PDA

View Full Version : Good teams and full backs

Shrekko
21-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Really disappointed to see Yogi go with Stevenson and Hogg as the full-back's today. Both good pro's who give their all etc., but lacking the attributes you'd want from full-backs in an attack minded team.

If you look at good teams most of them have excellent athletic skillful full-backs/wing-backs. Best example when Brazil had Cafu and Roberto Carlos. Even at our level there are some good examples.

Under McLeish we had Lovell/De La Cruz and Laursen, with Mogga it was Whittaker and Murphy.

All these guys were always involved in the play and always a great outlet. There was an incident near the end today when Deeks chased a ball into the corner, held it up, looked up and saw the full-back on his side (Stevenson) about 40 yards away.

I'm not having a go at Lewis or Hoggy- they just dont have the pace, mobility or attacking instincts. I thought Wotherspoon had a blinder at RB last week and with Bamba back I fully expected Murray driving forward in the left-back position.

I thought we were totally disjointed today with no cohesion, whereas we've looked great at times with Murray and Wotherspoon as full-backs. Obviously there were other factors and no I'm not making scapegoats- I'm just very surprised at what I saw as a negative move.

matty_f
21-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Really disappointed to see Yogi go with Stevenson and Hogg as the full-back's today. Both good pro's who give their all etc., but lacking the attributes you'd want from full-backs in an attack minded team.

If you look at good teams most of them have excellent athletic skillful full-backs/wing-backs. Best example when Brazil had Cafu and Roberto Carlos. Even at our level there are some good examples.

Under McLeish we had Lovell/De La Cruz and Laursen, with Mogga it was Whittaker and Murphy.

All these guys were always involved in the play and always a great outlet. There was an incident near the end today when Deeks chased a ball into the corner, held it up, looked up and saw the full-back on his side (Stevenson) about 40 yards away.

I'm not having a go at Lewis or Hoggy- they just dont have the pace, mobility or attacking instincts. I thought Wotherspoon had a blinder at RB last week and with Bamba back I fully expected Murray driving forward in the left-back position.

I thought we were totally disjointed today with no cohesion, whereas we've looked great at times with Murray and Wotherspoon as full-backs. Obviously there were other factors and no I'm not making scapegoats- I'm just very surprised at what I saw as a negative move.

I can see where you're coming from, and I'd agree.

IMHO, we've looked at our best with Murray at left back. He's good at centre-half, and he's good in midfield, but given the choice I'd have him left back every week. For me, he's the best full back we've got at the club at the moment.

We look much better when we've full-backs pushing on, and when they don't you can see the difference. More so when Zemmama is out.

The best back 4 I've seen line up for us this season has been Wotherspoon, Hogg, Bamba, Murray. When all are fit, that part of the team picks itself, IMHO.

Shrekko
21-11-2009, 09:38 PM
The best back 4 I've seen line up for us this season has been Wotherspoon, Hogg, Bamba, Murray. When all are fit, that part of the team picks itself, IMHO.

:agree:

We all know Wotherspoon will play further up the park in time but he showed against Hearts that he's well capable of playing right-back. He marked Driver out the game and also got forward to good effect.

When the full-backs push up it draws defenders all over the park and midfielders back to cover. We were out numbered all the time when the ball came up to the strikers. The fact Stokes couldnt hold the ball up made it all the worse.

Another strange thing selection about todays is that despite having a ropey start to the season, Hoggy was excellent at centre-half at Tynecastle.

millarco
21-11-2009, 10:20 PM
With Zemmama out Wotherspoon is really the only choice on the right side of midfield. He's wasted at RB, but he's our best option when everyone's fit. He's the only player who's willing to really take someone on and drive to the touchline, and offers decent width. RB should be a definite priority for January, allowing Wotherspoon to push into midfield. Would be great to see him and Zemmama in the same midfield.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2009, 10:40 PM
What we have to remember is, this is Yogi's first season in charge. He's only had one transfer window to work with. The next one i'm sure he will strengthen again, we are work in progress, with the most importand word being progress. We are going forward, the team is stronger now, and will get stronger again in January. Yogi is not daft, he knows were we need better players, have faith.:thumbsup:

monktonharp
21-11-2009, 10:49 PM

I thought we were totally disjointed today with no cohesion, whereas we've looked great at times with Murray and Wotherspoon as full-backs. Obviously there were other factors and no I'm not making scapegoats- I'm just very surprised at what I saw as a negative move.:agree: I felt that Hogg was like a fish out of water in the first half today,tho' better in the second half. wish we had stuck to our original set up at the back.Murray seems to get extra legs in the last quarter of a game and drives us on. could have made the difference today,if he was at LB.

PeterboroHibee
21-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Murray is quality at LB, has a great drive to get forward, miss him alot when he isnt there. Also, dont think chopping and changing the defence each week, when we really dont have to, is the way to go.