PDA

View Full Version : Player Values

Hibernian Verse
24-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Just reading through the BBC gossip section and read this:

"West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola insists the club will not be forced to sell striker Carlton Cole in January, despite interest in the £20m-rated player from Manchester United and Liverpool."

TWENTY-MILLION POUNDS FOR CARLTON COLE?

"Chelsea have dropped out of the running to sign Benfica's Ángel Di María after balking at the £36m asking price" - He might be good but he's only 21.

"In their own hunt for a goalkeeper, United have been told CSKA Moscow want £25m for stopper Igor Akinfeev." - £25m for a keeper...

"West Ham will continue to pay unwanted midfielder Nigel Quashie £20,000 a week in wages when he joins MK Dons on loan in the coming week." - That's right, Nigel Quashie earns £20k a week.

And Celtic paid 3.8m for Fortuné

CallumLaidlaw
24-11-2009, 10:35 PM

"West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola insists the club will not be forced to sell striker Carlton Cole in January, despite interest in the £20m-rated player from Manchester United and Liverpool."

TWENTY-MILLION POUNDS FOR CARLTON COLE?

"Chelsea have dropped out of the running to sign Benfica's Ángel Di María after balking at the £36m asking price" - He might be good but he's only 21.

"In their own hunt for a goalkeeper, United have been told CSKA Moscow want £25m for stopper Igor Akinfeev." - £25m for a keeper...

"West Ham will continue to pay unwanted midfielder Nigel Quashie £20,000 a week in wages when he joins MK Dons on loan in the coming week." - That's right, Nigel Quashie earns £20k a week.

And Celtic paid 3.8m for Fortuné

English players always tend to go for higher than the going rate these days. See Michael Carrick & Owen Hargreaves

hibeeleicester
24-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Tony Mowbary bought shelton martis off us for 50k !!

Inverness got brian kerr for £0

theres rip offs happening everywhere!!

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Having seen this I've not doubt the figures will be spot on to the penny.

marinello59
24-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I saw Carlton Cole play down at Chelsea a couple of times and he was truly outstanding. Lost his way a bit due to a combination of attitude, injury and bad luck at the players Chelsea had ahead of him. (Was it Terry he lamped on the training pitch?)
He does look to be playing to his potential now though...........someone could easily pay in the region 20 mill for him. Still crazy though.

Hibernian Verse
24-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Having seen this I've not doubt the figures will be spot on to the penny.

I didn't say they were accurate to the penny, these are just figures being quoted in the press.

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I didn't say they were accurate to the penny, these are just figures being quoted in the press.

So are you saying Quashie might not be on 20k a week?

Hibernian Verse
24-11-2009, 10:56 PM
So are you saying Quashie might not be on 20k a week?

:greengrin I believe that he probably is on something near it as he's a Premiership player. Given the fact that I know that Kevin Kyle was on £25k a week basic whilst at Sunderland I find it perfectly believable that Quashie is on near enough £20k.

Ed De Gramo
24-11-2009, 10:57 PM
So much for a credit crunch :cool2:

HibeeUnderwood
25-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I think Carlton Cole's a good player :agree:

He has always had the ability, and its been easier to see in the last couple of seasons. He has put in much better performances I feel then what he was doing maybe 2 or 3 years ago

However, he is not worth £20 million. If West Ham have(I don't know if its true or tosh!) set that value then they are either mad or desperate! :bitchy:

Hibs On Tour
25-11-2009, 12:59 AM
English players always tend to go for higher than the going rate these days. See Michael Carrick & Owen Hargreaves

Michael Carrick is one of the finest midfielders in the country IMHO... thought he was so at Spurs and think if anything he's got better at Man U...

Hargreaves flatters to deceive though...

£20m is mental for Carlton Cole. Kinda the going rate for average players - Glen Johnson anyone?...

Ritchie
25-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Tony Mowbary bought shelton martis off us for 50k !!

Inverness got brian kerr for £0

theres rip offs happening everywhere!!

:faf::faf:

LamontHFC©
25-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Akinfeev is a very good keeper. :cool2:

Bayern Bru
25-11-2009, 01:14 PM
There was a transfer fee for Brian Kerr. It was an unseen deal, honest. :cool2:

Beckenbauer, who's president of Bayern Munich slapped an £80million price tag on Franck Ribéry - this is for an unsettled player who wanted a move away.

:faint:

Dread to even consider his wages.

cwilliamson85
25-11-2009, 01:22 PM
So much for a credit crunch :cool2:

I dont know about you but I have not seen or heard of this credit crunch. still getting pay rises, nobody getting laid off, people still buying and selling house.

Just seems like a great example of banks to move debts around.

A bad company badly run is always going to be in trouble - Look at Hearts :faf:

davemcbain
25-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Beckenbauer, who's president of Bayern Munich slapped an £80million price tag on Franck Ribéry - this is for an unsettled player who wanted a move away.

That's daylight ribery......

....I'll get my coat.

CorrieHibs
25-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Some players values are ridiculous. Think Celtic wanted over £10million for Aidan McGeady :faf:. Is hutton really worth £10 million?

Jim44
25-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Does anyone else feel that these unbelievable price tags and salaries are swelling football economy into a huge over-inflated bubble that is going to explode one day and leave the game in a state from which it can't recover? There has to be some sort of rationalisation soon. :bitchy:

ancient hibee
25-11-2009, 05:41 PM
How much for Bamba?

Hermit Crab
25-11-2009, 06:11 PM
How much for Bamba?

20 million + John Terry

.Sean.
25-11-2009, 06:15 PM
:greengrin I believe that he probably is on something near it as he's a Premiership player. Given the fact that I know that Kevin Kyle was on £25k a week basic whilst at Sunderland I find it perfectly believable that Quashie is on near enough £20k.
Unreal he was on that. Seen him play a few times and yet to see him even justify a Scotland cap let alone 25K a week.

What'll he be on now at Killie, £3000 max maybe?

Green_one
25-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Not a big surprise, simply reflects market forces.

You have Real Madrid and Man City paying crazy sums and wages. That forces others to follow and you have a collection of other clubs with new owners and little knowledge, who will throw cash all over the place. Who, for example, will Birmingham buy in January. I bet they pay well over the odds.

Some clubs are trying not to play the game - most of the big four in England, particularly Arsenal but they will have to join in at some point.

Even clubs going bust, ala Leeds, does no stop the madness.

For a club like Hibs it at least holds the prospect of a bigger sale.

Hibs On Tour
25-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Unreal he was on that. Seen him play a few times and yet to see him even justify a Scotland cap let alone 25K a week.

And no even worth that either, IMHO... :wink:

heretoday
25-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I think Carlton Cole's a good player :agree:

He has always had the ability, and its been easier to see in the last couple of seasons. He has put in much better performances I feel then what he was doing maybe 2 or 3 years ago

However, he is not worth £20 million. If West Ham have(I don't know if its true or tosh!) set that value then they are either mad or desperate! :bitchy:

He's a big, strong, pacey chap who's having a great season in a weakish team. He is definitely NOT worth £20M even at today's ludicrous prices. Imagine what Darren Bent must be worth now!

Hibernian Verse
25-11-2009, 07:56 PM

I'll double check but IIRC, he's there highest earner on £2000 basic.

Sloppy
25-11-2009, 08:06 PM
20 million + John Terry
is that all? we should hold out untill after the world cup:devil: