PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon - any more out there?

Hibby 2005
28-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Pure magic.

Dibben
29-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Thought DW played great yesterday, and that pass for the 2nd goal was simply outstanding!!

BH.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow.

I thought he had as poor a game as I've seen him play. As did the folk around me.

Super pass for the goal, but his distribution prior to that was awful.

Baw187
29-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Thought DW played great yesterday, and that pass for the 2nd goal was simply outstanding!!

BH.

:agree:

That pass wouldn't be out of place in a top 4 EPL game. I watched it again and again on HI and you just don't see that kind of pass much in the SPL. The vision to play it where he did, with the weight he did, was ridiculous.

I must add that I am agreeing and talking about the pass... I don't think DW had one of his best games overall. Seemed to panic a bit when we were defending.

lyonhibs
29-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow.

I thought he had as poor a game as I've seen him play. As did the folk around me.

Didn't think he started off too cleverly defensively.

Get him at RM, not Right back for me.

He's still class though. :agree: :agree:

Dibben
29-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow.

:dunno:

Maybe my blinkered view is because I remember that pass from the end of the game...

Maybe saying he's a great player (at least the makings of) is more accurate!

:greengrin

BH.

ChicoM1875
29-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I reckon McCormack looked quality at right back when he came on. And he linked up with Wotherspoon well.

Wotherspoon certainly gave more than zouma at RM today. That pass for goal 2 was sublime. :top marks

zlatan
29-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow.

Ditto.

Done little of note aside from that brilliant assist for the 2nd, he is definitely wasted at right back.

McCormacks brief performance yesterday was enough to convince me he should be at RB until we get the chance to strengthen in January.

forthhibby
29-11-2009, 09:53 AM
David Wotherspoon plays better when he's at the opposite side of the park from yogi, so you will only get one good half per game from him

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 09:54 AM
:dunno:

Maybe my blinkered view is because I remember that pass from the end of the game...

Maybe saying he's a great player (at least the makings of) is more accurate!

:greengrin

BH.

I really like him, I really want him to do well and I do think he's a fine player, but it wasn't happening for him yesterday.

My mate, who hasn't got an axe to grind either, suggested it was time to rest him.

Amazing how perceptions can vary so much.

jakedance
29-11-2009, 10:05 AM
He's just not a right back. Let McCormack settle in there and get Wotherspoon further forward. Zouma can play in that role behind the strikers that Benji was tried in.

Baw187
29-11-2009, 10:07 AM
He's just not a right back. Let McCormack settle in there and get Wotherspoon further forward. Zouma can play in that role behind the strikers that Benji was tried in.

Ye, if McCormack can keep playing as he did when he came on yesterday, then fine. But we all have short memories becasue many were shouting for DM to get dropped at the begining of the season after a few bad showings. Woptherspoon coming in to RB and Murray coming in to LB (for Hanlon) settled our team.

jakedance
29-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Ye, if McCormack can keep playing as he did when he came on yesterday, then fine. But we all have short memories becasue many were shouting for DM to get dropped at the begining of the season after a few bad showings. Woptherspoon coming in to RB and Murray coming in to LB (for Hanlon) settled our team.

True. What I really want to see is McCann fit. That will be like a new signing.

PaulSmith
29-11-2009, 11:34 AM
David Wotherspoon plays better when he's at the opposite side of the park from yogi, so you will only get one good half per game from him

:confused:

Strange, strange thing to say.

Sloppy
29-11-2009, 11:46 AM

play him left mid :wink:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought Darren McCormack looked much better at full back when he came on, but the ball through for Riordan was world class. Now i'm not saying Wotherspoon is world class, yet.:wink: But that through ball was superb.

I think Wotherspoon is better further forward, although he needs to learn not to keep running up blind alleys, but hopefully he is going to be a very good player for us.:thumbsup:

forthhibby
29-11-2009, 11:54 AM

yesterday when he got forward to get pass in for deeks 2nd, was east stand side, his shot against celtic which borruc saved - east stand side. his shot against yams at pbs, was opposite side from dug outs. i'm telling you, he's afraid to pass yogi standing on sidelines:thumbsup:

Toaods
29-11-2009, 12:06 PM
overall I'd give Wotherspoon a 7.

First 30 mins his distribution was diabolical but thought he made up for it by working hard and recovering the ball on a good few occassions.

middle 30 wasn't too heavily involved but didn't do too much wrong.

Fial 30 mins he came on strong and that final run and crossfield pass was perfect for a finisher like Deek to collect.

Hibby Bairn
29-11-2009, 12:17 PM
yesterday when he got forward to get pass in for deeks 2nd, was east stand side, his shot against celtic which borruc saved - east stand side. his shot against yams at pbs, was opposite side from dug outs. i'm telling you, he's afraid to pass yogi standing on sidelines:thumbsup:

Think he scored v St Mirren on Yogi's side. And yesterday his blind run when he almost volleyed in at the back post was also on Yogi's side.

Maybe Hughes was taking a pee at the time? :dunno:

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-11-2009, 07:46 AM
My biggest worry about DW is that he is not a full back. Not in a million years. With being a youngster he maybe can't stand up to Yogi and also, I suppose, you would want players to be committed to the shirt. But I suspect that wee Lewis Stevenson, may have missed the boat because of his willingness to play at the back and the manager goes and buys a midfield, when he should really have been a straight swap for the departed Katy. I wonder if the same may happen to Wotherspoon. To a lesser degree, the same happened to Stephen Glass. Filled in at the back, then couldn't get back in the side in his proper place.

SmashinGlass
30-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Pass for the goal was sublime!

Agree I thought he had a fairly poor game on Saturday, but in fairness we should not be expecting the consistency from someone with David's experience. The fact that this is probably his first poor game so far says a lot for the lad's temperament and ability!

As long as he learns from his relatively poor performance (which I'm sure he will!) he will be fine

Keep up the good work David!!! :agree:

Love the Green
30-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Thought he did ok but very hard for such a young inexperienced lad to play out of position in a defence where other than Murray he gets no guidance from anyone.

Alweays think when a young lad comes into the first team he neds to be assisted as much as possible to do himself justice ie play him in his favoured position..hence the fact we need a RB asap...to let the lad play in midfield..this would also bring a bit of strenghth and presence to the MF....SAYING THIS HE HAS DONE WELL WHEREVER HE IS PLAYED.

"keep the faith":wink:

HibeeB
30-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow.

:agree:

That pass wouldn't be out of place in a top 4 EPL game. I watched it again and again on HI and you just don't see that kind of pass much in the SPL. The vision to play it where he did, with the weight he did, was ridiculous.

I must add that I am agreeing and talking about the pass... I don't think DW had one of his best games overall. Seemed to panic a bit when we were defending.

Ditto.

Done little of note aside from that brilliant assist for the 2nd, he is definitely wasted at right back.

McCormacks brief performance yesterday was enough to convince me he should be at RB until we get the chance to strengthen in January.

overall I'd give Wotherspoon a 7.

First 30 mins his distribution was diabolical but thought he made up for it by working hard and recovering the ball on a good few occassions.

middle 30 wasn't too heavily involved but didn't do too much wrong.

Fial 30 mins he came on strong and that final run and crossfield pass was perfect for a finisher like Deek to collect.

He also played the ball forward for Zemamma to put in the cross for the first goal.

A well judged ball played into the perfect space for Zoomer to collect it.

I like DW :wink:

ahibby
30-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Seeing as McCormack has been brought in to this, is he not a central defender as opposed to right back and does he not lack the pace to get back. I am sure people were saying on here last week that McCormack would get skinned at right back against the Falkirk winger and right enough the only time their winger sailed into the box was when McCormack came on. I am pretty sure Yogi held off putting him on in the hope the pace might go out of their winger (or maybe he was taken off anyway before McCormack came on?). Anyway, I am not sure he has the pace for right back when at Hibs you are expected to play like a winger at times.

Ronaldo9
30-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Seeing as McCormack has been brought in to this, is he not a central defender as opposed to right back and does he not lack the pace to get back. I am sure people were saying on here last week that McCormack would get skinned at right back against the Falkirk winger and right enough the only time their winger sailed into the box was when McCormack came on. I am pretty sure Yogi held off putting him on in the hope the pace might go out of their winger (or maybe he was taken off anyway before McCormack came on?). Anyway, I am not sure he has the pace for right back when at Hibs you are expected to play like a winger at times.

Utter nonsense! DW is no quicker than DMC trust me

ahibby
30-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Utter nonsense! DW is no quicker than DMC trust me

I take it you don't agree with the few blokes who posted otherwise on here last week. I've never seen them race so I am not saying one is faster than the other but some have said that DW is definitely faster. You sound like you know better how is that are you going by what you have seen in matches or in training? What was his position before he came in to the first team squad?

Love the Green
30-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Yes but that was when Benji did not play the ball to dazza as he overlapped..as ever he tried the world cup pass thro the eye of a needle..they broke and daz wasleft stranded.

Ronaldo9
30-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I take it you don't agree with the few blokes who posted otherwise on here last week. I've never seen them race so I am not saying one is faster than the other but some have said that DW is definitely faster. You sound like you know better how is that are you going by what you have seen in matches or in training? What was his position before he came in to the first team squad?

DW was and imo still is a midfielder.

DMC was a prolific striker when I played with him as boys, he has been a CB for about 8 years until Mixup decided he was better as a RB

Rossco1875
30-11-2009, 04:08 PM
wotherspoon is still young and learning his trade but that pass is a sign that their is much more to come from him and class player in the making.

Barney McGrew
30-11-2009, 06:21 PM
He's learning the RB position just now, in the same way that Whittaker did. Whits was also a right midfielder before he broke into the first team, and it's fair to say he's done not bad with his career so far (bar signing for the Forces of Darkness :wink:)

Wotherspoon will turn out to be a fantastic player if he continues to develop in the way he has. He's going to have his good games and he's going to have his bad games, and he'll struggle to be consistent, but that's all part of maturing as a player.

What we do have now is a young man with bags of potential, who can deliver a phenomenal ball into the box and who has a wee bit of swagger about him. It's up to him to take that potential and fulfill it.

Cocaine&Caviar
30-11-2009, 06:40 PM
_______McBride___Miller

Spoony___Zouma___Riordan

That looks a class midfield to me, if we had a Killen up top, it would be a great attacking weapon...

ahibby
01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes but that was when Benji did not play the ball to dazza as he overlapped..as ever he tried the world cup pass thro the eye of a needle..they broke and daz wasleft stranded.

Well spotted:thumbsup:

MyJo
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
wotherspoon was outstanding when he got moved up to right midfield and proved it with that killer pass to deeks, I also think that McCormack done very well at right back and offers more as a naturalised defender rather than wotherspoon who is a converted midfielder.

I would stick with McCormack at right back and put Wotherspoon into midfield for the next few games:

__________________Stack

McCormack____Hogg____Bamba____Murray

_____________McBride____Miller

Wotherspoon_______Zoumer________Riordan

__________________Stokes