PDA

View Full Version : Alan Muir the ref.

greenlex
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I was hearing so much negativity about his performance at Fir park on Saturday.
Craig Potter giving him one out of ten and the Motherwell left fielder writing to Shug Dallas. Anyhoo after watching the highlights the only decision he got wrong was Prince Bawbags first booking. The rest were spot on. The most contentious was Swanstons sending off. Swanston went in with feet high missing the ball going over it and taking the man. Straight red IMO so what's Potters problem with it. If you are going to challenge like that you have to make sure you get the ball. Nothing like a shocker from the ref.

TheBall'sRound
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I was hearing so much negativity about his performance at Fir park on Saturday.
Craig Potter giving him one out of ten and the Motherwell left fielder writing to Shug Dallas. Anyhoo after watching the highlights the only decision he got wrong was Prince Bawbags first booking. The rest were spot on. The most contentious was Swanstons sending off. Swanston went in with feet high missing the ball going over it and taking the man. Straight red IMO so what's Potters problem with it. If you are going to challenge like that you have to make sure you get the ball. Nothing like a shocker from the ref.

I have to admit I watched the spl roundup last night on Sky and the commentators were talking up the ref's role in the "drama" - Yeah Bauben's first booking was harsh but it always completely mystifies me that players who have been booked then go and "tackle" in the manner that he proceeded to do. Definitely a second yellow.

I also can't find fault with Swanson's red card. It was a stupid challenge which he had little chance of winning and seemed to involve a fair amount of malice.

Overall, this has only become an issue because Gannon also spoke out against the ref when he had no need to. The novelty of that has made it a story but, like the guy who sent off the two sheep at ER, the only mistake he made was one soft booking.

Levein will moan about refs every week - no surprise considering how terrible his team's disciplinary record is - but maybe he should have a word with his players rather than mouthing off to the media?

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
If we had a player sent off for Swanson's slider then I would have been none too happy. From the highlights [ and that is never a substitute for being there] Bauben looked to have had two tackles in the whole game. There would appear to be a difference in what counts as a foul and what counts as a booking. I think that when referees are booking players on " intent" or their interpretation of intent, then we are not far away from mindcrime.

Bayern Bru
01-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Buaben's second yellow was dubious. From the highlights, it doesn't look like a dangerous tackle, he just catches him slightly. Free kick but a booking? Even a talking to would have sufficed - although you have to say he could have avoided the first yellow for dissent.

He looked a bit cold running around our sports fields today with the rest of the Arabs...least he was still on the pitch....

:offski:

truehibernian
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Ian Brines is the ref this Saturday for the Well game. Good omen is that he was the whistler three times for us last season and we never lost. No red cards either, but seems to have it in for big Sol.......booked him in every game. Decent ref though for a must win game.

Iggy Pope
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Similairly I cannot fathom the commentary stooshie (although there hasn't been a lot said since) about Mark Kerr's two yellows against the Huns.
Probably a shade lucky not to get a straight red for the first when he lost control of the ball and then dived in at his grounded opponent.

Not big on referees, oh no, but I think they both got it right on Saturday.

And as Levein himself has admitted his left winger should really have walked as well.

So I changed my mind. Ref's an A-hole.

maturehibby
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
that huddy refereed us against Morton last season and single handed put us out the cup

GC
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
that huddy refereed us against Morton last season and single handed put us out the cup

He was dodgy but make no mistake it was the players that put us out the cup.