PDA

View Full Version : Bus accident

linlithgowhibbie
21-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone heard how the passengers on the bus that hit the bridge got on?

Hope they are all ok, looked frightening

Cod Boy
21-11-2009, 06:34 PM
everyone was fine it was the edinburgh west branch

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 07:04 PM
My uncle and my cousins son were at the back of that bus, and were very shaken. Both were almost in tears when they were telling me about it. When the roof was ripped off, 2 trains went over on the bridge and they feared it would collapse.

The driver should get his jotters. Incompetent idiot.

PISTOL1875
21-11-2009, 07:06 PM
My uncle and my cousins son were at the back of that bus, and were very shaken. Both were almost in tears when they were telling me about it. When the roof was ripped off, 2 trains went over on the bridge and they feared it would collapse.

The driver should get his jotters. Incompetent idiot.

What caused it to crash ??

ahibby
21-11-2009, 07:08 PM
What caused it to crash ??

I dunno but from the posts id guess the bus went under a too low bridge and hit it

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I dunno but from the posts id guess the bus went under a too low bridge and hit it

It did. It made it through but the air conditioning at the back of the coach, which is raised higher than the rest of the roof got caught, causing it to get sliced off.

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Re the incident

everyone on the bus is fine and are very well

peopel were shaken but weer soon okay,

we got a replacement bus and we got home okay

but a would like to thank everyone that was on the bus they were fantastic the whole day

just a blip on what was a good fully banter day (part from the incident)

:thumbsup:

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:14 PM
It did. It made it through but the air conditioning at the back of the coach, which is raised higher than the rest of the roof got caught, causing the back end of the roof to be sliced off.

the roof of the bus is fine, it was driven back to edinburgh tonight,

the air con is gone and will need to be replaced as soon as i have the pics on my computer i will show the pictures of the back of the bus

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 07:16 PM
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/Chuckie1977/bus.jpg

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I would also like to point out that no1 on the bus at all put's the blame on the driver!

the sign was not very clear under the bridge and it's just 1 of these things that happens, the roof was fine it was the air con that was totally destroyed

*** so please this was just an accident and the driver if very distraught and very upset please refrain by putting words agaisnt him ***
thanks guy's / girls

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I would also like to point out that no1 on the bus at all put's the blame on the driver!

I doubt his employers will be so tolerant.

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:27 PM

I doubt his employers will be so tolerant.

i totally agree with you there but my bus conveenior will be sending them an email and the driver we have is brand new and is a staunch hibee and a very good friend of our's this season so we hope nothing does,
i hope he drives for us as long as there are no bridges!

If Only
21-11-2009, 07:39 PM
i totally agree with you there but my bus conveenior will be sending them an email and the driver we have is brand new and is a staunch hibee and a very good friend of our's this season so we hope nothing does,
i hope he drives for us as long as there are no bridges!

Is this an omen Hibs in an open top bus!!!!!!!

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:47 PM

:faf::faf: Least i can say i have seen an opentop bus this season:wink:

PISTOL1875
21-11-2009, 07:49 PM
:faf::faf: Least i can say i have seen an opentop bus this season:wink:

Where did the accident happen ??

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Where did the accident happen ??

Under the railway bridge right next to the Stadium

Hibercelona
21-11-2009, 07:50 PM

:top marks

Heres hoping! :thumbsup:

H18sry
21-11-2009, 07:54 PM

the sign was not very clear under the bridge and it's just 1 of these things that happens, the roof was fine it was the air con that was totally destroyed

*** so please this was just an accident and the driver if very distraught and very upset please refrain by putting words agaisnt him ***
thanks guy's / girls

Who was driving :confused: Baldy per chance :devil:

Lmc2105
21-11-2009, 07:57 PM

saying nothing :wink:
but no it wasn't our good friend Baldy:thumbsup:

speedy_gonzales
21-11-2009, 08:07 PM

the sign was not very clear under the bridge and it's just 1 of these things that happens,

Glad to hear all are well albeit shook up!

As someone who works in the railway I've seen a fair few bridge strikes and every one has been caused by the driver of the vehicle involved.
Regardless of signage, the driver should be aware of the height of his vehicle and if there is doubt, pull over and stop.
This particular incident didn't involve any delays but in more serious incidents, trains get cancelled and hundreds of people get messed about, not to mention traffic getting re-routed whilst the vehicle is recovered.
And before anyone flames me for this 'non-incident', 20 yrs back an old dear got the end-game when a low-loader carrying something akin to a forklift struck the bridge at Slateford and sent it's cargo through a #44 bus. All because the driver was unfamiliar with his route and not fully aware of his load height!

PC Stamp
21-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear all are well albeit shook up!

As someone who works in the railway I've seen a fair few bridge strikes and every one has been caused by the driver of the vehicle involved.
Regardless of signage, the driver should be aware of the height of his vehicle and if there is doubt, pull over and stop.
This particular incident didn't involve any delays but in more serious incidents, trains get cancelled and hundreds of people get messed about, not to mention traffic getting re-routed whilst the vehicle is recovered.
And before anyone flames me for this 'non-incident', 20 yrs back an old dear got the end-game when a low-loader carrying something akin to a forklift struck the bridge at Slateford and sent it's cargo through a #44 bus. All because the driver was unfamiliar with his route and not fully aware of his load height!

Which IIRC resulted in them installing electronic overheight warning signs on the road a bit before encountering said bridge.

Baldy
21-11-2009, 09:18 PM

thanks guy's / girls

Its obvious that the signs say the bridge is 10 feet

His bus including air-con is 12 feet, maybe 11 if your lucky .. so without doubt he is to blame, he went under a bridge that was far too low for a coach.

Toaods
21-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Its obvious that the signs say the bridge is 10 feet

His bus including air-con is 12 feet, maybe 11 if your lucky .. so without doubt he is to blame, he went under a bridge that was far too low for a coach.

not at the game so all news to me but can you say...was this railway bridge on a street that was on the official designated route to the ground that usually is given on the club website?

SunnyLeither
21-11-2009, 09:44 PM

C'mon now, Baldy's no that stupid!!!! Well mibbies :wink:

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 09:51 PM
not at the game so all news to me but can you say...was this railway bridge on a street that was on the official designated route to the ground that usually is given on the club website?

I don't know what it says on the club website, but other supporters buses made a left turn just before the bridge in to the long road which was designated for coaches, away from the stadium and away from the low bridge.

That driver messed up big time, and it could have caused a fatality.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't know what it says on the club website, but other supporters buses made a left turn just before the bridge in to the long road which was designated for coaches, away from the stadium and away from the low bridge.

Calm down Dear, that's a complete over-reaction. Cast Iron Bridge and a genuine mis-judgement on the aircon unit at the back of the bus. The boy will be in enough soapy bubble as it is...... :bitchy:

Toaods
21-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Iron Bridge 0 fatalities 0 (I ken you have a sense of humour akin to my own Chuckie...:wink: )

Joking aside, the main thing is that there were no fatalities or serious injury and I'm sure the bus company/police will suss out the situation and do whatever needs done.

sounds like it's been an honest mistake all the same, so hope the guy doesn't lose his job.

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Calm down Dear, that's a complete over-reaction. Cast Iron Bridge and a genuine mis-judgement on the aircon unit at the back of the bus. The boy will be in enough soapy bubble as it is...... :bitchy:

It's not the point.

He has a responsible job, to ensure the safety of his passengers. He has made a ridiculous decision, which has actually affected those who were travelling on the bus. Old men and children who suffered from shock.

Last time I tip a coach driver. :wink:

Chuckie
21-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Iron Bridge 0 fatalities 0 (I ken you have a sense of humour akin to my own Chuckie...:wink: )

Joking aside, the main thing is that there were no fatalities or serious injury and I'm sure the bus company/police will suss out the situation and do whatever needs done.

sounds like it's been an honest mistake all the same, so hope the guy doesn't lose his job.

Maybe he was dozing and dreaming he was in the the movie Con Air....

and woke up with no Air Con..

and no job..

Toaods
21-11-2009, 10:26 PM
and no job..

may well be the likely outcome. I always put in when the hat comes round for the driver, ythe minute you get on the first step you put your life in their hands and I've done a few miles on the notorway in my time(football and speedway) and these guys earn their dosh. Tax man kens they get a bit in the hat too so no doubt taxes them on an average so they probably miss out a bit on that too.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-11-2009, 10:27 PM
It's not the point.

He has a responsible job, to ensure the safety of his passengers. He has made a ridiculous decision, which has actually affected those who were travelling on the bus. Old men and children who suffered from shock.

I agree with you. We went with Parks of Hamilton to the CIS Final against Livvy and the driver was a complete pr1ck, speeding through town, charging over roundabouts and was told in no uncertain terms to calm it or get a sore face from a few onboard.

However the photo you've posted suggests the driver has dawdled under a bridge slightly above the height of the bus and stopped within 4 or 5 feet, It's not a double decker doing 40mph.

Leemc-1989 said that no-one on the bus was having a go at the driver so that suggests to me the boy hasn't shown a huge disregard for life and limb.

Bunter
22-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I thought you were putting in double next time. I took you at your word yesterday. :faf:

oldbiker
22-11-2009, 10:50 AM

:greengrin:greengrin

Lmc2105
22-11-2009, 01:04 PM
we will make sure everything is done to make sure this guy does not lose his job!

he was very upset and very shaken up.

as a said a great guy and we hope he continues to be our driver

accidents happen and a was very happy to see no1 was hurt

Leithenhibby
22-11-2009, 01:21 PM
we will make sure everything is done to make sure this guy does not lose his job!

he was very upset and very shaken up.

as a said a great guy and we hope he continues to be our driver

accidents happen and a was very happy to see no1 was hurt

The very fact that he was so upset and obviously concerned for everybody's well being I would hope he keeps is job. :grr:
He sounds a very competent driver, and as you say accidents do happen and nobody was hurt (thank whoever) and that is the most important thing...