PDA

View Full Version : Go on my bonny, bonny boys.

Rory89
20-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Has anyone noticed the older guy who sits in the East Stand on the Famous Five side, and regularly belts out strange barely coherant songs whilst everyone else sits there in silence?

I first noticed him at Hamilton away this year the day before I went to university, and it was quite amusing how whilst everyone else was pissed off and grumbling with discontent, every now and then you just heard in this strange voice "Go on my bonny, bonny boys", or "you are my bonny, bonny Hibee boys". :greengrin

Anyway, I was telling a fellow football fan at uni about this because he was mentioning this weird singing lady he sees at Arsenal, and it kind of caught on. Everyone on my floor and the floor above, male and female, every now and again shout out "you are my bonny, bonny boys" in this guys funny singing voice. My brothers flatmates all do the same, it's spreading on quickly.

So if anyone on here knows him, do me a favour and tell him he's started a trend in Glasgow. I'm guessing he'd be surprised if he knew how many people immitate his voice on a regular basis. Best Hibs fan going.
:notworthy:

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Tura loora, loora... tura loora aaaayyyyyy

500miles
20-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Has anyone noticed the older guy who sits in the East Stand on the Famous Five side, and regularly belts out strange barely coherant songs whilst everyone else sits there in silence?

I first noticed him at Hamilton away this year the day before I went to university, and it was quite amusing how whilst everyone else was pissed off and grumbling with discontent, every now and then you just heard in this strange voice "Go on my bonny, bonny boys", or "you are my bonny, bonny Hibee boys". :greengrin

Anyway, I was telling a fellow football fan at uni about this because he was mentioning this weird singing lady he sees at Arsenal, and it kind of caught on. Everyone on my floor and the floor above, male and female, every now and again shout out "you are my bonny, bonny boys" in this guys funny singing voice. My brothers flatmates all do the same, it's spreading on quickly.

So if anyone on here knows him, do me a favour and tell him he's started a trend in Glasgow. I'm guessing he'd be surprised if he knew how many people immitate his voice on a regular basis. Best Hibs fan going.

Saw him at the Hamilton. Starts to grate when you're in a proper mood.

Gatecrasher
20-11-2009, 03:14 PM
the guys brilliant i join in sometimes for a laugh :agree:

Winston Ingram
20-11-2009, 03:24 PM
i remember sitting in front of him during a Dundee U game and at the time Russell Latapy was stalling on a new deal. Everytime people started singh Russell's name he would shout 20 grand as that's how much he believed he was asking for. Was funny at first but it got very annoying annoying

Hibee87
20-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Try sitting in front of him for a seaoson and see how much you liek it :grr:

incidently i was watching somthing cant remeber if it was afilm or somhting to do with WW1 recently and the trooo laa rooo laa song was played, had a wee chuckle to myself

The Green Goblin
20-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I remember when I used to go to the east stand, there was a guy who might be your man. No matter what was happening in the game, he used to stand there and half-sing "come on the cabbage, come on my bonny bonny boys" over and over.

I thought it was pretty funny and we used to look out for him. Don`t think it`s irritating though - totally harmless, he`s just in there supporting the team in his own way. Good luck to him.

GG

Mon Dieu4
20-11-2009, 03:28 PM
He's tremendous & he nearly broke my pals legs by missing his seat & landing in my mates lap one game :faf::faf::faf::top marks

Hibee87
20-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Saw him at the Hamilton. Starts to grate when you're in a proper mood.

Few folk were about to swing for him that day, was sititng jsut along from me, then he started rantign at the woman at half time how hes a man and will kill the beast and she should cook it or comthign like that :faf:

Mon Dieu4
20-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Few folk were about to swing for him that day, was sititng jsut along from me, then he started rantign at the woman at half time how hes a man and will kill the beast and she should cook it or comthign like that :faf:

Daz is there any truth in the claim that you went to Derek Zoolander school for kids who can't read good?:faf:

Broken Gnome
20-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Was he down the front at Hamilton? Fairly sure it turned out his son (or other relative) posts on here.

Rory89
20-11-2009, 03:35 PM
As well as the bonny boys stuff there's a couple of his songs that have caught on round here. Thing is, I'm now not sure if they are things he's actually sung, or just our interpretation of his songs. Can anyone confirm if they've heard him sing one of these corking lines, or if we've got it wrong:

"I had a bonny, bonny horse, but the horse died".

"One for the road and one for my baby".

If it turns out either or both of these are straight from the horses mouth (excuse the pun), then to quote the thread about annoying sayings, I would be "cheesing". :greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-11-2009, 03:40 PM
He's been doing that for about 15 years, I think.

HibbyAndy
20-11-2009, 03:41 PM

:agree:

Donkeys.

HFC93
20-11-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypLjKmwNXY

is this the guy?

Barney McGrew
20-11-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypLjKmwNXY

is this the guy?

He looks like he's sitting in the Wheatfield Stand at the PBS :hilarious

CMac1988
20-11-2009, 04:13 PM
That guy's an absolute legend!! I can see how he's seen as a pain in the ass by some folks, but the first few home games of the season i thought that he'd maybe passed on as there was no sight of him in his usual location, and for the first time that I can remember there was no 'Come on my Bonny Bonny lads' being shouted out at completely randomn times.

Lo and behold though, there he was in all his glory givin' it big licks at the Hamilton game. :thumbsup:

RoscoHibby
20-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Daz is there any truth in the claim that you went to Derek Zoolander school for kids who can't read good?:faf:

:bye: :faf:

cammy1969
20-11-2009, 04:23 PM
is it the same guy who sits inn the back row of east and always shouted ziteli when he was here

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-11-2009, 05:02 PM
His two other favourites are.....Hoy Stevie Wonder....or Hoy, Mister McGhoo to the lino when he is in front of us. He has great novelty value though, and always finishes the Hibernian Lullaby even if we score half way through it. He did once shout at Felippe Morais that he was a " ******ing disgrace to Willie Ormond" by wearing that shirt. That was stretching it a bit for me.:clown:

hibbybrian
20-11-2009, 05:12 PM

:agree:

Donkeys.

Way more than 15 years :agree: I remember him well - and the last match I was at was Murderwell March 1995 - part-timer me :devil:

there is a fairly recent thread on the Bounce about him - Stuart Reid aka Rusty Trowel from Muirhouse - there was another thread years ago which had a few pics too but I can't find the thread :grr:

hibbybrian
20-11-2009, 05:14 PM
He did once shout at Felippe Morais that he was a " ******ing disgrace to Willie Ormond" by wearing that shirt. That was stretching it a bit for me.:clown:

I somehow doubt Willie is up there in heaven cursing Hibs for punting Morais :greengrin

King Paddy
20-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Remember when i sat in the east the bloke would also sing come on the colour of the grass, anybody recollect this song?. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway great entertainment. I think we could with a few more singers among our support. Going back to the late 50s early 60s their was a bloke in the old north stand who would shout out at every home match we are the people or peepell so it sounded.

jabis
20-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Remember when i sat in the east the bloke would also sing come on the colour of the grass, anybody recollect this song?. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway great entertainment. I think we could with a few more singers among our support. Going back to the late 50s early 60s their was a bloke in the old north stand who would shout out at every home match we are the people or peepell so it sounded.

:thumbsup:.....love the humour :thumbsup:

Thecat23
20-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I mind he came down the front to say something to the steward, it was the Hibs v Livvi game 7-0 :greengrin Anyway it was his b'day as he was telling us/anyone who was listening. I shouted happy b'day big man! Then he come over and says cheers pal, but i'm ******ing raging. I've been waiting on ma free bus pass for weeks and now am a pensioner i went right doon the library this morning and guess what? He said they ******ing closed it cos of some old guy died who worked there and cause of that i had to pay to get doon here the night!

I have to admit i was in fits!! On another note i also stuck £10 on Hibs to win 5-0 that night and for the first time in my life didn't cheer when the 6th went in everyone round me though were laughing as i pulled my top over my head. They were 40/1 as well :grr:

Did cheer for the 7th tho :wink:

sleeping giant
20-11-2009, 08:47 PM
There is a auld guy who can hardly walk that sits a few rows down from me in the FF lower.
Every now and then he booms out "cmon the Hibees" and waves his scarf of his Yogi flag ontop of his walking stick:greengrin
I love the auld guy !:cool2::notworthy:

Mon The Hibees:notworthy:

Removed
20-11-2009, 08:50 PM

MussyHibby's dad IIRC :thumbsup:

hibs7062footbal
20-11-2009, 08:53 PM
i remember the guy that used to shout come on the colour of the grass,what about the woman that used to shout , come on the hibernian .

jabis
20-11-2009, 10:31 PM
i remember the guy that used to shout come on the colour of the grass,what about the woman that used to shout , come on the hibernian .

she's now an ADMIN :agree:

Broken Gnome
20-11-2009, 11:28 PM

He had a bottle of beer back in his hand literally five minutes after full time at that game. I imagine he hoarded them nicely for safekeeping. Some guy :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
20-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I remember some pissed up individual singing "I can't help falling in love with you" by Elvis in the East Stand every now and again. Superb. You just couldn't help but join in with him. :thumbsup:

Steve-O
21-11-2009, 12:30 AM
[/B]

she's now an ADMIN :agree:

Really? "Cmon Hibernian" as I used to call her is an admin on here?

Well I know it's not HibbyD, so who is it?

Hibby D
21-11-2009, 02:05 AM

:dunno:

Most definitely not me - I'm very quiet at the football :greengrin

Steve-O
21-11-2009, 02:14 AM
:dunno:

Most definitely not me - I'm very quiet at the football :greengrin

I've seen the person before, hence why I know it's not you. She's been shouting "Come on Hibernian" in a shrill tone since at least 1992! :agree:

zlatan
21-11-2009, 02:27 AM
I've seen the person before, hence why I know it's not you. She's been shouting "Come on Hibernian" in a shrill tone since at least 1992! :agree:

Always remember her from when I was a cub, the old man and I would always share a chuckle whenever we heard her. That would of been from about 93/94 onwards.

Only hear her occasionally these days, no wonder but as her voice must be done in.

cockneymike
21-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I remember her, i used to sit near her in the family enclosure back in the early 90s, and she was so loud; then when I moved to the east a few years later, you'd occasionally still here her from the other side of the pitch!!!!!

BT58
21-11-2009, 10:19 AM
now moved to the west stand upper,[used to be near the auld guy in the east]
you can still hear yon guy were we are :thumbsup::thumbsup:
hb

mikethehibee69
21-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Try sitting in front of him for a seaoson and see how much you liek it :grr:

incidently i was watching somthing cant remeber if it was afilm or somhting to do with WW1 recently and the trooo laa rooo laa song was played, had a wee chuckle to myself
I Did and am now sitting in West Stand with my cucumber sandwiches:wink::faf:

Phil D. Rolls
21-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I think that people should remember that this old chap is a human being who happens to enjoy himself at the game. He's not bothering anybody, and maybe we shouldn't bother about him.

Betty Boop
21-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I think that people should remember that this old chap is a human being who happens to enjoy himself at the game. He's not bothering anybody, and maybe we shouldn't bother about him.

:agree: He is part of the East Stand match day experience! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
21-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Which is why I now sit in the FF :duck: Only joking. :greengrin

MussyHibby
21-11-2009, 01:13 PM

I'll tell my dad you're all asking for him!:wink:

I used to sit with him, now in FF Upper.
My sister and her man was the same, now in the West
My brother still in the East but at the other end.

Tells a story eh! :wink:

But yeah, no doubt he can amuse and is Hibs through and through!

Stewart (not Stuart), bang on about Muirhouse and that he's a bricky (rusty trowel:confused:)

BTW, what does IIRC mean?

Phil D. Rolls
21-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Stewart (not Stuart), bang on about Muirhouse and that he's a bricky (rusty trowel:confused:)

"If I Remember Correctly"

RickyS
21-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Yer Auld Man is an East Stand legend, I try not to sit to far away from him, cos at least if the game is gash, he always gives me a right good laugh.
tell him to keep it up:thumbsup:

jabis
21-11-2009, 02:18 PM

'twas a joke,a bad one,but a joke nonetheless :grr::greengrin

ArabHibee
21-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Mussy

I've had the delight of speaking to your Dad last season, even let me stand on his seat to see the end of a game!

Saw him at the Hamilton game, what he said to moaning woman at half time was absolutely class! :thumbsup:

divot
21-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Exactly! What a brilliant thread, this guy is a legend. I've never reposted before but this deserves it - here's what I wrote on the "Funniest things you have ever seen/experienced at a Hibs game" thread... :greengrin

- - -

No question for me - it was East Stand, near the FF end a few years back at a derby. There's the old guy at the back of the FF who is generally in a state of severe refreshment, singing loudly and wildly out of tune, and so slowly that it's physically impossible for anyone to join in.

Anyway, middle of Hibs/Hearts, he's in the thick of a stunningly drawn-out and loud "Bonnie Boys" rendition, which gets slower and slower towards the end, eventually ending in a deafening and deliberate "soooooooooo come ooooan maaah boooooonniiiiiiieeee booooooooooooooooys". As he finishes (presumably to sit down and gather his strength for a few minutes), a strange muted atmosphere falls across that end of the stand. A few seconds later, in the same unmistakable voice from the back of the stand, comes a low, deliberate and piercing growl: "get in tae these motherf*****s".

I ****ing pashed myself, I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard at a Hibs game. In all the years I've never heard the guy swear (before or since) though I'm sure he must have - but he built up to it beautifully. Still funny...