PDA

View Full Version : Were you brought up as a Hibs fan?

Mag7
23-11-2009, 11:07 PM
How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families? I'd imagine the majority of our support were, but there must be a fair number who came to the club in other ways. A couple of my mates are from long-standing Hearts-supporting families, but saw the light early and choose the one true path. Not sure how I'd feel if my kids decided to support Hearts! Fortunately they seem pretty well cemented in the Hibs way.

Away from the family influence, how many of us were introduced to Hibs through friends? Any other ways in which folk have come to be Hibs fans?

down-the-slope
23-11-2009, 11:17 PM
How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families? I'd imagine the majority of our support were, but there must be a fair number who came to the club in other ways. A couple of my mates are from long-standing Hearts-supporting families, but saw the light early and choose the one true path. Not sure how I'd feel if my kids decided to support Hearts! Fortunately they seem pretty well cemented in the Hibs way.

Away from the family influence, how many of us were introduced to Hibs through friends? Any other ways in which folk have come to be Hibs fans?

nope..used to watch Raith Rovers until about 16 (come from fife origionaly) Went to a couple of Hearts and Hibs matches in the early 80's (after moving to Edinburgh at age 13) and of course made the correct choice:greengrin

Billychaotic182
23-11-2009, 11:18 PM
My mum got me rangers tops when i was little but my sister married a Hibs fan and he took me to my 1st game when i was like 13. Was never into football growing up. then this game changed me

It was the semi vs Livi we won 3 nil and i have had a season ticket ever since. Am more into football now than anything else. Funny how things change

Peevemor
23-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Yes.

Alicky Ranks
23-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Nope, started to get into Hibs after they came to Somerset Park and won en route to the Skol Cup in 1991.

As an aside, can you imagine ANYONE actively CHOOSING to support Hearts these days unless they were born into it?! They just ain't a proper football club any more. No soul, no nothing. The fans they do have must only go along because they haven't yet worked out a way to fill the void left by what was once a proper football club. A w**k club but a football club nonetheless.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Apparently one of my first ever words was "Hibees".

So that'll be a yes for me then! :greengrin

I'm only a second generation Hibs fan, though, and only three people in my family actually support Hibs.

The rest of my close family don't really have a team, they take an interest in the Hibs results but they don't support them.

Quite a few of my distant relatives are Rangers fans, although I'm not sure if they actually go to see them. :grr:

wazoo1875
23-11-2009, 11:30 PM
How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families?

Yes , i was , although my dad made his own choice having went to ER one week and Crimecastle the next .
Easy choice for him really :agree:

Calvin
23-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I wasn't into sports at a young age as I was perfectly happy with reading books and my Dad worked offshore and wasn't a big fan so even when he was at home I didn't encounter sports.

When I reached the age of about 7 most of the boys in the year started playing for Longniddry Villa and my Mum decided that it would be a good idea if I was to play as well as it might help me make some friends. This didn't work as I have absolutely no natural talent whatsoever in regard to any sport but it was how I discovered such a mesmerising game.

So I eased myself into football with Manchester United. My Mum had my two younger sisters to take care of and my Dad was offshore half the time so Man Utd was the choice because it was easy. Loads of books available on them, a monthly video review, a monthly magazine in the shops, kits in all the sports shops - it was the convenient choice. So I studied the books I was given, including one on the complete history of Manchester United, starting way back when they were Newton Heath. It contained a list of every player to play for the club and I'm confident that I could have got a perfect Mastermind score aged 9 with the subject being 'The History of Manchester United Players.' It really was an obsession and that got me sunk right into the sport.

However I realised that this was an untenable position. Manchester United was certainly an interest but true football fans went to the games and this wasn't possible with Man Utd. So in my mind, the choice was clear. I had to support Hibernian or Heart of Midlothian. Although not a big football fan, my Grandad was a Hearts man so I assumed that would be the team for me but there was just something about them that didn't seem right.

The final decider of which team I was to support for the rest of my life came at my 9th birthday party at Megabowl at Kinnaird Park. My Mum didn't know whether to get me a Hibs or Hearts birthday cake so she took a punt. Thankfully I saw the beer bottle badge on my cake that day.

I couldn't really get properly into Hibs because I could only attend matches sporadically due to my Dad's rotas, and it was a twist of luck that resulted in my whole family now being Hibees. My Gran jokingly offered to take me to a match - I didn't realise the joke and took her up on the offer. Credit to her she followed through with it and we went to a fantastic game of football. We both got in free as she was disabled and I counted as her carer, it was perfect. So at the grand old age of 58 she went to her first Hibs game and the number she has missed since, you could count on one hand.

As a result my Dad got a season ticket with us that he uses when he's onshore and my uncle uses at other times, and as I'm now up in Aberdeen my two sisters are in on the act using my ticket when I can't go and even my previously Jambo Grandad has caught the bug and sneaks along whenever he can.

I couldn't imagine it any other way!

Bayern Bru
23-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah. Although I used to wind my dad up by name dropping Rangers every now and then, and being the diplomatic wee soul I was (aged about, 17-18:greengrin well, 4-5), the correct answer to 'what football team do you support?' was always Celtic, Aberdeen, and Hibs!

In all seriousness though, my first game was against Killie in Tommy Burns' last game and there was only ever one team for me after that! :wink:

brydekirk
23-11-2009, 11:41 PM
was never really into football. my son came home from school one day and told me he was a hibs supporter. as u do, i started taking him to the games. this was the year we got relegated. never looked back. see u all on Saturday.:thumbsup:

Woody1985
23-11-2009, 11:52 PM
I live with my mum, gran and granda. My granda brought me up to support Hibs. My mum supported Rangers when she was wee but doesn't have any interest in football now.

I've got two aunts and 3 uncles. 2 uncles support Hearts, 1 supports Hibs. 1 aunt support Hibs and the other aunt doesn't support anyone.

Mine are pretty split down the middle. My first game was a 2-2 vs St Johnstone and I was in the FF right behind the goals. Think I was around 10.

Dunbar Hibee
24-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes, went to my first game when i was 2 weeks old:thumbsup:

deek
24-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Yup, born and bred a Hibby. When I was a little one in the banana flats, when asked what team I support my answer was cibs. Obviously I don't remember saying this but I do have some very early pictures of me in my first full hibs strip with the 2 stripes down the shorts standing with one foot on what seemed like huge orange plastic football with the black panel outlines. Never knew anything else other than supporting them and always will.

monktonharp
24-11-2009, 12:29 AM
nah,not really although my Da and his bros were Hibs fans in their early years none of them took me to games. an uncle frae the other side took me to tynie a couple o' times but much to my disgrace I liked the huns until I was 14.having never been to Glesga,never mind Ibrox,I went to ER wi' school mates .the next week I was at Dens Park cheering on the Hibees:flag: that was a while ago:wink:

Kevvy1875
24-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, where do I start??? My old man is a Sellick armchair fan and put a Celtic top on me at about age 5. I am speaking the truth when I say it disgusted me and I hated wearing it(it was one of their away efforts....white with green pin stripes). At the same time I also got a Wolves top(they were in the old 4th div at the time). I loved the Wolves one as I thought it must be cool as it had the Wolves head on it:greengrin. Got a bit of a slagging for having that but I didnt care! Always had a look for the Wolves results ever since although I have went off them a little due to the Brown Trout.

My first team I would say I was a "fan" of was Aberdeen who were along with the Hunnery the best team in Scotland. Never actually went to a game likes! So it was me just being a wee glory hunter and saying I "support" the best team:faf:. Easy to see how kids who's Dad's dont take them to see the local team will almost always end up supporting whatever they see on the back page of the Tabloid or on the TV.

Luckily for me I was taken along to ER one day and witnessed a drab bore score with Dundee. I think a near miss by Houchen was about the nearest to a goal it came. Didnt matter though, I had got bitten by the bug and have been going to ER ever since and am proud to call my self a Hibby:agree:.

vahibbie
24-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Thankfully YES:thumbsup:
My Dad was the only Hibby in the Jambo infested family, even my brother is a Jambo.
TBF the first game he took me to was Hearts v HUNS at Tynie, next was Motherwell at ER. He let me make my own mind up...nae choice really:agree:

gilliecabbage
24-11-2009, 02:06 AM
all my familys hibbys apart from my fat ugly sister whos a hun!!!!!!
she had a season ticket with me and my dad when she was younger tho.but she only went for the pies!!!!!

well when she turned 13 or sumit she went thru to the weeg and does actually go to games weekly and takes my niece now and again although the wee yin does prefer goin to see the cabbage coz of the pies and pizza:faf:

legends of 73
24-11-2009, 02:49 AM
thankfully it's been hibs all the way for me my old man would have chucked me out if i came home saying i supported anyone else:thumbsup:

MacBean
24-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I was born into a big hibs family and had the hibs influence upon me from day one. I was born in Perth and obviously have a wee look out for St Johnstone as they would be my "local team" when i was young lad.

My brother on the other hand was brought up where we stay now near gorgie, and a large contingent of his friends are Hearts fans and he has had a "hearts influence" over him throughout his youth despite the strong Hibs contingent in the family. He defected over, and oh what a wonderful household it is especially when we have weekends like the one just passed!

Mag7
24-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Nope, started to get into Hibs after they came to Somerset Park and won en route to the Skol Cup in 1991.

As an aside, can you imagine ANYONE actively CHOOSING to support Hearts these days unless they were born into it?! They just ain't a proper football club any more. No soul, no nothing. The fans they do have must only go along because they haven't yet worked out a way to fill the void left by what was once a proper football club. A w**k club but a football club nonetheless.

:top marks

Dashing Bob S
24-11-2009, 08:44 AM
No, I came from a family of 'Murrayfield Yams', very much Hawrts fans and church-going Tories, though they would always choose the Scotland game if it clashed with the rugby. As a result (I was always blessed with a contrary nature), I grew up detesting Hearts, rugby, Christianity and the Conservative Party in roughly equal measures.

My father refused to take me to ER, though I went to several derbies with him and my two older Yammish brothers as a small boy, including a certain New Years Day '73, when I followed them home giggling at their stunned silence.

I fortunately had a neighbour who was a Hibs fan, and systematically befriended the family till they started taking me to Hibs. I went to a very posh school and there was only one other Hibs fan there, and we started going together, then I drifted into an alternative Hibernian family over the years.

Sadly, my own children have grown up in/around London, and Arsenal is their first choice, but my bombarding them with Hibs stuff and dragging them along to ER has ensured that Hibs are up there in their affections, and they have a grim view of Hearts and the OF.

tanfield
24-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Don't think say. Father had no real interest in football and mum came from Hearts family. My uncle who married my mums sister lived in Albion Terrace and took me to the games in the late 70's.

Can't remember if I was Hibs inclined before that. Do remember though that Erich Shaedler lived below me for a spell and I remember meeting him in the stair and letting him know that I had a bubble gum card of him (well these things are allowed when you are 6/7:greengrin).

CorrieHibs
24-11-2009, 08:56 AM
My Grandad was a hibs fan my uncles are Hibs fans on my mums side On my Dads side its all Hearts including him. He use to take me when i was younger :boo hoo:. Forunately for me my Uncle took me to Hibs games. I much preferred the green to the maroon and have never looked back. :thumbsup:

joe breezy
24-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Partick Thistle die hard till I was 15, the loneliness got too much for me

brog
24-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm fortunate enough to have Hibs connections from day one. My grandfather was born in same year as Hibs were founded, 1875 & was baptised by Cannon Hannan in St Pats church. I have my great grandparents' wedding certificate from 1873 signed by then Father Edward Hannan. I was born in St Mary's Street, 20 yards from where Hibs were formed so I guess my affiliations were pre-determined.
I'm proud to say however that my son who has lived in England since his 3rd birthday continues the tradition & my daughter is determined that her English born 2 year old will also stay in the Hibs family.
We've all suffered many heartaches along the way but my grandfather probably celebrated 2 Scottish Cup wins, my dad saw 3 league titles & the famous 5, I've seen 3 league cup wins & a certain 7-0 victory. Let's hope all future generations enjoy many more magic moments

Sylar
24-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Never really showed an interest in sport at a young age to be honest.

My uncle tried to get me into Rangers when I was young, taking me to my first ever football game at Ibrox (Rangers vs Falkirk). I got the bug for a wee while, going to 2 or 3 games, but quickly grew disillusioned with them. My mate at primary school was a Hearts fan, as was his dad, and I recall that one Saturday, his dad took us both to Tynecastle for Hearts vs Dundee United - I quite enjoyed the experience, so returned a couple of times, but got a little fed up after a while.

My dad helped with the development of the new Almondvale Stadium, and befriended one of the chief executives of the new Livingston FC. Through this work, he was granted free season tickets for a long period, as a thank you gesture from the club. As such, I followed Livingston from the 3rd division (their first game) to the dizzy heights of 3rd in the SPL, Europe and CIS Cup Glory (sorry). As the owners changed hands though, politics started creeping into the club, and scandal became more prevelant than football.

As I moved away from West Lothian to begin my period as a student in Dundee, I actually ended up getting a season ticket at Tannadice - it was £80 for the year as a student and meant I got football every other week. I went along and enjoyed it, but never really got into the United thing. I started reading Heartfelt around the same time and a large group of us wondered if we could support another team for a period. We ended up chosing our new teams, and I elected for Hibs - I came along to my first game, just after Christmas, around 3/4 years ago, for a Scottish Cup tie vs Arbroath. The football was scintillating, and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, despite attending on my own! Been hooked ever since, though football is still not the major sport in my life!

MM1973
24-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I liked football when I was younger and was, for my sins a Rangers Fan. Not supporter, because was never at any games.

However, when I met my husband and he took me to my first game at Easter Road which was the Hearts derby. I was hooked!

Bristolhibby
24-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I am third generation Hibs fan. My Granddad working on the railways in Leith Central station after the War. My dad and his four brothers are all Hibees, growing up in the Inch. Most of my cousins are Hibees. At some point or another my family have or still have five season ticket holders. However if you add up the Livi 2004 CIS Cup final Factor I would say that 12 of my family support Hibs. The only exception being my oldest Uncle who moved up to Aberdeen, his kids grew up with the dominating Aberdeen team of the 1980’s, so cant blame them for supporting their local (and good then) team). So a very Hibee family, my Dad moved down South to England in 1989 but every school holiday that we came back up to Edinburgh we (my brother and I) would be taken to ER to watch the Hibs. I have got more fervent as I have gotten older, regularly making trips up on my own, and making excuses why me and my Dad need to come up to Scotland. Have been to the Blackburn and Bolton games (being in England). Flew up for the Dundee Utd game, will be at ER on Saturday for the Falkirk game, and always come up on Boxing day to see the family and go to the game (on the Sunday this year Boo!).

The big question comes with my son. He is only one but being born down here I am all too aware of the draws of the Premier League, so when he is a little bit older I hope to take him to ER and give him the bug.

J

wazoo1875
24-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm fortunate enough to have Hibs connections from day one. My grandfather was born in same year as Hibs were founded, 1875 & was baptised by Cannon Hannan in St Pats church. I have my great grandparents' wedding certificate from 1873 signed by then Father Edward Hannan. I was born in St Mary's Street, 20 yards from where Hibs were formed so I guess my affiliations were pre-determined.
I'm proud to say however that my son who has lived in England since his 3rd birthday continues the tradition & my daughter is determined that her English born 2 year old will also stay in the Hibs family.
We've all suffered many heartaches along the way but my grandfather probably celebrated 2 Scottish Cup wins, my dad saw 3 league titles & the famous 5, I've seen 3 league cup wins & a certain 7-0 victory. Let's hope all future generations enjoy many more magic moments

Thats quite a story brog :top marks

mim
24-11-2009, 09:15 AM
A Leither, Hibby born and bred. Thanks Dad. :thumbsup:

It's funny how some others - not natural Hibbies like most of us - come into the family.

My young cousin was on a visit from Montrose. I took him to a game against Rangers. We got horsed 5-0, but he has been a Hibby ever since. :wink:

btw - for older members, the Rangers forward line that day was:

Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson

.......not too shabby.

I've no dea what the Hibs forward line was, tho. :wink:

Andy74
24-11-2009, 09:25 AM
No, born into a Hearts family, which i always thought strange as my Dad's family were a large catholic family from Pilton and only one of them supported Hibs. My Mum's family were also a large Catholic family from Leith and from Irish descent and they were mostly Jambos too!

Despite playing for Hearts my Dad didn't really try and make me a fan or anything and it wasn't until I went to primary school and received a Hibs top off a mate whos Grandad was manager at Lilywhites that I became hooked. It was the George Best Bukta top. My big sister took me to my first game in the top of old terrace, I think it was the first tom Hart trophy and we won 1-0 with a late goal.

To my Dad's credit he then started to take me to Hibs games in the old south stand. We lived next door to Tom O'Malley so he got me into the Hibs kids and I was a mascot for a friendly with QPR. I think we lost 3-2. My memory of that was Hibs wearing white away strips but half the team had white shorts on and the rest green! I've still got a photo of that somewhere! My Dad came on the pitch to take a picture and some Hibbys recognised him and shouted for that Hearts ba***** to be taken off the pitch!

jacomo
24-11-2009, 09:29 AM
No football support in my family, although we lived near Haymarket when I was small and Hearts were definitely the "local" team.

The maroon thing never appealed, though, and fortunately we moved closer to the port later on, giving me the opportunity I needed to choose the correct path! :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2009, 09:31 AM
With my grandparents coming from Leith there was a Hibs support there but not too sure if this included attending matches.

My dad liked a lot of sports but rugby and cricket more than football I suspect. He let me make my own mind up but there was always a background of Hibs.

At school (stockbridge) I can only recall one Jambo (she was related to Souness apparently) rest all Hibees. Secondary (Broughton) pretty much Hibees.

Went to my first game in 87. I donno about other generations but going along in the Miller era was an endurance test esp. with Hearts doing well and "those" runs.

A few Jambos tried to convert me during that season in 86 but I was never for turning - galling tho' it was to see the scores up on a vandalised garage door as I walked along Mayfield to play golf at Prestonfield. Every weekend another game another scoreline on the door. Funny how things turn out eh?! :greengrin

:notworthy:

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2009, 09:38 AM

Did you also put the idea of 100 years of Hibs to the author? guessing from username...?

hibbie02
24-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Nope. My family were from Sighthill and Stenhouse so you can imagine their maroon leanings.........

Fortunately my parents moved East and I was brought up in Windsor Street at the top of London Road. Close enough to hear the crowd at ER when Hibs scored (well you could back in the 60s).

Like the Dashing One, I too had to go to a posh school full of Jambos, but maintained my principles of supporting my local team, despite my family. My father never took me to a game and it was left to rogue Hibee uncles to take me to my first games. There are now 3 Hibees in the family (a cousin, my nephew and me).

Although my daughter is an Essex girl, she will be educated only in Hibs and West Ham. :greengrin

cleanyman
24-11-2009, 09:59 AM
No.
Born into a strong Old Firm supporting family, didnt really fancy any of them. Chose the Hibees and have never looked back.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-11-2009, 10:09 AM
100% on my Mothers side who all lived in Leith so there was never any doubt, my Dad or his family were not into to football but had a cousin on his side who was a yam but never went to any games...fud

Haymaker
24-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Although I was born in Aldershot, my dad firmly placed Hibs in my heart before I could do anything or know anything about it. Wouldnt have it any other way!

basehibby
24-11-2009, 10:46 AM
A Leither, Hibby born and bred. Thanks Dad. :thumbsup:

It's funny how some others - not natural Hibbies like most of us - come into the family.

.......... :wink:

:agree: It's great to read all these stories on here about how various folk have come to support the hibees.
I was fortunate to be brought up by my dad as a Hibee, although like DBS above I was dragged along to a few Rugby internationals as well (never the Yams though :bitchy:). But there was never any competition in it for me - once bitten forever smitten seems to be the way of it with Hibs - is it just me or is there something kind of special about Hibs which hooks people in and just never lets them go???

Barney McGrew
24-11-2009, 10:55 AM
My old man would have disowned me if I'd supported anyone else. He took me to my first match in the early 80's and I've had a season ever since.

My mrs also has a season after being bitten by the Hibees bug (even after her first game - the 4-0 loss at McDiarmid Park in the league cup in the late 90's), her wee brother is now a hibby, and you can guess which team my four year old daughter supports :greengrin

I can remember in a drunken haze of a discussion with my mates one night that one of them came out with the line 'you don't choose to be a hibee, the hibees choose you'.

There's definitely something in that :thumbsup:

Ritchie
24-11-2009, 10:56 AM
how i became a hibee is a strange childhood story which i wont be posting on here.....

im the only hibee in my family.

my dad's side are all jambos due to willie bauld :jamboak: being a relation.

my mums side are all from parkheed in glasgow so are all celtic daft.

in otherwords im the only half decent person in the Ritchie family. :greengrin

--------
24-11-2009, 10:57 AM
My father's family home was in Duke Street, a tenement flat just opposite Leith Academy. He was a Hibs supporter, as were all the rest of the men of the family who had any interest in football.

My mother's side were (and remain) unrepentant and unregenerate J***os - tbf they lived just off Dalry for many years - but the ones I've met were the sort of Jambos you never want to meet again, ever. (Unless, of course, the whistle's just blown on a Hibee derby triumph). I've spent my whole life fighting against the remnant of Jambogenetic threads in my DNA.

However, my father realised that a judicious application of the sight of a wee touch of Baker magic round about the time I went to Secondary School would do the trick. One sight of the Baker Boy and I was hooked for life. A clear case of Nurture overcoming genetics.

(Though sometimes I DO wonder whether he really did me a kindness....)

HIBEES 4 LIFE
24-11-2009, 11:04 AM
thankfully it's been hibs all the way for me my old man would have chucked me out if i came home saying i supported anyone else:thumbsup:

My old man genuinelly threatened this and i believed him.....so glad he did and so glad i listened.

Hibby 22 years and counting

Peevemor
24-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I know of a couple of Leith families (yams) who turned against Hibs en masse after Hibs voted against their inclusion in the league. Has anyone else come across this?

cwilliamson85
24-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Nope.
Dad and whole family are hearts fans. Dad took me to watch hearts play and then the following week took me to watch hibs play.

Done that for one month (2 games each) then decided to become a Hibs fan after than. It kills him when he has got to be me a top or when he bought me a season ticket.

He always goes into the Hibs shop wearing something maroon. IDIOT

brog
24-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Did you also put the idea of 100 years of Hibs to the author? guessing from username...?

I think Gerry was kind enough to suggest that in the foreword to his book. We spent many happy hours together poring over his research & it was tremendous to find the 2 historic Hibs trophies in St Pats church & to know they're now properly displayed.

hibsbollah
24-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I always liked football from a young age but never picked a team till in 1979 aged 8 i was taken to see Hearts play Morton (a home defeat in the rain) and Hibs play Partick Thistle at Easter Road (2-1 win, George Bests home debut).

The jambos really never stood a chance compared to Georgie's stardust-littered debut, I was a gloryhunting Hibby from then on:agree:

IWasThere2016
24-11-2009, 11:41 AM
No. Dad's a Huns/Pars fan - my gran was RC too! :confused:

I converted the brother at a young age, and the auldest son. The youngest will also be supporting Hibs :cool2:

Mon Dieu4
24-11-2009, 11:45 AM
My family are all from Leith and 4 generations of Hibs fans I never had a choice :faf:

Needless to say the 5th generation have not had a choice either & have been indoctored to the faith :thumbsup:

TamHibs
24-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I was brouht up a hibby. Most of my family are hibees except for a couple of hertz supporters and my auntitraves own to old trafford every other week for league games. She paid £750 for tht season ticket. Madness!

andudare2
24-11-2009, 12:02 PM
nah,not really although my Da and his bros were Hibs fans in their early years none of them took me to games. an uncle frae the other side took me to tynie a couple o' times but much to my disgrace I liked the huns until I was 14.having never been to Glesga,never mind Ibrox,I went to ER wi' school mates .the next week I was at Dens Park cheering on the Hibees:flag: that was a while ago:wink: your not wrong there mate:notworthy:

johnrebus
24-11-2009, 12:08 PM
No. No-one was interested in football in my family.

Wacthing a League Cup section tie V Huns ( Hibs won 3-2 ) I was impressed by the strip we wore - the white sleeves just looked so cool ( still do )

Not long after, on starting Secondary School, I discovered Alan Cousin was a teacher there and to see him in Hibs top or training gear on games days just confirmed that Hibs were special and different............,

Cousin himself was an academic, cerebral kind of guy, about as far removed from your average image of a professional footballer in Scotland as you could get. He made a name for himself with the great Dundee team of the early sixties, partnering the great Alan Gilzean. Sadly, his best days were long behind him by the time he reached Easter Road.

Being a Hibbie in such a Hun infested town as Alloa was no laughing matter and I retain a very serious dislike of this horrible football club ( Glasgow Rangers ) to this day. Sadly, I believe that Alloa is as bad as ever for its Old Firm inhabitants.

Er, thats enough for now I think................,

Hibernian till I die.

:greengrin

kenshrek
24-11-2009, 12:16 PM
My Dad and Grandad were Leith Athletic fans but they went bust in 1954 the year I was born. As we all lived in the same street near the Foot o the Walk, my big brother, cousins and me grew up as Hibs fans. Thank goodness we are all Leithers.

aljo7-0
24-11-2009, 12:27 PM
My Dad didn't really care abut football but Mum always supported Hibs. Ironically the first game I ever went to was at the PBS when a friend's Dad took us both. It must have ben 1974 as they were celebrating their Centenary and kicking balls into the crowd (before the game rather than just during it!). I remember coming away wholly unimpressed with Hearts and football as not only did the game finnish goal-less but I never got a ball either. 2 weeks later another (better as it soon became apparent) friend's Dad took me to my first Hibs game. It was against Alloa and we won 4 - 0 with Alan Gordon (my instantly assumed hero) scoring a hat trick and the love affair began........

Seveno
24-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Apart from giving me the middle names of 'Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull and Ormond', my Dad left it entirely up to me when it came to deciding which team to support.

I was lucky, my eldest Brother was christened 'Father Hannan' and that used to confuse the hell out of me.

It all worked out well though and the entire family are Hibby through and through. Even my Sister-in-Law has been to see our beloved team and can sing 'Sunshine on Leith'. Now the next generation is currently being indoctrinated.

As for the other lot, surely Child Protection Laws should prevent anyone under the age of 16 being taken to the PBS.

MSK
24-11-2009, 12:33 PM
My Dad & his side were all jambo's but fortunately he was at sea in the Merchant Navy & the rest of his side lived in Wishaw so there was no yam there to get their claws into me & my big Bro ...:jamboak:

After a spell in Glenrothes & Leith we moved to Bingham..closer to my hibbie loving Uncles from my Mums side Pete & Eddie ..Eddie was in the Army & missed his beloved hibs & as soon as he was signed out he took me & my big Bro to many games ..home & away ..if he wasnt available he made sure my Uncle Pete was there to keep up the shift !!! :notworthy:

By the time my Dad finished at sea me & my Bro were fully fledged hibernian foot soldiers often travelling to away games on the Libby travel or by football specials ..:flag:

I cant honestly remember my Dad's reaction at the time but im sure i remember my Mum telling me that he was happy that we at least chose an Edinburgh team to support as opposed to bile Brothers out West...:thumbsup:

TrinityHibs
24-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Nope. QOS although my father did have Celtc leanings. His view that he wisnae a bigot was backed up by the view that he didn't care who beat the Huns

I did possess a Hibs top when I was about 10 but the cause of my current predicament was my son who at the age of 6 went to his first ever football match Hibs Hertz. He was warned about the language befoe he went. It was 1-1 and apparently Herats equaliser was the signal for everyone to use the F word. Nothing much has changed. Anyway 10 years on, 6 of which have been with a season ticket, I am still loving the rollercoaster that is Hibs. Still look out for the Queens though

Oscar T Grouch
24-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Right, I'm gonna come oot wi my dark secret and shame:boo hoo:

My dad was a Jambo (still is by all accounts) he left my mum before I was born and has never really been in contact with me or my sister since (sorry he was contacted by my sister when she knew my niece was going to be born, he came to see her 6 WEEKS after she was born, he's not seen her since.)

This is the reason I can never and never will like yams. My step dad was a Hibee, but he was a wife beater and a complete cock but did take me to see George Best play for the Hibs when I was a young laddie. So I turned to my mums family for my early football influence, they were an irish immigrant family that settled in Paisley, so for most of my life I have "supported" the Smellies. I never got into going to the football through west, couldnt' really find a decent celtic fan to go with!!!

I always had a soft spot for Hibs and 5 years ago I started going to the games with my wee mate Graham (Born and bred Hibee). I have never looked back since. I have had a season ticket since then and I never plan not to go. I am a mental Hibee now til I die, I just have to put up wi my hun mates reminding me of my dodgy past. I now have a healthy hatred of both old firm teams and the yams. I have been accepted by all the Hibees I have told about my past, I have seen the light and it's the TRUE green and white.

GGTTH

PS I feel good getting that off my chest:wink:

cheltenhamhibee
24-11-2009, 12:50 PM
born a hibby, will die a hibby:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CMac1988
24-11-2009, 12:56 PM
My dad, his brothers, and their dad are all avid Hibs fans so I was always a hibby growing up. My mum's side are all fans of the 'Big team' across the pond but she's always been a hibby thanks to my dad.

Anyhoo ive never even considered supporting another team and love my team to bits. Just grabbed one of those 1/2 season tickets with my brother and dad as I've not had one these past few years. Always used moving out of edinburgh, and poor performances as an excuse, even though I still popped along to as many games as I could. Guess this seasons given me more than enough of a reason to return on a regular basis.

For as long as I have green and white blood flowing through my veins, I'll be a Hibee til I die! :agree:

dangermouse
24-11-2009, 02:31 PM
My father, from a Hearts supporting family, was an egg chaser then turned to golf so I never got taken to the football (thank goodness). At school everyone and their dog supported Celtic (9 in a row era) apart from my best pal who helped tease me away from the filth (although the cup win in 1972 may have had something to do with it the glory hunter that I am :greengrin).

Supported the cabbage ever since and brought my kids up to do the same. Have a die hard hibee daughter, a young son who is a season ticket holder and an older son who has supported more teams than pounds Hearts are in debt, but currently following the Arabs as he lives and works in Dundee.

blueisthecolour
24-11-2009, 03:13 PM

My uncle tried to get me into Rangers when I was young, taking me to my first ever football game at Ibrox (Rangers vs Falkirk). I got the bug for a wee while, going to 2 or 3 games, but quickly grew disillusioned with them. My mate at primary school was a Hearts fan, as was his dad, and I recall that one Saturday, his dad took us both to Tynecastle for Hearts vs Dundee United - I quite enjoyed the experience, so returned a couple of times, but got a little fed up after a while.

My dad helped with the development of the new Almondvale Stadium, and befriended one of the chief executives of the new Livingston FC. Through this work, he was granted free season tickets for a long period, as a thank you gesture from the club. As such, I followed Livingston from the 3rd division (their first game) to the dizzy heights of 3rd in the SPL, Europe and CIS Cup Glory (sorry). As the owners changed hands though, politics started creeping into the club, and scandal became more prevelant than football.

As I moved away from West Lothian to begin my period as a student in Dundee, I actually ended up getting a season ticket at Tannadice - it was £80 for the year as a student and meant I got football every other week. I went along and enjoyed it, but never really got into the United thing. I started reading Heartfelt around the same time and a large group of us wondered if we could support another team for a period. We ended up chosing our new teams, and I elected for Hibs - I came along to my first game, just after Christmas, around 3/4 years ago, for a Scottish Cup tie vs Arbroath. The football was scintillating, and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, despite attending on my own! Been hooked ever since, though football is still not the major sport in my life!

That's some story, Rangers,Hearts,Livingston,Dundee utd,Hibs, I will guess Hamilton is next for you:wink:

heretoday
24-11-2009, 03:42 PM
My dad used to take me to ER one week and Tynie the next - whoever was playing at home. I have to say that Tynecastle in those days had a deal more atmosphere and better pies too!

We also used to jump in the car and travel to games all over Central Scotland, including Glasgow, sometimes in midweek.

We saw some great matches - Falkirk 6 Celtic 2 (Johnny Graham hattrick), Rangers 5 Motherwell 1 (Ralph Brand, Baxter etc). We were just crazy about football.

Holidays down south would see us taking in 3 or 4 games a week at London grounds or along the South coast. I saw a Greaves hattrick, a young Georgie Best, Channon, Wagstaff, Osgood etc.

I was always looking out for the Hibs score though!

New Corrie
24-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Father...Egg Chaser

Mother...Doonhamer

Me, well I went to prep school at the other end of town and could see the stadium from the bus, I thought, I need to be there, persuaded my Dad to start taking me and have been going ever since. I had a school job at ER in the 70's and was brought up around all the players of the period. My son is a Hibs Kid my ex Wife is a Hibby, but as i've said before, there are a few Huns in the family aswell (Ayrshire mining communities) and all that. Not a Tim or a Yam anywhere in the family (thank goodness).

James.
24-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Come from a Celtic supporting family (although my Gran supports the Harry Wrags) I made the choice to follow Hibs when I was about 7 or 8, think I just wanted to be different from all my old firm supporting mates. Never met another Hibby down this way in my 16 years of supporting the Hibees.

ArabHibee
24-11-2009, 05:23 PM
all my familys hibbys apart from my fat ugly sister whos a hun!!!!!!
she had a season ticket with me and my dad when she was younger tho.but she only went for the pies!!!!!

well when she turned 13 or sumit she went thru to the weeg and does actually go to games weekly and takes my niece now and again although the wee yin does prefer goin to see the cabbage coz of the pies and pizza:faf:

Wow - a whole lot of family loving going on there!:greengrin

HibeeUnderwood
24-11-2009, 05:26 PM
My family generally isn't football crazy, but my uncle is a Hibs fan so he taught me the Hibby way and I have not regretted the move :thumbsup:

If I have kids then they will all be forced to support the mighty cabbbage! :agree:

Can't have them turning to the dark side and supporting hertz, they would be in severe trouble if they did! :greengrin

down-the-slope
24-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Admin...can we get a wee sticky on this as its interesting in the extreme and may even need to go in the vault?

hibbymark
24-11-2009, 06:42 PM
My dad has never been a huge fitba fan but my mums family were all
hibees and my papa was a hibs scout so im glad i never knew any way but the hibs way!:thumbsup:

monktonharp
24-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Come from a Celtic supporting family (although my Gran supports the Harry Wrags) I made the choice to follow Hibs when I was about 7 or 8, think I just wanted to be different from all my old firm supporting mates. Never met another Hibby down this way in my 16 years of supporting the Hibees.top marks to you sir. I worked with loads o' Ayrshire men over the years(mining). they were either Kello Rovers or Muirkirk fans,but their big team was always der hun!

heidtheba
24-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Interesting thread, wasn't at all interested in football as a kid. Collected the Pannini 83 album of stickers only cos everyone else did...got a whole pile of 'doublers' - including the shiny liverpool badge (!) for my sticker of Pat Bonner. Cheered Kenny Dalglish on in the 86 world cup (because every one else was watching it and he was the only player I knew...didnt find out he wasn't even there until I got interested properly!).
Mate took me to Hibs v Rangers in 92/93 and although we lost it was a 3-4 game. Cracking stuff and loved the crowds reaction more than anything else ("Hately yer ugly put a bag ower yer pus" was my fave).
Got a season ticket 93/94 and 94/95 although haven't been to a match recently as my wifes a kiwi and more of a rugby fan.

Ray_
24-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Both parents had no interest in football as they both supported Hearts, had to thank my school pals at Towerbank for putting me right, before my late dad could corrupt me.

LancashireHibby
24-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm what you might call a "tourist" Hibby. My family isn't a particularly 'sporting' one, though my mum used to watch Charlton and Millwall when she was growing up in London in the 50's & 60's, and my dad keeps an eye out for Huddersfield Town results because of family connections.

Our neighbours and school friends were all big rugby league fans (suppose it's natural, given the territory) so my brother and I have been watching Leigh RL since 1992, and now that we both have kids are bringing up the little ones in the manner (despite their mother's supporting W*gan and Bradford respectively).

Got in to Hibs when going for a long weekend in Edinburgh during the school holidays in what must have been 1994/95ish, going up to the Observatory and seeing Easter Road; asked my dad who plays there, he figured it must be Hibs and it all began from there!

Had mates at school and when I played football who were Bolton fans, so I was a season ticket from being 10 years old up until starting work 5 years ago. Still go occasionally, but the fact that I've been a) been to more Hibs games this year than Bolton ones and b) my presence in the away end at the Reebok for the Hibs friendly says it all!

Although it's inevitable that my two year old will have advances from W*gan, Man Utd and the like, I'm more than happy for him to have an English team (as long as it's Bolton!) but the sheer amount of Hibs stuff that he and his cousin have means they will be doing well to avoid being dragged kicking and screaming to ER when they're a little older.

YehButNoBut
24-11-2009, 07:29 PM
My dad and his dad are Leithers and I was taken to see Hibs as a young kid and have been hooked ever since.

Early memories are of getting lift overs and players such as Eric Stevenson, Pat Quinn, Peter Cormack & Colin Stein (shows my age). I used to like standing at the front of the top part of the main terracing as you got a good view from there if you were a small kid.

Funnily enough my brother started off the same but ended up a Jambo when he went to school as most of his mates were Hearts fans. :idiot:

Sylar
24-11-2009, 08:03 PM
That's some story, Rangers,Hearts,Livingston,Dundee utd,Hibs, I will guess Hamilton is next for you:wink:

I think I've settled slightly now, but I don't think I fit the mould of "club fan" yet - I'm just a fan of football, first and foremost. I enjoy the general atmosphere of being at games, with friends/family, and the team I watch is by the way to be honest. I'm more interested in American Sports, and only there do I have a committed loyalty to particular teams.

I was at Ibrox back in April for the game vs Motherwell, as my inlaws are ST holders and took us to hospitality for my birthday, and had an absolutely superb time. We're going again on December 30th to the United game actually and no doubt I'll have a great time again (as the hospitality at Ibrox is superb!). My mate is an Aberdeen fan and I've been along to watch them with him a few times this season. So long as the company is good, I couldn't care less if it's another team than my own.

We've actually been trying to get around all of the grounds in Scotland in the last 2 seasons, and it's an experience I've really enjoyed, getting to all the grounds and seeing different teams, experiencing different days out and watching all different types of teams.

Hibs are the only team I've seen with any regularity this year though (4 times this season) and the only team I actively cheer on!

weecounty hibby
24-11-2009, 08:50 PM
My grandparents moved to Alloa from Turriff during the war. After the war the Hibees were the team to watch and my grandpa regularly did. From there my uncles and mum went and one of my uncles hardly missed a game for years and then started to take me in the early seventies. Interesting to read about johnrebus and his experiences in Alloa. As I have said in threads in the past I was the only Hibby in a school of about 700 and it was hard work, with many fights along the way. I was actually very friendly with Alan Cousins son at school but even he wasn't a Hibs fan and preferred Dundee.
My kids have now also been brainwashed into the Hibee family ways.

ArabHibee
24-11-2009, 09:00 PM
No

wee 162
24-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Faithers family all Hibbies. Mums family all jambos (apart from one deliberately contrary auntie who is a Hibbie god bless her).

ER one week with my faither, Tynecastle the next with an uncle due to my mum working on Saturdays.

At any point I was asked up till the age of 4 who I supported the answer was "Scotland".

Then Christmas came. Got a new Hearts strip for Christmas from my uncle. Never used to go out on Christmas Day so the visit to the grandparents down the road was on Boxing Day. I got dressed in said new Hearts strip. My faither asked where I was going. "Nana and grandads" was the reply. "Well you're no walking down the street with me wearing that". So I got changed. Visited the grandparents. Came home. Got the Hearts strip out of the drawer it had been put away in. And unknown to parents proceeded to launch it down the chute. That was me, home and away from then onwards to watch the cabbage. Few months later my mum asked for the Hearts strip as it was pretty obvious I wouldn't be using it again so she could give it to someone at her work. Upon being informed that it went down the chute on Boxing Day she went absolutely nuts at me whilst my dad proceeded to completely pish himself laughing.

My dads story nowadays is that the complete emotional blackmail he put on me was irrelevant because I had always preferred ER due to a) being allowed to run about radge at ER, whilst I was planked on a crush barrier and continually fell asleep at Tynecastle b) his mates were all good guys who used to fill me with juice, crisps, and sweeties when watching Hibs whilst my uncles mates were "a shower of miserable barstewards". No quite so sure about that myself!

The conversation with my dad about going out with him wearing a Hearts strip is probably my earliest surviving memory tbh.

mrdependable
24-11-2009, 09:26 PM
No, like a few posters here i was brought up in a rugby family and went to a posh school.
I decided at 7 or 8 that i was a Hibs fan and that was it.
i found out many years later that on the day i was born we beat Hearts 4-0...so i reckon it was in the stars!

jdships
24-11-2009, 09:32 PM
My uncle was a goalkeeper with Hibs in the 1920's and it was therefore always going to be ER for me .
Two close and two distant rellies have kept up the connection right up to now !!!!!!:thumbsup:

:flag:

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 09:36 PM
My uncle was a goalkeeper with Hibs in the 1920's and it was therefore always going to be ER for me .
Two close and two distant rellies have kept up the connection right up to now !!!!!!:thumbsup:

Have you ever played for Hibs JD?

Aubenas
24-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Grandad arrived from Co Leitrim, via Brooklyn, in 1895. Opened grocer's shop in Buccleuch Street serving southside Irish. Family all supported Hibs: Uncle James played for Hibs in 1920s, dad lifelong supporter; uncle Frank emigrated to New York 1929 but such a Hibee all his life that his grandson on Long island still supports Hibs. We lived in Piershill, when Mum confined to bed when pregnant with me, Dad would open windows on way to game so she could hear the roar from Easter Rd as Hibs powered to the 1952 league title! Uncle James and Dad took me to first game - it was the New Year Derby in 1956, when I was nearly 4. Now my son is 4th generation to support the Cabbage.

So, yeh - bit of a HIbs supporting family.......:agree:

ArabHibee
24-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Launch that Hun/Yam/Livi/Arab fud!! :grr:

hibsbollah
24-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Grandad arrived from Co Leitrim, via Brooklyn, in 1895. Opened grocer's shop in Buccleuch Street serving southside Irish. Family all supported Hibs: Uncle James played for Hibs in 1920s, dad lifelong supporter; uncle Frank emigrated to New York 1929 but such a Hibee all his life that his grandson on Long island still supports Hibs. We lived in Piershill, when Mum confined to bed when pregnant with me, Dad would open windows on way to game so she could hear the roar from Easter Rd as Hibs powered to the 1952 league title! Uncle James and Dad took me to first game - it was the New Year Derby in 1956, when I was nearly 4. Now my son is 4th generation to support the Cabbage.

Thats a great story:agree:

The Harp
24-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Similar for me too. My grannie was born in the Cowgate two years before Hibs were founded. Hope my great grandfather (who came over from Co Monaghan) was involved in Hibs early days but as he was widowed just three months after my grannie was born, fitba may not have been high on his list of priorities, being left to bring up three kids on his own.
My Dad was an Evertonian but went along to watch Hibs when he moved up to Edinburgh and took me along at the age of 4. But it was my two older cousins who really got me into the Hibs (don't know whether to thank them or grab them by the throat). :wink:

jdships
24-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you ever played for Hibs JD?

I wish !!!
Sadly I was one of "the many" over the years who showed "great potential" at 16/18 and never improved.
I would never have made a Hibs 3rd XI
I was lucky enough to play on the hallowed turf twice : once against the "famous five" :thumbsup:
In later yearsI was told to look on that as " playing against the best of the best of the best " - wise words
It took all of three seasons for me to find out I wasn't good enough to be a professional footballer :greengrin

Memories are wonderful things at my age - you always wonder as to what might have been :wink:

down-the-slope
24-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I wonder how typical - or not - Hibs fans are but this snapshot shows there are almost as many 'converts' as those born and bred :rolleyes:

This shows that the Hibs Re-United effort should work as many with no previous affiliation or family connections (even worse relatives from the dark side) get hooked very quickly when introduced to the real deal

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish !!!
Sadly I was one of "the many" over the years who showed "great potential" at 16/18 and never improved.
I would never have made a Hibs 3rd XI
I was lucky enough to play on the hallowed turf twice : once against the "famous five" :thumbsup:
In later yearsI was told to look on that as " playing against the best of the best of the best " - wise words
It took all of three seasons for me to find out I wasn't good enough to be a professional footballer :greengrin

Memories are wonderful things at my age - you always wonder as to what might have been :wink:

You got closer than most of us ever will. :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2009, 10:06 PM
No Hibs background in my family either.

Lived in Leith until I was 7 and then moved to the Borders. I can remember singing a song about Willie Wallace ( Yams and then transferred to celtic I think ) being *****, So I guess I was a Hibby.

Then in 1967 it seemed like everybody including me all of a sudden became celtic fans.

This lasted until May 1975 when I was sitting watching the Scottish Cup final on T.V. ( Airdrie 1 celtic 3 ) and suddenly found myself willing Airdrie to get a goal. I realised then that I had no business supporting a non Edinburgh team no matter how successful and that I had to choose an Edinburgh team. Hibs was a no brainer coz I had lived in Leith.

I went to my first Hibs match in 1976 ( Hibs 1 Dundee Utd 2 ) and have never looked back. I am and always will be proud to be a hibby.

Currently working hard on my 7 year old nephew who I'm taking to his second match on Saturday.

P.S. ... Dont always read all of the posts on a big thread but this is brilliant. Would maybee even be a good idea for a book.

Sylar
24-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Launch that Hun/Yam/Livi/Arab fud!! :grr:

You can fall out with someone you know :greengrin :wink:

Mixu62
24-11-2009, 10:34 PM
No I wasn't. Was football daft and watched it on telly but was left to make up my own mind. An Celtic supporting uncle got us to support them for a while, but only on TV. Started going to see Hibs with my brother in the early 80's and just kept going back.

Bit tricky to get to games from here so I've started going to see Auckland City instead. It's not bad, but just not the same as Easter Road!!

The Harp Awakes
24-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Although I've been a Hibee for 36 years and an ST holder for 26 of those years, sadly I've not been a Hibee from birth:boo hoo:

Even though my Dad was a Hibee, my older sister brainwashed me into being a Celtic fan in my early years. The turning point for me was when I went along to a Hibs v Celtic match at Easter Road with my Dad in the mid 70's (IIRC). Celtic won 3-0 (Dixie Deans scored a hat-trick). Although happy my team had won, I could see the disappointment on my Dad's face and I didn't like it. Soon after that match I decided to become a Hibee myself. Glad to say that my sister saw the light not long after as well.

Gatecrasher
24-11-2009, 10:54 PM
i was but my dad ever forced it on me, because im livi born in bread my dad wanted me to make my own choice as long as it wasnt the OF.

iv been supporting hibs as long as i can remember and been a season ticket holder for well over a decade now

villager
24-11-2009, 11:53 PM
my family moved up to edinburgh in 72, when i was 3 wks old, from kent and had no interest in football whatsoever. dad has a picture of me after playing a winter game of mini rugby aged about 9. spotless! after disapointing him it was football, football, football where we grew up.

i think i'm not far off saying my generation growing up was the last to play football in the streets under the lights in the winter and till sunset at local parks at night in the summer.

it was with these kids i chose between hibs and hearts, no old firm fans unusually, all hibs or hearts. eric stevenson lived in our neighbourhood and we all looked up to him, but all the hibs boys who went to the games took me along and made me feel part of the hibs family from day one.

i was saying to a couple of those boys recently, who i still see, how gratefull i was that they took me along back in the day and how important the hibs are to us as a group of friends. they were like, good one, yeah, yeah and looked at me as if to say stop crying you girl.:rolleyes:

Kato
25-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Some of the stories on here are fabulous.

Anyway mines is a bit humdrum.

Dad and brother both supported Hibs although my old man had lapsed a bit due to work commitments and the fact that he never got over the break-up of the famous five. I remember loads of discussion between my mum and bro as to whether I was old enough "to go to a game", until finally one day, I was about 7 or 8, my brother was told to take me (hibs hearts 0-0 ER late 60's). He took me on the number 4 bus, walked me down ER, into the ground and parked me down at the wall behind the slope goal. "OK you know the way now, you can come yourself", he said and that was that, I "took myself" to most home games and countless away games ever since. Never really thought of as an option to support anyone else and never had any pressure to support Hibs, just loved it from the off. Early 70's team had a lot to do with that sense of splendour supporting Hibs and I learned to take the rough later in that decade. Found out as I grew older that both Grandads were Jambos and my Dad supported Hibs just to piss his dad off. His best mate from school was Willie Bauld, but he always stuck with the Hibs.

An Uncle, one of my dad's brothers, classes himself as a "Gordon Smith fan" he followed Hibs home and away to watch Smith, then subsequently followed Hearts and Dundee. When Smith had his amateur status returned he followed him watching amateur football. My mum supported Hibs as her favourite brother (out of 6 he was the only Hibby the rest being silly, silly Jambos) was Hibs daft.

I can't imagine supporting any other team to be honest and can't understand having a favourite "other team".

Nando™
25-11-2009, 02:18 AM
My dad never really gave me a choice, he's a good b*****d.

cabbageandribs1875
25-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Our neighbours and school friends were all big rugby league fans (suppose it's natural, given the territory) so my brother and I have been watching Leigh RL since 1992, and now that we both have kids are bringing up the little ones in the manner (despite their mother's supporting W*gan and Bradford respectively).

my brother in-law was born and bred in leigh and played for leigh RL, probably 30-odd years ago right enough :wink:

CB_NO3
25-11-2009, 04:27 AM
I was born a Hibs fan, my Dad took me to ER when I was 10 month old, I wonder if it is some sort of record for the youngest being a game at ER. My second game was when I was 2 and Andy Goram scored, I think it was against Morton but I may be wrong. Anyway I have never looked back since.:thumbsup:

Bayern Bru
25-11-2009, 05:58 AM
My dad has said a few times over the years that if I had ever decided to support a team other than Hibs, he'd have taken me to see them.

For some reason, I'm not convinced. :greengrin

The thing is though, and I think for a lot of people in similar positions, is that if Hibs is in your family, and you've got so many connections to it, you can't help but get drawn into it all. It feels 'right.' It feels like something natural that you can't ever imagine NOT being a big part of your life.

Noticing that some people saying that they attended many games before deciding on Hibs as their team got me thinking. I could never be a neutral football fan. I went to watch Livi play Ross County just before they were promoted to the SPL, and Livi won 3-0 I think (Aubenas might be able to correct me if his memory's better) and although they played well, I felt like I was cheating on my girlfriend by watching another club play.

It seems that if a team is in your family and has been for generations, there's no question of following another team. Having said that, some of the stories here are great, whatever the history e.g. Dashing Bob's, Brog's and jdships to name but a few.

jdships
25-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Thankyou very much :thumbsup:
I still pinch myself to think I was , albeit once, on the same pitch as these five guys .

Pat Stanton once said to me it was the next best thing to winning a medal to have played with/against that side !!

Am really enjoying this thread - almost like a social history !

Aubenas
25-11-2009, 09:55 AM
My uncle was a goalkeeper with Hibs in the 1920's

JDShips - what was your uncle's name - mine was Jimmy McPartlin and he had a few games on the wing in the 1925 season; wonder if they ever played together?

LancashireHibby
25-11-2009, 10:03 AM
my brother in-law was born and bred in leigh and played for leigh RL, probably 30-odd years ago right enough :wink:
Bit before my time, but small world all the same!

BSEJVT
25-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Born and bred a Hibby as is my brother and my two children and my wife!

Have enjoyed some success with missionary work in convering other folks and their children along the way, but the guy who said earlier that you dont choose hibs they choose you was spot on.

Funny thing is that there is often no zealot like a convert and that as you get older it means that much more.

anon1
25-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Nope. Born and bred Nottingham & a Forest fan for as long as I can remember. It just came naturally.

Moved to Leith in 2006 and also lived in Meadowbank for a year 08/09 & only really feel settled on the east side of town. Hence looking out for / going to watch Hibs.

I also follow Motherwell, it's refreshing to see a young seemingly honest manager in Gannon building a team from youth. Even though he persists with that useless lump Reynolds in defence!!

anon1
25-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Too right. I just haven't been scouted yet! Dont think they send many scouts around the Meadows! :greengrin

Ell_Chrisso
25-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Hate to say it, but i was a St Johnstone fan growing up in Perth.

My mum & dad are originally from Edinburgh, Most of my family is still there and most are Hibs fans, including my two closest cousins.

Dad doesn't really support a footy team, so just took me along to watch Saints as a young lad.

Was converted by my Uncle Kev, n Cus's after going along with them to a number of Hibs games, and enjoying the atmosphere etc more than in Perth. (and that was the season we got relegated!)

Joe's ice cream
25-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Born in Yorkshire, all my family are Leeds fans so they were my first games, moved to Edin when i was 16 due to my Dad's job and through a family friend went to my first game against Rangers..........that Souness game!! :thumbsup:

Hibs ever since

:greengrin:greengrin

Peevemor
25-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Hate to say it, but i was a St Johnstone fan growing up in Perth.

Nothing wrong with that.

Peevemor
25-11-2009, 11:10 AM
My dad was a Hibs fan from a Hibs family (although he sometimes also went to Tynie when Hibs were away). I don't know at what stage his family became involved with Hibs, but his grandmother darned/repaired the team's jerseys. My dad also had a sort of trial at Hibs after he was spotted playing for the Royal Signals team during his national service though nothing came of it.

My mum's from Forres so the Hibs and Mechanics scores were the ones we looked out for, but I was always a Hibee. I never made a decision or anything like that - I just was.

My dad took my brother, who is 7 years older than me, to his first game at ER when I was still a toddler. Unfortunately he had his collar bone broken in the crush going across the bridge after the game so my parents decided to wait until I was 'big' before I got to go, therefore I was 12/13 before I got my first sight of ER but I still remember the experience/impression like it was yesterday.

Ell_Chrisso
25-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

Yea i know. When your young, you don't have much choice. But you just enjoy being taken to any football you can go to.

Glad i decided to support what the majority of my family do tho, as iv ben thru a hell of alot of good/bad times with Hibs, and thats the thrills of being a Hibee.

James70
25-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Didn't have an affiliation to any team as a youngster though I can recall being able to name all of the Rangers team when I was aged about 8 or 9 circa 1960. My Grandad in Dundee went alternate weeks to watch Dundee or Utd and sometimes took me along. I remember having a soft spot for Dundee when they went to Ibrox and won convincingly, 5-1 I think, anyway Dundee won the league that season and were very successful in the European Cup the following season.

We went to live in Manchester for 6 years and from 1965-68 I went to most Man Utd home games with my school pals. Still have the autographs I collected one day when I cycled to Old Trafford to watch training.

Upon returning to Scotland I couldn't decide which team to go to watch but I noticed from a street map that Easter Road was easier to get to from my bus route.

And the rest as they say is history.

Erin Hibee
25-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Noboby in my family followed football, it wasnt until i went to St Patricks Primary in Drummond street that i met a few Hibees and that was me hooked:thumbsup:

andudare2
25-11-2009, 01:54 PM
born into the proverbial hibs daft family. thank ****!:notworthy:

MSK
25-11-2009, 01:57 PM
born into the proverbial hibs daft family. thank ****!:notworthy:I can vouch for that ..hows my auld pal Benny doing..may try grab a pint wi him at the end o the week ..:thumbsup:

Exiled Hibby
25-11-2009, 03:03 PM
My dad was a lapsed Falkirk fan - we had moved to Edinburgh when I was about 2. Of the Edinburgh teams he favoured the other lot because we lived within walking distance of Tynecastle.
My 2 brothers were and still are, Jambos, but being an awkward, arguementative wee git I demanded a Hibs strip from Santa at a very young age and never looked back. To be fair to my dad he took me to my first Hibs games until I was old enough to go with pals, but by then he secretly enjoyed watching the Tornadoes so really it was me educating him!!
Still no hope for the rest of the family and I also married into a family of Jambos so while the bad days can be very bad, I am loving life just now!!

blackhibee
25-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I can remember hating Hearts when I was about 4 (I'm 47 now), and that seemed to kick-start me into supporting Hibs. I can remember wee things, like the dog snarling whenever Hearts were on the telly in those days. Also, my dad and uncle were both Hibs fans, although my dad didn't go to the fitba latterly. He did however sack the babysitter because she and her boyfriend took me to a Hearts v Partick Thistle game!

StevieC
25-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I wasn't even brought up a football fan!!

Dad had no interest in football and mum kept her Newcastle allegiance pretty quiet in my early years.

First "best" friend was a Celtic supporter and could easily have been swayed towards them but too young to go to games.

Brought up in Corstorphine and I think most supported the team of maroon persuassion but never had any real influences to sway me in that direction.

At around 9 years old a classmate that lived a couple of streets away was meant to be going to a midweek Hibs game with his dad and I got invited along. As it happened something cropped up and his dad was unable to take him and it fell through. Luckily my mum didn't want to see me disappointed so she took me along instead and that, as they say, was that.

My parents split when I was about 11 and my dad re-married. My (Haddington based) half brothers, without any footballing influences from my dad, turned out to be Huns. Just goes to show how much of a lucky escape I had, thanks to my Newcastle supporting mum and her ability to team me up with a proper footballing institution.

:greengrin

The_Todd
25-11-2009, 04:14 PM
No.

My dad was a Celtic fan and that's the way Iw as brought up. However, it wasn't for me and I ended up supporting my grandad's team instead. Normality in the family was restored :wink:

Killiehibbie
25-11-2009, 04:24 PM

What Square did you live in? One of my earliest memories was of being in the backgreen at my Nanas and hearing an awfy roar and her telling me not to worry it's just The Hibs scoring another goal. You could hear the singing very clearly back then.

Stoney Hibee
25-11-2009, 04:26 PM
My dad was born in Elgin and would come down to see his sister, who lived just off leith Walk in the 1950's. they would go to games. I suppose you would not have wanted to watch anyone else during this period!

Anyway I never really gave it any thought to support anyone else. i went to games from the age of 5 and that was it really. looking back, as someone who was born and brought up in Aberdeen in the seventies and eighties, i am amazed I was not interested in following Aberdeen.

andudare2
25-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I can vouch for that ..hows my auld pal Benny doing..may try grab a pint wi him at the end o the week ..:thumbsup: he is doing fine. bit forgetfull but still manages the bookies & the jewel everyday, will start worrying about him when he forgets these places.:faf:

Brizo
25-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Family connection with the Hibs goes back to 1875. Come from a long line of Southside and Old Town Hibbies who were all born and lived within a few hundred yards from St Pats church and St Marys Street Halls until the 1970s when the suburbs beckoned or got decanted to schemes. Hibs was compulsory :greengrin. A couple of black sheep claim to follow the Hertz but theyre just deluded attention seekers.

MSK
25-11-2009, 05:06 PM
he is doing fine. bit forgetfull but still manages the bookies & the jewel everyday, will start worrying about him when he forgets these places.:faf:Still got his priorities right then ...:thumbsup:

down-the-slope
25-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Born in Yorkshire, all my family are Leeds fans so they were my first games, moved to Edin when i was 16 due to my Dad's job and through a family friend went to my first game against Rangers..........that Souness game!! :thumbsup:

Hibs ever since

:greengrin:greengrin

That is one of my all time favourite matches :greengrin. I doubt any first timer could resist the lure of Hibs if they were at that game.

Sas_The_Hibby
25-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Afraid I don't quite see how you're "born a Hibs fan", anymore than you're born a Christian or born a Labour voter. As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of free choice, when you're old enough to decide.

Frankly I'm a bit queezy about babies or toddlers put in a Hibs (or any other football) top. The message seems to be "you WILL like football and you WILL be a Hibs fan". :duck:

I don't think I ever put any pressure on my own son or daughter to either like football or support Hibs, though I was, naturally, pleased when they both chose to support Hibs at about the age of 7 or 8, and, no doubt, they were influenced by knowing I supported Hibs.

FWIW, my own experience was that my family moved to Edinburgh from England when I was a toddler. Neither of my parents supported any football team but my dad took me to Easter Road when I was 10, because it was the nearest ground to where we lived and the rest is history.

jakki
25-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Football was never spoken about when I was a kid although my Dad was a leither and Mum was born and raised in St Mary's Street.

I only got my interest in football watching the Old Kirk football team playing in the field opposite my house with my best friend and next door neighbour George (2 years younger than me) explaining all the rules. We then progressed to Ferranti Thistle.

One Saturday when I was 14, I was sitting on the outside steps of our stairs in West Pilton when George asked me if I had six pence which I had and it was off to ER on the no.1 bus. He taught me how to get a "lift over".

I was amazed at the size of the ground and terracing and loved the football. At half time, when we changed end, I bumped into my Dad, who turned out to be a Hibee!

The next Saturday my Dad asked me what I was doing and I said George and I were going to see the Hearts. Nothing more was said but the next Thursday he asked me if I was going to the Hibs game and I said "yes as they are more entertaining than that rubbish at Tynie" On the friday night he gave me my first Hibs scarf (Thursday was payday then) and it was only later in life that I realised the sacrifice he made to buy that scarf as money was really tight.

Since then I have been a Hibee and had many chats with dad about Hibs and his favourite player Lawrie Reilly. He would have been over the moon to look down on me chatting and getting my photos taken with Lawrie last year.

RIP Dad. That was a wonderful gesture buying that scarf for me :thumbsup:

ronaldo7
25-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Born in Elsie Inglis at Abbeyhill and stayed in the Horse Wynd in the auld Brewery houses. Dad was a big Hibby and always looked forward to the week ends. He used to go to the Lord Darnley before the games with his mates for a bevvy, and if we were lucky, we would get a juice and some crisps thrown out the door.

We used to play football on the Strand and make use of Lizzie's gates at the palace as the goals. That was until pc plod came down the Canongate when we would all run for cover.

Used to remember all these guys coming out of the Lord Darnley at the bottom of the Canongate on a Saturday, and making their way up Abbeymount and over the hill to the Holy ground.

We got drawn in with the crowd and got a lift over for my first game.

I remember getting a green track suit for my christmas and thinking I was the Bees knees. Although the TOP DOG boots she got me were more like Rugby boots, so I chucked them in the bin(I got battered for that).

Hibs were always our team, and always will be.

When it gets to 5 minutes before kick off, you just get a rush, knowing that their have been plenty before you, who would give their right arm to be there.

GGTTH:notworthy:

PatHead
25-11-2009, 08:43 PM
This is my first post so be gentle on the spelling etc.

I came from a family of 6 sons. All my brothers are Arabs due to my Grandad's influence. (He came from Dundee and they all still follow them). My Dad had been a Hibs supporter as a boy but had drifted from football as he was spoilt by the Famous 5. My gran's side were very Hibs being brought up in the Grassmarket and attending St Pat's. Her Uncle Mike was Mick Whelahan and my Dad's middle name was Stanton. She always used to say her mum helped to knit the teams socks and when Hibs first won the cup it was kept on the windowstill in the Grassmarket on the first night. Don't know if that is true or not.

Anyway I supported Hibs as my friends at school did and the team was a certain Turnbull's Tornadoes. Got my elder son his first season ticket at 1 and still get the other 3 for them now.

MSK
25-11-2009, 08:53 PM

I came from a family of 6 sons. All my brothers are Arabs due to my Grandad's influence. (He came from Dundee and they all still follow them). My Dad had been a Hibs supporter as a boy but had drifted from football as he was spoilt by the Famous 5. My gran's side were very Hibs being brought up in the Grassmarket and attending St Pat's. Her Uncle Mike was Mick Whelahan and my Dad's middle name was Stanton. She always used to say her mum helped to knit the teams socks and when Hibs first won the cup it was kept on the windowstill in the Grassmarket on the first night. Don't know if that is true or not.

Anyway I supported Hibs as my friends at school did and the team was a certain Turnbull's Tornadoes. Got my elder son his first season ticket at 1 and still get the other 3 for them now.Nice story ..welcome to hibs.net ..:hnet: ..:thumbsup:

fatbloke
25-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Grandfather - Hibby
Father - Hibby
3 brothers Hibbies
1 brother killie fan - have bumped into him twice since you now when - no congratulatory call either - er5e
1 son more interested in cars and girls (great song by the way) but i understand
1 daughter season ticket holder at ER
2 Grandkids both Hibbies.

Would not change anything in the 49 years i have watched them - except for a couple of SC wins and a semi defeat to the deluded chaps.

Proud to have been born a Hibby and will be proud to die a Hibby

GGTTH

The Harp
25-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Anyway I supported Hibs as my friends at school did and the team was a certain Turnbull's Tornadoes. Got my elder son his first season ticket at 1 and still get the other 3 for them now.

Sure you'll agree there's been some fascinating Hibs family histories on this thread, yours included. Makes you realise the Club is so much more than just a fitba club - it's been a way of life for so many folk down the years. Long may it continue.

hiberactive
25-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Family all hibbies-born in loch view court,went to st.patricks primary,surrounded by hibbies all my life.:wink:

PatHead
25-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for making me welcome. Known for a long time Hibs are nothing but a big family. Ye, we might disagree at times, but we all have a bond that draws us back together.:wink:

hibs0666
25-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I come from a Hibs-supporting family and grew up with stories of the Five and Joe Baker.

I was brought up in the main in Gorgie. My allegiance was already set before we moved to the area and never at any point wavered despite the proximity to Tynecastle - in fact the proximity probably had the opposite effect.

I grew up with a good squad of Hibbies from the area, and we - family and friends - remain as passionate about our club as we were all those years ago.

Johnny_Leith
25-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I was brought up in Leith and didn't have much of an interest in football until I was about 11/12(although I went to my first Hibs game in 1995 as a 5 year old). I 'supported' Hibs because all my mates at school did although I couldn't have told you anything about the rules or players or the club itself bar that they played in green. My uncle(who used to be a big Pars' fan) took me to Blobbys first game - 3-0 home win v Saint Johnstone when Ian Murray scored a brace and Garry O'Connor hit a belter - and that was me, hooked:thumbsup:Been all over Scotland following the famous Hibees and can't wait until a Euro away tie1 My Uncle is now a big Hibby and although he doesn't go to the games anymore I'm going to make an effort to get him back along :notworthy:

cannastar
26-11-2009, 06:29 AM
one of my earliest memories was the discussion in the house after the celtic final where we didnt turn up,all the uncles and my faither shakin heads and tutting...then seeing george best but not quite appreciating who he was as i was seven;anyway i always preferred the legend who is arthur duncan.next sitting through a cup final against rangers which was a poor goaless draw:beat in 2nd replay by own goal from arthur.getting ribbed at school as it was more popular to follow old firm but still wore my hibs top proudly .as someone previously said about the rush at five to three i also get a little bit of butterflies and dry throat well into the first ten minutes of the game.i believe its in your blood to be a hibby, i cried when we won league cup twice;both days up there with the best days ever,witnessed us getting pumped by sixes and sevens from old firm but always believed we would have a good run one day and keep tabs on the old firm for more than just til september and maybe just maybe this is the season.if not though and we do fall away ill still be at easter road still proud to wear my top and still proud to ALWAYS be a hibby.:notworthy:

brog
26-11-2009, 12:46 PM
This is a truly great thread, I've been away for a couple of days & get goose bumps catching up on the posts. Great stories, great diversity, just what the Hibs should be!

Darth Hibbie
26-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Yep Hibee like my father before me and his father before him. Technically my Dad was a Hibs fan before my Grandad after moving up to Edinburgh from the valleys of Wales but that does not have the same ring to it :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I remember when my wee brother moved from Craiglockhart Primary to Tynecastle High that he came home from school one day and said he wanted to become a Hearts supporter 'cos he was getting picked on at school, My old man said to him "would you rather get a doing at school or in the house!" I'm not too sure to this day how genuine a threat that was, but, it worked!

Joe Baker II
26-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Father a Hibs fan, more of family who are interested general football fans than Hibs specifically but have few Celtic and Dundee United fans in family too.

basehibby
26-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Afraid I don't quite see how you're "born a Hibs fan", anymore than you're born a Christian or born a Labour voter. As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of free choice, when you're old enough to decide.

Frankly I'm a bit queezy about babies or toddlers put in a Hibs (or any other football) top. The message seems to be "you WILL like football and you WILL be a Hibs fan". :duck:

I don't think I ever put any pressure on my own son or daughter to either like football or support Hibs, though I was, naturally, pleased when they both chose to support Hibs at about the age of 7 or 8, and, no doubt, they were influenced by knowing I supported Hibs.

FWIW, my own experience was that my family moved to Edinburgh from England when I was a toddler. Neither of my parents supported any football team but my dad took me to Easter Road when I was 10, because it was the nearest ground to where we lived and the rest is history.

Aw come on! Aint we allowed to indulge in a wee bit of brainwashing with our own flesh and blood? :devil:

This reminds me of when my daughter was a wee baby - I used to take her around the house pointing at things and telling her what they were - always ensuring this included a pause by my hibs calendar in which I explained to her in glowing tones that this was "Hibs - the greatest team in the wooorld!!!"
Anyway - we moved away from that flat (and country) and the calendar was packed away, and it was about a year and a half later just after Xmas and I was unwrapping my latest Hibs calendar with my wee girl (now a toddler and just starting to talk) on the bed, and to my astonishment and utter delight she instantly and without prompting, pointed at the calendar and exclaimed "Hibs, Hibs.....HIIIBS!"

Needless to say I was totally made up, not to mention gobsmacked that my tongue in cheek brainwashing had made such an impact on her infant mind. These days she's six years old and will be going to her 4th Hibs match on Saturday as well as taking along one of her pals for their Hibees debut - hopefully to become another member of that wonderful spectrum of humanity that is the Hibees family :thumbsup:

King Paddy
26-11-2009, 08:58 PM
My Da asked me when i was eight what team i supported and i said Hearts, remember this was 1958 Hearts were top dogs at that time so as wee laddie i was tynie bound. The old man then took me to my first game at E,R. v Motherwell. I instantly fell in love with the boys in green and white, and in paticular the Baker boy. I have know been a Hibby for 52 years.

Bostonhibby
26-11-2009, 09:45 PM
What a cracking thread. Proud to be associated with it all.

Born in Leith brought up in Magdalene, in those days it was all Hibs or Hearts, can't recall knowing any uglies at play or at school, All the folk that mattered in my family were and are Hibby's - there's one Hun that I don't understand at all.

My life long friendships from those days all have our great club as their core and my son had nae problem being the only kid in a hibs strip at primary school sports day in Lincolnshire, 15 years on and has attended many games with me. Its a tradition I never see ending.

Born a Hibby, Live for Hibs and will die a Hibby.