PDA

View Full Version : Tony Mowbray's start at Hibs

Harpandcastle
28-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Article on the BBC where Swiss Tony is explaing the discontent among the sellick support as the same as what happened at the start of his reign here. I remember the Intertoto exit but cant recall anyone thinking it was as bad as is gets, infact after the doom and gloom of Williamson's period in charge I thought the majority of us bought into Mowbray's ideas from the word go.

But Mowbray says he is experiencing the kind of settling-in period that he has gone through in the past.
"In my first few months at Hibernian, we'd gone out of the Intertoto Cup and the fans were saying it was the worst they'd seen," said Mowbray.

"But, a few years down the line, I think they're relatively happy. The team finished third in the league, qualified for Europe and made semi-finals of the cups.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8383434.stm

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Article on the BBC where Swiss Tony is explaing the discontent among the sellick support as the same as what happened at the start of his reign here. I remember the Intertoto exit but cant recall anyone thinking it was as bad as is gets, infact after the doom and gloom of Williamson's period in charge I thought the majority of us bought into Mowbray's ideas from the word go.

But Mowbray says he is experiencing the kind of settling-in period that he has gone through in the past.
"In my first few months at Hibernian, we'd gone out of the Intertoto Cup and the fans were saying it was the worst they'd seen," said Mowbray.

"But, a few years down the line, I think they're relatively happy. The team finished third in the league, qualified for Europe and made semi-finals of the cups.

Yes, that's correct. Tone trying to rewrite history to suit his own circumstances. We pretty much loved him from the start and only got miffed when he forgot about the 'unfinished business' and jumped ship to WBA.

bigwheel
28-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I not sure Mowbray is too far off the mark here. I went to Lithuania and remember it as one of the poorest performance I had ever witnessed by a Hibs side. Hugely dissapointing, fans were pretty scathing of the team that day...I also recall after the first game of the league...a poor draw if I recall (??), wondering if it was going to be worth going every week to watch that standard of play......a couple of months later I was loving it like the rest of us....a couple of wins can turn depression into excitment...it the hibs way! :-)

Nameless
28-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Mowbray is an egotistical liar, and he is being found out at the tims. Long may his footballing demise continue:bye:

col02
28-11-2009, 10:57 AM
The former pied piper of Hibernian appears to be coming undone I think! Long may Mr Unfinished Business suffer the scrutiny and pressure that comes with being boss at Celtic.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I not sure Mowbray is too far off the mark here. I went to Lithuania and remember it as one of the poorest performance I had ever witnessed by a Hibs side. Hugely dissapointing, fans were pretty scathing of the team that day...I also recall after the first game of the league...a poor draw if I recall (??), wondering if it was going to be worth going every week to watch that standard of play......a couple of months later I was loving it like the rest of us....a couple of wins can turn depression into excitment...it the hibs way! :-)

First game of the league season was a one nil home defeat to Kilmarnock, but I would disagree about it being a poor performance. I recall the passing and the thought put in to how to play the game was there and all we were missing was a bit of sharpness which we eventually got and then had a really fantastic season. The Inter-toto was a strange experience with that home game in the sunshine and biblical flood. The club had committed to the Intertoto before Mowbray was apppointed though and I don't remember anyone thinking it was anymore important than a pre-season warm up.

Broken Gnome
28-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Anyone who disagrees with him is talikng out their @rse to be honest, Some teething problems (Dundee 4-4) followed by plenty good to comparison to other seasons.

IWasThere2016
28-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Mowbray is an egotistical liar, and he is being found out at the tims. Long may his footballing demise continue:bye:

:agree:

bigwheel
28-11-2009, 11:14 AM
First game of the league season was a one nil home defeat to Kilmarnock, but I would disagree about it being a poor performance. I recall the passing and the thought put in to how to play the game was there and all we were missing was a bit of sharpness which we eventually got and then had a really fantastic season. The Inter-toto was a strange experience with that home game in the sunshine and biblical flood. The club had committed to the Intertoto before Mowbray was apppointed though and I don't remember anyone thinking it was anymore important than a pre-season warm up.

You could well be right. I just remember walking away really disappointed ... The intertoto was not taken too seriously, but the away performance was SO bad, that it gave us no sense that any progress was likely in the sort term. However, a few weeks later we could see the great passing game emerging that became a joy to watch.

I don't understand the tone of dislike sometimes on here towards Mowbray. In my view, he was our best manager since Tunrbull....

IWasThere2016
28-11-2009, 11:18 AM
You could well be right. I just remember walking away really disappointed ... The intertoto was not taken too seriously, but the away performance was SO bad, that it gave us no sense that any progress was likely in the sort term. However, a few weeks later we could see the great passing game emerging that became a joy to watch.

I don't understand the tone of dislike sometimes on here towards Mowbray. In my view, he was our best manager since Tunrbull....

He was good for Hibs - Hibs were good for him. But he is convenient with the truth, and has a selective memory. Nevermind the huddle at ER - has he done this elsewhere? And the refusal to watch that wee naff McGeady blatantly diving also. Personally, I'm glad he and Smellsick are struggling. Long may it continue IMHO.

oneone73
28-11-2009, 11:20 AM
He was good for Hibs - Hibs were good for him. But he is convenient with the truth, and has a selective memory. Nevermind the huddle at ER - has he done this elsewhere? And the refusal to watch that wee naff McGeady blatantly diving also. Personally, I'm glad he and Smellsick are struggling. Long may it continue IMHO.

:top marks

bigwheel
28-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Yes, there was a bit of the Phil Brown's about that.....He's clearly not on your christmas card list! :greengrin

The McGeady diving one, I have a different view on. No doubt some dives are blatant attyempt at cheating. But I think Mowbray is right to say that just because a player dives over an outstretched foot he shouldn't necessarily get booked. Momentum and protecting yourself during a football match can often lead to a player going down without being hit. I thought the Zemmama booking recently at ER was a prime example. He couldn't get out of the way, and had to dive to avoid the contact.

poolman
28-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Very strange thing for him to say in todays papers

Since the day I started at Hibs, I don't think I have ever enjoyed football management. It's a job. You focus on trying to produce a football team.

"I don't think it's a job to enjoy because you are in a results business and it is there for the whole world to see every weekend or every Tuesday night.

"You are either good or you're bad. That's the black and white of it, so I don't think you ever enjoy it.

"If you start enjoying it too much, you'll have a fall because no team wins every game.

If you dont enjoy it **** off and do something else then, stack shelves in Sainsburys or get a job in Greggs ya ungrateful git

Just Jimmy
28-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Agreed. I remember leaving that day not in the slightest bit worried about the season ahead. Killie had one shot, Boyd's deflected freekick. We played the best we had since McLeish left, I was optimistic and so was the majority of the support in my opinion.

More bollocks from bumbling Tony.

CapitalHibs
28-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Very strange thing for him to say in todays papers

Since the day I started at Hibs, I don't think I have ever enjoyed football management. It's a job. You focus on trying to produce a football team.

"I don't think it's a job to enjoy because you are in a results business and it is there for the whole world to see every weekend or every Tuesday night.

"You are either good or you're bad. That's the black and white of it, so I don't think you ever enjoy it.

"If you start enjoying it too much, you'll have a fall because no team wins every game.

If you dont enjoy it **** off and do something else then, stack shelves in Sainsburys or get a job in Greggs ya ungrateful git

:agree:

What a contrast to Yogi who says he has the best job in the world

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ginger_rice
28-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Mowbrays start at ER is now history, TBH I think he was a decent manager for us especially when you compare him to what had been before, and in the long run it probably was as well he left when he did as things were beginning to unravel a bit by then.

As for the present he's managing one of the infirm and they are struggling...so let's just sit back and enjoy. :greengrin

--------
28-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Agreed. I remember leaving that day not in the slightest bit worried about the season ahead. Killie had one shot, Boyd's deflected freekick. We played the best we had since McLeish left, I was optimistic and so was the majority of the support in my opinion.

More bollocks from bumbling Tony.

I was at the Leeds friendly - the first half it was clear we were moving in the right direction, in the second they started kicking and we didn't look so good.

I was annoyed at the result (lost 3-1 after scoring first just before h-t) but I didn't form the impression that the crowd were hostile to what he and the team were trying to achieve. Quite the contrary. We could see that the team was trying to pass the ball and play it on the park. Nor did I (once I had had time to think about it) feel anything but positive about the season. Most folks were aware that he had a limited squad to work with, and that things were going to be difficult that season.

IIRC the defeat at ER to Killie was a good performance (we were unlucky to lose) and we went to Fir Park the following week and won 2-1. We had a few ropey results, true, but once the stupid Festival Cup match was past we settled into a fairly good game and everyone was happy.

What I CAN remember is that very quickly after we DID settle into our game, the shed took to singing "Tony Mowbray's Green and White Army" - they haven't done anything like that for Collins or Mixu or Yogi....

The guy's either telling outright lies and knows it, or he's remodelling the past to convince himself it isn't going to go pear-shaped at Parkhead for him. Either way, he's being grossly unfair to the Hibs support.

Just Jimmy
28-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I was at the Leeds friendly - the first half it was clear we were moving in the right direction, in the second they started kicking and we didn't look so good.

I was annoyed at the result (lost 3-1 after scoring first just before h-t) but I didn't form the impression that the crowd were hostile to what he and the team were trying to achieve. Quite the contrary. We could see that the team was trying to pass the ball and play it on the park. Nor did I (once I had had time to think about it) feel anything but positive about the season. Most folks were aware that he had a limited squad to work with, and that things were going to be difficult that season.

IIRC the defeat at ER to Killie was a good performance (we were unlucky to lose) and we went to Fir Park the following week and won 2-1. We had a few ropey results, true, but once the stupid Festival Cup match was past we settled into a fairly good game and everyone was happy.

What I CAN remember is that very quickly after we DID settle into our game, the shed took to singing "Tony Mowbray's Green and White Army" - they haven't done anything like that for Collins or Mixu or Yogi....

The guy's either telling outright lies and knows it, or he's remodelling the past to convince himself it isn't going to go pear-shaped at Parkhead for him. Either way, he's being grossly unfair to the Hibs support.

But then, IMHO, he's never had much but contempt for the Hibs support. From his pish filled post match interviews to the fact he sat on his arse looking bored while Hearts pissed on us time and again, to his 'I have unfinished business' comments whilst boarding the plane to West Bromwich.

The man is at best a hypocrite, at worst he's deluded, self centred and a lier.

--------
28-11-2009, 04:34 PM
But then, IMHO, he's never had much but contempt for the Hibs support. From his pish filled post match interviews to the fact he sat on his arse looking bored while Hearts pissed on us time and again, to his 'I have unfinished business' comments whilst boarding the plane to West Bromwich.

The man is at best a hypocrite, at worst he's deluded, self centred and a lier.

You're gonna be in trouble when his worshippers read that..... :devil:

Just Jimmy
28-11-2009, 04:40 PM
You're gonna be in trouble when his worshippers read that..... :devil:

:devil:

He's a man who maximises each and every opportunity so that Tony Mowbray benefits. He looks after himself first, anything else is a by product.

--------
28-11-2009, 04:46 PM

He's a man who maximises each and every opportunity so that Tony Mowbray benefits. He looks after himself first, anything else is a by product.

Indeed, but tell that to the believers. :rolleyes:

Betty Boop
28-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Is that not the way of the World these days?

--------
28-11-2009, 05:00 PM

I think what gets to some of us is the memories of St Tone declaiming about 'loyalty' and 'unfinished business'.....

Just Jimmy
28-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Indeed, and there is nothing wrong with ambition, if it is also met with a bit of common decency. That man is Macheavlian in everything he does...

'Or walk with kings, nor lose the common touch'...

--------
28-11-2009, 05:27 PM
What's puzzlinh me is what's happened to the "If we go on playing like that, we'll win more than we lose" line.

Is it possible that the GFITEEOG wouldn't appreciate that concept? :cool2:

Betty Boop
28-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I think what gets to some of us is the memories of St Tone declaiming about 'loyalty' and 'unfinished business'.....

I agree, however I don't see much evidence of loyalty from managers or players. At the first sign of £££s they're off! :greengrin

HIBERNIAN 1875
28-11-2009, 05:57 PM
All I can say is thank goodness we have Yogi! :thumbsup:

--------
28-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree, however I don't see much evidence of loyalty from managers or players. At the first sign of £££s they're off! :greengrin

I don't mind a man looking out for his career or his bank-balance - footballers have short enough careers, and most of them don't earn the big bucks the top guys earn.

Nor do I mind managers looking to move to bigger clubs.

But most of them spare us the humbug before they go.

But Celtic, their supporters and their manager ALL appear to be absolutely bung full of it right now.

deek68
28-11-2009, 08:08 PM
What bothers me is the "I've been there before in my first few months at Hibernian" line.

We were right behind TM from the start and at this time 5 years ago we beat Aberdeen 2-1 to go seven points ahead of them and consolidate 3rd position in the league.

I also recall an interview with him after our Scottish Cup exit 2006 when he said that he didn't want to get stuck in Scotland as an SPL manager. So fair play, he went off to WBA despite the "unfinished business".

Great memories TM but..

FitbaFolkKen
28-11-2009, 08:37 PM
It is clearly self preservation, telling the Celtic support that this has happened before and will come good soon.
FWIW I don't think there is any thought to the Hibs fans in these comments, simply keeping the Tim's happy.
Could be wrong but that's the way it looks to me!