PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

Ozyhibby
21-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Is he struggling at this level? His first touch is very poor and he is not finding space for himself. Yet another poor performance again today.

brydekirk
21-11-2009, 05:20 PM
:agree: said this 3 weeks ago. first touch is poor, unless it hits his chest. yogi wont drop though.

.Louise.
21-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't see why he isn't getting any fitter! I think maybe a couple of games on the bench might give him the kick up the rear end he needs.

PISTOL1875
21-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I can't see why he isn't getting any fitter! I think maybe a couple of games on the bench might give him the kick up the rear end he needs.

Defo.. Dropping him and giving somebody else a shot might be a good idea....

Billychaotic182
21-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Defo.. Dropping him and giving somebody else a shot might be a good idea....

I would put deek back up and give Danny a run

The Voice Of Reason
21-11-2009, 06:40 PM
He will probably score the odd goal in the SPL.

From what I have seen though, it pains me to say that so far he has been a major disappointment.

Cannae believe he was a £2 Million player.....incredible.

PISTOL1875
21-11-2009, 06:43 PM

It's about time Galbraith got a run in the team.. However , if you did play Deek up front , it would mean changing the system to 4 4 2

archiebald
21-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Thought the 3 touches against Rangers were good :agree: He is a good striker !

The Harp Awakes
21-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Looks a good player from what I've seen although he's definitely struggling a bit for consistency. Don't think we've got the formation right to get the best out of him either. Just a matter of time though, only a handful of games played.

Cool_Hand_Luke
21-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Definately think he needs a spell on the bench, he was very poor today.
Poor first touch (not the first time this season), poor positional play, always getting caught offside, doesnt look fit and looks like he's no confidence.

I'd move Benji and Deek up front, go 4-4-2 with Galbraith given a shot at left mid and Wotherspoon at right (until Zemmama is back).

Benji is looking a far better player than Stokes at the minute :agree:

archiebald
21-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Come on Benji done nothing today either ! way out of position looked lost
Hughes moaned at him all day.:agree:

Cool_Hand_Luke
21-11-2009, 10:21 PM

First 20-25 minutes i would agree, but after that thought he came onto a game and was one of our better players :agree:

steakbake
21-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Give stokes a break, ffs. He's only been here since Aug/Sept.

Nish is the one who constantly falls on his arse, normally after trying to look like he just jumped for the ball. If he just got on with it, I've no doubt he'd be scoring regularly and he'd be a great asset for us, but as someone on another thread says, he spends most of the time on the deck. He's either a total lightweight and easily pushed around or he's hoping for free kicks etc.

monktonharp
21-11-2009, 10:44 PM
First 20-25 minutes i would agree, but after that thought he came onto a game and was one of our better players :agree:thought Benji came into the game more in the second half,but Stokesy was out of sorts,to say the least. struggled with his first touches although the conditions may have played a part.would like to see him brought on as a sub in the last 20 mins,rebuild his confidence,as right know he is not performing and looks in the huff if things dont go his way.

Marabou Stork
22-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Give stokes a break, ffs. He's only been here since Aug/Sept.

Nish is the one who constantly falls on his arse, normally after trying to look like he just jumped for the ball. If he just got on with it, I've no doubt he'd be scoring regularly and he'd be a great asset for us, but as someone on another thread says, he spends most of the time on the deck. He's either a total lightweight and easily pushed around or he's hoping for free kicks etc.

Exactly. Given time, Stokes will start rattling them in left, right and centre for us. Nish will always be sh*te.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Stokes blindfolded is better than Nish but we have one class striker - Derek Riordan!

Petrie's Tache
22-11-2009, 06:31 AM
I would be tempted to drop him for Sat and play a 3-1-3-1-2

Of

............................Stack................. .............

..........Hogg...........Bamba...........Murray... ......

..........................McBride................. ........... (if fit)

Wootherspoon........Miller................Galbrait h......

...........................Zemmama................ .......... (if fit)

............Benji.............................Deek s.........

