PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the anti-Maka krap on the match thread?

Pages : [1] 2

Nailrod
28-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Pelters from a number of people who presumably couldn't make it to the match and were listening on the radio. Guess what guys - the 'pundits' love to create a story where none exists... "Hey! Hibs have another rubbish goalie!"

Maka didn't put a foot wrong today. When he took the ball round Bullen he was entitled to as a lash up the park might well have been charged down. And I very much doubt that Stack would have reached the Moutinho chip, which was perfectly weighted - Maka only just got fingertips to it and he was right in position when it came in.

GC
28-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Pelters from a number of people who presumably couldn't make it to the match and were listening on the radio. Guess what guys - the 'pundits' love to create a story where none exists... "Hey! Hibs have another rubbish goalie!"

Maka didn't put a foot wrong today. When he took the ball round Bullen he was entitled to as a lash up the park might well have been charged down. And I very much doubt that Stack would have reached the Moutinho chip, which was perfectly weighted - Maka only just got fingertips to it and he was right in position when it came in.

You either love or hate Maka on here.

He's out of contract at the end of the year, said it before and I'll say it again, we will regret losing him if we don't offer him new terms and he goes for nothing.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 08:20 PM

He's out of contract at the end of the year, said it before and I'll say it again, we will regret losing him if we don't offer him new terms and he goes for nothing.

By all accounts the radio guys were saying he was pish - so that might've been swaying the minds of those that weren't at the game to see for themselves.

--------
28-11-2009, 08:20 PM

This is not a fashionable point of view, Nailrod.

However, as one who wasn't at the game, but had a reliable source of information there on my behalf, I believe that your account is pretty accurate. I like the big guy; I'm content that we have him and GS as our first-team keepers, and i won't be getting in a tizzy if he plays from the bstart next week.

It doesn't help that, as DH says, the so-called 'experts' on BBC radio and TV were extremely negative about him.

The wee creep (Jonathan?) who does the emails on Sportscene came out with some comment about Hibs winning 'in spite of' Maka playing the second half - that's 'in spite of' the fact that Maka pulled off a very good save to push the ball onto the bar when the score was 1-0 to Hibs - and kept a clean sheet. The big guy can't win.

Removed
28-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Aye he's young and full of potential :blah:

GC
28-11-2009, 08:21 PM
By all accounts the radio guys were saying he was pish - so that might've been swaying the minds of those that weren't at the game to see for themselves.

Nah I know that but I think some fans have their mind made up regardless if he was to save 3 penalties in injury time.

The pundits are always going to slate Maka.

Ed De Gramo
28-11-2009, 08:22 PM

:top marks

Got the potential to be a decent keeper if he gets the right guidance (and not that plonker Marshall)...

Might have to tone down the excessive casual style of keeping though :greengrin

GC
28-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Aye he's young and full of potential :blah:

I dinnae care how old he is.

He's a good keeper and has improved every season we have had him.

Nailrod
28-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it DH, but ****** the 'radio guys' and their 'accounts'. He pulled off one very good save, didn't put a foot wrong otherwise, and dealt very neatly with a difficult back pass that also allowed him to sitick a big fat one up to the Falkirk fans behind him who had been on his case for the whole 45 minutes (although maybe they were actually 'Hibs fans')

Hainan Hibs
28-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Good to hear Maka had a good game, I only had radio to listen to and they did seem to put the boot in whenever they could, even when the match was at the Falkirk end there were one or two cheap digs at Maka for no reason.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 08:36 PM

He never took the ball round Bullen.

He bumbled if off him and was lucky to get away with it.

Geez me the *****rs.

Not a patch on Stack and when his contract runs out he will be away.

Thank f***.

Hibby 2005
28-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Hibs net. were critical of Maka which was a shame as he's a young guy still learning his trade which is more than can be said of them.

Hibby Bairn
28-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Always amazed at the amount of regular posters on here who are on the match thread when we are at home. Bar the guys who live far away why don't you just go to the game?

--------
28-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Geez me the *****rs.

Not a patch on Stokes and when his contract runs out he will be away.

Thank f***.

So you don't think he'll make it as a striker..... :cool2:

--------
28-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Always amazed at the amount of regular posters on here who are on the match thread when we are at home. Bar the guys who live far away why don't you just go to the game?

Today? Gotta bug. Gippy tummy.

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Spot on Nailrod..........:top marks

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it DH, but ****** the 'radio guys' and their 'accounts'. He pulled off one very good save, didn't put a foot wrong otherwise, and dealt very neatly with a difficult back pass that also allowed him to sitick a big fat one up to the Falkirk fans behind him who had been on his case for the whole 45 minutes (although maybe they were actually 'Hibs fans')

I agree - the radio guys have had it in for him for a while for seom reason. Even the non-biased ones!

I thought he done ok today. Decent back-up for Stack. :agree:

hibee_girl
28-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Maka didn't have a lot to do today but he did do well, his save was brilliant :agree:

The thing with the Bullen incident is if it had cost us a goal he would have, rightly, got pelters but it didn't so we can just look upon it as a great peace of play from Maka :wink:

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 08:45 PM
So you don't think he'll make it as a striker..... :cool2:

Read the post again Doddie, if yer not fast yer last.

He will never be a goalie in your or my lifetime.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Maka didn't have a lot to do today but he did do well, his save was brilliant :agree:

The thing with the Bullen incident is if it had cost us a goal he would have, rightly, got pelters but it didn't so we can just look upon it as a great peace of play from Maka :wink:

So do you think its a good idea to muck about in your own box and try to dribble around incoming players?

hibee_girl
28-11-2009, 08:49 PM
So do you think its a good idea to muck about in your own box and try to dribble around incoming players?

It's not the best idea in the world but he got away with it, today.

--------
28-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Read the post again Doddie, if yer not fast yer last.

He will never be a goalie in your or my lifetime.

So you know how to edit your posts? Good, good.... :devil:

He IS a goalkeeper. If he weren't, we might very well have lost today. Bad enough that the opposing fans and the Beeb are on his case. Tough that he has his own fans always on his back as well.

jabis
28-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I go to Easter Road to be entairtained.....Maka entertains me !

I like him as a goalie,what was that liverpool goalie called(South African) ?

end of ! (for me)

Hibs Spain
28-11-2009, 08:52 PM
So do you think its a good idea to muck about in your own box and try to dribble around incoming players?I wouldn't be keen for him to do it again unless it was his only option. On this ocassion he should have belted it out for a shy ... Don't forget an attempted punt up the park might have resulted in the ball coming back of their strker who was right on him! Pulled it off though .. With aplomb :greengrin

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 08:52 PM
So you know how to edit your posts? Good, good.... :devil:

He IS a goalkeeper. If he weren't, we might very well have lost today. Bad enough that the opposing fans and the Beeb are on his case. Tough that he has his own fans always on his back as well.

Just edited before you correctly picked me up.

IMO he won't make it, time will tell.

BTW as I was typing the above he just knocked it off Bullen after 86 minutes, another incident where it could have went diddlies up.

GC
28-11-2009, 08:56 PM

BTW as I was typing the above he just knocked it off Bullen after 86 minutes, another incident where it could have went diddlies up.

Don't see why he won't make it.

He has all the qualities to do so, the main issue people have with him is that he is eccentric, laid back and does things at a stroll.

Why is everyone concerned about the bit of skill he did today, if he messed it up then fine, come here, go to the pub, tell you missus how much of a prat he is but the thing is right, and this is where you might all be shocked...he never messed it up.

Bit of flair and entertainment is the game and pulled it off no bother.

Leave the bashing for when he deserves it.

Hibs Spain
28-11-2009, 08:57 PM

BTW as I was typing the above he just knocked it off Bullen after 86 minutes, another incident where it could have went diddlies up.Was that similar to the one Stack smacked off a Celtic player and the ball went like a bullet back to his goal missing by about a foot? Or was that OK cos it was Stack who nearly screwed up?

ArabHibee
28-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Was that similar to the one Stack smacked off a Celtic player and the ball went like a bullet back to his goal missing by about a foot? Or was that OK cos it was Stack who nearly screwed up?

:agree: Correct. It was OK. Coz it was Stack.

Keep up man, this is an anti-Maka thread.

Andy74
28-11-2009, 09:00 PM

I was at the game and in one half managed to make me more nervous about the keeper than I have been recently. Made a good save but was way too casual twice that nearly cost us. I've been defending him for ages but the difference in him and stack was pretty obvious half to half. The fact we are having this conersation when we haven't had to recently says it all. There's a good keeper in there but he can't be trusted just to get on with it without any fuss.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:01 PM

He has all the qualities to do so, the main issue people have with him is that he is eccentric, laid back and does things at a stroll.

Why is everyone concerned about the bit of skill he did today, if he messed it up then fine, come here, go to the pub, tell you missus how much of a prat he is but the thing is right, and this is where you might all be shocked...he never messed it up.

He didn't mess it up today so does that make it ok for him to muck about in his own box?

I can give you plenty of instances wnen he did muck up if you care to go on.

Just Jimmy
28-11-2009, 09:02 PM
The radio pair were embarrassing at best. The constantly wet themselves that Hibs may conceed a goal, I listened for about 20 minutes from before the second goal and switched if off after it went 2-0.

The Falkirk'd this and that, slated Maka for everything. Had a right go at Rankin, called Yogis subs wrong and generally were a pair of herts clowns.

jabis
28-11-2009, 09:03 PM
:agree: Correct. It was OK. Coz it was Stack.

Keep up man, this is an anti-Maka thread.

no it's no.....

I previously stated I like him ,along with many other thrill seekers :agree:

GC
28-11-2009, 09:04 PM
He didn't mess it up today so does that make it ok for him to muck about in his own box?

I know the instances so you don't need to give me them, are we going to hold those against him.

I could give you instances for almost every keeper I have seen play professionally.

To answer your question though, it is not as if he mucked around in the box all half, or every game when he plays for Hibs, it was spur of the moment, a bit of quick thinking to clear the ball and it worked, why people are using it as a stick to beat him with I have no idea.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Was that similar to the one Stack smacked off a Celtic player and the ball went like a bullet back to his goal missing by about a foot? Or was that OK cos it was Stack who nearly screwed up?

You are well documented on here as the secretary of the Maka fan club.

Speaks volumes that you haven't been on in weeks because of Stack's decent run.

And when you do come back you refer to his league debut.

Where have you been since then?

Removed
28-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Footballing equivalent of the boys who try and run over the M8 without getting hit by a car.

Problem is the odds are high that it'll hurt and it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I'd rather get my kicks watching the strikers score goals than a goalie being a fanny but whatever turns you on I suppose

Hibs Spain
28-11-2009, 09:05 PM

I can give you plenty of instances wnen he did muck up if you care to go on.If Falkirk's "goal" had been allowed to stand,who would you have blamed for it?

Brummie_Hibs
28-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Just watched the game on BBC Alba and I don't see what Maka did wrong? :confused:

Bamba in the meanwhile - how many mis-timed headers did he have? Heading should be a basic skill for a defender!!

Finally, I don't think Riordan can claim that first goal.... It was going wide and was deflected in for an OG.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I know the instances so you don't need to give me them, are we going to hold those against him.

I could give you instances for almost every keeper I have seen play professionally.

To answer your question though, it is not as if he mucked around in the box all half, or every game when he plays for Hibs, it was spur of the moment, a bit of quick thinking to clear the ball and it worked, why people are using it as a stick to beat him with I have no idea.

He got away with it today but if he showed a bit more urgency he could have cleared his lines long before Bullen got near him.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:08 PM
If Falkirk's "goal" had been allowed to stand,who would you have blamed for it?

The ref.

The ball had crossed the bye line.

End of.

GC
28-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Footballing equivalent of the boys who try and run over the M8 without getting hit by a car.

Problem is the odds are high that it'll hurt and it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I'd rather get my kicks watching the strikers score goals than a goalie being a fanny but whatever turns you on I suppose

I get my kicks seeing Hibs play well, same as you.

He never did anything wrong today, so why the need to have a go at him.

The multiple threads on Maka today are because of the fans who just don't like him not because he made any sort of error when he was on the pitch.

Someone show where he did anything wrong today?

Why can we not just accept that he came on for Stack, did what he had to do and kept a clean sheet.

Is it so hard to say well done?

hibbie02
28-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Having just watched the game on Alba, I have to say the guys on the radio were talking shee-ite about Maka and made me comment adversely on the match thread. It was them giving me the jitters no Maka. Yes he had a couple of shakey moments but nothing as bad as they made out. He was a bit too casual at times and the Cruyff dragback was either legendary or "too casual".

I suppose if Cech does it for Chelsea it is magic. If Maka does it for Hibs it is a bomb scare.

Anyhoooo I still hope Stack is back next week.

GC
28-11-2009, 09:11 PM
He got away with it today but if he showed a bit more urgency he could have cleared his lines long before Bullen got near him.

I never seen the issue with the way he dealt with it to be honest so don't really care for if's.

hibsbollah
28-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Just the usual scapegoating rubbish:bitchy:
Ignore it and focus on the fact we're 2 points off the top of the league in December:greengrin

millarco
28-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the game today, but caught the radio full-time report and the match-update thread on here and feared the worst; a shocking performance which should have cost us points.

Having watched the game on BBC Alba and spoken to people who were at the game I really don't see what all the fuss was about. The save from Moutinho was sensational, few keepers would have reached that. Other than that he had little to do. His distribution looked excellent, and he sweeped up anything that came his way.

The turn on Bullen has been blown out of all proportion, and a perfect example of the kind of criticism that Maka endures from his own support. It was another instance of something which might have gone wrong, but ultimately didn't. Stack has performed similar turns in the past and, quite rightly, it hasn't had a mention on here. Having watched Maka in previous warm-ups he has surprised me with his high level of technique, performing the kind of flicks and tricks that wouldn't normally be associated with goalkeepers. And people should really know better than to believe the media, especially the likes of Preston.

FWIW I think Maka's a good player to have in the squad. He's a talented goalkeeper, and a fantastic character. Sadly he won't be here next season, partly due to the treatment of some of the support, and that is shocking. Think it would be best if he did move on and get a fresh start somewhere else, and I've no doubt that he'll be a success and it'll be our loss.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I never seen the issue with the way he dealt with it to be honest so don't really care for if's.

Maybe you didn't have issue with it but I did.

So did Yogi.

I trust Yogi's judgement more than yours.

Opinions eh.

--------
28-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the game today, but caught the radio full-time report and the match-update thread on here and feared the worst; a shocking performance which should have cost us points.

Having watched the game on BBC Alba and spoken to people who were at the game I really don't see what all the fuss was about. The save from Moutinho was sensational, few keepers would have reached that. Other than that he had little to do. His distribution looked excellent, and he sweeped up anything that came his way.

The turn on Bullen has been blown out of all proportion, and a perfect example of the kind of criticism that Maka endures from his own support. It was another instance of something which might have gone wrong, but ultimately didn't. Stack has performed similar turns in the past and, quite rightly, it hasn't had a mention on here. Having watched Maka in previous warm-ups he has surprised me with his high level of technique, performing the kind of flicks and tricks that wouldn't normally be associated with goalkeepers. And people should really know better than to believe the media, especially the likes of Preston.

FWIW I think Maka's a good player to have in the squad. He's a talented goalkeeper, and a fantastic character. Sadly he won't be here next season, partly due to the treatment of some of the support, and that is shocking. Think it would be best if he did move on and get a fresh start somewhere else, and I've no doubt that he'll be a success and it'll be our loss.

:agree:

GC
28-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe you didn't have issue with it but I did.

So did Yogi.

I trust Yogi's judgement more than yours.

Opinions eh.

We both see parts of of a game differently, we form different opinions.

We both support Hibs though so all is good:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Just got back in, the traffic was terrible getting out of Edinburgh today:grr: So have not seen the game on alba, but my take on Maka's 2nd half was, it was cool play when he did Bullen, risky, but he kept the ball and gave it to a Hibs player. The save was superb tipping that chip onto the bar and over. I thought he was way to slow coming off his line, when i think bullen beat him to the through ball. As Andy says, Stack is just a better keeper, and fills me personally with more confidence.

Nailrod
28-11-2009, 09:20 PM

That's not how I remember it from my vantage point at the back of the West South Lower, but I appreciate that your mind can mislead you about such things, so I'll make a point of coming back onto this thread and apologising to you if the HI highlights prove me wrong.

I also thought that Maka's kicking was excellent, which might go some way to explaining why Nish was so much more effective in the second half.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:22 PM
We both see parts of of a game differently, we form different opinions.

We both support Hibs though so all is good:thumbsup:

Agreed. Upwards and onwards.

big-mo
28-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Name them then.
Maka is a good keeper, as previous stated 'he entertains' and saves goals. One of his best abilities is to dribble, not everyone likes to see that in a keeper, but I do. Whenever a forward thinks they can take him on and all they end up doing is sitting on their chorus while Maka walks it out, that’s entertainment and you can guarantee the forward will not try that again.

ancient hibee
28-11-2009, 09:23 PM
In the scary moments he was actually in total control of what he was doing.Can't ask for any more.

Hibs Spain
28-11-2009, 09:25 PM
That's not how I remember it from my vantage point at the back of the West South Lower, but I appreciate that your mind can mislead you about such things, so I'll make a point of coming back onto this thread and apologising to you if the HI highlights prove me wrong.

I also thought that Maka's kicking was excellent, which might go some way to explaining why Nish was so much more effective in the second half.Yeh .. His kicking was immaculate and dropping in around the centre circle on their side,coming with a trajectory that allowed the forwards to take it on the chest or a controlled header on the ball. :agree:

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:26 PM

I also thought that Maka's kicking was excellent, which might go some way to explaining why Nish was so much more effective in the second half.

I've viewed it on Alba since my original reply to you, haven't changed my opinion and as I posted after he knocked another off Bullen later.

No need to apologise even if you do decide against your original thought, you are entitled to your opinion / take on events.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Name them then.
Maka is a good keeper, as previous stated 'he entertains' and saves goals. One of his best abilities is to dribble, not everyone likes to see that in a keeper, but I do. Whenever a forward thinks they can take him on and all they end up doing is sitting on their chorus while Maka walks it out, that’s entertainment and you can guarantee the forward will not try that again.

OK.

Number one.

Knocking the ball off Lee Miller at Pittodrie last year when he could have thrown the ball out.

Defend that.

jabis
28-11-2009, 09:34 PM
If Wotherspoon did Micky stewart in the 6 yard box,would the whingers be slagging off the "showboat clip" ?

big-mo
28-11-2009, 09:37 PM
OK.

Number one.

Knocking the ball off Lee Miller at Pittodrie last year when he could have thrown the ball out.

Defend that.
Ok, that's one, no one is perfect. :wink: I would still rather have him in goal than the 'world class' Boruc.

jabis
28-11-2009, 09:38 PM
OK.

Number one.

Defend that.

You defend it !

Yours sincerely

R.Jones + C.Hogg

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 09:40 PM
You defend it !

Yours sincerely

R.Jones + C.Hogg

That one is indefensible.

As was the one v Hearts in the Scottish and the 2 v Aberdeen when Brewster scored.

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:40 PM
You defend it !

Yours sincerely

R.Jones + C.Hogg

what are you trying to say?

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:42 PM
If Wotherspoon did Micky stewart in the 6 yard box,would the whingers be slagging off the "showboat clip" ?

point being it was nowhere near the six yard box.

if it was I would be saying it was not the place to do it.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Maka did not do a lot wrong today, slow off his line once, thats about it. He had a decent game, and made a very good save. I prefer Stack, imho he's better, but Maka did ok today, what he's done in the past makes no difference to that.

jabis
28-11-2009, 09:54 PM

As was the one v Hearts in the Scottish and the 2 v Aberdeen when Brewster scored.
correct

what are you trying to say?
bawbag ?:confused:

point being it was nowhere near the six yard box.
point fekkin being,were in 2nd place and kept a CLEAN SHEET
if it was I would be saying it was not the place to do it.
BORING

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 09:56 PM
correct

bawbag ?:confused:

boring

are you drunk?

Ed De Gramo
28-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Love Maka....but if that was actually a striker...that was a goal :agree:

Bullen's an ancient huddy :greengrin

But well done to Maka & Stack for keeping clean sheets :cool2:

Ed De Gramo
28-11-2009, 09:59 PM

TBF, for every error that Maka has been part of, he's made up for with some cracking saves and also saved a couple from the penalty spot :agree:

oconnors_strip
28-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Name them then.

so you want entertainment rather than a steady and safe keeper?

as for they wont try it again, i think any striker would. nine times out of ten a stiker will get past a keeper in that situation.

maka shrugging his shoulders at yogi after his "entertainment" and slowing the game down:bitchy: he needs some bloody respect for his manager!!!:grr:

jabis
28-11-2009, 10:09 PM
are you drunk?

are you on crack ?

:confused:

Hibs Spain
28-11-2009, 10:16 PM

as for they wont try it again, i think any striker would. nine times out of ten a stiker will get past a keeper in that situation.

maka shrugging his shoulders at yogi after his "entertainment" and slowing the game down:bitchy: he needs some bloody respect for his manager!!!:grr:You think a keeper who can't deal with crosses is steady and safe because he stands on his line? Because that's all Stack does. I'm sorry to say but when his luck runs out we're going to get a doing! And before you start,he's no better than average when it comes to all the other stuff any other keeper can do..

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 10:18 PM
are you on crack ?

:confused:

In this thread I have had a difference of opinion with Nailrod, GC and Hibs Spain.

I have no issues with that or them, they argued their corners very well.

However when it comes to you I have no clue where you are coming from, I don't even know if you are argueing or agreeing with me.

Fair to say we are on different planets.

millarco
28-11-2009, 10:22 PM

maka shrugging his shoulders at yogi after his "entertainment" and slowing the game down:bitchy: he needs some bloody respect for his manager!!!:grr:

Nonsense. You see a situation like that every couple of games, and I can't remember ever being at a game where the striker has mugged the keeper.

Maka probably didn't see what the big deal was. He kept possession instead of lumping the ball up. I'm pretty sure Maka has plenty respect for Yogi, the same as the likes of Nish and McBride in spite of their on-field spats with the manager. I'm sure Hughes is big enough to take it.

jabis
28-11-2009, 10:30 PM
In this thread I have had a difference of opinion with Nailrod, GC and Hibs Spain.

I have no issues with that or them, they argued their corners very well.

However when it comes to you I have no clue where you are coming from, I don't even know if you are argueing or agreeing with me.

Fair to say we are on different planets.

think Maka's a fine goalkeeper(as mentioned by my goodself earlier)

He's a great shot/lob stopper.

A great character

Fantastic entertainment.

you think the Hearts players never got paid,and Maka's guff !

Mmmmmmmm not in your clique then :cool2:

Ed De Gramo
28-11-2009, 10:32 PM

A great character

Fantastic entertainment.

WTF has that got to do with Maka?

scoopyboy
28-11-2009, 10:34 PM

A great character

Fantastic entertainment.

I have never said Hearts players didn't get paid.

I don't think Maka is a good goalie, nor do I think he will ever be one.

I have no clique.

jabis
28-11-2009, 10:39 PM
WTF has that got to do with Maka?

He mentioned "on a different planet",something I alluded to on a different thread ......so far so good ?............I mentioned something HE posted on a different thread.........:grr:,I sometimes dispair at my sense of humour :boo hoo:

jabis
28-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I have never said Hearts players didn't get paid.
my apologies,must have been someone else
I don't think Maka is a good goalie, nor do I think he will ever be one.
I think he is,but don't have your ability too see into the future
I have no clique.
I do,membership 1....wanna join :greengrin

one point we can agree on.....I'm drunk :agree:

BroxburnHibee
28-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Having watched the game on BBC Alba and spoken to people who were at the game I really don't see what all the fuss was about. The save from Moutinho was sensational, few keepers would have reached that.

Stack wouldn't have got to it.

Other than that he had little to do. His distribution looked excellent, and he sweeped up anything that came his way.

I do,membership 1....wanna join :greengrin

one point we can agree on.....I'm drunk :agree:

Stressful day? :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Stressful day? :cool2:

BH - Stack wouldn't have been so far off his line in the 1st place. :cool2:

BroxburnHibee
28-11-2009, 10:59 PM
BH - Stack wouldn't have been so far off his line in the 1st place. :cool2:

In your opinion :wink:

Gatecrasher
28-11-2009, 11:11 PM
You think a keeper who can't deal with crosses is steady and safe because he stands on his line? Because that's all Stack does. I'm sorry to say but when his luck runs out we're going to get a doing! And before you start,he's no better than average when it comes to all the other stuff any other keeper can do..

What a load of pish!!

Stck has been the number one keeper for most if not all of our good run, he's played well.

Like someone said before it's no surprised we haven't heard of you all this time stack has been playing well just waiting for him to make a mistake so you can jizz all over it

fwiw I thought maka played well today apart from the time when he nearly got caught sleeping, he has came on a lot since Hughes arrival :agree:

joebakerforever
28-11-2009, 11:12 PM
My view of the Maka "incidents" today were that his fellow defenders contributed to the tight situations he found himself in.

Also thought Yogi's histrionics towards Maka influenced the reactions of a lot of Hibs supporters.

I was not impressed that Hughes continued to rant for so long and it degenerated into a highly public slanging between the pair. The place to "discuss" the matter was in the dressing room, not in the open air theatre of the pitch :bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 11:16 PM
My view of the Maka "incidents" today were that his fellow defenders contributed to the tight situations he found himself in.

That brings back memories - that's who we always used to blame!

Then Stack went in and we stopped.

jakedance
28-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Makas a good keeper, he showed that today with a great save. The criticism he's had has been completely over the top. Just as over the top as Hibs Spain's blind and unconditional love for the man.

I'd take Maka over McNeil, Brown or Zibi.

He should tuck his shirt in though.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2009, 11:27 PM

:agree: One of these days it'll affect his aero-dynamics.

Criswell
28-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Seriously doubt Makalamby will ever make it as a keeper. He is at his best when he has to do things instinctively - like shot stopping, when he has to think about what to to do he is all at sea.

For example, he seldom moves out decisively to meet the ball, prefers to stand there rooted to the spot and let the ball come to him. This has got him into trouble several times and we saw another example today.

I was willing to give him a chance, but just don't see much improvement being made.

Iain G
28-11-2009, 11:52 PM
OK.

Number one.

Defend that.

Oh FFS, come off it Scoopyboy, Maka seems to be top of you hit list and you seem blinkered to anything positive about him, he kept a clean sheet today, end of story really, don't care how he keeps the opposition out as long as he does.

Dunno why you have a problem with him and why you can't get behind one of our own players and support them, I mean did he run over your cat or something :confused:

Get over it, you are getting boing now...

J-C
29-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Now I like Soopyboy.............and I like Hibs Spain..........but who's correct regarding Maka..............only one way to find out............FIGHT!!!

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Have now seen the HI highlights and I stand by my original post. Maka's save from the Moutinho chip was top drawer. There was nothing wrong with his positioning. It was a perfectly executed chip and a shorter goalie probably wouldn't have reached it. I actually had a better view of the Bullen incident than the HI camera angle, and Maka took it round Bullen without him getting close to it.

Cameron1875
29-11-2009, 01:47 AM
I believed in makalamby and thought he had potential until today. If we are to progress and become a good side we cant have guff like that in goal. His trick was ridiculous in such an important game but more importantly our defence was so nervous in the 2nd half. there was a time when makalamby could have came out but hogg didn't trust him and cleared it to near the corner flag. Hibs are a poorer side when maka plays and i think the defence feel much more comfortable with stack in goal.

Hibs90
29-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Folk need to get off Maka's back. The guy will be a quality keeper in a few years.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Makas a good keeper, he showed that today with a great save. The criticism he's had has been completely over the top. Just as over the top as Hibs Spain's blind and unconditional love for the man.

I'd take Maka over McNeil, Brown or Zibi.

I would have taken a scarecrow over Zibi.

For all the folk talking up Maka: if Hibs do release him at the end of the season, who will sign him?

The fact of the matter is that he will cost Hibs cheap goals. He's only played 2.5 games this year and he already managed it in that time (against St. Mirren). There's been none of that nonsense with Stack, because he's a proper keeper. Maka is a big athletic guy who could be a keeper but simply doesn't have the intelligence or powers of concentration to avoid making critical errors.

TheBall'sRound
29-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a lot of sympathy for Maka but when all is said and done he has used up all his lives at Easter Road.

Whether he plays well or not, when he came out for the second half the Falkirk fans and players got a lift and our fans and players (mostly) looked jittery and worried.

We can all recount good and bad things Maka has done but when your presence can change the mood in an entire stadium - negatively for your own team - your time is probably up.

It was a cracking save; I didn't mind the wee trick and we haven't lost a game this season when Maka has played... But I will feel more confident next week if Stack is in goal.

PeeJay
29-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I think we've given Makka more than enough opportunities to prove himself - I personally feel much less confident when he's in goal. THe save he made yesterday pushing it on to the bar was - IMHO - because he was too far off his line and hadn't read the situation, his quick reflexes, and long reach helped him save the day, otherwise he would have been lobbed - that's how I read it anyway.

His dribbling in the box was risky - and "entertaining" because it "worked" but it could have cost us.

As the goalkeeper ANY mistakes he made will costs us badly - that goes with the job. By contrast, Bamba - IMO - had a much more worrying game: he made so many positional mistakes, poorly timed headers (two of which went backwards instead of forwards!), and his distribution of the ball was often terrible! But he doesn't get the stick Makka does: he's rated as a great prospect - funny that!

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2009, 08:52 AM

Also thought Yogi's histrionics towards Maka influenced the reactions of a lot of Hibs supporters.

I was not impressed that Hughes continued to rant for so long and it degenerated into a highly public slanging between the pair. The place to "discuss" the matter was in the dressing room, not in the open air theatre of the pitch :bitchy:

:top marks:top marks

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 08:53 AM
I would have taken a scarecrow over Zibi.

For all the folk talking up Maka: if Hibs do release him at the end of the season, who will sign him?

The fact of the matter is that he will cost Hibs cheap goals. He's only played 2.5 games this year and he already managed it in that time (against St. Mirren). There's been none of that nonsense with Stack, because he's a proper keeper. Maka is a big athletic guy who could be a keeper but simply doesn't have the intelligence or powers of concentration to avoid making critical errors.This ""will cost us cheap goals" stuff is nonesense.Forget the Aberdeen thing and to a lesser extent the Nade goal and I can't think any howlers. I can think of plenty times he's come for balls and got them or punched,slapped or flapped them away from danger areas that could well have ended up goals if Stack had been in goals.Stack has been extremely lucky and trust me,his luck will run out.It will be a tragedy if we lose Maka,an absolute tragedy and he'll have no problem getting a club at a high level.He doesn't get a game for Belgium for being a poor keeper and Belgium,I would wager would beat Scotland nine or ten times out of ten,so get things into a little bit of perspective :agree:

down-the-slope
29-11-2009, 09:10 AM

:agree: I was there and it was not about what Maka did rather what the doubters expected him to do.

We had two difficult moments in the game - one which Spoony saved us by clearing a certain goal off the line - the other when Moutinho chipped and looked in all the way until Maka made an exceptional save to tip it onto the bar.

The last 15 mins were played with both Murray and Riorden visably limping and struggling with all subs used so we ended up losing shape and looking edgy.....but Hey its Hibs and so the has to be a Scapegoat, and luckily for those so minded Maka was onthe pitch to take the blame for team failings :bitchy:

Nobody would mention the total passenger (one cross for goal apart) that Zemamma was whole time he was on the pitch and costing us possession time and again...hes not allowed to have any failings :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Have now seen the HI highlights and I stand by my original post. Maka's save from the Moutinho chip was top drawer. There was nothing wrong with his positioning. It was a perfectly executed chip and a shorter goalie probably wouldn't have reached it. I actually had a better view of the Bullen incident than the HI camera angle, and Maka took it round Bullen without him getting close to it.

I thought that at 1st as well but I've just watched it again on Alba and I don't think he was that far off his line.

I have a lot of sympathy for Maka but when all is said and done he has used up all his lives at Easter Road.

Whether he plays well or not, when he came out for the second half the Falkirk fans and players got a lift and our fans and players (mostly) looked jittery and worried.

We can all recount good and bad things Maka has done but when your presence can change the mood in an entire stadium - negatively for your own team - your time is probably up.

It was a cracking save; I didn't mind the wee trick and we haven't lost a game this season when Maka has played... But I will feel more confident next week if Stack is in goal.

This ""will cost us cheap goals" stuff is nonesense.Forget the Aberdeen thing and to a lesser extent the Nade goal and I can't think any howlers. I can think of plenty times he's come for balls and got them or punched,slapped or flapped them away from danger areas that could well have ended up goals if Stack had been in goals.Stack has been extremely lucky and trust me,his luck will run out.It will be a tragedy if we lose Maka,an absolute tragedy and he'll have no problem getting a club at a high level.He doesn't get a game for Belgium for being a poor keeper and Belgium,I would wager would beat Scotland nine or ten times out of ten,so get things into a little bit of perspective :agree:

So if we take away the howlers he's never made any? That's interesting logic.

BTW how many Belgium caps does he have? And are you saying he's better than Craig Gordon?

down the slope
29-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I thought that when Maka came on his uncertainty spread throughout the team, in my opinion he will never make a keeper and that seemed to be the same opinion of the fans who sat beside me.
He has blotted his copy book to many time for me and it is no coincidence that we have a very healthy record of keeping a clean sheet as opposed to last year, after that goal he gave away against Aberdeen in the last day of the season he should never have been allowed to pull on a Hibs jersey again.

down-the-slope
29-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I think we've given Makka more than enough opportunities to prove himself - I personally feel much less confident when he's in goal. THe save he made yesterday pushing it on to the bar was - IMHO - because he was too far off his line and hadn't read the situation, his quick reflexes, and long reach helped him save the day, otherwise he would have been lobbed - that's how I read it anyway.

His dribbling in the box was risky - and "entertaining" because it "worked" but it could have cost us.

As the goalkeeper ANY mistakes he made will costs us badly - that goes with the job. By contrast, Bamba - IMO - had a much more worrying game: he made so many positional mistakes, poorly timed headers (two of which went backwards instead of forwards!), and his distribution of the ball was often terrible! But he doesn't get the stick Makka does: he's rated as a great prospect - funny that!

And thats the crux. - not about facts only feelings.

Your summary of his save makes me laugh. Had he not come out to close space and striker had kept coming and shot under him...you would be on here slagging him for being static and not coming out.

It was a save that not many would make..and certainly not Stack with a jiggered back...

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 09:16 AM
This ""will cost us cheap goals" stuff is nonesense.Forget the Aberdeen thing and to a lesser extent the Nade goal and I can't think any howlers. I can think of plenty times he's come for balls and got them or punched,slapped or flapped them away from danger areas that could well have ended up goals if Stack had been in goals.Stack has been extremely lucky and trust me,his luck will run out.It will be a tragedy if we lose Maka,an absolute tragedy and he'll have no problem getting a club at a high level.He doesn't get a game for Belgium for being a poor keeper and Belgium,I would wager would beat Scotland nine or ten times out of ten,so get things into a little bit of perspective :agree:

He doesn't have any caps for Belgium, he's just been called into their squad a couple of times as third choice goalie when they have had an injury or two. He wasn't even first choice for the age group Olympics team last year.

Name another Belgian keeper.

:cool2:

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 09:17 AM
if we lose Maka,an absolute tragedy and he'll have no problem getting a club at a high level.He doesn't get a game for Belgium for being a poor keeper and Belgium,I would wager would beat Scotland nine or ten times out of ten,so get things into a little bit of perspective :agree:
How many times has he actually played for Belgium? :confused:

His Wikipedia entry shows that he has just one cap at under-23 level and one substitute appearance for Belgium during the last Olympics.

scoopyboy
29-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh FFS, come off it Scoopyboy, Maka seems to be top of you hit list and you seem blinkered to anything positive about him, he kept a clean sheet today, end of story really, don't care how he keeps the opposition out as long as he does.

Dunno why you have a problem with him and why you can't get behind one of our own players and support them, I mean did he run over your cat or something :confused:

Get over it, you are getting boing now...

For the record I don't hate Maka, I simply don't think he is as good a goalkeeper as many on here make out.

I think he is better than Brown, McNeil and Zibi but not good enough for Hibs.

I don't think Hibs will offer him a new deal.

I don't think he will go on to great things thereafter.

I never get on any Hibs player's back at any game, never will.

I don't have a cat and never will.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I've defended Maka in the past, but I can't anymore.

As soon as he came on, we lost a weapon in our defensive armoury because the players don't trust hinm enough to pass back to him.

I agree he made a very good save which Stack may not have reached.

He should not have tried to dribble the ball aroiund Bullen and why did he wait for that through ball to come to him?

Yes, he does some very good things, but when he's in the side, confidence at the back evaporates.

He's a good keeper when he doesn't have to make decisions. Given time to think, anything can happen.

Jack
29-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Just 2 things
1. Them nil again. Well done both keeprs.
2. Makka was one of the few players who actually beat their man yesterday.

ArabHibee
29-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Folk need to get off Maka's back. The guy will be a quality keeper in a few years.

So do we keep him as second choice until then?

PeeJay
29-11-2009, 09:58 AM
And thats the crux. - not about facts only feelings.

Your summary of his save makes me laugh. Had he not come out to close space and striker had kept coming and shot under him...you would be on here slagging him for being static and not coming out.

It was a save that not many would make..and certainly not Stack with a jiggered back...

What a load of ****ing crap :grr:--- Jesus, some people, I ask you?. What's your problem: I said that's how I read it and I stick by it. Makka has made several complete and stupid ****-ups throughout the course of has career at Hibs and while Stack may have a bad back, he has played well for the team this season (had several great saves and kept us in the game) and we haven't lost points through DUMB goalkeeping errors. That mate is a fact not a personal feeling so stuff your stupid crux comments and get real. I'm not making things up abut Makka - get onto HI and you can pick and choose the MAKKA highlights for yourself.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:10 AM

And so we should constantly refer to previous "let's hate Maka" incidents and make much of them whenever he does something that doesn't cost the team anything but "might just have" and forget about the fingertip save at full stretch (quite a way for a guy who is 6'7" in his stocking soles) that kept us in the match at 1 nil up when he must still have been warming up on a very cold day indeed! :confused:

I just don't get the bile that I hear round about me from some people about this young lad who is pretty good at what he does even if he is a bit "laid back" in doing it! :wink:

Any thoughts on why Stack never comes for crosses anyone? :cool2:

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 10:15 AM
So do we keep him as second choice until then?
I think its possible that Maka could be a candidate for moving on in the January window.

> his contract is up at the end of this season;
> it seems unlikely that Yogi will want to renew it (no signals to the contrary thus far);
> we paid a modest fee for him (£ a few hundred thousand);
> January would be the last opportunity for RP to recoup some or all of that fee.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Any thoughts on why Stack never comes for crosses anyone? :cool2:

I've seen him come for crosses.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:23 AM

For those of us who see the players warming up etc pre match, we are aware that Maka's balls skills are considerably better than most of his outfield teammates (I'm reluctant to name any of them although not difficult to think who they might be based even on yesterday's game!) :agree:

I wasn't concerned that Maka would beat Bullen in "that" incident but sadly the lad has become a "liability" to the team in the minds of many of our "fans" and as such will find it very hard to convince them otherwise as none of them appear willing to give him a chance! :cool2:

A great shame and pity help the next guy we get if he does, as i sadly believe he will, when his contract ends. :confused:

Oh aye, and for the record, could someone tell me why Stack, who also has weaknesses as a keeper but is "hard", has played so few first team games (other than at Hibs) in what is a fairly lengthy career to date? :wink:

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I've seen him come for crosses.

When then? :confused:

You must be able to remember if you were at the game(s) as, if he does do it, then he does it on extremely rare occasions! :agree:

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 10:28 AM
He doesn't have any caps for Belgium, he's just been called into their squad a couple of times as third choice goalie when they have had an injury or two. He wasn't even first choice for the age group Olympics team last year.

Name another Belgian keeper.

:cool2:Pretty sure he came on as a sub in the Olympics.

Expecting Rain
29-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Maka has learned nothing from his previous mistakes,it was a ridiculous risk to take at 1-0 up and could have cost us dearly, i`d like to see him move on.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:31 AM
When then? :confused:

You must be able to remember if you were at the game(s) as, if he does do it, then he does it on extremely rare occasions! :agree:

I have been at the games when he's done it and I've also seen him do it in games on the telly. It may be because you're so blinkered against the guy that you're blanking them out? I can't believe so many "fans" (as you put it) don't support our number 1 keeper.

BTW - I don't remember Maka coming for any crosses yesterday. :wink:

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 10:32 AM
He doesn't get a game for Belgium for being a poor keeper and Belgium,I would wager would beat Scotland nine or ten times out of ten,so get things into a little bit of perspective :agree:

How many times has he actually played for Belgium? :confused:

His Wikipedia entry shows that he has just one cap at under-23 level and one substitute appearance for Belgium during the last Olympics.

Pretty sure he came on as a sub in the Olympics.
Yes.

And.......? :greengrin

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:32 AM
:agree: One of these days it'll affect his aero-dynamics.

Not sure if this is an attempt at humour (no green grin smilies) or simply the view of a top level sportsman with real experience of the matter being commented upon! :wink: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:33 AM

:agree: For the Belgian under-23 side.

Can you confirm that he's a subby for his age-group team and currently has no caps for his national side that FIFA current rank 18 places lower than Scotland?

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 10:34 AM
What a load of ****ing crap :grr:--- Jesus, some people, I ask you?. What's your problem: I said that's how I read it and I stick by it. Makka has made several complete and stupid ****-ups throughout the course of has career at Hibs and while Stack may have a bad back, he has played well for the team this season (had several great saves and kept us in the game) and we haven't lost points through DUMB goalkeeping errors. That mate is a fact not a personal feeling so stuff your stupid crux comments and get real. I'm not making things up abut Makka - get onto HI and you can pick and choose the MAKKA highlights for yourself.What,in your opinion was the fundamental problem that led to (think it was wotherspoon) having to clear off the line? And how many times did the ball fizz back and forwards past the great Stack at the Falkirk "goal"?

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Not sure if this is an attempt at humour (no green grin smilies) or simply the view of a top level sportsman with real experience of the matter being commented upon! :wink: :greengrin

I've only played in goals at 5 a-sides. I do wonder why goalies tend to punt the ball from hand rather than drop-kick it though. Any ideas? :greengrin

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I have been at the games when he's done it and I've also seen him do it in games on the telly. It may be because you're so blinkered against the guy that you're blanking them out? I can't believe so many "fans" (as you put it) don't support our number 1 keeper.

BTW - I don't remember Maka coming for any crosses yesterday. :wink:There weren't any to come for. Falkirk knew the crosses would be fruitless :greengrin

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I've only played in goals at 5 a-sides. I do wonder why goalies tend to punt the ball from hand rather than drop-kick it though. Any ideas? :greengrinIt's easier to sclaff the ball when drop kicking.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Problem you have is that you can't see what's staring you in the face due to YOUR entrenched views on the situation.! :confused:

I believe that Stack has done reasonably well in most of the games he has played in usually cause he has had little to do requiring anything special from him and in the other games he has ridden his luck, I thinking here the Celtc game at the start of the season when we would have been hammered had the Celtc forwards connected with any of the good dangerous crosses flying into our box in the first half! :agree:

However, Maka is a far better keeper than all the "knee-jerkers" on here, many of whom rarely set foot in ER when the team is actually playing as far as I can ascertain from posts and timing of posts during matches etc! :cool2:

There is a need for balance about "debates" and in this one there has become little hence my deciding to get involved today having stayed out of it for weeks now! :wink: :grr:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Does he have as many caps as Stack?

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I've only played in goals at 5 a-sides. I do wonder why goalies tend to punt the ball from hand rather than drop-kick it though. Any ideas? :greengrin

I've come to the conclusion that continuing this topic would be a complete waste of our valuable (for me anyway!) leisure time and, as I said the last time you raised it, will say no more on it as, for you, the only answer you will accept is your answer! :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Problem you have is that you can't see what's staring you in the face due to YOUR entrenched views on the situation.! :confused:

I believe that Stack has done reasonably well in most of the games he has played in usually cause he has had little to do requiring anything special from him and in the other games he has ridden his luck, I thinking here the Celtc game at the start of the season when we would have been hammered hadthe Celtc forwards connected with any of the good dangerous crosses flying into our box in the first half! :agree:

However, Maka is a far better keeper than all the "knee-jerkers" on here, many of whom rarely set foot in ER when the team is actually playing as far as I can ascertain from psts and timing of posts during matches etc! :cool2:

There is a need for balance about "debates" and in this one there has become little hence my deciding to get involved today haveing stayed out of it for weeks now! :wink: :grr:

I thought he was decent yesterday - made a cracking save and got away with all the other stuff. I've been staying away from it but I still see the fan club are back out in force so I thought I'd join in.

Does he have as many caps as Stack?

No, not in age group football. 7 for Stack at u21 vs 1 for Maka at u23.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I've come to the conclusion that continuing this topic would be a complete waste of our valuable (for me anyway!) leisure time and, as I said the last time you raised it, will say no more on it as, for you, the only answer you will accept is your answer! :confused:

I agree - and anyway Hibs Spain agrees with me....

It's easier to sclaff the ball when drop kicking.

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 10:50 AM
:agree: For the Belgian under-23 side.

Can you confirm that he's a subby for his age-group team and currently has no caps for his national side that FIFA current rank 18 places lower than Scotland?According to wikipedia it was a full international cap.Do you think Scotland would beat Belgium?

TornadoHibby

So who were we playing when these rare incidents occurred then? :confused:

Maka didn't have to come for any crosses yesterday as there were none of sufficient quality from Falkirk to warrant him doing so. :agree:

However, in case the radio commentator missed it for you or you haven't seen the highlights yet, he did pulloff a fantastic save onto his crossbar of a goal attempt from the West stand side of his goal which would have beaten most keepers, including Stack IMO! :wink:

Woody70x2

World class save :thumbsup:

Well done Maka :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:54 AM
According to wikipedia it was a full international cap.Do you think Scotland would beat Belgium?

The wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Makabu-Makalambay)I was looking at says it was an u23 cap. And I think Scotland would beat Belgium. They finished 4th in their WC qualifying group - they're no world beaters FFS!

So who were we playing when these rare incidents occurred then? :confused:

Maka didn't have to come for any crosses yesterday as there were none of sufficient quality from Falkirk to warrant him doing so. :agree:

However, in case the radio commentator missed it for you or you haven't seen the highlights yet, he did pulloff a fantastic save onto his crossbar of a goal attempt from the West stand side of his goal which would have beaten most keepers, including Stack IMO! :wink:

For a start he had one or 2 in the derby - I don't see why I have to list things that are a matter of record just 'cos you've blanked them out!

I was at the match yesterday - in fact the save he made was right in front of me.

Very good save, although I do wonder if another keeper might've made the save look more comfortable.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree - and anyway Hibs Spain agrees with me....

Did Hibs SPain ever play rugby and was he a fly half of decent experience and quality in the relative sense of course in relation to your own very considerable top flight egg chasing career! :wink:

Did you play fly half or were you a front row forward who only ever saw the ball when it was on the ground under your feet? :cool2: :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Which proves my point, he wasn't first choice. The first choice Belgian keeper was Logan Bailly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Bailly) (now at Moenchengladbach).

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 10:56 AM
The wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Makabu-Makalambay)I was looking at says it was an u23 cap

For a start he had one or 2 in the derby - I don't see why I have to list things that are a matter of record just 'cos you've blanked them out!

I was at the match yesterday - in fact the save he made was right in front of me.

Very good save, although I do wonder if another keeper might've made the save look more comfortable.

:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

Did you have such a keeper in mind who is signed at Hibs perchance? :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Did Hibs SPain ever play rugby and was he a fly half of decent experience and quality in the relative sense of course in relation to your own very considerable top flight egg chasing career! :wink:

Did you play fly half or were you a front row forward who only ever saw the ball when it was on the ground under your feet? :cool2: :greengrin

No idea about Hibs Spain but I played fly-half once or twice in my illustrious career. Although you do know that it's not only fly-halfs that are allowed to kick the ball?

Golden Bear
29-11-2009, 10:58 AM
The reaction of the Falkirk fans to Maka's introduction at half time summed it up for me. I'll say no more.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 10:58 AM
According to wikipedia it was a full international cap.Do you think Scotland would beat Belgium?

Olympics is u23 + 3 overage players allowed.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 10:59 AM
No idea about Hibs Spain but I played fly-half once or twice in my illustrious career. Although you do know that it's not only fly-halfs that are allowed to kick the ball?

The way rugby union is going right now, maybe that is a rule that should be brought in.

blackpoolhibs

Only if Maka is certain to start.

Danderhall Hibs
The way rugby union is going right now, maybe that is a rule that should be brought in.

:agree: :top marks

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 11:00 AM

I'll take that you were a front row forward then and that would explain your comments satisfactorily! :agree:

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 11:02 AM
The wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Makabu-Makalambay)I was looking at says it was an u23 cap. And I think Scotland would beat Belgium. They finished 4th in their WC qualifying group - they're no world beaters FFS!

Very good save, although I do wonder if another keeper might've made the save look more comfortable.Hahahaha - You're getting funnier. "more comfortable" Very droll hehe..Most other keepers wouldn't have got to that even if they had one of those rockets strapped to their backs :cool2:

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Which proves my point, he wasn't first choice. The first choice Belgian keeper was Logan Bailly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Bailly) (now at Moenchengladbach).Don't want to seem pedantic but a cap's a cap And I'm sure he'll get more. Wonder what position his younger brother plays in Anderlecht's set up?? Now there's a thought.. Can you imagine him playing in front of Maka as a centre half for us?? :thumbsup:

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 11:20 AM
The reaction of the Falkirk fans to Maka's introduction at half time summed it up for me. I'll say no more.
Ah. A Hibby who decides whether our players are any good based on what the Falkirk supporters think.

Have you thought of slitting open a chicken and examining its innards?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Ah. A Hibby who decides whether our players are any good based on what the Falkirk supporters think.

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: :top marks:top marks I swear a little bit of wee came out after reading that.:faf::faf:

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Falkirk fans know **** all about football.

exhibit a: Kevin McBride

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 11:25 AM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: :top marks:top marks I swear a little bit of wee came out after reading that.:faf::faf:

I don't get it. :boo hoo:

Golden Bear
29-11-2009, 11:26 AM

It was more a case of an independent viewpoint on Maka's abilities since the Hibs support seem to be split on this issue.

But there again I don't suppose I've considered that Maka is young, is an entertainer and one day will be worth countless millions.

down the slope
29-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Name another keeper in the SPL who behaves the way he does and has made as many mistakes as he has ?, i have nothing against the big man but i bet when he leaves Hibs he will end up in the Belgian second div or it's like.

Toaods
29-11-2009, 12:18 PM

I also recall them mocking Riordan.....:wink:

(((Fergus)))
29-11-2009, 12:27 PM
It was more a case of an independent viewpoint on Maka's abilities since the Hibs support seem to be split on this issue.

But there again I don't suppose I've considered that Maka is young, is an entertainer and one day will be worth countless millions.

Opposition fans will try any angle to unsettle players and gain an advantage. They didn't succeed. In fact, Maka had the sang froid to play football in his own box and ensure possession was retained. It was also one of the more entertaining (or terrifying, depending on your disposition) moments in the match.

greenlex
29-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Its a skewed independent view though. They dont see him when he plays but they listen to the media who are over egging his poor traits IMO. Much like some Hibs fans sadly.

Toaods
29-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Opposition fans will try any angle to unsettle players and gain an advantage. They didn't succeed. In fact, Maka had the sang froid to play football in his own box and ensure possession was retained. It was also one of the more entertaining (or terrifying, depending on your disposition) moments in the match.

:agree:.

...if Andy Goram had been in goals and done the same thing there would be a 10 page orgasmic thread.

I was more concerned when he casually threw an underarm ball out that just got by an outstretched boot (Bullen?)

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Reina just did something similar to Maka's turn yesterday, and there is no panic shown by either the fans or the commentators.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone watching the Scouse derby? :worms:

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 12:37 PM
It was more a case of an independent viewpoint on Maka's abilities...
I hate to have to break this to you but the Falkirk supporters at a Hibs-Falkirk game at ER aren't actually a dispassionate group of disinterested spectators passing a reasoned and 'independent' judgement on the quality of our players.

The Falkirk supporters have a go at Maka to try to affect his confidence precisely because they constantly hear about how rubbish he is in the media, and two-bit stringers like Paul Forsyth in the SoS can get away with slating him for a performance where he never put a foot wrong because 'we' (ie the media big-heads) all know he's rubbish - "And look! Everybody agrees with us!"

It's called a self-perpetuating myth.

basehibby
29-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Maka kept a clean sheet yesterday, including a good save onto the crossbar at 1-0. He may have given us a fright when he turned Bullen but ultimately he called it right and retained posession - so what is there to complain about???
Answer - the square root of F-All.

I'm not surprised if a few radio "experts" saw the need to take a few cheap shots - many of them struggle for anything remotely interesting to say so they're hardly going to miss a chance to drag up the old "dodgy Hibs keepers" chestnut. But why so called supporters feel the need to have a pop after Maka's contributed to a welcome 3 points is beyond me :confused:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Maka kept a clean sheet yesterday, including a good save onto the crossbar at 1-0. He may have given us a fright when he turned Bullen but ultimately he called it right and retained posession - so what is there to complain about???
Answer - the square root of F-All.

I'm not surprised if a few radio "experts" saw the need to take a few cheap shots - many of them struggle for anything remotely interesting to say so they're hardly going to miss a chance to drag up the old "dodgy Hibs keepers" chestnut. But why so called fans feel the need to have a pop after Maka's contributed to a welcome 3 points is beyond me :confused:

I agree with all that, although he really does need to give himself a shake at times. He is supposedly very laid back, and he seems to bring that onto the pitch. Some will see it as a calming influence, others will see it differently. IMHO it was the reason he was slow off his line to the through ball to Bullen. Its something he clearly needs to address, if he wants a bigger future in the
game.

--------
29-11-2009, 12:52 PM

:agree: What's also apparent about all this is that someone attacks/praises Maka/Stack to the advantage/disadvantage of Stack/Maka.

Other join in, and we end up with a thread pages long in which BOTH our goalkeepers and a fair number of outfield defenders get slagged off good and proper by their OWN (alleged) supporters.

