PDA

View Full Version : NHC cheeky oirish

cabbageandribs1875
30-11-2009, 12:21 PM
requesting a place at the WC finals next year

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8386207.stm

maybe we should ask for a place as well :agree: we could say we weren't happy with burley and could we play the group games again :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
30-11-2009, 12:23 PM
FFS are they still bleating about this?

Calvin
30-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I felt sorry for them at the time, they're taking the proverbial now though.

Bad Martini
30-11-2009, 12:26 PM
They got cheated. Simple.

We got cheated against Italy when instead of us getting the ball and getting what we needed, THEY cheated us out a free-kick, scored and ****ed up our campaign.

We get on with it. The Irish are starting to sound decidely like England did when auld Diego Armando skelped the ball in the net....FFS, ye's lost....:grr:

ENDOF

Ritchie
30-11-2009, 12:28 PM
imagine it was scotland that it happened too.... im sure we'd all be the same. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
30-11-2009, 12:29 PM
FFS are they still bleating about this?

i'm more surprised at the fact blatter is even considering taking it to the committee
"I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee," said Blatter.

Regarding the Republic's case, the president added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed.

Danderhall Hibs
30-11-2009, 12:31 PM
i'm more surprised at the fact blatter is even considering taking it to the committee
"I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee," said Blatter.

Regarding the Republic's case, the president added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed.

That's just so they can have a laugh at the Board meeting. It'll be dealt with at the end under AOB (not Alan O'Brien).

oxymoron
30-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Ireland - yes, you got cheated, it was blatant but the only difference between that and the numerous other times it happens to the rest of us, was the cameras caught it so well. Get over yourselves and move on. :yawn:

Wembley67
30-11-2009, 12:36 PM
embarrassing

Bayern Bru
30-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I was supporting ROI on the night and was understandably gutted but for pity's sake. A 33 team world cup? Is one group just going to have 5 teams instead of 4? Or will they invite the CR's along as well and have 4.25 teams in each group?

It'll never happen. Much as I'd love to support ROI in the world cup, I can't see how they're going to get in.

Madness.

Andy74
30-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

maybe we should ask for a place as well :agree: we could say we weren't happy with burley and could we play the group games again :thumbsup:

You would think they were in the world cup before the handball - they weren't - they were level and still had the game to win somehow.

Austinho
30-11-2009, 12:52 PM
The fact is, at no point during the France game, (or the entire campaign for that matter) were Ireland ever in a position where they were going to qualify.

They didn't have guaranteed qualification taken away from them, they were only cheated out of a chance to qualify. Just like Scotland in the dying moments of the Italy game.

Get over it.

Dashing Bob S
30-11-2009, 12:53 PM
If this came to pass, and I know club sides aren't admitted, but wouldn't there be a strong case for Hearts coming in, on the basis of their two world war victories?

Sir David Gray
30-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I felt really sorry for them at the time, they deserved to beat France in Paris and although it was never going to happen, I think FIFA should have ordered a replay.

They ruled that out though and as sickening as it obviously is, the Irish just have to move on now and take out their frustrations on the teams that are in their Euro 2012 qualifying group and make sure they qualify for that.

They won't be going to South Africa, they just have to accept it.

Asking for an extra place at the World Cup is just ridiculous.

rubber mal
30-11-2009, 01:04 PM
The fact is, at no point during the France game, (or the entire campaign for that matter) were Ireland ever in a position where they were going to qualify.

They didn't have guaranteed qualification taken away from them, they were only cheated out of a chance to qualify. Just like Scotland in the dying moments of the Italy game.

Get over it.

Absolutely spot on. They're just making fools of themselves now.

lapsedhibee
30-11-2009, 01:07 PM
If this came to pass, and I know club sides aren't admitted, but wouldn't there be a strong case for Hearts coming in, on the basis of their two world war victories?

Are Hertz still officially that though? Wasn't mere 'football club' status a thing they left behind along with Hubz as genuine rivals, etc etc etc? :dunno:

Jack
30-11-2009, 01:14 PM
33 countries in the groups, then 34 if Costa Rica are included, then every country that didn’t qualify goes through every second of recorded play in their qualifying matches and appeals against something dodgy.

They'd be as well starting qualifying again – with video evidence! :devil:

Baader
30-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Pretty embarrassing. Cheating happens all the time. Might not like it but you just have to move on. As said before they still had to actually score to win the tie...

iwasthere1972
30-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Even before the handball the match was at stalemate. There's no way that FIFA will consider the Irish request. One for the shredder.

However if a miracle is performed and the Irish are invited to South Africa then Scotland only have to whisper Caldwell (twice) in Blatter's ear for us to take 34th spot. :agree:

Maybe Petrie could take up the Hibs cause.

God Petrie
30-11-2009, 01:57 PM

We got cheated against Italy when instead of us getting the ball and getting what we needed, THEY cheated us out a free-kick, scored and ****ed up our campaign.

We get on with it. The Irish are starting to sound decidely like England did when auld Diego Armando skelped the ball in the net....FFS, ye's lost....:grr:

ENDOF

Scotland should have played better away against Georgia but we bottled it. Ireland should have played better at home against France and they would have went through.

This constant whinging about the handball decision is pathetic and displays a complete lack of maturity and class.

Woody1985
30-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Scotland should have played better away against Georgia but we bottled it. Ireland should have played better at home against France and they would have went through.

This constant whinging about the handball decision is pathetic and displays a complete lack of maturity and class.

I disagree. Whilst I agree with others that this isn't going to go anywhere at least they are trying to stand up for themselves and put this to FIFA rather than sitting back and letting them **** over the smaller nations for the sake of sponsors and their own self interest.

The Irish may not have a valid reason as explained already, they weren't in a winning position and the rules state that games cannot be replayed. I still think they should keep it in the public eye and not let it be swept under the carpet.

Action like this will force change, or at least get people thinking, it may lead to better refs, video technology etc etc.

They way in which FIFA changed the goal posts on seeding was a disgrace and should have been challenged more robustly. Seeding does have it's benefits as it usually ensures the strongest teams are kept in the tournament but IMO it is in place to keep the most wealthy clubs/countries in the tournament.

I think it was stated that France would generate around 1 billion quid for their economy through qualifying. I'm sure Platini would have been aware of this.

A slight, possible major tangent, but ironcially the Irish were practically forced to sign the EU constitution 2nd time round for economic reasons. This would have helped their country a lot had they qualified.

Dunbar Hibee
30-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Not really embarassing .. I think theyv got the right to complain and find any way in to be honest.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Not really embarassing .. I think theyv got the right to complain and find any way in to be honest.

And, if they were successful, Georgia would then have a right to request na review of the highly dubious penalty given against them in the qualifiers..... against Ireland.

Slippery slope.

Baader
30-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Think their only realistic argument is for the use of video technology in future.

Winston Ingram
30-11-2009, 03:57 PM

That's embarrassing.

Dunbar Hibee
30-11-2009, 04:15 PM
That's embarrassing.

Not really.

hibztilltheend
30-11-2009, 05:24 PM
its iwelumos fault we're not going :grr::devil:

Green_one
30-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Is it too late for Scotland to be team 35?

I am sure we can come up with some lame excuse.

Lets spoil the whole competition because a couple of teams feel hard done by.

If you recall that FIFA is a body which expected a side to play in a stadium recently converted from an execution camp then they are unlikely to bend for the Irish.

Honestly guys, you are embarrassing yourselves. Let it be.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 06:42 PM
its iwelumos fault we're not going :grr::devil:

Behave.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Think their only realistic argument is for the use of video technology in future.

Its just been announced that video evidence will be used in future, Ron Jeremy is now joint top with Frank McAvennie in the scoring charts.:wink:

sh00byd00
30-11-2009, 06:52 PM
imagine it was scotland that it happened too.... im sure we'd all be the same. :agree:

Don't think so somehow. We get cheated more often than not when we're playing against the OF, yet you don't hear many people (if any) demanding a replay.

The Irish are becoming embarrassing with their demands and if we're being honest I'm sure the Irish have gotten dubious decisions in the past, yet you don't hear other teams demanding replays et al.

Desperation methinks.

mayo hibee
30-11-2009, 07:07 PM
And, if they were successful, Georgia would then have a right to request na review of the highly dubious penalty given against them in the qualifiers..... against Ireland.

Slippery slope.

I'm not saying that Ireland should be put through to the World Cup (we shouldn't) but if I can clear the above myth up on even one internet messageboard, I'll be happier for it, because its been floating about on every radio phone in/TV football debate/internet messageboard since this whole thing kicked off.

Ireland finished 4 points clear in second in Group 8. So the Georgia result had no bearing on whether Ireland finished second or not.

Georgia finished 6 points adrift at the bottom of the group, so results against them were not counted when ranking the second placed teams. Even if they had beaten Ireland, they would still have finished last in the group.

So, regardless of whether Georgia had won, drawn or lost that game, Ireland would have qualified for the play-offs.

As I said, nothing can or should be changed now, I'm just sick of listening to the above mistruth.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying that Ireland should be put through to the World Cup (we shouldn't) but if I can clear the above myth up on even one internet messageboard, I'll be happier for it, because its been floating about on every radio phone in/TV football debate/internet messageboard since this whole thing kicked off.

Ireland finished 4 points clear in second in Group 8. So the Georgia result had no bearing on whether Ireland finished second or not.

Georgia finished 6 points adrift at the bottom of the group, so results against them were not counted when ranking the second placed teams. Even if they had beaten Ireland, they would still have finished last in the group.

So, regardless of whether Georgia had won, drawn or lost that game, Ireland would have qualified for the play-offs.

As I said, nothing can or should be changed now, I'm just sick of listening to the above mistruth.

You've missed my point. If the FAI get their way and have the game replayed, or whatever, it's then open season on every injustice, perceived or otherwise, that there has ever been on any football pitch. I chose the Georgia game only to illustrate the point that every team suffers, and benefits from, bad decisions and bad luck. That is all. That is not a "mistruth" (sic).

mayo hibee
30-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm not singling you out, nor am I missing your point - the reason the Georgia penalty in particular has come up again and again is because it occured in Ireland's qualifying group and it creates the perception that Ireland only got where they got to by being having a dodgy decision go in their favour, which is not the case.

You may not have meant it like that and to be fair you're just repeating what you've heard elsewhere (Has the Georgia game really been on your mind all year?), but by picking out that game in particular over any other one, that is the perception being created. Why else choose that specific game?

Incidentally (while I'm in the mood for a rant) it also annoys me that Blatter has singled this request out in a way that suggests that the FAI have come out last minute ahead of the executive meeting on Wednesday and made some sort of formal public request to be put through. Not the case at all.

The FAI's quote (regarding a meeting that took place back last week) is as follows:
"A lot was discussed at the meeting and at one stage the FAI asked if Ireland could be accommodated into the World Cup 2010," read the statement.
"Other suggestions were also made to mitigate against further occurrences of such incidents, including the use of additional goal-line assistant referees for Fifa international matches, further use of video technology for matches at the highest level, stronger provisions to discourage players from engaging in such blatant breaches of the laws of the game and provisions to strengthen referee selection for such important matches."

In other words it was mentioned as part of a much wider discussion on the state of football. But it is no surprise that Blatter has focused on this particular comment over the other (rational) elements of the discussion. He is just trying to take the heat off FIFA by attemting to portray the FAI as a bunch of whiners to turn public perception against them, at the same time saving face for his own organisation. Judging by the posts on this thread he is succeeding, proving himself again as a master of PR.

The seeding of the playoff draw was the real crime in all of this.

'Mistruth' is a word by the way - no need for the (sic)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mistruth :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm not singling you out, nor am I missing your point - the reason the Georgia penalty in particular has come up again and again is because it occured in Ireland's qualifying group and it creates the perception that Ireland only got where they got to by being having a dodgy decision go in their favour, which is not the case.

You may not have meant it like that and to be fair you're just repeating what you've heard elsewhere (Has the Georgia game really been on your mind all year?), but by picking out that game in particular over any other one, that is the perception being created. Why else choose that specific game?

Please don't assume what I am perceiving. I chose that game on purpose to illustrate the "what comes around" nature of football, not to suggest that the Irish shouldn't have qualified. That is all.

mayo hibee
30-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm not assuming what you are perceiving, like I said I accept that you individually might not have meant it that way.

My point is that anyone discussing the issue could point to any number of games at all levels where teams suffer because of bad decisions (I think we agree on that much!) but the Georgia game is wheeled out repeatedly because it undoubtedly creates the perception that had Ireland not got a lucky win against Georgia they wouldn't have got to the playoffs in the first place. Which is simply not true.

Now can you not just go and focus on Murray's contract status or Maka's scary drag backs and let me have my rant in peace! :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm not assuming what you are perceiving, like I said I accept that you individually might not have meant it that way.

My point is that anyone discussing the issue could point to any number of games at all levels where teams suffer because of bad decisions (I think we agree on that much!) but the Georgia game is wheeled out repeatedly because it undoubtedly creates the perception that had Ireland not got a lucky win against Georgia they wouldn't have got to the playoffs in the first place. Which is simply not true.

Now can you not just go and focus on Murray's contract status or Maka's scary drag backs and let me have my rant in peace! :greengrin

Knock yourself out....:thumbsup:

sh00byd00
30-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Incidentally (while I'm in the mood for a rant) it also annoys me that Blatter has singled this request out in a way that suggests that the FAI have come out last minute ahead of the executive meeting on Wednesday and made some sort of formal public request to be put through. Not the case at all.

