PDA

View Full Version : how to decide

Allant1981
27-11-2009, 10:34 PM
A lot of people say Pele or Maradonna were the greatest players ever but how do you decide this? Why are the deemed better than say Maldini or keepers like Kahn

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2009, 10:37 PM
A lot of people say Pele or Maradonna were the greatest players ever but how do you decide this? Why are the deemed better than say Maldini or keepers like Kahn

I'm not 100% sure. but i'd say it was something to do with opinion.:wink:

I'm_cabbaged
27-11-2009, 10:39 PM

What would you rather see, somebody ripping the pish out of the best defenders or defenders stopping the best attackers?

heretoday
27-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Interesting point. When ah were nipper Lev Yashin was the hero of all the kids. He was
the Russian goalkeeper and he always dressed in black. The city parks would be full of kids diving around like Lev. Not that we'd seen anything of him really. He was the stuff of legend.

Come the World Cup in 1966 he was seen to let in a couple of goals dressed in black. and the dream was over.

Pete
27-11-2009, 11:36 PM
It's maybe going off on a tangent but some people say the greats of yesteryear such as pele, best, maradona etc...simply wouldn't cut it in todays football due to the physical demands of modern football.

The same accusation is leveled at those who played even 20 years ago.

If Socrates, Platini or Butragueno in their prime were to step into todays football and adhere to the same training regimes as todays players they would stand head and shoulders above the competition....or at least live with them.

Allant1981
27-11-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm not 100% sure. but i'd say it was something to do with opinion.:wink:

Thanks for the smart answer

Hibercelona
27-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't think you can have a best player in the world.

You can't compare the quality of a striker with the quality of a defender. They are 2 completely different roles.

What you could do though is have a super XI, with players that you think are the best in each position.

Ferryhibby
27-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Maradona not stand up to todays game? this guy was the BEST player i have seen his skill was sublime scored unbelievable goals and made the best defenders look like amateurs for anyone to say he couldnt cut it in todays game i ask them to watch the game he played against that bloody animal Gentile of Italy one of the worst dirtiest *******s in the game then who kicked maradona from pillar to post but the little man kept getting up and going at him.

Pete
28-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't think you can have a best player in the world.

You can't compare the quality of a striker with the quality of a defender. They are 2 completely different roles.

What you could do though is have a super XI, with players that you think are the best in each position.

The thing is that even if you do present your best eleven every one is debatable.

Even the number one. Someone says lev yashin, someone says Neville southall...I can say jorge campos!

He's the best pound for pound keeper the world has ever seen.

Hibercelona
28-11-2009, 12:18 AM
The thing is that even if you do present your best eleven every one is debatable.

Even the number one. Someone says lev yashin, someone says Neville southall...I can say jorge campos!

He's the best pound for pound keeper the world has ever seen.

It's true. Even a starting XI wouldn't define the best players in the world.

Its all about opinions. Everybody has different tastes when they go to a football game. And different fans look for different qualities in players.

Some people will measure a players class based on technique, while others will base it on commitment, where as others may base it on speed/stamina... etc.

We will never all come to an agreement on who the best are, because we all have different ideas on what makes a player stand out above the rest.

littleplum
28-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Maradona not stand up to todays game? this guy was the BEST player i have seen his skill was sublime scored unbelievable goals and made the best defenders look like amateurs for anyone to say he couldnt cut it in todays game i ask them to watch the game he played against that bloody animal Gentile of Italy one of the worst dirtiest *******s in the game then who kicked maradona from pillar to post but the little man kept getting up and going at him.

:agree: Indeed, you could argue that now that players don't get booted up and down the park anymore he would thrive even more nowadays.

Back to the main argument, I asked my Dad who played professionally (as a defender) why he rated someone like Pele greater than, say, Beckenbauer and he replied "Because it's harder to create than to destroy."

yekimevol
28-11-2009, 09:38 AM
the reason that pele and maradona get their first over the likes paolo maldini and roberto baggio is that they did it first. but we all know that zinedine zidane is the greatest of all time:notworthy: