PDA

View Full Version : Do people still think we should try to sign Barr or Arfield?

rossi
29-11-2009, 10:05 PM
As it says on the tin; neither off them impressed me at all.

Capt Mainwaring
29-11-2009, 10:19 PM
As it says on the tin; neither off them impressed me at all.

I wouldn't rush to sign either - certainly wouldn't spend any money on them

I think Barr could prove to be a beter player than Hogg however, so would would take him on a free transfer

Jonnyboy
29-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Thought Barr played well and I liked their left back Chris Mitchell :agree:

James Connolly
30-11-2009, 04:03 AM

The Beckham wannabe???? No thanks.

Big90inOz
30-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Didn't really notice barr, I would sign Arfield though :agree: Looks a real player.

Bayern Bru
30-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I feel Arfield was played out of position to anonymity yesterday. He's more an attacking MF which, if my memory serves me correctly, is where Hughes played him at Falkirk.

He's the kind of player with a bit of dig though which is maybe why May employs him as a kinda midfield scrapper.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat.

Judas Iscariot
30-11-2009, 06:23 AM
They both would improve our team and squad..

Barr is a better player than Hogg in every department and Arfield would suit our style of play more than Rankin, Stevenson or Cregg..

If we could send a few guys Falkirks way, McCormack, Rankin and maybe Stevenson plus some cash I think it'd be a good deal..

Brooster
30-11-2009, 06:55 AM

The right footed left back whos first touch went out for a throw in and every one of his free kicks hit row Z - he can stay where he is as far as I'm concerned. I'd take Barr or/and Arfield though, they could be great players under a good manager.

Sprouleflyer
30-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Barr is a better player than Hogg in every department and Arfield would suit our style of play more than Rankin, Stevenson or Cregg..

If we could send a few guys Falkirks way, McCormack, Rankin and maybe Stevenson plus some cash I think it'd be a goof deal..

Yeah for Falkirk!!!! :greengrin

Delboy*
30-11-2009, 06:57 AM

If we could send a few guys Falkirks way, McCormack, Rankin and maybe Stevenson plus some cash I think it'd be a goof deal..

http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/53/753/6/73/20/2506673200046221964XIabRa_th.jpg

007 Mickey Weir
30-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Hibs need to be sensible here. Get Barr signed pre-contract. Then as said before offer players plus cash deal.
Arfield would be good but I feel Falkirk will be looking for near £500k. He is not worth this when we already have Wotherspoon who I think is a better prospect. Also young Welsh in the background.
Offer loan deals for young fring players such as Welsh, McCann, Currie & Byrne who need some regular 1st team experience?
If we can't get Barr in January then give Hanlon a go at CB!! Its only for one month. This is his preferred position and never really been given the chance at Hibs. Or give Lee Currie a go at LB and move Murray to CB.
We also need to look at short term loan deals. Russel Anderson has been mentioned several times on this board. He played his 1st game in about 18months last week for Sunderland reserves. Surely his could offer him 6 months loan with a view to a permenant deal if successful.

Judas Iscariot
30-11-2009, 08:01 AM
http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/53/753/6/73/20/2506673200046221964XIabRa_th.jpg

:cool2:

RIP
30-11-2009, 08:37 AM

If we could send a few guys Falkirks way, McCormack, Rankin and maybe Stevenson plus some cash I think it'd be a good deal..

The same Rankin who to may of us at the game was MOM for the first 70 minutes yesterday?

Judas Iscariot
30-11-2009, 08:54 AM
The same Rankin who to may of us at the game was MOM for the first 70 minutes yesterday?

I didn't think he was anywhere near MOM..

If you think he's worth keeping after only playing well once in the last 10 or so games then fair enough..

Andy74
30-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Fortunately no-one will be signed by this manager on the basis of one game!!

Both would be excellent additions to the squad, if not the team.

WindyMiller
30-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Hibs need to be sensible here. Get Barr signed pre-contract. Then as said before offer players plus cash deal.
Arfield would be good but I feel Falkirk will be looking for near £500k. He is not worth this when we already have Wotherspoon who I think is a better prospect. Also young Welsh in the background.
Offer loan deals for young fring players such as Welsh, McCann, Currie & Byrne who need some regular 1st team experience?
If we can't get Barr in January then give Hanlon a go at CB!! Its only for one month. This is his preferred position and never really been given the chance at Hibs. Or give Lee Currie a go at LB and move Murray to CB.
We also need to look at short term loan deals. Russel Anderson has been mentioned several times on this board. He played his 1st game in about 18months last week for Sunderland reserves. Surely his could offer him 6 months loan with a view to a permenant deal if successful.

I'd much rather he got himself fit at Sunderland's expense than ours.

basehibby
30-11-2009, 09:42 AM
We need a RB and/or CB and soon! Bamba will be away in the African Cup for much of Jan/Feb and we could do with someone to cover for his absence as well as the RB position - Barr could be that man and shouldn't cost too much, although there may be a few other candidates out there.

As for Arfield - he would be a good addition to the squad but Falkirk will want a decent wad for him and it may be that there's better value options out there.

Cropley10
30-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Don't think anyone on this Board or elsewhere would have picked out Kevin McBride last season as being someone who could do well for us, as he has.

Barr or Arfield would be good signings for us but I'll leave that to Yogi to decide. I'm sure plenty of other SPL teams would take either or both of them.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2009, 10:59 AM

My mum knows his dad so I'll maybe get her to have a wee chat with him to see what can be done in January. :greengrin

Mickey Edwards
30-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I think Barr and Arfield played themselves out of a move on Saturday, similar to Brown playing himself out of the Spurs move when Celtic played Arsenal with anonymous {or worse} performances.

Make no mistake that was a massive {?career defining} game for both of them and neither delivered with the pressure on. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine you are a young scottish player with a bit of talent, gallusness and designs on making an impact on the footballing world. The last Hibs /Falkirk clash before the Jan window should have stood out for them if there was any substance to our much vaunted interest in them, even if they didn't fancy the move. They either played poorly under pressure or , worse still, didn't appreciate the importance / opportunity of the stage they were performing on.....you've got to want to be a star.

With more motivation than anyone else on the park to perform, they both were massively underwhelming.........Hibs have guys with talent who "get it " already at the club......to bring in players for the sake of spending money or "freshening things up " is a retrograde step IMHO and sends the wrong message to the guys emerging from our youth network. Worth the risk if they're streets ahead but not if they're not.

And poor Mitchell had the worst first touch in a game that I can remember and the poor guy didn't really recover from that embarrassment .

Jonnyboy
30-11-2009, 12:10 PM
The Beckham wannabe???? No thanks.

The right footed left back whos first touch went out for a throw in and every one of his free kicks hit row Z - he can stay where he is as far as I'm concerned. I'd take Barr or/and Arfield though, they could be great players under a good manager.

Hmmm maybe I was too busy watching Hibs and only saw his good passes, free kicks, tackles etc :greengrin Not a patch on Ian Murray though :agree:

Andy74
30-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I think Barr and Arfield played themselves out of a move on Saturday, similar to Brown playing himself out of the Spurs move when Celtic played Arsenal with anonymous {or worse} performances.

Make no mistake that was a massive {?career defining} game for both of them and neither delivered with the pressure on. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine you are a young scottish player with a bit of talent, gallusness and designs on making an impact on the footballing world. The last Hibs /Falkirk clash before the Jan window should have stood out for them if there was any substance to our much vaunted interest in them, even if they didn't fancy the move. They either played poorly under pressure or , worse still, didn't appreciate the importance / opportunity of the stage they were performing on.....you've got to want to be a star.

With more motivation than anyone else on the park to perform, they both were massively underwhelming.........Hibs have guys with talent who "get it " already at the club......to bring in players for the sake of spending money or "freshening things up " is a retrograde step IMHO and sends the wrong message to the guys emerging from our youth network. Worth the risk if they're streets ahead but not if they're not.

And poor Mitchell had the worst first touch in a game that I can remember and the poor guy didn't really recover from that embarrassment .

I think most, if not all, of that is rubbish.

Hughes has worked with both thse guys for years, bringing them through the ranks and knows exactly what they are capable of.

One game against Hibs isn't going to change his thinking on them in the least.

we are always in the market for players that are better than what we have or can develop into being better and these two are probably in that category.

The message to the young guys at the club is that the like of Wotherspoon, Byrne, Hanlon, McCormack are in and around the first team and if you are good enough you will play regardless of who else is at the club.

RoslinInstHibby
30-11-2009, 12:16 PM
tbh i thought Barr had an decent game, he seemed to win his fair share in the air on saturday against a much taller opponent

Malthibby
30-11-2009, 12:18 PM
No_10 - I think McCormack will be a very good player for us - one of the youngsters who is getting limited game time because we have a decent squad. We don't want to be dumping our youff before they have a chance to prove themselves. I also like Lewis, although it doesn't seem to be happening for him, & i keep changing my mind about Rankin.
Not going to be able to keep everyone, I guess.
GG

Delboy4
30-11-2009, 12:24 PM

MOM...? Never, I'm wondering if I was at the same game on Saturday!:confused:

IMO Ian murray was the MOM, by a counrty mile...
:thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
30-11-2009, 12:28 PM
No_10 - I think McCormack will be a very good player for us - one of the youngsters who is getting limited game time because we have a decent squad. We don't want to be dumping our youff before they have a chance to prove themselves. I also like Lewis, although it doesn't seem to be happening for him, & i keep changing my mind about Rankin.
Not going to be able to keep everyone, I guess.
GG

DMc is never a fullback in his life, and when I've seen him at CH I've been less than impressed..

Hanlon is a far better prospect at CH..

Stevenson has never came close to emulating the form of the CIS winning season and doesn't have 1 position that he's really good at and can make his..

Rankin IMO is a squad player at best, couldn't hold down a start at Inverness and can't think of another SPL side that would have him in their midfield..

smurf
30-11-2009, 12:58 PM

That was an average one really... For every average one we get six mediocre ones. He's not good enough IMHO.

Bo'ness Hibee
30-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Watched both of them in Falkirk's home win against Hamilton the week before last and neither impressed me.

Arfield was virtually anonymous and only Flynn (who I thought was a winger but who was playing centre mid) stood out as being much of a prospect. Barr was given a torrid time by MAC and I lost count of the number of times he was out muscled by Curier going for headers. Fortunately for Falkirk, Curier's finishing was as poor as it was during his spell at ER.

Personally, I'd prefer to see us make a move for Russell Anderson, provided he can prove his fitness between now and January. There were times when he played for the Dons that he seemed to be a one-man defensive barrier against wave after wave of Hibs attacks and while he may have lost his way a bit since then I think he could prove to be another Miller or Stokes.

vahibbie
30-11-2009, 01:29 PM
DMc is never a fullback in his life, and when I've seen him at CH I've been less than impressed..

Hanlon is a far better prospect at CH..

Stevenson has never came close to emulating the form of the CIS winning season and doesn't have 1 position that he's really good at and can make his..

Rankin IMO is a squad player at best, couldn't hold down a start at Inverness and can't think of another SPL side that would have him in their midfield..

Thot DMc played well when he came on, a better defensive fullback than DW at any rate.
I wouldn't be in any rush to push him out the door.
Agree with the rest:wink:

RoscoHibby
30-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I was actually at a gig on Saturday where Scott Arfield's band were playing. The boy seems very much in the broony mould, i.e daft as a brush.

Couldn't have used too much energy on the pitch cos was goin wild during his set and the band after them. Was also around for a while after in the bar and seemed to be enjoying his bevvy.

Not painting a Riordan picture here, just case anyone interested!

Hakim Sar
30-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Rankin MOM for first 70 mins v falkirk?

Oh dear oh dear

Usual rankin.... tried his guts out but basic fundementals of the game were non existent. The credit I will give him is that he filled in the gaps when murray and McCormack pushed forward, but everything else was desperate.

Jonnyboy
30-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Rankin MOM for first 70 mins v falkirk?

Oh dear oh dear

Usual rankin.... tried his guts out but basic fundementals of the game were non existent. The credit I will give him is that he filled in the gaps when murray and McCormack pushed forward, but everything else was desperate.

Was that not his job :wink:

Rankin is clearly not everyone's cup of tea and has his limitations but he rarely lets us down IMO

Mickey Edwards
30-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I think most, if not all, of that is rubbish.

Hughes has worked with both thse guys for years, bringing them through the ranks and knows exactly what they are capable of.

One game against Hibs isn't going to change his thinking on them in the least.

we are always in the market for players that are better than what we have or can develop into being better and these two are probably in that category.

The message to the young guys at the club is that the like of Wotherspoon, Byrne, Hanlon, McCormack are in and around the first team and if you are good enough you will play regardless of who else is at the club.

My post was only rubbish in the sense that Hughes will retain fondness/a sense of ownership for the pair and therefore realistically they will not have played themselves out of the move.

The rest , I think, is reasonable ; bringing them in would shuffle the pack but not progress the team {at a hefty cost} IMHO. Would no-one else here have bust a gut to turn it on against prospective future employers ? I want a bit more for my club now , and that doesn't mean cash - it means a sharp brain and commitment to excellence.

euro Hibby
30-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Probably prefer Barr but you need to weigh up Mccormack and Hanlon who are knocking on the door. Bamba will be off sooner or later so Barr is a good option if he comes out of contract. If I had 300,000 to spend I would think maybe it could be spent better.

GreenOnions
30-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I thought Arfield looks like a real footballer. He has quick feet and a good touch together with a great deal of confidence. Not sure that he normally plays the role he did on Saturday. Against us he played quite deep and linked play a lot. I can definitely see why Yogi and others are interested in him.

Barr - I would reserve judgement on at the moment.

Hakim Sar
30-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Was that not his job :wink:

Rankin is clearly not everyone's cup of tea and has his limitations but he rarely lets us down IMO

Yeah it was his job... but after a performance where he failed to
Control the ball or actually reach a decent successful pass percentage he shouldn't even be quoted near MOM. One thing filling in the gap, which was great, then he MUST MUST MUST retain possession or it leaves us exposed

basehibby
30-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Thot DMc played well when he came on, a better defensive fullback than DW at any rate.
I wouldn't be in any rush to push him out the door.
Agree with the rest:wink:

:agree: Worth pointing out - I thought DMC played well in defence and on the overlap when he came on. In the past I've thought he looked uncomfortable at RB, but not on Saturday - well played Darren :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
30-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah it was his job... but after a performance where he failed to
Control the ball or actually reach a decent successful pass percentage he shouldn't even be quoted near MOM. One thing filling in the gap, which was great, then he MUST MUST MUST retain possession or it leaves us exposed

Fair points well made :agree:

jonny
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Not really a fan of either and I think theres better players out there within our budget that would add more to the squad than either of them.
Not to say I'd be totally gutted if they were brought in but I wouldn't be overjoyed by the signings.

MyJo
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't spend huge amounts on Arfield, if we could get him for about £300k plus Rankin he'd be a good addition to the squad, Barr didn't play badly on saturday and i remember a couple of times on saturday where he carried the ball out of defence and played it forward onto the wingers like a midfielder rather than a centre half which is something i don't think Bamba or Hogg are particularly good at. The number of headers he won despite his height was pretty impressive as well.

whoever the number 21 is for them was decent as well IIRC, right winger who got blootered by Murray a couple of times but he was fast and certainly made murray work.

Judas Iscariot
01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Not really a fan of either and I think theres better players out there within our budget that would add more to the squad than either of them.
Not to say I'd be totally gutted if they were brought in but I wouldn't be overjoyed by the signings.

What players you got in mind?

Andy74
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
What players you got in mind?

I'd be interested to hear that as well.

If we can turn our noses up at a centre half normally in the Scotland squad and one of the best in the Scotland under 21s then I'm all ears as to who we can expect!

Bayern Bru
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I'd be interested to hear that as well.

If we can turn our noses up at a centre half normally in the Scotland squad and one of the best in the Scotland under 21s then I'm all ears as to who we can expect!

A French second division nutter with a penchant for waist high tackles and a grizzled journeyman who's had more clubs than Sandy Lyle etc...

:devil:

Mickey Edwards
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Mark Kerr

Danny Swanson

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I think we have to trust Yogi. If he brings in one or even both, he will be doing so on a few years of watching them. My views, and i'd imagine most are on a few times a season playing against us. FWIW i think both are an improvement on what we have at this moment in time.

Bayern Bru
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Mark Kerr

Danny Swanson

Mark Kerr?
:bitchy:

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, not now.

Andy74
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Mark Kerr?
:bitchy:

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, not now.

He's playing well just now but Arfield is a potential star in the making and it would be a great time to get him. Kerr is probably not going to improve any and we're better served in that real central area by McBride and Miller with reasonable back up too.

Arfield has that wee bit more imigantion and creativity that we often miss when the likes of Zemmama aren't around.

And Barr looks to me like an improvement on Hogg, even though I rate him as well.

Not sure about Swanson - one of these players with talent that maybe can't play in a team or do it consistently enough.

Bayern Bru
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Kerr is probably not going to improve any and we're better served in that real central area by McBride and Miller with reasonable back up too.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. We should be looking for players who will improve I reckon, and as you say, Kerr would probably be one of many at Hibs, and wouldn't be played ahead of Miller and McBride.

Conj
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I would rather have Brian McLean than Darren Barr if I was to sign a Falkirk central defender.

blackhibee
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
He's playing well just now but Arfield is a potential star in the making and it would be a great time to get him. Kerr is probably not going to improve any and we're better served in that real central area by McBride and Miller with reasonable back up too.

Arfield has that wee bit more imigantion and creativity that we often miss when the likes of Zemmama aren't around.

And Barr looks to me like an improvement on Hogg, even though I rate him as well.

Not sure about Swanson - one of these players with talent that maybe can't play in a team or do it consistently enough.

I've now seen Darren Barr play 8 times, and on each occasion he has been average at best. I can only go on what I've seen, and on that criteria he is alright, nothing more than that. Hogg I never rated anyway. Average player again, not bad, but not that good either, and makes quite a few glaring errors that have been costly.Arfield is a good player who would definitely be a good acquisition,and I believe either him or Swanson would be good signings. Just my opinion.

Hibs Spain
01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

If we could send a few guys Falkirks way, McCormack, Rankin and maybe Stevenson plus some cash I think it'd be a good deal..Barr for Hogg in a heartbeat. Arfield for those others mentioned ? Not sure....Anyway are the two Falkirk two not on frees?

I Love Lamp
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't think anyone on this Board or elsewhere would have picked out Kevin McBride last season as being someone who could do well for us, as he has.

Barr or Arfield would be good signings for us but I'll leave that to Yogi to decide. I'm sure plenty of other SPL teams would take either or both of them.

Exactly and nor did anyone think Sol Bamba would be much when he first arrived and, when you look at their respective records at their previous clubs, it's easy to see why.

This is why we pay coaches and managers who have to go through various courses and qualifications: because they use the skills of analysis they pick up to take a player out of the context of their current team and think about (1) what are their attributes? (2) how might they link up with and complement other players currently in our squad? and (3) what are their faults and can they be rectified?

So Mixu with the Dunfermline Big Sol would have seen: (1) big, strong, quick, can be good with ball at feet; (2) by providing the strength to win balls in the key midfield areas (though he now plays at centre-back) and pass to a playmaker and (3) lacks composure and makes rash challenges but would respond to training to learn to find the right pass and should just be told to stay on his feet.

Won't go through the same with McBride but basically Yogi figured when he has players who have better movement and anticipation to pass to then he'll be useful.

No doubt Yogi will go through a similar analytical process with Barrfield with the bonus that he already knows them very well.

All of which is to say, trust the manager.

ahibby
01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I thought Falkirk did alright on Sat but Hibs contained them well and broke them down when they had to and so I didn't come away with any of their players in mind. I just came away thinking except for the Motherwell game it was a fairly typical Hibs style of play and performance; soaking up pressure and scoring on the break. That's something that Mixu seemed to get going, without the goals coming. Someone commented in the West Stand after the game that it was just like watching Mixus sides in the second half.

Hakim Sar
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Fair points well made :agree:

cheers jonnyboy... a true gentleman

ancient hibee
01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
A lot of posters have no time for Nish but will concede he played well on Saturday-against Barr mebbe?Saw Barr on telly against Celtic he was terrible at right back and when he moved to centre half McDonald got 2 goals including a header.The chances we missed on Saturday including the two blocks he was nowhere to be seen-not for me.

Arfield played in a central midfield of 3 against our 2-did he show up-don't think so.