PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Far too one footed, never score goals in the EPL.:devil:

Hiber-nation
28-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Surprised me that's for sure. Well done the Fletch.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 10:49 PM

He looked quality in the highlights.

He tried his best to miss the 1st one though - surely he's got to stick his right foot out for that one?!

greenlex
28-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Fluck me the second was with his right foot!!!!!!! :cool2:

millarco
28-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Fantastic again. 2nd one was certainly a right-foot, and the dummy for the 3rd was nice. Glad to see he's proving a lot of people wrong down there, and is fair tallying up the goals-think that's 8 in all competitions, 5 in the league. He was beginning to stagnate at us, though it's unfortunate that Mixu was his manager at the key stage of his development. His movement is far better than anyone we have at the moment. Wish he was still here.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 10:53 PM
He looked quality in the highlights.

He tried his best to miss the 1st one though - surely he's got to stick his right foot out for that one?!

The first one was a clean strike, an easy pass into the net,:confused: the 2nd one was harder, especially when you consider what foot he scored it with.:wink:

mikey987654321
28-11-2009, 10:53 PM
definetly starting to look the part, good news for scotland and for our reputation for bringing through youngsters :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 10:55 PM
definetly starting to look the part, good news for scotland and for our reputation for bringing through youngsters :greengrin

He's probably still behind Miller in the pecking order.:grr:

Cropley10
28-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Fantastic again. 2nd one was certainly a right-foot, and the dummy for the 3rd was nice. Glad to see he's proving a lot of people wrong down there, and is fair tallying up the goals-think that's 8 in all competitions, 5 in the league. He was beginning to stagnate at us, though it's unfortunate that Mixu was his manager at the key stage of his development. His movement is far better than anyone we have at the moment. Wish he was still here.

:agree: I'd swap him for Stokesy in a heartbeat. He's looking like a quality player and he's what 22?

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 10:58 PM
The first one was a clean strike, an easy pass into the net,:confused: the 2nd one was harder, especially when you consider what foot he scored it with.:wink:

It was an easy one but he looks like he's tying himself up to tap it in - it should be a right foot finish IMO.

Still he's looking a good player - the dummy for the 3rd was good as well.

Andy74
28-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I think his current form highlights how much he couldn't give a toss about us in his last year or so.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I think his current form highlights how much he couldn't give a toss about us in his last year or so.

I think its more to do with the quality of ball thats delivered into the box, and not having to feed off crosses from the likes of Alan Obrien, :wink: or Philipe Morias.

matty_f
28-11-2009, 11:11 PM

I think it shows more how mis-used he was in whatever system we tried to use last season.

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Thats what you said at the time, I remember. Changed your mind now I take it?:greengrin

iwasthere1972
28-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I think its more to do with the quality of ball thats delivered into the box, and not having to feed off crosses from the likes of Alan Obrien, :wink: or Philipe Morias.

Maybe SPL defences are actually better than the EPL. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I think it shows more how mis-used he was in whatever system we tried to use last season.

:agree: Coyle played him out of position at the start of the season and he looked pish (apparently) - he's realsied that tough and is playing him where he should, what a difference.

Hopefully the next Scotland manager won't have the same blind-spot and play him ahead of Miller.

Frazerbob
28-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Got a mate up here in Aberdeen who's a Burnley season ticket holder. He told me last week that Fletch was worth the drive down and back every week. Burnley's best player in his opinion. Thinks he was a steal at £3m!

Shrekko
28-11-2009, 11:16 PM

So if we trawl through all your old posts we'll read that you were always convinced he was EPL class? :wink:

I think the majority of us expected a couple of years ago that he could get to that level but a lot might have started to doubt it last season when he completely stagnated and showed no sign of working on his obvious weakness.

I'm delighted he's doing so well and will admit that he's made the doubts disappear pretty quickly.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Thats what you said at the time, I remember. Changed your mind now I take it?:greengrin

No, never said that once.:confused: In fact i said he was good enough to play in the EPL, only to be told by the experts i was wrong.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:19 PM
So if we trawl through all your old posts we'll read that you were always convinced he was EPL class? :wink:

I think the majority of us expected a couple of years ago that he could get to that level but a lot might have started to doubt it last season when he completely stagnated and showed no sign of working on his obvious weakness.

I'm delighted he's doing so well and will admit that he's made the doubts disappear pretty quickly.

Fire ahead, and Bambas next, i was first to say that too.

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 11:22 PM
No, never said that once.:confused: In fact i said he was good enough to play in the EPL, only to be told by the experts i was wrong.:greengrin

I wish I could find that thread... you obviously either change your opinions very quickly or have a short-term memory because when he left us in teh summer I recall you saying he would be a failure in the Prem and wasnt good enough:bitchy:

marinello59
28-11-2009, 11:23 PM

I think his current form highlights how a lot of people here wouldn't know a decent player if he kicked them up the arse.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I wish I could find that thread... you obviously either change your opinions very quickly or have a short-term memory because when he left us in teh summer I recall you saying he would be a failure in the Prem and wasnt good enough:bitchy:

Bollox, do a search. then make you apology for everyone to see.:blah:

Shrekko
28-11-2009, 11:26 PM

You were the first guy on hibs.net to say that Fletcher and Bamba were SPL class? Wow!

Of course you were one of the first to proclaim your undying faith that Mixu would get the team sorted too :wink:

I'm sure we ALL get some predictions/opinions right and some wrong too over the years. I dont think I've ever noticed anyone on hibs.net showing noticeably more foresight than anyone else.

GC
28-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Looked very good, looks the part down there.

Well done Fletch.

Shrekko
28-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I think his current form highlights how a lot of people here wouldn't know a decent player if he kicked them up the arse.:greengrin

I think Andy is right mate- Fletch should have produced a heck of a lot more for Hibs in the last 2 years he was here. It's no wonder folk were having doubts.

He's got 8 goals already this season- 5 in the EPL at one of the smaller clubs.He should have been killing the SPL in his last year or two.

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Bollox, do a search. then make you apology for everyone to see.:blah:

I already did and can't go further back than 7/9/9. But i know what you said.

Well done on being 'first' with bamba. I thought we should have signed him after losing the semi-final against Dunfermline, but you must have been faster than me in prediting his rise to greatness. maybe you could do a link as a proof of your predictive powers?:faf:

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:32 PM
You were the first guy on hibs.net to say that Fletcher and Bamba were SPL class? Wow!

Of course you were one of the first to proclaim your undying faith that Mixu would get the team sorted too :wink:

I'm sure we ALL get some predictions/opinions right and some wrong too over the years. I dont think I've ever noticed anyone on hibs.net showing noticeably more foresight than anyone else.

No i was not first to say fletcher could play in the EPL, but i did say he could. I was probably one of the first to come out and say i thought Bamba could play at that level, while being ridiculed for saying it. I did say Mixu would get things right.:boo hoo: As meatloaf once said, 2 out of 3 aint bad.:wink:

oconnors_strip
28-11-2009, 11:33 PM
well done to steven on his success down at burnley:thumbsup:

credit has to go to the youth set up at hibs for developing an EPL goal scoring class player :top marks

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Well done on being 'first' with bamba. I thought we should have signed him after losing the semi-final against Dunfermline, but you must have been faster than me in prediting his rise to greatness. maybe you could do a link as a proof of your predictive powers?:faf:

No you dont, you have made it up. What you said is complete bollox, a bit like your prediting.:blah:

HH81
28-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I was actually at the game and he was one of Burnley's better players. He might have had a hat trick from memory as well.

Doing very well :agree::thumbsup:

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 11:39 PM
No you dont, you have made it up. What you said is complete bollox, a bit like your prediting.:blah:

Don't get so angry:faf: we're 2 points off the top of the league, don't let the fact you just got busted for making things up spoil your good mood:thumbsup:

Shrekko
28-11-2009, 11:39 PM
No i was not first to say fletcher could play in the EPL, but i did say he could. I was probably one of the first to come out and say i thought Bamba could play at that level, while being ridiculed for saying it. I did say Mixu would get things right.:boo hoo: As meatloaf once said, 2 out of 3 aint bad.:wink:

We'll need to see Sol prove himself down there first BH before it's 2/3.

Like Fletch- I agree he has the tools, but is not showing his full talent at Hibs at present (due to head elsewhere syndrome).

The most damning indictment on Fletch's performances last season is that nobody can say we're a poorer team this year without him. That shouldnt be the case.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Don't get so angry:faf: we're 2 points off the top of the league, don't let the fact you just got busted for making things up spoil your good mood:thumbsup:

I am in a good mood, laughing at your lies have given me a right good laugh.:faf:

Baader
29-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Never played as a striker under Mowbray and was unfortunate under Mixu that the supply was usually lumped 20 feet in the air to him. Good to see him doing well down there under a very good manager who will utilise him better than those he played for at ER.

Hibee_Rab
29-11-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm top of the Clydesdale bank predictor league :wink:

Hibee_Rab
29-11-2009, 12:42 AM

I remember Blackpool Hibs saying Fletcher could play in the EPL because it was pretty much the only positive thing he said towards the end of Mixus time:greengrin

Expecting Rain
29-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Sounded like one of my quotes! The guy has done brilliantly so far for Burnley, i`ll eat my words, good luck to him, he has a great work ethic and a fair bit of skill, after my endorsement his form should suffer now.:greengrin

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 11:39 AM
well done to steven on his success down at burnley:thumbsup:

credit has to go to the youth set up at hibs for developing an EPL goal scoring class player :top marks
:agree:

And when folks down south ask where he was before, it only does the reputation of our club immense good with regards to the development of younger players. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I remember Blackpool Hibs saying Fletcher could play in the EPL because it was pretty much the only positive thing he said towards the end of Mixus time:greengrin

Thank you sir.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 11:58 AM

No, never said that once.:confused: In fact i said he was good enough to play in the EPL, only to be told by the experts i was wrong.

I wish I could find that thread... you obviously either change your opinions very quickly or have a short-term memory because when he left us in teh summer I recall you saying he would be a failure in the Prem and wasnt good enough

Bollox, do a search. then make you apology for everyone to see.

Of course you were one of the first to proclaim your undying faith that Mixu would get the team sorted too

Well done on being 'first' with bamba. I thought we should have signed him after losing the semi-final against Dunfermline, but you must have been faster than me in prediting his rise to greatness. maybe you could do a link as a proof of your predictive powers?

No i was not first to say fletcher could play in the EPL, but i did say he could. I was probably one of the first to come out and say i thought Bamba could play at that level, while being ridiculed for saying it. I did say Mixu would get things right.:boo hoo: As meatloaf once said, 2 out of 3 aint bad.

No you dont, you have made it up. What you said is complete bollox, a bit like your prediting.

Don't get so angry:faf: we're 2 points off the top of the league, don't let the fact you just got busted for making things up spoil your good mood.

I am in a good mood, laughing at your lies have given me a right good laugh.

Ladies please!

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Ladies please!

If someone is going to tell blatant lies about me dave, i deserve the right to reply. You are an admin Dave, can you find any posts were i said Fletcher would never make it in the EPL? Can you go back further with our posts than we can?:confused:

Franck is God
29-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I said it before on this board that I have never understood any negativity towards the players produced via our youth system. I've always said that Fletcher is the best we have produced and from a young age felt that he would play at the top level in Football.

Hopefully his success this year will continue and Premiership clubs will sit up and take notice that a player doesn't have to be 'trialled' at an Old Firm club before they are deemed worthy of a move.

Well Done Fletch! Always knew you could do it.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Fletch is too one footed to make it in the EPL. Give him a couple of years and we'll get him back for peanuts.

Will that do? :wink:

500miles
29-11-2009, 12:12 PM

:faf:

I have to say, I though Fletch would be better starting at Championship level to toughen up a bit, but I always believed there was room for a player of such athleticism, size and with that we touch of class, in he EPL.

I'm pleased that he is progressing so quickly.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Very funny. :faf:

Scorrie
29-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Just been listening to Owen Coyle on Sky Sports and he is saying that Fletcher is superb. Left foot, RIGHT foot, in the air...Will develop into a top player so well done Fletch. Hope the tache put a sell on clause into the deal with Burnley

heretoday
29-11-2009, 02:34 PM
If he carries on like this, Fletcher is heading for one of the Big Four. Add Spurs and Villa to that!

hibsbollah
29-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I think thats four goals with his right foot now and one disallowed...could have been more that I havent noticed on highlights programmes. Nice to see a Scottish export able to use both feet equally well:top marks

chrisski33
29-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Perhaps fletch is getting better due to better training as he did say recently that they train for longer than when at hibs! Plus coyle better manager than mixu and playing in better league. Lets see what hes like nxt season. Anyone knnw if wed get any money if burnley sold him to one nf the bigger clubs like man u, liverpool?

heidtheba
29-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Aye well done to Fletch. I made a comment when we signed Stokes that I thought he (Stokes) would be better than Fletcher and we had a whole wad of money as well.
Still think and hope Stokes can do well but at the mo I see how wrong I was!

WindyMiller
29-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Thank you sir.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs in correct prediction shocker!
Will we ever hear the end of it. :bitchy:

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2080216&postcount=33

brog
29-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Well I know that myself & several others were adamant Fletch would make it & regardless I always ( or nearly always :wink: ) wish our ex players well. I believe Fletch is probably the most talented player we've produced in last 25 years with the other contenders being Deeks & another one footed player, JC. !!
As for those who claim Fletch never played in last 2 seasons, well I know football is all about opinions but I believe he gave his all in a team which was latterly short of ability & spirit. Go on Fletch, continue to shine.
PS, Burnley sell Lafferty for £3.5million, buy Fletch for £3million. Dick Turpin would be proud of that one & wattie's some judge of a player! :faf:

marinello59
29-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I believe Fletch is probably the most talented player we've produced in last 25 years with the other contenders being Deeks & another one footed player, JC. !!
As for those who claim Fletch never played in last 2 seasons, well I know football is all about opinions but I believe he gave his all in a team which was latterly short of ability & spirit. Go on Fletch, continue to shine.

:top marks

down-the-slope
29-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Just been listening to Owen Coyle on Sky Sports and he is saying that Fletcher is superb. Left foot, RIGHT foot, in the air...Will develop into a top player so well done Fletch. Hope the tache put a sell on clause into the deal with Burnley

Aye could be worth more than origional fee ...how funny would that be :greengrin

Onceinawhile
29-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Thought Fletch would struggle in the EPL much like G'oC has done, however, a doff of the cap to the young man. He is scoring and getting assists. Could have had a hat trick but showed brains to leave it for Eagles.

As many league goals as Adebayor and Bellamy:agree:

And about 1/25th of the price as well.

ancient hibee
29-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Let's be realistic-scoring 2 goals against West Ham who are 5 up and are not exactly bursting a gut doesn't turn you into the new Jimmy Greaves but I hope it gives him a boost.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Perhaps fletch is getting better due to better training as he did say recently that they train for longer than when at hibs! Plus coyle better manager than mixu and playing in better league. Lets see what hes like nxt season. Anyone knnw if wed get any money if burnley sold him to one nf the bigger clubs like man u, liverpool?

Maybe Fletcher is predicated to train for longer at Burnley since he's being paid 10x as much?

Maybe he'd have got there sooner had he taken it upon himself top stay back after training at East Mains to bang a ball off a wall with his right foot?

LancashireHibby
29-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Let's be realistic-scoring 2 goals against West Ham who are 5 up and are not exactly bursting a gut doesn't turn you into the new Jimmy Greaves but I hope it gives him a boost.

Certainly won't do him any harm, and he still had to get himself in the positions to finish off the chances.

Owain_1987
29-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Him and Eagles seem be the only players playing for Burnley yesterday. Also thanks Fletch you were to only one get me points in fantasy football :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
30-11-2009, 01:11 AM
It underlines that it's a very difficult thing to say whether a player will be successful in the EPL coming from Scotland. Many times you can't really look at how well they do up here, you have to take other attributes into account.

For example, I believe that Kris Boyd would be a failure in the EPL, should anyone be silly enough to take a chance on him. Fletcher was nowhere the scorer that Boyd was up here, but you just knew he had the quality to step up to that level.

People like Blackpool, (and myself for that matter) have said that Bamba would be a hit in the EPL. I really believe that he'd be far more effective than, say, Barry Ferguson, who would probably always be a more successful SPL player.

GlesgaeHibby
30-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Well I know that myself & several others were adamant Fletch would make it & regardless I always ( or nearly always :wink: ) wish our ex players well. I believe Fletch is probably the most talented player we've produced in last 25 years with the other contenders being Deeks & another one footed player, JC. !!
PS, Burnley sell Lafferty for £3.5million, buy Fletch for £3million. Dick Turpin would be proud of that one & wattie's some judge of a player! :faf:

Spot on.

I don't understand the view that he had a poor season last season with us. The service he got was god awful and he was constantly having to drop deep to pick up the ball since our midfield was either

a. hopeless

or

b. non existant

We miss his movement as well, his intelligence on the football pitch was excellent.

Andy74
30-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Spot on.

I don't understand the view that he had a poor season last season with us. The service he got was god awful and he was constantly having to drop deep to pick up the ball since our midfield was either

a. hopeless

or

b. non existant

We miss his movement as well, his intelligence on the football pitch was excellent.

Don't know about that, earlty season him and nish ahd a nightmare with missed chances and wasted alan o'Briens handful of good games!!

After that Fletcher missed several straightforward one on ones and balls at the back post that he went with with his wrong foot.

It's a bit wide of the mark to say he got no service when there were so many obvious chances he missed.

He does have the ability, no doubting that, and that makes his contribution for us even worse - as mentioned above a guy who has scored so many EPL goals now should have been blowing us away with his finishing when he got those chances.

I still think he is putting effort in now that he wasn't when with us.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Don't know about that, earlty season him and nish ahd a nightmare with missed chances and wasted alan o'Briens handful of good games!!

Stop it andy.:faf: :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
30-11-2009, 10:20 AM

After that Fletcher missed several straightforward one on ones and balls at the back post that he went with with his wrong foot.

It's a bit wide of the mark to say he got no service when there were so many obvious chances he missed.

He does have the ability, no doubting that, and that makes his contribution for us even worse - as mentioned above a guy who has scored so many EPL goals now should have been blowing us away with his finishing when he got those chances.

I still think he is putting effort in now that he wasn't when with us.

When did these happen?

:confused:

Andy74
30-11-2009, 10:30 AM
When did these happen?

:confused:

Pre and early season culminating in O'Brien getting fans signing his name and standing ovation against Falkirk. Fletcher and Nish missed several opportunities.

Fletcher missed several more over the course of the season at important times.