PDA

View Full Version : Hibs goalies coming up for corners, free kicks etc

Ship Hibs
18-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Was watching the Ireland game and seen Shay Given in the French penalty area late on. Just wondered if we've ever had anyone doing that, I'm sure it must have happened a few times but just can't remember who? Think Maka would be great at it.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Nick Colgan was not so good at it.

Owain_1987
18-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Nick Colgan was not so good at it.

Haha I remember that game was it not against Aberdeen lost 2 nil it was live on sky also!

greenlad
18-11-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkzVxSQXTQ

about 4.10

Owain_1987
18-11-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkzVxSQXTQ

about 4.10

I was right :greengrin

Peevemor
18-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Was watching the Ireland game and seen Shay Given in the French penalty area late on. Just wondered if we've ever had anyone doing that, I'm sure it must have happened a few times but just can't remember who? Think Maka would be great at it.

Bryan Gunn did it at East End Park toward the end of the 'relegation' season.

hibsbollah
19-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Zibby tried it a few times in that semi final:grr:

marinello59
19-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Zibby tried it a few times in that semi final:grr:

Aye , but he did it while they were attacking.:grr:

hibsbollah
19-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Aye , but he did it while they were attacking.:grr:

It wasnt Zibby's fault, i blame that Gordon Marshall for not explaining it to him.

MB62
19-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Never understood why a keeper thinks he is more likely to score than anybody else. Last night, Given goes up in the last minute for the corner, but ROI still left a defender at the halfway line in case it all went boobs up, which it did, and Given had to go scrambling back to his goal.
I would have thought the defender would have every bit as good a chance at getting on the end of something as the keeper but goalies always seem to think 'they' can be the heroes.

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2009, 09:01 AM
It wasnt Zibby's fault, i blame that Gordon Marshall for not explaining it to him.

:faf::faf::top marks

Woody1985
19-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Never understood why a keeper thinks he is more likely to score than anybody else. Last night, Given goes up in the last minute for the corner, but ROI still left a defender at the halfway line in case it all went boobs up, which it did, and Given had to go scrambling back to his goal.
I would have thought the defender would have every bit as good a chance at getting on the end of something as the keeper but goalies alwasy seem to think 'they' can be the heroes.

Maybe because the defender will have a better chance of tackling a player, more likely to be pacy and stop any potential breaks, should have better distribution if the ball breaks out to them etc etc etc. Simple really. :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
19-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I would have thought the defender would have every bit as good a chance at getting on the end of something as the keeper but goalies alwasy seem to think 'they' can be the heroes.

I think it only really works if you have a big goalie who has got a reasonable chance of getting on the end of a high ball, eg Peter Schmeichel. No point really in smaller goalies like Given or Colgan going up front IMO.

heretoday
19-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I imagine Budgie had to be stopped from doing it for every corner!

Sas_The_Hibby
19-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Stack coming just two yards off his line for a corner would be a good start..............

:wink:

O'Rourke3
19-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Goram never needed to, he scored from his own box or the penalty spot - never saw him up for a corner :agree:

Velma Dinkley
19-11-2009, 08:41 PM
pretty sure gottskalkson did it once or twice but never scored.