PDA

View Full Version : Media BBC Highlights - St Mirren 1 Hibs 1

hibees59
22-11-2009, 05:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8373380.stm

nickwhibs
22-11-2009, 05:38 PM
What a goal from Riordan :top marks. But from those highlights we looked terrible. St Mirren had so many attempts at goal. Can we please never play 4-3-3 again!

'Mon the Hibs
22-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Judging by the highlights, we were lucky to come away with the point.

On another note.... :greengrin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8373365.stm

:tee hee:

How bad is Oboua at football :faf:

CropleyWasGod
22-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Game should be replayed, because of Ian Murray's handball.

:devil:

--------
22-11-2009, 05:50 PM
What a goal from Riordan :top marks. But from those highlights we looked terrible. St Mirren had so many attempts at goal. Can we pleas never play 4-3-3 again!

Did IM handle in the first half? Looked rather like it?

Maybe we should ask for a replay - when Zouma and KM are fit, maybe? :cool2:

crash
22-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Thats frightening how bad we look. St.Mirren were getting crosses in too easily, and getting a finish on most of them. We were second to everything. Again we have got a result which our performance did not merit, but we have to improve because that was not good enough..

soupy
22-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Cant see what everyones complaining about, we looked a class outfit out there...not...:dizzy:

Hibercelona
22-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Absolutely dire. :agree:

But no worse that we usually play to St Mirren away.

lumbo_hfc
22-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Thats frightening how bad we look. St.Mirren were getting crosses in too easily, and getting a finish on most of them. We were second to everything. Again we have got a result which our performance did not merit, but we have to improve because that was not good enough..

Not to mention they were queuing up for their goal and they should have had a stonewall penalty!

I wasn't there but it looked to me from that, that we were lucky to escape with a point!

CorrieHibs
22-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Just watched the highlights.We would be raging if we had those chances St Mirren had and only got a point. Bamba looked very dodgy at the back. a screamer from deek. Benji had a good run but shot was disappointing.

down-the-slope
22-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Great turn and run and side step from Benji after we were 1-0 up...shame shot was right at keeper..left or right he would not have got it.

Great Deeks Goal....shocking defending from such a long free kick..2 players unmarked

BEEJ
22-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Well I hope we've learned lessons from that match. Looks like we stole a point! :rolleyes:

SouthamptonHibs
22-11-2009, 06:08 PM
we look pash........

one shot on goal after we scored. either the highlights are biased or we left st mirren park with masks on....

it was all St mirren...looked like we were lucky there......

Thats 3 games in a row we've played pretty crap now Aberdeen, Hearts and stmirren least we've picked up three points, last season we'd have got none.

We are far from a good side just now....

was it 4-3-3 yesterday?

roll o next week we need to up our game

Hibs90
22-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Just watched the highlights.We would be raging if we had those chances St Mirren had and only got a point. Bamba looked very dodgy at the back. a screamer from deek. Benji had a good run but shot was disappointing.

Bamba was superb over the 90 minutes.

Hibercelona
22-11-2009, 06:10 PM
we look pash........

one shot on goal after we scored. either the highlights are biased or we left st mirren park with masks on....

it was all St mirren...looked like we were lucky there......

Thats 3 games in a row we've played pretty crap now Aberdeen, Hearts and stmirren least we've picked up three points, last season we'd have got none.

We are far from a good side just now....

was it 4-3-3 yesterday?

roll o next week we need to up our game

5 points. We beat Aberdeen... :cool2:

scoopyboy
22-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Mostly agree except for two incidents that were shown on the highlights;

Dorman skinned him when he went clean through in the first half at 0-0 and where was his challenge at their goal?

The highlights didn't do him any favours and he did well in difficult conditions.

Cabbage1875
22-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Tend to disagree with this in all honesty. I'm a massive fan of Sol, but I didnt think he had his finest hour yesterday. Thought he went back to his old ways of trying to win the ball in front of his marker too often yesterday and nearly got caught a couple of times. Also, he was picking up Innes at corners before the goal so I'm unsure why he was moaning at Stokes(?) after it. I havent heard much mention of this, folk are too busy getting at Nish it seems :wink:

And to all who werent there and are saying 'it looked like we got humped' etc, you would be right. Must do better.

Riordan's strike was an absolute belter as well, superb strike.

brog
22-11-2009, 06:51 PM
The best part was watching Yams game. Samuel's goal was carbon copy of Goal Saints scored against us in LC semi, even at same end of ground! Even when Nade scores Yams lose, love it!!

NOLA
22-11-2009, 07:02 PM
What a goal from Riordan :top marks. But from those highlights we looked terrible. St Mirren had so many attempts at goal. Can we pleas never play 4-3-3 again!

agreed, we should be playing 4-4-2, especially away

Aldo
22-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Riordans Rocket was superb however woeful performance.

down the slope
22-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I was not there so shoot me down for that if you want but listening the to game on the internet it sounded like hibs dominated for at least a third of the game which was not shown on the replay. Having said that it was not good enough to play like that and once again shows that we are pussy cats away from home when we are up against teams who roll up the sleeves and get stuck in and chase us all over the park,-the answer is to do the same to them of course but we are obviously above that, might get the shorts dirty after all.

(((Fergus)))
22-11-2009, 07:21 PM

he looked very sluggish in those highlights. was he away somewhere with ivory coast?

18/03/07
22-11-2009, 07:44 PM
The best part was watching Yams game. Samuel's goal was carbon copy of Goal Saints scored against us in LC semi, even at same end of ground! Even when Nade scores Yams lose, love it!!
Has he not got a habit of scoring against the yams,did he not score 3 against them for falkirk a few years ago in the sc

CorrieHibs
22-11-2009, 07:48 PM
he looked very sluggish in those highlights. was he away somewhere with ivory coast?
Have to agree I thought he looked sluggish but u can't tell watching highlights. The paper did give him 7/10 but u can take that with a pinch of salt.

Geo_1875
22-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Probably an accurate reflection of Saint Mirren's chances in front of goal. However, the "highlights" did not show them barging, manhandling, and often putting in dangerous challenges every time Hibs looked like playing through the midfield. Why not show the challenge which crocked McBride?What happened to Deeks piece of skill to skin the defence and make an opening near the end? OK he missed but it was as close as half the chances they did include. Completely biased IMHO.

ancient hibee
22-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Based only on the highlights it would seem that Hughes'decision to reshape the defence was a very bad one.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I haven't looked at the highlights as it was bad enough watching it at the time but I don't think that it will flatter St Mirren at all.

They had far more chances than us and really should have won quite convincingly. If I was Gus McPherson, I would be absolutely stunned that my team hadn't got the three points.

It's certainly a point gained from our point of view.

Liberal Hibby
22-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Obviously I wasn't there and highlights need to be taken with a bit of salt as it depends on how they're put together - but that reminded me of the dire 0-0 under Mixu that kept our 'European hopes' going for a further needless week.

If the highlights a re a true reflection of the game I know who's managerial interview was most honest.

basehibby
22-11-2009, 11:14 PM
What a beauty from Deeks! And notably, Stacks kept us in the game in the 1st half - great stuff from Graham - could that be our problem goalie position solved for the time being??? The signs are good to that effect - getting the mix right in between these positions is the tricky bit :confused:

The_Horde
22-11-2009, 11:41 PM
How dire are we without Zouma by the way?

monktonharp
23-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Probably an accurate reflection of Saint Mirren's chances in front of goal. However, the "highlights" did not show them barging, manhandling, and often putting in dangerous challenges every time Hibs looked like playing through the midfield. Why not show the challenge which crocked McBride?What happened to Deeks piece of skill to skin the defence and make an opening near the end? OK he missed but it was as close as half the chances they did include. Completely biased IMHO.you were at the same game as me. we were poor in the first half,but should have marked better at the free kick when they scored. 2nd half we held our own,in very difficult conditions. pished rain aw day!

PC Stamp
23-11-2009, 12:45 AM
In the BBC's 5 minute highlight package I counted Stack making two saves.
I don't recall him making a great many more whilst at the game.

The majority of Sunday papers I read suggested that both teams had a similar number of shots on target, either 3 or 4 according to them ... whilst St Mirren had half a dozen or so more off target, a large percentage of which were long range efforts. Hibs meanwhile shaded the overall possession in most of the stats.

Object of the game is to put the ball in the net. To do that, you have to get shots on target. If you don't do that you don't work the keeper or score goals. Instead of being amazed they didn't win the game, Gus McPherson needs to look at the obvious reason why!

scoopyboy
23-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Obviously I wasn't there and highlights need to be taken with a bit of salt as it depends on how they're put together - but that reminded me of the dire 0-0 under Mixu that kept our 'European hopes' going for a further needless week.

If the highlights a re a true reflection of the game I know who's managerial interview was most honest.

Was that the dire 0-0 draw that finished 1-1?

Although the highlights looked bad from our point of view I never felt threatened at the game. They were better at 0-0 but when we scored first I was quite comfortable and if we had held out to half time I'm convinced we would have won the game.

Second half they were fouling time after time and cards should have been produced earlier. They were no better than us second half.

FWIW I think they are decent and may well reach top six.

ahibby
23-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Watching the St Mirren v Rangers highlights a few weeks ago, I thought that St Mirren created more chances putting Rangers under more pressure than they were under and yet St Mirren got nothing except respect from that game. They lose games or goals through quality strikes. They don't have a great deal (if any) high quality players and therefore their work ethos is understandable and it is that ethos that makes them a team to be respected in the SPL. Whether they can keep it up for an entire season remains to be seen. Rather than get involved in a war we seem to rely on flashes of class like in the first game against them courtesy of Wotherspoon and Benji and yesterday courtesy of Riordan. I wasn't at the game so can't comment on it more.

Jim44
23-11-2009, 09:00 AM
If that was a true account of the main action, it must have been one of the most one-sided matches for a long time. We were truly dreadful and, on that performance, it's only a matter of time till we drop down the table. The occasional tit-bit from Riordan won't be enough to save our skins.

Liberal Hibby
23-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Was that the dire 0-0 draw that finished 1-1?

Yes that's the one.:wink:

--------
23-11-2009, 11:24 AM
If that was a true account of the main action, it must have been one of the most one-sided matches for a long time. We were truly dreadful and, on that performance, it's only a matter of time till we drop down the table. The occasional tit-bit from Riordan won't be enough to save our skins.

I wasn't at the game, but going on one or two comments in this thread - see PC Stamp's assessment, for instance - and the way the match thread unfolded on Saturday afternoon, I think we need to resist the temptation to panic.

We have a few injuries (this is worrying, but we should expect that by this time of the season), Bamba was just back from a trip with the Ivory Coast, and it was a horrible day weatherwise. St Mirren aren't as bad as some of us would like to make them, either.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I wasn't at the game, but going on one or two comments in this thread - see PC Stamp's assessment, for instance - and the way the match thread unfolded on Saturday afternoon, I think we need to resist the temptation to panic.

We have a few injuries (this is worrying, but we should expect that by this time of the season), Bamba was just back from a trip with the Ivory Coast, and it was a horrible day weatherwise. St Mirren aren't as bad as some of us would like to make them, either.

As someone who was at the game on Saturday, I don't think we should be panicking either. We are only three points off the top of the league and we are still in third place, albeit on goals scored.

However, we were pretty poor on Saturday and St Mirren really should have won the game, I don't think anyone could have had any serious complaints if they had done so. I know I've said this a few times now but we really do struggle BIG TIME to create things, when we don't have Zemmama in the side. He is a massive loss to us.

For the last 20 minutes, when Nish came on, we were practically lumping the ball up to him at every opportunity, which then gave St Mirren a free kick as he was usually offside. And I say that as one of Colin Nish's biggest fans on here.

I appreciate that the weather conditions, particularly in the second half, were horrendous but we are coming into winter in Scotland and the weather probably won't be too great for the next three months or so. The players are going to have to put up with that and find a way of overcoming the elements.

In saying that, our result on Saturday was no worse than any of our other results have been in Paisley, over the past ten years and it's nice that we have now gone eight games undefeated in the league.

Let's not kid ourselves though, we have a very long way to go before we resemble a very good football side

ahibby
23-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Deek and Benji aren't what we would think of as midfield players and that's where they are expected to play these days. We would maybe do better with a 4-4-2 but perhaps teams would'nt try and get to us as much if we did. We really need the space to play up front as we aren't going to get many tap ins or headers in. I am fairly sure Yogi will have looked at various options and with Zemmama missing and the conditions being what they were on Saturday he has picked a shape accordingly (inluding CH at RB). Zemama isn't as creative as we might think so he shouldn't be such a big miss. I am not comfortable with Benji Stokes and Riordan being in a starting line up and Benji has had his turn starting on the bench so maybe Stokes should be the next one on it to allow Benji and Deek to go up front. If our midfield injuries don't sort themselves out soon I'd expect to see some weird set ups until they do. Are we really doing all that badly considering the make shift sides we have been putting out? While they haven't produced the best football we have seen none of them have been out and out disasters or have they?

Si_17
23-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Judging by those highlights, you'd never know that we'd had more possession and shots on target. Or for that matter that St Mirren tried to kick us about.

PaulSmith
23-11-2009, 07:36 PM

So based on 5 mins of BBC highlights in the pishing rain in Paisley it's only a matter of time before we drop down the league.

I'd rather base by opinion that after 12 games we're 3 points of the top of the league and only 2 teams have been good enough to beat us.

bringbackjoeT!!
23-11-2009, 10:57 PM
anyone notice after deek scores, stokes failed to smack the ball in the net from half a yard out while celebrating- sums up his day:bitchy: