PDA

View Full Version : Lucky or Grafters? (merged)

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2009, 08:29 PM
There's a lot of talent in the squad, but we haven't gelled as a team.

There's a great team spirit.

We have the ability to score goals, principally through DR at the moment as Stokes, Benji and Nish haven't found much form lately.

We're still weak in a few areas.

It strikes me that our season can go one of two ways. Either the results start to mirror the performances and we drift away from the OF into the DU, M'Well and A'deen top six pack (that, I believe is the worst we'll do) or we actually start to put in the performances of which we're capable and win in style and stay breathing down the OF necks after New Year (which is the about the best we'll do.)

Yogi has certainly installed a winning, or at least hard to beat mentality. His intention of having us play the kind of game we played under Mowbray hasn't yet materialised, and I reckon there are another couple of thousand Hibs fans waiting for the sexy football to come back.

An interesting season though, far more so than I would have imagined.

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 08:37 PM
We're one game away from being top of the league at the start of December. That tops the 10 match unbeaten start we had under Collins, another period when we were grinding out results but not playing to our capabilities.

The difference this season is we have a deeper squad. We've been missing our most creative player Zemmama for key games, Bamba and Riordan have also missed a few games but we're still getting results. Theyres no weak links in our squad comparable to what we've had in the recent past...

My glass is definitely half full, not half empty:agree:

weststandhibby
28-11-2009, 08:38 PM
agree entirely - get another big centre half and creative midfielder and we could be on our way...

the last few seasons would have seen us losing games like today but the team ground out the win.

Ian Murray shows the passion for the jersey and we need to get him on a long term contract as he is far and away our most consistent performer this season.....

GC
28-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Motherwell next week we must take 3 points. That will take is 8 points ahead of them and give us some breathing space, Utd may struggle with the suspensions that they picked up today.

We then go into the festive period and if we can come out of the fixtures which include Rangers and Hearts still only a few points of top of the league then we have to go out in the window and strengthen with the aim of trying to challange for the league title, not just to keep up with the old firm.

We always say let's see where we are come January, well if we are still there in 6 weeks time then let's try and have a go for it this year.

Downsloper
28-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Ian Murray shows the passion for the jersey and we need to get him on a long term contract as he is far and away our most consistent performer this season.....

what contract is he on?

It's a good job the OF don't have any money or I could see one of them coming in for him again - maybe Mowbray. He's outstanding in every match at the moment: over-lapping with Riordan, hammering into tackles and distributing from the back with great consistency. I would imagine some of the English teams will be visiting soon.

And what other contracts need attention?

PatHead
28-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't know what contract he is on but felt he was man of the match today even allowing for Deek's 2 goals. He is definately up there with Miller for Player of the season this year. By the way thought Rankine did well today in place of McBride

Phil D. Rolls
28-11-2009, 10:06 PM
See this Ian Murray? Is he any relation to I-hun Murray that so many people on here used to slag off? It's just that I thought that guy got a lot of unfair stick.

hibbie02
28-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Well having watched it on Alba, we were not as bad as the radio guys made out and Falkirk were nowhere near as good. If we can get all 11 players performing at the same time then we will give someone a good hiding.

Murray was positively Schaedler-esque. Deeks was trying too hard sometimes but has improved his all round game. Zouma was missing most of the game ans Stokes was missing all of the game. The defence looked reasonable.

greenlex
28-11-2009, 10:15 PM
We're one game away from being top of the league at the start of December. That tops the 10 match unbeaten start we had under Collins, another period when we were grinding out results but not playing to our capabilities.

The difference this season is we have a deeper squad. We've been missing our most creative player Zemmama for key games, Bamba and Riordan have also missed a few games but we're still getting results. Theyres no weak links in our squad comparable to what we've had in the recent past...

:confused:Riordan hasn't missed a game has he?

GC
28-11-2009, 10:19 PM

70 mins against Hertz is all I can think off.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Riordan and Bamba have started every game except Tynecastle.

Deeks came on as sub.

--------
28-11-2009, 10:22 PM
See this Ian Murray? Is he any relation to I-hun Murray that so many people on here used to slag off? It's just that I thought that guy got a lot of unfair stick.

Identical Twi-Hun, I think, FR.

I-Hun M is a sy=tinking slimy hypocritical money-grabbing turncoat who would probably rape your sister and barbecue your pet doggie.

Ian M is a fine, upstanding character with many of the characteristics of the sort of chaps who figured as the heroes in one's boyhood adventure stories - RAF Battle of Britain fighter pilots, Canadian Mounties, naval captains - a really sound fellow, you know? :devil:

ancient hibee
28-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Identical Twi-Hun, I think, FR.

I-Hun M is a sy=tinking slimy hypocritical money-grabbing turncoat who would probably rape your sister and barbecue your pet doggie.

Ian M is a fine, upstanding character with many of the characteristics of the sort of chaps who figured as the heroes in one's boyhood adventure stories - RAF Battle of Britain fighter pilots, Canadian Mounties, naval captains - a really sound fellow, you know? :devil:
Played on today after a shoulder wound-just a scratch obviously-reminds me of Biggles-or maybe even Sergeant Braddock V.C.

mikey987654321
28-11-2009, 11:15 PM
And what other contracts need attention?[/QUOTE]

i think we should be offering zemmama a longer contract, even though i think he will be looking to move on at the end of the season, a nice wage rise for him perhaps with a gentlemans agreement to be allowed to speak to clubs making a decent offer. otherwise around this time next year if he is still here, we could have the real prospect of him signing a pre-contract or moving for a nominal fee.

as he has said before Hibs have been very helpful towards him in the past so maybe its worth making him an offer if only to increase any transfer fee?

Mag7
28-11-2009, 11:57 PM

I think we were playing beyond our capabilities at that time and were found out not long afterwards when we went on a diabolical run and most of the duds Collins signed were found badly wanting. This time round I get the feeling there is the potential for better to come.

hibsbollah
29-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I think we were playing beyond our capabilities at that time and were found out not long afterwards when we went on a diabolical run and most of the duds Collins signed were found badly wanting. This time round I get the feeling there is the potential for better to come.

I agree, especially with the bit in bold. That period reminds me of this period because we were grinding out results and (in some games)winning ugly.

Kato
29-11-2009, 12:07 AM
His intention of having us play the kind of game we played under Mowbray

If we were playing like we did under Mowbray we'd have been beaten today and nowhere near the top.

Kato
29-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Well having watched it on Alba, we were not as bad as the radio guys made out and Falkirk were nowhere near as good. If we can get all 11 players performing at the same time then we will give someone a good hiding.

Let me guess. Alan Preston?

monktonharp
29-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Murray was positively Schaedler-esque. Deeks was trying too hard sometimes but has improved his all round game. Zouma was missing most of the game ans Stokes was missing all of the game. The defence looked reasonable.was at the game today,and felt that we were lucky to win (again). but after watching ALBA ,naw we wurnae lucky,jist a better all round team than the one we played against today. still think we'd be better with more of a midfield,and less attackers on at the same time.

broonie27
29-11-2009, 09:59 AM
13 games into the season, sitting 3rd but as far as I'm aware we haven't played a single game where we were absolutely brilliant. I have to admit that last sentence is based purely on reading reports and watching the Cabbage on Hibernian TV as I now live in New Zealand.

But I've been wondering for a while now whether we are really lucky to be where we are or whether Hughes has got us relentlessly grafting out results? Grafting results apparently isn't his style of play but that's what I've been watching this season, especially the Hearts game at Tynecastle which was probably one of the worst games of football I've seen in a long while.

It all kinda reminds me of when Collins was doing really well at the beginning of his first proper season, we were in a lofty position but then the wheels came off and it all went tits up. I'm not saying that's going to happen this season with Hughes as I don't see him "losing the dressing room" like Collins did but I am constantly wondering whether we are ever going to hit a purple patch and really cream a team and maybe even put together a run of wins that might put us in 2nd place (because let's face it the ugly sisters are rank rotten and there for the taking) or are we going to fizzle away into 5th or 6th or even 7th place.

The reality is we will probably do neither of those and we'll carry on losing silly games, wining some good away points and end up 3rd or 4th but I'm just intrigued to know what others think?

southfieldshibby
29-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I listened to the match on the BBC on the tinternet and the commentators made it sound like we were under the cosh and our defence was in pieces. Steve Cowan actually said that Maka didn't know "if it was New year or New York" at one point.

Straight after the game a good mate of mine from Falkirk texted me with the brief message "the better team won".:confused:

A Chelsea supporting mate of mine was looking at the SPl table with me last night and rightly IMO pointed out that a team that has only conceaded 9 goals in 13 matches and is only 2 points from top must be playing for the manager.

I know we haven't played great in some matches or at least part of matches, but on the other had we should have taken something from the Celtic game and held on to beat Dundee Utd.

Massive two games coming up now. a couple of wins would cement our place in the top four what with the other fixtures in those weeks.

Not a bad time to be a Hibee.

euro Hibby
29-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I watch most of the games on internet which is not best. Without playing well we are getting the points so I would tend to think that the spirit and work rate in the team is excellent, plus we have the skill requirement to turn on to win games when necessary. For the most part its not pretty but I don't think Yogi wants to stray away from a team which is getting results !

I would mutch prefer to see Deeks in a striking role instead of out on the wing. This would mean dropping Stokes who has not been good of late. It means sticking with Nish or trying Byrne and It would give Galbraith a shot therefore adding width and pace to the attack.

I think Wetherspoon would do better in a forward midfield position so our midfield would be Mcbride, Miller Wetherspoon and Zemmana ( 4 ) and not the usual 3.

I could go on but it would mean changing about 4 of the current team which is getting results without playing great football. Benji looks out of touch, Hogg while playing well as a defender does not pass the ball well and we miss drive from the full backs. Ian Murry probably would be better in alongside Bamba.

Will be interesting to see what Yogi comes up with. Certainly on yesterdays game I would not be interested in Artfield but Darren Barr could do a job.

Baw187
29-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I can add my tuppence worth in here as I gave this a lot of thought last night while the missus was watching I'm a celeb !

It appears to me that Yogi's first thought is to work hard and be hard to beat if I be honest. When we get the opportunity to get at teams and attack in a game, we look great, create chances, and usually score. When there are signs of the opposition turning the screw, he has our whole team fighting and defending, which in my opinion, has prevented us from getting forward and limits us to hitting on the break.

This has bee a successful strategy in that wer have one of our best ever defensive records, certainly in my lifetime, and have scored a few goals and equalled our best points tally after 13 games (07/08), but it has not been pretty at times.

I've only missed 2 games this season, and one of those (Falkirk) I seen on the tellybox, and for me, this has been my overwhelming observation.

Yogi does everything not to loose games first and foremost (probably after the Hamilton shock) and then looks to be relying on our 'maverics' to get the goals when the other team loosen their guard.

Hearts was a perfect example. He set up to ensure we weren't going to loose that, then brought Deek on, shifted things about, and we nearly sneaked it in the last 20.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2009, 10:34 AM
If we were playing like we did under Mowbray we'd have been beaten today and nowhere near the top.

I say it would have been almost certain. We look a far less vulnerable outfit under Hughes. I recall that game when Falkirk beat us 1-0 at ER and Yogi was antagonising the crowd. It's hard to see us lose many games like that under Hughes, wheras it was always a possibility under TM.

Would still like to see us really turn it on a la Mowbray and demolish somebody though, because I think we're capable on doing so.

I think M'Well next week is the biggest game of the season. Gannon is no mug, he'll have had a good look at us after the Fir Park game (our best performance of the season), and he'll fancy his chances.

I'd love to see us put the performance and the result together for this one.

malcolm
29-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I watch most of the games on internet which is not best. Without playing well we are getting the points so I would tend to think that the spirit and work rate in the team is excellent, plus we have the skill requirement to turn on to win games when necessary. For the most part its not pretty but I don't think Yogi wants to stray away from a team which is getting results !

I would mutch prefer to see Deeks in a striking role instead of out on the wing. This would mean dropping Stokes who has not been good of late. It means sticking with Nish or trying Byrne and It would give Galbraith a shot therefore adding width and pace to the attack.

I think Wetherspoon would do better in a forward midfield position so our midfield would be Mcbride, Miller Wetherspoon and Zemmana ( 4 ) and not the usual 3.

I could go on but it would mean changing about 4 of the current team which is getting results without playing great football. Benji looks out of touch, Hogg while playing well as a defender does not pass the ball well and we miss drive from the full backs. Ian Murry probably would be better in alongside Bamba.

Will be interesting to see what Yogi comes up with. Certainly on yesterdays game I would not be interested in Artfield but Darren Barr could do a job.

more drive fwd than Murray provides would seem to be wishful thinking maybe patrice evra is available. :greengrin Come to think of it Wotherspoon is doing a not bad job in the driving fwd stakes, his ball for the second could just as easily have come from him in a full back position as we have already seen this season.

hibbie02
29-11-2009, 10:55 AM
We still need a 4 man midfield that includes 2 defensive midfielders and 2 who can link the play to Riordan and A.N. Other. I think Galbraith needs to be tried out wide. Zouma I am afraid is not interested unless he has the ball, then he is great to watch. I would move Spoony up and keep Zouma for impact. :agree:

500miles
29-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Yogi has said it a few times already; we are becoming a scalp. For years now, we have watches Rangers and Celtic put in the sort of performances we have in recent months, and come away with three points most weeks. The team up against them will get a lot of credit for stopping them playing, but in the end, they usually make the breakthrough. That's what we're dealing with - teams will make things hard for us, because if they don't, they know that we may well thump them - you can't give players like Riordan, Zemmama, Miller and Stokes time on the ball. Even the less talented (although important squad member IMO) Nish will turn the screw given time and space.

Our best performances will come against Dundee United and Motherwell, because the see themselves as on the same level as us ( and we are all doing pretty well this season), and don't play with the fear. I don't see OF games being great though, because they will be terrified of dropping any more points.

Baw187
29-11-2009, 10:57 AM
We still need a 4 man midfield that includes 2 defensive midfielders and 2 who can link the play to Riordan and A.N. Other. I think Galbraith needs to be tried out wide. Zouma I am afraid is not interested unless he has the ball, then he is great to watch. I would move Spoony up and keep Zouma for impact. :agree:

Not sure I agree with that. He was clearly tired yesterday havening not played or trained as much. Before he got injured, he was outstanding and did his share of getting back and helping the team IMO.

Expecting Rain
29-11-2009, 11:32 AM
There's a lot of talent in the squad, but we haven't gelled as a team.

There's a great team spirit.

We have the ability to score goals, principally through DR at the moment as Stokes, Benji and Nish haven't found much form lately.

We're still weak in a few areas.

It strikes me that our season can go one of two ways. Either the results start to mirror the performances and we drift away from the OF into the DU, M'Well and A'deen top six pack (that, I believe is the worst we'll do) or we actually start to put in the performances of which we're capable and win in style and stay breathing down the OF necks after New Year (which is the about the best we'll do.)

Yogi has certainly installed a winning, or at least hard to beat mentality. His intention of having us play the kind of game we played under Mowbray hasn't yet materialised, and I reckon there are another couple of thousand Hibs fans waiting for the sexy football to come back.

An interesting season though, far more so than I would have imagined.

:agree::top marks

renato
29-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I can add my tuppence worth in here as I gave this a lot of thought last night while the missus was watching I'm a celeb !

It appears to me that Yogi's first thought is to work hard and be hard to beat if I be honest. When we get the opportunity to get at teams and attack in a game, we look great, create chances, and usually score. When there are signs of the opposition turning the screw, he has our whole team fighting and defending, which in my opinion, has prevented us from getting forward and limits us to hitting on the break.

This has bee a successful strategy in that wer have one of our best ever defensive records, certainly in my lifetime, and have scored a few goals and equalled our best points tally after 13 games (07/08), but it has not been pretty at times.

I've only missed 2 games this season, and one of those (Falkirk) I seen on the tellybox, and for me, this has been my overwhelming observation.

Yogi does everything not to loose games first and foremost (probably after the Hamilton shock) and then looks to be relying on our 'maverics' to get the goals when the other team loosen their guard.

Hearts was a perfect example. He set up to ensure we weren't going to loose that, then brought Deek on, shifted things about, and we nearly sneaked it in the last 20.

:agree:

We're playing like Los Yambolinos did last year, albeit with a much more potent goal threat.

fife hfc
29-11-2009, 01:37 PM
was at the game today,and felt that we were lucky to win (again). but after watching ALBA ,naw we wurnae lucky,jist a better all round team than the one we played against today. still think we'd be better with more of a midfield,and less attackers on at the same time.

I think this is the problem. Stokes maybe suffering as well as he looks like he works the channels but he's finding these areas occupied by Riordan and zemmama who don't hug the touchline but come in looking for the ball, thus limiting the space. I would play Galbraith wide left and tell Zemmama to hug the right touchline in attack to give our central attackers more space to move. also twith deek in his natural position we have a 4 midfielders who actually play those positions.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think we're lucky. We're just hard to beat.

Only Rangers have conceded less goals than us, and they have played a game less. We've only conceded 2 goals on one occasion in the league, against Hamilton, and we've had 5 clean sheets.

Yes, we've scored a few more than last season, but it's the defensive aspect of our game which has made all the difference.

Frankly, that's amazing, given the attack minded formations we set out.

Here are the stats.

P W D L F A GD Pts.
13 7 4 2 19 9 10 25

13 4 3 6 13 19 -6 15

marinello59
29-11-2009, 07:14 PM
No luck
We are a decent team. There , I said it............let the slaughter commence.:greengrin

Comiston Hibee
29-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I was there yesterday and quite happy with the performance- scored good goals, made a few more decent chances and looked pretty solid at the back (with the exception of the Falkirk "goal" in the 1st half and a couple of Maka's scaring moments in the 2nd half)

My concern comes from the fact that although we are unbeaten in 9 how many of those games can we say we played well in? Not too many if I am honest. I saw a brilliant performance at Ibrox but outwith that not too many great performances in the unbeaten run.

I know they say that a good team wins when it doesn't play well, but my concern is that when the bubble bursts (we can't stay unbeaten forever) do we have the squad to ensure we don't fall out of the European race, let alone the title race?

The key to success is how we bounce back from that first bad result

Thought anyone?

Barney McGrew
29-11-2009, 08:52 PM

We already have bounced back.

We're unbeaten since the Hamilton debacle.

AJHibby
29-11-2009, 08:57 PM
We've made our own luck this season.

Spike Mandela
29-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I was there yesterday and quite happy with the performance- scored good goals, made a few more decent chances and looked pretty solid at the back (with the exception of the Falkirk "goal" in the 1st half and a couple of Maka's scaring moments in the 2nd half)

My concern comes from the fact that although we are unbeaten in 9 how many of those games can we say we played well in? Not too many if I am honest. I saw a brilliant performance at Ibrox but outwith that not too many great performances in the unbeaten run.

I know they say that a good team wins when it doesn't play well, but my concern is that when the bubble bursts (we can't stay unbeaten forever) do we have the squad to ensure we don't fall out of the European race, let alone the title race?

Thought anyone?

Well, that's what normally happens but hey lets have a wee bit positivity!!

By the law of averages we must be due a year where we can keep a consistent run going and THIS COULD BE THE YEAR:flag::flag::flag::greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
29-11-2009, 09:04 PM
It's all about Sol Bamba.

Not only is he our defensive rock, he also put in an Oscar winning performance in the Green Mile.

Legend. :not worth

jakedance
29-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm sure we can play better but I'm not complaining. We won yesterday and deserved to win. More of the same will be fine with me.

Lucks got nothing to do with it. We're strong in every position and we've got enough quality to get goals when we've needed them.

I'm now willing to hope that we can go into the transfer window as genuine title challengers. That would be tidy.