PDA

View Full Version : Willie Miller at it again

Part/Time Supporter
24-11-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2009/11/24/aberdeen-chief-willie-miller-backs-gary-mcdonald-shirt-celebration-red-card-86908-21845544/

Is every decision by a referee now requiring the "Willie seal of approval"?

:grr: :rolleyes:

Shut up and sort out your crap team ya numpty.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2009/11/24/aberdeen-chief-willie-miller-backs-gary-mcdonald-shirt-celebration-red-card-86908-21845544/

He's a munter! :agree:

StevieT
24-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Typical Daily Record can't even get the referee's name correct. The referee in the picture is Crawford Allan, not Steve.

Barney McGrew
24-11-2009, 10:25 AM

It used to be like that when he was playing, so there's no reason for him to change now :wink:

--------
24-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Referee's decisions have always had to pass the Miller 'Seal of Approval' process. The guy would add ten minutes to the duration of a game by constantly arguing over free-kicks, throw-ins, and yellow cards against Aberdeen. A red card against them mean WW3 breaking out.

It's no coincidence that the Dons' manager at the time was Alex Ferguson.

I seem to recall that whenever Miller started ranting at the ref, one of the Aberdeen forwards was right there joining in. Cannae quite place his name though - began with an 'M', I think. A fat, torn-faced, cheating plook with a bad haircut, IIRC.

Now what on earth was his name..... ? :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
24-11-2009, 10:39 AM
If I was Willie Miller, I would be far more upset with that dismissal than with either of the red cards that they got at Easter Road.

Even although the referee was technically correct in producing a second yellow card, McDonald didn't remove his shirt (which would have given the referee no option but to book him), he lifted it up and pointed to his (bare) stomach. He had no controversial message on a t-shirt or anything like that and that is where the referee could have used his common sense (remember McGhee and Miller coming out with this after the Hibs game!?) by turning a blind eye.

It's unbelievable that they are happy to accept this decision and yet they were so incensed when Chris Maguire was shown a red card for making a challenge that could easily have broken Kevin McBride's ankle.

--------
24-11-2009, 10:46 AM
If I was Willie Miller, I would be far more upset with that dismissal than with either of the red cards that they got at Easter Road.

Even although the referee was technically correct in producing a second yellow card, McDonald didn't remove his shirt (which would have given the referee no option but to book him), he lifted it up and pointed to his (bare) stomach. He had no controversial message on a t-shirt or anything like that and that is where the referee could have used his common sense (remember McGhee and Miller coming out with this after the Hibs game!?) by turning a blind eye.

It's unbelievable that they are happy to accept this decision and yet they were so incensed when Chris Maguire was shown a red card for making a challenge that could easily have broken Kevin McBride's ankle.

FH - Miller and McGhee aren't happy with the decision. They're NEVER happy with any decision that goes against the Dons. They're the bifurcated epitome of the Professional Whinger.

Miller's trying to make sure that any player from now on who pulls his shirt over his head will be booked.

He's probably trying to get the ET advert banned all over again.

But TBF - McGhee never once pulled HIS shirt over his head - he couldnae get it up ower his fat belly. Miller was too busy ranting. :grr:

haagsehibby
24-11-2009, 10:48 AM

From "FIFA Laws of the Game 2009/2010", LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT:

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:
• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

crewetollhibee
24-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Referee's decisions have always had to pass the Miller 'Seal of Approval' process. The guy would add ten minutes to the duration of a game by constantly arguing over free-kicks, throw-ins, and yellow cards against Aberdeen. A red card against them mean WW3 breaking out.

It's no coincidence that the Dons' manager at the time was Alex Ferguson.

I seem to recall that whenever Miller started ranting at the ref, one of the Aberdeen forwards was right there joining in. Cannae quite place his name though - began with an 'M', I think. A fat, torn-faced, cheating plook with a bad haircut, IIRC.

Now what on earth was his name..... ? :rolleyes:
Frank McDougall ? :devil:

Sir David Gray
24-11-2009, 10:58 AM
From "FIFA Laws of the Game 2009/2010", LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT:

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:
• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

I know what the rule states and that the referee was correct in handing out the yellow card and subsequent red card, I was just saying that I think he could have used a bit of common sense and turned a blind eye on this occasion, since he didn't obviously remove his shirt completely and he didn't have any religious/political message on a t-shirt underneath.

I know this is changing the subject slightly but how hard would it be for the referee to check the players before the match and again before the second half starts to make sure that they have no t-shirts on that have any messages on them?

That way they could then take their tops off, if they so wished, when they score, without being in danger of receiving a yellow card or, as in McDonald's case, a second yellow and a subsequent one match ban for something so stupid.

basehibby
24-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Jeez - what a F**gin :trumpet:

How Miller the brass neck to still be going on about the red cards at ER is amazing - Maguire's in particular was a potential ankle breaker and more than fully deserved an instant red.

Ironically, I have sympathy for the guy who got sent off for celebrating his new born baby - it just goes to show how cock eyed some of the rules of the game are - it's supposed to be entertainment afterall, yet players can be sent off just for showing a bit of exuberance in celebrating a goal :crazy:

ronaldo7
24-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I find it very unusual that both he as the Director of Football and his players who earn a living from the game, never knew of the rule.

Maybe they should go back to farming.

Kato
24-11-2009, 11:01 AM
"When Maurice Ross and Chris Maguire were wrongly sent off against Hibs I took a stand because we have been on the wrong end of a number of bad refereeing decisions.

What a complete kn*bh**d.

I know he got away with this as a player - are they going to let him away with mentioning this every week?

haagsehibby
24-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I know what the rule states and that the referee was correct in handing out the yellow card and subsequent red card, I was just saying that I think he could have used a bit of common sense and turned a blind eye on this occasion, since he didn't obviously remove his shirt completely and he didn't have any religious/political message on a t-shirt underneath.

I know this is changing the subject slightly but how hard would it be for the referee to check the players before the match and again before the second half starts to make sure that they have no t-shirts on that have any messages on them?

That way they could then take their tops off, if they so wished, when they score, without being in danger of receiving a yellow card or, as in McDonald's case, a second yellow and a subsequent one match ban for something so stupid.

There's the rub. I don't believe it is incumbent upon the referee to check that a player is in compliance with the laws, with the obvious exception of checking boots to avoid injury to other players.

While I agree it's a petty law - it's a law nevertheless. And I would be pretty cheesed off if a Hibs player was cautioned for simple ignorance of the laws.

Stevie Reid
24-11-2009, 11:11 AM

So incensed that they decided not to appeal the red card

--------
24-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Frank McDougall ? :devil:

Naw, Frank was too thick. He just made up the numbers.

On a tangent (OP please forgive):

Did you ever hear the story of Frank's new house? He bought a house not long after he moved to Aberdeen, and one day after training he invited Jim Bett (later manager of the Iceland team - the country, not the foodstore) to come round and see it.

Jim agreed, and they drove round in his car. It was around this time of year, and the nights were drawing in. When they got there, Frank got really upset.

The lights were on.

"Whit's goin on?" he raged. "There's squatters living in ma new hoose! Thiv jist made theresels at hame and settled in! That's no right! Ah'm getting ma lawyer oantae thum!"

And he started up the garden path to confront the 'squatters'.

At which point Jim Bett had to point out to him that he'd bought one half of a pair of semi-detached.... :devil:

lapsedhibee
24-11-2009, 11:17 AM
While I agree it's a petty law - it's a law nevertheless. And I would be pretty cheesed off if a Hibs player was cautioned for simple ignorance of the laws.

I've often wondered but always been too shy to ask/too lazy to look up the law: Can a forward be booked for repeatedly infringing the offside rule and having numerous free-kicks awarded against him? :dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 11:19 AM
"When Maurice Ross and Chris Maguire were wrongly sent off against Hibs I took a stand because we have been on the wrong end of a number of bad refereeing decisions.

What a complete kn*bh**d.

I know he got away with this as a player - are they going to let him away with mentioning this every week?

Maybe him and Gordon Smith are still pally from their Radio Scotland days, so Smith won't discipline him?

Barney McGrew
24-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I've often wondered but always been too shy to ask/too lazy to look up the law: Can a forward be booked for repeatedly infringing the offside rule and having numerous free-kicks awarded against him? :dunno:

I would have thought the ref could card them for persistent fouling if they really wanted to.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2009, 12:01 PM
There's the rub. I don't believe it is incumbent upon the referee to check that a player is in compliance with the laws, with the obvious exception of checking boots to avoid injury to other players.

Surely the officials could do it at the same time as they are checking that the players have removed all of their jewellery.

haagsehibby
24-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I would have thought the ref could card them for persistent fouling if they really wanted to.

No, I don't believe he could, since it's not considered foul play and only results in an indirect free kick.

judas
24-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Personally, I think all decisions should receive a good 'willie-ing' prior to approval.

Is there anyone on the board at Aberdeen with the name Bob? If so he could step in a subject decsions to the boabie factor, or give them a good boabying, in willies absence.

Speedway
24-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Personally, I think all decisions should receive a good 'willie-ing' prior to approval.

Is there anyone on the board at Aberdeen with the name Bob? If so he could step in a subject decsions to the boabie factor, or give them a good boabying, in willies absence.

This could set a standard for Scottish Football to meet. An approved yellow card could earn a ref one thumbs up (or Willie Up) and an approved red card could earn two Willies up.

Refs could be renamed Willies and any dispute could be refered to a board of Willies at the SFA.

There could even be a Willie Brand and refs could compete to get the most Willies and thereby stake their claim for Willie of the year.

Hang on, isn't that scheme currently in place?

Part/Time Supporter
24-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Jeez - what a F**gin :trumpet:

How Miller the brass neck to still be going on about the red cards at ER is amazing - Maguire's in particular was a potential ankle breaker and more than fully deserved an instant red.

Ironically, I have sympathy for the guy who got sent off for celebrating his new born baby - it just goes to show how cock eyed some of the rules of the game are - it's supposed to be entertainment afterall, yet players can be sent off just for showing a bit of exuberance in celebrating a goal :crazy:

Funny how Kevin McBride has been carrying an ankle injury ever since and had to be substituted early on against St. Mirren. I don't suppose that had anything to do with Maguire's perfectly fair challenge.

:rolleyes:

Broken Gnome
24-11-2009, 12:58 PM
The common sense argument doesn't really wash considering it's not only Aberdeen's interests at heart. If McDonald hadn't being booked again, instead of properly applying the rules no matter how daft, do Motherwell not have a greater complaint?

And how have they still not been charged for taking the huff after the Hibs game?!? That genuinely annoys me. I can't think of as blatant a case of disrepute that hasn't been taken further.

JimBHibees
24-11-2009, 01:14 PM
FH - Miller and McGhee aren't happy with the decision. They're NEVER happy with any decision that goes against the Dons. They're the bifurcated epitome of the Professional Whinger.

Miller's trying to make sure that any player from now on who pulls his shirt over his head will be booked.

He's probably trying to get the ET advert banned all over again.

But TBF - McGhee never once pulled HIS shirt over his head - he couldnae get it up ower his fat belly. Miller was too busy ranting. :grr:

Did someone not once say that if football had the rugby rule of being marched back 10 yards for dissent Willie Miller would have played most of his football in the Norway. :greengrin

Why is he not being pulled up for the constant barrage he is giving refs?

Can see the away game just before Xmas getting a bit tasty to be honest.

poolman
24-11-2009, 01:24 PM

That so-called management team of Miller ( director of football:rolleyes:) or in other words the SFA rulemaker and Mcgee (manager) or in other words a ****in knobend really take the term "toys oot the pram" to a new level

The whole scenario at ER after the game with their whining and bleating even after TV completely proved the sendings-off and IM's tackle were perfectly legitimate was unbelievable

Horrible, horrible club

heretoday
24-11-2009, 01:46 PM
He seems to have acquired the less appealing aspects of Sir Alex without the more successful ones.

--------
24-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Ignorance of the law isn't a viable defence in any court I know.

Part of being a professional is knowing the rules of the game you're supposed to be professional at playing.

Part of being a professional coach/manager is making sure your players know the rules - that's assuming, of course, that the manager/coach knows the rules himself.

I'd be cheesed off if a Hibs player was cautioned or sent off and it turned out he didn't know the partucular rule or law he'd broken, but I wouldn't blame the referee; I'd blame the player himself and the manager.

--------
24-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Did someone not once say that if football had the rugby rule of being marched back 10 yards for dissent Willie Miller would have played most of his football in the Norway. :greengrin

Why is he not being pulled up for the constant barrage he is giving refs?

Can see the away game just before Xmas getting a bit tasty to be honest.

Someone did indeed, Jim. I think it might have been a senior referee....

I have two friends who referee at Grade 2 level - mostly in the Juniors. The amount of abuse they have to take is unbelievable - from fans, from players, from managers.

Thye've been threatened with violence; they've been actually assaulted - one of them went back to the dressingroom after a game to find someone had dumped all his gear in the shower and turned the water on. They've had their cars' tyres deflated (they now carry foot-pumps in the boot); they've had tyres slashed in the club carparks; smetimes they have to get the association in to even be paid their fees.

Which leaves me in no doubt as to why Scottish football is suffering from a scarcity of referees and match officials. And then you gtet balloons like Miller and McGhee giving them a hard time....

haagsehibby
24-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Ignorance of the law isn't a viable defence in any court I know.

Part of being a professional is knowing the rules of the game you're supposed to be professional at playing.

Part of being a professional coach/manager is making sure your players know the rules - that's assuming, of course, that the manager/coach knows the rules himself.

I'd be cheesed off if a Hibs player was cautioned or sent off and it turned out he didn't know the partucular rule or law he'd broken, but I wouldn't blame the referee; I'd blame the player himself and the manager.

I agree completely. That's what I meant, i.e. that the miscreant be cautioned, not that he should be let off owing to ignorance, but reading it back I see that you could have inferred it in the way you did. (Note to self - Be more clear and precise in missives to hibs.net)

poolman
24-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Someone did indeed, Jim. I think it might have been a senior referee....

I have two friends who referee at Grade 2 level - mostly in the Juniors. The amount of abuse they have to take is unbelievable - from fans, from players, from managers.

Thye've been threatened with violence; they've been actually assaulted - one of them went back to the dressingroom after a game to find someone had dumped all his gear in the shower and turned the water on. They've had their cars' tyres deflated (they now carry foot-pumps in the boot); they've had tyres slashed in the club carparks; smetimes they have to get the association in to even be paid their fees.

Which leaves me in no doubt as to why Scottish football is suffering from a scarcity of referees and match officials. And then you gtet balloons like Miller and McGhee giving them a hard time....

Thats actually despicable to do that to guys who are probably doing it just for the love of the game

And a few wee extra pounds as well :wink:

But all the same no wonder its hard to recruit guys into refereeing :bitchy:

Spike Mandela
24-11-2009, 04:44 PM
We can expect the Whinging to ramp up in the build up to the Pittodrie game on Dec 19th and a fair bit of twisted retribution being dished out.

a) I hope Yogi handles it in the right manner and prepares the players for provocation from media, players and fans. Hopefully he will use it as a tool to motivate.

b) I hope we have a referee who doesn't bow to Willii Miller/dons pressure. I know I would be quite the reverse if I was a referee and read his mutterings

and..........

C) I hope we ram it right up Miller and McGhee's moaning ***** and beat them well out of sight.

--------
24-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats actually despicable to do that to guys who are probably doing it just for the love of the game

And a few wee extra pounds as well :wink:

But all the same no wonder its hard to recruit guys into refereeing :bitchy:

I get as frustrated as anyone at times at some of the decisions referees come out with in the SPL, but since getting to know these guys I have a great deal more sympathy for referees generally.

What seems most unpleasant about this business with Aberdeen is that we have a club as a club yelling loudly about decisions which in every case can be proved to be entirely correct.

McGhee and Miller need to sit down with the Aberdeen players and make sure that they ALL know the laws of the game and that they WILL be held accountable if they get themselves booked or sent off as stupidly or irresponsibly as Maguire, Ross and MacDonald have managed to do.

But knowing them, they'll simply continue to whinge about refereeing decisions in the hope that referees will eventually get tired of the hassle and leave them alone.

Of course, there's always the chance that someone'll decide some day to give the moaning twonks something to REALLY complain about. 4 reds and 10 yellows plus a red each for the manager and assistant manager?

HibbyAndy
24-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I actually liked WM..was a very tough tackling solid right back.

lapsedhibee
24-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I get as frustrated as anyone at times at some of the decisions referees come out with in the SPL, but since getting to know these guys I have a great deal more sympathy for referees generally.

What seems most unpleasant about this business with Aberdeen is that we have a club as a club yelling loudly about decisions which in every case can be proved to be entirely correct.

McGhee and Miller need to sit down with the Aberdeen players and make sure that they ALL know the laws of the game and that they WILL be held accountable if they get themselves booked or sent off as stupidly or irresponsibly as Maguire, Ross and MacDonald have managed to do.

But knowing them, they'll simply continue to whinge about refereeing decisions in the hope that referees will eventually get tired of the hassle and leave them alone.

Of course, there's always the chance that someone'll decide some day to give the moaning twonks something to REALLY complain about. 4 reds and 10 yellows plus a red each for the manager and assistant manager?

Can't believe that Miller is stupid enough to really believe what he's been telling the meeja, so assume that he's trying to recreate the spirit of the 80s at Todders, when Fergie famously whipped up a 'siege mentality' to strengthen the club.

poolman
24-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Saturday 19th December would be a good day :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-11-2009, 07:10 PM
:violin:

Just to get things straight. McEgo said previously, that when you take the goals out, Aberdeen are winning the remainder of the game. That's a feeble attempt to gloss over the fact that they are getting beat quite often. Miller says. now all the refs have got it in for them? Nah. Just an " employee" who was complicit in firing the two Jimmys now needing to cover his own ersse.:asshole:

BSEJVT
25-11-2009, 07:05 AM
There fixed that thread title for you

marinello59
25-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Can't believe that Miller is stupid enough to really believe what he's been telling the meeja, so assume that he's trying to recreate the spirit of the 80s at Todders, when Fergie famously whipped up a 'siege mentality' to strengthen the club.

The difference being then that the Dons could play a bit back then. WM is just trying to deflect attention from the fact that the club he is supposed to be driving forward for is taking the same slippery downward slope that his chippy did.