PDA

View Full Version : Yam offspring

hibsbollah
24-11-2009, 04:27 PM
How would you react if your kids (real or imagined) started supporting Hertz? Or indeed has it happened to you?

MacBean
24-11-2009, 04:42 PM
happened with my wee brother and i was gutted. Gave him years of abuse for it as the whole family are all hibs fans from great great granny to the youngest born and he sticks out like Nade at a salad bar

dangermouse
24-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Happened to me too. My ex conspired to get my kids to support Hearts to spite me but only managed to indoctrinate my son. Got pictures of him in a Hearts strip and had to buy stuff out the Hearts shop (but refused to take him to a game).

Anyway, he has moved on (he actually came back to supporting Hibs for a while) and now lives in Dundee and supports the Arabs.

Killiehibbie
24-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Where's the option to kill yourself for failing completely as a Father?

Barney McGrew
24-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Or passing it up for adoption?

bighairyfaeleith
24-11-2009, 05:00 PM
has to be the toalie option, I know you should love your kids regardless but a yam for ****sake, thats pushing it a bit :greengrin

The_Sauz
24-11-2009, 05:00 PM
My son is a Yam and is always good for a laugh at Christmas time :jamboak:(in fact all the year round :greengrin) especially when my father, Uncle & Big sister get tore into him.......:faf:
My daughter is a current bun :grr:(she can afford the bus fare) so she gets also :wink:

jacomo
24-11-2009, 05:10 PM
My son is a Yam and is always good for a laugh at Christmas time :jamboak:(in fact all the year round :greengrin) especially when my father, Uncle & Big sister get tore into him.......:faf:
My daughter is a current bun :grr:(she can afford the bus fare) so she gets also :wink:

Please accept my sincere condolences...

Phil D. Rolls
24-11-2009, 05:10 PM
At the age of four my son told me that he'd prefer to support Hearts. I told him that was OK, packed a case and wished him all the best.

He soon saw the light.

RIP
24-11-2009, 05:23 PM

:top marks

Says it all for me.

It's not just about putting food in their mouths or a roof over their heads.

It's about quality of life. Football played the way it should be played - the beautiful game performed with class and style.

A family club with family values giving something back to the community.

greenginger
24-11-2009, 05:35 PM
All kids from the earliest possible age should be taken down Gorgie way when the North British Distillery is letting off steam/fumes.
To your average adult this is a rather pleasant smell of something soon to become drinkable, but to kids it is a foul odour.

Tell the kids this what all Jambos smell of!

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-11-2009, 05:36 PM
It would flucking never happen...full stop

Bishop Hibee
24-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Wasn't an option for any of my 3 sons.

Born Hibs, Live Hibs, Die Hibs :agree:

lapsedhibee
24-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Shirley they'll regret those names in later life? :dunno:

--------
24-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Where's the option of divorcing the wife (no Jambo could possibly be any child of mine), then taking the misbegotten sprog out into the wilderness and making an (in)human sacrifice of him/her/it?

Hainan Hibs
24-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd consider myself a failed parent, this type of thing shouldn't be allowed to happen full stop.

I'd also plant a size 12 steel toe cap boot up the son's arse.

Kojock
24-11-2009, 05:45 PM

:top marks:thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
24-11-2009, 05:50 PM

:greengrin

Had to draw the line somewhere (so my wife says) so no Hibby names. My cousin (sadly passed away) gave one of his sons Reilly Ormond for Christian names though! I'm sure some on here must have given their offspring Hibs related names?

Sloppy
24-11-2009, 06:00 PM
How would you react if your kids (real or imagined) started supporting Hertz? Or indeed has it happened to you?
kick the living ***** out of him/her and get 12 years

Toaods
24-11-2009, 06:08 PM

unlike their sister, MONA ...:greengrin

CorrieHibs
24-11-2009, 06:08 PM
All kids from the earliest possible age should be taken down Gorgie way when the North British Distillery is letting off steam/fumes.
To your average adult this is a rather pleasant smell of something soon to become drinkable, but to kids it is a foul odour.

Tell the kids this what all Jambos smell of!

LOL. Thats exactly what my uncle done to me and my cousins.

matty_f
24-11-2009, 06:11 PM
They'd be disowned.:agree:

Luckily, the kids are coming along great - oldest is absolutely mental on the Hibs at the moment, and my middle one will be at her second game on Saturday.

I literally got woken up on the morning of the derby with the pair of them belting out "Sunshine on Leith" followed by "ooh to be a ...Hibee!".:thumbsup:

Oldest has a few favourites in the team - Chris Hogg (because he signed a programme for him for his birthday *thanks to Billy on here*), Kurtis Byrne because he met him playing for the 19s last season, and Fergus Bell who shook his hand twice this season :thumbsup:

Bairns are great!!!!:greengrin

Mag7
24-11-2009, 06:43 PM
This would never happen now. Hearts now hold zero attraction for any 'floating' fans looking for a club to support.

MeAndMyBoys
24-11-2009, 08:53 PM
This happened to me - Oldest son was poisoned by his grandfather (mothers side!!!) to start to support the JT's... :jamboak:
Stayed cool - only ever took him to one game 0-4 reverse to arabs :violin: couple of years ago (free tickets) - he's never asked to go back again and is part way through conversion...

he wears his Hibs strip with pride (despite a number of his palls being JT's) :scarf: and is a Hibs Kid.

Younger brother never had any doubts - he's a hibee through and through. :flag:

NaeTechnoHibby
24-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Threaten to drown them down the loo :agree: :devil:

Always, encourage your sibling's youngsters, and take them to games and if you can get them young at a positive game ...sorted :thumbsup:

sixtwo
24-11-2009, 09:07 PM
My boy is 11 and he couldn't care less about football! I think I turned him off the game by getting his first season ticket during the Bobby Williamson era!:yawn:

I'm gonna give it one more go. He's got a half season ticket for his xmas!:wink:

:notworthy:

ArabHibee
24-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Happened to me too. My ex conspired to get my kids to support Hearts to spite me but only managed to indoctrinate my son. Got pictures of him in a Hearts strip and had to buy stuff out the Hearts shop (but refused to take him to a game).

Anyway, he has moved on (he actually came back to supporting Hibs for a while) and now lives in Dundee and supports the Arabs.

Good lad! :devil:

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 09:22 PM

****** me, did she dress him in pink as well? :greengrin

I met a guy earlier in the year (the husband of a friend of my wife) - Hibs daft but all 3 of his boys are Jambos. He worked away a bit when they were bairns and his brother (or his wifes) brother took them to Tiny and they liked it. All he was trying to do was provide for them and they repay him like that? They should be ashamed of themselves. :greengrin

David@EasterRoad
24-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I remember being in p1 (1986) and loads of boys who are now Hibs daft tried to convert me to Jambo. I just said no way my dad would kill me. I've always been impressed that he made this so obvious from a young age without actually saying it. Excellent parenting skills!

nonshinyfinish
24-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Kurtis Byrne because he met him playing for the 19s last season

Your son plays for the 19s?!

Good old Fairnie genes. :agree:

Speedy
24-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd be disappointed but I'd probably just laugh at him(or her)

Mixu62
24-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd get them the DVD's of the 7-0 and 6-2 games for Christmas. Don't have kids but even my cat's a Hibby!

There are jambo's in the family though, but we keep them locked in the attic, out of harms way.

500miles
25-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Drown it and start again.

Fish
25-11-2009, 09:04 AM
My dad gave up

Devout Jambo, like his father and he created a hibby.

We've never been close

sadtom
25-11-2009, 09:12 AM
They dont get a choice. For me its about family and community, never really understood this 'consumer' approach of 'picking' a team.
They are told what their team is and if they even thought of deviating of the righteous path they'd be given a spotted hanky on a cane and shown the door.
They can do their gloryhunting when picking an english team.

hibbie02
25-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Can you imagine this as a Yam?

|
v

MrSmith
25-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd be ok with it!

At least it wasn't the ugly sisters!!

My first was brought up in Darly. We were going to stay there permanently so supporting the jumbos would have been natural for him but we moved to the Inch, he is nine now and a dyed in the wool hibee, so much so, he is the one ensuring my other two are hibees!:thumbsup::top marks

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2009, 09:50 AM
My two never had the option. Both are Hibbys, and proud of it. Even though they live in London, they still make the trek to a few games a year, and are big Hibs fans from afar.

Baw187
25-11-2009, 10:18 AM
At the age of four my son told me that he'd prefer to support Hearts. I told him that was OK, packed a case and wished him all the best.

He soon saw the light.

My old boy did a similar thing to me when I was 5.

I'd just started Primary School and it was my first real run in with Yams. It was 1985/86 and there were loads of Yams (probably cause of their title push) and I couldn't understand why I was in the minority.

We were travelling along the M8 to Glasgow Airport on our way for a holiday and I announced that I was going to be a yam because everyone at school was.

Silence.

Then about 2 minutes later, my old boy calmly pulled over on the hardshoulder, got out the car, opened my door and ordered me out.

As I stood there, freezing at the side of the M8, he made me promise I would never repeat such a thing again before letting me back in the car.

The rest is history.

Big Frank
25-11-2009, 10:35 AM
My 6yr old is a Hibby. My soon to be born number 2 will be a Hibby.

There is no alternative.

dangermouse
25-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Good lad! :devil:

When he first moved up there he was back to supporting Hibs but turned to Dundee. No idea why he started supporting United but at least it's not the Ugly Sisters he's following. I got him and his girlfriend tickets to the CIS cup final for his birthday. They should have won it that day.

dangermouse
25-11-2009, 10:50 AM
****** me, did she dress him in pink as well? :greengrin

I met a guy earlier in the year (the husband of a friend of my wife) - Hibs daft but all 3 of his boys are Jambos. He worked away a bit when they were bairns and his brother (or his wifes) brother took them to Tiny and they liked it. All he was trying to do was provide for them and they repay him like that? They should be ashamed of themselves. :greengrin

Thankfully not. She did it to spite me when we split up. Thankfully my daughter could not be turned to the dark side and she goes to ER when she can although she has missed a trick with her own daughter who is having the misfortune to be brought up a Hun :brickwall

My youngest on the other hand is Hibs daft. I've even suggested taking him to the PBS to watch them (as a joke obviously). If looks could kill I'd be long gone. :greengrin

EH14
25-11-2009, 11:01 AM
My old man's a hibby. :greengrin

MSK
25-11-2009, 11:04 AM
My old man's a hibby. :greengrinWTF happened then ..did he no like you ..?...:greengrin

Hibs7
25-11-2009, 11:08 AM
If they turn out to be Jambo's ? has someone else been poking the fire ? :wink: no offence meant. :greengrin

EH14
25-11-2009, 11:34 AM
WTF happened then ..did he no like you ..?...:greengrin

I grew up in Gorgie, and going to Tynecastle Nursery and Craiglockhart Primary it was probably inevitable that Hearts were going to be my team.

I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to allow me to choose to support Hearts (I certainly can't imagine letting any kids of mine have a green scarf) but I remember vividly the time I first realised what it actually meant that I supported the rival team from my old man.

I'd call it putting his family before himself (you guys would probably call it something different) but my dad was always pretty good at taking me to Tynecastle for games, especially in the season that you guys never let us forget (Dens....). In my youthful naivety I probably assumed that my dad actually enjoyed watching Hearts, and was glad when they won- that all went out the window though when it came to the first derby when I had to watch my dad celebrate a Hibs goal, while sitting in the Hearts end (we'd already been to a couple of derbies but Hibs scoring in them wasn't too common at that time...). After that it could never be the same- I quickly started going to games with Hearts supporting mates and though we often go to Scotland or Newcastle games together, when it comes to Edinburgh football it's pretty clear that we'll never sing from the same song sheet.

MrSmith
25-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I grew up in Gorgie, and going to Tynecastle Nursery and Craiglockhart Primary it was probably inevitable that Hearts were going to be my team.

I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to allow me to choose to support Hearts (I certainly can't imagine letting any kids of mine have a green scarf) but I remember vividly the time I first realised what it actually meant that I supported the rival team from my old man.

I'd call it putting his family before himself (you guys would probably call it something different) but my dad was always pretty good at taking me to Tynecastle for games, especially in the season that you guys never let us forget (Dens....). In my youthful naivety I probably assumed that my dad actually enjoyed watching Hearts, and was glad when they won- that all went out the window though when it came to the first derby when I had to watch my dad celebrate a Hibs goal, while sitting in the Hearts end (we'd already been to a couple of derbies but Hibs scoring in them wasn't too common at that time...). After that it could never be the same- I quickly started going to games with Hearts supporting mates and though we often go to Scotland or Newcastle games together, when it comes to Edinburgh football it's pretty clear that we'll never sing from the same song sheet.

That's what it is all about being a Hibs or Hearts fan! The decent interaction totally eclipses anything from the West and that's why the meedjia attempt to subvert this match at every turn.......

cockneymike
25-11-2009, 11:43 AM
My old boy did a similar thing to me when I was 5.

I'd just started Primary School and it was my first real run in with Yams. It was 1985/86 and there were loads of Yams (probably cause of their title push) and I couldn't understand why I was in the minority.

We were travelling along the M8 to Glasgow Airport on our way for a holiday and I announced that I was going to be a yam because everyone at school was.

Silence.

Then about 2 minutes later, my old boy calmly pulled over on the hardshoulder, got out the car, opened my door and ordered me out.

As I stood there, freezing at the side of the M8, he made me promise I would never repeat such a thing again before letting me back in the car.

The rest is history.

:top marks for your old man, not you! Although I suppose well done for being an obedient son. :wink:

Bayern Bru
25-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd sit my kids down and tell them that if they know their history, it's enough to make them....understand just how important Hibs is to them :cool2: and explain that their great-great uncle played for them in the 20s, their grandad and great grandad supported them all their lives, their dad and perhaps mum(:greengrin) support them, and that maroon's a rank colour to be seen in anyway. :agree:

Luckily for my old fella, he didn't have to go through this. He dragged me to ER and after a fine 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock, I was hooked :confused::greengrin

and the rest, as they say, is history!

There is only one Yam in my family, and even so, she's a pretend Yam. There will be no Yammery in this family, not now, not ever!!

:paranoid::worried::pray:

MSK
25-11-2009, 11:49 AM

I'd call it putting his family before himself (you guys would probably call it something different) but my dad was always pretty good at taking me to Tynecastle for games, especially in the season that you guys never let us forget (Dens....). In my youthful naivety I probably assumed that my dad actually enjoyed watching Hearts, and was glad when they won- that all went out the window though when it came to the first derby when I had to watch my dad celebrate a Hibs goal, while sitting in the Hearts end (we'd already been to a couple of derbies but Hibs scoring in them wasn't too common at that time...). After that it could never be the same- I quickly started going to games with Hearts supporting mates and though we often go to Scotland or Newcastle games together, when it comes to Edinburgh football it's pretty clear that we'll never sing from the same song sheet.My Dad was a yam (more an arm chair supporter though)...he missed quite a few years of us (my big Bro) growing up as he was at sea most of our young lives but i think he accepted us being hibbies ..in fact he didnt have a choice ...:greengrin

Two of my Sisters married yams & my Dad fair loved the pre-match banter on derby days at his house...we all got the bevvies out early doors (to get into the mood..:party: ) then we would get the cards out ..it was very competitive pre-match ...:greengrin

Even after the game we would all go for a bevvy then back to my mum & dads house to continue sorting out our differences, with of course more bevvy !!!! :greengrin

I dont see my Brother in laws much these days as work & family commitments have taken over but as far as banter was concerned within the family it was priceless...absolutley some fantastic drunken days ..even if results didnt go our way ..:greengrin

Baw187
25-11-2009, 12:35 PM
:top marks for your old man, not you! Although I suppose well done for being an obedient son. :wink:

I'm sure I didn't fancy being left at the side of the M8 while the rest of my family jetted off on holiday !!

Turned out to be the best decision I ever made !

Sloppy
25-11-2009, 05:41 PM
My boy is 11 and he couldn't care less about football! I think I turned him off the game by getting his first season ticket during the Bobby Williamson era!:yawn:

I'm gonna give it one more go. He's got a half season ticket for his xmas!:wink:

:notworthy:
Even santas a hibiee :notworthy: