PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Scottish Football

weecounty hibby
22-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I am fed up hearing about the state that Scottish football is in just because the OF aren't winning every game. I have seen worse Rangers and Worse Celtic teams than these, maybe not at the same time but I have seen worse.
We shouldn't believe the OF sycophants in the media, they are hurting because they are finding it more and more difficult to write their usual bull**** to cover up from the fact that the rest of us are catching them up. We are closer to them not because they are worse than ever before but because others, including ourselves, are getting better. Parkhead and Ibrox are no longer the frightening places they once were either.
Todays result at Tannadice was another great result for Scottish football in general and long may it continue.

Scorrie
22-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Agree. OK the quality isnt world class but if you had the misfortune to watch Bolton v Blackburn today , that was grim. Scottish football isnt as bad as the OF make out. Deek's strike? Even Nade's goal (!) :confused:

CorrieHibs
22-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Dundee Utd against celtic was a good game and a good advert. I remember when celtic were finishing 4th and they were awful.There's also a lot of good young talent in the spl as well.

marinello59
22-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Sorry I disagree. Both sides of the Old Firm are as poor as I can remember. Yes, the gap between them and the rest is closing but let's not pretend it's all down to the rest of us improving. The evil twins really are that pish.

hibsbollah
22-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Theres no-one like us for talking our own league down. Ive never understood it:confused:

weecounty hibby
22-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Theres no-one like us for talking our own league down. Ive never understood it:confused:

This is the point I was trying to make, in around about way. Lets not all buy into the media telling us we are rubbish because the OF aren't winning all of their games anymore. They can't have it both ways, it's either OF win all the time and moan that there is no competition or healthy competition and moan that the standard is crap.

NAE NOOKIE
22-11-2009, 08:19 PM
This is the point I was trying to make, in around about way. Lets not all buy into the media telling us we are rubbish because the OF aren't winning all of their games anymore. They can't have it both ways, it's either OF win all the time and moan that there is no competition or healthy competition and moan that the standard is crap.

Agree with that. However it would help if our clubs outwith the OF did a bit better in Europe. I dont mean even QFs or SFs just getting to the group stages of the Europa League would be an imrovement over the next few seasons from what has happened lately.

SidBurns
22-11-2009, 09:11 PM

...but it is Tom Kite!

jgl07
22-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Agree with that. However it would help if our clubs outwith the OF did a bit better in Europe. I dont mean even QFs or SFs just getting to the group stages of the Europa League would be an imrovement over the next few seasons from what has happened lately.
I seem to recall Aberdeen making it through the group stages of the UEFA Cup recently. I also recall Rangers and Celtic in the Final of the same competition not that long ago.

Scotland is suffering in European Competitions because of a variety of factors. The coefficient is being dragged down because of continually having to put First Division teams in as Cup Runners Up. Also the ever earlier starts for the two competitions does Scotland no favours.

OK so the SPL is not of the same standard as it was when Larsson, Gascoigne and Laudrup were around but is it really that bad?

Try watching Stoke City play!

Hainan Hibs
22-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Too many people think they are being "cool" by knocking the league and bumming up the EPL. Sometimes I wonder why they bother their arse watching Hibs.

Ok, the quality isn't the highest, but some of the games provide great excitement and most seasons we have a big relagation battle, a fight for top six, and most of the time Celtic and Rangers are close to the end at the top.

marinello59
22-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Too many people think they are being "cool" by knocking the league and bumming up the EPL. Sometimes I wonder why they bother their arse watching Hibs.

Ok, the quality isn't the highest, but some of the games provide great excitement and most seasons we have a big relagation battle, a fight for top six, and most of the time Celtic and Rangers are close to the end at the top.

The Alba cup final today was fantastic entertainment. Does that excuse the lack of technical ability we see displayed week on week? I don't see it as cool to knock our league. I find it depressing. In the 60's, 70's and 80's our teams could be seen as genuine Euro trophy contenders. Is that true now?

jodjam
22-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I seem to recall Aberdeen making it through the group stages of the UEFA Cup recently. I also recall Rangers and Celtic in the Final of the same competition not that long ago.

Scotland is suffering in European Competitions because of a variety of factors. The coefficient is being dragged down because of continually having to put First Division teams in as Cup Runners Up. Also the ever earlier starts for the two competitions does Scotland no favours.

OK so the SPL is not of the same standard as it was when Larsson, Gascoigne and Laudrup were around but is it really that bad?

I posted the same thing recently about recent Euro successes. Read something the other day saying Scotland could never play like Eire did in Paris and were doomed as a country. Total crap, as it was only 2 years ago we turned them over. Lets talk up the game. It's more fun than always looking for a gripe.

NAE NOOKIE
22-11-2009, 10:32 PM

True .. agree with every word of that and I also hate seeing people who should know better dragging the game down at every opportunity.

If you check my post again you will note I said the clubs outwith the OF.

hibsbollah
23-11-2009, 12:58 PM
...but it is Tom Kite!

Its not as bad as some make out. Some SPL exports are doing well in England (theres a thread from the summer where almost every poster on here (me excluded:wink:) was saying Fletch would be a disaster for Burnley, who's to say more SPL players wouldnt make an impact?), and some of the garbage ive watched on TV from the likes of Wolves, Stoke some weeks takes some believing. Theres a lack of money in the SPL of course, but a players price isnt always representative of his quality, as should be obvious to anyone who's followed football even casually over the last 10 years.