McBride providing cover with the young guys on the wings.

Decent spine to the team also.

Bob1875
22-11-2009, 06:32 AM
If Stokes was worth £2m then Benji must be worth at least £4m because he is showing Stokes up at the minute.

sixtwo
22-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I would be tempted to drop him for Sat and play a 3-1-3-1-2

Of

............................Stack................. .............

..........Hogg...........Bamba...........Murray... ......

..........................McBride................. ........... (if fit)

Wootherspoon........Miller................Galbrait h......

...........................Zemmama................ .......... (if fit)

............Benji.............................Deek s.........

McBride providing cover with the young guys on the wings.

Decent spine to the team also.

That is a very good team. I would be happy with that or even if we were to swap benji for Stokes.

I think it is clear that Zemmama is the difference between a good hibs team and an average one. I reckon if he was fit we would have taken at least four points from our last two games.

brydekirk
22-11-2009, 07:43 AM
:agree::agree::agree: :thumbsup:

Spike Mandela
22-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Is he struggling at this level? His first touch is very poor and he is not finding space for himself. Yet another poor performance again today.

Would you rather have Nade, Wittenveem or Elliot:faf::faf:

Hibs90
22-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry but he's gash and well over-rated. His goal at Ibrox was nice but thats the only thing hes done.

matty_f
22-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry but he's gash and well over-rated. His goal at Ibrox was nice but thats the only thing hes done.

Don't agree there, mate. I think Stokes has shown in bits of games that he's got the quality.

I think a big part of the problem is that when Zemmama is out, the strikers don't get the service they need.

I don't have the stats, but I would put money on there being a big difference in the number of chances created when Zemmama has played, compared to those where he hasn't.

I don't think Stokes is the sort of player that thrives on trying to carve out chances for himself, but if you give him the ball in and around the penalty area there's a good chance he'll get a shot in.

Petrie's Tache
22-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Don't agree there, mate. I think Stokes has shown in bits of games that he's got the quality.

I think a big part of the problem is that when Zemmama is out, the strikers don't get the service they need.

I don't have the stats, but I would put money on there being a big difference in the number of chances created when Zemmama has played, compared to those where he hasn't.

I don't think Stokes is the sort of player that thrives on trying to carve out chances for himself, but if you give him the ball in and around the penalty area there's a good chance he'll get a shot in.

Dont knw about that Matty, he seemed to create alot of goals for himself whilst at Faklirk. Often running past two or 3 players and sticking it away.

Alex B
22-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Folk here being too harsh on Stokes. I remain excited by this guy and am convinced he will prove to be an excellent signing. He's done OK IMHO and, like the rest of the team, there's much more to come.

Franck is God
22-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Stokes is a good SPL striker or a mid table Championship/top of League 1 level but thats it. Like many other players at his level he is capable of brilliance (ibrox) but also at times you will wonder if its the same guy.

I thought it was a good signing but would far rather still have Steven Fletcher up front. Some of the people on this board in the summer trying to say that they would actually have given Fletch as a straight swap for Stokes and we would have gotten the better end of the deal....I hope they are having a bit of a rethink now.

I am still pleased that we have Stokes though, I fully expect Benji and Zemmama to leave next summer and knowing that we still have Deek, Nish, Stokes & Byrne as our remaining strikers means that we are still better off than most SPL sides.

Gerrintaethem
22-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Had pish service today IMO. So often the ball was just lumped up, and when it was attempted to play to feet, it would be at 100mph about a foot off the ground.

ArabHibee
22-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Doesn't it worry you though that we are so mediocre when one player is missing? It worries me.

matty_f
22-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Doesn't it worry you though that we are so mediocre when one player is missing? It worries me.

it does until we work out an effective alternative. the issue for me is when zouma is out we miss someone who can drive forward with the ball, or pass round the opposition. i think galbraith could do that job, but it could be the reason to go after arfield in january.

Winston Ingram
22-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I think the formation hasn't helped him. I think he's an off the shoulder striker that likes using the channels. With 4 up top the channels are already occupied leaving him with no where to go. His hold up play isn't the best and as a result he's struggling:agree:

Hibee_Rab
22-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Well I do agree he hasn't had the best of starts, his goals against stJ were also good:wink:

FRes Hibbie
22-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I think the formation hasn't helped him. I think he's an off the shoulder striker that likes using the channels. With 4 up top the channels are already occupied leaving him with no where to go. His hold up play isn't the best and as a result he's struggling:agree:

The best post on this thread :agree:. There's a reason no team plays with 4 obvious forwards.

Speedy
22-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Stokes is a good SPL striker or a mid table Championship/top of League 1 level but thats it. Like many other players at his level he is capable of brilliance (ibrox) but also at times you will wonder if its the same guy.

I thought it was a good signing but would far rather still have Steven Fletcher up front. Some of the people on this board in the summer trying to say that they would actually have given Fletch as a straight swap for Stokes and we would have gotten the better end of the deal....I hope they are having a bit of a rethink now.

I am still pleased that we have Stokes though, I fully expect Benji and Zemmama to leave next summer and knowing that we still have Deek, Nish, Stokes & Byrne as our remaining strikers means that we are still better off than most SPL sides.

I can't remember anyone suggesting that

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Stokesy rules!

Let's not hear all those Paul Wright comparisons that nobody had mentioned just until now, he's like a coiled spring just ready to strike and set the SPL alight.

If his country hadn't been cheated by Henry, he'd have undoubtedly been the star of the show in South Africa.

When did Messi ever score a goal like that at Ibrox?

RIP
23-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Compare the movement of the Saint Mirren strikers with the movement of Stokes

At times on Saturday I felt it was seven against eleven at worst, nine against eleven at best.

We need a higher workrate from the guy

Woody1985
23-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Compare the movement of the Saint Mirren strikers with the movement of Stokes

At times on Saturday I felt it was seven against eleven at worst, nine against eleven at best.

We need a higher workrate from the guy

:agree:

I didn't see the game at the weekend but he can be a lazy, huffy ****. If a pass isn't right to his feet he will sometimes let it go and not even attempt to catch it. Really pisses me off.

The best spell of the season from him was around 20/30 minutes vs Rangers. I'd expected that in every game when the signing was announced.

RIP
23-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Riordan is a better player this season with the benefit of pre-season training. Stokes by comparison is suffering because of the lack of it.

The main difference between St Mirren and us on Saturday was that their forwards were playing as a team. Going forward together and at speed.

We have a lot of flair players but as for playing as a team we are miles away from it. Benji, Deeks and Stokes are all too busy trying to win the match single handed than managing the link up and support play the team of 200 or Tornadoes produced. Yet the talent is there.

That's where we need to see the most improvement IMO

Andy74
23-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Riordan is a better player this season with the benefit of pre-season training. Stokes by comparison is suffering because of the lack of it.

The main difference between St Mirren and us on Saturday was that their forwards were playing as a team. Going forward together and at speed.

We have a lot of flair players but as for playing as a team we are miles away from it. Benji, Deeks and Stokes are all too busy trying to win the match single handed than managing the link up and support play the team of 200 or Tornadoes produced. Yet the talent is there.

Ah well, St Mirren's strikers didn't manage to score against us, at home.

CorrieHibs
23-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Burnley ripped us off then. If stokes was worth £2million then we were robbed for Fletcher at £3million. Flecther was far better. I've been very disappointed in him but it is still early days.

CapitalHibs
23-11-2009, 02:19 PM

You are absolutely spot-on:agree: Well seen!

Ell_Chrisso
23-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Would you rather have Nade, Wittenveem or Elliot:faf::faf:

Precisely!
Everyone needs to lighten up, and give the guy a chance..

I was'nt there on Saturday, but its pretty obvious to see, by highlights, that we were crap.
St Mirren had all the chances, and we had nothing, other than a Riordan class act.
So in that aspect, is everyone else in the team good enough???

The team are unbeaten in 8, give them a break.

(We would have LOST that game last season)

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2009, 02:55 PM

No, I'm not worried one bit, i was last season though. Just look at how far we have come in 6 short months, I'm actually looking forward to the future for a change.:notworthy:

IWasThere2016
23-11-2009, 03:19 PM

RIP
23-11-2009, 03:59 PM

Ah well, St Mirren's strikers didn't manage to score against us, at home.

My point exactly senor!! Imagine if our more talented strikers were to gel as well as St Mirren - then we really could compete with the old firm.

The only reason the Hamiltons, St Johnstones and St Mirrens can compete with us is that they work together better. They make up for class with graft, endeavour and tactical formations

Maybe it's just a question of time or maybe it's a question of a better attitude and application from our flair players?.

500miles
23-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I think people forget that Stokes is still only 21. He's struggled to hold down a first team place over the last year or so, and will only get better.

HFC 0-7
23-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Dont know what it is but I get the feeling that Stokes isnt liking it at the moment. The style we play means that the opponents always make sure they have plenty people defending. I think Stokes is the type of player that needs a wee bit space and is good at counter attacking. At the moment we cant counter attack as they have plenty defending. It might be why he was good at Falkirk as they had to hit on the counter attack as they were under pressure a lot more.

As much as I like the attacking style of play, it wont work that often, especially against the lower teams as they make sure there plenty defending. Its all about building play up against these teams, and without many in midfield this is difficult. I would move to a more normal formation 4-4-2 and stokes will comee better, or, he may need dropped to get the appetite back as it looks right now as if he can turn up, do nothing in the game, and still get picked.

ancient hibee
23-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Although he doesn't look fit his track record shows he can get goals in the SPL.Hughes busted a gut to get him so it's up to him to devise a system that will suit Stokes.To me that means Riordan and Stokes playing close together at the edge of the box making quick passes and leaving the wings free.It doesn't mean playing one striker through the middle and shoving the second best scorer in the SPL out on the wing.

HFC 0-7
23-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Although he doesn't look fit his track record shows he can get goals in the SPL.Hughes busted a gut to get him so it's up to him to devise a system that will suit Stokes.To me that means Riordan and Stokes playing close together at the edge of the box making quick passes and leaving the wings free.It doesn't mean playing one striker through the middle and shoving the second best scorer in the SPL out on the wing.

:top marks

lEXO
23-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry but your talking gash.The guys struggling a bit,but gash and over-rated, nah.His goal against Dundee Utd was a peach as was his goal against the Huns.This guy will get better with time and get us important goals, of that i,m sure.

RMG_82
24-11-2009, 12:59 AM
stokes has obviously got the quality but u can tell from his body language that he's a huffy wee ****. Riordans the same. Always got his arms in the air if he gets a bad pass. They both need to get their finger out and work their socks off. Maybe they think they are too good for the team they are in? but IMHO i dont think they will get to a higher level of football unless they add that hard work to their game and work on their hold up play.

Look at world class players like Tevez, Rooney, Messi, they all have natural talent that is backed up with a great desire to work hard for the team off the ball as well as on it.

If stokes and riordan could add this they would get more goals.
Doubt it'l happen though as you usually see this from a player before they hit 20.

But at least we dont have Nade and Whitshisname

silverhibee
24-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I think people forget that Stokes is still only 21. He's struggled to hold down a first team place over the last year or so, and will only get better.

He doesn't look very fit for a 21 year old football player though.

jacomo
24-11-2009, 02:37 PM

I think you're right. IIRC he played upfront on his own for Falkirk most of the time, but at Hibs he's playing in a slightly different formation.

My hope is that, as the team matures and learns together, our midfield will become more balanced and hold possession better. Our forwards will then get better service.

Perhaps playing a 4-4-2 with Riordan + one other would help, because Riordan naturally drops off a bit anyhow, giving more options in the middle.

Ozyhibby
28-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Murder today again. Just don't think he's got it. Hope I'm wrong but don't think so.
:boo hoo:

ancient hibee
28-11-2009, 09:29 PM
No confidence at all.

ano hibby
28-11-2009, 09:36 PM
No confidence at all.

Body language nearly as bad as AOB.
Think he needs to be benched.

truehibernian
28-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Stokes is a good player and at the moment it's just not falling for him. Definitely not as bad recently as some make out. He reminds me of Riordan and in a way Boyd, in that he will not be in the game for large parts, yet he will give 10 minutes of good football which may lead to a goal, set piece or good chance. Against Dundee Utd overall he was poor, yet he hit the woodwork, forced a great save, and had another chance he could have scored from. Against Rangers again he was poor overall, yet produced a fanstastic finish, and set up Nish near the end with a good run into the box. Be patient my Hibee chums, as he really is a good prospect this season :agree:

Cropley10
28-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Body language nearly as bad as AOB.
Think he needs to be benched.

AOB didn't have a clue. Stokesy does. His bod language isn't/wasn't great but he has a very, very long way til he gets to the AOB level, imho.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Whatever formation we play I am worried about him. Just doesn't look anywhere near sharp enough in most games which makes me wonder where the goal at hunbrox came from.

But we've got where we are without him playing to anywhere near his capabilities - I am still confident Yogi can get this boy to perform.

matty_f
28-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I genuinely don't think the issue lies with Stokes, more that we're not creating anywhere near the number of chances we could potentially be creating at the moment.

Stokes certainly has a role to play in that, though - but for me the games where I've thought he's looked at his sharpest were the ones where the rest of the team clicked as well.

I think we're a work in progress, and Yogi's said as much. I believe that Stokes will score a good few goals this season, and will finish the season well.

greenlex
28-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Whatever formation we play I am worried about him. Just doesn't look anywhere near sharp enough in most games which makes me wonder where the goal at hunbrox came from.

But we've got where we are without him playing to anywhere near his capabilities - I am still confident Yogi can get this boy to perform.
I am not so confident. A week or two on the bench might do him the world of good but Yogi seems reluctant to do this.

Ed De Gramo
28-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Needs to be dropped...

Today I lost count of how many times he got in Nishy's way :grr:

He's not suited to the formation IMO

Hibs90
29-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Like I said. Gash.

Expecting Rain
29-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Stikes is not struggling through lack of effort, he spends most of his time at the moment playing with his back to goal which doesn`t suit him at all, as a result he is frustrated and trying too hard at times, he`ll come good when the balance of the team is better.

silverhibee
29-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Stokes is a good player and at the moment it's just not falling for him. Definitely not as bad recently as some make out. He reminds me of Riordan and in a way Boyd, in that he will not be in the game for large parts, yet he will give 10 minutes of good football which may lead to a goal, set piece or good chance. Against Dundee Utd overall he was poor, yet he hit the woodwork, forced a great save, and had another chance he could have scored from. Against Rangers again he was poor overall, yet produced a fanstastic finish, and set up Nish near the end with a good run into the box. Be patient my Hibee chums, as he really is a good prospect this season :agree:

He reminds me of Stephen Dobbie. :greengrin

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:14 PM

You clearly were not at the game yesterday then IMO! :confused:

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I genuinely don't think the issue lies with Stokes, more that we're not creating anywhere near the number of chances we could potentially be creating at the moment.

Stokes certainly has a role to play in that, though - but for me the games where I've thought he's looked at his sharpest were the ones where the rest of the team clicked as well.

I think we're a work in progress, and Yogi's said as much. I believe that Stokes will score a good few goals this season, and will finish the season well.

Stokes looked less fit yesterday that I am and I have two sons older than he is! :cool2:

Something is not right with him and Yogi needs to get it sorted before he is allowed to waste a jersey like he did yesterday until he was subbed! :agree:

Thankfully, Benji contributed a lot more when he came on and I believe would do so regularly if given a decent run in the team! :wink:

Galbraith must be about due a run in the team soon too! :agree:

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:22 PM

No it most definately is mate! :confused:

Yesterday was the worst of several very poor games by this under-performing player who doesn't even look interested let alone fit or motivated to at least be committed to tackles and challenges! :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Stokes looked less fit yesterday that I am and I have two sons older than he is! :cool2:

Something is not right with him and Yogi needs to get it sorted before he is allowed to waste a jersey like he did yesterday until he was subbed! :agree:

Thankfully, Benji contributed a lot more when he came on and I believe would do so regularly if given a decent run in the team! :wink:

Galbraith must be about due a run in the team soon too! :agree:

I don't think the formation suits him. I'd like to see him in a 442 up top with Riordan before I write him off. I like to wait a while before I make a judgement on a player.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 07:23 PM
He doesn't look very fit for a 21 year old football player though.

:top marks

Wish I'd seen that one before my last 3 or 4 posts! :agree:

Would have saved me some now wasted time! :wink:

smurf
29-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Like I said. Gash.

:faf:

Can i politely suggest that you get real?:wink:

IMHO Stokes current form should see him lose his place. However, there's no doubt he has ability. He may not be currently producing it but suggesting he's "Gash" is ridiculous.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't think the formation suits him. I'd like to see him in a 442 up top with Riordan before I write him off. I like to wait a while before I make a judgement on a player.

Maybe it doesn't, I've not done all my coaching badges yet! :greengrin

One thing is sure and that is that the guy is playing like a loser who isn't fit and has no motivation to even try and win a ball if there is an opposing player anywhere near it! :agree:

It needs sorted and if it can't be by next Saturday he should not play - END OF! :grr:

EDIT! Ah, the "sting in the tail" that I nearly missed! :wink:

As a top sportsman, you will be aware that the period of time that he has now been at the club should be more than sufficient for him to have achieved the necessary level of fitness AND match fitness to be performing to his best! :agree:

I think he has had more than sufficient opportunity to show us all what he can do and IMO, he is still not fit enough but, perhaps more importantly, he is neither motivated nor committed enough to be holding down a first team place when there are others who deserve a starting place as I have alluded to in an earlier post! :agree:

For future reference (for me so that I am not considered to be behaving precipitously or prematurely), how long is a sufficient "while" in this regard Dad? :greengrin

fife hfc
29-11-2009, 08:01 PM

:top marksexactly what i said on another thread and is the reason we are not getting the best out of stokes. Playing deek and Zemmama in the wider midfield areas limits Stokes as both do not hug the byline to give us width and allow stokes the chance to run into the channels, with them moving in field stokes has nowhere to go and thus is less effective. this I believe is also the reason are strikers are static as they if Stokes etc make a run they will run into an area where another striker is already occupying. We need 4 natural midfielders galbraith hugging the left touchline and Zouma hugging the right leaving space for our two forwards to run into space.

lEXO
29-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Like I said. Gash.
Like i said, your talking gash.Form is temporary, class is permenant. Fair dues he,s not playing well but he,s not gash. :rolleyes:

Hibs90
29-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Like i said, your talking gash.Form is temporary, class is permenant. Fair dues he,s not playing well but he,s not gash. :rolleyes:

Right now he is.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Right now he is.

Christian Nade has scored 2 in 2, that doesn't make him a prolific striker. He's out and out pish.

Stokesy WILL score an absolute barrowload for Hibs. Fact.

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2009, 08:42 PM
EDIT! Ah, the "sting in the tail" that I nearly missed! :wink:

As a top sportsman, you will be aware that the period of time that he has now been at the club should be more than sufficient for him to have achieved the necessary level of fitness AND match fitness to be performing to his best! :agree:

I think he has had more than sufficient opportunity to show us all what he can do and IMO, he is still not fit enough but, perhaps more importantly, he is neither motivated nor committed enough to be holding down a first team place when there are others who deserve a starting place as I have alluded to in an earlier post! :agree:

For future reference (for me so that I am not considered to be behaving precipitously or prematurely), how long is a sufficient "while" in this regard Dad? :greengrin

:greengrin Former top sportsman.

