHFC
02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I think hibs will do something this season.

ArabHibee
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I think hibs will do something this season.

Don't think that's the next line of the song, think it's

"That tonight's gonna be a good night"

:tee hee:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok - own up - who was the joker that voted 12th?!

:faf:

but Eddie May told everyone that Falkirk are technically superior to Hibs...

:dunno:

.Sean.
02-12-2009, 05:06 PM
3rd and a long, long overduue SC win would do :greengrin

Keith_M
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Can't believe so many people voted 1st or 2nd.

I would have put this down to a wind-up from some of our maroon tinted guests but I don't think there's that many.

Broken Gnome
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
4th. As much as some have a feeling that Hibs could do something really laudable this season....

... i have the overriding feeling that although there is no reason why Hibs shouldn't finish third, or even have a half decent effort at 2nd, that something's going to go t!ts up.

A pessimist is never disappointed.

Sean1875
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
3rd, no chance well finish any higher.

Beefster
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
4th. United will be our major competition this year.

Baw187
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I put 1st. A little optimism never hurt anyone and for the first time, it looks possible - whether it's probable is the debate.

Lets look at the facts.

We're not at our best. Neither are the OF, and we are all on a par.

If we hit our best, which I think we will with a little January investment and some continued tinkering, we'll push on. Lets not forget, Deek puts that one in against Utd and Wotherspoon's effort against Celtic goes in, we're top. It's that borderline.

What I can't see happening (for the first time ever) is us starting to go on a winless streak. We look really hard to beat so with that as a base, we will win and draw most of our games and, as I say, if we do hit some kind of form, we'll go on winning runs. Celtic and Rangers don't look capable of that at the moment.

So - lets keep the faith and encourage our boys on to title glory. :dizzy:

PS - just gies the Scottish Cup and that'll do !!

patlowe
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I put 1st. A little optimism never hurt anyone and for the first time, it looks possible - whether it's probable is the debate.

Lets look at the facts.

We're not at our best. Neither are the OF, and we are all on a par.

If we hit our best, which I think we will with a little January investment and some continued tinkering, we'll push on. Lets not forget, Deek puts that one in against Utd and Wotherspoon's effort against Celtic goes in, we're top. It's that borderline.

What I can't see happening (for the first time ever) is us starting to go on a winless streak. We look really hard to beat so with that as a base, we will win and draw most of our games and, as I say, if we do hit some kind of form, we'll go on winning runs. Celtic and Rangers don't look capable of that at the moment.

So - lets keep the faith and encourage our boys on to title glory. :dizzy:

PS - just gies the Scottish Cup and that'll do !!

That's all we would have needed to be top right now. Ifs and buts I suppose but it says a lot given that we're not really playing all that convincingly.

Minder
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Rantic are there for the taking and we have had the rub of the green so far. Voted for 2nd, had feeling before season started we would have a goood year.

iwasthere1972
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I would be thoroughly disappointed if we didn't claim 3rd spot when you consider how poor some of the other teams are. The only thing that would soften the blow if we finished below 3rd is parading that Scottish Cup down Leith.

wee 162
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Can't believe so many people voted 1st or 2nd.

I would have put this down to a wind-up from some of our maroon tinted guests but I don't think there's that many.

I went for 1st. If we play just a bit better than we have up till now we'll win the league. If Rangers (unlikely) or Celtic (more likely) improve then possibly not, but I've seen enough from Hibs to say there should be a lot more to come.

It's optimistic, but tbh the one I can't understand is people voting 2nd. Both OF sides are rank. If you can finish ahead of one you can finish ahead of the other afaic.

Broken Gnome
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I went for 1st. If we play just a bit better than we have up till now we'll win the league. If Rangers (unlikely) or Celtic (more likely) improve then possibly not, but I've seen enough from Hibs to say there should be a lot more to come.

It's optimistic, but tbh the one I can't understand is people voting 2nd. Both OF sides are rank. If you can finish ahead of one you can finish ahead of the other afaic.

That attitude is madness to be fair.

HibbyAndy
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
There's something magical happening down Easter Rd way...

Westie1875
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
1st and a scottish cup please (I dinnae want much :wink:)

Storar
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
voted 2nd by mistake, meant to put 1st.

Hibs are going to win the League this year:agree:

NOLA
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
i've gone for 4th, think we might lose points in january.

wee 162
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
That attitude is madness to be fair.

We're two points of the top of the league. Our best creative player imo (Zemmama) has only started 6 of our 13 games. The defence has sometimes been a bit scruffy but we're hardly conceding any goals. And the only striker we've got who is even close to clicking is Riordan.

There's plenty of grounds for optimism afaic. Equally, if none of that gets fixed or improves, and in fact deteriorates we could easily slip down the league.

Our form up till now has us 2 points off the top of the league.

heretoday
02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
We are going to do it. Can you imagine how fantastic that is going to be? The Flag......

Baw187
02-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Let's be honest, the Yams are going to have a field day with this. I wouldn't be surprised if extracts from here end up being scoffed at on skintback.

I'm not for caring though. I stand by my beliefs!

Storar
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Let's be honest, the Yams are going to have a field day with this. I wouldn't be surprised if extracts from here end up being scoffed at on skintback.

I'm not for caring though. I stand by my beliefs!

So what! Half the people are probably doing it for that very reason!

HibbyAndy
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Hibs will split the auld firm

Baw187
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
So what! Half the people are probably doing it for that very reason!

Indeed. We've got more reason to talk up our chances than they've ever had in recent years and it hasnae stopped them spouting garbage.

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
12th and put out of the cup by Irvine.

:grr:

Seriously? 4th with a good cup run.

The OF are going to pull away once they are out of Europe. Hibs, Dundee Utd, etc. have a significant advantage at present because the OF have to play these games in Europe, which stretches their squad. Let's see where everyone is at the end of January.

:wink:

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
hate to be saying this but although we have started very well i reckon dundee united will push us for thirs spot..although celtic and rangers are reachable also...anything could happen from dare i say it 1st to 4th...probs 3rd or 4th though

hibsfan7
02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
After what i haves seen of the old firm 1st

MWHIBBIES
02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Went for 3rd but if u can still qualify for europe by finishing 4th ill be fine with that.
Ohh and the scottish cup would be nice.

holyrood hibbie
03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
As much as I want us in the top two, its quite unrealistic.

I went for forth as a saftey netting, but I know we will finish third or forth, GGTTH

Andy74
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
There;s a lot of talk about hibs not playing to their potential and if we did we'd be 1st or 2nd.

Sorry, but if the OF played to their potential they'd be a distance ahead!

heretoday
03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I really think Hibs can win the League. All they have to do is believe in themselves.

Hughes is a brilliant manager and we should appreciate him while we can.

He will be bound for the south eventually, I reckon.

CorrieHibs
03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I said at the start of the season i would be happy to finish 5th play good football and have a good SC run only cos of the mess mixu left us in. Now yogi is in charged and the good job he is doing all be it not playing amazing but still winning. I think we can finish 3rd and hopefully a good SC run. We've got a good chance of that with the ugly sisters so bad and Hearts playing the sheep away. Maybe this is our year. :thumbsup:

Baw187
03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
There;s a lot of talk about hibs not playing to their potential and if we did we'd be 1st or 2nd.

Sorry, but if the OF played to their potential they'd be a distance ahead!

Aye but the OF don't have it in their locker this year, Andy. The single most important thing that makes me think it's different for us this year is that we aren't letting in cheap goals.... well apart from that one in Paisly and the one at Motherwell (maybe it's cause we're there) !!

If we continue to play with the goal of not loosing games, we've got more than enough up front to get us the goals. Celtic leak goals, and Rangers without Bougerra struggle too.

MacBean
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Aye but the OF don't have it in their locker this year, Andy. The single most important thing that makes me think it's different for us this year is that we aren't letting in cheap goals.... well apart from that one in Paisly and the one at Motherwell (maybe it's cause we're there) !!

If we continue to play with the goal of not loosing games, we've got more than enough up front to get us the goals. Celtic leak goals, and Rangers without Bougerra struggle too.

Yeah Rangers seem to struggle quite a bit without bougherra. Like us with Bamba, they will be missing him in January for a month and hopefully He'll return late again :wink:

It is a possibility that Rangers will struggle in January, especially if they have a Firesale!!

erin go bragh
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
had to go for 1st as ive got a £10 on us at 150/1[sure we are down to 20/1 with some bookies:wink: cmon the double:greengrin

JackRegan
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I said on here 4 weeks ago that Hibs have their best chance ever of winning the league this year.

Rangers will have a firesale. Celtic, while improving are very much still at the "jury out" stage.

however, Dundee United have a chance as well.

That said, I still think Celtic will strengthen a bit in January and it will be enough to see us take the title by about 6 points.

Hibs will come 2nd.

HibbyAndy
03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I said on here 4 weeks ago that Hibs have their best chance ever of winning the league this year.

Rangers will have a firesale. Celtic, while improving are very much still at the "jury out" stage.

however, Dundee United have a chance as well.

That said, I still think Celtic will strengthen a bit in January and it will be enough to see us take the title by about 6 points.

Hibs will come 2nd.

:pray:

The Sea-gull
03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Happy hat on = 2nd - the old firm are gash and "there for the taking" but it might be a bit much to expect both to falter badly enough for us to win it. Plus others could argue, in Utd's case (just as good) Motherwell's and Aberdeen's (almost as good), a case for their own credentials to do as well as us.

Realist hat on = 3rd - 5th - we are doing well without playing well so we will either start to pick up more points if we can play better or start to get "found out". Think there could be a fine line between 3rd and 6th this season, unless someone puts a run together over the winter while others are struck by loss of form and inconsistency.

Negative hat = on 6th - that's where we always finish! We will crumble in Dec and Jan as we always do. We have been lucky so far, had a favourable round of fixtures.

Worst fear = bottom 6 - mass exodous of players in Jan, Yogi falls out with Petrie and Williamson returns as boss.

December is a HUGE month for us as there is some really tough away games and the home ones look a bit tougher than what we have had thus far. If we can pick up a minimum of 10 points from the 18 available starting against M'well on Saturday through to the Hearts game on Jan 3rd, we can then start speculating about how well we might do this season.

hfc rd
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
A top 4 finish with the Scottish Cup would do me fine. As long as we get into Europe, that will be a season to remember.

Malthibby
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
1st for the Hibees & 12th for the Jambos.
It may be the drugs.
And Susan Boyle for Miss World.
It is the drugs, ain't it?
GG

ian cruise
03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
ive said since the start of the the season i'd be made up if we could get 3rd but after seeing how far rangers have declined i dont see why 2nd isnt a realistic target. it wouldnt be easy but it wont be impossible.

certainly no worse than 4th.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm happy to take each game as it comes. The most important game of the season is the next game and the most important game after that is the next one to follow.

Yours sincerely,

Gael Cliche

sixtwo
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
We are almost at christmas and we are one win away from top spot in the league.:agree: We have a good squad and money to spend in January. We have a manager who has ambition and the courage to dream. :thumbsup:
Celtic are good but are going through a transitional period. Rangers are decent but I believe it will be a rocky road ahead for them and it will get worse before it gets better for them. DUFC should realistically be our main rivals for 3rd spot if you buy into the theory the league is a two horse race. They will lose 2 or 3 key players in Jan (inc their keeper) and their manager might also head out the door.:wink:

I am gonna put my cards on the table and say we can do it. lets go for it! lets take it to them. Lets invest in january and lets give it our best shot!

were gonna top the league next year and win the scottish flag as the hibs go marching on!

The_Todd
04-12-2009, 08:00 AM
When I was in school, my dad always told me to aim for A grades in subjects I could probably only expect a B or C in just to make sure I attained that B grade at the least.

Yogi and the players should do the same. They should be privately aiming for 1st just to make sure we make 3rd ours. We won't win the league, and by the end of the season the gap will be there, but let's create a gap over the chasing pack.

Hibs On Tour
04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
For all I wish otherwise, seems a few on here have the green-tinted specs on. Both the OF have bigger, deeper squads with more experience than we have and that *will* count over the course of a season. If anyone has any doubt of that perhaps scan the history books for some backup to this. We don't have the depth of squad to cover for suspensions and injuries [or even rotation through drops in form etc] that they both do. Yes, fully agree both are as pish as I can ever recall them being but season-wise that strength will show through and they'll drop less points than we will.

OF 1st and 2nd. Us 3rd. DU 4th.

We're in my mind a far stronger overall outfit than DU. Luck and belief will undoubtedly play a part so ultimately who knows but I think that 3rd is the most reaslistic outcome this season. And that is hardly a failure IMHO, particularly after the past couple of years.

However, as per some other posts, Yogi should be convincing all the players that 1st is realistic and within their grasp. Confidence can win success as we see most seasons from a promoted team going on a run in the EPL and finishing far higher 1st season than you'd expect. On a game-by-game basis, we can clearly beat anyone.

Killiehibbie
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM
If one or other of the weegies continue dropping points every week we will have the closest finish for years. Yogi must be telling the players to go out keep getting results and who knows.

wee 162
04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
For all I wish otherwise, seems a few on here have the green-tinted specs on. Both the OF have bigger, deeper squads with more experience than we have and that *will* count over the course of a season. If anyone has any doubt of that perhaps scan the history books for some backup to this. We don't have the depth of squad to cover for suspensions and injuries [or even rotation through drops in form etc] that they both do. Yes, fully agree both are as pish as I can ever recall them being but season-wise that strength will show through and they'll drop less points than we will.

OF 1st and 2nd. Us 3rd. DU 4th.

We're in my mind a far stronger overall outfit than DU. Luck and belief will undoubtedly play a part so ultimately who knows but I think that 3rd is the most reaslistic outcome this season. And that is hardly a failure IMHO, particularly after the past couple of years.

However, as per some other posts, Yogi should be convincing all the players that 1st is realistic and within their grasp. Confidence can win success as we see most seasons from a promoted team going on a run in the EPL and finishing far higher 1st season than you'd expect. On a game-by-game basis, we can clearly beat anyone.

Celtic I'd accept that. Rangers? Really?

1 Allan McGregor (G)
2 Maurice Edu (M)
3 David Weir (D)
4 Pedro Mendes (M)
5 Sasa Papac (D)
6 Lee McCulloch (F)
7 Steve Davis (M)
8 Kevin Thomson (M)
9 Kris Boyd (F)
10 Nacho Novo (F)
14 Steven Naismith (F)
16 Steven Whittaker (M)
18 Kenny Miller (F)
20 DaMarcus Beasley (M)
21 Kirk Broadfoot (D)
24 Madjid Bougherra (D)
25 Neil Alexander (G)
26 Steven Smith (D)
27 Kyle Lafferty (F)
29 John Fleck (F)
41 Scott Gallacher (G)
42 Alan Lowing (D)
43 Steven Lennon (M)
44 Paul Emslie (M)
45 Rory Loy (F)
48 Andrew Little (F)
52 Andrew Shinnie (M)
61 Mark Weir (G)
64 Kyle Hutton
66 Danny Wilson (D)
67 Jamie Ness (M)
69 Greg Wylde (M)

They've got 18 players I would describe as experienced.

500miles
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I went for 1st. Not because that's what I think the outcome will be, but for the longer we think that we can the league, the more determined we will be in each match IMO.

hibiedude
04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
we'll be nowhere near the oldfirm come end of the season so 3rd spot is the target we should be aiming for.

anything else will be a bonus