The FAI's quote (regarding a meeting that took place back last week) is as follows:
"A lot was discussed at the meeting and at one stage the FAI asked if Ireland could be accommodated into the World Cup 2010," read the statement.
"Other suggestions were also made to mitigate against further occurrences of such incidents, including the use of additional goal-line assistant referees for Fifa international matches, further use of video technology for matches at the highest level, stronger provisions to discourage players from engaging in such blatant breaches of the laws of the game and provisions to strengthen referee selection for such important matches."

In other words it was mentioned as part of a much wider discussion on the state of football. But it is no surprise that Blatter has focused on this particular comment over the other (rational) elements of the discussion. He is just trying to take the heat off FIFA by attemting to portray the FAI as a bunch of whiners to turn public perception against them, at the same time saving face for his own organisation. Judging by the posts on this thread he is succeeding, proving himself again as a master of PR.

The seeding of the playoff draw was the real crime in all of this.

'Mistruth' is a word by the way - no need for the (sic)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mistruth :greengrin

Don't see anything wrong with him focusing on this because, after all, it's been a fairly high profile topic recently.

If the FAI didn't want it to be taken it out of context, then they shouldn't have put the suggestion forward. Requesting/suggesting such a scenario, no matter how tongue in cheek it was is both idiotic and embarrassing.

Roy Keane's comments don't seem too far fetched with each day that passes.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2009, 08:28 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mistruth[/URL] :greengrin

Not according to Chambers. I know who I would believe... :wink:

lapsedhibee
30-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I was supporting ROI on the night and was understandably gutted but for pity's sake. A 33 team world cup? Is one group just going to have 5 teams instead of 4?
That would be ridiculous. What should happen is that one team who have qualified should make way for Ireland as the 32nd team. I would suggest that England be disqualified on the grounds of their appalling behaviour in the years of the potato famine and opium wars. That seems the fairest all round. :agree:

New Corrie
30-11-2009, 09:13 PM
They've even carted out the most embarrassing man in the World (Bonio) although I think Dougie Vipond might run him cose for that title....anyway dry your eyes...wheengin fuds...delighted yer oot!

Sas_The_Hibby
30-11-2009, 10:07 PM

ENDOF

Funny....I don't remember England ever claiming they should get a replay or be the fifth team in the WC Semis!

Phil MaGlass
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
*** them they are oot.Done and dusted.Complaining twa1s

Andy74
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
If they mention it again they should be banned from the next World Cup.

Woody1985
01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
If they mention it agian they should be banned from the next World Cup.

This might be tounge in cheek but I disagree.

Yes, stop going on about getting in, it's not going to happen.

However, we need real pressure on FIFA to stop ****ing teams around. It is potentially costing FA millions, economies hundreds of millions because of one mistake / a cheat.

Football is now so commercialised that there is no going back and we need to ensure that the results reflect legitimate play.

In Ireland's case, they have potentially lost millions that could have been invested in youth development for years to come, boosted their economy etc etc.

Andy74
01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
This might be tounge in cheek but I disagree.

Yes, stop going on about getting in, it's not going to happen.

However, we need real pressure on FIFA to stop ****ing teams around. It is potentially costing FA millions, economies hundreds of millions because of one mistake / a cheat.

Football is now so commercialised that there is no going back and we need to ensure that the results reflect legitimate play.

In Ireland's case, they have potentially lost millions that could have been invested in youth development for years to come, boosted their economy etc etc.

Football is still a sport and that's life. Ireland would never have got that position if it hadn't been for a dodgy penalty in a previous game so people would soon find that it won't magically change anything. The evening out would just happen immmediately.

People calling Henry a cheat need to get real, he just put his hand out, its upt to the refs to spot it and they didn't.

If Ireland had got a soft penalty and won the game they'd have taken it.

They weren't even winning the game so the request is crazy.

No-one is being ****** around, they were just on the end of a bad decision on this occasion.

Bad Martini
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Funny....I don't remember England ever claiming they should get a replay or be the fifth team in the WC Semis!

Awa.

Am sure I heard the cries of "replay...he cheated" "Replay...the wee argie cheated" for years did I not? :greengrin

And he did, and rightly so .. and THAT, was funny anaw :devil:

Andy74
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Awa.

Am sure I heard the cries of "replay...he cheated" "Replay...the wee argie cheated" for years did I not? :greengrin

And he did, and rightly so .. and THAT, was funny anaw :devil:

I haven't heard 1966 mentioned in connection to technology.

I wonder if those campaigning for it in England would be happy handing over the world cup win and would be happy for Geoff Hurst to be potrayed as a cheat for claiming the goal?

lapsedhibee
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I haven't heard 1966 mentioned in connection to technology.

I wonder if those campaigning for it in England would be happy handing over the world cup win and would be happy for Geoff Hurst to be potrayed as a cheat for claiming the goal?

Wasn't just Hurst either. There was at least one other (Hunt perhaps?) trying to influence the ref's decision. And the fourth "goal" shouldn't have stood either, what with spectators on the pitch distracting the German goalie. Heavy fine to England for bad stewarding, bookings for Hurst and Hunt, deem the result 2-2 and award the cup to Germany as they scored more away goals than England in the final. Simple.

mayo hibee
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Football is still a sport and that's life. Ireland would never have got that position if it hadn't been for a dodgy penalty in a previous game so people would soon find that it won't magically change anything. The evening out would just happen immmediately.

People calling Henry a cheat need to get real, he just put his hand out, its upt to the refs to spot it and they didn't.

If Ireland had got a soft penalty and won the game they'd have taken it.

They weren't even winning the game so the request is crazy.

No-one is being ****** around, they were just on the end of a bad decision on this occasion.

Why do I bother...:grr:

I Love Lamp
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
If England go on too much about winning the WC in 1966, then we certainly go on a lot about them going on about it!

Do you really think for a second that if Scotland won the World Cup (or even got through to the quarter finals) we wouldn't be hearing about it for years even if it was the scuffiest, flukiest win imaginable?

Better just to ignore it and focus on our own efforts/prospects.

As for the Irish FA, think this is a perfect example of what Roy Keane was on about. Idle, diversionary whinging. It was nor more of an illegitimate goal than one which should have been called offside but wasn't a la Costa Rica. Perhaps they should instead be moved to reflect on missed chances and wonder whether the defence might have done better.

Andy74
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Why do I bother...:grr:

Okay, I'll amend it to may not have..

A positive result does wonders all round and if they hadn't go it at that stage things might have been different in subsequent matches.

Woody1985
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
If England go on too much about winning the WC in 1966, then we certainly go on a lot about them going on about it!

Do you really think for a second that if Scotland won the World Cup (or even got through to the quarter finals) we wouldn't be hearing about it for years even if it was the scuffiest, flukiest win imaginable?

As for the Irish FA, think this is a perfect example of what Roy Keane was on about. Idle, diversionary whinging. It was nor more of an illegitimate goal than one which should have been called offside but wasn't a la Costa Rica. Perhaps they should instead be moved to reflect on missed chances and wonder whether the defence might have done better.

Not heard the Keano interview but will try and listen to it.

The defence shouldn't have had to do anything in the Ireland game as the ball was going out of play.

Presumably the defence did their job perfectly in the CR game given they played the forward offside.

These things may not happen very often but we need to do something for the integrity of the game.

With all the recent match fixing scandals and the bribing of refs in Italy only a few years ago I wonder how technology or other methods could mitigate against that.

It would be more difficult for a referee to manipulate a game. Again, this might not happen all that often in the grand scheme of things but I don't think a season goes by without one report or another.

Dunbar Hibee
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes but Roy Keane's just a bitter tw*t. He's only saying that because of what happened at the 2002 world cup.

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes but Roy Keane's just a bitter tw*t. He's only saying that because of what happened at the 2002 world cup.

That may have helped form his opinion on the Irish FA - but it seems they're now intent on proving him correct!

(((Fergus)))
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
That may have helped form his opinion on the Irish FA - but it seems they're now intent on proving him correct!

Indeed. Only the Irish FA could think of having 33 teams in the world cup finals. It's like something out of Flann O'Brien.

cabbageandribs1875
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
no luck for the oirish, dont think anyone will be surprised :devil:

Fifa has said it will not create an extra place at next year's World Cup finals for the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish had asked to be allowed in as a 33rd team after losing in the play-off against France, who won the tie with a controversial handball goal.

Fifa official Jerome Valcke said if the structure was changed it could lead to other nations lodging protests.

Meanwhile, Ireland's assistant boss Liam Brady claimed that Sepp Blatter had become "an embarrassment to Fifa".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8388671.stm

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
imagen if it was england we would here about it for the next 50 years

Woody1985
01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
imagen if it was england we would here about it for the next 50 years

You're gonna need one of these for that post. :tin hat:

And it's nothing to do with England! :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Indeed. Only the Irish FA could think of having 33 teams in the world cup finals. It's like something out of Flann O'Brien.

Did you hear the recorded footage of Blatter announcing this idea? It was on TalkSport yesterday – the room was in hysterics, anyone that thinks this will ever happen or even be seriously discussed is as mental as those asking the question.