I'd say he needs another couple of months before we write him off. Hang fire just now - I'll give you a shout to let you know.

BTW who is the more motivated guy waiting to take his place? Benji looks like he can't be arsed most of the time and most folk have written Nish off as pish.

TornadoHibby
29-11-2009, 09:01 PM
:greengrin Former top sportsman.

I'd say he needs another couple of months before we write him off. Hang fire just now - I'll give you a shout to let you know.

BTW who is the more motivated guy waiting to take his place? Benji looks like he can't be arsed most of the time and most folk have written Nish off as pish.

At the moment anyone else would be my honest answer! :agree:

Stokes is simply not at the races whichever way you look at what he is doing on match days! :cool2:

It's like we are virtually playing with a man down when he starts! :grr:

lEXO
29-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Right now he is.
He may be just now, but you did,nt say that did you.Deeks can play gash sometimes, as all players can, but that does,nt make him gash or over rated as you stated earlier about Stokes.This guy will get us goals played in the right system.The main thing is we are still joint second in the league, and considering some of the real gash we watched last season and before you should get real. :rolleyes:

Aubenas
29-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Whatever else about Stokes, he's always flat footed when the ball's coming; it's really noticeable and means he never wins 50/50 balls.

silverhibee
30-11-2009, 12:28 AM
You hear of managers down South talking about young players coming through the system and learning there trade but also making massive amounts of money as well, Stokes imo comes into this bracket, signed up by Arsenal as a young lad and would have made a few quid there, loaned out to Falkirk for a season and done well for them and bagged a few goals, then got a move to Sunderland and was on a very good wage with them, but didn't play much for them and then fell out with his manager for off the field problems, ie out drinking the night before games and other problems.
He then gets a move to Hibs and becomes Hibs best paid player at the club, good signing on fee and a pay of from Sunderland.
At 21 Stokesy is a very rich young lad and has investments in Dublin, ie top class boozer and property.
So does Stokes have the desire and motivation to get his career back on track, or is he just going through the motions and picking his wage up at Hibs and not really caring about fitness levels as he knows that Yogi will keep on starting with him, and that at 21 he has already made enough money to see him for the rest of his time, thats if he doesn't spend it all on Guiness.:wink:

Kato
30-11-2009, 12:33 AM
He may not be currently producing it but suggesting he's "Gash" is ridiculous.

If he lacks fitness and doesn't have the attitude then he's gash. He could have all the skill in the world but if he can't be bothered honing it properly and putting into practice then it ain't worth doodly squat.

Give Byrne his place from now until he realises Hibs' isn't a holiday camp.

brydekirk
30-11-2009, 07:44 AM
his first touch is poor. he gets frustrated when things dont work out for him. he then tries too hard. this makes him look clumsy or unfit. he needs to relax and believe in himself :agree:

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 08:34 AM
You hear of managers down South talking about young players coming through the system and learning there trade but also making massive amounts of money as well, Stokes imo comes into this bracket, signed up by Arsenal as a young lad and would have made a few quid there, loaned out to Falkirk for a season and done well for them and bagged a few goals, then got a move to Sunderland and was on a very good wage with them, but didn't play much for them and then fell out with his manager for off the field problems, ie out drinking the night before games and other problems.
He then gets a move to Hibs and becomes Hibs best paid player at the club, good signing on fee and a pay of from Sunderland.
At 21 Stokesy is a very rich young lad and has investments in Dublin, ie top class boozer and property.
So does Stokes have the desire and motivation to get his career back on track, or is he just going through the motions and picking his wage up at Hibs and not really caring about fitness levels as he knows that Yogi will keep on starting with him, and that at 21 he has already made enough money to see him for the rest of his time, thats if he doesn't spend it all on Guiness.:wink:

That could well be part or all of the problem but whatever the problem is it needs to be sorted out and pronto for the good of the team! :grr:

Craig_in_Prague
30-11-2009, 08:40 AM
If he lacks fitness and doesn't have the attitude then he's gash. He could have all the skill in the world but if he can't be bothered honing it properly and putting into practice then it ain't worth doodly squat.

Give Byrne his place from now until he realises Hibs' isn't a holiday camp.

IMO I'd like to see Benji back up top, with Zemamma moving inside, Wotherspoon back at RM, McCormack does well enough at RB.

RIP
30-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Thing is that Stokes should be making the runs off Nish's flicks. What Saturday told me is that he's not sharp enough over five yards to get into the right positions.

Anthony Stokes is in my opinion the oldest 21-year-old I've ever seen. As said elsewhere on this thread he is leaden-footed. Looks like he's carrying too much lower gut and backside when he moves.

Two weeks away from the first team with a fitness trainer would do him the world of good.

Part/Time Supporter
30-11-2009, 08:47 AM

He then gets a move to Hibs and becomes Hibs best paid player at the club, good signing on fee and a pay of from Sunderland. At 21 Stokesy is a very rich young lad and has investments in Dublin, ie top class boozer and property.

which are probably worth **** all now

Leithenhibby
30-11-2009, 08:53 AM
his first touch is poor. he gets frustrated when things dont work out for him. he then tries too hard. this makes him look clumsy or unfit. he needs to relax and believe in himself :agree:

I think you are spot on with a lot of your points :agree:

Strikers feed on confidence and he comes across that he doesn't believe in himself the way he should.

Also thought that Nish came on to a game once Stokes was subed...

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Thing is that Stokes should be making the runs off Nish's flicks. What Saturday told me is that he's not sharp enough over five yards to get into the right positions.

Anthony Stokes is in my opinion the oldest 21-year-old I've ever seen. As said elsewhere on this thread he is leaden-footed. Looks like he's carrying too much lower gut and backside when he moves.

Two weeks away from the first team with a fitness trainer would do him the world of good.

Only if he works hard for the two weeks with purpose otherwise a complete waste of time! :confused:

I'm not convinced he would as he has had many weeks of full time training since he joined Hibs and it doesn't seem to be working based upon what I have seen from him over the past few games, most particularly on Saturday! :agree:

Andy74
30-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Only if he works hard for the two weeks with purpose otherwise a complete waste of time! :confused:

I'm not convinced he would as he has had many weeks of full time training since he joined Hibs and it doesn't seem to be working based upon what I have seen from him over the past few games, most particularly on Saturday! :agree:

Remmeber riordan didn't really look the same last season for us and many were calling for him to be dropped or go on intensive training. He didn't seem to be getting fit months after joining us.

He's now had the benefit of pre season with the club and is now back to form.

I think Stokes might struggle to catch up in the same way and it may even be next year befor he is really firing.

TornadoHibby
30-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Remmeber riordan didn't really look the same last season for us and many were calling for him to be dropped or go on intensive training. He didn't seem to be getting fit months after joining us.

He's now had the benefit of pre season with the club and is now back to form.

I think Stokes might struggle to catch up in the same way and it may even be next year befor he is really firing.

So you don't think that two weeks of serious intensive fitness training would improve his general level of fitness sufficiently then? :confused:

It may not be a fitness driven issue anyway in which case it could take much longer to rectify if indeed it could be satisfactorily! :cool2:

Andy74
30-11-2009, 10:10 AM
So you don't think that two weeks of serious intensive fitness training would improve his general level of fitness sufficiently then? :confused:

It may not be a fitness driven issue anyway in which case it could take much longer to rectify if indeed it could be satisfactorily! :cool2:

Just comparing it to last year when even after weeks or months of training Derek still didn't look his usual self and yes, many on here wanted him dropped.

Stokes has the ability but it just isn't working for him right now. He seems to work hard enough so I think he's suffering a bit from not doing the pre-season with the team. Same could be said for Benji who isn't his usual self although doing okay in a slightly different way to what we are used to seeing from him.