PDA

View Full Version : Hogg at RB?

TheBall'sRound
22-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Noone else seems to have mentioned it but what did people think of Hogg at right back? I thought he did ok though he looked a little lost at times and had a couple of mixups with Wotherspoon. Its better to have the defensive base and work on your forward skills than vice versa in my opinion.

Thoughts?

forthhibby
22-11-2009, 02:03 PM
as a defensive right chris hogg did nowt wrong yesterday, as an attacking right back was a fish out of water, if we could combine his defensive qualitiies with wetherspoons attacking qualities we'd be ok. To summarise, we need a a right back

.Sean.
22-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Never in a million years is Chris Hogg a full back.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2009, 03:23 PM
as a defensive right chris hogg did nowt wrong yesterday, as an attacking right back was a fish out of water, if we could combine his defensive qualitiies with wetherspoons attacking qualities we'd be ok. To summarise, we need a a right back

:agree::top marks

Judas Iscariot
22-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Never in a million years is Chris Hogg a footballer.

Fixed that..

down-the-slope
22-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Fixed that..:asshole:

Hibby Cam
22-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Fixed that..

:rolleyes::idiot:

Judas Iscariot
22-11-2009, 07:16 PM
:rolleyes::idiot:

What footballing attributes does Hogg possess in your opinion?

Billy Whizz
22-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought he did ok as a defensive right back. But by play playing Hogg at right back and Stevenson at left back we have no full backs coming forward. I doubt if Stevenson crossed the halfway line the whole game. When we have Wotherspoon and Murray as our fullbacks we look a lot better going forward and more of a threat.

500miles
22-11-2009, 07:47 PM
What footballing attributes does Hogg possess in your opinion?

Hard tackler, fearless, decent in the air, strong, decent pace at CH, good passer when he keeps it simple, and a captains armband at our club.

He's also a key man in our most solid defence in the last 15 years.

Seriously, some people must go to football matches and just watch the ball for an hour and a half.

Jonnyboy
22-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Hard tackler, fearless, decent in the air, strong, decent pace at CH, good passer when he keeps it simple, and a captains armband at our club.

He's also a key man in our most solid defence in the last 15 years.

Seriously, some people must go to football matches and just watch the ball for an hour and a half.

Wish he would keep it simple and stop trying to fire 40 yard passes that never reach their target :wink:

500miles
22-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Wish he would keep it simple and stop trying to fire 40 yard passes that never reach their target :wink:

It's as much a case of the movement of the players in front of him. Usually McBride is the man who makes himself available.

Jonnyboy
22-11-2009, 10:17 PM
It's as much a case of the movement of the players in front of him. Usually McBride is the man who makes himself available.

True. Don't get me wrong, I like Hoggy as a defender when he's on his game but in the same way that strikers practice shooting I think Chris needs to work on his passing ability :agree:

basehibby
22-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Exactly right - I was left scratching my head by the decision to play Hogg at RB TBH, but your summation of events is what I would have expected of him. Not having been at the game myself, it seems to me that Yogi elected to play play Hogg at RB in order to release Wothers into the RM slot in the absence of Zemama. Not sure that I agree with that decision as it's important to have fullbacks who are comfortable with overlapping with the midfield - Wothers seems to be the most comfortable in that task at the mo - like you said we need a right back - and a good one at that :agree:

dangermouse
23-11-2009, 11:08 AM
If Yogi learned anything on Saturday it should be not to play Hogg as a right back. I'd rather have seen McCormack playing there with Hogg in the middle and Murray at left back

--------
23-11-2009, 11:16 AM
If Yogi learned anything on Saturday it should be not to play Hogg as a right back. I'd rather have seen McCormack playing there with Hogg in the middle and Murray at left back

:agree:

If we're missing Zouma and Kevin on Saturday, that's the back four I'd want to see, with Wotherspoon in midfield along with Cregg, and Murray at RB. I'd play Galbraith on the left, and drop Stokes. Get Deek up front alongside Benji.

I'd also tell Stokes to shed at least half a stone in weight - he doesn't look fit to me.

Stack; McCormack, Hogg, Bamba, Murray; Wotherspoon, Cregg, Miller, Galbraith; Benji, Deek.

That leaves us Maka, Hanlon, Thicot, Stevenson, Rankin, Byrne, and Nish on the bench.

But I SOOOO hope McBride and Zouma are fit....

Danderhall Hibs
23-11-2009, 11:22 AM
:agree:

If we're missing Zouma and Kevin on Saturday, that's the back four I'd want to see, with Wotherspoon in midfield along with Cregg, and Murray at RB. I'd play Galbraith on the left, and drop Stokes. Get Deek up front alongside Benji.

I'd also tell Stokes to shed at least half a stone in weight - he doesn't look fit to me.

Stack; McCormack, Hogg, Bamba, Murray; Wotherspoon, Cregg, Miller, Galbraith; Benji, Deek.

That leaves us Maka, Hanlon, Thicot, Stevenson, Rankin, Byrne, and Nish on the bench.

But I SOOOO hope McBride and Zouma are fit....

You ditching Stokes to the stand Doddie?

I'd give him another chance - upfront with Riordan though, not on his own.

ahibby
23-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I wasn't at the game on Sat but from what I have seen of Chris Hogg I would say that playing him at right back would strengthen our defence but weaken our attack. I guess Stevenson was at left back and he would do better going forward than Chris Hogg but not a lot better. It appears to me that Yogi has set us up not to lose first and foremost and why not because with the alleged goal threat we carry perhaps we can create something out of nothing ala Riordans special strike. Still, we like to see our team going forward more than they did.

500miles
23-11-2009, 05:00 PM
True. Don't get me wrong, I like Hoggy as a defender when he's on his game but in the same way that strikers practice shooting I think Chris needs to work on his passing ability :agree:

Absolutely. However, we are fortunate that Hogg will not peak for another 4 years or so. IMO most Centre halfs don't reach thier best until 28/29 IMO.

hibee_always
23-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Fixed that..

Clown-come back on when you know what your talking about!!:bye:

Jonnyboy
23-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Absolutely. However, we are fortunate that Hogg will not peak for another 4 years or so. IMO most Centre halfs don't reach thier best until 28/29 IMO.

Think he'll still be at Hibs?

500miles
23-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Think he'll still be at Hibs?

While I'm not a great believer in player loyalty, I do feel that Hogg is the sort of player who doesn't attract great attention, but who is appreciated by his manager. Once you spend a good five or six years as a first teamer at one club, I think you're chances of being a testimonial type player become much more realistic. It's not quite a comfort zone, but it takes more to tempt you to move away from that club. It's not something that just applies to football - if people feel that what they have works, and it has worked for a long time, they tend to stick to it.

That said, if Hogg were to leave at the end of the season, I would not be all that suprised. Young players may look for new challanges, or chase the money.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2009, 10:44 PM
While I'm not a great believer in player loyalty, I do feel that Hogg is the sort of player who doesn't attract great attention, but who is appreciated by his manager. Once you spend a good five or six years as a first teamer at one club, I think you're chances of being a testimonial type player become much more realistic. It's not quite a comfort zone, but it takes more to tempt you to move away from that club. It's not something that just applies to football - if people feel that what they have works, and it has worked for a long time, they tend to stick to it.

Good points, well made :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
24-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Clown-come back on when you know what your talking about!!:bye:

:faf:

Only if you sort out your superb punctuation and sentence structure :rolleyes: