PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the anti-Maka krap on the match thread?

Pages : 1 [2]

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 09:02 AM
As with everyone who "has reservations" about Maka, you have reverted to historical incidents rather than concentrated on what happened at the match in the context of what current goalkeepers do now that they are expected to act like a sweeper in the main and get the ball back into play as soon as possible in a manner that allows the team to play football the way it is set up to do!

Not on his own penalty spot.

And not according to his manager.

Why not concentrate on what actually happened on Saturday and deal with those incidents clearly and concisely so that people can see that they guy is not going to be held accountable for these historical "errors of judegement" when he is a very good young goalkeeper working hard with the coaching staff to improve his game as any decent pro player would do! :agree:

Again, I suggest you read my posts.

I have said his save was outstanding.

I have also pointed out 3 incidents which caused me, and more importantly his defenders, to lose confidence in him.

I don't think i have described any historical error. Just what happened on Saturday.

Then people can appreciate what exactly it was on Saturday that caused you such strong emotional upset at the game! :agree:

I already have, here (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2258554#post2258554), but I'll list them again.

1. He dribbled the ball past the oppositiion striker on his 6 yard line. He just got away with it.

2. He stayed in his box instead of "acting as sweeper" and intercepting a through ball. He just got away with it, but his lack of action cost us a corner.

3. He threw the ball out to a team mate underhand and just missed giving it straight to the opposition forward.

Those many near misses made me very nervous.

More to the point, his defenders became nervous so they stopped using him as an outlet thereby putting themselves under more pressure.

And remember, this was in a 45 minute appearance.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Not on his own penalty spot.

And not according to his manager.

Again, I suggest you read my posts.

I have said his save was outstanding.

I have also pointed out 3 incidents which caused me, and more importantly his defenders, to lose confidence in him.

I don't think i have described any historical error. Just what happened on Saturday.

I already have, but I'll list them again.

1. He dribbled the ball past the oppositiion striker on his 6 yard line. He just got away with it.

2. He stayed in his box instead of "acting as sweeper" and intercepting a through ball. He just got away with it, but his lack of action cost us a corner.

3. He threw the ball out to a team mate underhand and just missed giving it straight to the opposition forward.

Those many near misses made me very nervous.

More to the point, his defenders became nervous so they stopped using him as an outlet therby putting themselves under more pressure.

No point! I'm clearly watching a different game to the one you watched on Saturday in terms of your reporting of the "incidents" and your interpretation of them! :confused:

The guy will probably be hounded out of the club and then those that don't rate him will be content until the next poor lad pulls on the Hibs keeper's jersey! :confused:

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I did not experience the "heart in mouth" moments that you did as I thought that what he did, he actuall did well and without danger to his goal! :agree:

Opinions eh?! :wink:
See daves post above.:wink:

So you don't theink that any of the players logs onto this web site and then tells the other players what the "fans" are saying about them? :confused:

Naive to say the least, particularly for you BH! :cool2:

I really don't care if the players read the papers or the message boards. i'd be amazed if they didn't. If they cant take criticism from this type of media, they are surely in the wrong profession.

hibs1989
30-11-2009, 09:08 AM
With the help of stack and thomson maka could become a top keeper. Chelsea don't bring through muppets unless there something there maka has that he is a very good shot stopper, tall & strong is. He learns the mental side from stack he will improve.

Other clubs fan get on his back not just because of his few errors but because the media love jumping on a hibs keeper because of Zibi and brown. Okay so maka made a couple of high profile mistakes hasn't every keeper? Robinson yes foster yes boruc yes ruddy yes!

Get of his back and give him our support the boy a fantastic ambassador for the club he never misses out charity events for hibs, he has a laugh with the young hibs fans, and always has time for us the supporters. Unlike some of our players who I saw blatantly ignore requests for autographs before yesterdays game!

So every needs to remember he still young. If you ask stack he will be first to admit at maka's age he made errors. You learn from your mistakes. Hopefully couple you boys will learn from your mistakes and stop ripping into our players!

Andy74
30-11-2009, 09:09 AM
No point! I'm clearly watching a different game to the one you watched on Saturday in terms of your reporting of the "incidents" and your interpretation of them! :confused:

The guy will probably be hounded out of the club and then those that don't rate him will be content until the next poor lad pulls on the Hibs keeper's jersey! :confused:

Exact same interpretations I would put on them and I've been a big Maka fan.

He won't be hounded out of anywhere but to make it as a first choice or even a back up here he needs to make far better judgements and improve his concentration. The frustration for me is that he's just not seeing it and acting upon it.

Part/Time Supporter
30-11-2009, 09:12 AM
With the help of stack and thomson maka could become a top keeper. Chelsea don't bring through muppets unless there something there maka has that he is a very good shot stopper, tall & strong is. He learns the mental side from stack he will improve.

Other clubs fan get on his back not just because of his few errors but because the media love jumping on a hibs keeper because of Zibi and brown. Okay so maka made a couple of high profile mistakes hasn't every keeper? Robinson yes foster yes boruc yes ruddy yes!

Get of his back and give him our support the boy a fantastic ambassador for the club he never misses out charity events for hibs, he has a laugh with the young hibs fans, and always has time for us the supporters. Unlike some of our players who I saw blatantly ignore requests for autographs before yesterdays game!

So every needs to remember he still young. If you ask stack he will be first to admit at maka's age he made errors. You learn from your mistakes. Hopefully couple you boys will learn from your mistakes and stop ripping into our players!

Maka makes a couple of high profile mistakes in just about every bloody game, never mind in a career. It's all the more annoying with him because he has the athleticism and physique to be a very good goalkeeper. It's a position where you simply cannot afford to have someone who's mind seems to wander.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 09:12 AM
No point!

Unless you were actually interested in having a discussion with someone who has a different opinion to you.

I'm clearly watching a different game to the one you watched on Saturday in terms of your reporting of the "incidents" and your interpretation of them! :confused:

Eh? Did those things not happen?

The guy will be hounded out of the club and then those that don't rate him will be content until the next poor lad pulls on the Hibs keeper's jersey! :confused:

I've said that I like Maka. I've said that I want him to succeed. I've said I want him cut out the risky stuff and the careless mistakes.

If you think that that's hounding a player, you must be a very sensitive soul indeed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't think that the goalkeeping issues are enhanced at all by name calling and personalising things. If Maka was the man for the number 1 shirt then then he would start every week. That he could not make himself a regular under Collins, Mixu or Hughes surely can't be everyone else's fault? His tip over the bar was magnificent, but how do you square that with the goal he gave away up at Aberdeen? Last week at paisley, Stack was surefooted and composed and organised, and that fact that we came away with a point was down to him [IMO]. I have never seen that sort of performance from Maka. Technically sound and doing the basics. That said, Maka kept a clean sheet for 45, and if Stack does not recover for next week, then Maka keeps the shirt on merit and it is up to him to keep it.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Agreed and I'd add that as I said above, in one half he gave us more heart stoping moments than we've had recently so its quite natural that it would be pointed out as it rather sums the guy up. We're all waiting for him to cut these out and become the good goalkeeper he can be and Stack shows that you can just get on with things without too much fuss.I would strongly suggest that at Falkirk's goal it was more heart stopping than anything done by Maka..Watch it on the BBC highlights..Watch Stack..It's almost funny..Looks like he's watching a game of tennis.He didn't move for a very soft header from Flynn which missed by a few inches! These were heart stopping for me ..And there were more..Eddy May "Pedro was unlucky with his chip....If it was the other keeper we might have had a chance" :cool2:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I would strongly suggest that at Falkirk's goal it was more heart stopping than anything done by Maka..Watch it on the BBC highlights..Watch Stack..It's almost funny..Looks like he's watching a game of tennis.He didn't move for a very soft header from Flynn which missed by a few inches! These were heart stopping for me ..And there were more..Eddy May "Pedro was unlucky with his chip....If it was the other keeper we might have had a chance" :cool2:

This is true, I was very concerned at the time, but the reason for the lack of mobility was that he had injured his back.

It was that injury which gave Maka his chance in the second half.

It was a great save by Maka. I doubt Stack would have been tall enough.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I really don't care if the players read the papers or the message boards. i'd be amazed if they didn't. If they cant take criticism from this type of media, they are surely in the wrong profession.

Criticism is one thing - what's being said on here is way beyond that IMO! :wink:

Reading the papers is one thing. Reading this board where they see the "opinions" of the clubs "fans" is quite different and I am surprised your post suggests there is little to no difference between the two! :confused: :wink:

Anyhow, we have different opinions about things and that is healthy so long as the opinions do not get to the point of bullying, berating or worse to the point where an excellent young prospect moves elsewhere as a result! :confused: :wink:

No further progress can be made on this matter IMO due to different opinions and the fact that for most of us we have work and lives to be getting on with! :cool2:

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 09:48 AM
If you think that that's hounding a player, you must be a very sensitive soul indeed.

I don't think that anyone who knows me would agree with that suggestion! :wink:

However, I don't agree with you and therefore we will make no more progress on this discussion as I (for one) have a very limited ability to spend time on here! :agree: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
30-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Imagine you're a passenger in a car and the driver keeps overtaking on bends, narrowly missing oncoming traffic and he gets you there in one piece.

Would you feel confident that he would keep you safe on your next journey?

:top marks Brilliant analogy.

I would strongly suggest that at Falkirk's goal it was more heart stopping than anything done by Maka..Watch it on the BBC highlights..Watch Stack..It's almost funny..Looks like he's watching a game of tennis.He didn't move for a very soft header from Flynn which missed by a few inches! These were heart stopping for me ..And there were more..Eddy May "Pedro was unlucky with his chip....If it was the other keeper we might have had a chance" :cool2:

Well if Eddie May said it then it must be right.

It was a great save by Maka. I doubt Stack would have been tall enough.

Maybe he'd have been able to jump higher? Just 'cos he's smaller doesn't mean he can't get as high. A 6ft guy jumping 12 inches get's higher than a 6ft 5 guy jumping 6 inches.

Having said that - it was a great save.

as I (for one) have a very limited ability to spend time on here! :agree: :greengrin

So you keep saying, yet you keep posting!

--------
30-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't agree BH that this can all be blamed upon HibSpain or, indeed, any one individual! :confused:

This "campaign" really has got some serious wheels on it now and I, for one, am now finding it akin to something which, in a normal workplace, might amount to a charge of "bullying" or "harrassment" and I alluded to that here (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2258175&postcount=216) in a post last night! :agree:

It seems to me that some people, less than a dozen posters on her in my rough assessment, are determined above anything else NEVER to allow anyone to forget that Maka has made a few "errors of judgement" as a young goalkeeper does, goodness some very experienced keepers make them from time to time yet they get "passed over" for what they are at the relevant time! Equally, the guy has played some serious stormers for Hibs so far and yet none of them feature in any post highlighting the 2 or 3 previous "errors of judgement" following a game when the guy has just played really very well at the week-end when he came on for Stack and made one possibly match winning save that would possibly have beyond any other goalkeeper Hibs has had now or in the past and................ he kept a clean sheet! :agree:

For me, this constant beratement of the guy, who does not deserve it IMHO, is completely unacceptable and way over the top! Stack, the favourite of those who berate Maka, on the other hand has made at least as many "errors of judgement" as Maka yet none of these are ever raised in the same light as Maka's presumably as someone else saved Stack's bacon by helping him out in preventing a goal being scored. :agree:

Both keepers have good and bad points irrespective of what gets posted on here! :cool2:

They should get the full support of ALL Hibs supporters and not "hung out to dry" in a most horrible way as seems to be happening here. "Errors of judgement" is an affliction from which we all suffer and hopefully, for those that don't seem to be able to accept that, I hope their bosses and work mates don't treat them as they are treating Maka on here! :agree:

That is all!

:top marks

soupy
30-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Because Bamba hasn't got a reputation for being careless and making costly mistakes.

Im sure Bamba has been careless a few times in a hibs strip, imho...

Seveno
30-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Put Maka to the side for a moment.

From the moment he was on, the rest of the defence looked much more vulnerable. Reason ? They have no idea what their keeper is going to do.

A calm relaxed Hogg become a bundle of nerves when he was just beginning to get his game together again after his loss of form.

Stack isn't the greatest goalie I've seen at ER but the guys around him seem to like him so that's good enough for me.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by soupy
Why is it all the guys who are having a go at Maka for taking on Bullen, havent mentioned Bamba doing the exact same on the edge of our box, and just getting away with it by the skin of his teeth, alot less convincing than Makas, if Bamba had lost it, it would have been a cert for a goal, but i dont see it mentioned anywhere.

Im sure Bamba has been careless a few times in a hibs strip, imho...

Maybe, but unlike Maka, he hasn't got a reputation for it.

Everyone can forgive a mistake, but when they keep happening, or are perceived to keep happening, people are less tolerant.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Everyone can forgive a mistake, but when they keep happening, or are perceived to keep happening, people are less tolerant.Perceived - Being the operative word ...:wink:

GC
30-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Everyone can forgive a mistake, but when they keep happening, or are perceived to keep happening, people are less tolerant.

That perception is based upon Maka being unfairly branded a "calamity" by the media and has been jumped on my fans, before you mention the mistakes that have been made we all know about them but they seem to be made ten times worse when it's him rather than any other goalkeeper.

You have your opinion on his abilities and that is fine but you can't deny that there is a fairly biased perception if him from all areas.

Allant1981
30-11-2009, 03:19 PM
thought his save at the weekend was excellent and certainly deserves the praise but if he is going to take the praise then he needs to take the flak when he messes up also

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 04:08 PM
That perception is based upon Maka being unfairly branded a "calamity" by the media and has been jumped on my fans, before you mention the mistakes that have been made we all know about them but they seem to be made ten times worse when it's him rather than any other goalkeeper.

You have your opinion on his abilities and that is fine but you can't deny that there is a fairly biased perception if him from all areas.

Not by this fan. I like to think i make my mind up with what i see with my own eyes.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 04:15 PM

I have never branded him a calamity and I am not biased against him.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans would love him to be a success at Hibs, hence the Makalamby song (there is no equivelant for Graham Stack) and if he cut out the silly errors and the poor decisions, he could be a cult hero.

However, he gets critisised, fairly, because the fans don't trust him not to make serious errors.

Fair or unfair, it doesn't matter. Until he can be relied on to do the simple things properly, and regularly, people won't have confidence in him.

hibee-shtuggie
30-11-2009, 04:16 PM
there is absolutely no doubting makalambays agility and shot-stopping ability - no doubting at all. the fact that he came through at chelsea shows this - they GENERALLY dont bring through dross. HOWEVER, his decision making, concentration and kicking can sometimes be a bit poor...to say the least. having watched him drop several clangers whilst at hibs( i recognise he has had some clean sheets and good performances) no one can seriously want him as number 1 keeper at the club ahead of stack. stack may be a play safe keeper but that is what we have needed the last few years. our defence is pretty solid( unbeaten in 9) and stack has been good when he has been called into action. his cross collecting may not be spot on all of the time but as an OVERALL package, he is much better than maka. FACT. never since zibi has a keeper giving me the heeby jeebys as much as maka, in fact i would go as far to say that he has my heart in my mouth more often than zibi did. as good as he can be- hes a bloody nightmare through his laidback attitude and lack of concentration

Jonnyboy
30-11-2009, 04:18 PM
To quote a well known poster :wink: I can only say what I see

Stack has done nothing to deserve being dropped

Maka made a save on Saturday that Stacky probably wouldn't have made but that doesn't mean he should start the next game if Stack is fit

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Perceived - Being the operative word ...:wink:

Indeed.

And perception is reality. Perceptions are often correct.

Whether in this case, the perceptions are accurate or not, if your actions portray laziness, carelessness, poor judgement or a lack of professionalism, whether it's deserved, or not, it can make or break a career path.

I admire you for sticking up for Maka - I know how it fells to be the last one defending a player/manager - but your refusal to accept that he makes too many mistakes damages your credibility.

At least, that's my perception.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Not by this fan. I like to think i make my mind up with what i see with my own eyes.

Wonder what will happen when Stack makes a couple or "errors of judgement" that cost goals to go with the many he has made which haven't so far! :wink:

There isn't a keeper in the World who doesn't make such mistakes so it will happen as sure as night follows day! :agree:

A crucial point that a small (ish) but very vocal number posting on here forget when it comes to Maka! :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Wonder what will happen when Stack makes a couple or "errors of judgement" that cost goals to go with the many he has made which haven't so far! :wink:

He will get slaughtered like any other player, thats the way it works with footballers.:wink: Until such times though, i will keep the stick for the one that not learning from his previous mistakes, or my perception of them.:devil:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 04:29 PM

There isn't a keeper in the World who doesn't make such mistakes so it will happen as sure as night follows day! :agree:

A crucial point that a small (ish) but very vocal number posting on here forget when it comes to Maka! :cool2:

It will depend on the type of errors, the frequency of them and the consequenses.

If Stack starts playing like Maka does, he'll get the same critisism. Obviously.

But he hasn't so far.

It's almost like you can't wait for him to chuck one in his own net so you can say "I told you so". :bitchy:

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Indeed.

And perception is reality. Perceptions are often correct.

Whether in this case, the perceptions are accurate or not, if your actions portray laziness, carelessness, poor judgement or a lack of professionalism, whether it's deserved, or not, it can make or break a career path.

I admire you for sticking up for Maka - I know how it fells to be the last one defending a player/manager - but your refusal to accept that he makes too many mistakes damages your credibility.

At least, that's my perception.

Equally, your persistent failure to recognise the good things that Maka can offer as a goalkeeper and your continual dragging up of historical matters to hang him with damages your credibility to some of us who are not quite so tunnel visioned in our approach to all things Hibs IMO! :cool2:

He came on at short notice at half time on Saturday and did nothing wrong of a significant nature (dribbling around Bullen was I agree unorthodox but was done very well and was better than kicking the ball against him and possibly generating a goal opportunity for Falkirk that way) and kept a clean sheet! :agree:

Bamba and Hogg had been misplacing passes from the first whistle with Bamba consantly mistiming tackles and headers from then too! To suggest that Maka was somehow responsible for this continuing in the second half is actually verging on the ridiculous! :confused:

That's my perception anyway!

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Equally, your persistent failure to recognise the good things that Maka can offer as a goalkeeper and your continual dragging up of historical matters to hang him with damages your credibility to some of us who are not quite so tunnel visioned in our approach to all things Hibs IMO! :cool2:

He came on at short notice at half time on Saturday and did nothing wrong of a significant nature (dribbling around Bullen was I agree unorthodox but was done very well and was better than kicking the ball against him and possibly generating a goal opportunity for Falkirk that way) and kept a clean sheet! :agree:

Bamba and Hogg had been misplacing passes from the first whistle with Bamba consantly mistiming tackles and headers from then too! To suggest that Maka was somehow responsible for this continuing in the second half is actually verging on the ridiculous! :confused:

Nearly everyone to a man including radge has praised his save on saturday, and many others.:confused:

GC
30-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I have never branded him a calamity and I am not biased against him.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans would love him to be a success at Hibs, hence the Makalamby song (there is no equivelant for Graham Stack) and if he cut out the silly errors and the poor decisions, he could be a cult hero.

However, he gets critisised, fairly, because the fans don't trust him not to make serious errors.

Fair or unfair, it doesn't matter. Until he can be relied on to do the simple things properly, and regularly, people won't have confidence in him.

Can you tell me where the criticism is justified on this thread after his match against Falkirk?

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Maka made a save on Saturday that Stacky probably wouldn't have made but that doesn't mean he should start the next game if Stack is fit

As you well know Jonnyboy, that's not what this thread is about nor why there are as many posts on it as there are! :wink:

I don't think many of those who are concerned at the amount of stick being dished out to Maka over his 45 minute relative cameo appearance when it was largely unjustified in the opinion of a large number of people who witnessed his performance at ER on Saturday myself included! :confused:

He kept a clean sheet lest we forget! :agree:

I agree with your observations regarding who should play in goal on Saturday assuming the scenario you outline! :agree:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Well your perception is wrong. But that's understandable as you don't pay any attention to the things I say which don't suit your opinion.

I have consistantly given Maka credit for the good things he does.

I have said his save on Saturday was top drawer. I have said that he has many fine attributes, his height, his presence at dead balls and his shop stopping are all very good.

All he needs to do is stop the unorthodox stuff.

No, he didn't do anything significantly wrong, but he had close misses which I'd rather he didn't.

By the way, his dribble round Bullen was not done "well". He nearly fell over and had to go backwards to retrieve it. Totally unnecessary and foolhardy.

It's almost like he thinks he's bullet proof cos he made a good save earlier on.

If he hadn't done that, and the other couple of dodgy monents, I'd be on here singing his praises. This is the first time I have ever critisised him in public.

Clearing the ball is the better option for a goalkeeper. The worst that can happen is that we lose posession 60 yards up the park but our players are already re-grouped and behind the ball.

If he fluffs the dribble, we lose a goal.

I wonder what the coaching manuals teach young goalkeepers to do when the ball is passed back by a defender.

Maka's a young keeper, I keep getting reminded.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Well your perception is wrong. But that's understandable as you don't pay any attention to the things I say which don't suit your opinion.
I have consistantly given Maka credit for the good things he does.

I have said his save on Saturday was top drawer. I have said that he has many fine attributes, his height, his presence at dead balls and his shop stopping are all very good.

All he needs to do is stop the unorthodox stuff.

No, he didn't do anything significantly wrong, but he had close misses which I'd rather he didn't.

By the way, his dribble round Bullen was not done "well". He nearly fell over and had to go backwards to retrieve it. Totally unnecessary and foolhardy.

It's almost like he thinks he's bullet proof cos he made a good save earlier on.

If he hadn't done that, and the other couple of dodgy monents, I'd be on here singing his praises. This is the first time I have ever critisised him in public.

Clearing the ball is the better option for a goalkeeper. The worst that can happen is that we lose posession 60 yards up the park but our players are already re-grouped and behind the ball.

If he fluffs the dribble, we lose a goal.

I wonder what the coaching manuals teach young goalkeepers to do when the ball is passed back by a defender.

Maka's a young keeper, I keep getting reminded.

How unbelievably condescending! :greengrin

Sorry I hadn't realised how important you were, at least in your own mind! :greengrin

:faf: :faf: :faf:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Can you tell me where the criticism is justified on this thread after his match against Falkirk?

Haven't you been reading this thread?

When he does his stupid tricks/dribble/walkabouts and doesn't come for through balls and casually throws the ball underarm almost to the Falkirk striker, he damages everyone's confidence.

Until he stops that, he won't be the number 1 keeper.

He got away with 3 unnecessary incidents, all caused by himself.

That's what he's being critisised for.

soupy
30-11-2009, 05:00 PM
thought his save at the weekend was excellent and certainly deserves the praise but if he is going to take the praise then he needs to take the flak when he messes up also

This is true, but he didnt mess up on Saturday!!!

GC
30-11-2009, 05:04 PM

When he does his stupid tricks/dribble/walkabouts and doesn't come for through balls and casually throws the ball underarm almost to the Falkirk striker, he damages everyone's confidence.

That's what he's being critisised for.

I think you know that I have been reading this thread as I have been on of the main posters contributing to this discussion.

I have read everyone's views on this.

I was wondering if you could give me a reason to justify the criticism he has received and you reverted to situations where things COULD have went wrong.

Not justified at all in my opinion.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 05:04 PM
How unbelievably condescending! :greengrin

Sorry I hadn't realised how important you were, at least in your own mind! :greengrin

:faf: :faf: :faf:

My importance or not is entirely irrelevant.

You accused me of something and I pointed out that if you had bothered to read what I actually said, you would see that you werre mistaken.

But you choose not to do so.

Resorting to name calling and insuts always mean you've lost the argument, by the way.

Now that was condescending. Albeit correct.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I think you know that I have been reading this thread as I have been on of the main posters contributing to this discussion.

I have read everyone's views on this.

I was wondering if you could give me a reason to justify the criticism he has received and you reverted to situations where things COULD have went wrong.

Not justified at all in my opinion.

I am critisisng him for taking unnecessary risks.

Should I not worry when I see that happening?

If he keeps taking risks, he will come a cropper.

GC
30-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I am critisisng him for taking unnecessary risks.

Should I not worry when I see that happening?

If he keeps taking risks, he will come a cropper.

Sometimes I think people are looking for these risks so that they can use it as a tool to make their point. I never seen any issues with the game on Saturday and I certainly never walked out of ER thinking god that Maka is a bombscare.

degenerated
30-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Sometimes I think people are looking for these risks so that they can use it as a tool to make their point. I never seen any issues with the game on Saturday and I certainly never walked out of ER thinking god that Maka is a bombscare.

the manager certainly seemed to think so as he gave him a roasting for it on saturday.

FWIW i think Makalamby is a good keeper but i just think that Stack is better and our league position and goals against column goes a long way to proving that.

GC
30-11-2009, 05:25 PM
the manager certainly seemed to think so as he gave him a roasting for it on saturday.

FWIW i think Makalamby is a good keeper but i just think that Stack is better and our league position and goals against column goes a long way to proving that.

I never seen the reaction from Hughes but by all accounts he went spare.

He's the boss so who am I to tell him but an over-reaction possibly?

See when Maka messes up I can see it for myself and wonder what he is playing at but there are plenty keepers who are a bit eccentric but still don't take half the flak he does when he has games that he has done nothing wrong.

It seems like it's clutching at straws to find something to harass him about.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Me neither, but i did walk out thinking he is still not learning from past mistakes, and is still way too casual. And for those reasons, i hope Stack is fit again next saturday.

GC
30-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Me neither, but i did walk out thinking he is still not learning from past mistakes, and is still way too casual. And for those reasons, i hope Stack is fit again next saturday.

That's his make up though, I don't think the casual way in which he plays the game will change.

Just to add though as it might have been missed before I have no problem at all with Stack, although Maka should keep the gloves as he came in and did well just as Stack kept them after coming in for Maka.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 05:36 PM
That's his make up though, I don't think the casual way in which he plays the game will change.

Just to add though as it might have been missed before I have no problem at all with Stack, although Maka should keep the gloves as he came in and did well just as Stack kept them after coming in for Maka.

If he wants to play for Hibs, or indeed a bigger club, i think he has to change the casual way he plays. In fact i think its partly the reason he loses some of the stupid goals he has conceded.:boo hoo:

I disagree with you on next week though, Stack is No1, and if fit should imho play.

degenerated
30-11-2009, 05:38 PM
If he wants to play for Hibs, or indeed a bigger club, i think he has to change the casual way he plays. In fact i think its partly the reason he loses some of the stupid goals he has conceded.:boo hoo:

I disagree with you on next week though, Stack is No1, and if fit should imho play.

my thoughts as well, if stacks fit then he has to go back in the team. much the same as in that although rankin had a good game on saturday if mcbride is fit then he has to go straight back in again.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Maka made a save on Saturday that Stacky probably wouldn't have made but that doesn't mean he should start the next game if Stack is fitI don't believe Maka did anything to deserve being dropped.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 06:37 PM

That's what he's being critisised for.Stack caused a minimum of three unnecessary incidents on Saturday .. All caused by his inability to command his box. One was a "goal" the others should have been goals :agree: All about perception though :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
30-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't believe Maka did anything to deserve being dropped.

:fishin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OAmTpaf_4w&feature=related

degenerated
30-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Stack caused a minimum of three unnecessary incidents on Saturday .. All caused by his inability to command his box. One was a "goal" the others should have been goals :agree: All about perception though :greengrin

my perception is that what you appear to know about goalkeeping i could carve on the back of an aspirin with an axe :wink:

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 07:52 PM
:fishin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OAmTpaf_4w&feature=relatedI've said already (laugh if you want to) Maka did that deliberately to make a point to the ref. Not condoning it and I'm sure he won't try the same stunt again :agree:

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I've said already (laugh if you want to) Maka did that deliberately to make a point to the ref. Not condoning it and I'm sure he won't try the same stunt again :agree:

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: Thanks for allowing me that chuckle. :faf::faf::faf:

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 08:08 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: Thanks for allowing me that chuckle. :faf::faf::faf:Allow me to help you here. Imagine this scenario. Aberdeen v Hibs. Free kick to Hibs ten yards outside our own penalty box. Hogg is waiting to take the free kick.. Aberdeen player is deliberately and slowly not going back ten yards and the ref is doing nothing about it.Hogg,in frustration at the lack of protection/attention from the ref,clatters the ball against the Aberdeen player. The ball canons back off the Aberdeen player into our net. Goal to Aberdeen.The ref in a fit of pique refuses to be seen to have been remiss and allows the goal.Ya esta.. Nada mas..:greengrin

BEEJ
30-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Allow me to help you here. Imagine this scenario. Aberdeen v Hibs. Free kick to Hibs ten yards outside our own penalty box. Hogg is waiting to take the free kick.. Aberdeen player is deliberately and slowly not going back ten yards and the ref is doing nothing about it.Hogg,in frustration at the lack of protection/attention from the ref,clatters the ball against the Aberdeen player. The ball canons back off the Aberdeen player into our net. Goal to Aberdeen.The ref in a fit of pique refuses to be seen to have been remiss and allows the goal.Ya esta.. Nada mas..:greengrin
Equally as stupid and unprofessional as what actually happened.

So the point is ......

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 08:17 PM

So the point is ......

You are wasting your time.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 08:27 PM

So the point is ......The point is that Maka decided to take the law into his own hands and it backfired.It wasn't the case that he couldn't get the ball upfield by a plethora of different means.. Christ he can throw a ball from the edge his box to edge of the opponent's box,first bounce :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
30-11-2009, 08:29 PM
It's almost like you can't wait for him to chuck one in his own net so you can say "I told you so". :bitchy:

It's been like this since he came and threatened Maka's position. :agree:

:agree: Exactly.

He'll never get the big move I keep hearing about if he doesn't tone it down a bit.

I don't believe Maka did anything to deserve being dropped.

Maka wouldn't be being dropped - he was just a stand in on Saturday. Decent cameo, great save then a couple of moments to show us all what we're missing.

Danderhall Hibs
30-11-2009, 08:29 PM
The point is that Maka decided to take the law into his own hands and it backfired.It wasn't the case that he couldn't get the ball upfield by a plethora of different means.. Christ he can throw a ball from the edge his box to edge of the opponent's box,first bounce :confused:

So he's indisciplined as well?

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 08:34 PM
The point is that Maka decided to take the law into his own hands and it backfired.It wasn't the case that he couldn't get the ball upfield by a plethora of different means.. Christ he can throw a ball from the edge his box to edge of the opponent's box,first bounce :confused:

A fantastic skill any goalkeeper would be proud of, its just a pity Juggling and wandering around like a drunk, trying to find the toilets in a strange pub are not.

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 09:12 PM
It's been like this since he came and threatened Maka's position. :agree:

:agree: Exactly.

He'll never get the big move I keep hearing about if he doesn't tone it down a bit.

Maka wouldn't be being dropped - he was just a stand in on Saturday. Decent cameo, great save then a couple of moments to show us all what we're missing.My point was that he didn't do anything to merit being dropped in the first place.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 09:23 PM
My point was that he didn't do anything to merit being dropped in the first place.

Stop it. :faf::faf:

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 09:26 PM
A fantastic skill any goalkeeper would be proud of, its just a pity Juggling and wandering around like a drunk, trying to find the toilets in a strange pub are not.Are you deliberately trying to belittle one of our players?

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Are you deliberately trying to belittle one of our players?

I'm the ying to your yang.:kettle:

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm the ying to your yang.:kettle:In that case if you dont receive an infraction would you consider that an injustice?

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 09:34 PM
In that case if you dont receive an infraction would you consider that an injustice?

If i was out of order, no.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Stack caused a minimum of three unnecessary incidents on Saturday .. All caused by his inability to command his box. One was a "goal" the others should have been goals :agree: All about perception though :greengrin

You acknowledge he was injured though, don't you?

khib70
30-11-2009, 10:02 PM
A fantastic skill any goalkeeper would be proud of, its just a pity Juggling and wandering around like a drunk, trying to find the toilets in a strange pub are not.
Oi! That's my line!:rules: And it was about Colin Nish, anyway. Still, you know what they say about imitation:greengrin

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 10:08 PM
You acknowledge he was injured though, don't you?Yes but I don't think it changed what would have otherwise been the case. He wouldn't have gone OR got to any of the balls I'm reffering to anyway.

hibee-shtuggie
30-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Allow me to help you here. Imagine this scenario. Aberdeen v Hibs. Free kick to Hibs ten yards outside our own penalty box. Hogg is waiting to take the free kick.. Aberdeen player is deliberately and slowly not going back ten yards and the ref is doing nothing about it.Hogg,in frustration at the lack of protection/attention from the ref,clatters the ball against the Aberdeen player. The ball canons back off the Aberdeen player into our net. Goal to Aberdeen.The ref in a fit of pique refuses to be seen to have been remiss and allows the goal.Ya esta.. Nada mas..:greengrin

do you hear yourself talk, are you at the windup mate...well i came to the conclusion long ago that you are at the windup on here. hogg would never be that stupid, the aberdeen player would be at fault and you dont have to do anything in frustration, lack of experience and down right stupidity. dont quite see your point...

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 10:14 PM
do you hear yourself talk, are you at the windup mate...well i came to the conclusion long ago that you are at the windup on here. hogg would never be that stupid, the aberdeen player would be at fault and you dont have to do anything in frustration, lack of experience and down right stupidity. dont quite see your point...You've just seen my point in your post. "The Aberdeen player would be at fault" :confused:

hibee-shtuggie
30-11-2009, 10:18 PM
You've just seen my point in your post. "The Aberdeen player would be at fault" :confused:

apologies, i worded it awfully - getting late. i mean you dont have to kick the ball till the aberdeen is a reasnable distance away...you dont have to overreact and do that..maka did.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Oi! That's my line!:rules: And it was about Colin Nish, anyway. Still, you know what they say about imitation:greengrin

It also works with Maka.:wink:

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 10:29 PM
apologies, i worded it awfully - getting late. i mean you dont have to kick the ball till the aberdeen is a reasnable distance away...you dont have to overreact and do that..maka did.Players do it every week. Get frustrated and kick the ball against the player that's not retreating ten yards quickly enough. Sometimes the ref yellow cards the player that's blocking the free kick and sometimes yellow cards the player trying to take the free kick,presumably for agressive behaviour.Of course there is no need for for a player to take the law into his own hands. Maka did and it came back to slap him in the face. My point is though,that Maka knew what he was doing..It's not like he was some dumbo who didn't know his kick was going to hit Miller or whomever it was!! He was banking on the ref giving a foul for him.. 99.9% of the time he would have got the decision.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Players do it every week. Get frustrated and kick the ball against the player that's not retreating ten yards quickly enough.

Not goalkeepers from hand, when the ball is in play.

My point is though,that Maka knew what he was doing..

He did it deliberately?????????????

Jeezo, that makes it worse. I thought it was just an accident.

You say he banked on the ref giving him a foul instead of simply moving to his right to clear the ball from his hands or waiting a few seconds until Miller was away?

What is he, a frickin psychic?

What an erse he is then.

And you think that's defensible?

Hibs Spain
30-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Players do it every week. Get frustrated and kick the ball against the player that's not retreating ten yards quickly enough.

Not goalkeepers from hand, when the ball is in play.

He did it deliberately?????????????

Jeezo, that makes it worse. I thought it was just an accident.

You say he banked on the ref giving him a foul instead of simply moving to his right to clear the ball from his hands or waiting a few seconds until Miller was away?

What is he, a frickin psychic?

What an erse he is then.

And you think that's defensible?No more of an erse than a player doing what amounts to the same thing on any other part of the pitch.Like I say 99.9% of the time he would have been justified in his actions. If it had been an accident I would be in the posse running him out of town. You are or are pretending to miss the point :wink: In any case I'm certain he won't do it again :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-11-2009, 11:11 PM
No more of an erse than a player doing what amounts to the same thing on any other part of the pitch.

It amounted to a goal and 3 points lost.

That's not the same. It's inexcusable. For everyone bar you, of course. :wink:

Like I say 99.9% of the time he would have been justified in his actions.

He wouldn't have been justified though, would he? For deliberately kicking the ball at an opponent, he could have been booked for unsporting or ungentlemanly conduct.

He just needed to wait a few seconds or take 2 steps to the right, or left.

The thing is, he really did just made a mess of it.

TornadoHibby
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
You acknowledge he was injured though, don't you?

Silly question to ask most mortals but I'll risk it with you as you always seem to know everything about every subject raised and commented on by others on this mb and in much more "accurate" :cool2: detail than anyone else who posts here! :agree:

............ at what time in the first half did Stack get injured or, do you know that he was injured before the match started and therefore should not have been playing if his ability to "carry out his full playing duties and responsibilities during the match" was in any way restricted ? :confused:

He certainly appeared to be injured just before the second half started as he practised with the GK coach but at no time during the first half was I, at least, aware of him seeking treatment from the physio or looking as though he was injured in a significant way! :cool2:

:rolleyes:

Part/Time Supporter
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Silly question to ask most mortals but I'll risk it with you as you always seem to know everything about every subject raised and commented on by others on this mb and in much more "accurate" :cool2: detail than anyone else who posts here! :agree:

............ at what time in the first half did Stack get injured or, do you know that he was injured before the match started and therefore should not have been playing if his ability to "carry out his full playing duties and responsibilities during the match" was in any way restricted ? :confused:

He certainly appeared to be injured just before the second half started as he practised with the GK coach but at no time during the first half was I, at least, aware of him seeking treatment from the physio or looking as though he was injured in a significant way! :cool2:

There was an unusual warm up immediately before kick off between Stack and the goalkeeping coach. On reflection this may have been an effort to keep his back loose.

greenlex
01-12-2009, 08:29 AM
There was an unusual warm up immediately before kick off between Stack and the goalkeeping coach. On reflection this may have been an effort to keep his back loose.
They have done this several times recently PTS. It doesn't negate the possible reason for doing it though. I cannae believe this thread is still near the top of page 1 by the way.

TornadoHibby
01-12-2009, 09:13 AM
They have done this several times recently PTS. It doesn't negate the possible reason for doing it though. I cannae believe this thread is still near the top of page 1 by the way.

From what I can see on the thread, most people don't appear to like the vilification of a player, Maka, who came on as a second half substitute on Saturday and, whilst perhaps a wee bit unorthodox in a couple of things he did, kept us in the game with a fantastic fingertip save which few other keepers would possibly have bneen able to pull off, kept a clean sheet (nothin even close to a goal being scored against him) and the team won the match putting the club up to joint second top of the SPL! :agree:

The fact that a few people are ripping this guy to shreds, based upon "perceptions" and a very few "historical errors of judgement" which all of us are prone to but usually get away with, and that some of us don't like that, is why the thread will continue to stay near the top of the mb I suspect! :agree:

Maybe also these guys are self employed and don't to worry about being hounded and harrassed by colleagues or even people not connected to their work regarding any "errors of judgement" they might make in their particular line of work, whatever that might be. :confused:

Whatever we think, this nonsense could easily get back to Maka and could conceivably affect him detrimentally! That's not right nor fair IMO! :confused:

If something needs to be said to the lad about Saturday's performance, I am sure that John Hughes is more than capable of doing it in the best way for the club and the player rather than all sorts of "loose cannon" comments being fired about on here tearing the guy to shreds by people who seem to think they are qualified to do so! :grr:

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
From what I can see on the thread, most people don't appear to like the vilification of a player, Maka, who came on as a second half substitute on Saturday and, whilst perhaps a wee bit unorthodox in a couple of things he did, kept us in the game with a fantastic fingertip save which few other keepers would possibly have bneen able to pull off, kept a clean sheet (nothin even close to a goal being scored against him) and the team won the match putting the club up to joint second top of the SPL! :agree:
Yes he made a great save, everyone , even those who prefer stack have said this. You call it unorthodox, others call it unnecessary risk taking?:wink:
The fact that a few people are ripping this guy to shreds, based upon "perceptions" and a very few "historical errors of judgement" which all of us are prone to but usually get away with, and that some of us don't like that, is why the thread will continue to stay near the top of the mb I suspect! :agree:
I dont know of any other keeper who takes as many chances, or makes as many errors of judgements than he does. He has played something like 60 odd games for us, i cant quite remember the exact number. Yet his games to mistakes that have lead to goals ratio is not very good. Yes Stack is not the best, maybe he's just lucky, but he keeps mistakes, and goals against, down to a minimum. Plus the fans and more importantly the defence seem calmer with him in goals.
Maybe also these guys are self employed and don't to worry about being hounded and harrassed by colleagues or even people not connected to their work regarding any "errors of judgement" they might make in their particular line of work, whatever that might be. :confused:
Self employed, retired or leader of the monster raving loony party, all are entitled to an opinion
Whatever we think, this nonsense could easily get back to Maka and could conceivably affect him detrimentally! That's not right nor fair IMO! :confused:
He's in a game that people will give their opinions, its the most emotional sport i know of. If he cant take critisism, he needs to find something else to do, as its never going to change.
If something needs to be said to the lad about Saturday's performance, I am sure that John Hughes is more than capable of doing it in the best way for the club and the player rather than all sorts of "loose cannon" comments being fired about on here tearing the guy to shreds by people who seem to think they are qualified to do so! :grr:
Im sure Yogi will have something to say about it, he has in a way already said something to him about his goalkeeping, he picked Stack for the No1 spot.I'm 100% sure the comments will continue on here and other message boards, until such times as he cuts out the heart in mouth moments, and just does the very basics of goalkeeping right. He showed he can save the ball very well, he has that in his locker, he needs to give himself a shake, and just get off his line a bit quicker, clear his lines when the opportunity is there, and if he had done this on saturday, this thread would not exist

Andy74
01-12-2009, 09:49 AM

I think you are getting a bit carried away now.

Most people acknowledge he made a very good save and also that he di keep a clean sheet.

You can't get away from the fact though that in just 45 minutes he had two moments that showed very poor decision making. They didn't cost goals, but that's by the by, they could have an that was easily avoidable.

If Maka just came on, concentrated and cut out the bad decision making then we wouldn't be having these discussions.

I think many, like me, who have supported him through thick and thin are now getting just a little frustrated that he is doing nothing about eliminating the bad decision making from his game.

He's not being hounded, he actually gets terrific support, but he needs to do the basics right or it will always be discussed on here.

He has the makings of possiblty a great goalkeeper but I am not so sure he will ever achieve that until he changes his attitude to risk!

aberhibsfc
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I go to Easter Road to be entairtained.....Maka entertains me !

I like him as a goalie,what was that liverpool goalie called(South African) ?

end of ! (for me)

You thinking of Bruce Grobbelar (can't remember spelling) - Zimbabwe / Liverpool.

The newspapers, radio etc bang on about Makalamity, a goalkeeper is always an easy target. He is a decent young player and one which will get better with experience, I hope we can benefit from him when he begins to progress in the game. The press have had a field day since Brown and Malkowski and they just can't let it go. It's about the only bit of trivia (invented) that they can muster up from their indepth knowledge of OF and Hearts.

Preston was just about wetting himself at the prospect of Makalamby coming on and was trying to encourage fat Robbo to get involved in the jibes. Robbo didn't really rise to it. Preston is a wee letch, he takes issue with Hibs at every opportunity. Now whilst I don't expect all the pundits to be our biggest fans, I don't expect them to constantly jibe away at a team. He is not intelligent enough to be drawing a wage as a football expert.

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM
You thinking of Bruce Grobbelar (can't remember spelling) - Zimbabwe / Liverpool.

The newspapers, radio etc bang on about Makalamity, a goalkeeper is always an easy target. He is a decent young player and one which will get better with experience, I hope we can benefit from him when he begins to progress in the game. The press have had a field day since Brown and Malkowski and they just can't let it go. It's about the only bit of trivia (invented) that they can muster up from their indepth knowledge of OF and Hearts.

Preston was just about wetting himself at the prospect of Makalamby coming on and was trying to encourage fat Robbo to get involved in the jibes. Robbo didn't really rise to it. Preston is a wee letch, he takes issue with Hibs at every opportunity. Now whilst I don't expect all the pundits to be our biggest fans, I don't expect them to constantly jibe away at a team. He is not intelligent enough to be drawing a wage as a football expert.

While I agree with you about Preston and that can you explain why the media have “let it go” for Stack but not for Maka?

Andy74
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
While I agree with you about Preston and that can you explain why the media have “let it go” for Stack but not for Maka?

Strange one that eh? :wink:

aberhibsfc
01-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Maybe because Stack has done well, but then he should he's been around longer and has a better prepared team out in front of him.

Hibs Spain
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I reckon he means that the media don't consider all the mistakes Stack has made newsworthy.Standing on your line and causing a goal isn't as exciting as a goalie who comes for balls,drops the odd one but very rarely loses a goal through his actions.In fact he probably saves more potential goals than many would care to admit ...That'll be the reason for the media's take on things :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe because Stack has done well, but then he should he's been around longer and has a better prepared team out in front of him.

So if you don't make mistakes you don't get criticised? Sounds like good logic to me.

I reckon he means that the media don't consider all the mistakes Stack has made newsworthy.Standing on your line and causing a goal isn't as exciting as a goalie who comes for balls,drops the odd one but very rarely loses a goal through his actions.In fact he probably saves more potential goals than many would care to admit ...That'll be the reason for the media's take on things :agree:

:tee hee: We've got the 2nd best defensive record in the SPL. 9 goals conceded IIRC - and Maka caused one of them.

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
So if you don't make mistakes you don't get criticised? Sounds like good logic to me.

:tee hee: We've got the 2nd best defensive record in the SPL. 9 goals conceded IIRC - and Maka caused one of them.

I take it you are talking about the St Mirren game? I'd argue he should have done a lot better with the Falkirk goal away. I'm sure if it had been Stack in goal, Hibs pain would have gone ape over it.

CapitalHibs
01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Guys, the crux of the matter is this. Our manager's reaction to Maka (although playfull) as he came off the pitch says it all. Yogi, like a lot of us does not enjoy heart-in-the-mouth goalkeeping moments and has decided Graham Stack will be #1 for now.

Endof.

HFC 0-7
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Its not just that Maka has made mistakes, its the types of mistakes he has made. The one where he smashed the ball off the opposition player at aberdeen and into the net is the sort of mistakes that people remember.

Its not just fans its players too, I think that the defence are more confident when stack is in goals, OK, Stack stays on his line, but the defence know this and know that they have to deal with it. With Maka, you never know what he is going to do, stay on his line, come out and take the ball comfortably, or come out and try and take the ball in one hand, fumble and cause a goal mouth scramble. Maka may be a good keeper, but is not consistent, Stack is a good keeper who is consistent.

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I take it you are talking about the St Mirren game? I'd argue he should have done a lot better with the Falkirk goal away. I'm sure if it had been Stack in goal, Hibs pain would have gone ape over it.

I'm talking about the St Mirren "mix up". Don't know if I agree about the Falkirk one but I'm willing to take your word for it since it helps my argument!

Hibs Spain
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I take it you are talking about the St Mirren game? I'd argue he should have done a lot better with the Falkirk goal away. I'm sure if it had been Stack in goal, Hibs pain would have gone ape over it.I wasn't happy with the goal lost against Falkirk..I had a great view and didn't expect to see the ball in the back of the net.Had a few good solid stops as well though and a few high balls.

TornadoHibby
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Guys, the crux of the matter is this. Our manager's reaction to Maka (although playfull) as he came off the pitch says it all. Yogi, like a lot of us does not enjoy heart-in-the-mouth goalkeeping moments and has decided Graham Stack will be #1 for now.

Endof.

I don't think many people disagree with this quite honestly but that really is not the problem that many of us have with this thread which you would be aware of if you could be bothered reading it through before posting! :wink:

I appreciate it is a long thread but for me the thread never was about which of the two is the best keeper or who should have the gloves right now! :confused: :agree:

Malthibby
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Read every second page on this thread & hope I haven't missed anything crucial.
Stack is our No. 1 at the moment, but I hope we don't ditch Maka; he sometimes scares the sh-t out of me, & certainly 'livened' things up on Saturday, but I think he is gonna be a bloody good keeper.
Only way to prove it is to drop Stack for the rest of the season & see what happens.:greengrin
GG

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I wasn't happy with the goal lost against Falkirk..I had a great view and didn't expect to see the ball in the back of the net.Had a few good solid stops as well though and a few high balls.

:confused: Are you telling me Maka should have done better, or was that another one of his deliberate mistakes?

Andy74
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think many people disagree with this quite honestly but that really is not the problem that many of us have with this thread which you would be aware of if you could be bothered reading it through before posting! :wink:

I appreciate it is a long thread but for me the thread never was about which of the two is the best keeper or who should have the gloves right now! :confused: :agree:

You're right, what this thread seems to be about is some drama queens over reacting to a few people on the match thread who suggested Maka had a couple of moments that he could have dealt with better.

In doing so it has made sure this has been dragged out, gotten a bit ugly and brought even more attention on Maka including some of the previous mistakes he has made.

If that was the intention then job done!

BEEJ
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
You're right, what this thread seems to be about is some drama queens over reacting to a few people on the match thread who suggested Maka had a couple of moments that he could have dealt with better.

In doing so it has made sure this has been dragged out, gotten a bit ugly and brought even more attention on Maka including some of the previous mistakes he has made.

:top marks

Tollhouse Hibee
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Maka is Maka. He scares me and i don't think fills any of the back 4 with confidence. We definitely sat a lot deeper in the second half.

I just don't see what some people see in him.

Mind you i like big Colin Nish - and there are plenty here that don't.

all down to personal preference and taste i guess!

would be boring if we were all the same!

TornadoHibby
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Eloquent as always Andy even if under-playing the point which is to be expected I guess! :greengrin

The bit in bold is, however, a gross under-statement of what was posted, only latterly when alternative views came onto the thread did comments get toned down and now you'd think that nothing has actually happened other than some "drama queens", as you so quaintly put it, have got themseleves just a tad excited over, apparently, next to nothing actually! :cool2:

Well, just for the record and, before I sign out of this particular thread, the gross over-reaction of some of you "highly learned" football pundits to a couple of things that happen virtually every time football is there to be watched, irrespective of the actual "pedigree" or "quality" of those taking part, was breathtaking for this drama queen at least! :agree:

I take some solace in that perhaps at least one of my comments may have persuaded the tone of the thread to become less unpleasant than it was when I first looked at it on Saturday evening and subsequently when I agreed 100% with the OP, and still do! :cool2:

Thank goodness I'm not perfect like some of you guys think you are! :wink:

Hibs Spain
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
:confused: Are you telling me Maka should have done better, or was that another one of his deliberate mistakes?He should have done better. I was disappointed with that one. You're flogging the Aberdeen thing to death. Was the penalty save in that game the best you've seen? Or by far the best?:greengrin

lEXO
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I thought Maka done well when he came on.A good save from the Falkirk player and his dribble round the player did,nt cause any harm, so i dont see what the problem is.I said this before, i will support both of our keepers.They are not as bad as some would have us beleive.

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
He should have done better. I was disappointed with that one. You're flogging the Aberdeen thing to death. Was the penalty save in that game the best you've seen? Or by far the best?:greengrin

I'm flogging nothing, you are the one who has mentioned aberdeen, i have not mentioned them at all.:confused:

wee 162
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
He should have done better. I was disappointed with that one. You're flogging the Aberdeen thing to death. Was the penalty save in that game the best you've seen? Or by far the best?:greengrin

Thing is though that that penalty save is barely remembered. And neither will his very good save on Saturday because it will be drowned in "he almost cost us three goals" nonsense.

Which is the way it's been with him from about his second game.

Hibs Spain
01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm flogging nothing, you are the one who has mentioned aberdeen, i have not mentioned them at all.:confused:Oh,I think you have :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Oh,I think you have :wink:

Ok once, hardly flogging it to death. Its not like you to exaggerate eh.:faf:

Billy McKirdy
02-12-2009, 12:04 AM
He's given more stick than he deserves imo I think everybody should just lay off him & get right behind him, Reading his interview in the EN tonight, I have the impression he is mightily pissed off at being dropped after what was a decent pre-season & I cant blame him to be honest, The guy is still young but he is still cursed by his mistakes instead of being praised for what he has done that is good, Im a big fan of Maka & I feel that we are blessed by two very good keepers as I feel that Stack is also a quality player too. Lets get behind our keepers full stop, both of them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibs Spain
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Thing is though that that penalty save is barely remembered. And neither will his very good save on Saturday because it will be drowned in "he almost cost us three goals" nonsense.

Which is the way it's been with him from about his second game.Maka's interview in today's Sun reflects about exactly how I feel for him on his behalf really.Very disappointing that Yogi hasn't given him an explanation.If that's true then it's pretty poor form!

BEEJ
02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Maka's interview in today's Sun reflects about exactly how I feel for him on his behalf really.Very disappointing that Yogi hasn't given him an explanation.If that's true then it's pretty poor form!
Evidently Yogi is a racist. :greengrin

But then we all are apparently, through cultural conditioning. It's only the more enlightened among us that can see this, allegedly.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Maka's interview in today's Sun reflects about exactly how I feel for him on his behalf really.Very disappointing that Yogi hasn't given him an explanation.If that's true then it's pretty poor form!

Explanation for what?

down the slope
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Is "Hibs Spain" Maka's agent ?.

Hibs Spain
02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Explanation for what?Dropping him.

--------
02-12-2009, 02:40 PM
A thread more than 350 posts long in which some folks are slagging one of our senior keepers and others are slagging the other of our senior keepers, both of whom played on Saturday, and neither of whom conceded a goal in the time they were on the pitch.

If this goes on much longer, there won't be a single indiviual left at the club who doesn't bear some responsibility for the perceived faults of EITHER Maka OR Stack OR both.

Is it RP's fault? Yogi's? Scott Thomson's? The guy on the Tannoy? Or that guy who sits in seat 32 of Row BB in the north end of the West Stand? (I've NEVER liked the look of that bloke....) Doi wer actually have a problem so major as to justify this sort of argy-bargy?

The way I see it we have two senior keeper neither of whom is inadequate to the task of keeping gola for Hibs in the SPL. Each has his own strengths, each has his own weaknesses; neither is, IMO, "not Hibs class". We're infinitely better off for keepers riught now than we were when St Tone had us alternating Simon Brown and Zibby.

We won the freakin game, without conceding. We have an exceeding awkward game against Motherwel coming up THI Saturday.

Can we not give this a rest????????????? :rolleyes:

legends of 73
02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
My point was that he didn't do anything to merit being dropped in the first place.

your having a ****ing laff mate how many points has the clown cost us since he came to the club.

my heart was in my mouth on saturday when he came on and you could see the defence were not at ease with him behind them

wee 162
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
your having a ****ing laff mate how many points has the clown cost us since he came to the club.

my heart was in my mouth on saturday when he came on and you could see the defence were not at ease with him behind them

How many points has he cost us?

And two sides of the coin would be handy. So how many great saves has he made that have won us points, as well as the number of points dropped due to mistakes by him...

That's where I think the problem is from the supports attitude to keepers as a whole. We remember mistakes, we pay no attention to the good things keepers do. So every mistake means you're a bombscare. Every good thing is instantly forgotten in favour of whataboutism.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Dropping him.

Did he not pick up an injury and Stack got hold of the jersey then? If I'm right then I don't think Maka would need an explanation - it's pretty obvious what's happened.

And two sides of the coin would be handy. So how many great saves has he made that have won us points, as well as the number of points dropped due to mistakes by him...

You do the points he's won us and we'll do the points lost (or you could just refer to the examples listed in the last 10 pages).

HibbyAndy
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Spot on Charlie.

Makalamby is an utter liability!..i have no confidence him ATALL..the sooner he is binned the better.

This laid back attitudute he has does not bode well with me or the fans, and tuck your shirt in for **** sake!

Hibs Spain
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Did he not pick up an injury and Stack got hold of the jersey then? If I'm right then I don't think Maka would need an explanation - it's pretty obvious what's happened.

You do the points he's won us and we'll do the points lost (or you could just refer to the examples listed in the last 10 pages).Between fourteen and fifteen:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Must you be so antagonistic?

I'm not sure what your point is.

I know that Yogi said that he had an injured back before the game, but they thought/hoped it would ease off.

Should I disbelieve him?

I guess Yogi thought that an injured Stack posed less of a risk than a fully fit Makalamby.

ronaldo7
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Between fourteen and fifteen:thumbsup:

When did we start winning half points:confused:

Hibs Spain
02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
When did we start winning half points:confused:Sorry ..I was talking about how many pounds in weight I've lost since the last time I met DH...Tagged it on to the wrong thread

wee 162
02-12-2009, 07:13 PM
You do the points he's won us and we'll do the points lost (or you could just refer to the examples listed in the last 10 pages).

Okay. You first.

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
one of the worst two points he lost us, correction 5 points. i rememeber him losing us 5 points through his inability to set up a chuffing wall at a free kick. charlie adam scored at ER after about 2 mins(this may have been mcneil sorry if it was) but the 2 points i refer to is in a derby at er in 2008 i think it was. it was 1-1 and it was an aguiar free kick. i was sat in the west stand and said to my bro at the time theres a stinking big gap there to the bottom right corner(from our side) and thats where it bloody went...and im no goalkeeper

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Okay. You first.

Aberdeen at home - 2 points dropped
Aberdeen away - 3 points lost
Hearts away - 3 points lost

That's some to kick-off with. When the oints saved tally matches that we can get working on the next batch. Or you can just read the examples already listed in this thread. :rolleyes:

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM

That's some to kick-off with. When the oints saved tally matches that we can get working on the next batch. Or you can just read the examples already listed in this thread. :rolleyes:

spot on, anyone who tries to argue his case this way is going to lose, hes lost more than hes saved us...but then we never remember the points he saved do we, so much easier to remember the clangers, but thats why they sting so much,

wee 162
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
one of the worst two points he lost us, correction 5 points. i rememeber him losing us 5 points through his inability to set up a chuffing wall at a free kick. charlie adam scored at ER after about 2 mins(this may have been mcneil sorry if it was) but the 2 points i refer to is in a derby at er in 2008 i think it was. it was 1-1 and it was an aguiar free kick. i was sat in the west stand and said to my bro at the time theres a stinking big gap there to the bottom right corner(from our side) and thats where it bloody went...and im no goalkeeper

The Adam one was McNeil.

How many goals has he lost from free kicks overall? I can mind of that one, plus one v Gretna. On both those occasions he got criticised for the way he set up his wall. He's played 60 games for us. Should he have lost no free kicks in that time? Or does he maybe set up a wall that works pretty well for the most part, but has failed a couple of times?

BTW can't mind if it was Shiels or Hogg but one of them jumped over that Aguiar free kick iirc. Keeper has to take some blame, but on that occasion at least not all of it.

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
The Adam one was McNeil.

How many goals has he lost from free kicks overall? I can mind of that one, plus one v Gretna. On both those occasions he got criticised for the way he set up his wall. He's played 60 games for us. Should he have lost no free kicks in that time? Or does he maybe set up a wall that works pretty well for the most part, but has failed a couple of times?

BTW can't mind if it was Shiels or Hogg but one of them jumped over that Aguiar free kick iirc. Keeper has to take some blame, but on that occasion at least not all of it.

fair point, though it might have been mcneil. even if hogg did jump there was a stinking smelly big gap straight through to the corner. moments last season whenever opposition teams had free kicks i constantly found myself the leadership and setting up of the wall coming from maka. imo, at a free kick, the keeper should be yelling until he is happy. i have to admit of the top of my head i cant remember any other free kicks so youve got me there...anyone else help?

wee 162
02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Agreed.

So the keeper cost us three points in a game he saved a penalty in, that he had an unbelievable save from Miller (?) in, and that we lost 2-1?

Again. We never actually scored in that game so I'm not sure how that cost 3 points rather than 1.

That was the only goal he's ever conceded at Tynecastle in 3 games there btw. And can you mind of where the corner they scored from came from? And a player got a free header 6 yards out completely unmarked.

Even taking my caveats away, or just disagreeing with them, you've came up with 5 points. Over 60 games.

I'm honestly interested in how many points people can come up with that he's cost us.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Agreed.

So the keeper cost us three points in a game he saved a penalty in, that he had an unbelievable save from Miller (?) in, and that we lost 2-1?

Again. We never actually scored in that game so I'm not sure how that cost 3 points rather than 1.

That was the only goal he's ever conceded at Tynecastle in 3 games there btw. And can you mind of where the corner they scored from came from? And a player got a free header 6 yards out completely unmarked.

Even taking my caveats away, or just disagreeing with them, you've came up with 5 points. Over 60 games.

I'm honestly interested in how many points people can come up with that he's cost us.

You make a couple of fair points about my calculations (done quickly while I'm trying to save my Tesco.com delivery slot :greengrin). BTW I tried to defend the Velicks header at 1st, then I saw sense.

Even if we agree at the 5 points you've still to match 5 points he's saved us.

millarco
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Well we could start with the points on Saturday; fantastic save at 1-0 when they were in the ascendency. Throw in a couple of clean-sheets at Tynecastle and some cracking performances against the OF at ER and the points are starting to add up. It's a daft thing to do though as it's hardly an exact science-would another keeper have done the same/better, has it changed the flow of the game, would we have scored anyway etc.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Well we could start with the points on Saturday; fantastic save at 1-0 when they were in the ascendency. Throw in a couple of clean-sheets at Tynecastle and some cracking performances against the OF at ER and the points are starting to add up. It's a daft thing to do though as it's hardly an exact science-would another keeper have done the same/better, has it changed the flow of the game, would we have scored anyway etc.

You're right about that.

A save in a game we won 2-0 wouldn't have saved us any points. :wink:

millarco
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
You're right about that.

A save in a game we won 2-0 wouldn't have saved us any points. :wink:

Sorry, I thought we must have conceded when he tried to round Bullen...

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry, I thought we must have conceded when he tried to round Bullen...

:tee hee:

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
was about to say aye, how many times have our players saved him from dropping us points a la nish at falkirik last season and spoony and benji against st mirren first game this season

millarco
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
was about to say aye, how many times have our players saved him from dropping us points a la nish at falkirik last season and spoony and benji against st mirren first game this season

Then how many points over Maka's 60 games have the strikers cost us with terrible finishing, or midfielders failing to control the game? I'd imagine the likes of Riordan, Fletcher and Nish missed far more chances each last season which would have won us points, than Maka cost us with his mistakes. Goalkeeping mistakes generally directly cost us, a missed sitter isn't as obvious.

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Then how many points over Maka's 60 games have the strikers cost us with terrible finishing, or midfielders failing to control the game? I'd imagine the likes of Riordan, Fletcher and Nish missed far more chances each last season which would have won us points, than Maka cost us with his mistakes. Goalkeeping mistakes generally directly cost us, a missed sitter isn't as obvious.

very very true. must admit i am just fuelling the fire in the debate here. it could go on all night long...its all opinion and with hibs playing well and winning i say keep stack in...end of.

millarco
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
very very true. must admit i am just fuelling the fire in the debate here. it could go on all night long...its all opinion and with hibs playing well and winning i say keep stack in...end of.

Devil's advocate Shtuggie, you and Dave should give the big man a break sometime! I'm happy enough with Stack in the goal, but it doesn't help anyone when the fans are on Maka's back whenever he does something that might have gone wrong. I'd be happy enough with another dodgy performance on Saturday if we keep another clean sheet and another 3 points.

hibee-shtuggie
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Devil's advocate Shtuggie, you and Dave should give the big man a break sometime! I'm happy enough with Stack in the goal, but it doesn't help anyone when the fans are on Maka's back whenever he does something that might have gone wrong. I'd be happy enough with another dodgy performance on Saturday if we keep another clean sheet and another 3 points.

yeah negativity doesn't help anyone and the three points are the most imortant thing come the end of the game, however many times hes had my heart in my mouth. but yeah stacky in for saturday providing hes ok and another three points please! ggtth

wee 162
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
You make a couple of fair points about my calculations (done quickly while I'm trying to save my Tesco.com delivery slot :greengrin). BTW I tried to defend the Velicks header at 1st, then I saw sense.

Even if we agree at the 5 points you've still to match 5 points he's saved us.

Top of my head. Save at Tynecastle in the 1-0 win there last season from Driver (not to mention his assist for the goal :greengrin). +2 points.

Excellent performance overall v Celtic in the 0-0 draw at ER last season. Couple of decent saves, but between him and Jones they took every cross (and there were about 8 million of them). +1 point.

Save he made at Hamilton last season from McArthur (I think?) that he tipped round the post in Riordans re-debut. +2 points.

Hibs Spain
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I thought we must have conceded when he tried to round Bullen...It was a poor attempt at trying..:greengrin

lEXO
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
This has turned into a petty points scoring against some people at the expense of our keepers.In my opinion they are both as good as each other, and for Hibs supporters to be calling either of them a clown etc is well out of order.Slagging off one of them to back up your support of the other is petty as ******.Hibs Spain is an arse as i,ve said before, but he is feeding off the random digs at Maka to back up his blinkered views on Stack.Bollocks to all of you who are slagging our keepers, they and the team deserve better.:devil:

HFC 0-7
03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
This has turned into a petty points scoring against some people at the expense of our keepers.In my opinion they are both as good as each other, and for Hibs supporters to be calling either of them a clown etc is well out of order.Slagging off one of them to back up your support of the other is petty as ******.Hibs Spain is an arse as i,ve said before, but he is feeding off the random digs at Maka to back up his blinkered views on Stack.Bollocks to all of you who are slagging our keepers, they and the team deserve better.:devil:

Like we remember the clangers that Maka has made more than the saves, you are doing the same with remembering the posts on here. There are a lot of posts on here that are not tearing into either keeper, just picking out weaknesses.

IMO Maka, is a good keeper but seems to have a massive problem with concentration. Maka may indeed have more ability than Stack, however, he is prone to the mistakes. Not all mistakes result in goals, but they do feed the opposition confidence and drain it from our team. When it comes to keepers, consistency is key. Stack is consistent, Maka isnt. I would rather lose a goal to a half decent strike that an excellent keeper would save rather than lose a goal by giving it away by the means of a howler of a mistake.

hibee-shtuggie
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM

yeah there are a few people being overly harsh and i do agree with you up to a point. but i hate this "im a better supporter because i never crticise anyone in a hibs top". surely the biggest part of being a supporter is wanting the best for your team and if you feel one of your players has had a stinker then you voice your opinion about it, we all pay our money after all. on the other hand if someone has played well then you should certainly say they have a had a cracker too. i think if you read through most people agree that maka has put in some good performances in a hibs top and we thank him for that, but he has also turned in a few stinkers...oh and yes hibs spain is an arse :wink:

lEXO
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Like we remember the clangers that Maka has made more than the saves, you are doing the same with remembering the posts on here. There are a lot of posts on here that are not tearing into either keeper, just picking out weaknesses.

IMO Maka, is a good keeper but seems to have a massive problem with concentration. Maka may indeed have more ability than Stack, however, he is prone to the mistakes. Not all mistakes result in goals, but they do feed the opposition confidence and drain it from our team. When it comes to keepers, consistency is key. Stack is consistent, Maka isnt. I would rather lose a goal to a half decent strike that an excellent keeper would save rather than lose a goal by giving it away by the means of a howler of a mistake.
And there are several posts that are just an excuse to have a go at either.Those are the posts i,m on about.Wether you are a Maka fan or Stack fan to call the other a clown etc to back up your view is petty and wrong.This debate has gone on since the start of the season,and given that we are second top of the league,unbeaten in nine, and both keepers kept a clean sheet on saturday, why is this still going on?We should be counting ourselves lucky that we have two experienced keepers that we can call on when needed,instead of slating one or the other.

lEXO
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah there are a few people being overly harsh and i do agree with you up to a point. but i hate this "im a better supporter because i never crticise anyone in a hibs top". surely the biggest part of being a supporter is wanting the best for your team and if you feel one of your players has had a stinker then you voice your opinion about it, we all pay our money after all. on the other hand if someone has played well then you should certainly say they have a had a cracker too. i think if you read through most people agree that maka has put in some good performances in a hibs top and we thank him for that, but he has also turned in a few stinkers...oh and yes hibs spain is an arse :wink:
Where did i say that i was a better Hibs supporter because i never criticise our players?I,m quite happy to voice my opinion if somebody is crap.But given that both keepers kept a clean sheet on saturday, SOME of the comments against either is over the top.Is it ok to slag one or the other, but not ok to come on and defend both without being accused of classing myself as an better supporter? If thats the case, well it,s nonsense dont you think?

Hibbyradge
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
And there are several posts that are just an excuse to have a go at either.Those are the posts i,m on about.Wether you are a Maka fan or Stack fan to call the other a clown etc to back up your view is petty and wrong.This debate has gone on since the start of the season,and given that we are second top of the league,unbeaten in nine, and both keepers kept a clean sheet on saturday, why is this still going on?We should be counting ourselves lucky that we have two experienced keepers that we can call on when needed,instead of slating one or the other.

There haven't been many posts which are out of order, imo and I don't think many folk are just slating Maka for the sake of it.

People are mainly saying that the way Maka plays doesn't fill them with confidence and have given some examples of why this is the case.

This isn't a choice. Thay can't just suddenly decide that Maka is solid and dependable if that's not what they think.

Only Maka can change what folk think and I desparately hope he does.

Some folk think maka is the best keeper at ER, some think Stack is and some think they're both the same.

That's healthy, but it's also why we're having a debate.

legends of 73
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM

That's where I think the problem is from the supports attitude to keepers as a whole. We remember mistakes, we pay no attention to the good things keepers do. So every mistake means you're a bombscare. Every good thing is instantly forgotten in favour of whataboutism.

a lot more than he has won us thats for sure

i rememeber the good saves that he's made and to let you into a wee secret i don't think he's a bad keeper just not hibs class!!!!!!!!

hibee-shtuggie
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Where did i say that i was a better Hibs supporter because i never criticise our players?I,m quite happy to voice my opinion if somebody is crap.But given that both keepers kept a clean sheet on saturday, SOME of the comments against either is over the top.Is it ok to slag one or the other, but not ok to come on and defend both without being accused of classing myself as an better supporter? If thats the case, well it,s nonsense dont you think?

i KNOW he kept a clean sheet on saturday but ir you had indeed read the posts you are trying to cticise you would see that they refer to other games. it is understandable for people to have premonitions about maka due to his past antics, that is the argument here.

sleeping giant
03-12-2009, 01:30 PM

i rememeber the good saves that he's made and to let you into a wee secret i don't think he's a bad keeper just not hibs class!!!!!!!!

WTF:grr:

I thought someone had hijacked my account:grr:

sleeping giant
03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Its like turning up at a party to find someone dressed the same:grr:

Shall i change mine......?

legends of 73
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Its like turning up at a party to find someone dressed the same:grr:

Shall i change mine......?

naw lets confuse folk i'll change mines later today lol:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Nae bother :greengrin

Saltire2K created that:agree:

legends of 73
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM

best hibs strip ever imho

lEXO
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
i KNOW he kept a clean sheet on saturday but ir you had indeed read the posts you are trying to cticise you would see that they refer to other games. it is understandable for people to have premonitions about maka due to his past antics, that is the argument here.
But he did,nt do anything wrong on saturday.Neither of them did.Criticise him for mistakes that he makes in a current match, not in the past.You did,nt answer the question of wether it,s ok to come on and back them both, but if i do it somehow makes me think i,m a better fan allegedly.

Hibbyradge
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
But he did,nt do anything wrong on saturday.

I disagree.

He didn't lose a goal, but he did things he shouldn't have.

With a player bearing down on you, a keeper should clear the ball.

I don't care who the keeper is, when they beat the strikr, I always shake my head. There is so little to be gained from that, and so much to lose. That's wrong.

He didn't come for a through ball which he was clearly favourite for, and as a result, we lost a corner. That's wrong.

I like the big felly, but I'd like him more if he didn't take so many chances.

Once he gets rid of that tendency, he will move up a level, imo.

ancient hibee
03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
It wasn't a corner it was a by kick and Bullen got booked.

--------
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I disagree.

I don't care who the keeper is, when they beat the strikr, I always shake my head. There is so little to be gained from that, and so much to lose. That's wrong.

He didn't come for a through ball which he was clearly favourite for, and as a result, we lost a corner. That's wrong.

THIS I can agree with. :agree:

But I like the big guy and I DON'T agree witht he personal stuff directed at him by some.

Hibs Spain
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I disagree.

Once he gets rid of that tendency, he will move up a level, imo. We didn't lose a corner. We gained a goal kick.And you don't just clear things for a goal kick when a forward is bearing down on you?!!?

hibee-shtuggie
04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
But he did,nt do anything wrong on saturday.Neither of them did.Criticise him for mistakes that he makes in a current match, not in the past.You did,nt answer the question of wether it,s ok to come on and back them both, but if i do it somehow makes me think i,m a better fan allegedly.

he bleedin well tried to do something wrong on saturday though didnt he. dancing about at the end of the box with bullen. i think it is ok to come on and back them both, i just cant understand how you would want maka, hes not hibs class...however many performances hes turned in hes a bottle merchant and has poor concentration and decision making ability. to back him alone does not make him into something hes not...

lucky
04-12-2009, 11:10 AM
For me Makka has ability to be a top class keeper however his concentration is that of five year old. As such he prone to making mistakes. Stack is a steady keeper nothing fancy. Makka makes a great save then the next moment he makes a goal costing error. As such he everyone has their heart in their mouths when the ball is played back to him.

Andy74
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
he bleedin well tried to do something wrong on saturday though didnt he. dancing about at the end of the box with bullen. i think it is ok to come on and back them both, i just cant understand how you would want maka, hes not hibs class...however many performances hes turned in hes a bottle merchant and has poor concentration and decision making ability. to back him alone does not make him into something hes not...

Agreed, but this simple message has been delivered a hundred times in this thread without it registering!

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 01:13 PM
he bleedin well tried to do something wrong on saturday though didnt he. dancing about at the end of the box with bullen. i think it is ok to come on and back them both, i just cant understand how you would want maka, hes not hibs class...however many performances hes turned in hes a bottle merchant and has poor concentration and decision making ability. to back him alone does not make him into something hes not...If the ball that Stack blootered against the Celtic player during the game at ER had gone in instead of six inches past the post and the fairly basic gather that bounced off his chest resulting in a penalty not given...If a penalty had been given...I don't think you would have thought anything but ..Good solid goalie that Stack..These breaks go against you sometimes..

Andy74
04-12-2009, 01:20 PM
If the ball that Stack blootered against the Celtic player during the game at ER had gone in instead of six inches past the post and the fairly basic gather that bounced off his chest resulting in a penalty not given...If a penalty had been given...I don't think you would have thought anything but ..Good solid goalie that Stack..These breaks go against you sometimes..

Yep, breaks sometimes do against you and keepers all make mistakes and have slips but inviting the trouble on to yourself by taking chances or maiking the wrong judgements time and again, that's altogether different. You don't do it because the downside risk is too great. Getting away with it is not a defence.

It's this wee point you're not quite getting.

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep, breaks sometimes do against you and keepers all make mistakes and have slips but inviting the trouble on to yourself by taking chances or maiking the wrong judgements time and again, that's altogether different. You don't do it because the downside risk is too great. Getting away with it is not a defence.

It's this wee point you're not quite getting.You're blinkered view and opinion of Maka is remarkable.You wouldn't consider a goalie staying on his line when the ball's "his" to be wrong judgment?

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Maka keeps me on the edge of my seat all game.......terrified

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
And for my 1000th post

--------
04-12-2009, 02:06 PM
And for my 1000th post

Congratulations.

And your opinion on the respective merits/demerits of our goalkeepers is? :cool2:

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Congratulations.

And your opinion on the respective merits/demerits of our goalkeepers is? :cool2:

My opinion is that's he's a bombscare who I have no confidence in and will happily see him move on when his contract expires. I'd just managed to grow my fingernails back and then hey presto they were gone in 45 minutes last Saturday.

Baw187
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
FWIW - I don't think the incident where he sidestepped the player instead of clearing the ball was all that bad. It looks bad and at the time, had me keeking my drawers, however, the replay shows that the Falkirk player had committed himself and probably would have blocked the clearence. Maka was obviously confident enough knowing the player was committed to take it to the side out of his way.

If he'd tried to clear it and been blocked, we'd have been going wild.

wee 162
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
FWIW - I don't think the incident where he sidestepped the player instead of clearing the ball was all that bad. It looks bad and at the time, had me keeking my drawers, however, the replay shows that the Falkirk player had committed himself and probably would have blocked the clearence. Maka was obviously confident enough knowing the player was committed to take it to the side out of his way.

If he'd tried to clear it and been blocked, we'd have been going wild.

Whatever he does he gets criticism. His best bet would be leaving.

The micro analysis that goes into all our keepers performances is absolutely ridicilous. It started when Andersson left and it hasn't stopped (even with Stack).

MaKalambay came in after McNeil. McNeil had an excellent start to his career at Hibs. He was making great saves and was looking solid. Did that inspire confidence in the fans? No. As soon as he made a mistake, the fans were completely on his back, his confidence went completely and he's now, at the age of 22 and with a medal he played an important part in getting in his pocket, playing for a junior side. It was the treatment of him in particular by the "support" which led someone I know to say that their son (promising keeper, Hibs daft) would never ever be encouraged by them to play for us. And I don't blame them one iota.

People seemed to enjoy doing that so much that they picked up the baton when MaKalambay came in. I don't think anyone would deny he's made mistakes. But the continual focus on the bad things he's done and completely ignoring anything good has been almost non stop on the messageboards.

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
That's kind of the way I see it.And is that such a bad thing?

Green Mikey
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Don't get the cnmparison. Maka is prone to making terrible errors on a regular basis whereas IMO Bamba is looking pretty solid and assured this year.

Andy74
04-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Are you not best leaving it? If you don't want people slagging him off then stop dragging this out??

Woody1985
04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
What a load of pish.

Slating one of our best players whilst having a dig at another in one sentence. GTF.

Andy74
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
You're blinkered view and opinion of Maka is remarkable.You wouldn't consider a goalie staying on his line when the ball's "his" to be wrong judgment?

If you want to have a look back you will see I've been a very strong supporter of his right up until now but he showed in 45 mins he's not learning his lessons.

And yes, I consider a keeper staying on his line as a fault and it is Stack's big weakness. We've probably lost a couple of goals due to it and i've sadi so. Overall he's been steadier though.

If you weren't such an idiot about this with lines like that you may have your points given a bit more consideration.

Do you think becasue I'm criticising Maka (slightly) that I love Stack? Strange world you live in.

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 03:32 PM
What a load of pish.

Slating one of our best players whilst having a dig at another in one sentence. GTF.I think they're both brilliant.Both extremely athletic unconventional and virtually irreplaceable.Bamba slipped up on one ocassion on Saturday and Maka bailed him out with one of the saves of the season.:cool2:

Andy74
04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
There are people who keep complaining that he is constantly being picked on and the focus is always on the negatives.

For me, the biggest focus this last week has been those who have gone overboard in the defence to the point that this has been dragged on far beyond the wee bit criticism there was of how he dealt with a couple of things last week.

He also got a lot of praise for the great save.

Why keep adding threads to it - it will just get worse!

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I think that Bamba had a decent game last weekend. I do worry out him, when he is not goal side of the ball though, but during the Falkirk game, we did not show much intent or desire to tackle and win the ball so some of his rash decisions may have been out of a sense of frustration. On Saturday past, if we had a similar player covering for him at the back as he was charging forward it could have been much easier for us.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
If you want to have a look back you will see I've been a very strong supporter of his right up until now but he showed in 45 mins he's not learning his lessons.

And yes, I consider a keeper staying on his line as a fault and it is Stack's big weakness. We've probably lost a couple of goals due to it and i've sadi so. Overall he's been steadier though.

If you weren't such an idiot about this with lines like that you may have your points given a bit more consideration.

Do you think becasue I'm criticising Maka (slightly) that I love Stack? Strange world you live in.

I also agree a keeper who never leaves his line is a fault, although Stack does come off his line when necessary, and i cant put any of the goals he's lost down to staying on his line?:confused:

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I also agree a keeper who never leaves his line is a fault, although Stack does come off his line when necessary, and i cant put any of the goals he's lost down to staying on his line?:confused:That's by luck rather than judgment.Unfortunately it'll happen..Just hope it won't cost us dropped points.I'm not saying Stack's a bad keeper but he is what he is ..A lower division journeyman ..And if we're being totally candid he didn't get a regular game for any of them.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2009, 04:37 PM
That's by luck rather than judgment.Unfortunately it'll happen..Just hope it won't cost us dropped points.I'm not saying Stack's a bad keeper but he is what he is ..A lower division journeyman ..And if we're being totally candid he didn't get a regular game for any of them.

Oh yes you have, many many times.:confused:

EskbankHibby
04-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone know how long Makalambay has to go on his contract?

Hibs Spain
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh yes you have, many many times.:confused:I don't think I have.Might have pointed out flaws in his game but never said he was a bad keeper.I've just said how I rate him..Thousands of keepers worse than him.

Baw187
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I also agree a keeper who never leaves his line is a fault, although Stack does come off his line when necessary, and i cant put any of the goals he's lost down to staying on his line?:confused:

Motherwell's at Fir Park is what I think Andy's eluding too. I'm sure he was culpable agaist St Johnstone in the cup on a couple of occasions, but cannae recall the goals so cannae say if we lost a goal as a result of it.

Could he have come out against Celtic for their goal?? Possibly.

I think it was something I noticed about Stack when he first started playing but I think he's got better. Has had a couple of good punches since... one at St Mirren I definitly recall.

hibee-shtuggie
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM
You're blinkered view and opinion of Maka is remarkable.You wouldn't consider a goalie staying on his line when the ball's "his" to be wrong judgment?

:faf:

down the slope
04-12-2009, 09:28 PM
What do you think of Hibspain's constant support for a goalkeeper who two managers have demoted because of his his displays ?, it seems to border on the obsessive to the point where you might think he has an other agenda on the go here. I will leave it up you all to work that one out.

hibee-shtuggie
04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
What do you think of Hibspain's constant support for a goalkeeper who two managers have demoted because of his his displays ?, it seems to border on the obsessive to the point where you might think he has an other agenda on the go here. I will leave it up you all to work that one out.

hes a wind up merchant...but hes actually quite good for a laugh.

Hibs90
04-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Stack's a good keeper but he is old so won't improve much where as Maka is also a good keeper but is young and has many years ahead of him.

Maka :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Stack's a good keeper but he is old so won't improve much where as Maka is also a good keeper but is young and has many years ahead of him.

Maka :agree:

Stack's only 28 FFS!

silverhibee
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
If it helps i have heard Stack will start the game tomorrow.

Saorsa
04-12-2009, 10:09 PM
If it helps i have heard Stack will start the game tomorrow.It helps, hope you're right :pray:

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Motherwell's at Fir Park is what I think Andy's eluding too. I'm sure he was culpable agaist St Johnstone in the cup on a couple of occasions, but cannae recall the goals so cannae say if we lost a goal as a result of it.

Could he have come out against Celtic for their goal?? Possibly.

I think it was something I noticed about Stack when he first started playing but I think he's got better. Has had a couple of good punches since... one at St Mirren I definitly recall.

Aye Motherwell, i'd forgotten about that, yes i'd lay the blame at stack for that one. I was not at the St Johnstone cup game, so cant comment on that one, although i have seen it on interactive and cant say any of the goals were down to goalkeeping mistakes. Stack does come off his line, his punching has improved, and he also came off his line and headed clear too. No way imho could he have came out for the celtic goal.

Baw187
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Aye Motherwell, i'd forgotten about that, yes i'd lay the blame at stack for that one. I was not at the St Johnstone cup game, so cant comment on that one, although i have seen it on interactive and cant say any of the goals were down to goalkeeping mistakes. Stack does come off his line, his punching has improved, and he also came off his line and headed clear too. No way imho could he have came out for the celtic goal.

In fairness, Motherwell was the only goal I can defo think of that he was to blame for, but I recall mentioning that he didn't like coming off his line from previous games. Even though we didn't lose goals, there were some free headers going on and I believed that would cost us. Andy and I were talking about this at the Motherwell game and when the goal went it, it kind of backed up our concerns at that time.

As I said though, I think he's got better with games and I don't think I've seen much concern with him coming off his line since.

degenerated
04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
If it helps i have heard Stack will start the game tomorrow.

good news :agree:

greenlex
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM

A Giant Sleeping Beer Monster!!!!!!!! :worried:

marinello59
04-12-2009, 11:00 PM
A Giant Sleeping Beer Monster!!!!!!!! :worried:

It's fine while it is sleeping.:agree: When it wakes up though.............
:panic:

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2009, 11:07 PM
In fairness, Motherwell was the only goal I can defo think of that he was to blame for, but I recall mentioning that he didn't like coming off his line from previous games. Even though we didn't lose goals, there were some free headers going on and I believed that would cost us. Andy and I were talking about this at the Motherwell game and when the goal went it, it kind of backed up our concerns at that time.

As I said though, I think he's got better with games and I don't think I've seen much concern with him coming off his line since.

:agree::top marks

lEXO
04-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I disagree.

If,s and buts. Did it cost us? No it did,nt.Neither has Stack either, that is my point.We are lucky to have two good keepers.At the top of the league, which we are the three best teams have two good keepers and the best squads.Some of us realise that , and are aware that they might not be the best, but they are the best of the rest.No if,s or buts.

lEXO
05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I disagree.

Well stop moaning about what you thought he might have did, and savour he kept a clean sheet whilst being all over the place.Stack as well, two good keepers who are better than most think.

lEXO
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
And to criticise him doesn,t make him something he is not either. you can view it from whatever view you like.Maka,Hogg,Nish,Stokes Etc.Are they ****?No way. Under perform now and again.Yes of course they do.If they did,nt they would,nt be playing for a scottish team.Do we want perfection? YES.Will we get it? Sometimes. That apart, what we get is guys doing their best, and getting it wrong now and again.That is part of watching our team, and this has happened throughout our history.you may want to reflect on this, i dont and view the next game as the important one.This may sound blinkered to some, but whats past is past.And did i say i want Maka?I prefer Stack, but does that say that Maka does,nt deserve some support? You still havent answered the question of my being a so called better supporter than you.If my defence of a player in your mind makes me this, at least try and justify your views on saying this without slagging Maka to back up your views.I,m looking forward to this, because so far you have given nothing.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Well stop moaning about what you thought he might have did, and savour he kept a clean sheet whilst being all over the place.Stack as well, two good keepers who are better than most think.

I'm happy the defence kept a clean sheet and I'm impressed with Maka's save.

I just wish Maka hadn't "been all over the place".

Isn't that a fair position?

If,s and buts. Did it cost us? No it did,nt.Neither has Stack either, that is my point.We are lucky to have two good keepers.At the top of the league, which we are the three best teams have two good keepers and the best squads.Some of us realise that , and are aware that they might not be the best, but they are the best of the rest.No if,s or buts.

I'm not moaning about anything. Im joining in a messageboard discussion.

What I have consistantly been saying is that if Maka would stop taking chances and cut out the lapses in concentration, he'd become a fine keeper.

He's a fine shot stopper and he has good presence in the box, but he hasn't yet established himself as consistantly solid, dependable and reliable.

At the moment, when the ball comes to him in open play, I hope he does the right thing and I'm relieved when he does.

Rightly or wrongly, I take it for granted that Graham Stack will make the right decisions.

You and Hibs Spain can tell me all you want that I'm wrong to feel like that, but I don't have 100% confidence in Maka yet.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
And to criticise him doesn,t make him something he is not either. you can view it from whatever view you like.Maka,Hogg,Nish,Stokes Etc.Are they ****?No way. Under perform now and again.Yes of course they do.If they did,nt they would,nt be playing for a scottish team.Do we want perfection? YES.Will we get it? Sometimes. That apart, what we get is guys doing their best, and getting it wrong now and again.That is part of watching our team, and this has happened throughout our history.you may want to reflect on this, i dont and view the next game as the important one.This may sound blinkered to some, but whats past is past.And did i say i want Maka?I prefer Stack, but does that say that Maka does,nt deserve some support? You still havent answered the question of my being a so called better supporter than you.If my defence of a player in your mind makes me this, at least try and justify your views on saying this without slagging Maka to back up your views.I,m looking forward to this, because so far you have given nothing.

I agree.

erskine-hibby
05-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm happy the defence kept a clean sheet and I'm impressed with Maka's save.

I just wish Maka hadn't "been all over the place".

Isn't that a fair position?

I'm not moaning about anything. Im joining in a messageboard discussion.

What I have consistantly been saying is that if Maka would stop taking chances and cut out the lapses in concentration, he'd become a fine keeper.

He's a fine shot stopper and he has good presence in the box, but he hasn't yet established himself as consistantly solid, dependable and reliable.

At the moment, when the ball comes to him in open play, I hope he does the right thing and I'm relieved when he does.

Rightly or wrongly, I take it for granted that Graham Stack will make the right decisions.

You and Hibs Spain can tell me all you want that I'm wrong to feel like that, but I don't have 100% confidence in Maka yet.

And that is the difference between the two of them.:agree:
Yes, they both have faults...who doesn't??, but for the most part Stack is more reliable where as Maka is more liable.

HibbyAndy
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Why is it all the guys who are having a go at Maka for taking on Bullen, havent mentioned Bamba doing the exact same on the edge of our box, and just getting away with it by the skin of his teeth, alot less convincing than Makas, if Bamba had lost it, it would have been a cert for a goal, but i dont see it mentioned anywhere. The 2 of the guys got away with it, so move on. unless it was only me that seen it..:grr:

Didny ken this was you mate till a met you today:greengrin

You never used to be a woose...grow some baws for FFS Cha :thumbsup: