PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane straight talking! nhc

bringbackjoeT!!
20-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Give a listen to Keane's thoughts on the Henry handball controversy. Despite the fact I dont really like the guy, I have to agree with nearly everything he says. The way he deals with that journo- priceless!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8370497.stm

matty_f
20-11-2009, 02:42 PM
He's spot on, to be honest.

Rory89
20-11-2009, 02:52 PM
The man is a complete tosser.

I'm not talking about his opinions on the Henry incident, he can have whatever opinion he likes. It's the fact that whenever I see him being interviewed he's shouting his mouth off at some reporter. Does he expect not to get asked his opinion on this incident? Football people with less relevance to the goings on of the Ireland national team are being asked about it, so why does he act like he's on his period when someone asks him?

He may not rate the reporting, but he's hardly being asked what his wife's like in bed so the guy should just give an opinion politely or say he doesn't want to talk about it. I think Keane's a pish manager, does that mean if I was to meet him I'd be entitled to talk to him like dirt?

lapsedhibee
20-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I'm not talking about his opinions on the Henry incident, he can have whatever opinion he likes. It's the fact that whenever I see him being interviewed he's shouting his mouth off at some reporter. Does he expect not to get asked his opinion on this incident? Football people with less relevance to the goings on of the Ireland national team are being asked about it, so why does he act like he's on his period when someone asks him?

He may not rate the reporting, but he's hardly being asked what his wife's like in bed so the guy should just give an opinion politely or say he doesn't want to talk about it. I think Keane's a pish manager, does that mean if I was to meet him I'd be entitled to talk to him like dirt?

Eh? The only journo he spoke harshly to was the guy who left his phone ringing instead of switching it off! Keane asked him if he was going to switch if off instead of allowing it to continue ringing, and the journo said he was going to let it keep on ringing!

HibbyAndy
20-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Keanes had a chip on his shoulder since 2002 WC when he withdrew from the team, summit to do with the guy not phoning him.

Delboy4
20-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Eh? The only journo he spoke harshly to was the guy who left his phone ringing instead of switching it off! Keane asked him if he was going to switch if off instead of allowing it to continue ringing, and the journo said he was going to let it keep on ringing!

Yeah, quite right too.
Complete bad manners to let his phone ring and ring, I would have let rip into the journo as well...

:top marks

lapsedhibee
20-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Keanes had a chip on his shoulder since 2002 WC when he withdrew from the team, summit to do with the guy not phoning him.

There did seem to be a hint of a smidgeon of a suspicion in that interview that he doesn't rate the FAI too highly. :hmmm:

Rory89
20-11-2009, 03:32 PM

So if I met you in the street and you asked me my opinion on the Henry incident, and I talked to you like Keane did there, you'd be alright with it? He seemed like a hissy little twat to me, "what am I going to do about it" etc.

The phone thing is fair enough but he's in a foul mood throughout the whole thing, as he is in every single interview I see him in.

lapsedhibee
20-11-2009, 03:36 PM
So if I met you in the street and you asked me my opinion on the Henry incident, and I talked to you like Keane did there, you'd be alright with it? He seemed like a hissy little twat to me, "what am I going to do about it" etc.

The phone thing is fair enough but he's in a foul mood throughout the whole thing, as he is in every single interview I see him in.

Think that's just the way he is - not very jocular - but didn't really see any particular rudeness to the guys asking him about the international match. Nothing to compare with the way Strapon sometimes carries on, for example.

Horse
20-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Give a listen to Keane's thoughts on the Henry handball controversy. Despite the fact I dont really like the guy, I have to agree with nearly everything he says. The way he deals with that journo- priceless!

I don't like Keane either but it has to be said that was a class interview! Very funny to watch!

Rory89
20-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Think that's just the way he is - not very jocular - but didn't really see any particular rudeness to the guys asking him about the international match. Nothing to compare with the way Strapon sometimes carries on, for example.

One mans jocular is another mans absolute bellend I suppose.

lapsedhibee
20-11-2009, 03:51 PM
One mans jocular is another mans absolute bellend I suppose.

I don't like Keane either, because of the way he was as a player, but don't mind the interviews too much. Thought he was quite restrained on occasion when journos were prodding him during the long sequence of pointless/winless games early in the season.

jacomo
20-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't like Keane either but it has to be said that was a class interview! Very funny to watch!

:agree:

I'm not surprised he treats journos with contempt. Most of them have already written the story and just want to get the soundbite that fits it.

I imagine this won't get much coverage, because it doesn't fit the story... all of Ireland is supposed to be in mourning, remember, after the most blatant piece of cheating since Troy.

NOLA
20-11-2009, 04:25 PM
"who's phone is that?" "why don't you turn it off?" "are you just going to let it ring then" :faf: GO KEANO GO!

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2009, 04:26 PM
He has one thing right, when he talks about the terrible decision to award Ireland a penalty earlier in the campaign. Nobody wants that game replayed.

O'Rourke3
20-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Generally Keane comes over badly - however can't see he said or did anything wrong in that interview. My favourite - send them an e-mail, class :thumbsup:

monktonharp
20-11-2009, 04:44 PM

He may not rate the reporting, but he's hardly being asked what his wife's like in bed so the guy should just give an opinion politely or say he doesn't want to talk about it. I think Keane's a pish manager, does that mean if I was to meet him I'd be entitled to talk to him like dirt?:agree:he was arrogant,and on the verge of being abuive,to the reporter Iheard on the wireless. don't know anything about switching a phone off etc,but Keane has a massive chip on his shooder! arrogant twat

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2009, 04:58 PM
It is worth remembering that, despite going out of two major tournaments because of poor refereeing, Scotland behaved with a bit more dignity than Ireland have. I'd feel more sympathy for them if their players had never cheated in their lives, but like all pros. they must have.

Aubenas
20-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Keane let down his country in the worst possible way by walking out on the squad the week before the world cup - because he thought the FAI hadn't prepared well enough - but it was ok for him to wreck the team's chances.

As for dignity - I don't think a country which is actively considering readmitting drunken wee nyaffs to the national squad can claim any high ground. I think the Irish squad and officials have been pretty restrained in their comments.

soupy
20-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I take it he has no plans to head back to Ireland anytime soon, :greengrin:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Keane let down his country in the worst possible way by walking out on the squad the week before the world cup - because he thought the FAI hadn't prepared well enough - but it was ok for him to wreck the team's chances.

As for dignity - I don't think a country which is actively considering readmitting drunken wee nyaffs to the national squad can claim any high ground. I think the Irish squad and officials have been pretty restrained in their comments.

That is just a cheap shot about readmitting players who have been thrown out of the national set up. Did Keane not return to Ireland after he walked out at the World Cup.

The point is, refereeing decisions tend to even themselves out, and appealing against individual results is a bad road to go down. If Ireland don't appeal the result, fair play. If they do, then they aren't a grown up football nation.

Leithenhibby
20-11-2009, 05:37 PM

It's got to be said that the man is spot-on :agree: and I need to go as I'm off to send FIFA an e-mail :faf:

Some of his points are as clear as your nose on your face. Well done.

Aubenas
20-11-2009, 05:52 PM
That is just a cheap shot about readmitting players who have been thrown out of the national set up. Did Keane not return to Ireland after he walked out at the World Cup.

The point is, refereeing decisions tend to even themselves out, and appealing against individual results is a bad road to go down. If Ireland don't appeal the result, fair play. If they do, then they aren't a grown up football nation.

We usually agree on stuff, Rolls, but we'll need to differ on this. Keane never did go back, and, in fact much of what he said in his outburst at McCarthy was accurate - it was when and how he did it that was arrogant.

I know decisions even out, but this wasn't a case of interpreting ball to hand or a 50/50 tackle. And I don't think Ireland have been small minded about this - over 4000 French fans have also made complaints.

And I don't think it's a cheap shot about the Scotland players. They showed complete contempt for country and teammates in getting drunk, and then compounded it with their childish gestures. Why would we want people like them representing us at anything?

lapsedhibee
20-11-2009, 05:57 PM
We usually agree on stuff, Rolls, but we'll need to differ on this. Keane never did go back, and, in fact much of what he said in his outburst at McCarthy was accurate - it was when and how he did it that was arrogant.

Went back to the Ireland team two years later when Brian Kerr was manager.

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2009, 06:01 PM

I know decisions even out, but this wasn't a case of interpreting ball to hand or a 50/50 tackle. And I don't think Ireland have been small minded about this - over 4000 French fans have also made complaints.

And I don't think it's a cheap shot about the Scotland players. They showed complete contempt for country and teammates in getting drunk, and then compounded it with their childish gestures. Why would we want people like them representing us at anything?

It's a minor thing to disagree on. FWIW, I wouldn't have the Crab or McGregor back - not because of the drinking, but because they were so arrogant after it sticking the V's up.

I think as far as the Ireland v France match goes it was a case that the player cheated without getting caught. It happens and you take it on the chin.

Leithenhibby
20-11-2009, 06:18 PM
It's a minor thing to disagree on. FWIW, I wouldn't have the Crab or McGregor back - not because of the drinking, but because they were so arrogant after it sticking the V's up.

I think as far as the Ireland v France match goes it was a case that the player cheated without getting caught. It happens and you take it on the chin.

It does happen and in this day and age we have to put a stop to it.

It's ruining our game and I for one want any technology that we have available, that will put a stop to all this almost, childish behaviour by men that are being pay an arm'n leg, for what!

As Roy Keane stated, there is just too much money involved now not to have it. I find it all very off Putin and I'm sure this is driving many people away from our beautiful game..

CallumLaidlaw
20-11-2009, 06:22 PM
He just sounds bitter in that interview.
He also just likes to be controversial.

hibbybrian
20-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Why would we want people like them representing us at anything?

charades? :devil:

Aubenas
20-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Went back to the Ireland team two years later when Brian Kerr was manager.

Ooops - you're right. Have this kind of amnesia thing surrounding the name Brian Kerr:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2009, 06:41 PM
It does happen and in this day and age we have to put a stop to it.

It's ruining our game and I for one want any technology that we have available, that will put a stop to all this almost, childish behaviour by men that are being pay an arm'n leg, for what!

As Roy Keane stated, there is just too much money involved now not to have it. I find it all very off Putin and I'm sure this is driving many people away from our beautiful game..

That's fine, and in this case it's quite straightforward. Imagine it had happened in the first minute, would the case for a replay be as strong when they have 89 more minutes to make up the difference?

As well as that, if the foul had happened in the 89th minute of the first game of the group section, would it have attracted the same outcry? Can we really run tournaments when every decision missed by referees leads to a request for a re-match?

Of course TV evidence could have been used in the ground. But would that be fair to teams who have also suffered a dodgy decision, but didn't have the same amount of cameras there? And what about decisions that the camera misses?

Think of the Scottish Cup, for example. Say we got put out in the first round by Burntisland Shipyard and there was a single camera there that failed to record a significant error. Is it fair that Aberdeen, for example, could appeal a similar decision at Parkhead because there was blanket coverage of the game?

You have to have the technology available to all involved in the competition.

easty
20-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I think Keanes brilliant, always liked him as a player and I have no problem with someone who was as good as plsyer as him having his opinion, however controversial, when asked (or even when not asked).

Why is it ok for someone like Jason McAteer to come out and call Henry a cheat, his own opinion, but then when Keane gives his opinion (a much better one if you ask me), people jump on his back for it.

This is one of the funniest interviews I've ever seen!

hibsbollah
20-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Keane is brilliant. Always liked him, even going to Celtc didnt turn me against him. I heard his interview in the car today and agreed with all of it. Nothing fake about Roy:top marks

hibbybrian
20-11-2009, 07:13 PM
That's fine, and in this case it's quite straightforward. Imagine it had happened in the first minute, would the case for a replay be as strong when they have 89 more minutes to make up the difference?

As well as that, if the foul had happened in the 89th minute of the first game of the group section, would it have attracted the same outcry? Can we really run tournaments when every decision missed by referees leads to a request for a re-match?

Of course TV evidence could have been used in the ground. But would that be fair to teams who have also suffered a dodgy decision, but didn't have the same amount of cameras there? And what about decisions that the camera misses?

Think of the Scottish Cup, for example. Say we got put out in the first round by Burntisland Shipyard and there was a single camera there that failed to record a significant error. Is it fair that Aberdeen, for example, could appeal a similar decision at Parkhead because there was blanket coverage of the game?

You have to have the technology available to all involved in the competition.

Then why all the fanfare about Fair Play - since what happened is clearly not fair :devil:

johnrebus
20-11-2009, 07:56 PM
How about Keano and Souness as joint Scotland managers ?

:duck:

mayo hibee
20-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice to see Keane talking down to everyone from his lofty position of 23rd in the Championship. Sort your own house out first Roy.

His comments on Clive Clarke tell you all you need to know about the man.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/188355/Roy-Keane-gives-his-first-interview-since-leaving-Sunderland-and-jokes-about-heart-attack-victim-Clive-Clarke.html :no way:

CallumLaidlaw
20-11-2009, 08:58 PM
It is worth remembering that, despite going out of two major tournaments because of poor refereeing, Scotland behaved with a bit more dignity than Ireland have. I'd feel more sympathy for them if their players had never cheated in their lives, but like all pros. they must have.

McGeady :wink:

Pete
20-11-2009, 11:24 PM
What a pathetic, bitter little man. That was an Ipswich press conference and he should have rebuffed all questions regarding Ireland if he was a professional in any way.

He is the manager of Ipswich Town and he should have had the dignity to keep his opinions to himself at a time when the whole of Ireland is hurting. He has done nothing but make himself look like a complete areswhole by trying to air his dirty laundry on the back of this.
Nobody is interested in his immature spat with the FAI...which was down to his own ego.

"What goes around comes around"???

If it does then someone random in the street will set out to break your leg and ruin your career at the same time...and get away with it Mr. Keane.

After his comments such Karma might just come back to haunt him. He's detatched in every sense.

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Excellent press conference IMO. It's good too see a bit of honesty instead of the usual pishy stock answers.

He's right as well if the ROI had done their jobs instead of running about Caldwell-esque they might have taken it to penalties. The hysteria that's been going on is OTT.

.Sean.
20-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Roy Keane's up there with the biggest twats in football.

For him to sit there and rip into an international side that he walked away from at such a crucial point is ridiculous.

Perhaps he should focus his attention on trying to save his job at Ipswich.

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Maybe that's why he was pissed off at getting asked so many questions about ROI?

Pete
20-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Maybe that's why he was pissed off at getting asked so many questions about ROI?

He could have said "no comment" every time and they would have got the message.

He can't even manage his own emotions let alone a football team.

wah
21-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't like Keane either, because of the way he was as a player, but don't mind the interviews too much. Thought he was quite restrained on occasion when journos were prodding him during the long sequence of pointless/winless games early in the season.

I take it you have never watched Keane play then? What ever you think of him as a manager or person is one thing but on the park he was one of the best.

poolman
21-11-2009, 12:30 AM

And I think i'm entitled to comment that your post is a right crock o' ******

This is a guy who's won loads in the game, and a brilliant player to boot, yet he's got some journos trying to get on his case :bitchy:

What have these guys done in the world of football exactly except express opinions just what Keano was doing :rolleyes:

And the guy that left his phone ringing and tried to be a smart erse :faf:

GIRUY

poolman
21-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Roy Keane's up there with the biggest twats in football.

For him to sit there and rip into an international side that he walked away from at such a crucial point is ridiculous.

Bollox

What age were you when it happened

Have you read his book

Do you remember the interviews he gave on telly at the time in between eating your coco pops and watching blue peter on telly

Do you know why exactly he walked away at the time

The guys A1 for me, talks passionately and cares about the game and was one of the best players I have ever seen in that midfield role, would loved to have asked him if he thought Mcgee's statement about IM's tackle was right :rolleyes:....Jeezo that was a tap compared to some of the tackles that Keane ripped in with

poolman
21-11-2009, 12:43 AM
What a pathetic, bitter little man. That was an Ipswich press conference and he should have rebuffed all questions regarding Ireland if he was a professional in any way.

He is the manager of Ipswich Town and he should have had the dignity to keep his opinions to himself at a time when the whole of Ireland is hurting. He has done nothing but make himself look like a complete areswhole by trying to air his dirty laundry on the back of this.
Nobody is interested in his immature spat with the FAI...which was down to his own ego.

"What goes around comes around"???

If it does then someone random in the street will set out to break your leg and ruin your career at the same time...and get away with it Mr. Keane.

After his comments such Karma might just come back to haunt him. He's detatched in every sense.

Sigh

lapsedhibee
21-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I take it you have never watched Keane play then?
:confused:

What ever you think of him as a manager or person is one thing but on the park he was one of the best.
:agree: All the great players - Pele, Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker - got sent off 13 times in their career.
"I'd come to one firm conclusion, which was to stay on the pitch for ninety minutes in every game. In other words, to curb the reckless, intemperate streak in my nature that led to sendings-off and injuries."

Broken Gnome
21-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Bollox

What age were you when it happened

Have you read his book

Do you remember the interviews he gave on telly at the time in between eating your coco pops and watching blue peter on telly

Do you know why exactly he walked away at the time

The guys A1 for me, talks passionately and cares about the game and was one of the best players I have ever seen in that midfield role, would loved to have asked him if he thought Mcgee's statement about IM's tackle was right :rolleyes:....Jeezo that was a tap compared to some of the tackles that Keane ripped in with

I hardly think you can dispute the fact that Roy Keane is an intensely dislikeable character to some people. For Alf Inge Haaland at the very least. If you take everyone that expresses a negative opinion of him you'll spend the rest of your life doing it. Admire him for his dedication, talent, honesty, whatever, but he's a man that possesses characteristics that are bound to antagonise people.