PDA

View Full Version : Watching Hibs in Europe

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but if we do qualify for Europe how many on here would be looking to go to an away game ?

I have never been, but have always wanted to.

Anyway as well as that, what countries would make you think twice?

For me:

Greece ... Risk of bodily harm
Italy ...... As above
Turkey .... Risk of death

Any Scandinavian country .... Risk of severe injury to pocket.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't go to any of the following countries;

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Hibee_Rab
24-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine
:faf:

Hermit Crab
24-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Anywhere HOT with plenty of beer!!!

mim
25-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but if we do qualify for Europe how many on here would be looking to go to an away game ?

That's a really good question.
I've never seen Hibs abroad, despite following them home and away in Scotland (and England) off and on for well over 50 years.

I've followed Scotland to two World cup finals, but never Hibs in Europe.
Yet Hibs have always been my first love - strange, eh? :confused:

Jamesie
25-11-2009, 12:06 AM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Leave out Poland and Lithuania (too mainstream) and the rest of those countries would be my dream come true for a great European adventure! Visited them all in the past bar Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Cyprus - could kill two birds with one stone there!

SteveHFC
25-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Serbia
Israel
Turkey
Montenegro
Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

_hucks_
25-11-2009, 01:27 AM

For me:

Italy ...... As above

Would almost definately be against an Athenian team, which is a big enough city to stay out of the way from trouble spots. Same goes for if it were PAOK we drew who play in Salonica.

Lucius Apuleius
25-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Montenegro is freaking stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!! Budva will be the biggest celebrity resort on the planet some time soon.

As for the other countries, been to most apart from the reformed ex soviet states and don't see what the problem is.

Anywhere the Hibees go I will go.

Calvin
25-11-2009, 06:21 AM
There is absolutely nowhere I would even think twice about visiting. Travelled quite a bit in Eastern Europe in the summer and wasn't concerned in the slightest about safety and even if football hooligans from the countries we were visiting grouped up, the thought of that wouldn't put me off going there. Countries like Armenia and Georgia are probably going to get visited by myself if we were to go there on football duty (even though I hear Tbilsi is brilliant) so would definitely make a week of it wherever we went.

I would love to go to Greece: I have a lot of family there so would definitely be able to avoid trouble and get shown all the hotspots and cheap hotels. When we were in Istanbul in the summer I found it one of the friendliest places I've been - just keep your nose clean between the stadium and the hotel.

As for Scandanavia I would love to go there but I agree it is expensive, think I could stretch to a weekend though.

Calvin
25-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Further to the Greek situation, Kavala are going great guns and potentially first round Europe League opponents for a Scottish club, it would be great to draw a team on the beach in a nice country easily reached (Flight to Salonika then train to Kavala).

However I would pick Larisa as they are crap and just up the road from Trikala, but relegation looks more likely for them this season!

I can still dream that Hibs will play Olympiacos some day though!

Steve-O
25-11-2009, 06:37 AM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Can I ask why?! :confused:

scott7_0(Prague)
25-11-2009, 06:39 AM
What a stupid thread. The is no chickens to count or fat ladys singing.........

But to answer your question, somewhere close to Prague where I can drive or get a cheap flight.

basehibby
25-11-2009, 11:12 AM

For me:

Italy ...... As above

Defo jumping the gun a bit here but I share your ambition - I've never been abroad to watch the Hibs (unless you count London and Dublin) and would love to do a trip.

The closest I came was undoubtably the Athens fixture - I would definately have been there as I have in-laws in Athens - unfortunately I was on a plane to the other side of the world at the time - or fortunately as it turned out as the fixture was postponed due to the twin towers incident.

As for "no-go" countries, I don't think there's much that would put me off going anywhere if money wasn't an issue - apart from maybe Afghanistan - but that wasn't in Europe the last time I checked.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

I've been on a few trips to Eastern Europe with Hibs/Scotland and every one of them was superb, I'd head to any of the former Soviet countries before venturing to Scandinavia, at least its cheap once you get there!

cwilliamson85
25-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Why not. Full of cheap booze espically vodka at £1 a bottle.

hot weather during summer months and crap football teams so we might have a chance.

SIGN ME UP!

Green Mikey
25-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Why do you dislike Eastern Europe so much?

I think these are the sort of countries that would make a good away trip. They are cheap and would be a trip into the unknown for most fans.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Tenerife would be nice if they can get a bit further up La Liga. Not sure I would be overly keen on N Ireland just now though.

Ritchie
25-11-2009, 01:03 PM
only time i've ever seen hibs play outside the UK was in pre-season at the shamrock game.

will 100% definately go to our next European away game, no matter where it is..... suppose the questions not really where but when!?! :grr:

Baba O'riley
25-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

As others have said, any reason why not?

Have been to Belarus, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova and Ukraine following Scotland. All cheap as chips, which makes a nice change from Norway and the Faroes.
Didn't like Lithuania; game was in Kaunus (pre Mad Vlad Jambo days), locals were horrible and getting into the ground was a nightmare. Steep hill, pitch black and the guards/security just watched as hundreds of us got crushed against the barrier. It's the closest I've got to a Hillsborough situation and I hope I never have to experience that again. That was for the game in 2003 where we got beat 1-0. Friends who went back for the game we won said things had improved though, and it was a different experience. And Vilnius is supposed to be nice, but I was only in Kaunus. Still wouldn't rush back.
Macedonia - I hated the heat. I'd only go back outwith the summer season, but Skopje seemed a nice enough wee place.
Belarus and Moldova weren't up to much; not places I'd rush back to, but wouldn't advise anyone against going there (just don't get the train from Hanover to Minsk!)
Ukraine is probably the one I'd be unsure about. I didn't experience any bother when I was there, but apparently we'd just left the square when the 200 Ukraine casuals came charging down the street looking for a fight.

No experience of the other countries; although I'd love to go to Russia. Only things that would put me off going to the others would be flight price for some of the former Soviet countries which aren't exactly tourist destinations, and the temperature. No way I'd go to Cyprus and Turkey during the summer. I'd much rather go to Russia in deepest darkest winter!

BravestHibs
25-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

Is this due to wheelchair access?

cwilliamson85
25-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Most ex soviet countries are easy to get to and a brillant laugh. book BA to the cnearest big airport in advance (cheap as chips if you book as soon as the draw is made) and then train it from there. trips like tis dont come along that often so you have to make it a small adventure.

me + 5 mates got a flight to london then overnight bus to Amsterdam via dover calais for the last Scotland holland game BRILLANT time.

LamontHFC©
25-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Bosnia
Cyprus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
Ukraine

You're cool.

Get the amount of attention you were seeking?

LancashireHibby
25-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Only one I wouldn't fancy is Serbia after the experiences of the Bolton fans the other year.

Woody1985
25-11-2009, 03:05 PM
You're cool.

I think someone as probably already touched on the reason why above.

He's given the countries that he doesn't want to visit and IMO isn't attention seeking.

silverhibee
25-11-2009, 03:06 PM
What is everybody worried about travelling abroad to see the Hibs for, we have the casuals to look out after us.:rolleyes::greengrin

Andy74
25-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Having done the independent route to AEK and Dnipro in recent years I'd be ready for anything!

Football travel is amazing, how many of us would head for the East of the Ukraine for anything else?

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Only one I wouldn't fancy is Serbia after the experiences of the Bolton fans the other year.

We stopped off in Belgrade on the way to/from Macedonia, it was superb, I'd highly recommend it! :party::partyhibb:party:

HibbyDave
25-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Seen Hibs in various places including: Belgium,Ukraine, Northern Ireland, Denmark,Eire,Sweden, Greece, Engerland. I'm sure there are others but in any case It's NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH PLACES!!!!

Come on Hibs get qualifying more regularly for Europe from this pishy wee league and give the fans more memories/hangovers. PLEASE:agree::agree::agree:

Bristolhibby
25-11-2009, 05:25 PM
If we qualify I will definately be going.

Have not been
Videoton/Anderlecht - Too wee at the time.
AEK - Was a student at the time, and skint.
Dnipro - Went to the home game, but had just started a new job and was still skint.

Now I am up for anything, it doesnt come around that often so cant be missed.

J

Hermit Crab
25-11-2009, 05:34 PM
No brainer. I go where the team goes, regardless of heat or cold or price of flights and booze. ITS HIBS IN EUROPE!!

Anyway, no guarantee we are going to qualify this season.

LancashireHibby
25-11-2009, 06:53 PM
We stopped off in Belgrade on the way to/from Macedonia, it was superb, I'd highly recommend it! :party::partyhibb:party:

But presumably that was when there was no local football; Bolton fans were locked in their hotel for 7 hours for their own safety when they played Red Star. The murder of the Toulouse fan in an organised attack in Belgrade this season probably suggests why.

.Sean.
25-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I've been too young in recent years to go to foreign climes and watch the Hibs, 19 now though so heres hoping we qualify for the Europa :thumbsup:

If Bolton in the summer was THAT good (was for me anyway... day had everything, and more :agree:) I cant start to imagine what it would be like travelling abroad to see the Hibees

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2009, 11:45 PM
One of the great things about being rich is that nothing is beyond you, pricewise.

One of the great things about being handsome is that you never lack the company of the opposite sex.

One of the great things about being hard and resourceful, is that you can handle any potentially unsavoury situation with ease.

Europe: bring it on.

(One of the great things about the relative anonimity of the internet is that you can give your mind a treat.)

sleeping giant
25-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Nah. Sex offenders register :greengrin

Eh Gary :greengrin:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Can I ask why?! :confused:

Yes, of course you can. :greengrin

Why do you dislike Eastern Europe so much?

I think these are the sort of countries that would make a good away trip. They are cheap and would be a trip into the unknown for most fans.

As you may be aware, I am a wheelchair user and travelling to those kind of countries probably wouldn't be the easiest thing to do in the world. I may be completely wrong on that score, I don't know.

The other reasons, certainly in the case of places like Serbia, is the presence of hooliganism. Others might enjoy being in a hostile environment like Red Star Belgrade or something like that. It's just not for me.

As for countries like Kazakhstan, Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia and Turkey, I just wouldn't go to any of those places if you paid me, on top of the problems that I think I would encounter with being in a wheelchair.

As others have said, any reason why not?

Have been to Belarus, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova and Ukraine following Scotland. All cheap as chips, which makes a nice change from Norway and the Faroes.
Didn't like Lithuania; game was in Kaunus (pre Mad Vlad Jambo days), locals were horrible and getting into the ground was a nightmare. Steep hill, pitch black and the guards/security just watched as hundreds of us got crushed against the barrier. It's the closest I've got to a Hillsborough situation and I hope I never have to experience that again. That was for the game in 2003 where we got beat 1-0. Friends who went back for the game we won said things had improved though, and it was a different experience. And Vilnius is supposed to be nice, but I was only in Kaunus. Still wouldn't rush back.
Macedonia - I hated the heat. I'd only go back outwith the summer season, but Skopje seemed a nice enough wee place.
Belarus and Moldova weren't up to much; not places I'd rush back to, but wouldn't advise anyone against going there (just don't get the train from Hanover to Minsk!)
Ukraine is probably the one I'd be unsure about. I didn't experience any bother when I was there, but apparently we'd just left the square when the 200 Ukraine casuals came charging down the street looking for a fight.

No experience of the other countries; although I'd love to go to Russia. Only things that would put me off going to the others would be flight price for some of the former Soviet countries which aren't exactly tourist destinations, and the temperature. No way I'd go to Cyprus and Turkey during the summer. I'd much rather go to Russia in deepest darkest winter!

Yes, partly. See my response to Green Mikey above.

You're cool.

:confused: The thread asks people to name certain countries that they would think twice about visiting, if Hibs ever got to play a team from that country in a European tie and that's what I did.

I really don't see what your problem is.

wazoo1875
26-11-2009, 01:01 AM
One of the great things about being rich is that nothing is beyond you, pricewise.

One of the great things about being handsome is that you never lack the company of the opposite sex.

One of the great things about being hard and resourceful, is that you can handle any potentially unsavoury situation with ease.

Europe: bring it on.

(One of the great things about the relative anonimity of the internet is that you can give your mind a treat.)

This post almost made me piss my boss jeans with laughter bob :top marks

I am up for anywhere next season, so long as Yogi and the lads do the business on the park .

I will be there to see them :notworthy:

Petrie's Tache
26-11-2009, 01:14 AM
This post almost made me piss my boss jeans with laughter bob :top marks

I am up for anywhere next season, so long as Yogi and the lads do the business on the park .

I will be there to see them :notworthy:

What do you mean almost? Stinks of piss muther funky!!:greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
26-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Money permitting, i wouldnt hesitate to book flights to any away game we have...

WarringtonHibee
26-11-2009, 04:42 AM
I'd go pretty much anywhere, the issue with me is how much it would cost to a sponging student such as myself.

BravestHibs
26-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Personally, I'd go anywhere. The cheaper and more dodgy it is the better as far as I'm concerned. Belarus and the Ukraine are on my to do list anyway. I'd love to go to somewhere like Azebaijan as well. Brilliant weather, absolutely beeeeeaaaauuutiful women and hibs. What's not to like?

Houchy
26-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Montenegro is freaking stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!! Budva will be the biggest celebrity resort on the planet some time soon.

As for the other countries, been to most apart from the reformed ex soviet states and don't see what the problem is.

Anywhere the Hibees go I will go.

But you live in Nigeria... Afghanistan would be like Blackpool to you:greengrin

Darth Hibbie
26-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Would try and get to any games i could in Europe, but f%$& going to Blackpool I ain't that brave.

scott7_0(Prague)
26-11-2009, 11:27 AM
You're cool.

And you on the other hand are not so cool after that post.........

:bitchy::bitchy:

BravestHibs
26-11-2009, 11:36 AM

How was he supposed to know he was in a wheelchair. Hop off your high horse.

cwilliamson85
26-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Do you think hibs would offer

If you show a ticket to the away game you are guaranteed a ticket for the home game (only comes into play if our first tie was away)

We can but dream.

scott7_0(Prague)
26-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Trust me, I don't need a high horse!!

Anyway, I don't suppose he did know the guy was in a wheelchair, but his tone was looking for a reaction (one he got) and the other gents original reply did not indicate any attention seeking in my opinion.

BravestHibs
26-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Trust me, I don't need a high horse!!

Anyway, I don't suppose he did know the guy was in a wheelchair, but his tone was looking for a reaction (one he got) and the other gents original reply did not indicate any attention seeking in my opinion.

I don't think anyone needs a high horse. It's not a positive thing.

If you've read any of Falkirks borderline racist (I say borderline to attribute some kind of benefit of the doubt) posts in the past you would probably understand why Lamont posted what he did, as my initial response was to think he had some kind of anti-east european prejudice as well.

So perhaps you weren't in posession of all the facts when you galloped in on your unicorn to stick up for the disabled guy. It just makes the gesture seem all the more hollow if you want my opinion.

scott7_0(Prague)
26-11-2009, 01:32 PM

If you've read any of Falkirks borderline racist (I say borderline to attribute some kind of benefit of the doubt) posts in the past you would probably understand why Lamont posted what he did, as my initial response was to think he had some kind of anti-east european prejudice as well.

So perhaps you weren't in posession of all the facts when you galloped in on your unicorn to stick up for the disabled guy. It just makes the gesture seem all the more hollow if you want my opinion.

Far enough, but we will never agree will we..... Mon the Hibs!

Lucius Apuleius
26-11-2009, 02:10 PM

:greengrin Cannae disagree bud, however I was in Montenegro in the summer as I said. Apart from Cannes and Monaco I have never seen so many beautiful half naked women walking up and down the prom posing:grr: (where is the drooling smiley????) I can understand where FH is coming from with his worries about wheelchair access etc however, believe me, we in the UK are not that far advanced of a lot of nations we would like to think we arAnyhoo back to subject:

Anywhere the Hibees go, GT goes. (as long as I am on rotation at the time and my missus lets me that is):greengrin

Darth Hibbie
26-11-2009, 02:11 PM
:greengrin Cannae disagree bud, however I was in Montenegro in the summer as I said. Apart from Cannes and Monaco I have never seen so many beautiful half naked women walking up and down the prom posing:grr: (where is the drooling smiley????) I can understand where FH is coming from with his worries about wheelchair access etc however, believe me, we in the UK are not that far advanced of a lot of nations we would like to think we arAnyhoo back to subject:

Anywhere the Hibees go, GT goes. (as long as I am on rotation at the time and my missus lets me that is):greengrin

:grr: Same problem as everybody else :grr:

LamontHFC©
26-11-2009, 04:59 PM

:coffee:

Thank you.

Sorry if I caused you offence scott7_0(Prague), as I doubt I'd have caused anyone else any.

:love ya!:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2009, 11:35 PM

This has now taken on a completely different tone, which I don't think is relevant to the main message board.

You clearly have a problem with me and you think the worst of absolutely everything that I say so this will be the final post from me on this thread.

I would be quite happy to have this kind of conversation with you on the appropriate board, i.e. the Holy Ground.

BravestHibs
27-11-2009, 09:19 AM
This has now taken on a completely different tone, which I don't think is relevant to the main message board.

You clearly have a problem with me and you think the worst of absolutely everything that I say so this will be the final post from me on this thread.

I would be quite happy to have this kind of conversation with you on the appropriate board, i.e. the Holy Ground.

I think that you are a racist yes. However I did actually give you the benefit of the doubt in this thread.

I can't do anything right by you can I........

*tearful anti-fascist emoticon*