For the record, I consider that each of our two keepers is in his own way an asset to the club. Each in his own way possesses strengths, weaknesses and wee idiosynchrasies - and each in his won way lends skill and entertainment value to the experience of visiting Easter Road on match day.

We WON an important game yesterday. GS played the first half and kept a clean sheet. Maka played the second half, and kept a clean sheet. This should be a matter for general satisfaction, even rejoicing, since we're lying third in the League (equal second on points) and only 2 points behind the leaders. Instead half the team's been under the cosh since the OP of this thread was posted.

Not long after he arrived at ER, Turnbull signed Jim Herriot from Birmingham City. Jim was a former Scotland international keeper. He was also somewhat original in his approach to the game. He had a peculiar warm-up rouitine - we hadn't seen the like of it before. (Nowadays it would be considered normal.) He blacked his cheekbones a la NFL style to minimise glare from the lights. (Nowadays no one would bat an eyelid.) He was frequently found way off his line - he was one of the first 'keeper-sweepers' and he was a very good one IMO. (There are a lot of them in the game these days.)

Turnbull, however, fell out of love with JH. Decided JH was a 'bombscare'. (Sound familiar?) So he punted JH, and signed up a sound dependable non-bombscare custodian of the old school - Jim McArthur.

I know who I preferred to watch at ER, and it wasn't the grey ghost from Cowdenbeath. JH may have been a bampot, but he was highly entertaining and a cracking good keeper - in his own inimitable way.

Maka will move on when his contract's over. I don't blame him - why should he stay when so many don't want him? He'll get a club on the Continent, probably, and he'll do well. And it'll be our loss.

We'd better just hope that no one's made Graham a better offer around the same time, or we'll be back looking for a 'Hibs-class' keeper or two, and there aren't too many of those around still playing. Not class enough for the conoisseurs of the Net, anyway.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2009, 01:00 PM
:agree: What's also apparent about all this is that someone attacks/praises Maka/Stack to the advantage/disadvantage of Stack/Maka.

Other join in, and we end up with a thread pages long in which BOTH our goalkeepers and a fair number of outfield defenders get slagged off good and proper by their OWN (alleged) supporters.

For the record, I consider that each of our two keepers is in his own way an asset to the club. Each in his own way possesses strengths, weaknesses and wee idiosynchrasies - and each in his won way lends skill and entertainment value to the experience of visiting Easter Road on match day.

We WON an important game yesterday. GS played the first half and kept a clean sheet. Maka played the second half, and kept a clean sheet. This should be a matter for general satisfaction, even rejoicing, since we're lying third in the League (equal second on points) and only 2 points behind the leaders. Instead half the team's been under the cosh since the OP of this thread was posted.

Not long after he arrived at ER, Turnbull signed Jim Herriot from Birmingham City. Jim was a former Scotland international keeper. He was also somewhat original in his approach to the game. He had a peculiar warm-up rouitine - we hadn't seen the like of it before. (Nowadays it would be considered normal.) He blacked his cheekbones a la NFL style to minimise glare from the lights. (Nowadays no one would bat an eyelid.) He was frequently found way off his line - he was one of the first 'keeper-sweepers' and he was a very good one IMO. (There are a lot of them in the game these days.)

Turnbull, however, fell out of love with JH. Decided JH was a 'bombscare'. (Sound familiar?) So he punted JH, and signed up a sound dependable non-bombscare custodian of the old school - Jim McArthur.

I know who I preferred to watch at ER, and it wasn't the grey ghost from Cowdenbeath. JH may have been a bampot, but he was highly entertaining and a cracking good keeper - in his own inimitable way.

Maka will move on when his contract's over. I don't blame him - why should he stay when so many don't want him? He'll get a club on the Continent, probably, and he'll do well. And it'll be our loss.

We'd better just hope that no one's made Graham a better offer around the same time, or we'll be back looking for a 'Hibs-class' keeper or two, and there aren't too many of those around still playing. Not class enough for the conoisseurs of the Net, anyway.

I think Maka has his flaws as a keeper, but I genuinely worry about the levels of criticism he receives on this board. It often seems just a little too unremiting and vitriolic to me. I think there is definitely a subconscious racism coming into play here. Goalies are usually eccentrics and off-the-wall personalities, but there seems an element of Budgie/Stack = character, Maka = clown supposition bubbling under the surface, which I must say I find pretty distasteful. A Hibs goalie who kept a clean sheet and made a couple of decent saves shouldn't be the subject of a four-page debate.

basehibby
29-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree with all that, although he really does need to give himself a shake at times. He is supposedly very laid back, and he seems to bring that onto the pitch. Some will see it as a calming influence, others will see it differently. IMHO it was the reason he was slow off his line to the through ball to Bullen. Its something he clearly needs to address, if he wants a bigger future in the
game.

He's certainly a bit unorthodox in his style - but that can work for keepers as long as the good outweighs the bad significantly. That was the case yesterday IMO so no cause for complaint.
Laid back/unorthodox isn't necessarily a problem as long as he remains alert and focused for the 90 mins - that's what he needs to work on IMO although yesterday it wasn't a problem.

millarco
29-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Name another keeper in the SPL who behaves the way he does and has made as many mistakes as he has ?, i have nothing against the big man but i bet when he leaves Hibs he will end up in the Belgian second div or it's like.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'behaves the way he does' but there are plenty of keepers in the SPL who've made the same number of mistakes as Maka. Ruddy from Motherwell has had some howlers this season, yet yesterday he was being touted in the papers as being the best in the league. Langfield has made plenty of mistakes, and we've all enjoyed Boruc's errors. Don't rate the likes of Main, Combe or Olejnik either. It's difficult to judge though, when you only see the highlights.

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 01:14 PM
:agree: What's also apparent about all this is that someone attacks/praises Maka/Stack to the advantage/disadvantage of Stack/Maka...<snip>

Excellent post Doddie. I couldn't agree more. My OP was intended to be in support of Maka, not in support of Maka at the expense of Stack.

I'm not unhappy about Stack being first choice, as I do believe his experience lends a greater degree of confidence to the defence. His worst fault - a reluctance to come off his line to deal with crosses - is one that he shares with the vast majority of keepers nowadays.

But I would be very sorry if we lost Maka. I think he has huge potential, and his extra inches will make him a very formidable stopper if he lives up to that potential. I don't think he has any weaknesses as a goalkeeper - the flaws in his game are all around attitude and application, and through good coaching these can be cured far more easily than shortcomings in technique.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I think Maka has his flaws as a keeper, but I genuinely worry about the levels of criticism he receives on this board. It often seems just a little too unremiting and vitriolic to me. I think there is definitely a subconscious racism coming into play here. Goalies are usually eccentrics and off-the-wall personalities, but there seems an element of Budgie/Stack = character, Maka = clown supposition bubbling under the surface, which I must say I find pretty distasteful. A Hibs goalie who kept a clean sheet and made a couple of decent saves shouldn't be the subject of a four-page debate.

Any idea/theories on why Bamba doesn't get any "racist" abuse DBS?

villager
29-11-2009, 01:22 PM
last game of last season, maka unexplicably scores against us off millers back.

first game of this season maka dashes around his box like a pinball for the saints goal.

in his next appearance his decision making has fans at each others throats.

his past history with us has more than a couple of costly errors. the one that i'll never forgive was the long clearance that bounced between him and jones and over his head leading to a goal. now, despite jones not being the best communicator and having a decision making history right up there with maka's a 6'3 keeper should never, never ever have a ball bounce over his upstretched arms for a goal.

we've been crying out for a steady keeper since mowbray arrived and now we've got one, we're third, difficult to beat and defensive mistakes are very rare. yet makalamby is greeted on his return to the first team with adulation from singing fans. :rolleyes:

makas strengths are unbalanced being all physique based, his mental goalkeeping attributes may well catch up with his other strengths in time becoming a good possibly great keeper.

i pray that the however many years it takes for this to happen arent on my saturdays.

release in the summer please yogi.

GlesgaeHibby
29-11-2009, 01:24 PM

:faf::top marks Very good.

Add in the Aguiar freekick where he set up his wall and stood behind it, 2 versus Aberdeen at ER where Brewster took the piss out of us, the cross come shot at love street from the touchline, the comedy goal between him and Rob Jones vs St Mirren at home.

I don't think anybody on this board would doubt Maka's shot stopping ability. He is a top notch shot stopper.

However, his biggest weakness is his communication with his defence and his concentration. He is far too casual at times (Nade goal is a perfect example of that) and he instills no confidence in the rest of the team.

Yes Stack doesn't come for most cross balls, but he does the basics and stays focussed for 90mins, and that has been a major part in our defence playing pretty well this season.

When Maka is out of contract in the summer I doubt we'll see a long list of clubs looking to sign him, because for every 6 or 7 great games he has he'll make a stupid mistake in a game.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 01:29 PM
The point for me is that Maka has been shaky in the past and he needs to eradicate these stupid mistakes from his game.

Yes he beat Bullen, but have a look at the highlights again. He got tangled up and nearly put the ball between his own legs.

Why didn't he just clear the ball upfield instead of taking that risk? Yogi is working hard at making us hard to beat. Decisions like that could put all that work asunder. (Good word for a Sunday, eh?)

He should have come for a through ball instead of waiting for it to come for him, and he just got away with it. That said, he conceded an unnecessary corner, iirc.

Then, as Toaods points out, he threw the ball out underarm and just got away with that too.

All of these incidents were entirely unnecessary and of his own making. Instead of congratulating him on a fine save and a decent overall contribution, his own judgement and decision making has ensured that people don't want him in the team.

I am much less confident with him in goals compared to Stack. And no amount of argument from Hibs Spain will change that.

Maka can change that though, by stopping this careless play.

If he rids his game of these close shaves, he could well realise his potential.

If he doesn't, he will definitely come a cropper and we will concede goals.

wee 162
29-11-2009, 01:31 PM

There's been far more criticism of Bamba than Hogg from yesterday. Which is pretty bizarre considering that most of the focus there is that Bamba made a few mistakes with his distribution, whilst Hogg barely found a Hibs player all day with his...

I think subconciously a few people tend to notice mistakes from our black players more than the others. I don't think that makes them racist. What I do think though is that we should be having a think about why certain players mistakes seem to stick in our minds more than others...

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 01:33 PM
:faf::top marks Very good.

Add in the Aguiar freekick where he set up his wall and stood behind it, 2 versus Aberdeen at ER where Brewster took the piss out of us, the cross come shot at love street from the touchline, the comedy goal between him and Rob Jones vs St Mirren at home.

That was the game where he didn't trap a Chris Hogg pass back properly then failed to cut out a cross after McCann had turned into the opposition forward.

I tried to put the blame on Hogg and/or McCann at the time, but in all these incidents, Maka is the common denominator.

sleeping giant
29-11-2009, 01:35 PM

I dont think its racism Bob. I think its more a case of we have had to suffer Brown/Zibbi costing us umpteen points a season.

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 01:35 PM
... makalamby is greeted on his return to the first team with adulation from singing fans. :rolleyes:

I apologise. I now realise I should have joined in with the Falkirk supporters who were mocking and jeering him as he ran out in the second half to take his place in the goal right in front of them. :dunno:

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I hate to have to break this to you but the Falkirk supporters at a Hibs-Falkirk game at ER aren't actually a dispassionate group of disinterested spectators passing a reasoned and 'independent' judgement on the quality of our players.

The Falkirk supporters have a go at Maka to try to affect his confidence precisely because they constantly hear about how rubbish he is in the media, and two-bit stringers like Paul Forsyth in the SoS can get away with slating him for a performance where he never put a foot wrong because 'we' (ie the media big-heads) all know he's rubbish - "And look! Everybody agrees with us!"

It's called a self-perpetuating myth.Well put :agree:

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Another point is that when Maka does daft things, it encourages the opposition to put more and more pressure on him.

If he just did the simple thing, like clearing the ball 60 yards upfield, the opposition striker will quickly get tired of chasing him down. Instead, he is hounded by the Falkirk players, and fans, everytime the ball goes near him.

The Hibs defenders see this, so they stop passing it back, which in turn, puts them under more pressure because one of their outlets has been removed.

wee 162
29-11-2009, 01:42 PM
The point for me is that Maka has been shaky in the past and he needs to eradicate these stupid mistakes from his game.

Yes he beat Bullen, but have a look at the higghlights again. He got tangled up and nearly put the ball between his own legs.

Why didn't he just clear the ball upfield instead of taking that risk? Yogi is working hard at making us hard to beat. Decisions like that could put all that work asunder. (Good word for a Sunday, eh?)

He should have come for a through ball instead of waiting for it to come for him, and he just got away with it. That said, he conceded an unnecessary corner, iirc.

Then, as Toaods points out, he threw the ball out underarm and just got away with that too.

All of these incidents were entirely unnecessary and of his own making. Instead of congratulating him on a fine save and a decent overall contribution, his own judgement and decision making has ensured that people don't want him in the team.

I am much less confident with him in goals compared to Stack. And no amount of argument from Hibs Spain will change that.

Maka can change that though, by stopping this careless play.

If he rids his game of these close shaves, he could well realise his potential.

If he doesn't, he will definitely come a cropper and we will concede goals.

Question is though will the support have the patience to see him realise that potential... That seems unlikely to put it mildly.

We can't afford to sign a top keeper. That should be a given, and unrealistic expectations about being able to do that will do no good. The only way we can get a top keeper is by developing one ourselves. I would hope most would realise that. If the fans do not have the patience to put up with any mistakes from our keepers than that will be impossible. Is Maka the keeper who could be made into that keeper? Maybe. He could well be a better keeper than Stack already imo.

Would people accept that if he didn't make any more mistakes, real or perceived, he is a better goalie than Stack?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Another point is that when Maka does daft things, it encourages the opposition to put more and more pressure on him.

If he just did the simple thing, like clearing the ball 60 yards upfield, the opposition striker will quickly get tired of chasing him down. Instead, he is hounded by the Falkirk players, and fans, everytime the ball goes near him.

The Hibs defenders see this, so they stop passing it back, which in turn, puts them under more pressure because one of their outlets has been removed.

:top marks:agree:

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Question is though will the support have the patience to see him realise that potential

If he cuts out the self inflicted mistakes, then yes.

I can accept mistakes from anyone, but when he keeps repeating them, or inventing new ridiculous ones, it's hard to keep the faith.

Would people accept that if he didn't make any more mistakes, real or perceived, he is a better goalie than Stack?

I don't know if he's a better goalie or not, tbh.

Stack has had 5 clean sheets, has only conceded 9 times in 13 games and doesn't make many mistakes.

If Maka stops the unforced errors, then maybe we'll be able to make that comparison.

At the moment, Stack is miles ahead.

villager
29-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I apologise. I now realise I should have joined in with the Falkirk supporters who were mocking and jeering him as he ran out in the second half to take his place in the goal right in front of them. :dunno:

encouraging a hibs player is the right thing, i think you and i both know that quite well. well done for giving him a lift, he'd probably need it after hughes admits that he's been low after losing his place.

every other spl fan likes the song too, how can you go wrong?:greengrin

wee 162
29-11-2009, 01:58 PM
If he cuts out the self inflicted mistakes, then yes.

I can accept mistakes from anyone, but when he keeps repeating them, or inventing new ridiculous ones, it's hard to keep the faith.

I don't know if he's a better goalie or not, tbh.

Stack has had 5 clean sheets, has only conceded 9 times in 13 games and doesn't make many mistakes.

If Maka stops the unforced errors, then maybe we'll be able to make that comparison.

At the moment, Stack is miles ahead.

No so sure about that. He hasn't made many mistakes which have cost us goals I'd accept, but there's been several times he's done things which haven't been punished. He fumbled the one decent strike Hearts had at goal in the recent derby and the rebound wasn't too far away from being a penalty. There's been more than a couple of times he's mi**** clearances straight to opposition players not too far out and we haven't been punished. The few times he does come off his line he doesn't get a lot of distance on the things he reaches.

Despite that, he's been fine. Keepers aren't going to be perfect. We need to accept that.

zlatan
29-11-2009, 01:59 PM

There opinion of him will be based on what they hear on the radio about him, which we learnt yesterday is massively over exaggerated to continue the Hibs having awful goalkeepers trend started by Zibi and Simon Brown.

I don't know how people can say such mean things about such a friendly chap :boo hoo:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 02:03 PM
the rebound wasn't too far away from being a penalty.

Only 'cos the boy dived! If he hadn't cheated it wouldn't have been close to being a penalty claim!

There opinion of him will be based on what they hear on the radio about him, which we learnt yesterday is massively over exaggerated to continue the Hibs having awful goalkeepers trend started by Zibi and Simon Brown.

I don't know how people can say such mean things about such a friendly chap :boo hoo:

Why do the radio guys not dish out the same treatment to Stack? Racism or some other reason?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I was in the west upper, right next to the dunbar end yesterday. To say the atmosphere changed when Maka came on, would be an under statement. You could feel the nervousness whenever the ball went near him, something that was not evident when Stack was on. I wonder why?

wee 162
29-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Only 'cos the boy dived! If he hadn't cheated it wouldn't have been close to being a penalty claim!

If he'd stayed on his feet there would have been contact and it would have been a penalty. That dive actually cost him a penalty.

millarco
29-11-2009, 02:07 PM

I would sooner see us keep the ball, than hit it up for what would be at best a 50-50, especially as we have nobody further up the pitch who can regularly win the ball and hold it up. They won't score if we have it.

The reaction to yesterday is rediculous, and indicative of the attitude towards Maka. As I've said before, we're now debating what might have happened and slating him for it, when in reality he didn't do anything wrong.

It's difficult to tell who's the better keeper, both have qualities and weaknesses. Stack hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped, though IMO neither had Maka at the start of the season. At the moment I'm glad we have two good goalkeepers competing against each other, and when Maka leaves I can only hope that we find someone to fill the void. He hasn't looked the same kind of character this season,hopefully wherever he goes he will be a success and enjoy his football.

hibsbollah
29-11-2009, 02:07 PM

Why do the radio guys not dish out the same treatment to Stack? Racism or some other reason?

Because that would involve engaging their brain before broadcasting. Its easier to stereotype Maka as 'big smiley african who is an accident waiting to happen' than to consider whether the stereotype is always justified.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I was in the west upper, right next to the dunbar end yesterday. To say the atmosphere changed when Maka came on, would be an under statement. You could feel the nervousness whenever the ball went near him, something that was not evident when Stack was on. I wonder why?

Three options here BH:

1 We're racist
2 'Cos the radio guys were giving him a hard time
3 'Cos we know he's an accident waiting to happen

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Because that would involve engaging their brain before broadcasting. Its easier to stereotype Maka as 'big smiley african who is an accident waiting to happen' than to consider whether the stereotype is always justified.

So it's nothing to do with this then...

For some reason the radio and media have stopped talking about the Hibs keeper problem since Stack's been in goals.

Are you sure it's down to their laziness?

zlatan
29-11-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Richard Gordon is the head of the Fintry KKK club tbf :agree:

When the day comes that Stack makes a mistake that costs us a goal (not that I'm saying that in an anti-Stack way, it's just something that happens to every keeper) then you shall no doubt hear the comments about Hibs goalkeeping woes continuing and all that piffle.

I'm in love with big Yves, I dream of taking both his and Sol Bambas sperm and making some sort of super baby for myself, but I agree Stack should be the number 1.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I would sooner see us keep the ball, than hit it up for what would be at best a 50-50, especially as we have nobody further up the pitch who can regularly win the ball and hold it up. They won't score if we have it.

The reaction to yesterday is rediculous, and indicative of the attitude towards Maka. As I've said before, we're now debating what might have happened and slating him for it, when in reality he didn't do anything wrong.

It's difficult to tell who's the better keeper, both have qualities and weaknesses. Stack hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped, though IMO neither had Maka at the start of the season. At the moment I'm glad we have two good goalkeepers competing against each other, and when Maka leaves I can only hope that we find someone to fill the void. He hasn't looked the same kind of character this season,hopefully wherever he goes he will be a success and enjoy his football.

I don't disagree with much of that, and you're right, the fans' reaction is indicative of the attitude to Maka.

But that attitude is of his own making.

I've defended Maka in the past and I sincerely want him to become a great keeper for us, but the first thing he needs to do is instill some confidence in his team mates, and the fans, by doing the simple things.

I don't want to see my centre half trying to beat an opposition forward when he's last man. It's foolhardy for a keeper to do it. Especially an accident prone one.

millarco
29-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Because many of our fans have preconceived opinions on him, which won't change regardless of his performance in the match. Think that was the point to the whole thread.

millarco
29-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't disagree with much of that, and you're right, the fans' reaction is indicative of the attitude to Maka.

But that attitude is of his own making.

I've defended Maka in the past and I sincerely want him to become a great keeper for us, but the first thing he needs to do is instill some confidence in his team mates, and the fans, by doing the simple things.

I don't want to see my centre half trying to beat an opposition forward when he's last man. It's foolhardy for a keeper to do it. Especially an accident prone one.

To be honest I think it's too late for that, some people will react the same way regardless of how he plays. He cleared similar balls like that, and Stack has performed similar feints without comment, yet it seems to make little difference. I think it's best for all concerned that he moves on at the end of the season, hopefully with the best wishes of all Hibs fans. And maybe a medal or two...

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Superbly put if I may say Bob! :agree:

Get off the guys back and let him show how good he is and not remind him of individual mistakes which are now committed to history! :cool2:

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Reina just did something similar to Maka's turn yesterday, and there is no panic shown by either the fans or the commentators.

Wonder why that was then?! :confused:

Maka has the footballing ability to do these kind of things and get himself out of trouble as he demonstrated so well yesterday although I believe he would he should take the safer "launch it" option if possible, it being probably not possible at the relevant time yesterday IIRC! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Because many of our fans have preconceived opinions on him, which won't change regardless of his performance in the match. Think that was the point to the whole thread.

Thats probably true, imho he did nothing much wrong yesterday, apart from dilly dallying when Bullen was put through. Its a shame he did that, as again imho he would/should have been praised for yesterdays performance.

wee 162
29-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Thats probably true, imho he did nothing much wrong yesterday, apart from dilly dallying when Bullen was put through. Its a shame he did that, as again imho he would/should have been praised for yesterdays performance.

He had two or three yesterday where he did judge it right and the ball did just get into the box. With the one at the end I'm not sure there was an awful lot more he could have done with it. It was at an awkward height by the time he was near it, and the only way he could have done anything with it earlier would have been to head it clear. I can't mind if there was any other Falkirk players near (I certainly can't mind any Hibs defenders near it) which meant he would not have been able to do that safely.

I've not seen the incident again on the tele, but did he kick it off Bullen, or did Bullen get to it first?

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 04:06 PM
He had two or three yesterday where he did judge it right and the ball did just get into the box. With the one at the end I'm not sure there was an awful lot more he could have done with it. It was at an awkward height by the time he was near it, and the only way he could have done anything with it earlier would have been to head it clear. I can't mind if there was any other Falkirk players near (I certainly can't mind any Hibs defenders near it) which meant he would not have been able to do that safely.

I've not seen the incident again on the tele, but did he kick it off Bullen, or did Bullen get to it first?

:agree: Something Stack the keeper that never comes off his line would have done, and has done this season.:wink:

Gatecrasher
29-11-2009, 04:08 PM

I don't think anyones being racist at all, people rarely have a pop at Bamba of latapy or zemmama at the times they played.

Probably because they entertained us without making us have anheart attack at the same time:rolleyes:

erskine-hibby
29-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Heard that one a few years ago too, but he has failed to reach the hights that some people think he is capable of.
I thought that with Stack arriving he would show some kind of improvement in his casual attitude, but alas this seems yet another misplaced hope.
IMHO we got rid of the better goalie :agree:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Heard that one a few years ago too, but he has failed to reach the hights that some people think he is capable of.
I thought that with Stack arriving he would show some kind of improvement in his casual attitude, but alas this seems yet another misplaced hope.
IMHO we got rid of the better goalie :agree:

Perhaps we were a little hasty in getting rid of Gordon Marshall? :devil: I think personally we have just had some very average keepers, and some bad ones as well. Something any goalkeeping coach would have struggled with.

Golden Bear
29-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't think anyones being racist at all, people rarely have a pop at Bamba of latapy or zemmama at the times they played.

Probably because they entertained us without making us have anheart attack at the same time:rolleyes:

In fact if Maka was a baldy heided hun supporting white weegie then I've a feeling the criticism would have been much more vitriolic than it has been!

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I think there is definitely a subconscious racism coming into play here. Goalies are usually eccentrics and off-the-wall personalities, but there seems an element of Budgie/Stack = character, Maka = clown supposition bubbling under the surface, which I must say I find pretty distasteful.
Oh dear..... :rolleyes:

A Hibs goalie who kept a clean sheet and made a couple of decent saves shouldn't be the subject of a four-page debate.
Maka has been the subject of long threads on here even when he hasn't been playing. Why should yesterday be any different?

It's because he has the misfortune to be a Hibs goalie. When this board is quiet and someone wants to stir it up, they start a thread on goalkeeping.

I think subconciously a few people tend to notice mistakes from our black players more than the others.
Oh dear .... #2

I don't think that makes them racist. .
:greengrin

I think that's exactly what that makes them - if it were true.

fife hfc
29-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm not going to trawl through 5 pages of regurgitated arguements over who is the better gk. But I will say maka played well yesterday in difficult circumstances and his piece of skill was risky but excellent:thumbsup: Also his save from the chip was top drawer.

I don't know who were the commentators yesterday but my bet it was the two yam fuds Preston and Mitchell, who I have heard slag off Maka before just because of who he is. Lets face it Preston wants to have a go at hibs at every opportunity as his slagging of bamba (when we signed him) shows. Even if it was not them they have thrown so much ***** his way it has stuck with the rest of the twats on BBC Scotland.

Anyway good luck maka I'm not your biggest fan but I want you to do well.

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 05:34 PM
:agree: Something Stack the keeper that never comes off his line would have done, and has done this season.:wink:That wasn't the time he came charging out of his box and missed everything then? But got away with it! But that was OK cos he's hard and shouts a lt :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 05:40 PM
That wasn't the time he came charging out of his box and missed everything then? But got away with it! But that was OK cos he's hard and shouts a lt :cool2:

Its apparent you cant read as well as judge goalkeeping skills. Maka should have come out and headed it clear, just as Stack did a couple of weeks ago. Should Stack just have dithered like Maka did yesterday, or was that another piece of goalkeeping magic from him?

'Mon the Hibs
29-11-2009, 05:46 PM

:rolleyes::confused:

Was it racist when we were going mental over Zibi/Brown?

Was it racist when we all gave O'Brien pelters?

Skin colour isn't the issue here... (even if it is for you)... the fact is that some people don't rate him.... others do.

I see it as for every 10-15 good things he does, a howler is coming round the corner.... He doesn't fill me with much confidence and seems unorthadox for a goalkeeper. He has made some howlers in his time with us, but then so do a lot of keepers. If he keeps the ball out of the net, by any means possible, then that's good for me.

One thing though, I feel more comfortable with Stack in goals now, despite the uncertainty with crosses.

Incidently, for the BBC highlights, I didn't realise that that was how he cleared the ball from the oncoming Bullen. From the comments, I thought he had it under control first, then did trickewry to get rid of the ball...

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Its apparent you cant read as well as judge goalkeeping skills. Maka should have come out and headed it clear, just as Stack did a couple of weeks ago. Should Stack just have dithered like Maka did yesterday, or was that another piece of goalkeeping magic from him?So you're not talking about the time Stack came charging out and missed the ball the player and everything else? You're talking about the one he got his head to... Maka's decision as whether to come or not was much trickier yesterday because he was much more exposed with no defender with a hope of bailing him out. Remind me though.. Did he do enough to prevent them scoring?:cool2:

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Skin colour isn't the issue here... (even if it is for you)... the fact is that some people don't rate him.... others do.

I see it as for every 10-15 good things he does, a howler is coming round the corner.... He doesn't fill me with much confidence and seems unorthadox for a goalkeeper. He has made some howlers in his time with us, but then so do a lot of keepers. If he keeps the ball out of the net, by any means possible, then that's good for me.

One thing though, I feel more comfortable with Stack in goals now, despite the uncertainty with crosses.

Incidently, for the BBC highlights, I didn't realise that that was how he cleared the ball from the oncoming Bullen. From the comments, I thought he had it under control first, then did trickewry to get rid of the ball...The BBC highlights didn't show the one where he did the Cruyff drag back.. It was a different passage of play.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 06:02 PM
So you're not talking about the time Stack came charging out and missed the ball the player and everything else? You're talking about the one he got his head to... Maka's decision as whether to come or not was much trickier yesterday because he was much more exposed with no defender with a hope of bailing him out. Remind me though.. Did he do enough to prevent them scoring?:cool2:

I'm wasting my time here.

soupy
29-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Why is it all the guys who are having a go at Maka for taking on Bullen, havent mentioned Bamba doing the exact same on the edge of our box, and just getting away with it by the skin of his teeth, alot less convincing than Makas, if Bamba had lost it, it would have been a cert for a goal, but i dont see it mentioned anywhere. The 2 of the guys got away with it, so move on. unless it was only me that seen it..:grr:

hibbytam
29-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I've not seen the game, nor have I managed to watch more than the mere bbc highlights, but there's one key fact. He didn't let in any goals. I don't especially care how he goes about that. Fancy turns, punches. He could even insist on saving everything with his backside. So long as he doesn't let anything in, it's all good.
Should probably not slag a goalie off for having a clean sheet.
We won smile!. gie it a break and enjoy being joint second coming into december. Must be a while since that's happened.

Perspective
29-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Yogi publicly humiliated Maka by having a sustained go at him, only stopping when he was restrained by Billy Thomson. He's a young goalkeeper who has no shortage of detractors and whose confidence is bound to be shot, so I think Yogi was out of order. Bad man-management (an area he's usually strong in).

However, Maka is a far better keeper than all the "knee-jerkers" on here, many of whom rarely set foot in ER when the team is actually playing as far as I can ascertain from posts and timing of posts during matches etc! :cool2:

That's a key point. How many people post and lambast players on here without actually going to the games? Forming opinions based on the views of radio commentators, brief highlights packages etc is a risky business.

I'm convinced Maka is a better goalie than Stack and will go onto prove that elsewhere. Just checked the number of games both have played in their careers to date. But there is no chance he will win over the doubters. He didn't do it even after man-of-the-match performances against Hearts and the Old Firm last season. And I agree with DashingBob that there is underlying racism with many towards him.

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 06:45 PM
When this board is quiet and someone wants to stir it up, they start a thread on goalkeeping...
I started the thread Beej, and I did it not because I wanted to 'stir it up' but in direct response to some (IMHO) completely unjustified panning of Maka on the match thread from people who were basing their opinion on comments from some radio aerosholes, while I had been at ER in the West South stand (ie the same end as Maka was playing).

So you're not talking about the time Stack came charging out and missed the ball the player and everything else?
You raise a good point. Casting my mind back to the league game v. St Johnstone, I seem to recall a certain Mr Stack come charging down the field about 30 or 40 yards for a ball he hadn't a hope of intercepting. Deuchar took it past him and somehow ballooned the ball over an empty goal.

That doesn' t make Stack a rubbish keeper - it's just one of those errors of judgement that a goalie will make from time to time. But it's interesting that we seem to have developed a total collective amnesia about the incident, whereas if it had been Maka there would be some people on this board still setting their watch by it.

marinello59
29-11-2009, 06:45 PM

I think you are wrong about the racism DBS. I hope you are.
I was at Brechin when he made his first appearance for us and I said after the game he looks a decent keepr but unfortunately he also thinks he is a football player. If he sticks to goalkeeping and forgets about being a sweeper I think he will be fine.
(I also thought AOB looked decent during that game so just ignore me.:greengrin)

down the slope
29-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Yogi publicly humiliated Maka by having a sustained go at him, only stopping when he was restrained by Billy Thomson. He's a young goalkeeper who has no shortage of detractors and whose confidence is bound to be shot, so I think Yogi was out of order. Bad man-management (an area he's usually strong in).

That's a key point. How many people post and lambast players on here without actually going to the games? Forming opinions based on the views of radio commentators, brief highlights packages etc is a risky business.

I'm convinced Maka is a better goalie than Stack and will go onto prove that elsewhere. Just checked the number of games both have played in their careers to date. But there is no chance he will win over the doubters. He didn't do it even after man-of-the-match performances against Hearts and the Old Firm last season. And I agree with DashingBob that there is underlying racism with many towards him.

This is out of order when people play the race card if you have a go at a player for not playing well in their opinion.
Anyone can check my posts from the past and to say i am a racist is not on and this needs sorting by the mods now.

marinello59
29-11-2009, 06:53 PM
This is out of order when people play the race card if you have a go at a player for not playing well in their opinion.
Anyone can check my posts from the past and to say i am a racist is not on and this needs sorting by the mods now.

Nobody has accused anybody of being a racist. DBS has suggested that Maka attracts extra critcism due to underlying racism. Personally I think he is wrong but it is an opinion he is allowed to express.

Perspective
29-11-2009, 06:55 PM

As far as I'm aware no one has singled you out as a racist, certainly not me.

I'm talking about 'supporters' at games using terms like 'spear-chucker', 'the boy should stick to basketball', 'gorilla' and so on.

Also aware that not everyone who doesn't rate him has said such things.

Nailrod
29-11-2009, 06:59 PM
By the way, I gave the goalkeeping in today's Arsenal-Chelsea match a bit of extra attention:

83rd minute: Almunia dithers coming out for a ball that is clearly his, forcing Gallas into a hasty and dangerous clearance...

86th minute: Almunia makes a complete pig's ear of his postioning for a Drogba free kick, and lets in a goal on what is supposed to be his side...

I just hope that when we ship that loser Makalambay at the end of this season, Arsenal don't manage to dump their useless first-choice keeper on us in his place...

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I started the thread Beej, and I did it not because I wanted to 'stir it up' but in direct response to some (IMHO) completely unjustified panning of Maka on the match thread from people who were basing their opinion on comments from some radio aerosholes, while I had been at ER in the West South stand (ie the same end as Maka was playing).

You raise a good point. Casting my mind back to the league game v. St Johnstone, I seem to recall a certain Mr Stack come charging down the field about 30 or 40 yards for a ball he hadn't a hope of intercepting. Deuchar took it past him and somehow ballooned the ball over an empty goal.

That doesn' t make Stack a rubbish keeper - it's just one of those errors of judgement that a goalie will make from time to time. But it's interesting that we seem to have developed a total collective amnesia about the incident, whereas if it had been Maka there would be some people on this board still setting their watch by it.

Haven't studied the form on this thread that closely as I believe much of the thread content to be seriously ourt of order, but..........I wouldn't be surprised if there were less than a dozen names seriously having a go (albeit repeatedly and using the same 2 or 3 "mistakes" or "errors of judgement" as I'd prefer to call them :cool2:) at Maka for historical mistakes and hyping up the school of thought that coaching doesn't work with him and is therefore a complete waste of time! :confused:

Who amongst us doesn't make "errors of judgement at work and in virtually all aspects of our lives from time to time but we don't expect them to be dragged up every time we step in the office door each morning?! :grr:

Some of this stuff is seriously over the top IMO! :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Well I've been to plenty games and don't need the media to help me make my mind up. Maka nearly won me back after those games you mentioned but then he followed them up by gifting Aberdeen a goal in the next match.

Nothing to do with his race - I just think he's inconsistent - too inconsistent.

:agree: DBS threw it in as a wind-up IMO - notice he's not been back on since - however there are now others who seem to actually believe it.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Why is it all the guys who are having a go at Maka for taking on Bullen, havent mentioned Bamba doing the exact same on the edge of our box, and just getting away with it by the skin of his teeth, alot less convincing than Makas, if Bamba had lost it, it would have been a cert for a goal, but i dont see it mentioned anywhere. The 2 of the guys got away with it, so move on. unless it was only me that seen it..:grr:

No one has mentioned, as far as I can see, how shocking Stokes was yesterday! :confused:

The guy looked as if he wasn't interested at all and like he was seriously unfit and unwilling to get "stuck in" at 50/50 tackles!

Ian Murray demonstrates how professional athletes should compete particularly when they are having a stinker as Stokes was yesterday and as he has since the Rangers game IMO although yesterday was the worst of those! :grr:

No villifying threads about Stokes though for some reason! :confused:

GC
29-11-2009, 07:14 PM
No one has mentioned, as far as I can see, how shocking Stokes was yesterday! :confused:

They guy looked as if he wasn't interested at all and like he was seriously unfit and unwilling to get "stuck in" at 50/50 tackles!

Ian Murray demonstrates how professional athletes should compete particularly when they are having a stinker as Stokes was yesterday and as he has since the Rangers game IMO although yesterday was the worst of those! :grr:

Maka came in after the bunch of clowns that called themselves goalkeepers played for us and the press had a field day over it.

He plays with a bit of confidence and looks like he takes things too easy, makes a mistake here and there which all keepers do and the press have a field day with him too, Hibs fans jump on the bandwagon and Maka will forever be useless.

No matter what happens he is damaged goods with some Hibs fans who would turn against Buffon if he was in goals for us if the press dictated it to them.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Maka came in after the bunch of clowns that called themselves goalkeepers played for us and the press had a field day over it.

He plays with a bit of confidence and looks like he takes things too easy, makes a mistake here and there which all keepers do and the press have a field day with him too, Hibs fans jump on the bandwagon and Maka will forever be useless.

No matter what happens he is damaged goods with some Hibs fans who would turn against Buffon if he was in goals for us if the press dictated it to them.

What a load of pish. Do you really think folk can't make their own mind up?

Any ideas why the press haven't carried on the victimisation against Stack?

Perspective
29-11-2009, 07:19 PM
:agree: DBS threw it in as a wind-up IMO - notice he's not been back on since - however there are now others who seem to actually believe it.

I've heard similar comments about Bamba. It's maybe a generational thing, but it shouldn't be tolerated at Easter Road in 2009.

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 07:20 PM
There have been one or two in the past. Stokes has his critics on here, despite being caucasian.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I've heard similar comments about Bamba. It's maybe a generational thing, but it shouldn't be tolerated at Easter Road in 2009.

I agree, but to use it as the reason why some folk think Maka isn't a good enough keeper is bang out of order.

Hibs Spain
29-11-2009, 07:22 PM
By the way, I gave the goalkeeping in today's Arsenal-Chelsea match a bit of extra attention:

83rd minute: Almunia dithers coming out for a ball that is clearly his, forcing Gallas into a hasty and dangerous clearance...

86th minute: Almunia makes a complete pig's ear of his postioning for a Drogba free kick, and lets in a goal on what is supposed to be his side...

I just hope that when we ship that loser Makalambay at the end of this season, Arsenal don't manage to dump their useless first-choice keeper on us in his place...You want to have seen Spain's international goalie almost sell the jersys in the dying minutes tonight.. Miles out of his box duffed kick ... all over the place BUT got away with it :wink: No comment about him being a calamatous buffoon ... Reina had a few choice moments (along with a few great saves today) A potential bomb scare?? Not a peep against either. And they both are prone to pretty spectacular lapses :cool2:

Perspective
29-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree, but to use it as the reason why some folk think Maka isn't a good enough keeper is bang out of order.

Maybe it's not the reason why people don't rate him but it's how I've heard people express that dislike of him.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:25 PM

You've posted on it! (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2258195&posted=1#post2258195) :troll:

GC
29-11-2009, 07:25 PM
What a load of pish. Do you really think folk can't make their own mind up?

Any ideas why the press haven't carried on the victimisation against Stack?

Aye I'm more than certain some Hibs fans just go with whatever way the wind blows, the ones who are rarely at the games but seem to have an opinion on the players for a start.

I'll get back to you after Stack has made a mistake though and we will see what the headlines are, I could write them now if you want as we all know what they will be.

I'll tell you one thing though, see when he does make a mistake, I'll no be jumping on his back like some are on Maka, he's a decent keeper and I can see that for myself.

Maka's an easy target for some when you have the papers to tell you just how rubbish he is so hey, it must be true.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:27 PM
You've posted on it! (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2258195&posted=1#post2258195) :troll:

Aye thanks Dad! Very clever of you if I may say :confused:

Look at the times of the respective posts if you will! :confused:

I looked more carefully after I had posted as I don't spend as much time on here as some people clearly do! :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Aye I'm more than certain some Hibs fans just go with whatever way the wind blows, the ones who are rarely at the games but seem to have an opinion on the players for a start.

I'll get back to you after Stack has made a mistake though and we will see what the headlines are, I could write them now if you want as we all know what they will be.

I'll tell you one thing though, see when he does make a mistake, I'll no be jumping on his back like some are on Maka, he's a decent keeper and I can see that for myself.

Maka's an easy target for some when you have the papers to tell you just how rubbish he is so hey, it must be true.

There's folk on here saying Stack's made plenty mistakes. Media haven't bothered him yet though.

I won't jump on his back when he makes a mistake either - I'll give him a while and see if he produces them consistently and if he does I'll make my mind up then.

Without having a journalist tell me what I think.

BEEJ
29-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm talking about 'supporters' at games using terms like 'spear-chucker', 'the boy should stick to basketball', 'gorilla' and so on.
The fact that we have a handful of neanderthals within the Hibs support that spout this racist bile at matches is of immense disappointment. To have to stand near one of them as they show off their ignorance is, to say the least, repugnant.

But unfortunately there are some on here who seem to associate ANY criticism of Maka as coming from a racist viewpoint.

In so doing they stifle normal reasoned debate on here about player performances and skills.

Also aware that not everyone who doesn't rate him has said such things.
Sadly not everyone appears to be as discerning.

GC
29-11-2009, 07:32 PM
There's folk on here saying Stack's made plenty mistakes. Media haven't bothered him yet though.

I won't jump on his back when he makes a mistake either - I'll give him a while and see if he produces them consistently and if he does I'll make my mind up then.

Without having a journalist tell me what I think.

The ones who are saying he has made plenty of mistakes are the ones who have to love one and hate the other.

Stack has been solid so far and I'm happy he's here, I think Maka is the better keeper though but that's just an opinion.

The issue is the folk who have a pop at Maka over anything, look at this thread, what is it 6 pages now? and i still don't know what he did yesterday that was so shocking.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I slated Zibbi and Simon Brown in equal measures due to their intransigence and general ineptitude, but only slated Andy McNeil on the odd occassion.

I now realise that I must be a racist and that this was not due to the aforementioned being crap.

I have berated Maka and Stacky for various misdemeanours in the past. I need assistance to reconcile whether I am still racist, or whether I expect too much from a Hibs keeper?

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:45 PM
The ones who are saying he has made plenty of mistakes are the ones who have to love one and hate the other.
Stack has been solid so far and I'm happy he's here, I think Maka is the better keeper though but that's just an opinion.

The issue is the folk who have a pop at Maka over anything, look at this thread, what is it 6 pages now? and i still don't know what he did yesterday that was so shocking.

No they're not. I don't hate Maka - I just don't think he's our best keeper.

It appears to me that if you're a Maka lover then you've got to hate Stack - even though as you say he's been solid. There were certain folk on here that had made their mind up about him before he'd played for us. There must've been an article in the paper or something.:rolleyes:

BTW I thought Maka was good yesterday as well.

GC
29-11-2009, 07:48 PM
No they're not. I don't hate Maka - I just don't think he's our best keeper.

It appears to me that if you're a Maka lover then you've got to hate Stack - even though as you say he's been solid. There were certain folk on here that had made their mind up about him before he'd played for us. There must've been an article in the paper or something.:rolleyes:

BTW I thought Maka was good yesterday as well.

Aye ok, the journalist comment might have been a tad over the top but these Maka bashing threads are over the top.

I wasn't including you in the love or hate comment but there are a fair number that feel that to love one you have to hate the other, it's not as simple as that as most know.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I dont think we'd have anything like the arguments we have NOW, over how good/bad Maka is, if it were not for Hibs pain giving his way over the top condemnation of Stack, while telling us Maka is better than Buffon.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Yes I do. Racism has always flourished as a psychological construct on the notion of 'the other', ie: singling out someone who is seen and perceived as different from the majority.

In football, goalkeeping, unlike central defence, is a specialist set of skills, and keepers are seen as 'different' as other players, particularly in temperament. It has been a long-term cultural truth that goalkeepers are regarded as 'crazy'.

Racism in the west has traditionally thrived by prescribing different temperaments to different races. The cool, composed Anglo-Saxons versus the excitable 'darkies' or mediterraneans or hispanics etc etc.

So I'm suggesting that we operate along that matrix, albeit subconsciously. All of us, who are white western Europeans, particularly of British backgrounds who have grown up in a society with a legacy of imperialism, racist immigration laws and the intrinsic notion of ethnic superiourity/inferiourity cannot fail to be influenced by this.

This is not about me finger-pointing at any particular posters, only saying that we operate within a cultural context which is not favourable to non-whites.

To me this is just a simple and self-evident truth. It's not rocket science, but it does involve a degree of empathetic rather than tribal thinking. If people can't conceptualise and acknowledge that basic honesty, then they are either very thick, totally deceitful, or live on a different planet to me. (For which I would be glad if it were only the case.)

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Not unless you are prejudiced against Polish or English people.

Not unless you are prejudiced against Irish people.

Incidently, for the BBC highlights, I didn't realise that that was how he cleared the ball from the oncoming Bullen. From the comments, I thought he had it under control first, then did trickewry to get rid of the ball...

If you read my original post, I said that I have reservations about Maka as a keeper too. I personally prefer Stack. That doesn't make me a racist, nor does it make anybody else one. I just fear that their might be a cultural agenda as to why Maka gets so much stick on this board.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Nobody is calling anyone a racist. Having read many of your posts over the years, i'd be very surprised if you were. Please read my post again. It's NOT about finger-pointing at anyone, it's about acknowledging the footballing/social culture we live in.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Because Bamba hasn't got a reputation for being careless and making costly mistakes.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 08:11 AM
So you're not talking about the time Stack came charging out and missed the ball the player and everything else? You're talking about the one he got his head to... Maka's decision as whether to come or not was much trickier yesterday because he was much more exposed with no defender with a hope of bailing him out. Remind me though.. Did he do enough to prevent them scoring?:cool2:

You see, you need to scour the season to come up with incidents to knock Stack with.

Maka was involved in 3 close things, of his own making, in a 45 minute appearance on Saturday.

1. The unnecessary drag back.

2. Not coming out for the through ball.

3. Nearly throwing it underarm to the Falkirk player.

Surely even one as loyal as you can understand why folk are nervous when he's in goal?

If any of those incidents had caused a goal, Maka would have to find another occupation.

I want Maka to succeed, he has some fantastic attributes, but he must become more secure, and be seen to be more secure.

This season, I've been happier with Stack in goal. Saturday did nothing to change my opinion. How could it?

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 08:16 AM
But there is no chance he will win over the doubters.

Before worrying about that, he needs to stop losing his suppoorters.

I've furiously defended him in the past and I do still like him, but I can do without spending the whole game with my heart in my mouth.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 08:22 AM

Absolute rubbish.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I dont think we'd have anything like the arguments we have NOW, over how good/bad Maka is, if it were not for Hibs pain giving his way over the top condemnation of Stack, while telling us Maka is better than Buffon.

I don't agree BH that this can all be blamed upon HibSpain or, indeed, any one individual! :confused:

This "campaign" really has got some serious wheels on it now and I, for one, am now finding it akin to something which, in a normal workplace, might amount to a charge of "bullying" or "harrassment" and I alluded to that here (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2258175&postcount=216) in a post last night! :agree:

It seems to me that some people, less than a dozen posters on her in my rough assessment, are determined above anything else NEVER to allow anyone to forget that Maka has made a few "errors of judgement" as a young goalkeeper does, goodness some very experienced keepers make them from time to time yet they get "passed over" for what they are at the relevant time! Equally, the guy has played some serious stormers for Hibs so far and yet none of them feature in any post highlighting the 2 or 3 previous "errors of judgement" following a game when the guy has just played really very well at the week-end when he came on for Stack and made one possibly match winning save that would possibly have beyond any other goalkeeper Hibs has had now or in the past and................ he kept a clean sheet! :agree:

For me, this constant beratement of the guy, who does not deserve it IMHO, is completely unacceptable and way over the top! Stack, the favourite of those who berate Maka, on the other hand has made at least as many "errors of judgement" as Maka yet none of these are ever raised in the same light as Maka's presumably as someone else saved Stack's bacon by helping him out in preventing a goal being scored. :agree:

Both keepers have good and bad points irrespective of what gets posted on here! :cool2:

They should get the full support of ALL Hibs supporters and not "hung out to dry" in a most horrible way as seems to be happening here. "Errors of judgement" is an affliction from which we all suffer and hopefully, for those that don't seem to be able to accept that, I hope their bosses and work mates don't treat them as they are treating Maka on here! :agree:

That is all!

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Before worrying about that, he needs to stop losing his suppoorters.

I've furiously defended him in the past and I do still like him, but I can do without spending the whole game with my heart in my mouth.

You should carefully watch the second half again and ask yourself why you seem to have over-reactd as you outline above! :agree: :wink:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 08:40 AM
You should carefully watch the second half again and ask yourself why you seem to have over-reactd as you outline above! :agree: :wink:

I haven't over-reacted. I've joined in a discussion. Read my posts.

Maka has made some horrible mistakes in his time at Hibs. No-one would disagree that he needs to eradicate them from his game.

But he also needs to work at being consistantly safe and convincing his team mates and the fans that he is.

Imagine you're a passenger in a car and the driver keeps overtaking on bends, narrowly missing oncoming traffic and he gets you there in one piece.

Would you feel confident that he would keep you safe on your next journey?

That's how I feel with Maka, although Maka's a bit less life threatening. :wink:

I just want him to stop taking risks and being careless.

Is there anyone who doesn't want that?

Is that over reacting?

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Maka has made some horrible mistakes in his time at Hibs. No-one would disagree that he needs to eradicate them from his game.

But he also needs to work at being consistantly safe and convincing his team mates and the fans that he is.

Imagine you're a passenger in a car and the driver keeps overtaking on bends, narrowly missing oncoming traffic and he gets you there in one piece.

That's how I feel with Maka, although Maka's a bit less life threatening. :wink:

Is that over reacting?

As with everyone who "has reservations" about Maka, you have reverted to historical incidents rather than concentrated on what happened at the match in the context of what current goalkeepers do now that they are expected to act like a sweeper in the main and get the ball back into play as soon as possible in a manner that allows the team to play football the way it is set up to do!

Why not concentrate on what actually happened on Saturday and deal with those incidents clearly and concisely so that people can see that they guy is not going to be held accountable for these historical "errors of judegement" when he is a very good young goalkeeper working hard with the coaching staff to improve his game as any decent pro player would do! :agree:

Then people can appreciate what exactly it was on Saturday that caused you such strong emotional upset at the game! :agree:

Scouse Hibee
30-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Is that over reacting?

Think you've summed it up perfectly with the car scenario apart from the fact that he's already had a few collisions that have been costly. Would never ever get in a car with him again is my opinion.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't agree BH that this can all be blamed upon HibSpain or, indeed, any one individual! :confused:

This "campaign" really has got some serious wheels on it now and I, for one, am now finding it akin to something which, in a normal workplace, might amount to a charge of "bullying" or "harrassment" and I alluded to that here (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2258175&postcount=216) in a post last night! :agree:

It seems to me that some people, less than a dozen posters on her in my rough assessment, are determined above anything else NEVER to allow anyone to forget that Maka has made a few "errors of judgement" as a young goalkeeper does, goodness some very experienced keepers make them from time to time yet they get "passed over" for what they are at the relevant time! Equally, the guy has played some serious stormers for Hibs so far and yet none of them feature in any post highlighting the 2 or 3 previous "errors of judgement" following a game when the guy has just played really very well at the week-end when he came on for Stack and made one possibly match winning save that would possibly have beyond any other goalkeeper Hibs has had now or in the past and................ he kept a clean sheet! :agree:

For me, this constant beratement of the guy, who does not deserve it IMHO, is completely unacceptable and way over the top! Stack, the favourite of those who berate Maka, on the other hand has made at least as many "errors of judgement" as Maka yet none of these are ever raised in the same light as Maka's presumably as someone else saved Stack's bacon by helping him out in preventing a goal being scored. :agree:

Both keepers have good and bad points irrespective of what gets posted on here! :cool2:

They should get the full support of ALL Hibs supporters and not "hung out to dry" in a most horrible way as seems to be happening here. "Errors of judgement" is an affliction from which we all suffer and hopefully, for those that don't seem to be able to accept that, I hope their bosses and work mates don't treat them as they are treating Maka on here! :agree:

That is all!

You wont be surprised to know i disagree.:wink: I think 99% of the fans feel Maka is a decent keeper, who does make the odd blunder. Those same fans could again see on Saturday, he gave a performance that sort of sums the player up. He made a fantastic save, was way too casual coming off his line, and also gave us a couple of heart in mouth moments.

Its no surprise to me, most prefer a keeper who seems more steady eddie, than Maka. As for being hung out to dry, i dont get this at all. The only criticism he seems to get is on message boards, or in the pubs. At the games, the crowd chant his name, and get behind him, he's no Alan O'brien on that score.

Andy74
30-11-2009, 09:01 AM
You wont be surprised to know i disagree.:wink: I think 99% of the fans feel Maka is a decent keeper, who does make the odd blunder. Those same fans could again see on Saturday, he gave a performance that sort of sums the player up. He made a fantastic save, was way too casual coming off his line, and also gave us a couple of heart in mouth moments.

Its no surprise to me, most prefer a keeper who seems more steady eddie, than Maka. As for being hung out to dry, i dont get this at all. The only criticism he seems to get is on message boards, or in the pubs. At the games, the crowd chant his name, and get behind him, he's no Alan O'brien on that score.

Agreed and I'd add that as I said above, in one half he gave us more heart stoping moments than we've had recently so its quite natural that it would be pointed out as it rather sums the guy up. We're all waiting for him to cut these out and become the good goalkeeper he can be and Stack shows that you can just get on with things without too much fuss.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 09:02 AM

I did not experience the "heart in mouth" moments that you did as I thought that what he did, he actuall did well and without danger to his goal! :agree:

Opinions eh?! :wink:

So you don't theink that any of the players logs onto this web site and then tells the other players what the "fans" are saying about them? :confused:

Naive to say the least, particularly for you BH! :cool2: